Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo

+20
irir123
Manoj Raj
irfan123
ravinat
Raaga_Suresh
Drunkenmunk
plum
al_gates
endrum_raja
Usha
kiru
olichudar
jaiganesh
sagi
groucho070
rajkumarc
SenthilVinu
mythila
V_S
app_engine
24 posters

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 5 Empty Re: Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo

Post  app_engine Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:04 pm

BTW, I'm glad that I've covered almost all the nice songs they've mentioned in that discussion already Smile

I found two yet to be covered :

1. maNNil indhakkAdhal : The vinyl cover at musicalaya too says it's pAvalar, so it cannot be authenticated at this point of time...we should not go by heresay IMHO!

2. adhikAlai nEramE : musicalaya does not have the vinyl cover of the first directorial venture of Pratap Pothen (meeNdum oru kAdhal kadhai). I remember hosting this as 200th song in the IR-SPB thread . Let me look for some authentication on this Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 5 Empty Re: Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo

Post  app_engine Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:05 am

#48 oru kiLiyin thanimaiyilE siRu kiLiyin uRavu (poovizhi vAsalilE, KJY/KSC, thiraippAdal has two versions of the song...: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2802'&lang=en

One of my "bachelor-life-period" favourites Smile This song is non-stop on my headphones at the workplace today! What a lovely drum work for the pallavi! Both KJY & KSC at their sweetest! The song instantly transports me back to the rainy seasons of Palakkad...the tippu fort with its green lawn surrounding right in front of our bachelor lodge comes fresh in my mind as I hear the terrific rendering of "முத்து இரத்தினம் உனக்குச் சூட" by KSC!

I've missed the movie at the time of arrival, despite all my associates talking highly about it. (It goes without saying that the songs were frequently on my walkman, however). A couple of years back, I visited it on the net and felt it was just ok. (OTOH, "en bommukkutty ammAvukku" had many revisits and I simply love that movie). However, considering the praise showered on many unworthy products nowadays, I feel Fazil was extraordinary in getting movie aesthetics those days!

Well, coming to the lyricist topic, here is a song that nicely captures the film story and beautifully places words for the melody! GA can definitely do collar-lift for this exceptional song! The movie situation itself was kind of unique - man, child and then a woman! And all the emotions are nicely captured in the song, with not one taking superior position over another! It's kind of dreamy IMHO... (i.e. pAsam & anbu of two kinds..rather three kinds, between man and kid, between woman and kid and then between man and woman Laughing)

Look at the lines:

பல்லவி

ஒரு கிளியின் தனிமையிலே சிறு கிளியின் உறவு
உறவு உறவு உறவு உறவு

இரு கிளிகள் உறவினிலே புதுக்கிளி ஒன்று வரவு
வரவு வரவு வரவு வரவு

விழிகளிலே கனவு மிதந்து வர
உலகமெலாம் நினைவு பறந்து வர

தினம் தினம் உறவு உறவு புதிது புதிது வரவு வரவு
இனிது இனிது கனவு கனவு புதிய கனவு ஆஹா!

சரணம் 1

முத்து இரத்தினம் உனக்குச் சூட முத்திரைக் கவி இசைந்து பாட
நித்தம் நித்திரை கரைந்து ஓட சித்தம் நித்தமும் நினைந்து கூட
சிறு மழழை மொழிகளிலே இனிமை தவழ இதயம் மகிழ
இரு மலரின் விழிகளிகலே இரவும் மறைய பகலும் தெரிய
ஆசையால் உனை அள்ள வேண்டும்
அன்பினால் எனைக்கொள்ள வேண்டும்
சேரும் நாள் இதுதான்

சரணம் 2

கட்டளைப்படி கிடைத்த வேதம் தொட்டணைப்பதே எனக்குப்போதும்
மொட்டு மல்லிகை எடுத்துத்தூவும் முத்துப்புன்னகை எனக்குப்போதும்
ஒரு இறைவன் வரைந்த கதை புதிய கவிதை இனிய கவிதை
கதை முடிவும் தெரிவதில்லை இளைய மனது இழுத்த கவிதை
பாசம் என்றொரு ராகம் கேட்கும்
பார்வை அன்பெனும் நீரை வார்க்கும்
பாடும் நாள் இதுதான்

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmVrmOpLY_g

Last edited by app_engine on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Wow! what a song. Nice to know the lyricist name at-least now. Yes, beautiful lines. It is very difficult to write for a racy pallavi and for slower charanams, as the start and flow with which you write the pallavi somewhat hampers your thinking when you write for charanams. The thing is charanam lines have come extra-ordinarily well.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:30 pm

#49 dEvanin kOvil moodiya nEram nAnenna kEtpEn deivamE
(aRuvadai nAL, KSC / IR)

: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0311'&lang=en

I don't know how many times I would have played this on my walkman from that sony recorded cassette during the bachelor days - one can use all adjectives to describe this terrific number by IR! The melancholy simply churns / curdles one's heart!

Most of us have possibly read Suka's article in solvanam about this phenomenon (can't reduce this simply to a "film song", it needs better terms for description). Let me reproduce some portions of it for this post :

இதுபோல ‘வாடி என் கப்பக்கிழங்கே’ பாடலாசிரியராகவே அதிகமாக அடையாளம் காட்டப்பட்டுவரும் கங்கை அமரனின் மிக முக்கியமான பாடல்களில் ஒன்று ‘தேவனின் கோயில்’. கன்னியாஸ்திரியாக மாறுவதற்கான பயிற்சியில் உள்ள ஒரு பெண் காதல்வயப்படுகிறாள். காதலனுடன் இணைய முடியவில்லை. இதை பாடலின் முதல் வரியிலேயே எவ்வளவு எளிமையாகச் சொல்லிவிடுகிறார்! ‘தேவனின் கோயில் மூடிய நேரம், நான் என்ன கேட்பேன் தெய்வமே!’. காதலனுடன் இணைய முடியாத காதலியை, ‘பிரிந்தே வாழும் நதிக்கரை போல, தனித்தே வாழும் நாயகி’ என்கிறார், கங்கை அமரன். துக்கத்தின் விளிம்பில் நின்று அவள் தன்னைப் பற்றி ’ஒருவழிப்பாதை என் பயணம்’ என்று பாடியபடியே, ’இணைவது எல்லாம் பிரிவதற்காக, இதயங்கள் எல்லாம் மறப்பதற்காக, மறந்தால்தானே நிம்மதி’ விரக்தியின் உச்சத்தைச் சொல்கிறார்

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 5 2798411019Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 5 2798411019Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 5 2798411019

He nicely gets to the general perception about GA (‘வாடி என் கப்பக்கிழங்கே’ பாடலாசிரியராகவே அதிகமாக அடையாளம் காட்டப்பட்டுவரும்) and then hits a sweet cover drive off of that with this song! He goes on to add some nice references from his associates and let me quote one of them here :

ஒருநாள் திரைப்பட இயக்குனரும், நடிகருமான நண்பர் அழகம்பெருமாள் சொன்னார்.

