Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SPB's "pre-IR" TFM songs / status - only 191 could be found!

+10
counterpoint
Raaga_Suresh
Saravanan
baroque
Drunkenmunk
groucho070
plum
V_S
Usha
app_engine
14 posters

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

SPB's "pre-IR" TFM songs / status - only 191 could be found! - Page 12 Empty Re: SPB's "pre-IR" TFM songs / status - only 191 could be found!

Post  app_engine Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:20 pm

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 104
கல்யாணராமன் கோலம் கண்டாள் 
(தாய்க்கு ஒரு பிள்ளை, 1972)

rA.mu.104 of SPB
kalyANarAman kOlam kaNdAL 
(thAykku oru piLLai, 1972, with PS)
MD : S-G
Lyric : Vaali (Pulamaippiththan? Muthu?)

The movie titles show three lyricists and I cannot authenticate who wrote what Embarassed Most probably this one was by Vaali going by the pallavi references but you never know!

The youtube shows Jaishankar (the movie also had AVM Rajan who had AM Raja sing 'chinnakkaNNanE nAn thandhai ena neeyum piLLai ena', a hit song). Savithri played mom of Jaishankar as per what I read in the hub. (The whole movie is on youtube but there's zero possibility that I can watch that one ever).

SPB is singing with thuLLal / enthu and all but somehow his voice in this song never appealed to me. S-G made the song sound like the 70's-indhi songs (and they continued in that imitation mode thru out their career - with few exceptions here and there).

Nothing much on-screen or pAdal varigaL, but I'm documenting for completeness of the exercise here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps9EiUvY_9k

கல்யாணராமன் கோலம் கண்டாள் 
கண்ணான சீதை காதல் கொண்டாள்

நவரச நாடகம் கண்ணோடு கொஞ்சம் நடந்தது ஒரு கணமே 
கனிரசமானவள் நெஞ்சோடு நெஞ்சம் கலந்தது மறு கணமே 
அம்மம்மா என்றாள் அன்னந்தான் அதுவே ஆரம்ப காலம் அல்லவோ? 

அறிமுகமானவள் என்றாலும் நாணம் அவளுக்கும் வருமல்லவா?
அனுபவம் ஆனபின் உண்டாகும் இன்பம் இருவர்க்கும் சமம் அல்லவா?
அள்ளிக்கொள் என்றே சொல்லித்தான் தந்தால் ஆசைக்குப்பஞ்சம் என்னவோ?

app_engine

Back to top Go down

SPB's "pre-IR" TFM songs / status - only 191 could be found! - Page 12 Empty Re: SPB's "pre-IR" TFM songs / status - only 191 could be found!

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:05 pm

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 105
நான் காதல் கிளி 
(தாய்க்கு ஒரு பிள்ளை, 1972)

rA.mu.105 of SPB
nAn kAdhal kiLi 
(thAykku oru piLLai, 1972, with PS)
Lyric : Pulamaippiththan (Vaali? Muthu?)

There's another SPB-PS duet in the same movie and it sounds like a dubbing song from some Hindi film Embarassed Embarassed
(One wonders if S-G had started this business even in their beginning years...)

In any case, this is the first time I'm listening to this song. Never heard it on radio or otherwise (unlike the previous kalyANarAman song which had some air time those days).

But for the kadamai uNarchchi, I wouldn't have completed the whole song at all - boring number Sad

Here are the pAdal varigaL and youtube for any who cares:

நான் காதல் கிளி 
செம்மாங்கனி செம்மாதுளை 
கொத்தோடு வா முத்தாக வா

தத்தி தத்திச் செல்லும் நீ அன்னம் என்று சொல்வேன்
தாளம் போட்டுப்பாடும் உன்னை மன்னன் என்று சொல்வேன்
பாட்டினில் சொன்னதெல்லாம் பார்வையில் சொன்னால் என்ன?
தேனில் ஊறும் எண்ணங்கள் தினம் தினம் ஆவலில் கூடிடலாம்!

அன்னை இன்பம் காண நீ உன்னைத் தியாகம் செய்தாய்
இமயம் அந்தத்தெய்வம் வாழ என்றும் தியாகம் செய்வேன்
குலமகள் தெய்வம் என்றால் குறுநகை கோவில் அன்றோ
மாறும் காலம் பொன்னாகும் அனைவரும் கூடியே வாழ்ந்திடலாம்

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brLHv1PAQ60

I've guessed the lyricist to be Pulamaippiththan, going by the MGR-ish lyrics. There's currently no method of establishing the authenticity as already mentioned in the previous post. Three names in the movie titles. 

Unless someone has the 'pAttu pushthagam' or the vinyl cover, we cannot establish who wrote which song. (Including the most popular of the album, the 'chinnakkaNNanE' sung by AMR).

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:19 pm

There are at least 2 more songs in this 1972.

endhan dEvanin pAdal enna & pani muththam

Unfortunately, the credits cannot be established (except that both songs are by SPB-PS).

The first one is attached to two movies if one goes by net resources Shocked
(iRaivan irukkinRAn - says dhool.com   / one youtube / inbaminge ; OTOH, many websites including youtube / inbaminge attach the song to 'pon magaL vandhAL' - even the video is on youtube in which Jaishankar & Lakshmi dance around)

Does anyone know for sure which movie that song is from?  Also, the sounds strongly point to S-G as MD. However, Udhaya says in dhool that it is a MSV song, even elaborately discussing on the neLivu / suLivu of the melody Embarassed

Which movie was that song actually from? Who was the real MD? And what about the lyricist?

