Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo

+20
irir123
Manoj Raj
irfan123
ravinat
Raaga_Suresh
Drunkenmunk
plum
al_gates
endrum_raja
Usha
kiru
olichudar
jaiganesh
sagi
groucho070
rajkumarc
SenthilVinu
mythila
V_S
app_engine
24 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 3 Empty Re: Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo

Post  app_engine Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:15 am

#30 seer koNdu vA veN mEgamE (nAn pAdum pAdal)

I was wondering whether there had been a mistake in the LP cover credits for nAn pAdum pAdal as it has Valee's name against machchAna vachchukkadai (GA sung that number) and GA's name against this song. Have they swapped it by mistake? Possibly not - for two reasons (yes, agree this is quite silly reasoning Laughing )

1. Valee is perfectly capable of writing such double meaning kuppai ("ErappoottaNum neerappAychchanum sondhamuLLa kANi irundhA" reminds one of his famous katta vaNdi katta vaNdi lines "Erappootti uzhuvAn avan neerappAchchi viduvAn maththa nEram mAdu kanna mEchchiduvAn")

2. 'seer koNdu vA' has a GA keyword 'rAgam' Laughing (sree rAgam onRu nee pAdu kaNNE)

These silly reasonings apart, one can definitely trust EchO records. Most blogs / websites too credit GA with the lovely SPB-SJ number.

As usual, let me plug in the link of my post on the song in the SPB-IR series HERE! If you haven't read this one before, please don't miss Smile

Also, read along for some more posts there until you reach this observation by Nerd :

Nerd wrote:

On the mukkombu thingi, didnt want to spoil your experiences and the imagery etched in your mind but could not resist. It was actually quite decent when I used to go there often in the mid-late 90s. But when I went there in late 2005 (one of my bestest friends lives in Pettavaaithalai) I can not believe what a mess that place was. Enga paaththaalum kuppai, pazhaiya iththuppOna slides for the kids, naduvila periya saakkadai, paththaadhadhukku kaadhalargaL imsai vera. And that still remains as the *only* suttrulaa/pozhuthupokku sthalam for Trichyites. The new mayorammaa (yaaraaga irundhaalum) has promised that it will change Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 3 Icon_mrgreen

But the iyarkal maruthanila azhagu is still there if you make an attempt and take one of those exquisite ottraiyadi paadhais a good 5-10 Kms away from Mukkombu. The 5 KM radius surronding Mukkombu has already been urbanized (Trichy rangekku). And yes the railway gate you talked about, still there and you certainly can hear the same old 'paLam/vaaLappalam/rasthaali/poovampalam/malaippalam' even today.

The pAdal varikaL that remind me of the marudha nilam :

பல்லவி

சீர் கொண்டு வா வெண் மேகமே
இது இனிய வசந்த காலம்
இலைகளில் இளமை துளிரும் கோலம்
இதுவே இனி என்றும் நிரந்தரம்

சரணம் 1

ஸ்ரீராகம் ஒன்று நீ பாடு கண்ணே
செவ்வாயில் தேனை நீ ஊட்டும் முன்னே
ஆலாபனை ஆராதனை
கையும் கையும் சேரும் காதல் கல்யாணம்
காமன் போகும் தேரில் காதல் ஊர்கோலம்

சரணம் 2

தீண்டாத போது என் தேகம் வாட
நீ தீண்டும் போது இன்பங்கள் கூட
என்னென்பதோ ஏன் என்பதோ
ஆடும் நேரம் பார்த்து ஆசை கூடாதோ
அங்கம் எங்கும் இன்பம் மேடை போடாதோ
youtube (has all the fun elements...ambi chEchi dance, sivamaindhar romance lol! ) :

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 3 Empty Re: Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo

Post  app_engine Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:17 pm

#31 inRaikku Enindha AnandhamE (vaidhEgi kAthirundhAL, PJ/VJ)

Lovely, lovely song!

Of course, surprise for me to learn that GA wrote this one (nanRi musicalaya website for hosting this vinyl cover! Two months back, I wouldn't have even imagined attaching GA's name to many of the songs that are getting posted in this thread and this song is definitely one among them!)

The pallavi lines beautifully set the tone of mirth and delight that engulfs the girl! ("இன்றைக்கு ஏனிந்த ஆனந்தமே, இன்பத்தில் ஆடுது என் மனமே") The terrific RS-IR-GA combo works out a nice situation, dancy song set in semi-classical style and pAdal varikaL that complement in an interesting manner! JC excels and VJ manages to (unusually) thrill the listener Smile

This song once again showcases GA's terrific ability to comb together words beautifully for a fast-running and complex melody - somewhat similar to thamthana namthana song. I want more of THIS kind of songs from rAsA - sweet melody, fast pace, enjoyable orchestration and beautiful words riding along comfortably!

BR should stop lamenting about IR-VM combo anymore but continue to encourage rAsA to work with his younger bro on one album with every song of semi-classical genre! Have poetic lines, kuzhal veeNai mirudhangam and such sweet instruments for some lilting melodies - there will definitely be an audience for it, IMHO!

A nice blog post on the songs of VK (with more written on inRaikku Enindha AnandhamE):

http://www.saravanakumaran.com/2009/07/blog-post_29.html

என் விருப்ப எண்களில் ஒன்றாக இருக்கும் இந்த பாடல் ஜெயச்சந்திரன், வாணிஜெயராம் பாடிய "இன்றைக்கு ஏனிந்த ஆனந்தமே..இன்பத்திலாடுது என் மனமே.." ஆபோகி என்ற ராகத்தில் ராஜா அமைத்த இந்த பாடல் அப்பட்டமாக மன குதூகலத்தை பிரதிபலிக்கும் ஒன்று. கங்கை அமரன் எழுதிய பாடல்களில் இது குறிப்பிட்டு சொல்லும்படியான ஒன்று. பாடல் இசை துவங்குவதற்கு முன்பாக ஒரு நீண்ட ஆலாபனையுடன் தொடங்கும். பாடல் முழுக்க வீணை அற்புதமாக கையாளப்பட்டிருக்கும். வாணிக்காகவே அமைத்தது போன்ற வேகமான ஸ்வரவரிசைகள் வேறு பாடலை பிரமாதப்படுத்தியிருக்கும்.