‘வே, அத ஏன் கேக்கேரு? ராத்திரி சரக்கப் போட்டுட்டு ஒளுங்கா மரியாதயா செவனேன்னு கட்டய சாத்துறத விட்டுட்டு தேவனின் கோயில் பாட்டக் கேக்கலாமாய்யா? சவம் காலச் சுத்துன பாம்பா விடிய விடிய கொன்னு எடுத்துட்டுல்லா. படுக்கும் போது மணி என்னங்கேரு? காலைல எட்டர. ஒரு சினிமாப் பாட்டு இப்பிடியாவே மனச அறுக்கும். ச்ச்சை’.

I happened to see this blog that re-posts the solvanam article:

http://venuvanamsuka.blogspot.com/2012/12/blog-post.html

One of the comments from this blog got me romAnjam :

Sankar wrote:
சமீபத்தில் எனது எட்டு வயது மகன், தமிழ் என்றால் என்னவென்றே தெரியாத அவனது நண்பர்களிடம் சொல்லிக்கொண்டிருந்தது தான் உச்சம்... மொஸார்ட்.. விவால்டி..பீத்தோவன் மாதிரி எங்கள் மொழியிலும் இளையராஜா என்று ஒரு கம்போசர் இருக்கிறார், என்று.

Another blogger refers Suka's post in a different context:

http://www.sasariri.com/2012/11/blog-post_18.html

லேட்டஸ்ட் சொல்வனம் இதழில் சுகா எழுதிய தேவனின் கோயில் பதிவைப் படித்த பின்னர்தான் இந்தப் பாடலுக்கு கச்சேரியைத் துவங்குவதற்கு எத்தனை பெரிய தகுதி இருக்கிறது எனப் புரிகிறது. சில விஷயங்களில் உங்களுக்குள் ரசனையை விதைக்கவும் யாரேனும் தேவைப்படுகிறார்கள். இரண்டு நாட்களாக இந்தப் பாடலுடனேயே உழன்று கொண்டிருக்கிறேன்.

என்ன எழுதினாலும் எத்தனை எழுதினாலும் சுகா கடந்த இருபது வருடங்களுக்கும் மேலாக தேக்கி வைத்த ரசனையைக் கொண்டு எழுதியதைப் போல் என்னால் எழுதிவிட முடியாது. எனவே அவர் வரிகளிலேயே இந்தப் பாடலைப் பற்றி படித்து விடுங்கள்.

Finally, this song also got featured in another article in solvanam - this time by Vicky on bass guitar : http://solvanam.com/?p=23134

என்னுள் நீங்காத பாதிப்பை ஏற்படுத்திய பாடல் “தேவனின் கோயில்”. அப்பாடல் பி.எஸ்.ஜி கலைக்கல்லூரியினரால் மேடையில் பாடப்பட்டது.
கேட்ட மாத்திரத்தில் புல்லரித்தது இன்றும் நன்றாக நினைவிருக்கிறது. இந்திய ஸ்லோகம் போன்ற வரிகளை, மேற்கத்திய செவ்வியல் ஸ்டைலில் அமைத்துப் பாடிய அந்த இசைக்கோர்வை மனதையும், உடலையும் என்னவோ செய்தது. அத்துவக்கத்தைத் தவிரவும், அப்பாடல் இயல்பிலே மிகவும் வித்தியாசமாக இருந்தது. ஏனென்றால் பொதுவாக சந்தோஷப்பாடல்களுக்குப் பயன்படுத்தப்படும் ஸ்கேலிலும், தாளத்திலும் அப்பாடல் அமைக்கப்பட்டிருந்தாலும் பாடலின் மெலடி, வரிகள், இசைக்கோர்வை எல்லாம் சேர்ந்து ஏனோ ஆழ்ந்த சோகத்தைக் கொடுத்தது.
அத்தருணத்தில் பாடகர், “தந்தன தந்தன தந்தனா…” என்று பாட ஆரம்பித்தார். இப்போது நான் மேடையின் முன்னே ஆடியன்ஸ் தரப்பில் நின்று கொண்டிருந்தேன். பாட்டின் அந்த பகுதியில் நிலைத்துக் கேட்கும் இரண்டு ட்ராக்குகள் பாடகரின் குரலும் பாஸ் கிடாரும் மட்டுமே. அந்த “தந்தனா…” வரிசையாக இடைவெளியில் வைக்கப்பட்டிருந்த தூண் போன்ற ஸ்பீக்கர்கள் மூலம் பரவி, எக்கோ நிரம்பிய 12000 வாட் ஒலியலைகளாகக் காற்றில் கரைந்தது. ஹம்மிங் முடியவும் தொடங்கிய புல்லாங்குழலை பாஸ் கிடாரின் ஆதார சுருதி ஒம்காரமாய் அடக்கி இன்டர்லூடை முடித்தது. மீண்டும் புல்லரித்தது…

அந்த தருணத்தில் நான் எடுத்த முடிவு: “என்னைக்காவது இந்த பாட்டை மெலடி, பாஸ் இரண்டையும் சேத்து ஒண்ணா வாசிக்கனும்டா…”

அந்தக் கனவுதான் சமீபத்தில் நிறைவேறியது.

Let me post the pAdal varikaL & youtube link in another post for this special number Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:08 pm

One commenter to another blog post on dEvanin kOvil says:

அற்புதமான பாடல் வரிகள் ! லிரிக்ஸ் கங்கை அமரனாம் ! நம்பவே முடியவில்லை! மிக அழகிய லிரிக்ஸ்!

Well, such skeptics should hereafter visit our GA thread Smile We have simply too many samples for this talented pAdal Asiriyar Smile

பல்லவி

தேவனின் கோவில் மூடிய நேரம்
நான் என்ன கேட்பேன் தெய்வமே
இன்று என் ஜீவன் தேயுதே
என் மனம் ஏனோ சாயுதே

சரணம் 1:

நானொரு சோக சுமைதாங்கி
துன்பம் தாங்கும் இடிதாங்கி
பிரிந்தே வாழும் நதிக்கரை போல
தனித்தே வாழும் நாயகி
இணைவது எல்லாம் பிரிவதற்காக
இதயங்கள் எல்லாம் மறப்பதற்காக
மறந்தால்தானே நிம்மதி

சரணம் 2:

ஒருவழிப்பாதை என் பயணம்
மனதினில் ஏனோ பல சலனம்
கேட்டால் தருவேன் என்றவன் நீயே
கேட்டேன் ஒன்று தந்தாயா
ஆறுதல் தேடி அலையுது நெஞ்சம்
அழுதிடக்கண்ணில் நீருக்குப்பஞ்சம்
நானோர் கண்ணீர் காதலி

youtube:

Looks like this is merely a title song Sad

(Or is the song not on screen at all and somebody edited for youtube's sake?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mReUJ80KifA

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:28 am

what a coinage " kanneer kaadhali" try putting in english - nothing comes even a mile close to the poetry and elegance..
"Tear's lover" (doesnt convey gender - which is very important)
"woman who loves tears"- nah..
the trick is "Aagu peyar" in thamizh - "kanneere uruvaana kaadhali" like magic becomes "Kanneerkkaadhali" - idhukku dhaan solrOm
thamizh oru semmozhinnu. and film lyricists have exploited aagupeyar to the tilt - i must say..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:39 am

Prodigious series of posts and information the clap Song of the century! Through this song GA sir has gone really really high. noteworthy But paattukkum visual'kum suththamaa sambandhamE illayE. thinking I even saw another youtube link for the same song posted by Alex who is a hard-core IR fan. So there is no ambiguity whether this is the title song. Director'kku eppadi thaan manasu vanthuthO, ippadi waste pandrathukku.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv4Yr7m6V5s

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:11 pm

Nice post jaiganesh, on the "Agu peyar" Smile

nanRi V_Sji, for the appreciation!