The other song seems to be from the movie 'yAr jambulingam'  (as per inbaminge). However, it's not found anywhere else...to be authenticated.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:01 pm

Let me post more details of the song and keep the thread moving Smile

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 106
எந்தன் தேவனின் பாடல் என்ன
(பொன் மகள் வந்தாள் / இறைவன் இருக்கின்றான், 1972)

rA.mu.106 of SPB
endhan dEvanin pAdal enna
(ponmagaL vandhAL / iRaivan irukkinRAn, 1972, with PS)
MD : S-G (some say MSV)
Lyric : ?

The song was a favorite during school days when heard on the radio. Most who listened to radio in 70's can definitely relate to this thuLLal number, especially the starting humming! (My main interest was that in the song and there's some interesting change in the middle of the saraNam too). 

The song strongly resembles indhi music of 70's (sounds like L-P of those days and that's why I won't hesitate to attach this to S-G, unlike dhool Udhaya who felt it was MSV).

One won't be surprised that I can't identify the lyricist - after all it is difficult even to establish the exact name of the movie it got used. MD's name is guess work too Laughing

Anyways, I posted the youtube in the previous post : 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xem36hA2pgE

Here are the pAdal varigaL:
எந்தன் தேவனின் பாடல் என்ன
அதில் ஏதோ ஏக்கம் என்ன
நெஞ்சம் பூப்பந்தாய்த் துள்ளாதோ?
மஞ்சம் வாவென்று சொல்லாதோ?
அள்ளவோ, உண்ணவோ?

எந்தன் தேவியின் ஆடல் என்ன
அதில் காணும் பாவம் என்ன

தண்ணீரில் துள்ளாத செம்மீன்கள்
வஞ்சிப்பெண் கண்ணுக்குள் நீராடக்கண்டேனே
நீலவானில் நீந்துகின்ற மேகங்களே
எங்கள் காதல் என்றும் வாழ்கவென்று பாடுங்களேன்

பன்னீரும் மை வண்ண ஜவ்வாதும் 
கண்ணோடு கொண்டாடும் என்மேனி உன்சொந்தம்
வெள்ளி வன்ண தீபம் உந்தன் கண்ணல்லவோ
அதில் பள்ளி கொண்ட காதல் தெய்வம் நானல்லவோ

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:41 am

We have just one more song to complete this 1972 chronicle of SPB in TFM.

I've probably heard this song once or twice on radio. It is still identifiable when I head at inbaminge site :

Listen to கனி முத்தம் பதிந்தது on inbaminge site

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 107
கனி முத்தம் பதிந்தது
(யார் ஜம்புலிங்கம், 1972)

rA.mu.107 of SPB
pani muththam pathindhadhu
(yAr Jambulingam, 1972, with PS)
MD : T R Pappa
Lyric : ?

In this case too, there's very little documentation available on the web. Neither can any entry be found on youtube.

Let me get the lyrics here, to complete the documentation. (I don't know much about this movie and anyone who is associated with it otherwise)...

கனி முத்தம் பதிந்தது கொடி மேலே 
பனி முத்தம் பதிந்தது மலர் மேலே 
முகில் முத்தம் பதிந்தது மலை மேலே 
உன் முதல் முத்தம் பதிந்ததென் இதழ் மேலே 

வா வா என்னை ஆதரிக்க நீ வா 
வா வா என்னைக்காதலிக்க நீ வா 

பூவிழியால் ஒரு ஓவியம் வரைந்தேன் காதலன் உள்ளத்திலே 
புன்னகையால் ஒரு காவியம் வரைந்தேன் காதலி நெஞ்சத்திலே 
எழுதிய கவிதைக்கு பரிசென்னவோ 
கொடுப்பது கொடுத்தால் சுவையல்லவோ 

தேன்குடம் தாங்கிய மாந்தளிர் மேனியை நான் தொடும் நேரத்திலே 
நூலிடை மேலொரு நாடகம் நடந்ததைக் கண் சொல்லும் நாணத்திலே 
இரவினில் ரகசியம் வெளிப்படுமோ 
இளமையின் ரகசியம் புலப்படுமோ

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:13 pm

Let me start 1973 with a personal favorite - of very long time, right from school days!

One of the best SPB-SJ duets that didn't have IR as MD (even though he was playing guitar for the song and was serving as an assistant to the composer at that time). GKV was the MD and the song had both Kannada and Thamizh versions, with kavingar writing the lyrics for TF. BTW, (L)Vaidyanathan is credited as the assistant in the movie titles .

Interestingly, there is another song in this album which the debutant lyricist Muthulingam claims had major inputs from IR - thanjAvooru cheemaiyilE - was kind of rehashed by IR himself in enga ooru pAttukkAran. Not my kaNdupidippu, all these got discussed in tfmpage many times, please refer the following SOTD threads there :
http://tfmpage.com/forum/354.20880.03.21.22.html
http://tfmpage.com/forum/4537.20880.03.21.22.html

Also, Saravanan sir had written in detail about this song there - which was then moved to dhool.com:
http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/342.html

Interestingly, the tfmpage also hosts a collection of Saravanan sir's posts on GKV :
http://www.tfmpage.com/my/md/gkvsara.html

All the above are really interesting links that any TFM-virumbi should feast on, IMHO!