என்றேனும் நீங்கள், வெகுநாட்கள் எதிர்நோக்கியிருந்த விஷயம் கைகூடப்பெற்று ஆனால் உடனடியாக பகிர்ந்துகொள்ள அருகில் யாருமில்லாத நிலை ஏற்பட்டிருக்கிறதா? அப்போது தவிப்பு கலந்த குதூகலத்தின் உச்சமாய் உங்களுக்குள் ஒரு இசை நிகழுமே.. அதுதான் இது..

Interesting to note that the blogger gives due credit to GA Smile This song should easily make into the best of VJ's career in TFM (definitely among the top few she sang for rAsA!)

pAdal varikaL:

பல்லவி
இன்றைக்கு ஏனிந்த ஆனந்தமே?
இன்பத்திலாடுது என் மனமே!
கனவுகளின் சுயம்வரமோ? கண்திறந்தால் சுகம் வருமோ?

சரணம் 1
பூங்குயில் சொன்னது காதலின் மந்திரம் பூமகள் காதினிலே
பூவினைத்தூவிய பாயினில் பெண்மனம் பூத்திடும் வேளையிலே
நாயகன் கைதொடவும் வந்த நாணத்தைப் பெண் விடவும்
மஞ்சத்திலே கொஞ்சக்கொஞ்ச மங்கை உடல் கெஞ்சக்கெஞ்ச
சுகங்கள் சுவைக்கும் இரண்டு விழிகளில்

சரணம் 2
மாவிலைத்தோரணம் ஆடிய காரணம் தேவியின் திருமணமோ?
ஆலிலையோ தொட ஆளில்லையோ அதில் ஆடிடும் என் மனமோ?
காதலின் பல்லவியோ அதில் நான் அனுபல்லவியோ?
அங்கத்திலே ஏழு ஸ்வரம் இன்பத்திலே நூறு வரம்
மிதந்து மறந்து மகிழ்ந்த நெஞ்சத்தில்

youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt39-PsFz-E

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:04 pm

#32 vAn meedhilE adhikAlai nEra rAgam (rAgangaL mARuvadhillai, SJ & kuzhuvinar)

The movie's title as well as the pallavi of the song both have our GA's keyword - "rAgam" Laughing

Interestingly, this is a morning song and once again GA is brought in to write, like 'putham pudhukkAlai' of alaigaL Oyvathillai. If the AO song was for thangachchi, this one was for akkA. (kshamikkaNam - puththam pudhukkAlai was for aniyaththi & vAn meedhilE was for chEchchi).

From the vinyl covers and other movie credits, one may recall that the director of this movie, Sirumugai Ravi, was also involved in payaNangaL mudivadhillai in some capacity. That one had a "night" song (iLaya nilA) by Vairamuthu and the next "illai" venture involving Sirumugai Ravi, i.e. this one, has a morning song by GA. This is another kind of a parallel (i.e. similar to BR employing VM for nizhalgaL evening song followed by GA doing a morning song for AO.)

Very happy song - all ingradients by rAsA viz. melody, orch, chorus, interludes exhibit that feel and GA nicely complements with some optimistic lines! ("நினைவுகள் போலே வாழும் நாள் வரும்" & "நினைத்தது யாவும் வந்து கூடுமே").

Unfortunately, the portions around this song were the only optimistic / positive parts in an otherwise depressing / boring movie. Songs were popular while the movie ran out of theater pretty quickly and I had the misfortune of watching it within that short span Embarassed Well, though the 'ராசா படத்தைக் கண்ண மூடிக்கிட்டே பாக்கலாம்' thingy was applicable, we left the theater grumbling!

pAdal varikaL:

பல்லவி

வான் மீதிலே அதிகாலை நேர ராகம்
நான் பாடினேன் மனதோடு இன்ப நேரம்
காற்றினிலே கனவினிலே நாளும் ஆனந்தம்
காணுவதோ இனிமைகளே பாவை என் நெஞ்சம்தான் பாடும்

சரணம் 1

வாசல்தோறும் பல ஆசை தோன்றிடும்
வாழ்வுதோறும் வரும் பாதை மாறிடும்
நினைவுகள் போலே வாழும் நாள் வரும்

என்றென்றும் இனிமை என்றே நினைத்திரு நெஞ்சே
இன்பங்கள் உறவு என்றே தொடர்ந்திரு நெஞ்சே
இருக்கும் வரைக்கும் அமைதி கிடைக்கும்

சரணம் 2

தேவை யாவும் நலமாகும் நேரமே
தேடும் யாவும் உனைச் சேரும் காலமே
நினைத்தது யாவும் வந்து கூடுமே

ஏதேதோ கனவுகளை என் மனம் காணும்
எங்கெங்கோ நினைவுகளில் ஊர்வலம் போகும்
இளைய பருவம் நினைத்து மகிழ

youtube:

(look at Ambi chEchchi's wigs Laughing There's this villainy, young Prabhu)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBPENj0q_Iw

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:22 am; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:30 pm

App sir,
Wonderful analysis and insights on indraikku yEn inthan aanandhamE and Vaan meedhilE and infact all the songs you have mentioned. cheers cheers Amazing job that your are doing bringing forward all these classics with a big lyricist name attached to them. Now we know his value. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  groucho070 Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:50 am

+ 1 again. app, neengalE surprise agitingganA, nAnellam? Terribly terribly underrated and underappreciated this talented man Crying or Very sad

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:22 pm

nanRi V_Sji & groucho!

