Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recently Watched

+25
baroque
fring151
dilbert
Drunkenmunk
balaji.r
Sridhar
mythila
Joe
radiochandra
writeface
HonestRaj
suresh2
Karthikeyan
groucho070
V_S
jaiganesh
Sakalakala Vallavar
app_engine
Bala (Karthik)
Admin
plum
Michael AF
kid_glove
sagi
29 posters

Page 11 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

Recently Watched - Page 11 Empty Re: Recently Watched

Post  V_S Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Joe,
An excellent write-up again. the clap I came to know about all these details only through you, I am surprised how JeMo and Mani sir ignored these basic facts.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:08 pm

V_S wrote:Joe,
An excellent write-up again. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

+1 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I am surprised how JeMo and Mani sir ignored these basic facts.

I guess they thought "it's after all cinema and who cares about facts, sensationalizing is what people want" or something like that. For e.g., in the case of nAyakan, most cine-goers in TN are not aware of the ground realities (or facts) of Bombay's Dharavi life. So, there could not be much reality-check / examination etc. Well, people simply embraced whatever MR / Balakumaran presented.

Likewise, MR/JeMo combo possibly reasoned that most TN cine-goers aren't closely aware of what's happening in the lives of meenava makkaL, so let's try similar tricks. Unfortunately for them, Aravindsamy / Arjun / Gautam etc are not Kamal / Rajini Laughing

BTW, I had a chance to listen to two songs from kadal. (moongil thOttam & adiyE). Pretty unimpressive. 'moongil thOttam' sounded like what some XYZ group in south TN composes for a reception after a church wedding. (Actually I've heard better compositions from such groups in Virudhunagar / Nellai / Tuticorin areas...one would expect something better from a composer who often gets compared with IR). 'adiyE' sounded like what gets dished out by some XYZ local group if one randomly picks an FM station in Detroit - that irritates you to quickly switch to another FM station.

I'll have to listen to the other numbers in this album before concluding whether he has any more creativity left. (Read he is going to direct a movie Laughing Possibly struggling to get his music act together...so, may be trying other tricks...)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:09 pm

app ji,
Laughing I don't know what to say, but amused by your analogies and you are right. To be honest, tunes are very juvenile nowadays.
app_engine wrote:who often gets compared with IR
this is the pain point for me.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:47 pm

To ARR's credit, however, I need to tell that these songs got "force-fed" to me by my almost-20-year old son Smile

He loves 'moongil thOttam', plays it often on the van (from his iPhone)! What's more, I even saw him downloading some notes and teaching himself to sing & play chords on guitar etc.

So, ARR impacts his target audience - no question about it - but to me no excitement (as in the case of the brilliant ottakaththakkattikkO / nenjinilE of initial days or even the later ones such as munbE vA / ellAppugazhum oruvan oruvanukkE)...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:48 pm

app_engine wrote:To ARR's credit, however, I need to tell that these songs got "force-fed" to me by my almost-20-year old son Smile

He loves 'moongil thOttam', plays it often on the van (from his iPhone)! What's more, I even saw him downloading some notes and teaching himself to sing & play chords on guitar etc.

So, ARR impacts his target audience - no question about it - but to me no excitement (as in the case of the brilliant ottakaththakkattikkO / nenjinilE of initial days or even the later ones such as munbE vA / ellAppugazhum oruvan oruvanukkE)...
kadEsila vechchaaryaa twistu Laughing Appji ungaLa purinjikkavE mudiyalai.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:18 pm

Nerd wrote: Appji ungaLa purinjikkavE mudiyalai.

Smile

கேட்ட உடனே ஒரு "அட!" உணர்வு வந்தது Smile It's a well-packed song IMHO.

