Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IR's songs for heroines with "happy / carefree as single" theme - #13 vaNNappoongAvanam

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

IR's songs for heroines with "happy / carefree as single" theme - #13 vaNNappoongAvanam - Page 2 Empty Re: IR's songs for heroines with "happy / carefree as single" theme - #13 vaNNappoongAvanam

Post  app_engine Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:25 pm

#12 thEr koNdu senRavan yArenRu solladi thOzhi
(PS, enakkuL oruvan)

I was trying to find a "happy-carefree-single-lady" song with Alamelu on screen (I believe that is the original name of Sripriya). After all she played one of the most interesting women roles ever portrayed in TF - especially the ones with IR music - in avaL appadiththAn. Well, neither that character nor any song in that movie qualifies for this thread ('vAzhkkai Odam sella' is a sad song).

Then I realized that she had done very few movies under IR's music - much less when the songs are to be identified as "single-carefree" Embarassed Embarassed  Songs like 'nee kEttAl nAn mAttEn enRA' are all love-romance-locked kind.

The closest one can find for her is this - i.e. in this scene she is HITHERTO not into any kind of relationships. 

Also, dedicated to her profession - classical dance performances - and touring as far as Nepal to perform! That should have definitely been a life of enjoyment. (Of course, there is baggage attached, as one finds out later in the movie about her "caretakers". However, when this song is presented in the movie, she is performing in front of an elite audience and the chief guest even falls in love with her Laughing )

The whole movie is so contrived - with such a hopeless story / plot for 80's and was doomed to fail - which it did at BO. I wonder how all those sharp minds of Kamal, SPM, KB did not figure it out when they launched the project. 

May be - just may be - they all thought IR's score alone can get this movie huge success (which was the case with many dumb films those days. Of course, IR did not disappoint and gave a fantastic, awesome album for this).  Unfortunately, it did not work out that way!

This song is #IR_Waltz of course and I've written much about this in the PS thread Smile No need to repeat the merits once again here. Please check the following post and a few subsequent posts in that thread:
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t23p25-the-ir-ps-thread#938

Let me reproduce VM's pAdal varigaL (filled with risque stuff) and the YT here, to complete the post!

தேர் கொண்டு சென்றவன் யாரென்று சொல்லடி தோழி, என் தோழி !
காணவில்லை தலைவனை, காயவில்லை தலையணை
தேட வேண்டும் எந்தன் ஜீவனை!

பொட்டு வைத்தான், பூவைக்கொண்டு சுட்டு வைத்தான்
தொட்டு வைத்தான், பெண்மைக்குள்ளே இட்டு வைத்தான்
என்ன ஒரு வேதனை? பத்து விரல் சோதனை!
தேனாற்றில் பாலோட, நானென்ன வாதாட?
கண் விழித்தால் காலை வேளை காணவில்லையே!

ஊமைத்தென்றல் வந்து என்னைக்கொல்கிறதே
கண்களிலே உப்பு மழை பெய்கிறதே
உள்ளம் தொட்ட மன்மதா, என்னை விட்டுச்செல்வதா?
உன் சேதி வாராதா, உள் நெஞ்சம் ஆறாதா?
இந்த அலை நிலவைப்பார்த்துக் கைகள் நீட்டுதா?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brn7ySTHQVo

app_engine

Usha and BC like this post

Back to top Go down

IR's songs for heroines with "happy / carefree as single" theme - #13 vaNNappoongAvanam - Page 2 Empty Re: IR's songs for heroines with "happy / carefree as single" theme - #13 vaNNappoongAvanam

Post  app_engine Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:51 pm

#13 vaNNappoongAvanam chinna brindhAvanam
(KSC, eeramAna rOjAvE)

Now that I've validated this song indeed had a "carefree single" setting in the movie, this should be OK to host in this thread Smile

Being the motivation behind opening this thread and also on the repeat for many days during my drives, this song deserves more than one post!

So, let me restrict to the standard stuff (like the suitability to this thread, lyrics, YT etc) in this post. I want to do more appreciation for IR in another post (or a few more posts).

Such an underappreciated gem (i.e. from my personal point of view) for all these years since its arrival!

வண்ணப் பூங்காவனம் சின்ன பிருந்தாவனம்
இனிய கவிதை உதயமாகுது

தென்றல் தாலாட்டுது ஜீவ ராகம்
அன்பு பாராட்டுது மோக கீதம்
இங்கு பூபாள சங்கீதம் பாடு

நீல வானிலே மேகம் போலவே ரெக்கை கட்டி ஆட எண்ணுதே
வெள்ளம் போலவே பொங்கி ஓடியே நெஞ்சம் இன்று தாளம் போடுதே
கானம் பாடும் வானம்பாடி நாம் தானே கவலை இந்த வாழ்வில் ஏது?
மேகம் போல மின்னல் போல வாழ்வோமே இன்பமாலை நீயும் சூடு!
வாலிபம் தங்க மேடை - ஆடிப்பார்ப்போம் இந்த வேளை
அன்புக்கிங்கு பஞ்சமில்லை வஞ்சமில்லையே!

