Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

திரையிசைத்திலகம் கே.வி.மகாதேவன் அவர்கள் - #45 மாசி மாசக் கடைசியிலே (பல்லாண்டு வாழ்க)

+5
fring151
groucho070
counterpoint
Wizzy
V_S
9 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

திரையிசைத்திலகம் கே.வி.மகாதேவன் அவர்கள் - #45 மாசி மாசக் கடைசியிலே (பல்லாண்டு வாழ்க) - Page 4 Empty Re: திரையிசைத்திலகம் கே.வி.மகாதேவன் அவர்கள் - #45 மாசி மாசக் கடைசியிலே (பல்லாண்டு வாழ்க)

Post  V_S Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:44 pm

Very moving story. Caused a lump in my throat. Thanks for sharing!

Back to top Go down

திரையிசைத்திலகம் கே.வி.மகாதேவன் அவர்கள் - #45 மாசி மாசக் கடைசியிலே (பல்லாண்டு வாழ்க) - Page 4 Empty Re: திரையிசைத்திலகம் கே.வி.மகாதேவன் அவர்கள் - #45 மாசி மாசக் கடைசியிலே (பல்லாண்டு வாழ்க)

Post  app_engine Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:34 am

nanRi V_Sji, MayilSK, rajkumarc & Nerd for reading the story and posting your comments (here and twitter).

I was able to cleverly bring the subject of this family during my phone call to ammA ; got all the needed details, for the conclusion of the varalARu...("cleverly" = just one simple question. That's all needed for ammA to talk for many minutes on the subject Laughing )

****************************************************************************************************

The last girl (#4) of the family, who also happened to be my sister's classmate, is serving as a school teacher somewhere in the same area, happily married / having kids / enjoying life Smile

The akkA (#3) who used to race with me is the one with highest education from that family...thus having some high quality job...happily married with just one kid Smile Not living in that area but in some big city...

The boy managed to finally get the job for his qualification, as a physical edu teacher, somewhere in the same district. Once again, happily married / kids / routine life etc.

The eldest akkA's case is the most interesting. She became a teacher in the same school her parents served Smile And later moved to another branch of that in the neighboring village as HM. Marriage / kids etc all happened as desired

****************************************************************************************************

Now, the story won't be complete if I miss two important details...

1. The eldest has recently retired Shocked Means, she must be 58 years...reminding one how fast events have overtaken one's journey of life...and the idea of getting old is not a very nice feeling Embarassed 

2. The mother, my AnA AvannA teacher, had her 2nd retirement (i.e. from life) two years ago Sad Sad

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:48 am

the clap

She must have had a fulfilling life, seeing her kids do well in life. Reminds me of my own grandfather Razz 11 kids including my dad. 8 sons and 3 daughters. Sometime around the time the youngest son (the 11th) was 2 yrs old, thaatha faced heavy losses in business (had a chit fund company on paati's name and his partner swindled him. Something like Mahanadhi film) and thaatha was left in the lurch. The losses amounted to 1 lakh then around 1970. For 10 yrs, he faced herculean struggles trying to feed the 11 mouths and educate them (and marry the 3 girls) and eventually, all the sons qualified well and lifted him out from the debt. He passed away a satisfied man 6 yrs back at the age of 86 #PasumaiNiraindhaNinaivugal Smile
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:39 pm

Just for record, another source authenticating 'mayakkum mAlaippozhudhE nee pO pO' was by KVM:
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-cinemaplus/article3023424.ece

(Randor Guy writing TF history on The Hindu)

The music was by K. V. Mahadevan. Not many are aware that the tune composed for this film by Mahadevan, ‘Mayakkum maalai pozhudhu...’, could not be used for many reasons and was subsequently used by Ramanna in Gulebakavali for which the music composers were Viswanathan-Ramamurthy. This song is still popular. 

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:08 am

#28 பொன்னான வாழ்வே மண்ணாகிப் போமா (டவுன் பஸ்)

Another 50's song (1955) that still had considerable radio time in the 70's / 80's during my main listening period.

While I never liked the song (too sad and not suitable for my age at that time), I cannot deny that the song was popular in TN.

Pugazhendhi is credited as the assistant to KVM on this movie titles. So, he was assisting the MD for MANY decades Shocked

The lyricist is K M Sheriff for this movie and there are at least two songs that reached me.

This song has that childish-sounding M S Rajeswari and Trichy Loganathan. (On screen are Anjali Devi & Kannappa).

One more interesting this about this movie is A P Nagarajan is listed as "kadhai-vasanam" (his early days, not a director yet).

Here are the pAdal varigaL & youtube :

பொன்னான வாழ்வே மண்ணாகிப் போமா
துயரம் நிலை தானா உலகம் இதுதானா?

பண்போடு முன்னாளில் அன்பாக என்னோடு வாழ்ந்தாரே
வீணான பாலாய் விரும்பாத பூவாய்
என்றெண்ணி விடுத்தாரே என்னன்பை மறந்தாரே

பண்பாடு இல்லாமல் மண் மீதே பாழாகி நொந்தேனே
தேனான வாழ்வு திசைமாறிப் போச்சே
நிம்மதி இழந்தாச்சே தீராத பழியாச்சே

பெண்ணென்றும் பாராமல் எல்லோரும் என் மீது பழி சொல்வார்
உள்ளன்பு கொண்டேன் அவர்மீது நானே
ஊராரும் அறிவாரோ? என் வாழ்வை அழிப்பாரோ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0PzX8gqYs

The youtube also has a scene leading to the sobbing song. To listen to the song alone, one can use the link below:

http://www.artistsrights.org/town-bus-full-album-tamil/

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:49 pm

#29 சிட்டுக்குருவி சிட்டுக்குருவி சேதி தெரியுமா? (டவுன் பஸ்)

This is another song that was a regular on radio those days in that childish MS Rajeswari voice.

The song seems to have both happy and pathos versions. 

Both must have been penned by K.M.Sheriff, being the sole lyricist for the movie. Also, both songs share the lines 75% (only the last two lines are different, with a total of 8 lines).

The first one is sung to a literal chittukkuruvi in kooNdu while the sobbing one is to the child that asks "When will daddy come back?" Embarassed

Here are the pAdal varigaL:

சிட்டுக்குருவி சிட்டுக்குருவி சேதி தெரியுமா? 
என்னை விட்டுப் பிரிஞ்சு போன கணவன் வீடு திரும்பலே

பட்டு மெத்த விரிச்சு வச்சேன் சும்மாக் கிடக்குது
பசும்பாலைக் காய்ச்சி எடுத்து வச்சேன் ஆறிக் கிடக்குது

தலைய வாரிப் பூ முடிச்சேன் வாடி வதங்குது
சதா தெருவில் வந்து நின்று நின்று காலும் கடுக்குது
வழிய வழியப் பாத்துப் பாத்துக் கண்ணும் நோகுது
அவர் வந்தால் பேச நிறைய சேதி நெஞ்சில் இருக்குது

The youtube of the happy version : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy-nGNGAnDQ

The last two lines are replaced by the following in the sOga version:

குழந்தை அப்பா எங்கே என்று என்னைக்கேட்குது 
நெஞ்சம் வருந்தி வருந்தி அழுது அழுது கண்ணும் நோகுது 

This video too is on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxj_l5WEcCo

Not a big favorite with me, as in the case of the previous song from this movie. 