It's possible I'm positively tuned to the 'nenjam uNdu nErmai uNdu Odu rAjA' genre from childhood (which wasn't targeted as much by rAsA as his illustrious predecessors MSV / KVM)...In addition, ARR sings fantastic - especially towards the end, challenging the best in the biz!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:18 pm

thambikku endha ooru
I've seen this in theater(s) at the time of arrival & on Friday first time on internet.
Exactly same feel like how it was years back - scenes I liked then are enjoyable even now!
Likewise the scenes I disliked then are intolerable now too!
Rajini [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
(All songs except 'kAdhalin deepam onRu' FF-ed Embarassed)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:36 am

mouna rAgam
2nd time (both watches on the net only Embarassed )
A sizeable part still holds good Smile Not much "moving" biz in this movie, however Embarassed
Songs other than 'nilAvE vA' & 'manRam vandha' got promptly FF-ed.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:42 pm

FF-ed for Risque Visuals (Risque by app_engine Family standards)? Smile

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:38 pm

plum wrote:FF-ed for Risque Visuals (Risque by app_engine Family standards)? Smile

Laughing

Not so much of risque in the case of TEO & MR...FF-ed mainly for two reasons :

1. Save time (night show time, ~10 PM is when I typically start)

2. On-screen things boring and often worse than that (irritating).

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:36 pm

enga veettuppiLLai (masAlA of those days with twin MGR, piRappu ragasiyam etc)...tolerable with some FFs Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:25 am

Watched Kadal last night and I really liked it. the clap May be after all the negative reviews, I went in with zero expectations, but the film turned out to be very good.
  1. First thing I liked about the movie was the continuous flow of dialogues which has become a rarity with Mani films.
  2. I liked the story, except all the time Mani explicitly stated Good-Evil-Angel which annoyed me. If it wasn't explicit, it would have been perfect.
  3. The lighting was too good, especially the night shots and the climax. Climax was excellently shot. Another shot which puzzled me is, after Sam returns from jail he comes to meet Thomas. One shot where it seemed liked Thomas was in front of Sam, but actually Thomas was behind him. I was puzzled how he shot that one? noteworthy
  4. After reading Joe' post on some factual errors, I was thinking Mani failed in bringing up even the milieu, but I was wrong. He brought out the setting well, except the slang which was not natural and seems quite forced all the time (even in the chiththirai nela song).]
  5. Acting-wise good comeback for Aravind Samy. Great debut for Gautam Karthik and Thulasi. Arjun and the supporting cast were also good, especially PonvaNNan and Laksmi Manchu.
  6. Music (including the songs) was too western for me and for the kind of the film. I liked the visuals of ElE keechaan and nenjukuLLe (typical of Mani). Nothing new in background score; he has used themes of chiththirai nela and moongil thOttam many times. We can find the accordian touch in nenjukkuLe (which was not there in the original soundtrack) is in the film and it was nicely used. BGM was not loud which is definitely a plus.

Will watch again. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:37 am

vetRikkodi kattu - as a compromise between me fighting for a B&W era movie v/s my 7 year old asking for Vijay's latest Laughing (She even insists "something 2010 or later year" Laughing )
Vadivelu factor made the kid agree to this Cheran movie. It was in the "Vikraman mode" for most of the time but occasionally also getting into Lalettan-Srinivasan territory.
If one doesn't care about logic (orE pAttil pAl paNNai mudhalALi within a few months etc), it's an OK movie sans songs Smile All those kuppais duly FFed.
Some nice dialogs and terrific Parthiban-Vadivel comedy!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Yuddham sei - terrific thriller. This is how a police procedural flick needs to be done. Cheran, Selva, Lakshmi Ramakrishnan - all stand out performances.
Maanicca vinayagam - need guts to play that kinda villain role. The ending was not neat - could have been a little more clever (in line with the rest of the movie) - Camera angles - not simply sensationalistic - but nice narrative tools - well done. Music - pitch perfect. Some shots - the person speaking is showing his back - needs courage to have shots like that in Thamizh cinema which is so used to What u see is what u get.. more to come..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:44 pm

in the climax action block the closing shot of a cell phone ringing is a blooper.. did anyone notice?

