Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abbayitho Ammayi - new Telugu album popular with IRFs

+17
Raaga_Suresh
irfan123
mythila
ravinat
rajkumarc
kamalaakarsh
Shank
Sakalakala Vallavar
panniapurathar
Usha
writeface
Wizzy
plum
sheepChase
kiru
rajaclan
jaiganesh
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Abbayitho Ammayi - new Telugu album popular with IRFs - Page 3 Empty Re: Abbayitho Ammayi - new Telugu album popular with IRFs

Post  irfan123 Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:31 am

ravinat wrote:The orchestration on a few songs in this film reminds me of the style that Raja has used in Oli Tharum Sooriyanum from Vaalmiki...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VaEVSbob44

Kallunu song strikes me back to "pootukal poatalum" (shatriyan) ..that was fast one symphonic.. kallunu resembles same pattern slower version.

irfan123

Back to top Go down

Abbayitho Ammayi - new Telugu album popular with IRFs - Page 3 Empty Re: Abbayitho Ammayi - new Telugu album popular with IRFs

Post  irfan123 Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:54 am

ravinat wrote:The orchestration on a few songs in this film reminds me of the style that Raja has used in Oli Tharum Sooriyanum from Vaalmiki...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VaEVSbob44

Eduru choosthunu reminds me :adichachu lucky prize (eeramaanea rojavea) hashed with :dingu daanga rappapoa: (valli)

irfan123

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:30 am

irfan123 wrote:
Kallunu song strikes me back to "pootukal poatalum" (shatriyan) ..that was fast one symphonic.. kallunu resembles same pattern slower version.

Both are waltz, actually 'poottukkaL' is what I used to call an inspiration of the famous "my favorite things" (sound of music)...a song often quoted for people to get introduced to waltz Smile

BTW, started a thread on IR & waltz here (for which this kanulu kalanu song is somewhat responsible):
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t245-ir-s-waltz-hits

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:16 am

kanulu kalanu.. indha paatu. ethanai peruku.. ethanai paatai nyabagapaduthigiradhu.  something Great dhan.......

Violin vicky's Performance........  

paatin tune inum manasil nirkavillai... Interludes... innum kashtam.........   indha paatai.... romba azhaga... easya... play panntar...

adhu dhan avaroda Greatness. Really Great..........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:35 pm

On a not entirely related note, here I was thinking the beat of Tholiparuvam is not all that trendy (brings to mind songs like Kallathanamai from early 90s) and now I hear current hit pop song Pompeii and it's full on 80s.  What was out of vogue is now back in vogue and IR is right in step.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:20 am

CR,

Interesting on how you compare SPB and Karthik. This was exactly how SPB was compared with TMS in Tamil and Gantasala in Telugu Smile Everyone felt SPB was effeminate when compared to his predecessors and the reason for that was same as what you gave now Smile That the earlier heroes were 'stronger' and the newer heroes like Kamal were effeminate and needed a softer voices. The world does go in a cycle.

Whichever way you look with SPB /Janaki/ Chitra we have lost a legendary generation. None of the new folks can become legends. Some may vote for Shreya but unfortunately she doesn't have the same quality music directors which Janaki / Chitra had to climb so high. Given the current trends, Raja also has no choice but to use voices which he probably knows are sun optimal but who are able to connect with the youngsters of the day.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:02 pm

