Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1

+44
nambik
Kr
ravinat
crimson king
dilbert
kaarigan
D22_Malar
writeface
Drunkenmunk
crvenky
Punnaimaran
fring151
endrum_raja
rajkumarc
layman10
MumbaiRamki
kamalaakarsh
Usha
mavurundai
Raaga_Suresh
vicks
Sanjeevi
balachidambaram
raajarasigan
mythila
groucho070
irir123
SenthilVinu
kiru
sheepChase
Wizzy
Sakalakala Vallavar
Bala (Karthik)
sagi
skr
kv
kameshratnam
plum
jaiganesh
Admin
Joe
V_S
app_engine
48 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:32 pm

The hindu report on a CBE painting exhibition

Ilaiyaraja and Sachin Tendulkar smile out of their portraits.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1 - Page 11 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:45 am

For Android people

(me recently moved to the i thingy)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:54 am

Encountering transitions

Highly political article (I'm not agreeing to a most of it BTW).

But the max uLaRal is here:

Such feelings were heightened in the way Mani’s films encouraged both Ilayaraja and AR Rahman to extend themselves beyond the regional boundaries to embrace jazz, rap, hip-hop, techno-funk and even the gentle strains of Sufiana, while also exploring the entire technical spectrum of digital sound.

Shocked

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:01 am

இளையராஜாவை திட்டித்தீர்த்த பாரதிராஜா

So, all the BR kasamusAs didn't appear in the regular tabloid websites Rolling Eyes

Why?

They only talked about the 'mottai gOpuram' thingy. But there seems to more of such indulgences by BR there Laughing

In any case, Mahendran had done great honor to IR Smile

எல்லோரும் பாரதிராஜாவை பாராட்டினாலும் ஒவ்வொரு முறை மேடை ஏறும் போதும் பாரதிராஜா இளையராஜாவை வானளாவ புகழ்ந்தார். என்ன ஒன்று புகழின் உச்சிக்கு கொண்டு சென்று அங்கிருந்து தொம்மென்று கீழே போட்டு விட்டார். தண்ணியடித்திருப்பவர்கள் மத்தியில் தண்ணியடிக்காமல் உட்காந்திருப்பதை விட பெரிய இம்சை எதிரும் புதிருமான இருவருக்கு இடையில், இருவருக்கும் நண்பராய் இருப்பது. பாரதிராஜா அது போன்ற ஒரு தர்மசங்கடமான சுழலில் மாட்டிக்கொண்டிருக்கிறார். தனக்காக நடத்தப்படும் இந்த விழாவில் அந்த இருவரையும் ஒன்றாக மேடையேற்றி விடவேண்டும் என்று போராடி கடைசியில் தோற்றுப் போன ஆதங்கம் வெளிப்படையாக தெரிந்தது.
கங்கை அமரனைப் பற்றி பேச்சு வந்த போது "மறுபடியும் இதே பிறவி எடுக்க முடியுமா? தம்பி தானே! அவன் மேல் என்ன கோபம்" என்று ஆரம்பித்தவர், சரி விடு நிறைய பேசி வேண்டி வரும் பிறகு பார்த்துக் கொள்ளலாம் என்று வேறு டாபிக் போய் விட்டார். ஏற்புரையில் G.V.பிரகாஷ்குமார் பற்றி பேசிய போது வாழைமரம் கூட தனக்கு பின் ஒரு குருத்தை விட்டுப் போகிறது உனக்கு பின் ஆள் வேண்டாமா? வருபவர்களை பாராட்ட வேண்டியது தானே! என்றார். அதே சமயம் என் தாயிடம் கூட கெஞ்சியதில்லை. உன் ஒருவனிடம் தானே பணிந்திருக்கிறேன் என்றும் உருகினார்.
இளையராஜா மிக சுருக்கமாக தனது பேச்சை முடித்துக் கொண்டார். ரசிகர்கள் பாடச்சொல்லி சததமிட, நான் இங்கு பாட வரவில்லை என்றவர் ரசிகர்கள் தொடந்து கூச்சலிட, பாடாமல் விடமாட்டீர்கள் போல என்று பாடத் தயாரானார். அதற்குள் பாரதிராஜா எதை, எதையோ பேசி திசை திருப்பி விட்டு விட்டார்.
இயக்குனர் மகேந்திரன் பாரதிராஜாவிற்கும் தன்க்குமான உறவைப் பற்றி பேசும் போது கூறியது, "பாரதிராஜா தனது தாயைப் பற்றி பேசும் போது வார்த்தை வராமல் தடுமாறினார். பாரதிராஜாவைப் பற்றி பேசும் போது நானும் அது போன்ற மனநிலையில் தான் உள்ளேன். என்ன பேசுவது என்றே புரியவில்லை. சினிமாவைப் போல் இங்கும் இளையராஜா ரீரிகார்டிங் செய்தால் எவ்வளவு நன்றாக இருக்கும். ஏனென்றால் நாம் மனதில் நினைப்பதை நம்மை விட மிகத்திறமையாக வெளிப்படுத்த இளையராஜா ஒருவரால் தான் முடியும்"