BTW, I'll post song # 50 later today, a mini landmark - most songs picked so far are not from the "perceived-GA-stronghold" area but the "perceived-sophisticated" variety Smile

The 50th is some kind of crossover between these two families, IMO (much like some from kallukkuL eeram). After this sheNbagam, I'll relax the "sophi" criteria a bit but continue to post about big hit numbers that are not offensive to normal sensitivites (means, will continue to avoid the 'yEh AththA' 'ponmEni urugudhE' kinds)...

I already have list of such GA songs that will let this thread cross a century, easily!

And, people still think GA is a lesser lyricist?

pOngayyA!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:48 am

#50 sheNbagamE sheNbagamE thenpodhigai sandhanamE
(enga ooru pAttukkAran, three versions - Sunanada / Mano & Asha Bhosle)

The brief prelude that comes after Ashaji's initial humming never fails to raise goosebumps!

What a song! One of rAsA's career best IMHO!

Another song heard 1000's of times and still feeling fresh, can never have enough...any time I start playing in the car, hand automatically reaches out for repeat button and that status remains for days Embarassed I'm not ashamed to be called an addict in the case of such rAsA songs - போதை ஏற்றாமலேயே வசப்படுத்துவதில் ராசாவுக்கு இணை இது வரை இல்லை.

Lack of time forces me to cut short the praises Smile (Some may think 'nalla vELai, this fellow gets repetitive / boring' Laughing)

GA did both lyric making and direction of 'enga ooru pAttukkAran' - I think the movie was successful, getting Ramarajan the 'pasu nEsan' title and also made him a mainstay in TF in the later part of 80's. Regardless, the album was immensely successful - wherever you travel those days in TN, one cannot escape listening to one song or other from this album. Even 'azhagi nee pErazhagi' and 'jinjenakku jenakku' were heard everywhere!

As some observed in early tfmpage, it was around this time the "sound" of rAsA songs got changed. tablA was significantly different from the 'mudhal mariyAdhai' style. Perhaps synth bass (and more otherwise synth) started getting used. Sound mixing technolgy might have changed. Whatever it was, the listening experience changed totally from this point of time. It became more "headphone friendly" for sure and I thoroughly enjoyed my walkman with the new albums of IR. OTOH, there was this 'ennamO kuRaiyudhu' feeling when listening on buses and thru other PA systems...

I had written in the hub about the 'eLLuppoo' nAsi metaphor which was peculiar (a GA kaNdu pidippu, much like the Elappoo nAsi of aRaichcha sandhanam, another GA kaNdupidippu in later years). This song is both sophi and grAmam. Both joyful and melancholic. Both brilliant and simple...

Getting late...will post pAdal varikaL and the links tomorrow Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Prior to this GA thread exercise, I've seen only a "duet" version of the song on youtube (i.e. a mix of Sunanda and Mano versions).
I've found out that there's this Mano solo version (sheNbagam is the name of the cowGangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 5 3325497835 and pasu nEsan is singing to milk it).
While Nishanthi appears on the duet, the solo Ashaji version is assigned to azhu moonji Rekha (appropriately) on screen. Well, I shouldn't ridicule Rekha anymore after that nice Vijay TV interview Embarassed
OK, here are the youtubes of all three (possibly in the order they appear in enga ooru mAttukkAran)

Mano solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmEmkSOGwHA

The duet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxjtTAy4wtQ

sOgam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQJw0Sy63Yg

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:40 pm

App ji,
Superb post on ShenbagamE ShengagamE. the clap the clap the clap You made my day! Selected apt song for this milestone of #50. Could not believe you hosted 50 songs already, very fast. Nicely described, especially these lines; 'போதை ஏற்றாமலேயே வசப்படுத்துவதில் ராசாவுக்கு இணை இது வரை இல்லை' thumbsup Even though all three versions are based on same tune, we can never say they are same songs. The way he altered the mood for all three versions and the way GA written lyrics for all these versions, is something which only they can only break, no one else. Mano sang beautifully in solo version, with visual added, the song only got purer. When Ramarajan hugs the calf, definitely makes me more home sick. kaNNellaam jalam. Same way as you observed Asha ji's humming and the flute/guitar following her is absorbing. Similarly, the humming during interlude with guitar, oh heavenly!

In the duet, again I love the visuals equally. When Ramarajan walks the doves fly away, very natural shot. The whole song was brilliantly captured by not so famous cinematographer DayaLan. the clap Very natural conveying the mood easily.

Speaking about the lyrics by GA, I am bowled by the thogaiyara itself and how the last word leads as the first word of pallavi. noteworthy Bright flute which starts the duet. Wow!
pattu pattu poochi pOla ethanaiyO vaNNam minnum
nattu vachchu naan parikkaa naan vaLartha nandhavanam
katti vaikkum en manasa vaasam varum malligaiyum
thottu thottu naan parikka thudikkidhandha sheNbagam

Listening and watching all three song continuously! SugamO sugam!

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:14 pm

nanRi V_Sji, for the kind words!

V_S wrote: The way he altered the mood for all three versions and the way GA written lyrics for all these versions, is something which only they can break, no one else.

The lyrics are overdue, let me post them now Smile

தொகையறா (மனோ பாடுவது, மாட்டுக்காக)

பட்டுப் பட்டு பூச்சி போல
எத்தனையோ வண்ணம் மின்னும்
நட்டு வச்சு நான் பறிக்க
நான் வளத்த நந்தவனம்
கட்டி வைக்கும் என் மனச
வாசம் வரும் மல்லிகையும்
தொட்டுத் தொட்டு நான் கறக்க
துடிக்குதந்த செண்பகமும்

(சுனந்தாவும் பால் கறக்கும் போது தான் பாடுகிறார், ஆனால் பூவை நினைத்து Smile )

பட்டுப் பட்டு பூச்சி போல
எத்தனையோ வண்ணம் மின்னும்
நட்டு வச்சு நான் பறிக்க
நான் வளத்த நந்தவனம்
கட்டி வைக்கும் என் மனச
வாசம் வரும் மல்லிகையும்
தொட்டுத் தொட்டு நான் பறிக்க
துடிக்குதந்த செண்பகமும்

This is quite interesting, one word makes a world of difference Laughing And, unless one sees the context (or the youtube), cannot understand why a man would like to "milk" a flower Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 5 3325497835

BTW, one thing that always intrigued me is the use of "பட்டுப்பூச்சி" in the folk language for butterflies. May be to describe the fragile, soft nature of the insect but my student mind kept crying "incorrect, incorrect, that's not silk insect, they should only call it வண்ணத்துப்பூச்சி" during my school days.

We had a small "silk culture" farm in our village (only for a short while before the mulberry farm yielded space for a spinning mill) and I knew that silk is made from the cocoon stage of the "fly" that unfortunately never gets to fly. (Gandhiji reportedly refused to accept a silk-threaded garland because it was made by killing those hundreds of silkworms that could have turned into free-flying moths.)

