Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Concerts of Raaja

+42
raagakann
counterpoint
irir123
nambik
V_S
irfan123
soco_sri
ank
panniapurathar
baroque
mayilSK
mythila
crimson king
ravinat
Drunkenmunk
fring151
Usha
vicks
D22_Malar
mavurundai
layman10
sheepChase
Raaga_Suresh
jaiganesh
rajkumarc
Sanjeevi
Karthikeyan
writeface
groucho070
Sakalakala Vallavar
SenthilVinu
equanimus
kiru
Admin
kameshratnam
Wizzy
kv
skr
Bala (Karthik)
plum
app_engine
sagi
46 posters

Page 9 of 24 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16 ... 24  Next

Go down

Concerts of Raaja - Page 9 Empty Re: Concerts of Raaja

Post  groucho070 Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:55 am

Saw that on TV day before. Somewhere in the middle, some bastard slipped in the instrumental of Anjali Anjali (Duet) in the background. mavanE, kaiyila kedaichAn!!!

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:48 pm

groucho070 wrote: instrumental of Anjali Anjali (Duet) in the background

Shocked

(This plays when Prasanna h/o Sneha talks)

Obviously some half-baked guy from Vijay TV team who did BGM for this program.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:50 pm

thatstamil report for the Bay Area concert

டெக்னாலாஜி பின்னால் ஓடிக்கொண்டிருக்கும் சிலிக்கான்வேலி சமூகத்தை தன் இசையால் கட்டிப் போட்ட இசைஞானியின் இசையை விட உன்னதமான டெக்னாலஜி உலகில் வேறென்ன இருக்கு சொல்லுங்க!

The comments for that article show how much hatred (against rAsA) exists even now Embarassed

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:55 am

V_S wrote:rajkumarc,
Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience and also for the big list. Concerts of Raaja - Page 9 2798411019 Yes, wonderful selection of songs, it's almost the same as NJ concert, except there are few songs from Canada concert and 1-2 new songs.

Thanks V_S. Its really my pleasure to share with you all. I'm going to post an edited version of my earlier post about the concert. It's a long post, so please read at your convenience. I haven't posted anything long like this before, so I apologize if it's too boring. It's just an inspiration from many of the long posts V_S, App, Plum (that have lot of substance unlike mine Smile).

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Concerts of Raaja - Page 9 Empty IR Sanjose concert

Post  rajkumarc Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:56 am

Back from my first ever Maestro's concert. It was a one of a
kind experience to witness Maestro and his troupe perform live. When Maestro
came on stage and sang Janani Janani, the reality of the moment sunk in
(tears/joy/being part of this event/ - an inexplicable myriad of feelings at
the same time). It was a fantastic concert with a good mix of various Tamil
& Telugu gems.
Most of the singers performed really well. SPB & Chitra were truly
exceptional. The orchestra - oh man, I will run out of adjectives to commend
their performance, mindblowing is an understatement - the strings, percussion,
guitars, flute and wonderfully conducted by Prabhakar. The concert started
right on time at 7:30 and went almost close to midnight. Maestro took a break
for a few mins half way through and he was there standing in the stage all
along.

Here is the song list. I tried to pen my thoughts as close to what I
experienced live. Don’t treat it as a review as I don’t think any kind of
review will justify Maestro’s live concert. It’s only what I felt and
experienced as the whole concert unfolded before me.

1. Intro Music

Sets the stage for the orchestra indicating that this is no ordinary show but a real music concert

2. Janani Janani - Maestro

Mother of all goosebumps: Standing ovation for the Maestro as he makes entry. No words , you got to experience that inexplicable myriad of feelings.

3. Om Shivoham - Karthik

A really overpowering performance - both the orchestra and Karthik's rendition. Kudos for selecting this song for a live orchestra. What
an outstanding composition.

4. Jagadaananda Kaaraka - SPB, GeetaMadhuri (Telugu)

Standing ovation for SPB. The song was wonderfully rendered by SPB & Geeta but we really missed ShreyaG. Wonder why she is not part of
IR’s concerts, maybe she is too busy.