Nevertheless, cannot deny the claim on popularity.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:19 am

#30 மயக்கமென்ன இந்த மௌனமென்ன (வசந்த மாளிகை)

Since this thread is not a chronological exercise but free-form, I'm jumping to the 1972 biggie featuring NT.

The song needs no intro, one of the biggest hit numbers of TFM from that decade. The song's popularity to this day in unquestionable. 
(Shankar showcased it as a NT-era-sample in his Rajinikanth movie "Sivaji" for the 1st night scene. Just oru sORu).

Unfortunately, this song was such a big irritation for me during school days - didn't like the song those days but was subjected to involuntary listen 1000's of times. Every kalyANam - kachchEri had it and the loud TMS voice blasting thru loud kOlAmbi speakers at high decibels was such an attack on my ears those years Embarassed Even PS wasn't sweet to my ears in this song at that period of time and I used to consider the song as an assault on me.

Not that I like it that much now - but I've developed appreciation for some splendid lines by kavingar in this song over the years.

அன்னத்தைத் தொட்ட கைகளினால் மதுக்கிண்ணத்தை இனி நான் தொட மாட்டேன்

உன்னையல்லால் ஒரு பெண்ணை இனி நான் உள்ளத்தினாலும் தொட மாட்டேன்

உன் உள்ளம் இருப்பது என்னிடமே அதை உயிர் போனாலும் தரமாட்டேன்

Terrific lines!

KVM had the benefit of setting melody to these evergreen lines that got etched in the memory of millions of ThamizhargaL around the world!

He did a decent job but the loud TMS killed any possible softness / feelings in the poem or melody by shouting it out!

Anyways, here are the youtube and pAdal varigaL...(there's this famous scene from the movie that precedes the song included in the youtube, enjoy!)

மயக்கமென்ன இந்த மௌனமென்ன மணி மாளிகை தான் கண்ணே
தயக்கமென்ன இந்த சலனமென்ன அன்புக்காணிக்கை தான் கண்ணே

கற்பனையில் வரும் கதைகளிலே நான் கேட்டதுண்டு கண்ணா
என் காதலுக்கே வரும் காணிக்கை என்றே நினைத்ததில்லை கண்ணா

தேர் போலே ஒரு பொன்னூஞ்சல் அதில் தேவதை போலே நீ ஆட
பூவாடை வரும் மேனியிலே உன் புன்னகை இதழ்கள் விளையாட
கார்காலம் என விரிந்த கூந்தல் கன்னத்தின் மீதே கோலமிட
கை வளையும் மை விழியும் கட்டி அணைத்துக் கவி பாட

பாடி வரும் வண்ண நீரோடை உன்னைப் பாத பூஜை செய்து வர
ஓடி வரும் அந்த ஓடையிலே உன் உள்ளமும் சேர்ந்து மிதந்து வர
மல்லிகைக் காற்று மெல்லிடை மீது மந்திரம் போட்டுத் தாலாட்ட
வள்ளி மலைத்தேன் அள்ளி எழுந்த வண்ண இதழ் உன்னை நீராட்ட

அன்னத்தைத் தொட்ட கைகளினால் மதுக்கிண்ணத்தை இனி நான் தொட மாட்டேன்
கன்னத்தில் இருக்கும் கிண்ணத்தை எடுத்து மதுவருந்தாமல் விட மாட்டேன்
உன்னையல்லால் ஒரு பெண்ணை இனி நான் உள்ளத்தினாலும் தொட மாட்டேன்
உன் உள்ளம் இருப்பது என்னிடமே அதை உயிர் போனாலும் தரமாட்டேன்

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wufr44qn1xk

The interludes in the movie are additional extensions that were not in the vinyl. Also, I don't remember most vinyls having the middle saraNam...I think the ones that were on loudspeakers had only two saraNams...or it could be my loss of memory Embarassed

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:02 am

#31 ஓரு கிண்ணத்தை ஏந்துகின்றேன் (வசந்த மாளிகை)

Another TMS shouting special from this NT hit movie that used to tear my ears apart those days.

However, I do remember liking the lady voice portions ( B Vasantha it seems) that had variation between saraNam to saraNam Wink

These portions were / are delectable to me:

சொர்க்கம் இருப்பது உண்மை என்றால் 
அது பக்கத்தில் நிற்கட்டுமே வெறும் வெட்கங்கள் ஓடட்டுமே

கட்டழகானதோர் கற்பனை ராஜ்ஜியம்
கட்டி முடிந்ததடா அதில் கட்டில் அமைந்ததடா

Immediately after the female voice finishes these portions, TMS shouts the same lines taking away the pleasing experience one had only seconds prior Embarassed

Regardless of my like / dislike, this song was a patti-thotti-city hit of the 70's. There's no question about the good tune smith-ing of KVM but the orch is pathetic and sans any imagination IMHO...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su0lZwoaUfE

ஏன் ஏன் ஏன்
ஓரு கிண்ணத்தை ஏந்துகின்றேன் ஏன் ஏன் ஏன்
பல எண்ணத்தில் நீந்துகின்றேன் ஏன்

சொர்க்கம் இருப்பது உண்மை என்றால் 
அது பக்கத்தில் நிற்கட்டுமே வெறும் வெட்கங்கள் ஓடட்டுமே
இந்தக் கொக்குக்குத் தேவை கூரிய மூக்கினில் 
சிக்கிடும் மீன் மட்டுமே இதன் தேவைகள் வாழட்டுமே

கட்டழகானதோர் கற்பனை ராஜ்ஜியம்
கட்டி முடிந்ததடா அதில் கட்டில் அமைந்ததடா
கொடும் சட்டங்கள் தர்மங்கள் ஏதும் இல்லை
இன்பச்சக்கரம் சுற்றுதடா அதில் நான் சக்கரவர்த்தியடா 

The disk version had only the above two saraNams. The movie version (refer the youtube above) has an extra first saraNam, with nothing extraordinary and I didn't take pains to get those lines. Not worthy.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:52 am

#32 யாருக்காக  (வசந்த மாளிகை)

Another big hit song that needs no intro. Also, a song that had been made fun of over the years Laughing
(There is even a Manorama comedy song with the same tune, that goes like " இந்த மாளிகை ரத்ன மாளிகை" that came in another movie).