That way, all those beautiful "pattuppoochchees" that we see around have no connection to the silk sarees Embarassed

Well, may be the term for butterfiles came about comparing how colorful these insects look, like the colorful women in silk sarees Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:58 pm

BTW, there's no "thogaiyaRA" for the Ashaji version. IR chose to have a lovely humming to replace it (not easy to sing by bathroom singers Embarassed ), possibly for the sake of that mild tinge of melancholy. Not overly emotional or dramatic but a very soft sadness, even sounding "pleasant" (sugamAna sOgam, i.e. to the listeners of the song).

The next section seems to be common to all the three versions...wait a minute, there's a very small but "may-be-intentional" difference between the female versions and the male version of the pallavi :

பல்லவி (ஆண்)

செண்பகமே செண்பகமே
தென்பொதிகை சந்தனமே
தேடி வரும் என் மனமே
சேர்ந்திருந்தால் சம்மதமே

That particular word is pronounced "எம்" in both the female versions Smile

Could it be to indicate that the man will have more than one girl in the story and hence IR-GA combo wanted to have the female version use a plural word? (Well, the 'mariyAdhaippanmai' is quite common in all our languages, especially Thamizh, so it won't be odd even otherwise. Just a small speculation Smile )

BTW, sheNbagam is a flower with such a strong fragrance and there's no wonder the poet chose to associate it with sandhanam in the second line. As most of us know, smell can bring nostalgia (and take our memories to places etc), these first two lines are quite lovely to be placed in a love song - quite some romance there Smile

It's quite interesting to also note that there are many references to this flower during my student days :

-1980 movie " geethA oru sheNbagappoo"

-Sujatha novel (later made into movie with IR music) "karaiyellAm sheNbagappoo"

-Even a brief reference by Kalki becomes blogging material here Smile

Those who are interested in flowers / botony / maruththuvam etc may be interested in checking the following links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnolia_champaca
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelia
http://pettagum.blogspot.com/2011/09/blog-post_23.html

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 5 Senbagapoo

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 5 Magnolia1

Michelia champaca L. Champak. Native to India, Java, and the Philippines. A tree or shrub which grows from 3 to 6 meters high and wide. Glossy bright green leaves to 16 cm. Produces fragrant orange, yellow, or creamy white flowers in the spring. The flowers of this plant produce an essential oil that is used in perfume.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:59 pm

The first saraNam is ditto in the Mano & Sunanda versions :

சரணம் 1

உன் பாதம் போகும் பாதை நானும் போக வந்தேனே
உன் மேலே ஆசைப்பட்டு பாத்துக்காத்து நின்னேனே
உன் முகம் பார்த்து நிம்மதி ஆச்சு
என் மனம் தானாப்பாடிடலாச்சு
என்னோட பாட்டுச்சத்தம் தேடும் உன்னைப்பின்னாலே
எப்போதும் உன்னைத்தொட்டு பாடப்போறேன் தன்னாலே

The first line of the saraNam has such an universal melodic appeal! I remember often posting about my earlier teammate from Assam who used to frequently sing that line (i.e. at the workplace, every now and then) and slAgiththufy that part!

Even from a poem viewpoint, that first line two lines are so lovely! Of course, that is not a new thought in this song - it had been there from unknown times. Even in TFM, we fondly remember PBS singing that "நீ போகுமிடமெல்லாம் நானும் வருவேன் போ போ போ" which is somewhat short-term in nature compared to this "போகும் பாதை" Smile

Those two first lines are so nice that the IR-GA combo chose to retain for the pathos version too. Ashji's version has the same first three lines. There's a minor change in the fourth line, from "தானாப்பாடிடலாச்சு" to "ஏனோ or ஏதோ பாடிடலாச்சு" (Asha sings it quite unclear). The fifth line is same but the last line is significantly different, showing the longing and sOgam of the girl :

எப்போ நீ என்னைத்தொட்டு பேசப்போறே முன்னாலே (from the video it looks like Rekha is the wife singing and Ramarajan possibly got forced into that marriage, still remembering his old love and unwilling to consummate the new union).

Simple but nice writing by GA!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:53 pm

The second stanza is same in the Mano & Sunanda versions but it got totally changed for the Ashaji version (situational).

Let's look at the lines (well, this is where we get that "eLLuppoo" nAsi Laughing ):

சரணம் 2 (மனோ)

மூணாம்பிறையைப் போலக்காணும் நெற்றிப் பொட்டோட
நானும் கலந்திருக்க வேணும் இந்தப் பாட்டோட
கருத்தது மேகம் தலைமுடி தானோ
இழுத்தது என்ன பூவிழி தானோ
எள்ளுப்பூ நாசி பத்திப் பேசிப்பேசித்தீராது
உன் பாட்டுக்காரன் பாட்டு உன்னை விட்டுப் போகாது

Mano himself sings the last line in the Sunantha version ; accordingly, they retained "உன் பாட்டுக்காரன்" without change Smile Well, that makes it a duet version (and not a solo Sunanda version).

பூ வைச்சுப் பொட்டும் வைச்சு மேளம் கொட்டிக் கல்யாணம்
பூ மஞ்சம் போட்டுக் கூட எங்கே அந்த சந்தோசம்?
உன் அடி தேடி நான் வருவேனே
உன் மடி பார்த்து நான் இருப்பேனே
ராஜாவே உன்னைத்தொட்டு நானும் வாழ மாட்டேனா?
என் வீட்டுக்காரர் பாட்டும் காதில் கேட்க மாட்டேனா?

It clearly shows a wife who is longing for the love of the veettukkArar (hubby).

Traditional "story-telling" style song, deployed in TF those days Wink

thiraippadal link for all the three : http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0838','SNGIRR0839','SNGIRR0840'&lang=en

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:36 pm

app... Shenbagapoo... oru padam solla maranthuteenglae.... 16 vayadhinilae.. kamal tharuvar sridevi ku.. chembagapoo nu solli... adhu idhu dhan. apo irundhu indha poovai thedinu irundhen.....................

enga Hosur la romba nalla kedaikum indha poo.....24 years aga indha poovudan en vaazhkai........ divine smell idhu............

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:47 pm

nanRi UshakkA, for the thagaval & comment!

sheNbagappoo is definitely a great addition to the many flowers that GA used in rAsA songs Smile

I think GA got so much thrilled with the popularity of this song and went on to direct a movie with the title 'sheNbagamE sheNbagamE' Laughing I don't know much about how that movie fared in the market, but fondly remember the song 'vAsalilE poosaNippoo vachchupputtA vachchupputtA' Smile (Another flower there).

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:05 pm

Well, we have compiled a lovely list of 50 hit songs penned by GA under rAsA music.

I want to reiterate that I've mostly avoided the folk / themmAngu kind of janaranjaga numbers that GA is regularly associated with, for this first 50. (e.g. Asaya kAththula thoodhu vittu / adiyE manam nillunnA nikkAdhadi / chinna maNikkuyilE). Such numbers will get included hereafter and this exercise will go on for a few more weeks...