Coming back to my kadamai, here are the lovely lyrics and horrible youtube:

தேன் சிந்துதே வானம் உனை எனைத் தாலாட்டுதே
மேகங்களே தரும் ராகங்களே எந்நாளும் வாழ்க

பன்னீரில் ஆடும் செவ்வாழைக் கால்கள்
பனி மேடை போடும் பால் வண்ண மேனி
கொண்டாடுதே சுகம் சுகம் பருவங்கள் வாழ்க

வைதேகி முன்னே ரகுவம்ச ராமன்
விளையாட வந்தால் வேறேன்ன வேண்டும்
சொர்க்கங்களே வரும் தரும் சொந்தங்கள் வாழ்க

கண்ணோடு கண்கள் கவிபாட வேண்டும்
கையோடு கைகள் உறவாட வேண்டும்
கன்னங்களே இதம் பதம் காலங்கள் வாழ்க

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCpQUgKU4YI

As mentioned above, a big favorite right from those days. Since our school had the disk in their collection, the songs got played frequently in all the school functions. The anniversary often had students dancing / doing skits etc on that 'thanjAvooru seemaiyilE' song. This album definitely sparked off my love for the SPB-SJ combo and SJ's voice for folksy numbers and prepared my ears for what was to come later in the form of IR songs Smile

During a recent super singer visit, SJ mentioned that GKV loved the singing of SJ so much that he even fought with producers to have her sing. 

SJ remarked that an irritated producer asked GKV "ஜானகி என்ன உன் அத்தை மகளா?". 

GKV promptly replied back : "அதுக்கும் மேலே! என் அம்மா மகள்!" 

Such a nice reply! the clap

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 108
தேன் சிந்துதே வானம்
(பொண்ணுக்குத் தங்க மனசு, 1973)

rA.mu.108 of SPB
thEn sindhudhE vAnam
(poNNukkuth thanga manasu, 1973, with SJ)
MD : GKV
Lyric : Kannadasan

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:55 pm

Top class song. Childhood favorite of mine. Dad's college time favorite and this song was also in Kannadasan duets cassette we had as one of his favorite duets too.

There is a video (Raj TV with Abaswaram Ramji) where IR speaks specially on this song wrt Kannadasan's poetry speed and creativity. This also happens to be the first song where IR saw Kannadasan in a professional capacity. Important song that way. IR's description of Kavignar penning the song is an absolute delight. His follow up from his own music is too good. 

From 7:48 to 12:30.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:10 pm

Just adding SPB's Telugu rendition of same song. Sounds beautiful in Telugu too

Solo in Telugu. Female version in Telugu by P Susheela. The Kannada version was a duet like the Tamil one, rendered by PBS and S Janaki. Since it is not SPB, not plugging here.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:31 am

nanRi DM, for sharing that IR video!

BTW, IR's memory is remarkable - that poNNukkuth thanga manasu movie got made with P Madhavan mERpArvai & Devaraj-Mohan as directors. (The duo that later directed annakkiLi). This much I saw in the movie titles and IR casually quotes them there!

Considering his age, to recall such incidents even after 100's of movies and 1000's of songs is a great testimony to his terrific memory and sharpness of mind. This is one of the major strengths of him, aiding him in a great way not to sound repetitive / keeping his music fresh, even after such huge quantity of output!

I don't know if there is enough technology to study his genius and analyze...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Saravanan Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:57 am

Great going, App!

Saravanan

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:34 am

nanRi Saravanan sir!

I think there had been some unanswered questions / doubts in some of the posts above Embarassed  

Whenever you find time, please enlighten us Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:43 am

This one is a nice song - especially the SPB portions! (However, I didn't like it much those days because of the irritating English portions by JJ in the song...I feel the same towards those Randor Guy lines even now but I'm able to separate them out and just enjoy the SPB portion and the nice MSV melody in this song).

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 109
நானென்றால் அது அவளும் நானும்
(சூரியகாந்தி, 1973)

rA.mu.109 of SPB
nAnenRAl adhu avaLum nAnum
(sooriyakAnthi, 1973, with JJ)
MD : MSV
Lyric : Vaali / Randor Guy wrote the English lines it seems, as per dhool : http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/171.html

The song was a big radio hit those days. However, 'Paramasivan kazhuththil irundhu' was / is my most fav song from this movie Smile
(Kannadasan sings that song on screen, in a stage show)

நானென்றால் அது அவளும் நானும் 
அவளென்றால் அது நானும் அவளும்
Yeah, the whole truth
நான் சொன்னால் அது அவளின் வேதம்
அவள் சொன்னால் அது தான் என் எண்ணம்
And nothing but truth

கட்டிய கணவன் கட்டளைப்படியே காரியமாற்றும் குணமுடையாள்
In thought, word and deed!
நான் செய்த முடிவைத் தான் செய்த முடிவாய் நினைத்தே பார்க்கும் மனமுடையாள்
Such a noble heart!
புருஷனுக்கருகே சரிசமமாக அமர்ந்திடத் தயங்கும் பண்புடையாள்
Oh there he goes again! 
கடவுளின் மேலாய்க்கணவனை மதித்து வணங்கிடும் இனிய அன்புடையாள்
God Bless me!