Typical Sivaji-TMS-loud-shouting-dramatic-ear-shattering-70's-number Embarassed

I must confess, however, that the saraNam is quite nice. Especially, this portion:

கண்கள் தீண்டும் காதல் என்பது அது கண்ணில் நீரை வரவழைப்பது
பெண்கள் காட்டும் அன்பு என்பது நம்மைப் பித்தனாக்கி அலையவைப்பது

Though I'm not sure if anyone would want to watch this youtube, I'm posting the link here as a kadamai :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4sX_5LL8e8

Also, here are the pAdal varigaL by Kavingar that were made into a song with a typical KVM melody and typical Pugazhendi sounds :

யாருக்காக இது யாருக்காக
இந்த மாளிகை வசந்த மாளிகை
காதல் ஓவியம் கலைந்த மாளிகை

காதலே போ போ 
காதலே வா வா 

மரணம் என்னும் தூது வந்தது
அது மங்கை என்னும் வடிவில் வந்தது
சொர்க்கமாக நான் நினைத்தது
இன்று நரகமாக மாறிவிட்டது

மலரைத்தானே நான் பறித்தது 
கை முள்ளின் மீது ஏன் விழுந்தது 
உறவைத்தானே நான் நினைத்தது 
என்னைப் பிரிவு வந்து ஏன் அழைத்தது 

எழுதுங்கள் என் கல்லறையில்
அவள் இரக்கம் இல்லாதவள் என்று
பாடுங்கள் என் கல்லறையில்
இவன் பைத்தியக்காரன் என்று

கண்கள் தீண்டும் காதல் என்பது
அது கண்ணில் நீரை வரவழைப்பது
பெண்கள் காட்டும் அன்பு என்பது
நம்மைப் பித்தனாக்கி அலையவைப்பது

எங்கிருந்து சொந்தம் வந்தது 
இன்று எங்கிருந்து நஞ்சு வந்தது 
அங்கிருந்து ஆட்டுகின்றவன் 
தினம் ஆடுகின்ற நாடகம் இது

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:39 pm

#33 கலைமகள் கைப்பொருளே (வசந்த மாளிகை)

This popular song from this movie happens to be my favorite from this album. 

While PS has some extra emphasis on one or two Thamizh letters here and there (and those are not very appropriate IMHO), such do not diminish her overall terrific delivery of this excellent song. 

Very sweet melody by KVM. Obviously the variation that he brings in for the second saraNam enhances the beauty (and that portion happens to be my most desirable portion within the song...நான் யார் உன்னை மீட்ட வரும் நன்மைக்கும் தீமைக்கும் வழி காட்ட? ஏனோ துடிக்கின்றேன் அதன் இனம் தெரியாமல் தவிக்கின்றேன்) Smile

One of the evergreen treasures of TFM!

On-screen is not that great, though tolerable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3SFR5vwhGE

Kavingar excels with his simple yet powerful lines :

கலைமகள் கைப்பொருளே உன்னை கவனிக்க ஆளில்லையோ
விலையில்லா மாளிகையில் உன்னை மீட்டவும் விரலில்லையோ

உன்னிடம் ஆயிரம் ராகங்களே என்றும் உனக்குள் ஆயிரம் கீதங்களே
இசையறிந்தோர்கள் மீட்டுங்களே இல்லை எனக்கேனும் வழி காட்டுங்களே

நான் யார் உன்னை மீட்ட வரும் நன்மைக்கும் தீமைக்கும் வழி காட்ட
ஏனோ துடிக்கின்றேன் அதன் இனம் தெரியாமல் தவிக்கின்றேன்

சொர்க்கமும் நரகமும் நம் வசமே நான் சொல்வதை உன் மனம் கேட்கட்டுமே
சத்தியம் தர்மங்கள் நிலைக்கட்டுமே இது தாய்மையின் குரலாய் ஒலிக்கட்டுமே 

the clap

Last edited by app_engine on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:20 am

app_engine wrote:#33 கலைமகள் கைப்பொருளே (வசந்த மாளிகை)

This popular song from this movie happens to be my favorite from this album. 

While PS has some extra emphasis on one or two Thamizh letters here and there (and those are not very appropriate IMHO), such do not diminish her overall terrific delivery of this excellent song. 

Very sweet melody by KVM. Obviously the variation that he brings in for the second saraNam enhances the beauty (and that portion happens to my most desirable portion within the song...நான் யார் உன்னை மீட்ட வரும் நன்மைக்கும் தீமைக்கும் வழி காட்ட? ஏனோ துடிக்கின்றேன் அதன் இனம் தெரியாமல் தவிக்கின்றேன்) Smile

One of the evergreen treasures of TFM!

On-screen is not that great, though tolerable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3SFR5vwhGE

Kavingar excels with his simple yet powerful lines :

கலைமகள் கைப்பொருளே உன்னை கவனிக்க ஆளில்லையோ

உன்னிடம் ஆயிரம் ராகங்களே என்றும் உனக்குள் ஆயிரம் கீதங்களே
இசையறிந்தோர்கள் மீட்டுங்களே இல்லை எனக்கேனும் வழி காட்டுங்களே

நான் யார் உன்னை மீட்ட வரும் நன்மைக்கும் தீமைக்கும் வழி காட்ட
ஏனோ துடிக்கின்றேன் அதன் இனம் தெரியாமல் தவிக்கின்றேன்

சொர்க்கமும் நரகமும் நம் வசமே நான் சொல்வதை உன் மனம் கேட்கட்டுமே
சத்தியம் தர்மங்கள் நிலைக்கட்டுமே இது தாய்மையின் குரலாய் ஒலிக்கட்டுமே 

the clap
It is a stunning song indeed. Great tune I mean. Orch. is a well left, especially at Eno Thudikkindren, the violin rush is rotfl. Otherwise tabla and veena do a good job. Strings section throughout is  LOL material. Anyway, sattila avvalo dhaan (Pugazhendi+KV Mama) wrt orch. Song tends towards Sivaranjani though I feel he holds back from expressing the raga's flavor completely, like in say a Poovannam Pola Nenjam (great Sivaranjani from Salilda) or an Unnai Thaane Thanjam Endru (our very own) (and interestingly, Sivaranjani is famous as a pathos raga for films and that is how KVM uses it but now when I think about my two examples (which were very random), Salilda and our man have used it for romantic duets! Smile), but this is nevertheless a great tune and a creative usage of the raga.