Just to impress upon the magnificence of this first fifty (compared to how insignificantly the lyricist had been treated by media, web and even IRFs), let me publish the list in this post :

1. puththam puthukkAlai (alaigaL Oyvathillai, SJ)
2. siRu ponmaNi asaiyum (kallukkuL eeram, IR/SJ)
3. kothumallippoovE (kallukkuL eeram, MV/SJ)
4. thOppiloru nAdakam nadakkudhu (kallukkuL eeram, MV/SPS)
5. eNNaththil EdhO (kallukkuL eeram, SJ)
6. paruva kAlangaLin kanavu (moodupani, MV/SJ)
7. en iniya pon nilAvE (moodupani, KJY)
8. vaigaRaiyil (payaNangaL mudivadhillai, SPB)
9. vizhiyOraththukkanavum (rAjapArvai, BSS)
10. poongathavE thAzh thiRavAy (nizhalgaL, DC/UR)
11. sendhoorappoovE (16 vayadhinilE, SJ)
12. uRavukaL thodarkadhai (avaL appadiththAn, KJY)
13. panneer pushpangaLE (avaL appadiththAn, KH)
14. EdhO ninaivukaL kanavukaL (agal viLakku, KJY/SPS)
15. oru rAgam pAdalOdu (Anandha rAgam, KJY/SJ)
16. kanavil midhakkum (eeravizhikkAviyangaL, KJY)
17. metti oli kAtROdu (metti, IR/SJ)
18. sandhakkavikaL (metti, Brahmanandhan)
19. kAtRil endhan geetham (Johny, SJ)
20. oru iniya manadhu (Johny, Jency)
21. uRavenum puthiya vAnil (nenjaththaikkiLLAthE, SPB/SJ)
22. E thenRalE (nenjaththaikkiLLAthE, PS)
23. ennuLLil EdhO Engum geetham (rOsAppoo ravikkaikkAri, VJ)
24. Anandha rAgam kEtkum kAlam (panneer pushpangaL, UR)
25. poonthaLirAda (panneer pushpangaL, SPB/SJ)
26. kOdai kAlakkAtRE (panneer pushpangaL, MV)
27. thamthana namthana thALam varum (pudhiya vArppukaL, Jency/Vasantha)
28. andhi varum nEram vandhadhoru rAgam (mundhAnai mudichchu, SPB/SJ)
29. manjaL veyil mAlaiyitta poovE (naNdu, UR)
30. seer koNdu vA veN mEgamE (nAn pAdum pAdal, SPB/SJ)
31. inRaikku Enindha AnandhamE (vaidhEhi kAthirundhAL, JC/VJ)
32. vAn meedhilE (rAgangaL mARuvadhillai, SJ)
33. malarkaLilE ArAdhanai (karumbu vil, MV/SJ)
34. nee illAtha pOthu (iLamaikkOlam, MV/Sujatha)
35. vAdAtha rOsAppoo (grAmaththu aththiyAyam, SPB)
36. poovE idhu poojaikkAlamE (grAmaththu aththiyAyam, BSS)
37. kAlai nErappoonguyil (amman kOvil kizhakkAlE, SPB / SJ)
38. un pArvaiyil OrAyiram (amman kOvil kizhakkAlE, KJY/KSC)
39. poomAlaiyE thOL sEra vA (pagal nilavu, IR/SJ)
40. ennuyirE vA (poonthOttakkAvalkAran, SPB/SJ)
41. poongARRE (kungumachchimizh, SJ)
42. indha mAn (karagAttakkAran, IR/KSC)
43. adhO andha nadhiyOram (Ezhai jAthi, SJ)
44. O nenjamE idhu un rAgamE (enakkAgakkAththiru, DC/SJ)
45. panimazhai vizhum (enakkAgakkAththiru, DC/SPS)
46. yAr thoorigai thandha Oviyam (pAru pAru pattaNam pAru, SPB/UR)
47. rAdhA azhaikkiRAL (theRkaththikkaLLan, SJ)
48. oru kiLiyin thanimaiyilE (poovizhi vAsalilE, KJY/KSC)
49. dEvanin kOvil moodiya nEram (aRuvadai nAL, KSC/IR)
50. sheNbagamE sheNbagamE (enga ooru pAttukkAran, AB/Mano/Sunandha)

Most of these are evergreen, some considered cult classics & enjoyed huge amount of popularity among IRFs and others alike.

Except a few, most were not well-known to be written by GA. (In most cases, the lyricist was not known to even HCIRFs ; many are wrongly credited to others on the web - some even by reputed sites!)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Personally, I have never associated the following biggies with GA at any point of time (despite listening to rAsA music from his first album and discussing TFM for more than a decade on the web) :

புத்தம் புதுக்காலை

என் இனிய பொன் நிலாவே

காற்றில் எந்தன் கீதம் காணாத ஒன்றைத்தேடுதே

ஒரு இனிய மனது இசையை அணைத்துச்செல்லும்

உறவெனும் புதிய வானில் பறந்ததே இதயமோகம்

உறவுகள் தொடர்கதை

ஆனந்தராகம் கேட்கும் காலம்

பூந்தளிராட பொன்மலர் சூட

ஒரு ராகம் பாடலோடு காதில் கேட்குதோ

தம்தன நம்தன தாளம் வரும்

என்னுள்ளில் எங்கோ ஏங்கும் கீதம்

அந்திவரும் நேரம் வந்ததொரு ராகம்

உன் பார்வையில் ஓராயிரம்

காலை நேரப்பூங்குயில்

அதோ அந்த நதியோரம்

ராதா அழைக்கிறாள்

ஒரு கிளியின் தனிமையிலே

ஒ நெஞ்சமே இது உன் ராகமே

ஏதோ நினைவுகள் கனவுகள் மனதிலே மலருதே

பூமாலையே தோள் சேர வா

Without even thinking a second, I automatically assigned either Kannadasan or Vairamuthu to most of these numbers, depending upon whether it was pre-81 or 1981-86 Embarassed The rest got assigned to Vaali Embarassed

Great that we're getting clarity now - with all gains going to GA, rAsA's brother Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:58 pm

#51 Raman ANdAlum Ravanan ANdAlum enakkoru kavalai illai

(muLLum malarum, SPB / L R Anjali)

Though GA entered the field with a sophisticated song (en mannan engE en mannan engE nee konjam sollAyO...sendhoorappoovE) and had been consistently providing such numbers thru out his lyricist career, as Suka correctly observed in that solvanam article, he had been generally regarded as just a themmAngu kavingar.

Well, Olichudar posted in this thread that he is known as 'pookkavingar' within the filmy circles thanks to his innumerable references to all kinds of flowers Smile However, that does not seem to be the public perception. I don't remember any of us discussing those days about GA as a worthwhile kavingar..i.e. beyond sendhoorappoovE which got dismissed as an "unusual, one-time thingy".

So, the question is why do the general public -especially those who love TFM and listen to it all the time and discuss about it incessantly (like in tfmpage / hub and elsewhere) - brand him as a dappAnguththu kavingar? Why do they choose to not attach his name to sophi songs but disregard his contribution there?

Obviously there are many reasons - media being just one of them. Looking in retro mode, I feel one main reason is the immense popularity of his folk / themmAngu / dappAnguththu numbers across all sections of people, making them ask "who wrote this song".

