Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Concerts of Raaja

+42
raagakann
counterpoint
irir123
nambik
V_S
irfan123
soco_sri
ank
panniapurathar
baroque
mayilSK
mythila
crimson king
ravinat
Drunkenmunk
fring151
Usha
vicks
D22_Malar
mavurundai
layman10
sheepChase
Raaga_Suresh
jaiganesh
rajkumarc
Sanjeevi
Karthikeyan
writeface
groucho070
Sakalakala Vallavar
SenthilVinu
equanimus
kiru
Admin
kameshratnam
Wizzy
kv
skr
Bala (Karthik)
plum
app_engine
sagi
46 posters

Page 21 of 24 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Go down

Concerts of Raaja - Page 21 Empty Re: Concerts of Raaja

Post  irir123 Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:31 am

Am not sure if IR is responsible for ppl falling down at his feet. Perhaps as a pre-concert instruction, he may ask ppl not to do so, but I have heard from sources that ppl fall at his feet spontaneously, without him saying anything.
irir123
irir123

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:32 pm

Once-in-a-lifetime-experience - Part 1

Warning : This will have more personal stuff than anything related to music Wink

Basically I'm a "sOmbERi" (lazy fellow) nowadays when it comes to attending entertainment events. Well, for the past many years (not just after my coming to U.S. but even before, in KL), it is difficult for people to push me to go to even movie theaters Embarassed  

While my fandom for IR is well "documented", I've never ever attended a stage concert of him before (or seen him in person). Interestingly, I used to grab every opportunity during my student days or bachelor days (1976-1990) to attend ANY concert happening in the town where I was (living or visiting). Unfortunately, IR wasn't doing that many concerts those days and thus it never happened. (Those few events that he conducted for rAjagOpuram or other charities were in places unreachable to me those days).

Coming to recent years, when IR had traveled to NA a few times, one reason or other prevented me from attending one. While I had seen many of the clips on TV / youtube etc. & kind of knew how these events are, never could attend one.

Now, this time, it happened against all odds Smile

When my nephew (sister's son who is in early 20's i.e. 30+ years younger than me) wanted to go to Toronto, specifically with me for this IR concert, I was surprised.

For him it is a 5 hour drive and for us about 3. He is a busy medical school student with tons of study work and is particularly not into any IFM / TFM. Of course, he is a piano player and reverberates the home daily with that huge grand but definitely is not into IR - except when he has no other option - as in, forced to be in a car with me Laughing  Accordingly, he didn't go with his mother to the CT concert and she drove alone to attend that event (like how she attended a previous one at NJ too), which showed me how big of an IRF she is - even though between us we hardly discuss IR that much Wink

When I asked him why he wanted to go, he said it would be interesting to listen to the concert sitting with me as I'll be adding a lot of comments (which I typically do when driving in the car, about the song that gets played Laughing ). Interesting, I thought. Well, another opportunity to introduce IR to the youngster - that made me excited for the event.

Then it was about getting "approval" from wife. No difficulty there as she seemed to have more thrill going there than me Laughing (I know she likes concerts but never insisted / pushed me). Our son wasn't available and our daughter had no choice but to be with us (and she liked the idea of "Anjappar - Niagara falls view hotel room" etc and wasn't complaining).

Well, one may ask - what is this, an IRF talking about family-this-that and not about the sheer excitement of attending a live concert / grand orchestra / Ilayaraja personally on stage etc.

For some reason, such were not on my mind (possibly because of watching too many youtubes that took away my thrill or excitement).

Either way, I was all set to drive on April 1 from Detroit to Toronto. First stop at Missisauga Anjappar and then to Air Canada stadium.

(To be continued)

Last edited by app_engine on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  panniapurathar Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:25 am

app Aiyya!!!  I am so thrilled that you finally got to see an IR concert.  Take your time to give us all the juicy details we will wait for you!  

Also, I so wish V_S would come  out of his sabbatical and post his impressions of the Chicago concert.  I miss his posts so much.

panniapurathar

Back to top Go down

Post  IsaiRasigan Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:56 am

App_eng sir your post strikes a chord. (no pun intended) I also have never seen IR concert, but do not miss any news about it.

Eagerly awaiting your posts.

