Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1

+44
nambik
Kr
ravinat
crimson king
dilbert
kaarigan
D22_Malar
writeface
Drunkenmunk
crvenky
Punnaimaran
fring151
endrum_raja
rajkumarc
layman10
MumbaiRamki
kamalaakarsh
Usha
mavurundai
Raaga_Suresh
vicks
Sanjeevi
balachidambaram
raajarasigan
mythila
groucho070
irir123
SenthilVinu
kiru
sheepChase
Wizzy
Sakalakala Vallavar
Bala (Karthik)
sagi
skr
kv
kameshratnam
plum
jaiganesh
Admin
Joe
V_S
app_engine
48 posters

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1 - Page 13 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1

Post  jaiganesh Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:07 am

SenthilVinu wrote:ok, I don't want to muddy the discussion more on BGM. My view is on record.

Good news from my side. I met Raja in Toronto in the Hotel he was staying. Showed him my feature trailer and explained what the film has done so far. He watched the trailer with full attention (like we see him doing any piece of work) Then, I told him about my next project and requested him to compose music for it (It is more of an international project). He was very positive and told me to meet him when my project is fully ready. He was easy to talk to and was flexible. I just got a such a kick out of showing him my trailer. My love for his music must have to mean something as I met him on a valentine's day (There were arrangements to meet him couple of days before but it didn't happen) It was probably the greatest valentine gift I can have!

Now I just have lot of work on my plate. Planning to meet him when I go to India and hopefully the finalized script/team will interest him.

I will try to post as much as I can on Raja...as I'm gearing up for the next project. Cheers.

SV -- neer yogakkaararyaa.. neraya punyam senjirukkeer.
My best wishes to you !!

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1 - Page 13 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1

Post  Raaga_Suresh Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:15 am

Senthi,

Super. Now I am looking forward to your project Smile

All the best to you. I hope you will complete the project soon and get Raja to score for you. Given your interest in music and your musical knowledge, Raja will be impressed enough to give a NEPV level score. I hope you have songs in your project?

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  groucho070 Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:39 am

Senthilvinu, congratulations, but what project is that. I think some of us are not quite aware on the mega project you are working on. Thanks.

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:44 pm

Senthil,
Congratulations and best wishes for your project's success. Very gifted and lucky to have interacted with Maestro. Eagerly looking forward to it. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:13 pm

வாழ்த்துகள் செந்தில்!

Interesting to know that it's an international project Smile

Just one curiosity kostin - did the trailer (that you've shown rAsA) have BGM? Of what kind?

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  SenthilVinu Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:30 pm

Hey guys! Thanks for nice comments.

Regarding the project, lot of discussion is happening on many fronts and it is bit too early to give any details on the project. I hope you guys can understand. I can say it is a Tamil subject that would touch a nerve with wider audience. So I'm trying to bring it to an international audience and I can't produce this on my own so I'm starting discussion with some upcoming Hollywood producers. The project has one theme song but the BGMs are extremely critical. It will have to be a huge orchestra but the BGM treatment is bit experimental so don't know if Raja will like it or whether it will interest him. Next meeting will be the key.

I do have another Thriller-horror (English) project that I love Raja to score but it all depends on which project takes off first. This project has no songs but BGMs are super important and will have a twisted Indian touch for the supernatural element. Sorry for being cryptic. I will reveal as soon the projects get going.

FYI, the feature film I finished last year is called "Waiting for Summer", Wrote, Directed & Produced by yours truly. We have played in 5 film festivals and won two best picture awards.

Cheers

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/waitingforsummerfilm
Trailer:

SenthilVinu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakalakala Vallavar Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Misskin;s new film, his own production too! Excited is a small word!

ஆதிபகவான் ‏@Sharankay
ஒரு சினிமால ராஜா இருந்தா அவர்தான் முக்கியம்ன்னு புரிஞ்சு அவர் பேர முன்னால் போட்றாரு பாரு http://www.dinathanthiepaper.in/2022013/MDSV342607-M.jpg … #Mysskin உண்மை கலைஞன்.

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1 - Page 13 MDSV342607-M
Sakalakala Vallavar
Sakalakala Vallavar

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:33 pm

thittu to BR on kumudam

plum (& others who read kumudam regularly), please update such juicy rAsA badhilkaL Smile

குமுதம் இதழில் வாசகர் ஒருவர் "மதுரையில் உங்கள் நண்பர் பாரதிராஜாவின் பட விழாவில் அவர் இப்போதும் இளைஞர் போல் படு சுறுசுறுப்பாகவும் நடிகைகளுடன் ஜாலியாகவும் சிரித்துப் பேசிக் கொண்டிருந்தார். ஆனால் உங்களைப் பற்றி பேச வரும்போது மட்டும் குறை கூறியும், புத்திமதி சொல்வதுமாக இருந்தாரே, அப்போது உங்கள் மனநிலை எப்படி இருந்தது?", என்று கேட்டிருந்தார்.