Excellent lines from Kannadasan, almost a reprise of Nalladhor Veenai Seidhen, in the context of this film thumbsup overall super song.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:10 pm

#34 குடிமகனே பெருங்குடிமகனே (வசந்த மாளிகை)

Kavingar's terrific twist of the Thamizh word for citizen into "putti"zen is awesome in this song. Interestingly, that has become the de facto newspaper language (and even the one in most common conversations in TN) since then, for describing people who drink Smile

That this song was a patti-thotti-citi hit during 70's in TN is an understatement. It went beyond that, as mentioned above, even transforming people's language. Such was the influence of this number.

For a change, I like TMS's singing in this song of the album Smile 

He doesn't unnecessarily shout but provides terrific NT-like voice modulations / mild roar and sticks to the theme of the song nicely. LRE does what was expected of her effortlessly. 

KVM provides catchy melody and the orch dept fails as usual. There's some attempt to mimic bollywood sounds in the prelude and here and there but Pugazhendhi could not do it well.
Back to the pAdal varigaL - one gets stunned with most of them - simple but terrific! And smoothly running along the tune! the clap  

If one had heard about kavingar's taste for madhu & mAdhu, such output won't be surprising  as those are primarily featured in this song Laughing
(However, the on-screen happenings aren't matching the lines to any degree, despite having the towering NT).

குடிமகனே பெருங்குடிமகனே 
(குடிமகளே பெருங்குடிமகளே)
நான் கொடுக்கட்டுமா அதை உனக்கு
கொடுத்து எடுக்கட்டுமா கொஞ்சம் எனக்கு

இடைவிட்ட பூவினால் கடைவைத்துக் காட்டுவேன் கனிவிட்ட மார்பில் சூட்டுவேன்
எது வரை போகுமோ அது வரை போகலாம் புதுவகை ரசனையோடு பார்க்கலாம்
பகலுக்கு அதிசயம் இரவுக்கு அவசியம் பழகிவிட்டால் என்ன ரகசியம்
கனிவிட்ட மாமரம் அணிலுக்கு மாத்திரம் காதலில் வேறென்ன சாத்திரம்

கடலென்ன ஆழமா கருவிழி ஆழமா இறங்குங்கள் மயங்கி நாம் நீந்தலாம்
ஆயிரம் கண்களில் அடிக்கடி நீந்தினேன் ஆழத்தை இங்கு தானே காணலாம்
ஆண்டவன் படைப்பிலே ஆனந்தம் ஒருவகை பார்த்ததில்லை நான் இதுவரை
வேண்டிய அளவிலும் விடிகின்ற வரையிலும் பார்த்து வைப்போம் நாம் பலமுறை

My most favorite line is obviously the beginning of second saraNam, what an imagination!

கடலென்ன ஆழமா கருவிழி ஆழமா இறங்குங்கள் மயங்கி நாம் நீந்தலாம் Smile

Well, here is the youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHbrHGd493E

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:34 pm

#35 இரண்டு மனம் வேண்டும் (வசந்த மாளிகை)

Thru out my school years, I had been tortured by being forced to listen to this number (as in the case of some other songs of this album). Never liked it, even though the song had this interesting thaththuvam in the first saraNam (typical Kavingar stuff):

இரவும் பகலும் இரண்டானால் இன்பம் துன்பம் இரண்டானால் 
உறவும் பிரிவும் இரண்டானால் உள்ளம் ஒன்று போதாதே!

That's definitely thought-provoking and would have been nice to read as a poem and ponder over. Unfortunately, these lines were thrown as an attack on my ears by TMS in an unpalatable way (i.e. to me) and I had never bothered to appreciate the poetic nature of it during my youth. Now that I'm older, this couplet is quite interesting Smile

Anyways, the song was a roaring patti-thotti-city-radio-you-name-any-kind-of hit, despite being a sad, depressing, pathos number. 

Thus easily earning its place in this thread Embarassed

குடிப்பதற்கு ஒரு மனம் இருந்தால் அவளை மறந்து விடலாம்
அவளை மறப்பதற்கு ஒரு மனம் இருந்தால் குடித்து விடலாம்  
ஆனால் இருப்பதோ ஒரு மனம்! 
நான் என்ன செய்வேன்?

இரண்டு மனம் வேண்டும் இறைவனிடம் கேட்பேன் 
நினைத்து வாட ஒன்று மறந்து வாழ ஒன்று 
சிறிய காயம் பெரிய துன்பம் ஆறும் முன்னே அடுத்த காயம் 
உடலில் என்றால் மருந்து போதும் உள்ளம் பாவம் என்ன செய்யும்?

இரவும் பகலும் இரண்டானால் இன்பம் துன்பம் இரண்டானால் 
உறவும் பிரிவும் இரண்டானால் உள்ளம் ஒன்று போதாதே!

கண்களின் தண்டனை காட்சி வழி காட்சியின் தண்டனை காதல் வழி 
காதலின் தண்டனை கடவுள் வழி கடவுளைத் தண்டிக்க என்ன வழி?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqAtpVEu5q4

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:34 pm

#36 ஓ மானிட ஜாதியே (வசந்தமாளிகை)

Short two minute song ("western") that talks more about Kavingar's preference than anything else.

Look at the lines, where he compares himself to SUN Smile

ஓ மானிட ஜாதியே!
மனிதர்களே நீங்கள் தேவர்கள் ஆகலாம், மதுவிருந்தால் போதும்!
மங்கையரே நீங்கள் தேவதை ஆகலாம், மனமிருந்தால் போதும்!

மதி இருந்தால் போதும் அன்று மதுவிருந்தால் போதும் இன்று
எது இருந்தால் போதும் ? மதுவிருந்தால் போதும்!

உலகத்தின் வயதுகள் பல கோடி அதில் உருண்டவர் புரண்டவர் பல கோடி
உங்களின் இருப்பிடமோ ஒரு கோடி உயிர் ஓடி விட்டால் பின்னர் வருமோடி? வருமோடி?

மாலையில் சூரியன் குளிக்கின்றது அது மதுவைக் கடலிலே குடிக்கின்றது
காலை வரை குடித்துச் சிவக்கின்றது என் கண்களும் அது போல் இருக்கின்றது! 

எல்லோரும் சூரிய நமஸ்காரம் பண்ணுங்கோ!

That way, kavingar compared himself to sun and wanted everyone to do soorya namaskAr Laughing
(NT too played along, obviously he didn't mind either)

Funny video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muinvAiRN8k

Light hearted song, KVM did a neat job while TMS makes it sound as harsh as possible Embarassed

Thanks to the movie's popularity, this song too had considerable air time those days.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:05 am

#37 அடியம்மா ராஜாத்தி சங்கதி என்ன (வசந்தமாளிகை)

The last song from this album, supposedly a folk / dappAnguththu for the movie where NT played a sophisticated rich man (and thus could not find a place). 