That kind of branding also ties in with the tag many chose to give to rAsA himself during initial days (dappAnguththu music director), because of the huge popularity / novelty / noticeability of such songs! Or to BR as grAmappada director. (Though many early hits of rAsA in this genre got officially credited to Panju sir, there was widespread talk even those days that parts of such folk songs got "imported" from Pannaippuram).

Well, the other main reason could be that GA was taking care of themmAngu section alone in some hugely popular / successful movies (in which sophi songs were by some other lyricist).

'muLLum malarum' is a good example. All the four songs on the disk were extremely popular and there had been a lot of praise (deservingly) to Kaviyarasar for 'senthAzham poovil'. I remember hearing some slAgippus in IOKS those days. Panju sir wrote 'adi peNNE ponnoonjal Adum iLamai'. OTOH, GA penned the remaining two.

Though I assumed those days that 'rAman ANdalum' too could have been by kavingar, now I know GA wrote it, along with the meen kozhambu song. Perhaps many others knew that those days and it was easy to brand GA as nAttuppuRaththAn penning nAttuppuRa kuththu songs.

Another example that comes to mind is 'pOkkiri rAjA' where KD wrote 'vidiya vidiya solliththaruvEn' and GA penned 'pOkkirikkup pOkkiri rAjA', under MSV music. When payaNangaL mudivadhillai songs got immensely popular, with VM flying high as the one who did the phenomenal iLaya nilA but GA getting infamous / beaten up for inviting AththA to river, all of us (well, me to be specific) didn't even try to find out who wrote vaigaraiyil. Automatic assumption that it was VM (or anyone else but GA) Shocked

Well, I'm going round and round in circles.

Let me stop.

And say 'Raman ANdAlum' has great lines Smile

thiraippAdal link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2097'&lang=en

youtube:

pAdal varikaL:

குழுப்பாட்டு:

அம்மனைக் கும்பிட்டா நமக்கெல்லாம் நல்லதே நடக்குதே
கெட்டது அம்மனும் கொடுக்காதே

பல்லவி:

ராமன் ஆண்டாலும் .. ராவணன் ஆண்டாலும்
எனக்கொரு கவலையில்லே
நான்தான்டா என் மனசுக்கு ராஜா
வாங்குங்கடா வெள்ளியில் கூஜா!
நீ கேட்டா கேட்டத கொடுப்பேன் கேக்குற வரத்தைக் கேட்டுக்கடா

சரணம் 1

யானையைக் கொண்டாங்க குதுரைய கொண்டாங்க நானும் ஊர்கோலம் போக
வாழை தென்னை மாவிலை எல்லாம் தொங்கணும் தோரணமாக
ஏண்டா டேய் ராணியக் கூப்பிடு அவளோட சேடியும் கூப்பிடு
ஏய் மதுரை ராஜ்ஜியம் என்னுது ஒனக்கொரு பாதியை கொடுக்கிறேன்டா!

குழுப்பாட்டு:

சந்தனம் பூசுங்க சாமிய நேரில பாருங்க
என்ன வேணும் அத கேளுங்க

சரணம் 2
பொன்னாப் பூப்பூத்து வைரம் காயாகக் காய்க்கும் என்னோட தோட்டம்
மாசம் மூணு போகம் விளையும் லாபம் மேலும் கூடும்
கையிருக்கு உழைச்சிக் காட்டுறேன் மனசிருக்கு பொழைச்சி பாக்குறேன்
ஏய் போனா போகுது வேலை உனக்கொரு வேலையக் கொடுக்கிறண்டா!

குழுப்பாட்டு:

பொன்னொரு பல்லக்கு முல்லப்பூ மாலையும் சாமிக்கு
போட்டுட்டு சொல்லிச்சொல்லிப் பாடுங்க

சரணம் 3:

ஊரும் கொண்டாட உலகம் கொண்டாட ஊர்கோலம் போகும் சாமி
நாடும் வீடும் நல்லா வாழ நீதானே வழி காமி
சாதி சனம் ஒண்ணாகச் சேர்ந்தது சாமியத்தான் எல்லாரும் கேக்குது
நீ கேட்டா கேட்டத கொடுக்கற சாமியைப் பார்த்து கேளுங்கடா

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Udhaya hosted 'rAman ANdAlum' on dhool SOTD as a themmAngu sometime back:

http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4771

His comments are quite interesting :

With just the initial pipe sounds, IR registers an otherworldly intrigue that builds gradually, adding more flavor with the tribal chorus, until the pallavi brings the mountain tribe dance mystique down to our village streets. The immense energy, the breakneck tune shifts, the plethora of instruments used all scream early Ilayaraja as the composition hits us like an aural jacuzzi drenching and soothing us with a dance that the familiar and the exotic take turns leading. Gangai Amaran does his own dance of duality with the lyrics between the exultation of personal freedom and the hopeful solace of faith. SPB arrives in a party mood and gives one of his best Rajini pronunciations with "ozhachi". malaichchaaral kalandha mayakkath themmAngu ithO.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:56 pm

#52 niththam niththam nelluchchORu ney maNakkum kaththirikkA

(muLLum malarum, VJ)

I would strongly recommend reading this Saravanan write-up of the song (as well as background information related to muLLum malarum) prior to reading anything further :
http://tfmpage.com/forum/20567.6859.02.29.28.html
The most touching part in that narrative is the writer's nostalgia ; let me quote it here :
Saravanan wrote:
Digression:

While at an audit in Madurai some years back, the client took us to Thekkadi in the weekend. (The few luxuries of CA Articleship!)- the way was filled with picturesque beauty- the sunflower fields, grape orchards- Towns/ Villages like Veerapandi, Uthamapalayam, Theni, Cumbum, Bodi and Kumuli remain fleeting images in memory- but in between I glimpsed a signpost bearing the legend ‘Chinnamanoor’- I called the driver to stop the car, and stepped out- I saw a small roadside brook- I glanced with pleasure to see if I could spot any fish- much to the bewilderment of my friends who were looking askance at me—I didn’t bother to explain- they wouldn’t have understood anyway—We got inside again and the car sped on its way to Thekkadi- but my day was already made!

-Digression ends-

That he so happily reminisced the line "சின்னமனூரு வாய்க்கா சேலுக்கெண்ட மீனு" gave me goosebumps while reading his article! What a lovely, rustic writing by GA - the song is a classic in its own way! Let me first post the lyrics here prior to some links and some typical blA-blA...