அதற்கு பதிலளித்த இளையராஜா, தன் மனக்குமுறலை பகிரங்கமாகக் கொட்டியுள்ளார்.

தனது பதிலில், "மேடையில் என்னைப் பற்றி பாரதிராஜா பேசிய விஷயங்கள் எல்லாமே என்னிடம் தனியாகப் பேசியிருக்க வேண்டியவை.

ஆனால் ஏன் அப்படி பொதுமேடையில் பேசினார் என்றால் தனியாக என்னிடம் பேசும்போது அவருக்கு நான் கொடுக்கும் பதிலில், பேச முடியாவமல் வாயடைத்துப் போவாரே - அதுதான் காரணம்.

கிடைத்தற்கரிய மானிட ஜென்மத்தில் கிடைத்த நல்ல சந்தர்ப்பத்தை பயன்படுத்தி கடைத்தேறுவதை விட்டுவிட்டு தன் புகழைத் தானே பாடுவதிலும், அடுத்தவனை குறை கூறுவதிலுமா இந்த ஜென்மம் கழிய வேண்டும்?

அவருக்கு என் மீதுள்ள குறையெல்லாம் நான் அவரைப் போல இல்லையே என்பதுதான். அதாவது குடித்துக் கொண்டும், கூத்தடித்துக் கொண்டும் இருக்க வேண்டும் என்று நினைக்கிறாரோ என்னவோ? இல்லை, இப்படி ஏதோ ஒரு விஷயத்தை நான் இழந்து கொண்டிருப்பதாக நினைக்கிறாரோ?

அப்படி நான் மாறுவதென்பது நடக்கிற காரியமா? அவர் நினைக்கிறபடிதான் நான் இருக்க வேண்டுமா? இல்லை என்றால் ஏன் இந்தப் புத்திமதி, என்னை மேடையில் அவமதிப்பது? அவர் பேச்சை வெறும் பைத்தியக்காரன் பேச்சு என்று விட்டு விட வேண்டியதுதான்.

எப்படியோ இந்த ஜென்மம் வீணாகி விட்டது. கடந்தது கடந்ததுதான். பூங்காற்று திரும்புமா? என்ன இப்படி எழுதிவிட்டேனே என்று உங்களுக்குத் தோன்றலாம்.

அவ்வளவு பெரிய விழாவில் என்னை வற்புறுத்தி அழைத்துச் சென்று என்னை அவமதித்துப் பேசியது மட்டும் ஏற்புடைய செயல்தானா? அப்படிப் பேசினால் அது இணையதளத்திலும், காணொளிகளிலும் பதிவாக ஆகிவிடும் என்பது பாரதிராஜாவுக்குத் தெரிய வேண்டாமா?," என்று கூறியுள்ளார்

Shocked

Shocked

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:52 pm

app,

That was today's topic on twitter for many. Usual archanai for Raja. As usual Plum put up a stout defense Smile

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:56 am

Raaga_Suresh wrote:app,

That was today's topic on twitter for many. Usual archanai for Raja. As usual Plum put up a stout defense Smile
Oh my goodnes, what happened at the Madurai event ?

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:04 am

@senthil - awesome trailer. Is it 4k digital ?
@plum & Suresh. I don't disagree much with you guys. Did not mean to imply anything more than that it is a different style/genre that Rahman works with. I was also surprised when he started working with big orchestras. We should take it to mean
It is a validation of the path taken by IR and earlier IFM pioneers :-)

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  SenthilVinu Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:48 am

kiru wrote:@senthil - awesome trailer. Is it 4k digital ?
@plum & Suresh. I don't disagree much with you guys. Did not mean to imply anything more than that it is a different style/genre that Rahman works with. I was also surprised when he started working with big orchestras. We should take it to mean
It is a validation of the path taken by IR and earlier IFM pioneers :-)

Thanks Kiru. Yes shot in 4K but finished it in 2k.

SenthilVinu

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:40 am

Raaga_Suresh wrote:app,

Ofcourse, to me it is not even about Raja. It is about ppl not applying their brains and even basic logical thinking to understand his points. Forget engaging with a phenomenal mind, these folks are actually using the toilet part of their brain. Very harmful to rational thinking of the society in general.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:43 am

Apart from their being ad-hominem, what amuses me to no end is Raja-"critics"' lack of logical tightness in their attack. Almost always it is a leap of faith in obvious violation of basic logical principles that forms the basis for their critique, nay, attack:

Examples?