It seems the Telugu original had this song, to satisfy the "dancing craving" of the hero Laughing Well, obviously NT never had such craving and the song could not be accommodated.

There's another reason being told as per this post in a hub thread .

saradha_sn wrote:
வசந்தமாளிகையில் இடம்பெறாமல் போன 'அடியம்மா ராசாத்தி சங்கதி என்ன' பாடல் பற்றிச் சொல்ல வேண்டும். 

ஒருமுறை பிலிமாலயா இதழில் பாலமுருகன் சொல்லியிருந்தார். இப்பாடல் மலைவாழ் மக்களிடையே சிவாஜியும் வாணிஷ்ரீயும் ஆடிப்பாடும் காட்சிக்காக எழுதி இசையமைக்கப்பட்டதாம். பாடலின் இடையே காதலர்கள் பாடிக்கொள்வதுபோன்ற வரிகள் இடம் பெற்றிருந்ததாம். ஆனால் அந்தக்காட்சி வரும் சமயத்தில் சிவாஜிக்கும் வாணிக்கும் இடையில் காதல் உண்டாகியிருக்கவில்லை (அதுவரை 'இளைய ஜமீன்தார் - செக்ரட்டரி' உறவுதான்). சிவாஜிக்காவது வாணி மீது ஒருவித ஈர்ப்பு ஏற்பட்டிருக்கும், ஆனால் வாணிக்கு அப்படி ஒரு எண்ணமே அதுவரை வந்திருக்காது. அந்த சமயத்தில் இந்தப்பாடலை வைத்தால் அபத்தமாக இருக்கும் என்பதாலும், ஏற்கெனவே சிவாஜி பற்றி வாணி இப்படிப்பட்ட காதல் வரிகளைப்பாடிவிட்டால், பின்னர் 'வசந்தமாளிகை கண்ணாடிக்காட்சி'க்கு ("என் இதயத்தில் குடியிருக்கும் அந்த தேவதையைப்பார்க்க வேண்டுமா?. உள்ளே சென்று பார். அங்குதான் அவள் இருக்கிறாள். என் இதயமும் இருக்கிறது") அவ்வளவு எஃபெக்ட் இருக்காது என்று கருதியதாலும், எல்லோரும் முடிவு செய்து இப்பாடலை நீக்கிவிட்டு, அதற்கு பதிலாக வெறும் இசைக்கு ஆடுவதாகக் காட்டிவிட்டார்களாம்.

Regardless, the song was a patti-thotti hit, being placed in the popular album's disc. And poor people like me were forced to hear this number each time our village (or nearby villages) had any kind of function - kalyANam / thiruvizhA etc. Perhaps this song was more popular than all others in villages those days Embarassed

There's a "music only youtube" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tc1dI9h1Hc

The song has some sleazy lines by the kavingar :

அடியம்மா ராஜாத்தி சங்கதி என்ன நீ அங்கேயே நின்னுக்கிட்டா என் கதி என்ன
அடேயப்பா ராசப்பா சங்கதி என்ன நீ ஆசையோடு அணைச்சுக்கிட்டா என் கதி என்ன

தை மாசம் ஆரம்பிச்சு வைகாசி வரையிலே அங்கேயும் இங்கேயும் கை பட்ட காயமே
தாளலையே தாங்கலையே நாலு நாளா அதில் சந்தோஷம் இல்லையின்னா பேசுவாளா?

பொன்னால கோட்டை கட்டி உன்னோட வாழணும் பூப்போட்ட மெத்தையிலே பூராவும் பேசணும் 
எம் மனசு ஏங்குதம்மா என்ன சேதி நீ ஏதாச்சும் தாடியம்மா மிச்சம் மீதி

தண்ணிரில் குளிக்கையிலே கண்ணாலே பார்த்தனே தள்ளாடித்தள்ளாடி தலை கீழா விழுந்தியே
தாங்கினியே வாங்கினியே மெல்ல மெல்ல நீ தந்ததெல்லாம் இப்போ நான் என்ன சொல்ல

There ends the documenting of a very popular commercial KVM album of 70's!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:36 pm

#38 நெருங்கி நெருங்கி (நேற்று இன்று நாளை)

Switching from Sivaji to MGR Smile

Interestingly, this is another case of KVM song released in a MSV disk (seems to be credited to MSV as well, going by a number of websites and the movie titles that miss any mention of KVM). 

Much like the 'mayakkum mAlaippozhudhE nee pO pO' of kooNdukkiLi getting screen space in gulEbagAvali.

This song was recorded for an unreleased movie it seems, by KVM, right at the same time the unreleased vasantha mALigai song got recorded. (#37 அடியம்மா ராஜாத்தி சங்கதி என்ன ,  look at the post above). 

That must have been a special day for KVM - one song not making it to the screen at all and another getting released in a different movie, even getting credited to a different MD.

Well, even a casual listener of 70's TFM can easily certify this song to be a KVM number, going by the keyboard sound alone - in the end of each line of pallavi and the end of saranam Laughing   (Must be courtesy Pugazhendhi).

Even those days as a school boy, with no IR-trained-ears in 1974, I clearly felt this song to be different from the others of the album. (collar lift Laughing )

It is funny to see that even in this era of wikipedia crediting KVM for this song one can find many ignorant fellows on the web crediting this to MSV. (BTW, the movie titles mention him as மெல்லிசை மன்னன் and not மன்னர்)

Well, the song was a patti-thotti hit, possibly due to the MGR tag. PS sounds sweet in this song while TMS is intolerable, typical as per his 70's standards Embarassed

MGR-Latha duet on screen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nvpwjVsAM8

BTW, the song was a favorite to me during early school days - as with everything else connected to MGR Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

The lines are credited to Suratha and he lives up to his "uvamaikkavingar" tag...by throwing a couple of them in the first saraNam Smile

நெருங்கி நெருங்கிப் பழகும் போது நெஞ்சம் ஒன்றாகும்
நிழலும் நிழலும் சேரும் போது இரண்டும் ஒன்றாகும்    

பொன்னைக் காட்ட வேண்டும் என்றால் உன்னைக் காட்டலாம்
உன்னைக் காட்ட வேண்டும் என்றால் ஒளியைக் காட்டலாம்
கண்ணில் இருந்து இதயம் வரையில் காதல் போராட்டம்
கரையில் இருந்து கட்டில் வரையில் பருவத்தேரோட்டம்    

நிலவு நம்மை எட்டிப் பார்க்கும் நேரமல்லவா
நீயும் நானும் கொண்ட காதல் அமுதமல்லவா
தலையை நீட்டும் இந்த நிலவு தலைமை தாங்கட்டும்
தழுவும் போது வீசும் தென்றல் விலகி ஓடட்டும்

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:45 pm

#39 பூந்தேனில் கலந்து (ஏணிப்படிகள்)

Those radio listeners of 70's-80's couldn't have missed this song. It had both SPB & PS solo versions - with almost identical orch, i.e. if one qualifies that as any kind of orch Embarassed  (I believe even small light music groups can imagine better instrumental portions.)