பல்லவி :

நித்தம் நித்தம் நெல்லுச்சோறு
நெய் மணக்கும் கத்திரிக்கா
நேத்து வெச்ச மீன் கொழம்பு என்ன இழுக்குதையா
நெஞ்சுக்குள்ள அந்த நெனப்பு வந்து மயக்குதையா

சரணம் 1:

பச்சரிசிச்சோறு உப்புக்கருவாடு
சின்னமனூரு வாய்க்கா சேலுக்கெண்ட மீனு
குருத்தான மொளக்கீர வாடாத சிறுகீர
நெனைக்கையிலே எனக்கு இப்போ எச்சி ஊருது
அள்ளித்தின்ன ஆச வந்து என்ன மீறுது

சரணம் 2:

பாவக்காக்கூட்டு பருப்போட சேத்து
பக்குவத்தப்பாத்து ஆக்கி முடிச்சாச்சு
சிறுகாளான் வருத்தாச்சு பதம் பாத்து எடுத்தாச்சு
கேழ்வரகுக்கூழுக்கது ரொம்பப்பொருத்தமையா
தெனங்குடிச்சா ஒடம்பு இது ரொம்பப்பெருக்குமையா

சரணம் 3:

பழையதுக்குத் தோதா புளிச்சிருக்கும் மோரு
பொட்டுக்கள்ள தேங்கா போட்டறச்ச தொவயலு
சாம்பாரு வெங்காயம் சலிக்காது தின்னாலும்
அதுக்கு எண ஒலகத்துல இல்லவே இல்ல
அள்ளித்தின்னு எனக்கு இன்னும் அலுக்கவே இல்ல

கடைசியில் மாறிய பல்லவி:

இத்தனைக்கும் மேலிருக்கு நெஞ்சுக்குள்ள ஆச ஒன்னு
சூசகமா சொல்லப்போறேன் பொம்பள தாங்க
சூடாக இருக்குறப்போ சாப்புட வாங்க

The thiraippAdal link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2096'&lang=en

youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JQgkQIeUzM

The twist in the end of the song (not repeating the pallavi but adding a different kind of invitation) is quite interesting, as that is some kind of a "cultural indicator" (of that time period) where wife had to employ some 'soosagam' (implicit) and had to be discreet Laughing

Anyways, unlike Saravanan and other tfmpage folks, the general networld seems to be oblivious to the fact that GA wrote this song. That's quite sad. For example, one blog that has a running series of articles (some 20+) starting with this one with the title "நித்தம் நித்தம் நெல்லுச்சோறு", happily credits it to Kannadasan. Not simply crediting, it goes on to describe extensively :

சரி, பாடலின் வெற்றியைப் பார்த்தோம், பாடலின் கவிஞரை, அவர்தம் சொல்லாட்சியைப் பார்க்க வேண்டாமா? பாடலை எழுதிய கவியரசு கண்ணதாசன் தமிழ் நாட்டில் காரைக்குடியைப் பிறப்பிடமாகக் கொண்டவர். இவர் பிறந்த இந்தக் காரைக்குடி, மற்றும் சிவகங்கைப் பகுதிகள் 'செட்டிநாடு' என்ற பெயரால் அழைக்கப் படுகிறது. ஆங்கிலேயர் காலம்தொட்டு இன்றுவரை தமிழ்நாட்டிலும், இலங்கை,மலேசியா, சிங்கப்பூர் போன்ற நாடுகளிலும் வியாபாரத்தில் 'கொடிகட்டிப் பறப்பது' இந்தச் 'செட்டியார்' என்ற சமுதாயப் பிரிவினரே.
இந்தப் பிரிவினர் வியாபாரத்தில் மட்டும் வெற்றி பெற்ற மக்கட் பிரிவாக இருக்கவில்லை. "ஆம், நீங்கள் நினைப்பது சரியே"., இவர்கள் 'உண்போரை மயக்கும்' சுவையான உணவுகளைச் சமைக்கும் அற்புதமான சமையல் கலையிலும் வல்லுனர்கள்.

தமிழ் நாட்டில் மட்டுமின்றி, இலங்கை, மலேசியா, சிங்கப்பூர், தாய்லாந்து, வியட்நாம் வரை இவர்களது சமையல் கலையும், 'செட்டிநாடு உணவகங்களும்' மிகவும் பிரபலம். அண்மைக் காலங்களில் அமெரிக்காவிலும் ஏன் ஐரோப்பிய நாடுகளிலும் செட்டிநாடு உணவகங்கள் தோன்றிவிட்டன.

How about that?

Another blog post that loved to talk about this song and food extensively, initially didn't know who penned it Rolling Eyes. Later, when a commenter pointed out that it was GA, the reaction is one of surprise (namba mudiyavillai kind) :

அட... கங்கை அமரனா எழுதினது அது? குட்.

Anyways, the above samples are just supportive evidences to my whining theory (of how GA never got the credit he deserved) Laughing

Well, this thiNNai article has some nice information - that the first line is from "ஏட்டில் எழுதாக்கவிதைகள்" - i.e. unwritten folk songs that people sang in villages and GA built upon it. (That article shows how the whole pallavi of 'pAdaRiyEn padippaRiyEn' too came from such source) Smile

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:41 pm

#53 poovarasam poo pooththAchchu poNNukku sEdhiyum vandhAchchu

(SJ, kizhakkE pOgum rayil)

"karakara vaNdi kAmAchchi vaNdi kezhakkE pOgudhu poLLAchchi vaNdi" is a very common play phrase we used during childhood and I was thrilled and amused to hear that in a film song when KPR arrived. I lived in a village near Dindigul - at least 130 km away from Pollachi - and never figured out what was the connection Smile

It's possible this rhyme was popular in Theni side villages too and Bharathiraja chose to have that as the film title (kizhakkE pOgum rayil). Other than in such (nursery) rhyme, there's no way any vaNdi can go EAST from a typical TN village to Pollachi, because that town is in the west-most point of TN in the modern era Laughing Only Palakkad fellows can sing "kizhakkE pOgudhu pollAchchi vaNdi" Laughing Interestingly, the "Palakkad -Pollachi -Pazhani - Dindigul - Madurai" rail route was one of those rare ones that had steam engines even in late 80's, running on a metre gauge!

In any case, Pollachi must have been famous as a major commercial center during the 60's and 70's. ("podhiyai Eththi vaNdiyilE, Pollachi sandhayilE, Virudhunagar vyAbArikku chellakkaNNu, neeyum viththuppOttu paNaththai eNNu chellakkaNNu" reference in the "maNappARai mAdu katti" song of makkaLaippeRRa makarAsi!) During my childhood, they always connected Pollachi to coconuts as it was the major trade center for that nut. That way, the vaNdi reference should have been mainly for goods (and not so much of people transport) IMO.

We had tons of poovarasa marams in our villages and this beautiful flower with a distinct fragrance is well-known to most TN-ers. I'm not sure whether it got featured in TFM prior but the reference to this in the pallavi was so rooted and had an instant connect with the TN audience. No wonder the folksy song was such a patti-thotti hit those days. 'kAvEri pOla ponguRa manasu' is another beautiful uvamai for the time period. When the river overflows during the Adipperukku kind of time of the year, one can see the nurai pongal because of sudden outburst of floodlike run of the river. (Though this phenomenon is more easily observed in smaller rivers, it always connects better to listeners if kAveri / vaigai kind of name is thrown in).

Janaki gets thrilled singing it, IR revels in his orch and a bulky Radhika in half-saree thoroughly enjoys the song on-screen! One of the biggest themmAngu hits written by the flower-poet!

thiraippAdal: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1682'&lang=en

youtube:

pAdal varikaL:

பல்லவி

பூவரசம்பூ பூத்தாச்சு பொண்ணுக்கு சேதியும் வந்தாச்சு
காவேரி போலப் பொங்குற மனசு பாடாதோ?