If you've noticed, I try to get the possibly-best-available-quality youtubes for these songs in each post. (Most songs have multiple youtube versions and some are of horrible video quality).

Please correct wherever possible if a better youtube link is available (HD / HQ etc)!

Also, please point out any grammatical blunders / spell errors etc and I will correct them immediately.

The reason is to refine these posts to some minimum standard (i.e. presentable to non-forum public). And, I would like to tweet the thread link (after reaching at least 50 songs if not 100) to the family members of GA (or to GA himself if he has some web presence).

nammAl Ana oru siRiya sEvai to rAsA's iLaval Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Also, I've already decided that 'sheNbagamE sheNbagamE, thenpothigai sandhanamE' will be the #50 song Smile

(Sorry, no democracy this time Embarassed )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:16 pm

#33 malarkaLilE ArAdhanai (karumbi vil, MV/SJ)

From a personal viewpoint (i.e. to me), movie songs are primarily concerned with music. Other considerations come after that - i.e. relating to the movie theme / situation, having appreciable poetry / thathuvams / theme / not having irritable words etc.

Such a viewpoint is possibly shaped and molded by the strong impact of IR during my growing-up days. (He came strongly into the scene when I was not a teen yet and then reigned for decades. Thus his genius pushed me into considering movie songs with such preferential attitude. Had I been born 10 years before, it would have possibly been primarily iyal and not isai, because of Kavingar Kannadasan).

So, TFM is isai, nAdakam and then iyal for me, in that order Embarassed

No wonder I didn't concern myself with actively identifying the lyricist during 70's / 80's /90's at all when my choices had been shaping up and taste buds had been getting trained Smile Looks like that is the choice of majority of people from my gen too (as that gen typically considers rAsA as the biggest thing that happened to TN in the last decades of the previous century).

Which is why I'll have to retroactively look at some songs in this thread and try to appreciate / give some due to the song writer Smile Those days, I wasn't even concerned with the words of this 'malarkaLilE ArAdhanai'. My mind was jumping from prelude to melody to percussion to interludes / accompaniments etc during each listen. This song used to be a regular on radio and elsewhere those days. Occasionally, I focussed on the voice quality / sangathi packing etc of the singer as well Embarassed Words / lines - who cared then for IR songs?

Well, I do care now Smile "மாலை நேரம் மயங்கும் நேரம்" sounds so sweet and caressing as I listen to the song now (though the primary idea came from an earlier song, reportedly loved by IR, the evergreen "மாலைப்பொழுதின் மயக்கத்திலே"! It's possible that line too got inspired from prior literature). Also, the வேதனை rhyming with ஆராதனை sounds quite brilliant and musical! GA can definitely be very proud about this song's lovely pallavi! Some websites credit M G Vallaban to this song but the disk cover clearly indicates GA (also corroborated by raaga.com).

I'll have to mention MV here - he was at his peak during this period - what lovely singing and nicely supporting / almost matching SJ who is awesome as usual! Per SukA, this is a keeravANi Smile

pAdal varikaL:

பல்லவி

மலர்களிலே ஆராதனை
மாலை நேரம் மயங்கும் நேரம்
மனங்களிலே காதலின் வேதனை

சரணம் 1

பொங்கும் தாபம் பூம்புனல் வேகம் போதையில் வாடுது
அங்கம் எங்கும் ஆசையின் ராகம் இன்னிசை பாடுது
மடியிது தான் மலரணைகள் மயங்கும் நேரம் விடியாதோ
மலர்க்கணை தொடுக்காதோ

சரணம் 2

பார்வை ஒன்றும் ஒவ்வொரு வேதம் படித்திடக் கூறுது
பாவை எண்ணம் பனி விழும் நேரம் தலைவனைச்சேருது
ரதி மடியின் ரகசியங்கள் ரசித்தேன் லயித்தேன் நெடுநேரம்
ரசனைகள் முடியாதது

thiraippAdal seems to work (again):

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1591'&lang=en

youtube:

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:55 pm

app,
Nice write up about malargalilae aaradhanai........ paatu varaiyai padikum podhae.. manadhil.. paatu varugiradhu. apadi'

manadhil padhindha padal... indha kalam pola.. uyarandha isai karuviyil kaetadhu ilai.. ordinary Radio.. adhil kaetadhu.
ordinary cinema theatre. adhil kaetadhu........

indha paatai. ipodhu.. nalla audio quality il kaetkumpodhu.. kaetka mudiyamal pona.. chinna chinna isai .. ipodhu nanraga kaetkiradhu app.. adhanal.. IR isaiyai thodarndhu kaetu kondae irukalam.. kaetu kondae irukanam...........................

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:24 pm

நன்றி, உஷா சேச்சி!

The next one for today is a similar "radio only hit" number, from 1980 Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:48 pm

#34 nee illAtha pOthu (iLamikkOlam, MV-Sujatha)

I remember reading a post about this song recently in one of our threads - but couldn't locate it quickly Embarassed

Looks like our individual posts (or even threads) don't get picked up that easily by the search engines. OTOH, (even) the Thamizh phrase "நீ இல்லாத போது" gives close to a million results in google search Smile Must be a very favourite phrase for all love stories / love poems etc Laughing

In many ways, the first line is quite endearing. Most people (or pets or things or places or relationships) are yearned for mainly in the absence. "Missing you" is a very common phrase in English and other languages too. That way, regardless of whether GA got this from popular usage or vice versa, this is another of his pAdal vari that has tons of re-use Wink

As mentioned in my previous post, this number was a regular on IOKS and thrilled me those days. (Two KJY songs from this album were very popular too - Sridevi en vAzhvil aruL seyya vA & vachcha pArvai theerAdhadi machchAn kuRi mArAdhadi). From the 1980 context, this song had some "retro feel" - reminding one of 60's songs in the melody / singing departments. rAsA's orchestration, however, was quite state-of-the-art! Sujatha, who used to be KJY's team singer for stage shows (right from her school days I think), did a decent job with MV.