5. Isayil thodangudhamma – Hariharan

Great song selection, the heavy rhythmic percussion in the prelude was as majestic. Hari rendered this song well but not to the heights achieved by AjoyC. An enjoyable performance nevertheless.

6. Ninnukori - Chitra (Telugu)

Electric start with that rocking prelude. It was Chitra’s first song and she got a standing ovation as well. Amazing rendering by both Chitra and orchestra, the audience were spellbound totally.

7. Sangeetha Thirunaalo - Bavathaarini

Bavathaarini was saved by the female chorus literally.

8. Ennai Thalaatta varuvaalo – Hariharan

This is kind of a cult classic and the audience appreciated and enjoyed this song thoroughly.

9. Idhayam oru Kovil – Maestro, Priyadarshini

Goosebump moment# Maestro connecting with the audience as per the lyrics. It was an instant connect with the audience. The lyrics have so much inner meaning and connect that the Maestro shares with his fans.

10. Mounamena Loi (Mounamana Neram) - SPB Chitra (Telugu)

Flawless recreation of the original right from the initial guitar strumming. Can’t get better than this. SPB was completely in his elements providing his trademark flourishes throughout the song. Chitra played her role perfectly, no one else could do better justice than her as SJ is not singing anymore.

11. Shenbagame – Mano

At the end of the song, IR called Mano to point out a mistake and asked him to correct “Sammaadhame” to “Sammadhaame”. Some people might feel this as another arrogant behavior of IR but to me it’s friendly banter which we see in all his concerts. How many times he has pulled Yuvan’s legs in his previous concerts?

12. Eno Raatri (Maasi Maasam) - SPB PriyaHemesh (Telugu)

The song started and SPB interrupted and asked IR if he has written any Telugu lyrics. There was some confusion and IR clarified that he will talk about after the song performance. Overall, a very nice rendition by SPB and with PriyaHemesh brought the right feel without any inhibitions. She
sang all her other songs very well and is one talent to look for. Hope she gets to sing more songs in IR’s future compositions.

13. Thyagaraaja keerthanai - Maestro (Telugu)

Maestro sang this to talk about the Telugu lyrics wrote. Somehow, I don’t recall the exact details of the episode as most of the conversation happened in Telugu.

14. Ilamayenum Poongatru - SPB

Goosebump moment# just for selecting this song to perform live. Don’t have words to appreciate for how it was performed. SPB was at his incomparable best and wonderfully supported by the orchestra. SPB has indicated a few times before in his previous interviews as
to how he enjoys singing this song. It was completely evident and both IR & SPB were enjoying the live performance of this song. IR lauded Kannadasan yet again for it’s lyrics. In verbatim “IR sang the tune without lyrics to Kannadasan, Kannadasan gave him the lyrics, IR sang the tune with the lyrics and it matched the tune so perfectly so as to even match his earlier lip sync when singing just the tune without lyrics. That was how special Kannadasan was and there can be no other lyricist like him” Not sure if I was able to convey exactly what IR meant, but I hope you get the gist of it.

15. Manjolai Kilidhaano – Hariharan

Wonderful song to perform live but Hari did not sing as per the original tune and it was glaringly obvious. Its nowhere close to Jeyachandran’s rendition. Given Hari’s classical music prowess, I thought he would pull this off but was disappointed, could attribute to lack of practice
or not adhering to the original tune.

16. Nee thoongum nerathil – Hariharan

Hariharan dedicates this song to Maestro. Looks like this has not been prepared and was decided on the stage. IR acknowledged it as well.
It had minimal orchestral backing. Hari rendered this song very well.

17. Lalitha priya kamalam (Idhazhil Kadhai Ezhudum) - SPB, Chitra (Telugu)
SPB mentioned that the Telugu version was originally sung by KJY and he was lucky to have got the Tamil version and also to perform the
Telugu version live. Such a sweet song with a haunting orchestration and totally enthralling to listen live.

18. Naan Thedum - Maestro Chitra

Goosebump moment# with Maestro's aalap. Fantastic performance by Orchestra.