ஆண் மகன் வகுத்த எல்லையைக் கடந்து நடந்தாள் ராகவன் தலைவி
Remember what happened to her!
கணவன் கிழித்த கோட்டைக் கடந்து அறியாள் அடியேன் மனவி
Yes always yours sincerely
கொண்டவன் வீடு குடிசை என்றாலும் மாளிகை போலே நினைப்பாளே
Oh, really? Don't make me blush!
அவளொரு பாதி நானொரு பாதி என்பது போலே நடப்பாளே
The better half and the bitter half!

The movie titles that are available on the 3 different youtubes available don't list the lyricist or male singers Embarassed One of them simply says that both JJ and Manorama sang for themselves. 

That Manorama song 'தெரியாதா நோக்கு தெரியாதோ' was such a rage those days. Even my school had the disk and had it played too often (and yes, that song too got featured in school anniversary many times by way of horrible dance shows Embarassed )

This song too is a "staged" one :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWH2aplXjG0

SPB definitely rocks in this number!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:19 am

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 110
என் காதல் கண்மணி
(மஞ்சள் குங்குமம், 1973)

rA.mu.110 of SPB
en kAdhal kaNmaNi
(manjaL kungumam, 1973)
Lyric : Vaali

என் காதல் கண்மணி ஏதேதோ நினத்தாளோ
சொல்ல நாணம் வந்ததோ சொல்லாமல் மறைத்தாளோ
ராதா ராதா ராதா

என் வீட்டுத்தோட்டத்தின் புது மல்லிகை 
எந்நாளும் சிந்தட்டும் இளம் புன்னகை
வாடாத மலரே தேயாத நிலவே
நாள் தோறும் என்னோடு உறவாட வா! ராதா!

கண்ணுக்குள் விளையாடும் கலை அன்னமே
காலத்தில் அழியாத எழில் வண்ணமே
கடல் வானம் யாவும் தடம் மாறினாலும்
மாறாத நிலை கொண்ட மனமுண்டு, வா! ராதா!

உன் நெஞ்சம் பொன்னென்று அறியாததோ
உனதெல்லாம் எனதென்று தெரியாதததோ
பனி தூங்கும் விழியே பால் போன்ற மனமே
வருங்காலம் நமதென்ற முடிவோடு வா! ராதா!

Very sweet song, used to be a big favorite those days! 

SPB provides all the value add to this song. Excellent / dramatic singing that possibly suits the situation.

And the 70's Hindi-song-like feel is provided by S-G. (Not sure if this was a kalaichchelvam).

The song sounds sweet even today - evergreen without question!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDaoesIU0iU

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:48 pm

That song had "rAdhA, rAdhA, rAdhA" repetitively and it's interesting to see that there came to be a movie called rAdhA in the same year Smile

Looks like the same combo (Shankar Ganesh / Vaali / SPB) for this next song. 

(However, the MD / Lyricist credits cannot be authenticated using movie titles or dhool.com or similar reliable sources. I'm going by the Thamizh wiki article on the movie for the MD (which is typically quite accurate). Lyricist is simply a guess and based on some internet posts here and there...)

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 111
கடவுள் மீது ஆணை 
(ராதா, 1973)

rA.mu.111 of SPB
kadavuL meedhu ANai
(rAdhA, 1973, with PS)
Lyric : Vaali (?)

கடவுள் மீது ஆணை உன்னைக் கை விடமாட்டேன்
உயிர்க்காதல் மீது ஆணை வேறு கை தொடமாட்டேன்

பச்சைப்புல்லில் மெத்தை விரித்து பஞ்சவர்ணக்கிள்ளை இரண்டு 
இச்சை தீர கட்டிப்புரண்டு விளையாடும் போது
பட்டப்பகல் நேரமென்று பெட்டை மயங்க
ஆசைக்கென்ன வெட்கம் என்று ஆணும் நெருங்க
இடம் தந்த பின்னால் எண்ணம் தடம் மாறுமோ?

பனியிட்ட முத்தம் மலரில் கனியிட்ட முத்தம் கிளையில்
முதல் (முகில்? ) இட்ட முத்தம் மலையில் நான் பார்க்கிறேன்
கட்டழகன் இட்ட முத்தம் பட்டு இதழில்
தித்திக்கின்ற காலம் வரும் பள்ளியறையில்
மணப்பந்தல் மாலையெல்லாம் வரவேண்டுமோ?

The saraNam is quite interesting - even reminds one of some good MGR songs  - and enjoyable to me!  

PS is quite awesome in this song and SPB is good too.

The song had a lot of radio time those days (both AIR and SLBC). Some nice veeNai portions in the song by S-G in the ludes, one of the better songs by them from that time period.

There's no video available, audio can be heard at  : 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yfm9a3mncU

Smile

Last edited by app_engine on Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:51 pm

@rajinirams confirmed in twitter that the lyricist is of course Vaali.

He informed that there was a re-telecast of the poet's interview recently in one of the TV channels where he talks about this particular song.

கரெக்டா தான் guess பண்றோம்...

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:11 pm

A first-time listen song today.