While the pallavi has catchy lines depicting yearning / reunion of the lovers, the saraNam portion sweetly captures the intimacy of them. Let's look at them:

பல்லவி

நீ இல்லாத போது
ஏங்கும் நெஞ்சம் சொல்லாத கதை நூறு
அது நில்லாத புது ஆறு
உன்னோடு தான் திருமணம்
உறவினில் நறுமணம் உண்டாக வழி கூறு

சரணம் 1

முதன்முதலில் தொடும் வரை தினம் நான் எங்கோ
விரல் நுனிகள் படும்வரை விழி தான் தூங்க
காவியம் பாடும் காதல் பூங்காற்று
மனம் சேர்ந்ததே ஒரு சாதனை
மகிழ்ந்தேன் தினமும் கண்ணே

சரணம் 2

எது வரையில் சுகம் என அதை நான் காண்பேன்
இதழ் முழுவதும் சுவை என அதை நான் சேர்வேன்
ஏங்கிடும் போது எண்ணம் தானாட
இருமேனியில் ஒரு பாவனை
இருந்தால் தொடரும் இனிமை

thiraippAdal: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1090'&lang=en

youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdq1qPkAZO4

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:49 am

#35 vAdAdha rOsAppoo nAn onnu pAththEn (SPB singing in grAmaththu aththiyAyam)

RudraiyAh's second movie after 'avaL appadiththAn' was this "GA" and all the songs got penned by GA Smile

While two of the songs will have to be featured later, i.e. under 'themmAngu selections' (the sweet "Aththu mEttula' & the terrific 'oodhakkAththu veesayilE'), we'll capture the other two in the first part!

Actually I don't have to stretch myself today for this song -it had been written about in the SPB-IR thread Smile (I need not stretch for the next one either - as I should be able to dig out V_Sji's post on the Sasireka song Wink ) What was written earlier can be seen HERE !

In that post, I compared this song to 'pon mAnaththEdi nAnum poovOdu vandhEn' that was MD-ed by GA. I didn't know at that time that GA was pAdal Asiriyar for 'vAdAdha rOsAppoo'. After sitting in the composing session with aNNan, he possibly got inspired to do a similar song (like how he did 'vandhanam' of vAzhvE mAyam after sitting in the composing sessions of rAjA pArvai Wink ) In any case, I did regret that the movie was such a terrible flop that the song didn't get due recognition (i.e. was just a 'radio-only-hit').

This is one more from 'sOgappAttu' selections penned by GA. Though his typical reference of a poo is in the pallavi (rOsAppoo), this one is not some odd one (like the non-existent sendhoorappoo or other novelties caught by him such as kotha mallippoo, poovarasam poo etc). It's the lovely rOsAppoo that had been part and parcel of poems & lovers from time immemorial! Such a beautiful flower that possibly inspired sayings like 'thing of beauty is a joy for ever', that kind of gets translated into 'vAdAdha' in this song. (I don't know, the rOsAppoo referred here could be a 'poovai' because the song describes the rose of singing a sOgappAttu).

The saranam has a somewhat unusual format of first line repeating but second line not repeating Smile

பல்லவி

வாடாத ரோசாப்பூ நான் ஒண்ணு பாத்தேன்
பாடாத சோகத்தோட பாட்டும் பாடக்கேட்டேன்

சரணம் 1

காத்தாடி போலாடும் பெண்ணோட சிறு நெஞ்சு
கையோட சேர்த்தாச்சு ஏதோ ஒண்ணு ஆச்சு
காத்தாடி போலாடும் பெண்ணோட சிறு நெஞ்சு
முடிவேதும் தெரியாம மோகம் தப்பிப்போச்சு
அம்மாடி, அம்மாடி ஊர் எல்லாம் போலி வேசம்
ஆனாலும் பரிதாபம் ஏதோ பாவம்

சரணம் 2

காத்தோட போயாச்சு என்னோட பாரம்
ஆத்தோட போயாச்சு என் காலநேரம்
காத்தோட போயாச்சு என்னோட பாரம்
காவேரி நீர் மேலே கன்னி போட்ட கோலம்
அம்மாடி, அம்மாடி கூத்தாடி ஆடும் ஆட்டம்
எல்லாமே தப்பாச்சு ஏங்கும் நேரம்

thiraippAdal :

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0955'&lang=en

youtube:

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:41 am

Hats off to your efforts here App, not only in making us revisit these gem of songs but also putting lot of emphasis on the lyrical aspects. A thoroughly enjoyable thread, thanks to your engaging posts. Cannot help but deeply admire your reasoning behind this thread creation, in ensuring GA gets the rightful credit, atleast from us fans. cheers cheers cheers.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:58 pm

nanRi rajkumarc, for your appreciation!

GA definitely deserves more than the usual attention that IRFs give him, per my recent realization.

I have so far been uncovering only one area - hit songs that he wrote for IR which were not (necessarily) "janaranjaga themmAngu" numbers.

He had other specializations too - which we'll visit in course of time, like

a) themmAngu gems written under IR's music (may get into this territory post #50, will easily last for another 50+ numbers)

b) songs written by him for MDs other than IR (will not dwell too much upon it - the forum being IR-centric, but will try to highlight the famous ones in a few posts)

c) GA's career as singer (mostly IR composed songs in this section)

d) GA's career as MD (limited discussion again, but will highlight the famous ones)

e) GA's career as movie writer / director (most had IR's fantastic songs & BGM IIRC)

f) His other specialities (stage programs etc), I'll need a lot of help from other forum members to detail these Embarassed Will also google to get youtubes and other resources available.