Raja says "Janaki was a extra-ordinary singer despite an ordinary voice"

This, if you parse it with basic logical sense, is a compliment.
But either through a desire to attack IR, and try to demean his character, or through genuine idiocy, which enables them to successfully miss the import of the statement, they interpret it as
"Raja attacks SJ as ordinary"
And then go on to quote it ad-nauseum as "proof" of Raja's arrogance.
Raja quotes 5 names who he thinks has unique voices. That includes his daughter.
Interpretation: Raja says his daughter is better than great singers.

Is it?
Q1: Is a unique voice symptom of greatness? Answer: obviously, no
Q2: When you make a list of 5, does it imply there is nobody outside those 5 who dont have unique voices. Answer: No
But don't expect idiots and vested interests to understand this.
On top of it, ivLO poRumaiyA logicalA explain paNNinAlum you get 2 reactions:
1. You are a Raja fanatic so you are attacking me.
2. You are saying something and all I don't understand you are just making it up.
My suggestion to these folks: Take a course in simple, basic, mathematical logic. I really feel for you if you live through your life without such basic skills, and basically, as an idiot. How sorry a life is yours!

Enough has been covered about how an alleged line in an unverified, source-not-attributed article about Raja dismissing the politics of "Music for peace" as kuppai has been taken as Raja said his brother as kuppai and how it has been propagated ruthlessly by some jenmams.

sari, these are vested interests with something against IR so they will try to throw such sERu

My question to anti-IRs who want to believe these jenmams: Dont you pause to think about the logical inadequacies of your belief?

Why such haste to crucify IR' character without any analysis at all from your side?
Why do you want to live through life without basic logical skills?
How do you live with yourselves?

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  groucho070 Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:15 am

Was chatting on gmail with a very close friend. She and her hubby got my son a very nice mini-piano toy, very expensive (Sesame Street merchandise). I thanked her during the chat, and said (again) that hopefully my son will be the next Ilayaraja. And she said, "No, AR Rahman, he is a nicer person".

Pressure went up. Fingers shivering. Calmed myself down and wrote to her, "doesn't matter who these people are in real life, the output matters. Plus, what you see is not what you get. We shall not talk about that or we'd be ex-friends" She agreed. Plum, what you said about Malaysians. On dot!

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 am

grouch - Smile

About Malaysians, obviously generalisations are harmful but trust me, tfmpage kAlathulErundhu observe paNNi vaRREn. Atleast I can say this, ppl who follow TFM from Malaysia are generally lacking in logical skills. I really dont want to be obnoxious but to date, the only sensible, logical TFM observer I have seen from Malaysia is our Grouch.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  groucho070 Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 am

Neengga nalla tittungga, nAn kandukkamAtten, in the meantime I need a wall to muttify, yEnthAn ippadi irukkAnggalO, tuuu.....

groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:16 pm

App- Mom bought Kumud and Vikat only today. Will post some Q&As

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Kumudam Q & A Series
-------------------
Q: Is there some kind of convention in music? (isai marabu endru EdhAvadhu kattupAdu uNdA?)

(phrases in brackets my additions to add context, obviously, interpretation is mine)
A: (as music composers) it is our duty to make the next generation conversant with this(musical conventions)

As long as we have the concern that *this* should not go out of circulation or be forgotten(disappear from our collective consience) - be it musical or linguistic or good traits(naRpaNbugaL), they will live on...

Those conventions are things that need to be preserved

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Kumudam Q & A Series
--------------------
Q: Why do talented people have pride/conceit? Is that also God's creation?

A: Talent and Pride are twin-borns. It is rare for one to exist without the other*. Just as the existence of day is proven by the existence of night, as anger is annotated by peace, like the two sides of a coin - pride and talent.

All this is not God's creation. These are things that appear by themselves and end up destroying themselves

* I know you are tempted to say - See Rahman, See MSV. Dont they prove that talent can exist without pride. But I believe without pride, they couldnt have achieved what they did. Not having pride enbadhu vERu, not expressing pride enbadhu vERU.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:19 pm

BR question is covered in the report that you shared.
I think he has chosen words very precisely - I will leave it to our Vaazhkudai sir to interpret it for our benefit (he is the right person to do it)

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:52 pm

nanRi plum, for the shares Smile

radiospathy blog on IR-GA-Ramarajan, telling the obvious things...

