Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rawk thread

+3
fring151
kv
crimson king
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

The Rawk thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Rawk thread

Post  fring151 Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:32 am

Was hearing "Love you to" today as I decided to trip on "Revolver" after a long time and realised that for all their interest in Indian music, GH's learning from Ravi Shankar etc their dabbling in Indian music can at best be considered superficial  Smile. I suppose it's fair to say Indian musicians (the better ones) have picked up and innovated in harmony and orchestration much more than their western counterparts have managed to tame Indian raagas or rhythms.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:38 am

"Within you without you" features some deeper exploration, but nothing spectacular.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:05 pm

Rather than Indian musicians, I would say Ilayaraja is more adept at using western concepts within indian music than vice-versa for Beatles or other Western artists.  I don't like SJ's 'one handed' piano chords (e.g. Geet Gata Hoon Main).  I understand that we may have got conditioned to these things and accepted them but from a Western point of view, it sounds hilariously childish.  In fact, pre-RDB, any attempts to use chords were fleeting at best.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Heard Heart of the Sunrise after aeons.  Always nice to hear a classic after a long time, gets back the freshness that dies away with repeated listening.

Leaving aside the dristhti parigaram of whiny Anderson, the band is totally on fire!  Amazing basslines, some beautiful piano and interesting synth work by Wakeman and more of an ensemble role for Howe, for a change.  Monster fills by Bruford.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:01 pm

@CK - I want to thank you for introducing Annie Haslam (I must have been living in a well). Yes, I see her pioneering work after few days of shuffle play on Spotify. I really enjoy her music - it is a familiar idiom (thanks to IR, I guess) -  sincere singing, honest arrangements and wholesome lyrics !!! . Something, I'd like my kids to listen and grow up. I enjoyed here - Moonlight Shadow very much. I will give Kate Bush some more try. Listen of Pie Jesu from Sarah Brightman (Symphony/Live in Vienna sounds good).
(BTW, give Woman Transcending/Communication and see whether it reminds you of a tamil song )

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:31 pm

You're welcome, kiru.  I too thought I must have been living under a rock when a samaritan recommended her work to me few years back.  Renaissance/Annie Haslam is the best kept secret of progressive rock.  By the by, Annie cannot write music.  She later learnt to write lyrics but the music has always been contributed by songwriters who collaborated with her.  

Moonlight Shadow is a Mike Olfield song dedicated to John Lennon and I prefer the original with Maggie Reilly's vocals. 

Was never reminded of any Tamil song by Communication Breakdown, but I never liked that song much.  Willow Song is my favourite from the Woman Transcending compilation.  

Speaking of which, it sounds like you have so far come across more of her 80s/90s work.  While she generally sounds wonderful across eras thanks to her evergreen voice, the meat is in the 70s (barring of course the entire Still Life album), namely her first solo album Annie in Wonderland as well as the Renaissance albums from Prologue to Azure D Or.  Going Home (based on Dvorak's World Symphony) from Annie in Wonderland is the genesis of the Still Life classical-lite formula with orchestral accompaniment and lovely choir.  

I mentioned a few of Renaissance's orchestral compositions in the other thread.  Now here's something more like Raja-jazz:

And topping it with some live Annie from the 70s.  Her live work is a better representation of her stupendous vocal virtuosity.  Check out her fluent trills on the chorus ("See the carpet of the sun...") in the fifth octave here, an incredibly flexible voice. 

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:40 pm

Will listen to Pie Jesu in a bit.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:19 am

I did listen to Pie Jesu.  I guess what I didn't like the first time around was the warbled diction, as she tries to imitate operatic singing.  The earlier generation of classically trained singers in Western pop/rock like Annie herself (and I believe Agnetha of ABBA was also trained) didn't do that and in fact pronounced the syllables very clearly, which I prefer.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:41 pm

omg just heard the news  Embarassed 

best cover imo

can a song get more abstract than this 

Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:10 pm

Wizzy wrote:omg just heard the news  Embarassed 

best cover imo

can a song get more abstract than this 

Those were the first Bowie songs I ever heard Smile Thanks for this intro (expecting more reccos now).

That said, the first song's guitar work kind of reminded me of this screamer:

Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:43 pm

Those were the first Bowie songs I ever heard The Rawk thread - Page 3 Icon_smile

that's impossible, let me refresh your memory from all the movies you must have seen(I hope)   Smile

used in 'Inglourious Basterds' during the theater sequence 

from Se7en end credits

when two gods came together(movie had a superheavy OST)

Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:46 pm

Aahn ippo seththa thEvala. modho reNdu kEtrukkEn (ivar dhAnnu theriyAmayE kEtrukkEn). mooNAvadhu kEttadhilla.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:20 pm

^you can from his first album Space Oddity(1967) till 1980 and then do Outside(1995),skip the rest.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:53 pm

One of the foremost pillars of prog has fallen, and in tragic circumstances.  Keith Emerson, one third of Emerson Lake and Palmer (a prog rock band that drew as many concert goers, if not more, as Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple in the 70s), died.  According to reports, he died of a possibly self inflicted gunshot wound. Read:  suicide.  Emerson was a phenomenal keyboard player and influential beyond words on the prog scene.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3