19. Medley: Azhagu Malar Aada - Hariharan Priyadarshini /Naanaga nana illai (SPB) / Aananda then kaatru (Senthil/PriyaHemesh)
Transition from the earlier Naan Thedum song to azhagu malar aada was astounding, there was no break or pause, it just started of like a continuation of the previous and went all the way to the end of the medley. Azhagu Malar Aada has western instruments backing. Senthil sang
Ananda Then Katru very well imitating the CSJayaraman style of rendition.

20. Balapam Batti - SPB, Mano Chitra (Telugu)

First time listen and a thoroughly delightful number. The Telugu audience loved & appreciated this song like crazy.

21. Raaja kayya vacha - Yuvan, Sathya

Nicely rendered by Yuvan/Sathya but SPB would have been a better choice. Audience lapped it all up as it’s such a crowd puller.

22. Naan porandhu - Priyadarshini

Goosebump moment#: IR introduced this song and walked off the stage to take a break. He mentioned about the uniqueness of this composition. Amazingly rendered by Priyadarshini and chorus singers and the audience appreciated heartily. SPB requested a special round of appreciation indicating how tough a composition this is to render it live.

23. Botany Padam - SPB, Mano, GeetaMadhuri (Telugu)

The audience were out of control and also since IR was off the stage they shook off all the earlier restrictions. Nevertheless the singers & orchestra totally enjoyed performing this with SPB & Geeta pulling Mano’s legs often and the audience took it all in for an unforgettable
experience.

24. Prathi dhinam - Karthik, Priyadarshini (Telugu) (IR wasback on stage before this song)
Fantastically rendered by the singers and the orchestra. A
truly enjoyable number that’s a rehash of Mayanginen Solla Thayaginen but still
invokes a completely different feel.

25. Adhe geetham - SPB (Telugu)

Goosebump moment#: My most favorite song in Abinandanda, what a song and what a rendition by SPB a truly magical experience listening to it live. A totally perfect rendering including the female chorus.

26. Chukkalu Themanna - Mano, Chitra (Telugu)

A rehash of Chithira Sevvaanam with completely different instrument backing, more of the 90s sound of IR. First time listen and it’s on my playlist already.

27. Priya priyathama - Mano, Chitra (Telugu)

First time listen and instantly likeable song.

28. Oliyile therivathu - Karthik, Bavathaarini

One of my favorite songs of IR post 2000. Maestro introduced Cello Sekar and requested him to play the cello portions of Oliyile therivadhu
and he did the same for double bass artist as well (whose name I forgot)

30. O Priya Priya - SPB, Chitra

Goosebump moment#: Amazing deconstruction after the song ended with SPB explaining how the harmony played by the flute and strings
elevated his singing. These are the kind of moments that make a concert extra special and this was appreciated well by the audience.

31. Sorgame endraalum - Maestro, Priyadarshini

The prelude was performed as is and what a stunning prelude that is indicating the beauty of a foreign land. It was an instant connect for
the audience and Maestro also sang a few lines of this song in Telugu which was pretty relevant.

32. Ninaivo oru Paravai - Yuvan, RamyaNSK

RamyaNSK sang this amazingly, especially the humming portions and Yuvan was adequate. The orchestra just recreated the original’s
magic.

33. Keeravani – SPB/PriyaHemesh?? (Telugu)

Another wonderful performance by SPB. One of my really really favorite Telugu songs. At the end of the song, Maestro sang Kaatril Endhan Geetham and mentione its based on Keeravani raagam like the Keeravani song. Apparently, Vamsi requested Maestro to create a song like Kaatril Endhan Geetham and got the Keeravani number.

34. Thamthana Thamthana - Chitra, Anitha

IR introduced this song as having a completely different orchestration that what you had heard in the film. It had a complete western classic as against the Indian classic backing in the original and it was really enjoyable. Amazingly sung by both Chitra and Anitha.

35. Priyathama Nannu - SPB, PriyaHemesh

First time listen for me and love at first listen.

36. Sundari Kannaal - SPB, Chitra

Goosebump moment# when the strings tremolo started in the prelude, this is as majestic as it can get in a live orchestration.