However, the song had catchy melody for pallavi and saranam, so typical of KVM. With some excellent singing by SPB / PS and some simple and catchy pAdal varigaL by kavingar, the song had a lot of air time - even at the time when the IR wave was sweeping away most established brands / forms of music etc.

I used to resent the song getting any air time those days - because it was STEALING precious minutes from the limited time that AIR had for any TFM then, from my dear IR favorites Embarassed  However, IOKS too loved this song and had it often in its program...and I had to give up my resentment (resigning to the fact that, well, people seemed to like this after all...)

So, here I am, documenting this KVM hit from the IR-prime days!

I didn't care those days about who were part of the movie crew...It's both pleasing and saddening to see Shobha on the videos...

The director was P Madhavan who possibly did this movie as a remake from Telugu (wiki says the story was by K Viswanath Smile )

Here is the video of the SPB solo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkOKdbwUX0U

Simple yet interesting pAdal varigaL:

பூந்தேனில் கலந்து பொன் வண்டு எழுந்து
சங்கீதம் படிப்பதென்ன தள்ளாடி நடப்பதென்ன

ஏறாத ஏணி தனில் ஏறி நடப்பாள் நல்லநேரம் வரும்
என்றென்றும் நல்லபுகழ் தன்னை வளர்ப்பாள் அந்தக் காலம் வரும்
அவள் ஆரம்ப நிலையிலும் மீனாக ஜொலிப்பாள் கலை வண்ணத்தாரகை என வருவாள்
அது நடக்கும் என நினைக்கும் மனம் நாள் பார்த்துத் தொடங்கிவிடும்

கட்டான மேனி உண்டு ஆடல் நடத்த வண்ணத்தோகையவள்
சங்கீத ஞானமுண்டு பாடல் நடத்த வானம்பாடியவள்
அவள் பூவிழிச் சிரிப்பினில் பூலோகம் மயங்கும் பொல்லாத புன்னகை கலங்கவைக்கும்
நல்ல புகழும் பெரும் பொருளும் அவள் அடைகின்ற காலம் வரும்

என்னைத் தன் நாதன் என்று சொல்லி மகிழ்வாள் அதில் தயக்கமில்லை
எப்போதும் என் மடியில் துள்ளி விழுவாள் மறு விளக்கமில்லை
அவள் தான் கொண்ட புகழ் என்றும் நான் கொண்ட புகழ்தான் என் நெஞ்சில் வேறெந்த நினைவுமில்லை
இதில் எனக்கும் ஒரு மயக்கம் இது எந்நாளும் குறைவதில்லை

Sounds like this boy hoping to make his girl an actress...

Here is the video of the female solo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVkElHeJuro

pAdal varigaL are not same (but in similar lines) and I'm not too thrilled to write them down Embarassed

Enjoy!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:55 pm

#40 ஏனுங்க மாப்பிள்ளை (ஏணிப்படிகள்)

This is another song from the same Sivakumar-Shobha movie that was frequently on radio those days (obviously irritating me to no end).

Documenting here out of sheer astonishment that people had ALSO loved such songs in the thick of IR era (a song that practically had nothing by way of orch to appreciate, even the melody is ordinary, some not-so-great lines by kavingar etc.) 

Embarassed
Embarassed
Embarassed

Of course SPB & PS have adorable voices and sing the song flawlessly - but the song had absolutely no business IMVSO to have so many broadcasts in 1979 & 1980 when we had so many brilliant IR songs not getting enough radio time!

ஏனுங்க மாப்பிள்ளை என்ன நெனப்பு
இங்க என்னாத்தக் கண்டியோ இந்தச் சிரிப்பு
சிறு பொண்ணு அல்லி மொட்டு சிங்காரச் சின்னச் சிட்டு 
அம்மாடி கண்ணத் தொட்டு மனந்தொட்டு குணந்தொட்டு இடந்தொட்டு வலந்தொட்டு

ஏனடி சின்னம்மா என்ன நெனப்பு 
இங்க என்னாத்தக் கண்டியோ இந்தச் சிரிப்பு 
வயசுல முல்லை மொட்டு வாலிபம் காளைக்கட்டு
அம்மாடி கண்ணத் தொட்டு மனந்தொட்டு குணந்தொட்டு இடந்தொட்டு வலந்தொட்டு

தாமரைக்காலிரண்டும் தண்டையைப் போட்டுக்கிட்டா
சாமத்தில் ஓசை வரும் சங்கீதமா அந்தத்தாளத்தை நீ ரசிப்பே சந்தோஷமா
தாளத்துக்கேத்தபடி ஆடத்தான் நான் பொறந்தேன் ஜதி சொல்ல நீ பொறந்தே சந்தேகமா 
நானும் சுதி கொஞ்சம் சேர்த்துக்கிட்டேன் சந்தோஷமா
புல்லாலே மஞ்சம் போட்டு பூ மெத்தை மேலே போட்டு 
நல்லாத்தான் கடவுள் வச்சான் நடக்கட்டும் நடக்கட்டும் நமக்குள்ளே இருக்கட்டும்

கோழிக்குச் சேவல் சொந்தம் குயிலுக்கு ஜோடி சொந்தம்
ஆணுக்குப் பொண்ணு சொந்தம் பல காலமா
நாமும் அவசரச்சொந்தம் கொண்டோம் சில காலமா
பல்லாக்கு உடம்பக்கண்டு பளபளக்கன்னங்கண்டு
சும்மாவா நானிருப்பேன் சரிதானம்மா என்னை சொர்க்கத்தில் கொண்டு செல்ல வருவாயம்மா
நான் ரொம்ப புதுசு மச்சான் வயசுல சிறிசு மச்சான்
நீ கொஞ்சம் சொல்லித் தந்தா நடக்கிறேன் சிரிக்கிறேன் அணைக்கிறேன் ரசிக்கிறேன்

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iKa5vOGRCg

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:07 pm

#41 ஒன்றே குலமென்று பாடுவோம் (பல்லாண்டு வாழ்க)

Switching to another movie of my schooldays (1975) when I was still an admirer of MGR. (And thus the song had a lot of "looking-forward-to" kind of listens on radio and elsewhere).

The song is still a hot favorite - I simply love both the melody and KJY in this number. On top of these, the orch is not as offending as in the case of many other KVM numbers of 70's. (Actually, one of those very few KVM songs where it is not easy to identify Mr Pugazhendhi Laughing ). Even the interludes are enjoyable.