அன்பு ஒன்று தான் தேவையானது அச்சம் இங்கு தேவையில்லையே
ஆணும் பெண்ணுமே நேசம் கொள்வது என்றும் இங்கு பாவமில்லையே
அன்பினாலே நாளை நாமும் ராஜாங்கம் ஆள வேண்டும் ஆள வேண்டும்
ஜாதி பேதம் பார்க்கும் மூடப் பஞ்சாங்கம் ஓட வேண்டும் ஓட வேண்டும்
எந்த ஊரும் சொந்த ஊர் தான் எந்த நாடும் நமது நாடு!
உள்ளம் இங்கே உள்ளவர்க்கு சொந்தமுண்டு ஹோய்!

"கவலை இந்த வாழ்வில் ஏது" kind of encapsulates the essence of this thread! Life without any major anxiety at this MOMENT! Enjoying the freedom of youth and singlehood!

Well, as mentioned in the outset, I had to check the YT of the movie if the song is in correct context and it is. Thankfully, I need not watch more than a few minutes of the movie (that I have no idea whether good or bad) as this song comes right away in the second scene! After the titles there's a jail scene where a girl refuses to have lunch. Immediately she starts reminiscing and the flashback starts with this song, voila! (I'm so happy I don't have to watch further Laughing)

As mentioned before, the picturization is nice as per standards of 1990! The director definitely has sense of music and the song is NOT an easy one to match with visuals (it's so  -much of thuLLal with tons of variations) and he mostly coped with it - largely helped by the editor! That he paid attention to small bits of music - by trying to match with the scenes is itself commendable (unlike many other directors of IR songs who miserably failed to do some justice for a number of classics)!

Muthulingam, the lyricist, has matched the thuLLal tune and feel nicely! What's more, he even included the thought of "யாதும் ஊரே யாவரும் கேளிர்" beautifully in the last two lines of second saraNam :

எந்த ஊரும் சொந்த ஊர் தான் எந்த நாடும் நமது நாடு!
உள்ளம் இங்கே உள்ளவர்க்கு சொந்தமுண்டு

In addition, he carefully pushed in the standard TN agenda of "சாதி மறுப்பு":

அன்பினாலே நாளை நாமும் ராஜாங்கம் ஆள வேண்டும் ஆள வேண்டும்
ஜாதி பேதம் பார்க்கும் மூடப் பஞ்சாங்கம் ஓட வேண்டும் ஓட வேண்டும்

Quite an interesting package! Let us talk about the musical greatness later Wink
(To be continued)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kybnr9LfpkQ

app_engine

BC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:27 am

app_engine wrote:#13 vaNNappoongAvanam chinna brindhAvanam
(KSC, eeramAna rOjAvE)

A crazy-good song.  An iconic female solo and a favorite amongst many girls those days.  The album itself was an unquestionable superhit.  We all thought Mohini was going to make it big, but sadly she did not.

BC

app_engine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Jose S Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:54 pm

Enjoying this upbeat compilation. The commentary accompanying each one is even more interesting.

Jose S

app_engine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:00 am

app_engine wrote:#7 chinnappoo chinnappoo kaNNellAm vaNNappoo
(SJ, jappAnil kalyANarAman)

This song played on repeat for 2+ hours yesterday - on a long drive.

Interestingly, there was more "critical" analysis running on the mind - than the usual 100% appreciation - as to why this song is not as much celebrated as other songs of SJ (like "chinna chinna vaNNakkuyil") nowadays.

Some thoughts came to mind - each time only to wiped blank when SJ sings "இளவேனில் காலம் - இளமாலை நேரம்" as I completely forget myself and even close my eyes or sing along, while driving Smile

I need to listen again on computer audio or somewhere to list down my take - as to why this is not so much celebrated (or did not become a deserved-level-hit)...

May be tomorrow Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:16 am

ஏதாவது மேடை நிகழ்ச்சிகள் அல்லது "கத கேளு: டிவி நிகழ்ச்சி அல்லது தனிப்பட்ட சந்திப்பில் ராசாவிடம் யாராவது "சின்னப்பூ சின்னப்பூ கண்ணெல்லாம் வண்ணப்பூ" பாட்டு குறித்துக் கேட்டால் மகிழ்ச்சியாக இருக்கும் Smile

"என்ன ஆச்சு? ஏன் இப்படி?" - போன்ற கேள்விகள் கேட்பார்கள் என எதிர்பார்க்கிறேன்!

இந்தப்பாடல் சுமார் 20-30 விதமான சிறப்பான உணவுகள் உள்ள ஒரு விருந்து என்றாலும் சிலபல காரணங்களால் பேரளவில் அறியப்படவில்லை என்பது ஒரு வரலாற்று உண்மை.