Shocked

Looks like total 1 year project!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:02 am

#36 poovE, idhu poojaikkAlamE (grAmaththu athyAyam, BSS)

As mentioned in a prior post, this song had been posted about in the "forgotten singers" thread by V_Sji - please don't miss that post !

The word 'poovE' - either alone or with a prefix had been in pallavi of TF songs every now and then. Just around the same time, another song had the same 'poovE' first word and our village tea shop used to play that PJ-SJ duet often. That movie's name was 'malargaLilE avaL malligai' (title picked from evergreen song by kavingar - 'kAlangaLil avaL vasantham'). The pallavi first line was 'poovE, malligaippoovE, nenjil bOdhai ERudhadi'. Full of malar / poo - orE naRumaNam. That disk had another song - a SPB/MV duet 'nAnum neeyum inRu iLaingan, nALai indha ulakin thalaivvan' that had thAzhakkozhuppu and loved by the tea shop guy, got played often. Per dhool Saravanan that unreleased movie was perhaps GA's first MD assignment Embarassed

He later MD-ed 'malargaLE malarungaL' with a couple of hit numbers (isaikkavO nam kalyANA rAgam & PS singing "suttum vizhichchudar dhAn kaNNammA"). Later when GA got a chance to direct his first movie produced by his brother, kOzhi koovudhu, sure enough there was another 'poovE, iLaiya poovE' song! All these flower connections besides the already discussed sendhoorappoo, poongathavE, kotha mallippoo etc. There's no question about GA being surrounded by a lot of "flowers" in his initial career Laughing

This BSS number was possibly written first & then melody set for the same (aka "pAttukku mettu"), as the pallavi's melody progression is somewhat unusual among IR-GA combo songs.

பல்லவி

பூவே இது பூஜைக்காலமே இளம் பூவை ராகமே
மனம் தாவி வந்த தாகம் தீர்க்க நாளும் வேண்டுமே
நாளும் உன்னை நினைத்து நினைத்து தவித்துத்தவித்து ஏங்கும் உள்ளம் பாடாதோ?
வாழை என வளர்ந்து வளர்ந்து தினமும் துடிப்பதோ?

சரணம் 1

சலங்கைத்தாளமே எந்தன் காதில் கேட்குமோ? குயிலே!
வாழை, மாவிலை, மஞ்சள் வாசம் தோன்றுமோ?
பனி வாடைக்காற்று வீசும்போது பாவை மேனி வாடுதே!

சரணம் 2

கண்ணை மூடியும் மனம் தூங்கவில்லையே! நெஞ்சே!
கண்ணன் ஞாபகம் உன்னில் நீங்கவில்லையே!
திரு மாலை சேர்ந்த தேவி ஏக்கம் தீர வேண்டியேங்குதே

thiraippAdal : http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0954'&lang=en

youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ir8ibeKIA

Last edited by app_engine on Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:59 pm

#37 kAlai nErappoonguyil (amman kOvil kizhakkAlE - SJ-SPB duet & SPB solo versions on disk)

The SPB version got discussed in that long series. That thread also identified the on-screen version to be a duet (SPB-SJ). What a sweet song!

As usual, this got mentally associated with Vairamuthu those days - by default, without checking credits Embarassed Not just by uninitiated ones like me, even people who maintain a blog / website for "pAdal varikaL" happily credit this song to VM Mad After seeing this blog, I was wondering whether the disk cover in musicalaya could be wrong (that credits all songs of this movie to GA; has even a picture of him)!

So, I watched the first couple of minutes of the movie (titles) on youtube to confirm that all the songs got penned by GA. In addition, the album is for sale at flipkart and that too identifies GA as the lyricist! Smile So, for sure we have another sweet morning song from GA! (We've already discussed putham puthukkAlai & vAn meedhilE adhikAlai nEra rAgam written by the underappreciated lyricist! Well, one can also include "vaikaRaiyil vaikai karaiyil" as a morning song, though a sad one...). The line "பட்டு விரித்தது புல்வெளி, பட்டுத்தெறித்தது விண்ணொளி" vividly depicts what happens on a lovely spring morning!

This is yet another song based on AbOgi rAgam (as told by Vinatha / baroque), after the terrific 'indRaikku Enindha AnandhamE' for the same director R Sundarrajan Smile After throwing in the usual rAgam / swaram keywords, GA injects "mOhanam" (இளமை என்னும் மோகனம் இணைந்து பாடும் என் மனம்), possibly to confuse ignorant listeners like me who could assume the rAgam to be mOhanam Embarassed Or, is there any connection between these two rAgams? Any rAgamAlikA kind of mid-song changes? Experts please confirm Smile

பல்லவி

காலை நேரப் பூங்குயில் கவிதை பாடப்போகுது
கலைந்து போன மேகங்கள் கவனமாகக் கேட்குது
கேட்ட பாடல் காற்றிலே கேள்வியாகப் போகுமோ
எங்கே உன் ராகம் ஸ்வரம்?