I have heard that complaint about SPB before from old timers.  But it doesn't address how he used to sing for Rajni (still does, in fact) who was just as rugged and masculine as the previous generation of heroes.  SPB could mould his approach to suit the tough heroes like Rajni/Captain/Sathyaraj as also the softies like Mike Mohan.  The difference between Ghantasala/TMS and SPB is of texture: harsh/rough in the case of the former and soft/smooth in the case of SPB.  But not so much in terms of volume output.  SPB can produce a lot of output just like the older singers.  So the difference between Kamal/Rajni and today's heroes isn't just about looks (which is what I had initially thought) but also dialogue delivery.  Dialogue delivery was also more full on and dramatic in earlier films and nowadays can be flat/deadpan. Earlier the consideration in choosing a singer was his voice should suit the hero's personality overall.  Now, irrespective of whether the hero is Vijay/Ajith or Jayem, they all want to sound cool on the songs.  The songs anyway have little connection with the script if we talk about the uber-masala films.  Yeah, IR has to operate in this kind of climate only and make the best of it.  On this film, I think he has.  While the singers in their own right may not match the greats of the past, there is at least no dissonance between singer and song.  They don't sound unsuitable for it which happened sometimes in recent soundtracks (like Ramya was queasy on that duet with Karthik from Un Samayal Arayil). He got singer selection bang on in Shamitabh too, also from this year.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:19 pm

It has been a while but finally I got to write about this album. Do read.

https://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2015/12/23/abbaiyitho-ammayi-modernism-of-the-master/

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:34 pm

Nice review, Sureshji!

நான் சொல்ல இருந்ததை நீங்க முந்தி சொல்லீட்டீங்க (பவதாரிணி மாதிரி)...

Actually I mentally prepared a comical post on that song but avoided it because of the flood & sadness around it...

May be I can post it now Wink

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:35 pm

I was waiting for your review Sureshji! Thanks and well analysed review on Abbayitho Ammayi. As you said, definitely this album is the biggest surprise from Maestro which came from nowhere and occupied all our hearts immediately. Mainly because of this reason, it should be No.1 for this year. I am enjoying this album more and more as each day pass by. While each and every song is a literature on its own, tholi paruvam strikes me back way higher for the reasons you mentioned. It does not want to stay at one place always aiming to leap all the time even when it gets a smallest space. I can literally visualize Maestro's brain and million neurons flowing here and there in him, when he composed this song. And how all these elements stay together and bounded to the melody. And what a melody it is!!! Sathya Prakash and Vibhavari are most gifted to sing this pristine beauty. While we heard Sathya Prakash scream to upper octaves in most of the songs he sings (may be his signature, sometimes unbearable), he needs a Maestro to tame him on how to bring his voice to the basics to expose his voice and singing nuances.

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:10 pm

Nice review.  Yeah, exactly, not too retro sounding nor too far out of the Raja canon either.  Sounds fresh yet familiar.  Basically hit the sweet spot here.  I would rank it higher than Megha for the melodies.  I didn't get too much of a rehash feeling in any of the melodies (unlike Mugilo which evoked Nizhalo Nijamo so strongly).  Also, as I mentioned earlier on, these melodies are more in the vintage mould; he's not tried to westernise the melodies unlike a Kalvane or Sattru Munbu.  Where that helps is giving a light feeling to his music again. Also he seems to have had a lot of conviction in the material.  I don't doubt that that is anyway the case irrespective of the album but say I would consider Chellam Konjum or Enna Vendum as the Megha equivalent of Tholi Paruvam but the orchestration in the latter is more dazzling.  I can't describe it in any further detail except to say there is a nice free flowing feeling throughout the album which is probably what has appealed so much to fans.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:36 am

app_engine wrote:Nice review, Sureshji!

நான் சொல்ல இருந்ததை நீங்க முந்தி சொல்லீட்டீங்க (பவதாரிணி மாதிரி)...

Actually I mentally prepared a comical post on that song but avoided it because of the flood & sadness around it...