37. Pottu vaitha kaadhal - Karthik, Yuvan, Sathya

This song sounded beyond awesome, the orchestra was just thundering, a song made for a rock concert. Yuvan, Karthik & Sathya were
adequate but nowhere near Kamal’s high pitch rendition in the original.

38. Thakida thadhimi - SPB (Telugu & Tamil)

What a performace by SPB even though he struggled a bit in the charanams, the way he finished it with the “aaa aaah” portion towards the
end just brought back the scene where Kamal holds Jayaprada’s hand and protects her sindhooram from the rain.

39. Orampo - Maestro, Priyadarshini

A really fun song nicely rendered with all the fun elements intact. Both the Maestro and the female chorus were thoroughly enjoying rendering this song on stage.

40. Nila adhu / Thenpandi Seemayile - Maestro, SPB (Tamil /Telugu)
Unbelivable transformation of the Nila Adhu Vanathu mele tune into a lullaby. You have to hear it to believe it. Maestro’s rendering of the initial humming before Thenpandi Seemayile totally captivated the audience.

The audience did not move even after SPB/IR announced the end of the concert. We would have gladly waited for more, no one felt like going out.

High Points of the concert:

• Song selection. I loved each and every song that was performed including some of the Telugu songs that were first time listens.
  • The whole Orchestra and the way they performed for each and every song. It was near perfect with only one slipup that I can remember.
  • Almost all singers performed wonderfully. Special mentions to the female & male chorus singers, absolutely fantastic work.
  • On stage banter among SPB, IR, Chitra, Mano, Karthik providing the fun element. IR retained his sense of humor towards the end when introducing the singers and orchestra, especially he called out Priyadarshini as PeriyaDarshini quoting Karthik for giving her that name.
  • Sound mixing was done nicely overall and we got to enjoy both the vocals and instruments for a majority of the songs. There were a few slip ups when the vocals got drowned out by the instruments and vice versa. There were some harsh mic shrills a few times.

Low points:

• I felt that many among the audience didn’t show the respect that’s deserved for this kind of concert. When a song is being performed, people were just walking, chatting, taking pictures of themselves/others, watching videos on phone/tablet. I can understand the walking part if they have a kid who’s getting restless but otherwise why pay the money and come spoil it for others.
  • Some among the crowd were noisy / unruly and were whistling even after multiple requests from IR which ended him losing his temper and which ended in a tirade.
  • I felt the Telugu audience appreciated the whole concert well and enjoyed all the Tamil songs that were performed. Some among the Tamil audience were repeatedly asking for Tamil songs. This was ridiculous to say the least as the SanJose concert was well advertised to have a mix of Tamil & Telugu songs right from the beginning.
  • People shouting song requests even after IR & SPB had mentioned that they had practiced a selective list of songs so hard for months and can only perform that.
  • Sponsors taking too much to acknowledge themselves which I felt cut through some of the songs that would have been performed otherwise.

Last edited by rajkumarc on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Formatting issues)

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:17 pm

Lovely recap of the concert, rajkumarc!
Great summary as well Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks App for your appreciation Smile

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:20 pm

rajkumarc,
Wonderful write-up in detail and nice summary. the clap Definitely felt like sitting with you and watching the show. Thank you very much! I also see the number of telugu songs are more compared to NJ concert which is very good. AdhE Neevu was a beautiful addition! It is sad to hear that audience were not too keen to listen.

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks V_S for your appreciation, glad you liked it. Read from Hub that IR was very pleased overall with the Bay Area audience, perumaya irukku Smile.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:31 pm

@rajkumarc - yes, we took a good amount of vicarious pleasure in reading your update.
Who is njv there ? Can we get him here ? Also, irir123. Would have loved to meet many of the fellow hubbers. If it had been a get together earlier in the day, I'd have made it.
And yet to hear writeface's awesome stereo system :-)

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:44 pm

India post report on Bay Area concert

The highlight of the night was amazingly synchronized orchestra, rich in strings and percussion. The musical treat ended with a rewrite to one of his famous tunes from Nayagan and he appreciated all those Telugu and Tamil fans who have made a home for themselves in United States, for sharing this historic night with him, which was certainly one to remember for all those present. The timeless feel of it transcends all kinds of literal and metaphorical boundaries. With over 30 years of delivering musical treat to his fans, he still holds his fort and enjoys a huge and loyal patronage.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakalakala Vallavar Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:07 pm

Playlist of 11 Vids from today's telecast of Vijay TV Toronto Concert

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKy1i9LPAEn7GnN1MyQVNocTJDhqpIdSw

Rest of the concert vids expected in coming days,,, we can ponder these till official vids come from StarVijay Channel
Sakalakala Vallavar
Sakalakala Vallavar

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:41 pm

IR in Australia this May. Smile
Concerts of Raaja - Page 9 BFE_r6qCAAA_Rrq
Courtesy: twitter: IlaiyaraajaFans

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 07, 2013 12:56 am

Local mag seems to be highlighting this :

http://thenral.com.au/wp-content/Epaper/april2013/index.html

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:48 am

Lyca Mobile / Ayngaran kind of sponsors for the London Aug 24 show.

Surprised to see Chinmayi's name in the list Surprised 

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:54 am

S P Shailaja is an interesting choice - must be due to the big fandom for her among old IOKS rasigargaL!

oru mAthiri unusual feeling listening to the ilangaiththamizh & punnagai mannan theme music as BGM (meant in the movie for Sinhalese girl played by Revathy)...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Kamal in IR's London concert

இந்த முறை இசைஞானி இசையில் கமல்ஹாஸனும் மேடையில் பாடுவார் என எதிர்ப்பார்க்கப்படுகிறது.

சிறந்த பாடகராகவும் திகழும் கமல்ஹாஸன், தன் சினிமா வாழ்க்கையில் அதிகப் பாடல்கள் பாடியிருப்பது இளையராஜா இசையில்தான் என்பது குறிப்பிடத்தக்கது.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  D22_Malar Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:31 pm

Wow....lucky Londoners... Kamalji on board.... the song list must be quite interesting...thinking 

Jayachandran,,, what a choice.. luckily he's there. hopefully no massacres of ''maancholai kilithano' or ''raasathi unna'' by HH!!

Any chances of seeing IR in spore/msia anytime sooner? hmmmm....hopefully soon....'fingers crossed'
D22_Malar
D22_Malar

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:28 am

app_engine wrote: Kamal in IR's London concert

இந்த முறை இசைஞானி இசையில் கமல்ஹாஸனும் மேடையில் பாடுவார் என எதிர்ப்பார்க்கப்படுகிறது.

சிறந்த பாடகராகவும் திகழும் கமல்ஹாஸன், தன் சினிமா வாழ்க்கையில் அதிகப் பாடல்கள் பாடியிருப்பது இளையராஜா இசையில்தான் என்பது குறிப்பிடத்தக்கது.

Concert @ The O2 Shocked with the inclusion of new singers hope this concert moves away from the usual FM station playlists

Skr, where are the rehearsal videos and songs list
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  skr Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:24 pm

Wiz , 
The rehearsals started only on Wed .. I beleive the song list will be a bit different from the Canada one and will cater to Jayachandran and SP Shailaja.
Another inclusion is Chinmayi however the big miss will be Chitra.

skr

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Press meet (thanks to the tweet by Arulselvan sir):

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Rehearsing 43 songs it seems but says 25 songs will fill 5 hours typically.
(janani / nAn thEdum / sorgamE enRAlum are going to be there).

rAsA humbly admits it's so difficult to reproduce the originals Smile

He gives the priyA BGM example for that, highlighting the difficulty in "taking notes for existing score, for reproduction". 

Useless dinamalar twists his words in reporting - while rAsA talks about making notations for existing music, the mag reported as if he were challenging MD's to "compose" within a short time!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  vicks Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:03 pm

app_engine wrote:
He gives the priyA BGM example for that, highlighting the difficulty in "taking notes for existing score, for reproduction". 
 For your viewing pleasure : (starts at 1:10:54)

vicks

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Vicks,

Thanks for the detail. paper news la parthen idhai. IR solli irukar. 10th reel nu. adhu edhu nu theiryama
thedindu irundhen...........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Lukewarm response so far?

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down