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  vicks Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:51 am

not sure if this has been posted before, but I found this story mind blowing (volume gets low when the juicy part begins) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5bulLltWeQ

vicks

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Person from Malaysia writes about the thaippoosam festival there, also reminiscing of his younger days

I remembered the thaneer panthals as simple wooden stalls decorated with leaves and simpler designs during my childhood days. Hit songs from Ilayaraja, a South Indian film music composer, were blasted then.

Well, wherever ThamizharkaL are, loudspeaker culture cannot be ignored Smile (And correspondingly, IR songs at one point of time!)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:19 pm

One more blogger starts with annakkiLi

What makes Ilayaraja genius, is his ability to create moods in his songs. And not just 'happy' songs and 'sad' songs. Or indeed, 'angry' or 'lustful' songs. Most good composers can do that. What Ilayaraja can do is create a 'spirited teenager with a crush' song. And even that doesn't encompass the range of emotions he captures in his songs. Most people think its his ability to connect with the rural Tamilians. Perhaps that's a factor - but that's not his genius. His genius is his ability to touch the soul and recreate moments of your past in his music. For who hasn't been a sixteen year old with a crush?

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Kumudam Q and A collection:
Did a bit of translation(with my vazhakkamAna idaiserugalgaL)

Kumudam Q & A
----------------

Q: So many Playback singers have graced our industry. You have also introduced quite a few of them. Of all these, who do you think has the most unique voice

IR:
There are several types of voices (pala ragangaL uNdu)
A certain type of voice is good for any kind of song. Anything in those voices will sound good. Top among these are Lata Mangeshkar(sic) and Mehdi Hasan

There is another type where the voice is ordinary but the musical talent inherent in the person makes the net output shine just as bright. Like Janaki.

Ashaji is a separate category - both voice and talent are very good

There is another type - whatever they sing, it will not be appealing

******************Small addition of my mind voice here*******************
(Me: yes, go on, sir, name it, name him, name the culprit. Starts with M and ends with O. 4 letters. AN in the middle, IR: gup chip kahbardaar)
Of all these, a unique type - a handful have a unique voice. You cannot find another like that anywhere in the world. Those voices are
1.Notking Cole
2.Bhanumathi Amma
3.S Varalaxmi Amma
4. My Daughter Bhavadharini #MYSONNNNNN BGM HERE
5. Swarnalatha

It is rare for anyone to possess a voice like the above

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:43 pm

Kumudam Q&A
--------------

Q: Have you seen the movie "Gandhi"? Did you like it?

IR:
Oh yes in 1982 itself when I had gone to Paris, Very much liked it
But, several years later, saw the serial "Mountbatten" serial on a Singapore TV channel. The way they had captured Gandhi's appearance, demanour etc were all better than the Attenborough movie. It was closer to the "Indian colour" and Indian style of speaking English

The production values of that serial amazed me even more than the movie. The movie wasnt as grand as this serial. They had depicted historic events more accurately and elaborately
They even touched upon the Nehru-LadyMountbatten frenship.

It was a 12 episode serial. I have requested it for my personal collection but still haven't received it.

Questioner: nAn unnai padam pArthiyAnnu dhAnE kEttEn...

My Notes:
* see my mApLa talend, rasanai, extent of film appreciation
* perusu collects TV serials even. bayangara kalA rasigan pOlayE!

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Looks like mAlai malar is rehashing IR's varalARRu suvadukaL from dinathanthi

Is mAlai malar from the same dinathanthi group?

சின்ன வயதில் இளையராஜா பாடிய பாட்டு பெண் குரலில் அமைந்தது! குரலைக் கேட்டு விட்டு, பாடுவது பெண் என்று பந்தயம் கட்டியவர்கள் ஏமாந்தனர்.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  mavurundai Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:17 am

Cover Version of Manaku Dosthi from Manthri Gari Viyyankudu
Original :

Cover Version

mavurundai

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:17 am

Wonderful to hear the cover version. Thank you mavurundai!.

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:07 pm

@mavurundai - Awesome.. are you the keyboardist ?
How many different musicians are hiding inside IR ?

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  mavurundai Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:31 am

kiru wrote:@mavurundai - Awesome.. are you the keyboardist ?
How many different musicians are hiding inside IR ?