May be I can post it now Wink

This was the post I mentally prepared but not posted due to flood, on "edhuru choosthunna" song :

Disclaimer : 
This is 100% imagination and no offence meant to the people who play roles in this conversation Wink

தேனி கண்ணன் (அல்லது அது போல ஒரு அசிஸ்டென்ட்) ராசாவிடம் அதிக குஷியோடு வருகிறார்:
"ஐயா, ஒரு புது சிங்கர் வந்திருக்காங்க! அப்படியே பவா பத்து வருஷத்துக்கு முன்னாடி பாடின மாதிரி பாடுறாங்க - அசந்துட்டேன்"

ராசா (அசுவாரஸ்யமாக) : அப்படியா? அதுக்கென்ன இப்போ?
(மனதுக்குள்) "மகள் என்பதற்காக பவாவைப் படாத பாடுபட்டுப் பாடவைத்தேன் - பாவமில்லாமல் பாவமாகப் பாடினாலும் யூனிக் குரல் அப்படி இப்படி என்று காம்ப்ரமைஸ் செய்து கொண்டேன்...இப்போ அது மாதிரி ஒரு பாடகிக்கு என்ன அவசியம்?"

தே.க. : "நீங்க கண்டிப்பாக ஒரு தடவை கேட்கணும் ஐயா, அப்படியே 10 வருஷம் பின்னாடி போய் லயிப்பீங்க"

ராசா (அசுவாரஸ்யம் தொடர, "என்ன இது விட மாட்டங்குறான்" என்று மனதில் நினைத்தாலும் வெளிக்காட்டாமல்) : இப்போ உடனே நேரம் இல்லையே, கொஞ்சம் பொறுத்து ஒரு நாள் கேக்கலாமே?

தே.க. : ஐயா, இப்படி பிரமாதமான பாடகியை சும்மா விடக்கூடாது ஐயா - ஒரு தடவ கேட்டா நீங்க உடனே அடுத்த ஆல்பத்துல பாட வச்சுடுவீங்க!

ராசா (இப்போது எரிச்சலுடுடன்) : இப்போ ஒன்னும் அவசரமில்லை, வேண்டாம்

அந்த நேரம் பார்த்து அங்கே பவதாரிணி வருகிறார் - அப்பாவும், தேனி கண்ணனும் பேசியது அரைகுறையாகக் காதில் விழுந்ததும் ஒரு காரணம் 

பவா: என்ன டாடி என்னமோ என் தலையை உருட்டுறீங்க? உங்க பேச்சுல என் பேர் கேட்டதே?

ராசா (மனதுக்குள்) - "ஐயோ, இந்தப்பெண் இப்போ ஏன் இங்க வந்தது" 
     (வெளியில்) : அதெல்லாம் ஒன்னும் இல்லம்மா, சும்மா உன் பாட்டு பத்தி கண்ணன் சிலாகிச்சார் 

தே.க. (வாய்ப்பைப் பயன்படுத்திக்கொண்டு) : ஆமாம்மா, நீங்க 10 வருஷம் முன் பாடின அதே இனிய குழந்தைக்குரலில் பாடும் ஒரு அருமையான பாடகி இருக்காங்க, அவங்க பாடறது கட்டாயம் கேக்கணும்னு ஐயா கிட்ட சொல்லிக்கிட்டு இருந்தேன்...(என்று இழுக்கிறார்)

பவா (உடனே) : டாடி டாடி ஐயோ எனக்கு உடனே அவ பாடறது கேக்கணுமே,  ப்ளீஸ் ப்ளீஸ் டாடி 

ராசா (மனதுக்குள்) : போச்சுடா, பிள்ளைங்களுக்காக என்னவெல்லாம் செய்ய வேண்டி இருக்கு - தென்னையைப் பெத்தா...
(வெளியில்) சரி, வரச்சொல்லுங்க ஒரு தடவ கேட்டுப்பாப்போம்...