By this time MGR was running his own party, even won a couple of by-elections and was on his way to becoming a formidable political power. All the movie songs were then vehicles for his propaganda and this song is no exception. There's direct reference of CNA in the 3rd saraNam. (pAdal varigaL by Pulamaippiththan)

The two thirukkuRaLs that are coming as thogaiyaRA too get a nice melody by KVM the clap

அன்பிலார் எல்லாம் தமக்குரியர் அன்புடையார்
என்பும் உரியர் பிறர்க்கு 

தெய்வத்தான் ஆகாதெனினும் முயற்சி தன்  
மெய்வருத்தக் கூலி தரும் 

ஒன்றே குலமென்று பாடுவோம்
ஒருவனே தேவன் என்று போற்றுவோம்
அன்னை இதயமாக அன்பு வடிவமாக
வந்து வழிகாட்ட வேண்டுமென்று வணங்குவோம்

கடவுளிலே கருணை தன்னைக் காணலாம்
அந்தக் கருணையிலே கடவுளையும் காணலாம்
நல்ல மனசாட்சியே தேவன் அரசாட்சியாம்
அங்கு ஒரு போதும் மறையாது அவன் காட்சியாம்

பாவமென்ற கல்லறைக்குப் பலவழி
என்றும் தர்மதேவன் கோவிலுக்கு ஒரு வழி
இந்த வழி ஒன்றுதான் எங்கள் வழி என்று நாம்
நேர்மை ஒரு நாளும் தவறாமல் நடை போடுவோம் 

இதயதெய்வம் நமது அண்ணா தோன்றினார்
அவர் என்றும் வாழும் கொள்கை தீபம் ஏற்றினார்
அந்த ஒளி காணலாம் சொன்ன வழி போகலாம்
நாளை வரலாறு நமக்காக உருவாகலாம்

I don't think I've seen the movie (not very sure).  It is supposedly a HORRIBLE remake of the Shantha Ram Hindi classic 'dhO AnkEn bArA hAth' (two eyes and twelve hands). Going by the video of the song, the movie was possibly intolerable for people to sit thru.  (However, per comments by my college mates, Latha more than made up for such deficiencies in the other songs...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPMrQXfSJF0

I don't have to qualify - this song was a patti-thotti hit in TN.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:06 pm

#42 இன்று சொர்க்கத்தின் திறப்பு விழா (பல்லாண்டு வாழ்க)

Some of the 70's duets - I mean non-IR - that had KJY-VJ were so enjoyable and are personal favourites to this day! 

andha mAnaippArungaL azhagu
ninaivAlE silai seydhu unakkAga vaiththEn
iRaivan iraNdu bommaigaL seydhAn
idhu iravA pagalA

While this MGR song may not be able to make it to that club - mainly because of the offensive orch - I still consider this as extremely listenable, thanks to the sweet melody and the impressive singer pair!

The melody and singing are so enjoyable especially in the first 2 lines of the first saraNam (மேகம் அசைந்தும் தவழ்ந்தும் விளையாடும் வானத்திலே ஆடை கலைந்தும் சரிந்தும் உறவாடும் நேரத்திலே) where the "AhAra swarams" (AlAp?) are so enjoyable! KVM batting on his favorite pitch! 

OTOH, the orch is so irritating. One main reason I could not enjoy the song, even in the pre-IR days when the listening taste wasn't really developed yet!  Smile

Well, what could KVM do with a severely limited talent like Pugazhendi? Embarassed Embarassed Even for a MGR movie, they could not come up with something better - where money resources / getting instrumentalists should not have been a big deal at all! I think KVM tried to salvage it by getting KJY-VJ do some humming for the second interlude...however, the song overall sounds so cheap as if the orch were by some village drama troop!

Pulamaipiththan was the lyricist and the lines don't bother to hide the bedroom intentions - straight (some of my relatives considered it vulgar during that time period! Embarassed Embarassed )

இன்று சொர்க்கத்தின் திறப்பு விழா
புதுச்சோலைக்கு வசந்த விழா
பக்கத்தில் பருவ நிலா இளமை தரும் இனிய பலா
பார்க்கட்டும் இன்ப உலா

மேகம் அசைந்தும் தவழ்ந்தும் விளையாடும் வானத்திலே
ஆடை கலைந்தும் சரிந்தும் உறவாடும் நேரத்திலே
தூங்காமல் நின்றேங்கும் மலர் விழிகள்
இன்பம் தாங்காமல் தள்ளாடும் இளங்கிளிகள்
உயிரோடு உயிராய் ஒன்றாகி நிற்கும்
உள்ளங்கள் பேசட்டும் புது மொழிகள் புது மொழிகள் புது மொழிகள்

பூவைத்திறந்தும் நுழைந்தும் ஒரு வண்டு பாடியது
தேனில் நனைந்தும் குளிர்ந்தும் மலர் காற்றில் ஆடியது
இளவேனில் காலத்தில் திருமணமோ?
இனி எப்போதும் வாராத நறுமணமோ?
பூவென்ன பூவோ? வண்டென்ன வண்டோ?
சொல்லாமல் சொல்கின்ற கதை இதுவோ? கதை இதுவோ? கதை இதுவோ?

There is only a 2 min video on youtube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwJN0EnetUg

If one wants to listen to the whole song, please go to this link: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY92zlTPS4c

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:26 pm

#43 என்ன சுகம் என்ன சுகம் (பல்லாண்டு வாழ்க)

PS brings such sweetness to this song! (That was, kind of, missing in the previous VJ number) Smile  

KJY is obviously terrific as well!

The orchestration is not as irritating as in many KVM songs of that time period. Personally, I even find the percussion sounds enjoyable! Then there are some KVM-ish veeNai indulgences here and there & those remind one of vasantha mALigai songs. 
(Actually, the whole song sounds like another number from vasantha mALigai, except that there's no TMS shouting Laughing )

Pulamaippiththan in a much better form here. The first saraNam is terrific with some lovely uvamaikaL. 

However, as the song moves to second saraNam, the double meaning bad habit kick in and the song becomes somewhat lewd Embarassed The same thing continues in the third saraNam (this saraNam was possibly missing in disk and hence rarely heard - don't remember hearing that part on radio at all).