சரணம் 1

மேடை போடும் பௌர்ணமி ஆடிப்பாடும் ஓர் நதி
வெள்ள ஒளியினில் மேகலை
மெல்ல மயங்குது என் நிலை
புதிய மேகம் கவிதை பாடும்
பூபாளம் பாடாமல் எந்தன் காலை தோன்றும் எந்நாளும்

சரணம் 2

இளமை என்னும் மோகனம்
இணைந்து பாடும் என் மனம்
பட்டு விரித்தது புல்வெளி பட்டுத் தெறித்தது விண்ணொளி
தினமும் பாடும் எனது பாடல்
காற்றோடும் ஆற்றோடும் இன்றும் என்றும் கேட்கும் என்றென்றும்

thiraippAdal link for the duet version : http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0177'&lang=en

youtube :

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:42 am

#38 un pArvaiyil OrAyiram kavaidhai nAn ezhudhuvEn (amman kOvil kizhakkAlE, KSC/KJY)

One of the tests for good poem (well, let's say "movie song") is whether it inspires others to write (or at least try) poems / songs Smile

Look at this blog post that starts with the first lines of this AKK song:

உன் பார்வையில் ஓராயிரம்

There's a poem written by a girl there, a simple one that goes like :

முதல் வார்த்தை இல்லை
முதல் பார்வை தான்
ஒலிக்கிறது இன்றும் சத்தமாய்

ஒன்று அருகில் வா
அல்லது தூர செல்
இரண்டுக்கும் நடுவில்
உள்ள இடைவெளியில் இருந்து
பார்த்தே கொல்லாதே!

வெட்கம் என் வார்த்தைகளை விழுங்கும் போதும்
உன் பார்வை என் பெண்மையை தட்டி எழுப்பும் போதும்
கண்கள் உன்னையில்லாமல்
மண்ணையே பார்க்கும்

Not just this sample, a simple googling with the first line of this KSC-KJY song written by GA will showcase how much it has stirred people with pen (~keyboard)! Going by another simpler sample , it looks like the song reached a number of wannabe female kavidhAyinis Laughing

In any case, some lovely words got combed together by GA to smoothly go with the terrific melody! The singers and arrangements (rAsA loop similar to 'thAmtha dheemtha' song of pagalil oru iravu) decorate the song further!

பல்லவி

உன் பார்வையில் ஓராயிரம்
கவிதை நான் எழுதுவேன் காற்றில் நானே
நிதமும் உன்னை நினைக்கிறேன்
நினைவினாலே அணைக்கிறேன்

சரணம் 1

அசைத்து இசைத்தது வளைக்கரம் தான்
இசைந்து இசைத்தது புது ஸ்வரம் தான்
சிரித்த சிரிப்பொலி சிலம்பொலி தான்
கழுத்தில் இருப்பது வலம்புரி தான்
இருக்கும் வரைக்கும் எடுத்துக்கொடுக்கும்
மனதை மயிலிடம் இழந்தேனே
மயங்கி தினம் தினம் விழுந்தேனே
மறந்து இருந்து பறந்து தினம் மகிழ

சரணம் 2

அணைத்து நனைந்தது தலையணைதான்
அடுத்த அடியென்ன எடுப்பது நான்
படுக்கை விரித்தது உனக்கெனத்தான்
இடுப்பை வளைத்துனை அணைத்திடத்தான்
நினைக்க மறந்தால் தனித்துப் பறந்தேன்
மறைத்த முகத்திரை திறப்பாயோ
திறந்து அகச்சிறை இருப்பாயோ
இருந்து விருந்து இரண்டு மனம் இணைய

thiraippadal (KJY solo) : http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0181'&lang=en

youtube (duet version):

Balaji Sakthivel's Kalloori reused this song:

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:01 am

#39 poomAlaiyE, thOL sEra vA (pagal nilavu, IR/SJ/counterpoints)

This song can be called "one of the finest accomplishments in IFM". There need not be any more detailed analysis as V_Sji has done a phenomenal job in the IR-duets thread of the hub. He initially created expectation by suspense in Post#1 and then came up with a series of posts to appreciate this miracle! Please check them out in the following links :

Post#2 Post#3 Post#4 Post#5 Post#6 !

Interestingly, there's no mention of GA in that analysis Smile Well, I don't recall mention of GA in any of the 100's of posts in tfmpage on this tremendous song! Given the current state of IR-GA relationship, we cannot possibly expect the mention of GA when this song gets played in rAsA concerts ; but I don't remember hearing GA's name in otherwise stage / TV shows too. In addition, half-baked blogs, like this pAdal vari blog credit this song to some other lyricist!

All this despite having to write lines to suit a complex music score where each word counted and none should become a thorn amidst a bed of soft roses! Add the additional task of interspersing phrases for better duet effect! IMHO, like a masterly rope-walker, GA deftly handled the challenges thrown in by his aNNan!

Without further blA-blA, let me get the pAdal varikaL and the music / video links Smile

பல்லவி

பூமாலையே தோள் சேர வா
பூமாலையே ஏங்கும் இரு தோள் சேர வா

ஏங்கும் இரு இளைய மனது இணையும் பொழுது
பூஜை மணியோசை பூவை மனதாசை புதியதோர் உலகிலே பறந்ததே

பூமாலையே தோள் சேர வா
வாசம் வரும் பூமாலையே ஏங்கும் இரு தோள் சேர வா!

சரணம் 1

நான் உனை நினைக்காத நாள் இல்லையே
தேனினைத் தீண்டாத பூ இல்லையே

நான் உனை நினைக்காத நாள் இல்லையே
என்னை உனக்கென்று கொடுத்தேன்

தேனினைத் தீண்டாத பூ இல்லையே
ஏங்கும் இளங்காதல் மயில் நான்

தேன் துளி பூ வாயில் பூவிழி மான் சாயல்
கன்னி எழுதும் வண்ணம் முழுதும்
வந்து தழுவும் ஜென்மம் முழுதும்
நாளும் பிரியாமல் காலம் தெரியாமல்
கலையெலாம் பழகுவோம் அனுதினம்

சரணம் 2

கோடையில் வாடாத கோவில் புறா
காமனைக் காணாமல் காணும் கனா

கோடையில் வாடாத கோவில் புறா
இரவில் தூங்காது ஏங்க

காமனைக் காணாமல் காணும் கனா
நாளும் மனம் போகும் எங்கோ

விழிகளும் மூடாது விடிந்திடக் கூடாது
கன்னி இதயம் என்றும் உதயம் இன்று தெரியும் இன்பம் புரியும்
காற்று சுதி மீட்ட தாளம் நதி கூட்ட
கனவுகள் எதிர் வரும் அனுபவம்!

thiraippAdal: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2627'&lang=en

youtube (has about two minutes of the "sichchuvEshan" scene prior to the start of the song, enjoy the BGM there):

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:53 pm

Un paravaiyil oorayiram..... Thank u app. idhu GA nu ipo dhan theriyum.......... kavidhai Ilakanathuku utpattu
azhagaga irukum ivaroda kavidhai ellam......