@Kiru
Me a keyboardist! No way Surprised Just பொதுச்சேவை!

mavurundai

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:50 pm

Picked up this youtube from a blog - a nice "A cappella" on a TV competition (group of singers doing en iniya pon nilAvE, ennuLLE ennuLLE & manRam vandha thenRalukku) :

I see singer Karthik among the audience...must be a big sponsor doing this program. Does anyone (who watches Vijay TV regularly) know the details? What is this Supersinger T20 Superkings (too many super business Laughing )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:06 pm

A very nice article on singer composer A M Raja

He was the reason why our man has to be "iLaya" rAjA Smile

BTW, the reason for quoting this post here is one line in that article :

Ilayaraja was a guitarist in his troupe for some time.

Of course, there's also reference to IR's songs sung by AMR's wife, Jikki.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Remix of jagada jagada ('vidiya vidiya nadanam' of idhayaththaith thirudAthE) for a Telugu movie

Simbhu has raised the vigor in the team, by singing a power mix song 'Jagada Jagada' which is said to be a tribute to Ilayaraja composed song 'Jagada Jagada' from Nagarjuna's 'Geethanjali'.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:53 pm

blog post of a Thamizh writer

This sa.na.Kannan's book 'rAjarAjachOzhan' is supposedly a big seller for kizhakku padhippagam (as claimed by himself in another blog post)...

Anyways, the above blog post calls the following as "factu" :

Mani Ratnam with Ilayaraja (in tamil): 8 films. 6 hits. 2 flops.
Mani Ratnam with Rahman: 11 films, 3 hits, 8 flops (incl kadal).

Leaving alone the ARR stuff, what are the (original) movies MR did with IR in Thamizh and how did the public respond to them?

pagal nilavu - Sathyaraj / Revathy / Murali - songs were hits but movie wasn't all that big success IIRC. At the max, can be called an average grosser. (ok movie in my personal opinion, watched it at the time of arrival...people in hostel compared one character to the officer in "an officer and a gentleman")

idhayakkOyil - Mohan / Radha / Ambika - songs were much bigger hits, as usual rAsA doing great work for Motherland Pictures - another average grosser, IIRC. Yes, there were 100 day posters etc but the movie possibly had high costs and thus limited profitability. Regardless, the producer had a fight with rAsA and went on to book L-P for his next movie. Recently, the producer also kadichchified MR in the press because of BRangan's book on MR. (I haven't watched this movie)

mouna rAgam - Mohan / Karthik / Revathy - certified hit, both songs and movie! Perhaps the "big break" for the director in TF. (Watched it only a few years back, on computer, excellent!)

nAyagan - Kamal - hit and acclaimed, could even be called attaining the status of a cult classic. (Loved it watching many times in theater..later, on the TV too)

agni natchaththiram - Prabhu / Karthik / Amala - big hit, perhaps the best songs for any MR film, IR in top form! (kuppai movie in my personal opinion, watched only a couple of years back, on DVD)

Anjali - Raghuvaran / Revathy / Prabhu - songs were bigger hits than the movie which was a hit but not in the scale of his prior three movies. (my most fav MR movie)

thaLabathi - Rajini - hit and praised a lot during later years than at the time of arrival (my first time watch in theater wasn't that pleasant, felt irritated with the violence and rated overall as just ok, appreciation increased much during later watches on small screen)

That way only 7 direct Thamizh movies by MR with IR. If we add 'idhayaththaith thirudAthE' as a Thamizh movie (while in reality it got dubbed from Telugu Geethanjali), that would be another massive hit movie!

That way, I don't know what two movies that the writer classify as "flops" Rolling Eyes

Perhaps the first two?

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:37 am

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/kamal-hassan-records-ilayarajas-tune-at-30minutes-notice/372863-71-180.html
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  groucho070 Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:57 am

plum wrote:But, several years later, saw the serial "Mountbatten" serial on a Singapore TV channel. The way they had captured Gandhi's appearance, demanour etc were all better than the Attenborough movie. It was closer to the "Indian colour" and Indian style of speaking English

The production values of that serial amazed me even more than the movie. The movie wasnt as grand as this serial. They had depicted historic events more accurately and elaborately
They even touched upon the Nehru-LadyMountbatten frenship.

It was a 12 episode serial. I have requested it for my personal collection but still haven't received it.

Same Singapore TV we saw (we live in south of Peninsular Malaysia, we can get Singapore channel, albeit dad has to go out and do some stunts with the antenna to get the channel clearly). Thoroughly enjoyed it better than Attenborough's overrated one. pala DVD shops hunt panni pArthen, cannot get it.

IR should try amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Mountbatten-The-Last-Viceroy/dp/B000EDWLSW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360911398&sr=8-1&keywords=mountbatten+dvd

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:27 am

Like I said see mApLa art appreciation standards. namma vasishtar kraucher rangeku rasanai vechurukkAr Smile

No wonder his BGMS are the standard - I always say this. IR's BGm being better is not only a function of his musical talent, it is also his knowledge of cinema honed as an asst MD with giants like Puttanna to P Bhaskaran to Kariat to the tamil masters.