Of the most-irritating-genre in indhi movies (for me)...that way, there's nothing much in the MSV melody or orchestration in the song. It sounds like one of those 1000's of indhi group dance songs with claps (qawwali?). Very rarely did song of this genre stood out (nAn siriththAl deepAvaLi / aththi marappoovidhu by rAsA and kaNNALanE by ARR are very impressive ones, for e.g.).

Nothing special in this number musically - except the youththu-sounding SPB-SJ pair.

However, the song cannot be simply dismissed - as Pulamaippiththan had some not-so-bad word play, which was expected of such pOtti songs I think...

Look at the lines here :

கோகிலங்கள் இசைபாட கொத்துப்பூ பரிசளிக்கும் 
கோலம் அழியாத குலிஸ்தானி அஸ்ஸலாம் அலைக்கும் 
மார்க்கம் தழைக்க வந்த மஹபூப் சுப்ஹானி
வாழ்ந்திருக்கும் பாக்தாத் வளநகரின் எழில்ராணி அலைக்கும் ஸலாம் 

நவாபுக்கொரு கேள்வி நல்ல ஜவாப் சொல்லைய்யா 
சவால் விட்டு சலாம் போட்டுப் போக வந்தாயா? 
ஒ மேரி ப்யாரி நீ அல்வாப்பேச்சுக்காரி 
கேலி என்ன கிண்டல் என்ன கேட்டுப்பாரு கேள்வி!

இலையும் பூவும் கனியும் இல்லாமல் எல்லோரும் சொல்லுவது என்ன வாழை?
குலமும் நலமும் குணமும் கெடாமல் வாழையடி வாழை என்று வந்த வாழை! 

அக்காளை ஒருத்தனும் அப்பாவை ஒருத்தியும் கல்யாணம் செய்வதென்ன சரி தானா?
(அக்)காளை ஒருத்தனும் (அப்)பாவை ஒருத்தியும் அழகாய்க் கல்யாணம் செய்யலாமே?

கன்னம் இடுவதும் களவு செய்வதும் உண்மையில் குற்றம் இல்லா ஊரு எந்த ஊரோ?
கன்னத்தில் கன்னம் இட்டும் நெஞ்கைக்களவு செய்தும் கன்னியரும் காளையரும் காதல் செய்யும் ஊராம்! 

கையை உயர்த்திடக் கையில் உயர்ந்த கை, அது என்ன?
வாழ்க்கையை உயர்த்திட வாழ்க்கையில் உயர்ந்த கை, நம்பிக்கை!
அம்பு விடாதவன் துன்புறுத்தாத வில், அது என்ன?
ஏழு நிறத்தினில் வானில் எழுந்திடும் வானவில் 
ஆயிரம் காலமும் நீரினில் வாழ்ந்திடும் மான், எந்த மான்?
நாலு புறத்திலும் நீர் உள்ள சீர் எனும்  மான், அந்தமான்!

சூரிய சந்திரர் வானில் வருவது எதனாலே?
நிரந்தரமானது பூமியில் வராது, அதனாலே!

There's youtube available for this rare song (JJ competing with Ravichandran):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGM47bA7hL8

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 112
நவாபுக்கொரு கேள்வி
(பாக்தாத் பேரழகி, 1973)

rA.mu.112 of SPB
nawAbukkoru kELvi
(bAghdAd pErazhagi, 1973, with SJ)
Lyric : Pulamaippiththan

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:45 pm

Looks like there had been a ton of movies by Jaishankar in this time period.

This "amman aruL" is another, with Manjula as the heroine.

As in the case of most of those movies, they gave a song to SPB. (Especially whenever S-G happened to be the MD and the song typically resembled some indhi song of the time period).

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 113
ஒன்றே ஒன்று நீ தரவேண்டும் 
(அம்மன் அருள், 1973)

rA.mu.113 of SPB
onRE onRu nee thara veNdum
(amman aruL, 1973, with PS)
Lyric : Vaali (?)

Nothing much to write about this unimpressive song. Yes, I've heard it before on radio but never liked it!

ஒன்றே ஒன்று நீ தரவேண்டும் ஒன்றென்ன நூறாய் நான் தருவேனே
இன்றல்ல நாளை சூடட்டும் மாலை கேட்டதைத் தருவேன் நான் தானே

பட்டுத்தளிர்க்கொடியில் பச்சைப்பசும் கிளிகள் தொட்டுக்கொண்டு பேசும் சிந்து
புன்னைமர நிழலில் சின்னஞ்சிறு அணில்கள் கொஞ்சட்டும் முத்தங்கள் தந்து
ஓடை நீரில் வாளை மீன்கள் ஜாடையில் சொல்லும் நாடகம் என்னென்ன
ஓடும் தென்றல் பூவைப்பார்த்து கூறும் கதைகள் என்னென்ன

உன்னைக்கண்டு எனக்கு என்னென்னவோ நினைப்பு சொல்லச்சொல்ல மயக்கம் கண்ணா
இன்னும் என்ன மயக்கம் நெஞ்சில் உள்ள வரைக்கும் அள்ளி அள்ளி எடுப்போம் ஒண்ணா
நாலில் ஒன்று நாணம் என்று பெண் மனம் கொஞ்சம் அஞ்சுவதென்னென்ன
அச்சம் என்ன ஆசை கொண்டு துள்ளிடும் உள்ளம் பூப்பந்து

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcKOMy88FDw

This exercise of catalog-ing the pre-IR SPB songs is getting laborious (though the knowledge that there are not too many left is comforting, may be another 50-60 numbers max.).