அசைத்து இசைத்தது வளைக்கரம் தான்
இசைந்து இசைத்தது புது ஸ்வரம் தான்

kavidhai ilakanam.. therindhu kondal inum rasikalam ivaroda kavidhaiyai... ( vera onum ilai. en amma marabu kavidhai
katru kondu kavidhai ezhudhugirar. adhil sandham .. adhavadhu Oliyai vaithu kavidhaiyil pizhaii irundhal sari seidhu
kolla vendum. adhanal ammavin kavidhaiyai.. vaai vittu padithu.. inga thappu anga thappu indha vaarthai endru solven.Very Happy..

GA kavidhai.. sandham... romba correct aga irukum...........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:07 am

Usha wrote:
GA kavidhai.. sandham... romba correct aga irukum...........

Very true, because he is also a musical Smile

nanRi akkA, for the sharp observation!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:42 am

#40 ennuyriE vA innuyirE (poonthOttakkAvalkAran, KSC-SPB)

This bAdAm halwA song had been discussed with a picture in the SPB-IR thread Smile Little did I know then that all the songs of this movie were written by GA.

Let me repeat that picture, which is a very big favourite with me:

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 3 261513753_a12e410562

While the EchO vinyl cover honors GA with a picture and all (courtesy musicalaya website), I got shocked to see that it credited the song to P Suseela Shocked How can they make such a blunder? Hopefully they are correct about the lyricist Embarassed I don't have many other resources on the web to check on this song reliably! (BTW, I'll post the vinyl cover pic in due time in the appropriate thread...please visit musicalaya to confirm the singer name)!

Very enjoyable lines - Chithra inimai kotti irukka SPB appadiyE bOdhai ERRi iruppAR :

பல்லவி

என்னுயிரே வா இன்னுயிரே
என்னருகே வா என்னுயிரே
மலர் தூவும் மழைச்சாரல்
மனமெங்கும் ஒரு கூதல்

சரணம் 1

காளிதாசன் காதல் காவியம் நேரில் காணும் நாளிது
காமதேவன் தேரின் ஓவியம் கூடிச்சேரும் தோளிது
பார்வை அம்பு பாய்ந்தது பார்த்துப்பார்த்துத்தேய்ந்தது
மாலை நேரம் ஓய்ந்தது மானும் மார்பில் சாய்ந்தது
காதல் பாட்டுப்பாடாது கண்கள் இன்று மூடாது
தேகம் தேடிக்கூடாது தென்றல் வந்து ஆடாது
பூவிது பொன்னிது தூவும்போது

சரணம் 2

மாலை சூடும் மாலை நேரமே காளை நெஞ்சின் பாரமே
மாலை போல கூடிச்சேருமே போதை இன்னும் ஏறுமே
காதல் என்னும் மோகனம் காதில் வந்து கூறவா
கன்னி தேக வாகனம் கண்டு நானும் மாறவா
கன்னம் என்னும் தேன் கிண்ணம் இன்பம் ஊறும் பூவண்ணம்
இன்னும் கொஞ்சம் தா என்னும் இன்றும் என்றும் நீ என்னும்
காலையும் மாலையும் காதல் ராகம்

thiraippAdal :http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2824'&lang=en

youtube link:

(I was expecting to see Vijayakanth on the video but surprise - both the boy and girl are unknown faces!

The group "dance" is terrific fun - vizhundhu vizhundhu sirikkalAm)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:08 am

#41 poongAtRE theeNdAthey (kungumachchimizh, SJ)

I remember mentioning this song when I wrote about 'nilavu thoongum nEram' in the SPB-IR thread (as my fav from this album). I was pleasantly surprised to learn from the vinyl cover that this got penned by GA and thus can be hosted in this thread Smile Lovely number by SJ & kuzhuvinar!

BTW, the pallavi line has the GA keyword , poo Laughing All that I remembered about this movie was Ilavarasi suddenly becoming like a mature woman and the harmoica sound. Though I watched this movie in theater those days, I totally forgot that it had Revathy in it. While searching for the youtube of this song today, I realized that she is on-screen for this number! Though I couldn't find a youtube for this song alone, the movie is hosted in parts on youtube and this part has the song within a minute :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlU-2mtTr8M

Well, the video quality is not that great and so is the audio quality. thiraippAdal link has a slightly better version :http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1777'&lang=en

GA being an expert of such female solos, effortlessly penned the lines it appears. And, as usual, they nicely ride along the beautiful melody! Enjoyable bass score too Smile

பல்லவி

பூங்காற்றே தீண்டாதே
என் நெஞ்சைத் தூண்டாதே
பூவிழி மாதிவள் நீ தொடும் போதிவள்
போராடும் எண்ணங்கள் தாங்காதே
என் பொன்மேனி கண்மூடித்தூங்காதே