(அந்த சுபயோக சுபதினத்திலும் பவா கூட இருந்து, கேட்டு, குதூகலித்து, சிபார்சு செய்து 'அப்பாயித்தோ அம்மாயி' தெலுங்கு ஆல்பத்தின் "எதுரு சூஸ்துன்னா" விளைவடைந்தது என்று சொல்லத்தேவையில்லை)

Wink

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  [μsic]மாபியா Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:57 am

குரல் தொடர்பாக நான் இத்தனை ஆண்டுகளாக சொல்லிவரும் கருத்து (மற்ற பெரும்பான்மை ராசா ரசிகர்களின் கருத்திலிருந்து வேறுபடும்) இதுதான்...
மொட்டையை பொறுத்தவரை குரல் மொத்த ஹார்மனியில் ஒரு இழை, கம்பி, தாள கருவி போல, ஒரு எலிமெண்ட்,
குரல் பிரதான கருவியாக வரும் சில பாடல்களை தவிர மற்ற அனேக பாடல்களை யார் வேண்டுமானாலும் பாடலாம் என்ற ஒரு நிலையை உறுவாக்கியதுதான் அவரின் பேசப்படாத ஒரு பங்களிப்பாக நான் கருதுகிறேன்.
[μsic]மாபியா
[μsic]மாபியா

http://myradiostream.com/irmafia

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:11 pm

[μsic]மாபியா wrote:
மொட்டையை பொறுத்தவரை குரல் மொத்த ஹார்மனியில் ஒரு இழை, கம்பி, தாள கருவி போல, ஒரு எலிமெண்ட்,
குரல் பிரதான கருவியாக வரும் சில பாடல்களை தவிர மற்ற அனேக பாடல்களை யார் வேண்டுமானாலும் பாடலாம் என்ற ஒரு நிலையை உறுவாக்கியதுதான் அவரின் பேசப்படாத ஒரு பங்களிப்பாக நான் கருதுகிறேன்.

இது நாங்கள் பலரும் பலமுறை சொல்லி இருக்கும் ஒன்று தானே Smile  

வேறுபாடில்லை என்றே நினைக்கிறேன்.

அதாவது முன்பு டிஎஃப்எம் பேஜ் / ஹப் மையம் மற்றும் இப்போது இங்கு வரும் ரா.ர.க்களின் பொதுக்கருத்து தானே Smile

புறவெளியில் உள்ள ரா.ர.க்கள் குறித்து நானெல்லாம் கவலைப்படுவதை நிறுத்தி ரொம்ப நாளாச்சு. (அவர்கள் பலவிதம் - வைமு காலம் தான் ராசாவின் பொற்காலம்னு சொல்லக்கூடிய ரா.ர.க்கள் கூட இன்றும் உண்டு.) 

பாடகன் மட்டுமல்ல கவிஞனும் பொருட்டல்ல என்பது தான் ராசா இசையின் சிறப்பும் அவர் கொண்டுவந்த புதிய மாற்றமும். (நடிகனும், இயக்குனனும், தயாரிப்பாளனும் - இப்படி அடுக்கிக்கிட்டே போகலாம்)

தர்க்கமே இல்லை.

என்றாலும், எஸ்பிபி ஜானகி வாசுதேவன் யேசுதாஸ் சித்ரா போன்றோருக்கு ராசாவே விசேட இடம் கொடுத்ததாக அங்கங்கே வாசித்திருக்கிறோம். (மற்றும் சுசீலாம்மா, லதா , ஆஷா போன்ற பழம்பெரும் பாடகிகளுக்கும்)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:46 pm

app_engine wrote:
[μsic]மாபியா wrote:

இது நாங்கள் பலரும் பலமுறை சொல்லி இருக்கும் ஒன்று தானே Smile  

வேறுபாடில்லை என்றே நினைக்கிறேன்.

அதாவது முன்பு டிஎஃப்எம் பேஜ் / ஹப் மையம் மற்றும் இப்போது இங்கு வரும் ரா.ர.க்களின் பொதுக்கருத்து தானே Smile

புறவெளியில் உள்ள ரா.ர.க்கள் குறித்து நானெல்லாம் கவலைப்படுவதை நிறுத்தி ரொம்ப நாளாச்சு. (அவர்கள் பலவிதம் - வைமு காலம் தான் ராசாவின் பொற்காலம்னு சொல்லக்கூடிய ரா.ர.க்கள் கூட இன்றும் உண்டு.) 