IsaiRasigan

Back to top Go down

Concerts of Raaja - Page 21 Empty Australia & Singapore (August 2018)

Post  BC Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:53 pm

Just FYI........ 2 IR concerts coming up:

1.  Australia - August-11-2018 (Saturday) 6:30 pm  Hillsong Convention Centre, 1-5 Solent Circuit, Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153

2.  Singapore - August-18-2018 (Saturday) 7 p.m. at The Star Theatre, 1 Vista Exchange Green, #04-01, Singapore 138617

Last edited by BC on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:34 pm

from Kana praba.. isainyani ilaiyaraja Sidney.......

https://www.facebook.com/1393380529/posts/10217188530490692/

solli kudutha padiya padaran..... (manovai oru vaaru vari irukar......)

3rd portion

https://twitter.com/kanapraba

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:11 am

kAnAprabA on concert:
https://www.facebook.com/1393380529/posts/10217199745811068/

Surprised to read that they had "iLam paniththuLi vizhum nEram"  Smile

WOW!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:58 pm

Indeed a sweet surprise
, even though the song became a hit at the time of the obscure film "ArAdhanai " release.

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:57 am

app_engine wrote:
Surprised to read that they had "iLam paniththuLi vizhum nEram"  Smile

Yes.

Of course, Janani janani, Madai thirandhu etc.... are staples!  Other songs looked like they were singing them for the first time like "Oho megam vandhadho", "Aasai adhigam vechu", "Poongathave" etc.  I've been to his concert only once so far, that too, just a few months back.  

So, could any IR concert veteran say if those were a "fresh" list of songs or have they been sung before in the previous concerts?

I could not find any video of the concert so far.  USA & Canada concerts were uploaded just the next day itself!  Any video link is appreciated.

Some more from the MOP Vaishnav College event, courtesy: Times of India.....

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/videos/entertainment/events/chennai/and-they-sang-along-with-the-maestro-ilaiyaraaja/videoshow/65375781.cms

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:45 pm

paatu list from kanapraba

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqkfop

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:46 pm

next concert ..Singapore.........

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2194729850598420&id=166472066757552

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  soco_sri Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:19 pm

Venue for Raaja's concert tomorrow, in Singapore.  - http://www.thestar.sg/the-star-theatre/

The venue seems like a great choice. Raaja says he is very happy with acoustics (check this video)
https://www.facebook.com/noiseandgrains/videos/748722612131765/

Why can't such venues booked for Raaja concerts in US?

soco_sri

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:13 am

Concerts of Raaja - Page 21 1975182138

IR Singapore concert, on SUN TV (Sunday, 16-Sep-2018, 9:30 p.m.)  Folks in India and people who have subscribed for Tamil channels, enjoy!  Concerts of Raaja - Page 21 Icon_neutral

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:34 pm

hm... I will be missing  IR's Singapore concert TV telecast tomorrow.Sad
But I am expecting a detailed, honest review from you all. Smile

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:43 pm

mythila wrote:hm... I will be missing  IR's Singapore concert TV telecast tomorrow.Sad
But I am expecting a detailed, honest review from you all. Smile
Mythila,
ungaluku miss panna povadhu munnadiyae therindhadha.. inga en kadhai vera madhirii.. Nambikaiyun irundhen.. apodhum
veetai vittu veliyae poga vendiya soozhal.. poi vittu.. vegamaga TV munnadi utkarndhen...
4 paatukal parthen..

about the Stage.. Ellorum youngsters..Aged IR... avaruku than vayadhu agi irukiradhu.. paatuku ilai.. Singers ellarum super..
padalai azhagaga padinargal..

Ilangathu veesudhae... Sharath and Anu.. Originalai kaeta madhirii oru Feelings.

Sound Quality. superrrrrrrrr...... adhu audiance mugathil therindadhu.... TVilum nanraga irundhadhu......
IRin recording roomil paatai neril kaeta madhiiri oru feelings.......

paatin time.. sila seconds.. slow.. adhanal.. instruments adhan azhagu........ rombave anubavithen......

kaeta 6 paatuku innoru post podugiren........

indha tme... periya mazhai...... dish cut.........
ipadi yemandhu ponen.. youtubekaga kathu iruken.......

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:25 pm

mythila wrote:hm... I will be missing  IR's Singapore concert TV telecast tomorrow.Sad

Not to worry. There is Part-2 coming up, same time this Sunday, the 23rd.  I did not know there were going to be 2 parts. Anyway, IR magic was in the air. 