சரணம் 1 :
தூது போ ரயிலே ரயிலே துடிக்குதொரு குயிலே குயிலே..
என்னென்னவோ என் நெஞ்சிலே

பட்டணம் போனா பாப்பாயா பாத்தொரு சங்கதி கேட்பாயா
கிழக்கே போகும் ரயிலே நீதான் எனக்கொரு தோழி
தூது போவாயோ?

சரணம் 2 :
நடப்பதோ மார்கழி மாசம் தையிலே நிச்சயதார்த்தம்
நாதசுரம் மேளம் வரும்

நெதமும் நெல்லுச் சோறாக்கி நெத்திலி மீனுக்குழம்பாக்கி
மச்சான் வந்தா ஆக்கிக் கொடுப்பேன்
மாருல சாய்ஞ்சு புதையலெடுப்பேனே

கரகர வண்டி காமாச்சி வண்டி
கிழக்கே போறது பொள்ளாச்சி வண்டி கூஊஊஊ
கிறுகிறுகிறுகிறு கிறுகிறுகிறுகிறு ஆ!

சரணம் 3:

நாளெல்லாம் ஏங்கிக்கிட்டிருக்கேன் சாமிக்கு வேண்டிக்கிட்டிருக்கேன்
தூக்கமில்லே காத்திருக்கேன்

வீரபாண்டிக் கோயிலிலே வருகிற தைப்பொங்கலிலே
வேண்டினபடியே பொங்கலும் வைப்பேன்
கேட்டதையெல்லாம் கொடுக்குற சாமிக்கு

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:07 am

#54 poovilE mEdai nAn pOdavA?

(PJ & PS in pagal nilavu)

Let's have a (relatively) short song, another one from MR's first Thamizh movie pagal nilavu. (We've already hosted the terrific 'poomAlaiyE Engum iru thOL sEra vA)

A sweet number with a terrific piano / flute prelude and a soothing melody. A modernistic aNNan-thangai pAsa song that didn't find a place in the movie's regular narrative. (MR would have thought why waste a song on Sarathbabu Laughing).

Well, as this youtube shows, the song got used as "end-titles-credit-BGM" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWqAxo6w9ZA

To listen to the complete song (just one saraNam, just one line there by PS but otherwise it's all PJ show), go to thiraippAdal: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2628'&lang=en

Very simple yet elegant lines penned by GA and I always love the 'poovizhi' uvamai :

பல்லவி:

பூவிலே மேடை நான் போடவா?

பூவிழி மூட நான் பாடவா?

தோளிரண்டில் இரு பூங்கொடி

என் சொந்தம் எல்லாம் இது தானடி!

சரணம்:

பூவிதழ் போல முல்லை என் பிள்ளை புன்னகை செய்தால் கண்படும்

கண்மணி பிள்ளை கொஞ்சமும் வாட கண்ட என் நெஞ்சம் புண்படும்

அன்னை தந்தை யாவும் அண்ணன் தானடி!

அன்பு கொண்டு வாழும் சொந்தம் தானடி!

நூறு நூறு ஜென்மம் கூடி நின்று வாழும் வரமும் வேண்டி தினமும் தவமிருக்கும்

Sibling-affection songs are always touching-touching to me and this one is no exception.

Well, let's host even a better one of similar genre by GA next week from a மு.க. movie (no prizes for guessing) Smile

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:59 pm

#55 thenpANdiththamizhE en singArakkuyilE

(pAsappaRavaikaL, KJY/KSC)

Musicalaya website doesn't have the vinyl of this movie but I had a mild doubt it could be GA. Searched around the web but found no authentic details of the lyricist anywhere, though there are any number of blog posts & slAgippus for this song.

Interestingly, flipcart sells the song (agi music version) and says GA is the lyricist but I couldn't place my bet based on agi kind of source, though it kind of gave me some hope that this song could be by GA. (Such a popular song but see what nelamai for the lyricist Shocked Everyone talks about IR, quite deservingly, but the fellow who wrote the lines need at least some mention somewhere, illaiyA?)

It's one of those songs that I've heard over a thousand times on the car and don't want to easily leave out from this thread Smile Well, I thought there's this panneer-pushpangaL-route, let me try that!

Landed on a video link for the movie that reminded me that this was one of those written by mu-ka, the DMK supremo. Directed by Kochi Haneefa (who also acted as villain / comedian in a number of Malayalam & Thamizh movies...he is no more but the treacherous character he played in mahAnadhi cannot be easily forgotten. Even his brief roles in Mohanlal version of kireedam / Rajini's sivAji & enthiran are well-known to most movie watchers). GA is the sole lyricist for the movie Smile

I've posted every now and then about this number in the 'last song' thread of IR section in the hub Embarassed I remember mentioning my first listen of this song when my cousin introduced it and excitedly talked about its first interlude during a Chennai visit. He also intro'd me 'katti vachchukkO endhan anbu manasa' on the same day, in his new Panasonic stereo. Within a few days, I had a sony cassette that included these two numbers. Songs that became my bedtime companions for many many days!

Most of the time I appreciated the melody, interludes and singing (one of the best in KSC's career) in this song that gave me goosebumps. However, the varikaL are no way behind those aspects IMHO. Lovely lines and GA can definitely be proud about it!

pAdal varikaL:

பல்லவி

தென்பாண்டித் தமிழே என் சிங்காரக் குயிலே
இசை பாடும் ஒரு காவியம் இது ரவிவர்மாவின் ஓவியம்
பாசம் என்னும் ஆலயம் உனைப் பாட வேண்டும் ஆயிரம்

சரணம் 1:

வாழ்த்தி உன்னைப்பாடவே வார்த்தை தோன்றவில்லையே
பார்த்துப்பார்த்துக் கண்ணிலே பாசம் மாறவில்லையே
அன்பு என்னும் கூண்டிலே ஆடிப் பாடும் பூங்குயில்
ஆசை தீபம் ஏற்றுதே அண்ணன் உன்னைப்போற்றுதே
தாவி வந்த பிள்ளையே தாயைப் பார்த்ததில்லையே
தாயைப் போலப்பார்க்கிறேன் வேறு பார்வை இல்லையே
மஞ்சளோடு குங்குமம் கொண்டு வாழ வேண்டுமே, நீ என்றும் வாழ வேண்டுமே!

சரணம் 2:

தேகம் வேறு ஆகலாம் ஜீவன் ஒன்று தானம்மா
அன்பு கொண்டு பாடிடும் அண்ணன் என்னைப்பாரம்மா
கோவில் தேவை இல்லையே நேரில் வந்த கோவிலே
பாடும் எந்தன் பாவிலே நாளும் வாழும் தேவனே
கூடு வாழும் குருவிகள் பாடும் பாசப் பறவைகள்
வாழ்த்துவேன் உனைப்போற்றுவேன் வாழ்வெலாம் உனை ஏற்றுவேன்
காலம் காலம் யாவிலும் சேர்ந்து வாழ வேண்டுவேன், நாம் சேர்ந்து வாழ வேண்டுவேன்!

thiraippAdal link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2573'&lang=en

I'm not a big fan of the video but posting here anyways Embarassed

The personal memories plus experiences / sibling love that one gets reminded of by this sweet song are far more beautiful than anything that can be shown on screen!

Not even great directors / artists can do much justice to such a song and we have some pAvams doing a so-so job...

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next