Well, I'm determined to complete this within a reasonable time period Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:18 pm

There's no movie youtube or otherwise authentic info on the web to totally validate the MD-Lyricist info of the next song.

However, going by an old hub thread and generally available internet info, following song is categorized as MSV-KD combo :

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 114
பூங்கொடியே பூங்கொடியே  
(ஸ்கூல் மாஸ்டர், 1973)

rA.mu.114 of SPB
poongodiyE poongodiyE
(school master, 1973, with SJ)

There is another difficulty in finding the right credits because of the movie name having multiple versions (2 in Thamizh itself, one an old dubbed one featuring Sivaji G by the same director and many versions in other languages with the same title).

In any case, the song is clearly a SPB-SJ number and there cannot be any doubt in that Smile Also, I've heard it a few times on radio those days (never liked it then and not much impressed now too)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZbcdkvBkw8

Here are the pAdal vadigaL, that get a frequently genre-shifting mettu and arrangements:

பூங்கொடியே பூங்கொடியே பூவிருந்தால் தருவாயோ
பொன்னைக்கொண்டு மாலைகட்டி மாலையிட வருவாயோ
பூந்தோட்டம் நல்ல பூந்தோட்டம் ஒரு புடவையில் ஒளிந்தது மெதுவாக
பார்க்கவோ பறிக்கவோ சேர்க்கவோ அணியவோ
பெண்ணின் மனதில் எண்ணம் உள்ளது கண்ணன் சொன்னால் போதாதோ 

கண்களிலே நாணம் வரும் கைகளினால் மூடி விட்டேன்
கைகளினால் மூடி விட்டால் காதலுமா ஒடி விடும்
கன்னங்களில் என்னென்னவோ மின்னல் விளையாடும்
தாங்கவோ தழுவவோ உண்ணவோ உருகவோ
வருஷம் மாசம் போகப்போக வளரும் ஆசை தீராது

பூமியிலே வானம் வந்து போதைகொண்டு சேர்ந்துவிடும்
சேர்ந்தவுடன் மழை பொழியும் பூமியெங்கும் வெள்ளம் வரும்
வெள்ளத்தினால் பிள்ளைகள் போல் முல்லை விளையாடும்
எடுக்கவோ தொடுக்கவோ கொடுக்கவோ முடிக்கவோ
பெண்ணின் மனதில் எண்ணம் உள்ளது கண்ணன் சொன்னால் போதாதோ

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:28 pm

A first-time-listen song next.

This one from MSV-KD combo as well, for a Lakshmi - Muthuraman movie it seems. While the details of the movie and this song are not widely seen on the net, the song itself got mentioned in the tfmpage thread that we referred in the outset (the Thenraja one) Smile

Interestingly, the youtube has vinyl cover and thus easy to authenticate the MD / Lyricist info Smile

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omhSFNsApJM

கண்ணோடு மீனைக்கண்டு கண்ணாடி மேனி கண்டு 
துள்ளல் போடுது தூண்டில் போடுது என் மனமே பொன் மனமே உன் வசமே 
கை போடும் தூண்டில் கண்டு மை போடும் கண்கள் ரெண்டு 
வட்டம் போடுது திட்டம் போடுது அவசரமா அதிசயமா ரகசியமா

செம்பஞ்சுக்கொழுந்து பூவாக மலர்ந்து தேனுக்குள் நீராடும் மாயம் என்ன?
சம்பங்கி நிழலில் செண்பகப்படுக்கை மானிடம் தான் பாடும் ராகம் என்ன?
மஞ்சள் இட்ட பெண்மை உன் பக்கம் கொண்டாட 
கொஞ்சும் கிளி என்று என் கண்கள் வண்டாட

இலை விழுந்து மலர் விழுந்து காய் விழுந்து கனி விழுந்து சாய்ந்தேன் நான் கண்ணே!
அருகிருந்து ஒருவிருந்து புதுவிருந்து மதுவிருந்து பாய்ந்தேன் நான் கண்ணா!
என்ன சொல்லி உனை அழைப்பது அம்மாடி 
கொஞ்சம் சொல்லிக் கையை எடுங்கள் அப்பாடி

Nothing interesting about this song and I may never hear it again voluntarily Smile

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 115
கண்ணோடு மீனைக்கண்டு  
(தலைப்பிரசவம்,1973)

rA.mu.115 of SPB
kaNNOdu meenaikkaNdu
(thalaippirasavam, 1973, with PS)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:25 pm

This is quite a rare song from 1973 but I've heard it before on radio Smile

The movie as well as the song are available on youtube but there are otherwise not much references Embarassed
(For example, the tfmpage collection didn't mention this among old SPB songs. Also, I could not find any pAdal varigal on web to clean-up, had to type it all Embarassed )

Anyways, here you go - a fun song featuring Jai Shankar and Major :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wt_xZ9rKOQ

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 116
நேற்று வேறு இன்று வேறு நாளை வேறு 
(விஜயா,1973)

rA.mu.116 of SPB
nEtRu vERu inRu vERu nALai vERu
(Vijaya, 1973, with Kovai Soundarrajan)
MD : Devarajan
Lyricist : Kannadasan

The co-singer, Kovai Soundarrajan was heard in a few songs those days but never became really popular.

நேற்று வேறு இன்று வேறு நாளை வேறு 
தினம் நாகரீகம் என்பதற்கு அர்த்தம் வேறு 

மாற்றுகின்ற ஆடை வேறு அணிகள் வேறு 
தினம் மாறுகின்ற உலகில் நீயும் மாறிப்பாரு, தாத்தா மாறிப்பாரு  

ஆடை மாற்றி வாழ்வதல்ல நாகரீகம் 
தினம் அன்பு செய்து தர்மம் காக்கும் நாகரீகம் 
இறைவன் மீது பக்தியுள்ள நாகரீகம் 
அது இதயமுள்ள பழமையான நாகரீகம் 

சந்திரனில் இறங்குகின்ற மனிதன் எங்கே 
இன்னும் சந்திரனை வணங்குகின்ற நீங்கள் எங்கே 
கோயில் தேடிப்பூஜை செய்ய நேரமில்லை 
நாங்கள் கொண்டு வந்த புதுமைக்கின்று ஈடுமில்லை 

நாடகத்துத் தூணைப்போல சைடு இறக்கி 
அந்த நரிக்குறவர் போல் மணிகள் கழுத்தில் அடுக்கி 
குடுகுடுப்பைக்காரனைப்போல் சட்டையைப் போட்டு
நீங்கள் கொண்டு வந்த புதுமை வெறும் வெத்து வேட்டு 

எட்டு முழம் வேட்டியை நான் சுமக்க முடியுமா 
இல்லை ஏழு முழம் துண்டைத்தானும் தாங்க முடியுமா 
பட்டையாக நீறும் இட்டால் சகிக்க முடியுமா 
உங்கள் பரம்பரையை இந்தக்காலம் நினைக்க முடியுமா

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:45 pm

There is a Ramanna movie in 1973 featuring T R Pappa as the MD (with Govardhanam as assistant) and it has two SPB songs. 
(Both are not captured in the tfmpage thread BTW and are among the additions in this thread).

This one was quite popular on radio and I've heard it many times (didn't care much for it those days...so so song)

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 117
சொந்தம் இனி உன் மடியில்
(மறுபிறவி,1973)

rA.mu.117 of SPB
sondham ini un madiyil
(maRu piRavi, 1973)

The title card also says PA as the assistant to KD Laughing

The song features Muthuraman and Manjula on screen, in a hubby-wife bedroom setting and KD had no difficulty at all throwing some simple lines to the simple melody. SPB didn't have much difficulty in singing it but it has nothing "special" Laughing

Look at the youtube and browse thru the pAdal varigaL given below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpHLRokYCMQ

சொந்தம் இனி உன் மடியில் சொர்க்கம் இனி உன் அழகில் நீ இன்றித் தூங்காது நெஞ்சம்
நான் தருவேன் கொஞ்சம் நீ தருவாய் இன்று தாங்காது பூப்போட்ட மஞ்சம்

எண்ணங்கள் சிந்தும் போதை கண்ணந்தனிலே அள்ளித்தருவேன்
முன்னூறு முத்தங்கள் போதாது என் ஆசை இன்றோடு தீராது

கட்டுக்குழல் தொட்டுக் கலை மொட்டுக்களில் ஆடும்
கன்னிச் சிறு வண்ணக்கனி நெஞ்சில் விளையாடும்
பாடம் இன்று ஆரம்பம் என்று வாராய் கண்ணே தேன்கிண்ணம் உண்டு

வெள்ளிக்குடம் அள்ளித்தரும் கொள்ளைச்சுவை எங்கே
மேடைகளை ஆடைகளில் மூடும் ரதம் எங்கே

The song ends abruptly...there might be something happening in the move immediately thereafter possibly. Every version available on the web has this abrupt ending. (Though the movie is on youtube, I'm not much interested in digging into the scene...)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:11 pm

BTW, that original Thenraja listing in tfmpage had 117 songs.

Out of those, there are still 39 or so pending to be covered.

However, our thread has already reached that 117 number Smile

That means, during this exercise, at least 40 SPB pre-IR numbers have been unearthed so far! (i.e. accounting for these two numbers from the maRu piRavi movie).

Despite such a harvest, I'm still doubtful if we will hit the 200 mark overall, for SPB until 1976 Smile

As one might notice, I'm not leaving any stone unturned in this archeology style digging Smile  (On one hand this should give me some boasting rights but practically, I end up with only "getting-irritated-thingy" when people shout out 40K kind of numbers for SPB) Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:48 pm

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 118
ஓராயிரம் வைரங்கள் சேர்ந்த அழகு
(மறுபிறவி,1973)

rA.mu.118 of SPB
OrAyiram vairangaL sErndha azhagu
(maRu piRavi, 1973, with LRE)

That is the second SPB song from this movie. LRE does humming along while SPB does all the pAdal varigaL. 