IR begins with his trademark "Janani janani". When he started, I thought he had a sore throat or something like that. But he warmed up sooner to deliver the bhakti rasa of that song!  It is too evident he is aging Crying or Very sad.   IR also sang "Nila adhu" with fervor, explaining that it was supposed to be a THAALAATTU song  confused.  Adhu eppadiyo, IR?!  Ungalaala mattum thaan idhellaam mudiyum!!

The BEST songs were by Madhu Balakrishnan (He is a near replica of KJY).  He was very good in preserving the essence and details of "Akkarai cheemai" and "Poove sempoove".  When Poove sempoove last pallavi ended, the crowd started clapping not realizing there was a POSTLUDE to this song Mad.  Ilayaraja RIGHTLY gestured to "stop" the applause, saying "When you listen to a song on headphone, will you stop the song in between". Kindly listen to the rest of the song and details" while the PLEASANT postlude continued and then there was a roaring applause again!  Now, IR haters will jump to call him rude. BUT ONLY the true fans of IR & fans of MUSIC will understand he was indeed right!

Even Chitra struggled to sing "Naanoru Sindhu" because maybe, she found it difficult with breath management. She was not in her elements like the IR-1000 concert.  But Chitra sets a high benchmark for herself while singing. And I ADORE her for that!  But I'm sorry to say she cannot match SJ Rolling Eyes  .  Chitra sang "Chinna chinna vanna kuyil". It was really good, but maybe I'm expecting too much of SJ's perfection.  She made it up with "Unnai vida" though.

Mano & Chitra plus co. sang "En jodi manja kuruvi" and the crowd went "once more". IR pulled Mano's legs saying "ayyo once more kekkaraanga. You have another chance to fix your mistake!".  Mano also sang "Ilamai enum poongaatru".  Haa, the way one misses SPB when someone else sings his songs  No   And later he sang "Kaadhalin deepam ondru" after IR explained the "whistle" composition.

Same with Vijay Prakash in "Om Shivoham", not his usual flair. 

Surmukhi Raman rendered "Ninaivo oru paravai" pretty sweetly, along with Kaushik but Kaushik could not bring in the suave of Kamal.

Vibhavari Apte was very good with IR, in "Adi aathaadi" after a slightly-off start.

Super singers were okay. 

That's all I could remember after drowning in the world of IR's magical music & charisma   coolwave

BC

Back to top Go down

Concerts of Raaja - Page 21 Empty IR Singapore concert reviews

Post  mythila Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:44 pm

Nice to read the views of Usha akkA and BC sir. Happy to know that part 2 is on its way this weekend Smile . Usha akkA, as you said lets wait for youtube to see the event in its entire self. Singers should rehearse well enough so that they can match the recorded original's scale and pace. For greedy listener like me, SPB's return to IR fold is like a whiff of fresh air.  Hoping to see the legends perform together again.

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:32 pm

mythila wrote:Nice to read the views of Usha akkA and BC sir
mythila, 'sir' illai.  Madam nu sollunga.  This is female here Smile

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:24 pm

OOPS! Sorry Ma'am for my lazy assumption.   Embarassed
Welcome to our Ladies Club Smile

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:16 am

mythila wrote:Welcome to our Ladies Club 

Thanks Mythila madam. My pleasure.  Smile

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:07 pm

BC,
 Thanks for the details.. sun tv.. part 2 start achu ipodhan...

Thendral vandhu ennai thodum.. madhu balakrishnan..
mazhai illai.. kaeka poren..........

Mythila,

What about u?

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:43 pm

Show.. muzhudhum parthen.. sandhosha patten.....

ethanai paatu.... gavanam ilai. adhu dhan manasil sogam......

Show patri..  vazhakam pola.. en kanavar.. padubavargalai gavanikadhe...... Orchestration.. idhai gavani.. idhu dhan periya vishayam.. Stage showvil.....

S. Unmai........  enna oru arumaiyana show. recording podhu kaeta oru feelings. apdi oru  azhagu..........

paatai kaekum podhu.. en manadhu aduthu aduthu..  instrumentationai ninaivu paduthiyadhu........ adhai vida arumaiyaga neril irundhadhu.

IR patri.

ivar mugathai parthle.. pasamum anbum manam muzhudhum nirambi vazhiyum.. adhuvum isaiyudan...... solla varthai illai.. enna thavam
seidhen.. indha isaiyai ipadi kaetpadharku......

IR  ... edharkaga endru ninaivu ilai....  thannudaiya pechai patri endru ninaikren..

nejamava.......
aduthu..... nenjil kai vaithu.. sathiyamagava......
aduthu...

thalaiyil kai vaithu....
sathiyamava
idhai parthadhum... IRin manasu..... school days kids madhiri... kaetar...... andha kids dhan ipadi sandhoshathudan
kaetkum... indha IR. kid dhan.. unmaiyana sandhosham dhan........ idhaiyavadhu koduka mudindhadha IR ku.. idhu podhum avarku......

Singers..

Youngsters.. ethanai azhaga padinargal.. originalaga yarumae koduka mudiyadhu.. original singers irundhalum dhan......

Chorus.

miga azhagu and perfect one..... original pattai kaeata madhiiri oru acharyam........

Raja.. nammai azha vaitha nimidam.......

Then pandi cheemaiyile.. Raja azhudhar.... kandipaga  adhu oru pasa azhaugai.. Thanakum, Rasikargalumana paasathukana oru pasa
azhugai.........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:13 pm

Superb Part-2. I was sad when IR sang "Thenpandi seemaiyile". He surely is one soul that lives for and with MUSIC. He said "Naadhaswaram sivan sothu, adhukku azhive illai!"  ONE ARTIST who puts his ART first before everything else. noteworthy  Those REAL tears and the REAL standing ovation from the audience, in the end of the concert, for IR says it all.

BEST performance by Chitra cheers  "Darling darling" song from Priya.  WOW!  Whattay rendition!  Very difficult to sing it perfectly and still maintain the romance in the song. She did it, TRULY a legend.  That's why you will NEVER see another SJ or SPB or PS or KJY etc.....She belongs in that list.  She also nailed "Oru jeevan azhaithadhu" with IR.
Second best performance, of course, IR. Singing with that perfection at that age.  the clap  He also corrected himself when he missed out a line.  He sang "Idhayam oru kovil" and "Thenpandi seemaiyile" with the same fervor as the original!

Third best, (certainly in par with the legends), Madhu Balakrishnan ("Thendral vandhu theendum bodhu" with Surmukhi),  Mukesh sang "Thanni thotti" so well with near perfection.   Vibhavari's Kadhal Oviyam & Adi aathadi and "Kanmaniye kaadhal enbadhu" with Mano - superb!  Her Tamil pronunciation is better than Shreya Ghoshal & Sadhana Sargam!  KUDOS to all the 4! 

Mano also sang "Madai Thirandhu" (IR expression when he bent down to look at Mano when he was singing those lines "Naanum iraivane" is PRICELESS).

Mano & Narayanan sang "Raja kaiya vecha" together.  Good one.  Crowd goes crazy for that addictive percussion in the 2nd interlude!  

Mano also sang "Sundari kannal oru sedhi" with Sadhana Sargam.  (Made me wonder, "hello, is this Sadhana Sargam?" I think her throat was heavily strained or a bad sore throat.) And "Pani vizhum malar vanam".  Again, SPB is missed.

Sai Vignesh & Srisha sang "Poongathave" well. But just the romance missing. Srisha was better than Sai Vignesh in expression. And he was better than her technically.

Vijay Prakash was NOT at his best the entire show. Both his "Kanne Kalaimaane" and "En iniya pon nilave" needed more emotion & perfection & breath control. Madhu Balakrishnan should have sung both of those songs for a total justice.

Rock bottom lows:  Niranjana (pretty awful "Aasai adhigam vechu"). IR was not happy (his facial expression said it!).  And the umpteen ad breaks in between.  When IR sang "Poovaar senni mannan" and asked the chorus to sing, they were blank.  Didn't they know "Thiruvasagam in Symphony" album?

As usual, like the CT concert, after IR left, the girls team ended this with the female version of "Podhuvaga en manasu thangam" which was pretty powerful.

Isn't there a Part-3, Part-4......and so on.....?  Sigh!

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:37 pm

BC,
Thanks for the details........ paatai naan rasichadhai sollanam..

poovar senni.. chorus pada sonnar.. chorus.. soft aga padinargal.. adharku IR..... padi kanpithu.. ipadi ganamaga pada vendama endru
sonnar....

raja kaiya vecha... sai vignesh.. peyar theiryavilai.. SPB madhiriyae.. rendition... nalla voice...... kaetka nanraga irundhadhu....

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:10 pm

No Usha akkA, last 2 weekends I was travelling and had to miss Raja show.

Glad to note that Usha akkA and BC enjoyed the part 2. As usual, I will wait for the youtube link to view the entire show.

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 24 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next