Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maestro Ilayaraaja's Classics With Mandolin U Shrinivas

+3
app_engine
V_S
Drunkenmunk
7 posters

Go down

Maestro Ilayaraaja's Classics With Mandolin U Shrinivas Empty Maestro Ilayaraaja's Classics With Mandolin U Shrinivas

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:37 am

Mandolin Shrinivas no more. Child prodigy, brought Mandolin to the world map, finest Mandolin player in ages, a talent for the ages. RIP. It is shocking. Just now coming out of denial. Mild grief now.

My humble tribute. 2 tracks I could upload from IR's aforementioned album which had Mandolin Shrinivas playing when he was about 25 yrs.

Shri Shivasutha:

Arul Thavazhum:

Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Maestro Ilayaraaja's Classics With Mandolin U Shrinivas Empty Re: Maestro Ilayaraaja's Classics With Mandolin U Shrinivas

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:11 pm

Uploaded another krithi from the same album, Eka Dhantham:

Raagam Raaja Lahari, a discovery of Raaja.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Maestro Ilayaraaja's Classics With Mandolin U Shrinivas Empty Re: Maestro Ilayaraaja's Classics With Mandolin U Shrinivas

Post  V_S Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:05 pm

Shocked and saddened to hear this news. I went to his concert last fall when he came to our town. Still remember his smiling face as he plays the mandolin. Extra-ordinary talent gone too soon. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:27 pm

Dad's partner's nephew is into marketing CDs of dramas and Carnatic albums. He kinda knew Srinivas. Apparently it was a blood related genetic disorder which led to liver failure and subsequently required a transplant which failed leading to a multi-organ failure.

A full Obituary section from The Hindu. Has all the relevant news:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/obituary-mandolin-u-shrinivas/article6426381.ece?homepage=true
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:32 pm

Sad to learn that such a talented musician dies at such young age Sad

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:08 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:Dad's partner's nephew is into marketing CDs of dramas and Carnatic albums. He kinda knew Srinivas. Apparently it was a blood related genetic disorder which led to liver failure and subsequently required a transplant which failed leading to a multi-organ failure.

A full Obituary section from The Hindu. Has all the relevant news:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/obituary-mandolin-u-shrinivas/article6426381.ece?homepage=true
GOD gives and then takes em away..its a sad world of mediocrity when the hope in something greater is provided by such talents only to make us feel even worser when they depart.A rather cruel design..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:50 am

Thanks for this thread, Munk. A great loss for the Carnatic community in particular and the Indian music fraternity at large. Condolences to his family and hope his students carry the torch forward.

On the Krithis themselves, I have heard them a couple of times before and might have even shared the raaga.com links here before. As Munk and I discussed online,  IR can stake a pretty good claim to being an accomplished Vaagyekaara in his own right. As I also pointed, I still feel it is not fair to compare IR's (or anyone else's) carnatic compositions to the unsurpassed transcendence of Dikshitar's best viz the Kamalamba Navavarna Krithis, but one could make a well-argued case for him being a "Kutti Thyagarajar" as some gifted Carnatic musicians have called him. Dikshitar is, well...simply another level (as far as carnatic music is concerned).

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:08 am

Still unable to digest the news.  By some quirk of fate, I lost one of my chinna paatis also on Thursday only.  In hindsight, I feel glad I went to see him along with Zakir Hussain and McLaughlin when Shakti toured, what, a couple of years back.  Little did I know then that it would be the last time (for me).   Sad

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:41 am

I imagine and hope that he is in a better place somewhere, happy and jamming with the likes of John Lennon and Jimi Hendrix

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down