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 02, 2013 5:53 am

payaNangaL mudivadhillai, after many years Smile
My kind of movie Smile
I still love it!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Sun May 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Choothu Kavvum- several notches below NKPK still watchable affair, Vijay Sethupathy is fast becoming Abhay Deol of TFI, never knew
VS enjoyed such fanfare, either that or he has invited all of his family Smile does anyone know about the guy who plays Pagalavan, engeyo paartha nyaabagam, was he a child artist before?

Kai Po Che- too much hype, cliche/mostly V.Sekar stuff,they were missing a school teacher/Thiruvalluvar silai
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:35 pm

Wizzy wrote:Choothu Kavvum- several notches below NKPK still watchable affair, Vijay Sethupathy is fast becoming Abhay Deol of TFI, never knew
VS enjoyed such fanfare, either that or he has invited all of his family  Smile does anyone know about the guy who plays Pagalavan, engeyo paartha nyaabagam, was he a child artist before?

Kai Po Che- too much hype, cliche/mostly V.Sekar stuff,they were missing a school teacher/Thiruvalluvar silai
Laughing idhu dhaan double (bilingual) meaning

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:29 am

I loved soodhu kavvum. Not a single second bored me. The story line itself captured my attention. Very crisp story and crisp story-telling, minus that song which was not at all needed and the BGM. The whole kidnapping episode was nicely written and done. Bloody serious and at the same time blood hilarious. The characters of Vijay Sethupathi, Nambikkai Kannan (MS Baskar), Brahmma, Arumai (son of MSB) well carved and etched. I even love his imaginary girl Shalu (who is she? she looks beautiful Wink). I was laughing out loud when CM calls Nambikkai Kannan and his son Arumai to this office for a surprise decision. Cleverly done. Oh that climax, wonderful again. LOLlaugh

These are the films which stand out from our neighboring states and bollywood. No big heroes. Laid-back approach, raw and rustic as well. Honest film, no gimmicks. No one can imagine to create a racy screenplay out of this story. Hats off to Nalan Kumarasamy👍. Only thing worries me is they normally stop giving their best after their first film. Hope the spark grow as a fire.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:40 am

nEram, another movie which I like a lot. Again a first film for the director Alphonse Putharan. Unusual story line which I don't want to reveal. Nice casting, but heroine Nazriya was too soft and cool in her emotions even the moments demanded more. Again horrible background score. Apart from that, lot of substance in the story and screenplay. Right from Charlie, Thambi Ramaiah, Nivin Pauly, Simha (Vatti Raja) all nicely done. I really loved that chase. Again that hilarious climax similar to Soodhu Kavvum.LOL Film is so naturally and casually shot that we don't feel like watching a film, more like we are among them. That's the biggest positive of the film. 

Overall a very encouraging trend in thamizh films starting with naduvula konjam pakkaththa kaaNOm. Hope this trend continues. At-least I am happy that not much violence in the movies recently. Excellent films to watch with the family and at the same time very new and fresh feel to our films.doublethumbsupthe clap

Back to top Go down

Post  writeface Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:26 am

Soodu Kavvum was very enjoyable!

Nice review about it: http://kalachuvadu.com/issue-162/page40.asp

Gokul

writeface

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:01 am

Thanks a lot Gokul for the link. Wow! Lot of niceties/subtleties noted by the reviewer. Makes me watch again.

Here is Nerd's review on the film. Excellent points. Thanks Nerd. Proud of such films.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rl19mo

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks V_S saar. I was about to post it now Embarassed

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:15 am

lEsA lEsA - javvu Sad 

Photography is superb, however! (Thiru)...Madhavan's brief role is somewhat ok - but the original in Malayalam should have been tremendous by Lalettan (I haven't watched chilambu but can imagine it)...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:57 am

NKPK - liked it!

Lot of smiles / laughs!

Many +ve aspects Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content