The very fact that BGM came to be recognised only during his period in tamil films(and barring a Salilda, in indian films too) and since then, all MDs are under pressure to deliver BGM too is testimony to his cinematic knowledge and range.

Rahman alwyas wanted to be a pop revolutionist and was initially not interested much in BGMS, this was very clear in his initial films. Later with experience he got better but one can see the underlying passion that iR provides viz a viz professional job done by Rahman.

Some Ppl have a mental block accepting that through sheer training and experience(before getting the first chance), IR owns this area.

Today,w hen we are trained to look for BGM, it is easy to say Rahman BGM matches IR but really, standalone
1) I doubt if ARR would have bothered about BGM if not for IR having set a huge standard there and the pressure to live up to it
2) Even now, if thereis a way to make music outside Cinema with popularity, whether he would even bother to score for films

I personally feel Rahman is more comfortable with macro-emotions like patriotism, world peace than nuanced cinema knowledge. Sad thing is commercial considerations will never allow him to make peace with himself thus relinquishing cinema music.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Plum,

I think you may be doing this to be political correct but Rahman can never compare to Raja in BGM. As I once told in the earlier forum, Rahman's BGM does not elevate but is more elevator music. Something pleasant playing in the background and nothing else. Even not so famous music directors give better BGM than Rahman. 'Talash' is a case in point.

I fully agree with you that Rahman has no clue about cinema whereas Raja is this matter is a master. No one understands cinema better than Raja.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:31 pm

Valee and IR's jAthi

இன்னொரு திருமணத்தில், மணப்பெண், பிராமணர் குடும்பத்தை சேர்ந்தவர். மணமகன் யார் என்றால், இளையராஜா மகன்யுவன் சங்கர்ராஜா. இளையராஜா என்ன ஜாதி என, எல்லாருக்கும் தெரியும். காதலுக்கு ஜாதி இல்லை என்பதை, என் குடும்பத்தில் நடந்த திருமணமே ஒரு எடுத்துக்காட்டு.இவ்வாறு வாலி ÷ பசினார்.

Rolling Eyes

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Raaga_Suresh wrote:Plum,

I think you may be doing this to be political correct but Rahman can never compare to Raja in BGM. As I once told in the earlier forum, Rahman's BGM does not elevate but is more elevator music. Something pleasant playing in the background and nothing else. Even not so famous music directors give better BGM than Rahman. 'Talash' is a case in point.

I fully agree with you that Rahman has no clue about cinema whereas Raja is this matter is a master. No one understands cinema better than Raja.

I think you are under-appreciating Rahman's skills here. Note, he got an oscar for bgm in Slumdog millionaire. His style is different - more linear melody oriented. IR's is a complex western classical style.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakalakala Vallavar Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:47 pm

http://cinema.nakkheeran.in/Talkies.aspx?T=2016

’கூப்பிட்ட குரலுக்கு ஓடுவேன்’ - கமல்ஹாசன்!

விஸ்வரூபம் படம் மாபெரும் வெற்றியடைந்துவிட்டது. கமல்ஹாசனுக்கு ஹாலிவுட் வாய்ப்பு கையிலிருக்கிறது. தமிழில் காமெடியை மையமாகக் கொண்ட ஒரு படத்தில் நடிக்கவும் ஏற்பாடுகளை செய்துவருகிறார் கமல். இத்தனை வேலைகளையும் விட்டுவிட்டு இளையராஜா அழைத்ததும் சென்று அவருக்காக ஒரு பாடல் பாடிக் கொடுத்துவிட்டு வந்திருக்கிறார் கமல்.

இளையராஜா ‘ஹேப்பி’ என்ற படத்திற்கு இசையமைக்கிறார். இந்த படத்தில் வரும் ஒரு பாடலுக்கு பல பாடகர்களை பாடவைத்த பின்பும் இளையராஜா திருப்தி அடையாததால், கமலை பாட்டு பாட அழைத்திருக்கிறார். இளையராஜா அழைத்ததும் கமல், தாமதம் செய்யாமல் உடனே சென்று பாடிக் கொடுத்துவிட்டு வந்தாராம்.

இவ்வளவு பெரிய ஹீரோவான நீங்கள் ஒரே ஒரு பாடல் பாடிக் கொடுப்பது ஏன் என்று கேட்ட போது கமல், “சிவாஜி ஐயா, கே.பாலச்சந்தர் சார், இளையராஜா போன்றோர் என்னிடம் ஏதாவது கேட்டால், அவர்களுக்காக ஓடோடிச்சென்று செய்து கொடுக்க நான் கடமைப்பட்டிருக்கிறேன்” என உணர்ச்சிப் பூர்வமாக கூறினாராம்.
Sakalakala Vallavar
Sakalakala Vallavar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next