ராமராஜன் இயக்கிய படங்களில் இசைஞானி இளையராஜாவை இசையமைப்பாளராக்கியும் பாட்டுக்களைக் கேட்டு வாங்கியிருக்கிறார். ஆனால் இவரின் அடுத்த சுற்றில் நாயகன் ராமராஜன் என்ற கலைஞன் நீடித்து நிலைத்து நிற்க இளையராஜாவின் பங்கு பெரும்பங்கு என்பதைக் கண்ணை மூடிக்கொண்டே சொல்லிவிடலாம். அந்த அளவுக்கு ராமராஜனின் படங்களில் ராஜாவின் பாடல்கள் விஷேசமாக இருக்கும், குறிப்பாக நகரம் சார்ந்த கதைக்களனைக் கொண்டு அமைந்த மோகன் படங்களில் ராஜா என்றும், கிராமம் சார்ந்த கதைக்களனைக் கொண்ட ராமராஜன் படங்களில் ராஜா என்றும் இரட்டை சவாரி ஆனால் இரண்டு நாயகர்களுக்குமே இந்த இசை தான்

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:12 pm

plum,
Nice series of posts with valid facts. cheers We can't help but only pity them. The most pity thing as you said is they don't even want to try thinking why this is happening, direct attack because that comes at no cost (of their brains) and comes with so much ease.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:19 pm

kiru wrote:Oh my goodnes, what happened at the Madurai event ?

You probably know that contrary to his typical nature, IR had attended two audio releases of other composers recently. Both had VM penning some songs. For unknown reasons, VM was not on stage (in one case not even on invitation).

One was viswaroopam (composers Shankar-Ehsan-Loy) and IR attended the function obviously for Kamal's sake. Released the audio and Kamal praised him for the friendly gesture. VM was absent! (Someone said a close relative's death was the reason. Our general inference is that rAsA would have told 'avan vandhA nAn varamAttEn' Laughing)

Second was 'annakkodiyum kodiveeranum' and IR attended the function at Madurai (BR's invitation said Maniratnam will be on stage too but MR chose not to attend, VM's name was missing in invitation). The MD is G V Prakash and rAsA reportedly praised the boy, dispelling the myth that he doesn't praise younger "talents". There was a picture of IR-KR-YSR-GVP all on stage.

While BR had some praises for rAsA on stage (e.g. BR told IR "audience ellAm nee vandhappO ezhundhirichchAnga, enakku appadi seyyalai"), he also had some "advices" Laughing That has become the problem thing now.

The most irritating among those was the one asking him to work with VM again.

And he said it with some harsh reasoning ("madhuraiyil oru mottai gOpuram irukku - adhu mAthiri ippO thirai isai irukku", meaning VM is kalasam to the mottaikkOburam called IR).

nalla vELai, rAsA didn't pongify in that meeting itself Laughing He kept 'avai mariyAdhai' - possibly for Madurai, it could have been different in Chennai.

In any case, he now showed his displeasure in kumudam. From a "BR-IR-combo-fan" PoV, this rejuvenated ladAi is definitely a shock.

It appeared they are in better terms (though not working together on a project) based on IR's varalARRu suvadukaL, directors' function, NEPV release function and the annakkodi invitation etc. "Who knows, they could even work together for a future project" - one would have thought.

Now it's clear appadi oru future project kidaiyavE kidaiyAdhu.

That's ok - evvaLavO pAththAchchu...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:57 pm

@app - thanks for the synopsis. I think BR knows IR well, but does not know the nature of the mind inside IR.

I've mentioned this before, but I think as a society we are able to tell the smart people from the bad but not the extra-ordinary among these smart people.
IR belongs to this category. Not all people who do music think the same way, I think IR works like a STEM person (Science/Tech/Engg/Math). There is not much trial-and-error. The logic is worked out in the head and work executed after (just like you would write code). STEM people with extra-ordinary skills are characterized by a keen sense of precision in their logic. When 'precision' is the watch word, there is no room for political correctness or so called 'humility' at times. For eg, in the case of singers, as a Music Director, he gives his honest opinion (even though I think in the case of Bhava there is a personal bias - understandable as he is a human after all). This is the reason, he speaks his mind openly. Again, with SPB on stage, he would say, KJY is his favorite singer. Another aspect of such people are keen sense of logic - you could see this in the way IR talks.
So, if you know how an 'extra-ordinary' mind works and the psychology of such a person (sometimes show irritability/impatience) you would understand IR and not expect him to act/behave like other artsy/filmy folks. (BTW, I think IR would make it to Mensa club easily).
Maybe people in the film world are not exposed to such brilliance that commonly as somebody in the STEM world. This is where the majority of the misunderstanding comes (my guess). Maybe if he expressed his eccentricities/idiosyncracies like Kannadhasan (drinking etc) it would have been ok :-) But IR chose to go the demure/austere philosophical/spiritual way and he now is out-of-place with the rest of the artsy/filmy personality types.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next