Nothing much to dig into this song. Looks like the group tried to mimic some indhi songs or old MSV-TKR classics but failed to impress overall Embarassed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ53M2mXak0

ஓராயிரம் வைரங்கள் சேர்ந்த அழகு
நூறாயிரம் காலங்கள் வாழும் நிலவு
முன்னூறு கண் வேண்டும் நானூறு கை வேண்டும்
தேவதையே நான் சுவைக்க

ஏதென்சு உள்ளங்கள் கவிஞர்கள் எண்ணங்கள்
உன்னாலே தானே உயிர்பெற நினைக்கும்
மதுக்கிண்ணம் ஒன்று உடல் வண்ணம் கொண்டு
மயக்கத்திலே கண் அசைக்கும்

நான் கண்டதை திராட்சை என்பதா ஆப்பிள் என்பதா 
ஓர் தேவதை வீனஸ் வந்ததா பெண்மை வந்ததா 
நினைக்கின்ற நெஞ்சை நனைக்கின்ற பெண்ணே 
அணைக்கட்டுமா உன் முகத்தை 

ஓர் முத்தம் தந்தால் உயிர் போகும் என்றால்
போகட்டும் நான் முத்தம் தருவேன்
உனக்காக அன்று போர் செய்த மன்னர்
மோகத்தை நானும் அறிவேன்

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri May 01, 2015 6:55 pm

Anbu sagOdharargaL movie titles list both Kannadasan & Vaali and I searched around the web to find who wrote which song (as there are two SPB numbers from this 1973 movie).

Well, I was dumb to waste that "search time" as our Saravanan sir had given the info readily in his dhool post on muththukku muththAga soththukku soththAga :
http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/635.html

So, here we go - the next SPB number, this one as pinnaNi for Jaishankar :

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 119
எதிர்பார்த்தேன் உன்னை எதிர்பார்த்தேன்
(அன்பு சகோதரர்கள்,1973)

rA.mu.119 of SPB
ethirpArththEn unnai ethirpArththEn
(anbu sagOdharargaL, 1973, with PS)
MD : KVM
Lyricist : Vaali

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9h7blgFqQk

Typical Pugazhendi style arrangements / boring interludes bring down the song drastically, even though the melody & the sweet voice of PS saves it overall. SPB is more on a support-mode and the finishing of many words lack clarity Embarassed Often he fails to distinguish if it is "கு" or "க" while PS is very sharp in her renditions. Obviously, SPB was still learning Wink

எதிர்பார்த்தேன் உன்னை எதிர்பார்த்தேன்
சொல்ல முடியாத சேதி ஏதோ சொல்வதற்காக
அதற்காக எதற்காக அதற்காக

பனித்துளி படுக்கும் பஞ்சணையாய்
பசும் புல்வெளி இங்கே படர்ந்திருக்க 
காய் படுத்திருக்கும் தாய் மடியாய்
இளம் பூங்கொடி இங்கே பாய் விரிக்க
(எனக்கு) உன் மடி வேண்டும் நான் படுக்க
கண் உறக்கமில்லாமல்  நான் துடிக்க
அதற்காக

மலைமுடி வானை அளந்திருக்க
அதில் மழைமுகில் வந்தே அமர்ந்திருக்க
குளிர் தரும் வாடை ஒழிந்திருக்க
நல்ல மடல் விடும் வாழை இடம் கொடுக்க
ஒருவரை ஒருவர் மறைத்திருக்க
அந்த உணர்வினில் உலகை மறைந்திருக்க
அதற்காக

sumAr pAttu Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon May 04, 2015 8:37 pm

The other SPB song from the same movie is atrocious in every way Sad

Horrible in every department - please check it out at your own peril :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g49Ek-uyzsU

அம்மம்மா அம்மம்மம்மம்மா என்னம்மா நீ பெண்ணம்மா
அதை மறந்திடலாமா சொல்லம்மா
வீட்டையும் நெனச்சுக்கம்மா ஆட்டத்த முடிச்சுக்கம்மா 

பூப்போலே இருக்கணுமம்மா பொண்ணுங்க கையி அதை மனசில வையி 
பிள்ளையப் பெத்துத் தொட்டில் கட்டு பாசம் உண்டாகும் 
உன் உள்ளத்துக்கும் இல்லத்துக்கும் பாலம் உண்டாகும் 
ஆடாத ஆட்டம் ஆடும் சங்கதி என்னம்மா 
காலில் சங்கிலி போடம்மா

வாயாடி வம்புக்குப் போனா வாங்கிக்க வேணும்
உதை தந்தாத்தாங்கிக்க வேணும்
வாழும் வீடும் வளர்ந்த வீடும் பெருமை பெற வேண்டும் 
வந்தாளம்மா லெட்சுமி என்று ஊரே சொல்ல வேணும் 
தாயார்கள் வாழ்ந்ததிலெல்லாம் தத்துவம் உண்டம்மா 
அது சத்திய வாழ்வம்மா 
நீ என்ன அதிசயமா நான் என்ன சொல்லணுமா 

கல்லூரிப்பாடத்திலே நீ பார்த்தது என்ன 
அங்கே படித்தது என்ன?
வீட்டுக்குள்ளே காட்டுத்தர்பார் நடத்திடச்சொன்னாரா 
வீராப்பாகப் பேசுவதே தான் வேதம் என்றாரா 
மேலான ராணியென்றாலும் மென்மை வேண்டுமம்மா 
குலத்தன்மை வேண்டுமம்மா 

எஸ்பிபி / ரா.மு./ 120
அம்மம்மா அம்மம்மம்மம்மா
(அன்பு சகோதரர்கள்,1973)

rA.mu.120 of SPB
ammammA ammamammammA
(anbu sagOdharargaL, 1973, with LRE)
MD : KVM

#DocumentedForRecordPurposes

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next