அதற்கும் அப்பால், இன்றுவரை ராசா விசிறிகள் இந்தப்பாட்டைப் போற்றினாலும் பொது மக்கள் மறந்து விட்டனர் என்பது இன்னொரு உண்மை. (கடைசியாக எப்போது இது சிறுவர் சிறுமிகள் அல்லது பின்னணிப்பாடகி ஆக முயல்வோர் தொலைக்காட்சியில் பாடினார்கள் என்று எனக்குத் தெரியவில்லை).

ராசாவின் "போராளி விசிறி" என்ற உணர்வைச் சிறிது நேரம் மாற்றி வைத்து விட்டு (அதாவது, கிட்டத்தட்ட நர்சரி ஸ்கூல் மாணவன் / மாணவி போன்ற நிலையில் - அதாவது - அனிருத் மற்றும் ரகு விசிறி போன்ற மனநிலையில்) இந்தப்பாட்டைக் கேட்டுப்பார்த்து நான் கண்டுபிடித்த சில "குறைகள்" தான் இந்தப்பதிவு Smile

"எதுக்கு இவ்வளவு முன்னுரை, பொருளுக்கு வாங்க" - என்ற நீங்க சொல்வது கேட்கிறது Smile

என்றாலும், கிட்டத்தட்ட 3 மணி நேரம் ரிப்பீட் ஆக - விடாமல் இந்தப்பாட்டுக்கேட்ட பின் கருத்துச் சொல்கிறேன் - தயவு செய்து பொறுமையாகக் கேளுங்கள்!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:03 am

கம்பிக்கருவிகளுக்கான இசைக்கோர்ப்பு அட்டகாசம், மனதை மயக்கும் மெட்டு, ஈடு இணையில்லாத ஜானகியின் திறமை - இப்படிப்பல சிறப்பான அம்சங்கள் இருக்கும் பாடல்.

ஓரளவுக்குப் பெரிய ப்ராஜெக்டில் வந்தது (இருவேடக் கமல், முன்பு பெருவெற்றி பெற்ற படத்தின் இரண்டாம் பாகம், வெளிநாட்டில் படமாக்கல் போன்றவை).

என்றாலும் "ஓரளவுக்கு ஹிட்" என்பதற்கு அப்பால், பல்லாண்டுகள் கடந்தும் பேசப்படவும் பாடப்படவும் வேண்டிய பாடல் ஏன் அப்படி ஆகவில்லை என்பதற்காக எனது அலசல்.

இந்தப்பாடல் குறித்து ராசாவிடம் "முதலில் என்ன சொன்னார்கள், என்னென்ன மாற்றங்கள் பின்னர் செய்தார்கள்" என்றெல்லாம் யாராவது கேட்டால் நன்றாக இருக்கும்.

ஏனென்றால், இவ்வளவு பெரிய ப்ராஜக்ட் / அதுவும் பஞ்சு சாருக்கு என்ற நிலையில் ஒரு சில குறைகள் வெளிப்படையாகத் தெரிகின்றன. அதாவது, என் கருத்துப்படி Smile

1. தாளக்கருவிகளின் கூட்டமைப்பு கொஞ்சம் சாதாரணம். அதாவது, வெளிவந்த ஆண்டைக்கணக்கில் கொண்டால்.

ஏதோ தொடக்க 70-களில் வந்த பாட்டுப்போல மிக எளிய அமைப்பு. அல்லது ராசாவுக்கு முந்தையவர்கள் செய்தது போன்ற அளவில். பல்லவிக்கும் சரணத்துக்கும் ஒரே போல என்பதே ஒரு குறை தான். அதுவும் >6 நிமிடம் ஓடும் இப்படிப்பட்ட பாட்டுக்கெல்லாம் பொதுவாக ராசா எக்கச்சக்க ரிதம் மாற்றங்கள் செய்வார் அப்படி ஒன்றும் பெரிதாக இல்லை. (நடுவில் ஒரு இடையிசையில் வரும் மாறுபட்ட கருவியமைப்பும் - அதாவது "லுலுலூ லுலுலூ" என்ற கோரஸ் வரும்போது - சற்றே "களைப்பாக" இருக்கிறது).

2. ஆறு ஆண்டுகளாக எக்கச்சக்கமாக நடித்து மசாலா நடிகை ஆகிப்போயிருந்த ஒரு பெண்ணை "சின்னப்பூ சின்னப்பூ" என்று வாழ்த்த ராசாவுக்கு மனது வரவில்லை என்று தோன்றுகிறது. ("பெரிய பொம்பளை ஆயாச்சு, இதிலென்ன இப்படி ஒரு பாட்டு" என்று அவரது மனதில் தோன்றி இருக்கலாம்).

சிறப்பாகப் பாடியுள்ளார் ஜானகி என்றாலும், இப்படிப்பட்ட ஒரு பாட்டுக்கு ராசா புதிய குரலையோ (அல்லது குறைந்த பட்சம் சித்ராவையோ) ஏன் பாட வைக்கவில்லை என்று தோன்றுகிறது. "பழைய ஆள் ராதா தானே?" என்ற ஒரு களைப்பு தோன்றியிருக்கலாம்.

(தொடரும்)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2