பாடகன் மட்டுமல்ல கவிஞனும் பொருட்டல்ல என்பது தான் ராசா இசையின் சிறப்பும் அவர் கொண்டுவந்த புதிய மாற்றமும். (நடிகனும், இயக்குனனும், தயாரிப்பாளனும் - இப்படி அடுக்கிக்கிட்டே போகலாம்)

தர்க்கமே இல்லை.

என்றாலும், எஸ்பிபி ஜானகி வாசுதேவன் யேசுதாஸ் சித்ரா போன்றோருக்கு ராசாவே விசேட இடம் கொடுத்ததாக அங்கங்கே வாசித்திருக்கிறோம். (மற்றும் சுசீலாம்மா, லதா , ஆஷா போன்ற பழம்பெரும் பாடகிகளுக்கும்)

Gentlemen, you lost me here. It takes a highly trained singer to do justice to IR's compositions. You can see people struggling in singing competitions or whenever they do an IR song well, they are considered good singers. Even the songs by the "rockstar of TN" are relegated by ardent IR fans who seek the equivalent telugu SPB versions. May be you meant, he does not need singers who can add their "improvisations" to the song or provide "inputs" on the composition. Same goes for the instrumentalists. Just like his "requirement" for good singers to sing his song, he seeks good instrumentalists as well (and goes abroad for this). There is a talk that he purposely made some compositions less challenging for people like Malaysia Vasudevan can sing (sometimes trashed as 'poor man's TMS'). But listen to MV songs they are benchmark for stylish or good bhaavam to the film songs. Please note, with MSV/IR songs you get the feel that the character in the movie is "actually" singing that song not some "stylish" new singer with weird beard and hat showing off his improvization and micro-composition skills with disregard for the emotion or some times even the essence of the original tune.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:06 pm

kiru wrote: not some "stylish" new singer with weird beard and hat showing off his improvization and micro-composition skills with disregard for the emotion or some times even the essence of the original tune.
 lol! I guess you saw yesterday's episode of Super Singer Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  panniapurathar Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:05 am

Judging by reviews looks like the movie bombed.  What a shame!

panniapurathar

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:05 am

It is true that in general IR songs are not easy to sing. It is also true that MV songs are not demanding.  Even in terms of bhaavam or style, loads of SPB songs are more challenging.  It's just that that aspect is neglected in discussions because SPB is tough even on a technical level before we even get to style.  So, basically IR had all bases covered.  He could compose songs that a layman could sing if required and he could also compose extremely challenging workouts for the singers (Anandha Raagam which IR himself described as more of an 'exercise' comes to mind).  Critics as well as fans need to avoid looking for one size fits all generalities when it comes to IR.  He is too versatile for that.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:59 am

V_S wrote:
kiru wrote: not some "stylish" new singer with weird beard and hat showing off his improvization and micro-composition skills with disregard for the emotion or some times even the essence of the original tune.
 lol! I guess you saw yesterday's episode of Super Singer  Smile
ha ha.. we are all 'birds of feather' I guess and understand what we are all talking about :-)

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:02 am

crimson king wrote:It is true that in general IR songs are not easy to sing. It is also true that MV songs are not demanding.  Even in terms of bhaavam or style, loads of SPB songs are more challenging.  It's just that that aspect is neglected in discussions because SPB is tough even on a technical level before we even get to style.  So, basically IR had all bases covered.  He could compose songs that a layman could sing if required and he could also compose extremely challenging workouts for the singers (Anandha Raagam which IR himself described as more of an 'exercise' comes to mind).  Critics as well as fans need to avoid looking for one size fits all generalities when it comes to IR.  He is too versatile for that.
Thats right..  for eg. in a composition he can compose with minimum and maximum # of instruments. I usually tell this joke (I think :-)) - what is the minimum # of instruments needed by a MD - MSV = vocals + tabla , IR = vocals + tabla + triangle/bell, ARR = computer :-) and ARR wins !!!

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3