சரணம் 1

வெள்ளிரத மேகமே செல்லுகின்ற போதிலே
என் அருமை மன்னனைக் கண்டு வருவாய்
கன்னி இளம் பூங்கொடி காதலெனும் வியாதியில்
துன்பப்படும் சேதியை சொல்லிவந்து சேருவாய்
தேகத்தில் மோகத்தீ ஆறாமல்
தேய்ந்திடும் சூடத்தில் தேகத்தின் மாடத்தில்
என் கண்ணன் கைசேரச் சொல்வாயோ
அடி என் தூதை நீ சொல்ல செல்வாயோ

சரணம் 2

கண்ணனவன் காலடி கண்டு தினம் சேரடி
என்றும் உந்தன் பாதையில் இன்பங்களடி
கங்கை நதி போலவே மங்கை மனம் ஓடுதே
பொங்கிப்பல ராகமே இந்த மனம் பாடுதே
பல்லாக்கில் ஊர்கோலம் போகாதோ
மாதிவள் மான் இனம் பூவிதழ் தேன் இனம்
உண்ணாமல் ஏங்காதோ என் உள்ளம்
இனி என்னோடு ஒன்றாகும் உன் உள்ளம்

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:32 pm

app_engine wrote:#41 poongAtRE theeNdAthey (kungumachchimizh, SJ)

Nice tune. Reminds me of man vaasanai song. Same raagam ? Or just the instruments/orchestration ?

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:59 pm

kiru wrote: Same raagam ?

As per the geniusraja blog, this song is set to the rAgam "Brindavana Saranga".

Poongatre Theendathe from Kunguma Chimizh (Tamil 1985). Set to Brindavana saranga, this track starts off with the female chorus singing parts of the ragam. Observe the female chorus in the charanams backing Janaki – they stick to the ragam. In the second interlude, the female chorus further expands on the ragam. Fantastic execution of the ragam.

Then there is this rAgA appreciation blog that explains this rAgam and lists the songs by various composers. Following are listed as IR candidates :

Ilaiyaraaja’s
Aathaadi Paavada Kaathaada – Poovilangu
Intha Jilla Muzhukka Nalla Theriyum – Priyanka
Maadathile Kanni Maadathile – Veera

Another blog post on the rAgam

Ilayaraja has also used this ragam in many of his compositions, even some later ones like Konjom Kuyil Paatu and Kovil Mani Ketene from the film Kanna Unnai Thedigiren. Some other compositions in this rAgam include muthunahaiye (by K.V.Mahadevan) and the more recent nenjAngootil (from Dishoom) composed by Vijay Anthony.

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:28 pm

#42 indha mAn undhan sondha mAn (IR/KSC in karagAttakkAran)

One of the most romantic duets from the IR-GA combo ever Smile After composing a very soothing melody to which his brother wrote lovely lines, IR decided to also give his voice for the sugary number!

Right from the pallavi, GA relished throwing in all kinds of sweet uvamaikaL - mostly time tested ones in TFM and other Indian litt (e.g. mAn for peN) but the appropriate placement of them makes the song so romantic. Some of these need to be picked out and emphasized here:

வேல் விழி போடும் தூண்டிலே நான் விழலானேன் தோளிலே
We've heard this வேல் விழி for many years in TFM. However, the usage is quite interesting here, GA combines that with the thooNdil that results in the boy sokkifying to fall on her shoulders. How sweet! (The fact that heroine KanagA had lovely eyes simply adds to the effect in a terrific way!). At once, the girl too responds by singing "நூலிடை தேயும் நோயிலே" - once again sanga kAla uvamai but the combination of these two lines gets that extraordinary effect!

Likewise, the conclusion of that saraNam picks the mythological metaphor of gangai as a girl but reverses it - from 'கங்கை எனும் பெண்' to 'பெண் எனும் கங்கை' - that gives it such a sensuousness and one gets into a really romantic mood & feelings : "பெண்ணென்னும் கங்கைக்குள் பேரின்பமே" Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 3 2798411019

In the second saraNam too GA lets loose with mOham / dhAgam / nANam / vEdhanai / sorgam / Anandham etc (not forgetting that tricky word 'மேகலை' to add to the effectu Laughing ) As the song came years after IR's breakup with another pAdalAsiriyar, there's some kozhuppu element too in the first word of saraNam #2 Wink

Well, karagAttakkAran is always a prize catch - whichever way one looks at it!

Nice quality video :

pAdal varikaL:

பல்லவி

இந்த மான் உந்தன் சொந்த மான்
பக்கம் வந்து தான் சிந்து பாடும்
சிந்தைக்குள் ஆடும் ஜீவனே கண்மணியே
சந்திக்க வேண்டும் தேவியே என்னுயிரே

சரணம் 1

வேல் விழி போடும் தூண்டிலே நான் விழலானேன் தோளிலே
நூலிடை தேயும் நோயிலே நான் வரம் கேட்கும் கோயிலே

அன்னமே எந்தன் சொர்ணமே உந்தன் எண்ணமே வானவில் வண்ணமே
கன்னமே மதுக் கிண்ணமே அதில் பொன்மணி வைரங்கள் மின்னுமே

எண்ணமே தொல்லை பண்ணுமே
பெண்ணென்னும் கங்கைக்குள் பேரின்பமே

சரணம் 2

பொன்மணி மேகலை ஆடுதே உன்விழி தான் இடம் தேடுதே
பெண் உடல் பார்த்ததும் நாணுதே இன்பத்தில் வேதனை ஆனதே

எண்ணத்தான் உன்னை எண்ணித்தான் உடன் மின்னத்தான் வேதனை பின்னத்தான்
சொல்லித்தான் நெஞ்சைக் கிள்ளித்தான் என்னை சொர்க்கத்தில் தேவனும் சோதித்தான்

மோகந்தான் சிந்தும் தேகம் தான்
தாகத்தில் நான் நிற்க ஆனந்தம் தான்

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:16 pm; edited 3 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next