என்ன சுகம் என்ன சுகம்
உன்னிடம் நான் கண்ட சுகம்

ஓரிடம் பார்த்த விழி வேறிடம் பார்ப்பதில்லை
உன்னிடம் வந்த மனம் என்னிடம் சேரவில்லை
மானிடம் பெற்ற விழி மதியிடம் பெற்ற முகம்
தேனிடம் கற்ற மொழி தேரிடம் கற்ற நடை
எழுதாக்கவிதை இவள் தான் அடடா

சந்தன மேனிகளின் சங்கம வேளையிலே
சிந்திய முத்துக்களை சேர்த்திடும் காலம் இது
தேன்கனிக்கோட்டையிலே சிற்றிடை வாசலிலே
தோரண மேகலையில் தோன்றிய கோலமிது

மார்கழி நள்ளிரவில் மங்கிய வெண்ணிலவில் 
கார்குழல் சீர்திருத்தி கைகளில் சேர்த்தணைத்து 
மங்கையின் நெஞ்சினிலே மன்மதன் நீ எழுதும் 
குங்குமக் கோலங்களில் மங்கள வண்ணங்களை 
மறைவாய் ரசித்தேன் எதையோ நினைத்தேன்

KVM does a nice job (there's even mild variation to the second saraNam, often done by him in the prior decade - and very enjoyable).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YJyN7n-5rM

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:39 am

#44 போய் வா நதியலையே (பல்லாண்டு வாழ்க)

The case of the female singer of this song, T K Kala, should be an interesting study Wink

She had sung first in Kunnakkudi Vaidyanathan's music (song : the very famous "thAyiRchiRantha kOyilum illai, thandhai sol mikka mandhiram illai" from the APN film agaththiyar - perhaps the first one he did without KVM). Though the film had her singing for a young boy who still had a feminine voice and also lists her as "selvi" (supposedly only a teenager at that time), her voice sounds almost like T K SundarambAL Laughing

Her mother was a film actress (Shanmugasundari). Which supposedly got her initial opportunities - including stage singing, that included a wedding that MGR attended and reportedly paid rapt attention for a couple of hours. (I don't know what mesmerized him)

Well, with MGR's reco, KVM had no choice but to make her sing this song (which of course was a big hit, thanks to the melody / MGR tag / KJY lead etc).

She didn't get too many opportunities in 70's despite this hit song. (The numbers she sang in 70's movies can be counted using one person's fingers).

Maestro IR, who dominated from late 70's onwards, didn't use the voice for ANY song. I mean not one song!

However, all of a sudden, ARR - who hardly cares to use such one-off-singers-who-were-oldies repeatedly, gives her REPEAT opportunities!!! (dooyat, thAjmahAlu etc)

Also, she has become suddenly known as an on-screen-lady! Even claims to have an industry presence for four decades (supposedly did the hero's mom role in the recent "I")...

Well, never liked her voice in this song (or any other sung by her) but I must admit that the song was a bit hit and immensely popular Embarassed

Here's the youtube:

Audio is poor on that youtube but much better in this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmRgDZ1QPW4

Na Kamarasan's lyrics :

போய் வா நதியலையே இவள் பூச்சூடும் நாள் பார்த்து வா 
வா வா நதியலையே ஏழை பூமிக்கு நீர் கொண்டு வா 

கனி தூங்கும் தோட்டம் முகம் போட்ட கோலம் 
பனி வாடைக்காலம் உனைக்காண வேண்டும் 
நிலவென்னும் ஓடம் கரை சேரும் நேரம் 
மழைக்கூந்தல் ஓரம் இளைப்பாற வேண்டும்
இது போதும் என்று தடுமாறி இடம்மாறி மாறி சுகம் தேடி 
உறவாடும் போது சரிபாதி ஆகி உயிர் காணும் இன்பம் பல கோடி 

நுரைப்பூவை அள்ளி அலைசிந்த வேண்டும் 
அலை மீது கொஞ்சம் தலை சாய வேண்டும் 
வசந்தத்தை வென்று வரும் உன்னைக்கண்டு 
மழை வில்லில் வண்ணம் வரைகின்ற வானம் 
மெதுவாக வந்து இதழ் மூடி பதமாக அன்பு நதியோடி 
மண மேடை கண்டு புது மாலை சூடிக் குலமங்கை வாழ்க நலம் பாடி

Last edited by app_engine on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:02 pm

As I mentioned in twitter, when this song was featured in dhool.com, OISG commented thus:
"TK Kala sang pOi vA nadhi alaiyE. Kaveri went back to Karnataka never to return to TN afterwards" rotfl

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:35 pm

Also the go to song for Na Kamarasan to slander Kannadasan. Too bad none of his interviews are online as videos. BandhobasthA will speak about challenging Kannadasan and Kannadasan having no reply to his self-proclaimed 'genius' and quote from this song as the singular proof of his genius which Kannadasan can never match laugh such bitterness, much entertainment.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:25 pm

#45 மாசி மாசக் கடைசியிலே (பல்லாண்டு வாழ்க)

For whatever reason, TFM lyricists often use month names to start pallavi of songs. (There are songs with siththirai, vaikAsi, Adi, kArthigai, mArgazhi, thai that I can quickly recall, besides mAsi mAsam ALAna poNNu & mAsi mAsam dhAn ketti mELa thALam dhAn - two Rajini songs).

This MGR-brand mAsi mAsa song was apparently written by Pulamaippiththan and KVM chose to render it in north-indies style folk. (Those days of pre-IR).

VJ was trying to get into numero uno position in this period and was giving PS some fight - alas, only to be severely cut short in standing by the SJ tsunami in a few years!

Only a portion of the song is on this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6uGEMnvFOM

To listen to the whole song, please go to the sarigama youtube :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ZL97evnKE

The song had sufficient radio time as well as patti-thotti kOlAmbi time, simply because of MGR-tag. I never liked the kottankuchchi violin sounds that KVM tried in this number - total reject for me Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

மாசி மாசக் கடைசியிலே மச்சான் வந்தாரு 
பங்குனி மாசம் பாக்கு வச்சுப் பரிசம் போட்டாரு 

ஆத்துப்பக்கம் தோப்புப்பக்கம் சந்திக்கச் சொன்னாரு 
அடி அக்கம் பக்கம் மெதுவாப்பாத்து என்னையும் பாத்தாரு 
போதும் மட்டும் கூந்தல் மட்டும் கண்ணில் அளந்தாரு    
ஒரு பச்சப்புள்ளயப் போலே அள்ளி நெஞ்சில வச்சாரு 
அம்மம்மா வச்சாரு ஆசையிலே புடிச்சாரு அர்த்தத்தோட சிரிச்சாரு 

கட்டித்தங்கம் மேனி என்னைக் கட்டி அணைச்சாரு 
நான் கட்டிக்கொண்ட சேலைய மெல்லத்தொட்டு இழுத்தாரு 
அச்சப்பட்டு நாணப்பட்டு நிக்கிற வேளையிலே 
அவர் ஆசப்பட்டு ஒண்ணே ஒண்ணு தந்திடச் சொன்னாரு 
அம்மம்மா சொன்னாரு ஒண்ணு மட்டுமா கொடுத்தேன் உள்ளத்தையே தான் கொடுத்தேன்

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum