Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strings of Raja

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Strings of Raja - Page 2 Empty Re: Strings of Raja

Post  ravinat Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:37 pm

app_engine wrote:
ravinat wrote:One of the biggest mysteries of understanding Raja's orchestration is his origin of understanding of brass and woodwind instruments. There is no clear evidence on how and where he learned this part. He (is) was a harmonium player and he quickly understood the keyboard and the synthesizer. He went through the excruciating training with strings which I described and it is understandable that he was able to extend it to the entire family of instruments. He trained as a guitarist and one can understand the origin of his guitar and basslines. There are simply no pointers on the brass and woodwind instruments.

IIRC, IR had once told that he himself made a flute from bamboo and started playing.
(I'm not sure if it were my imagination or I really heard him say this)
I have heard of that too App. However, his knowledge of brass is puzzling. When he was a music assistant to GKV, I am not sure how often he got a chance to use brass. However, look at a song like 'Germaniyil Senthaen Nilave' and his use of trumpets is bang on.

ravinat

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ravinat Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:57 pm

Continuing with his strings orchestration, over the years, it has become very refined, unlike other composers. Most strings players emerge from his studio as artists who have gone through intense testing and practice that they have always spoken about how easy it is for them to play for other composers. If you consider the strings of Raja in the 80s, they pale before his work in the 21st century. As an example, consider this song, 'Manitha Manitha' from Kan sivanthaaL Man Sivakkum.

Though it sounds good for the 80s, either the recording or the finesse of the violin strokes, it pales compared to his own orchestra's work with a 90s film such as Kaala Paani. The violin strokes are a lot more refined and coupled with his brass, provides a grandness to the whole ensemble.

Kaala Paani and Dhalapathy clearly demonstrated how Raja grasped the Wagner element of the right mix of brass and violins. 

His latest strings orchestration for the 21st century brings home some of the finest with strings ever performed in Indian films. My view is that, in the past 10 years, he has shown a greater inclination to Chopen style flowery piano arrangements and his refined strings. 

This is the theme from Psycho. This is also the case with Kutrame dhandanai as well as Appa.

ravinat

Back to top Go down

Post  ravinat Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:14 pm

Finally, in this series of strings, there are four clips that you can hear that will make you sit up that Raja is the only composer who can be considered from India with this solid understanding of brass and strings. The first video is from the guru, Wagner, and his Lohengrin. Hear in particular from 6:15 to 7:25 to see how be builds the composition.

The first of Hollywood composers is Jerry Goldsmith and his score from Bad Girls. Jerry was hugely inspired by Wagner.

John Williams has acknowledged that he is inspired by Wagner and is know for his grand scores in the Star wars series of films. Soros cannot think of these movies without John. Here is a Star wars theme called ''Anakin Defeats Sebulba' from the Phantom Menace. You can see the traces of the Valkyries and also Wagner's Lohengrin.

Finally, Raja as the only composer who can go shoulder to shoulder with these great composers. Unfortunately, the YT videos are terrible. I have asked a few uploaders to do justice. This is the postlude of the song, 'Marangal Tharum Malargal' from Dhruva Natchathiram.

https://soundcloud.com/user-527161646/marangal-tharum-dhruva-natchathiram

The postlude measures up to the grand strings and brass of the masters, though Raja did that for an undeserving film.

ravinat

BC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:00 am

app_engine wrote:
ravinat wrote:One of the biggest mysteries of understanding Raja's orchestration is his origin of understanding of brass and woodwind instruments. There is no clear evidence on how and where he learned this part. He (is) was a harmonium player and he quickly understood the keyboard and the synthesizer. He went through the excruciating training with strings which I described and it is understandable that he was able to extend it to the entire family of instruments. He trained as a guitarist and one can understand the origin of his guitar and basslines. There are simply no pointers on the brass and woodwind instruments.

IIRC, IR had once told that he himself made a flute from bamboo and started playing.
(I'm not sure if it were my imagination or I really heard him say this)

YES, he did say that (at least on two occasions).

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  nanjilaan Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:29 pm

Check out the string sections in this BGM (season - 1989)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FLhXJm2h8o

nanjilaan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2