Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  fring151 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:52 am

Discuss.

fring151

Posts : 1090
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2013-04-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  fring151 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:10 am

Since it is always more interesting to start from the bottom, let us look at Telephone maNippOl. Nominally, these are the "lyrics" for the pallavi. I was thinking of typing the words in thamizh, but soon realized it isn't worth the effort. Here goes:

Telephone Manipoal Sirippaval Ivalaa
Melbourne Malarpoal Melliya Magalaa
Digital'il Sethukkiya Kuralaa
Elizabeth Taylor Magalaa
Zakir Hussain Thabalaa Ivalthaanaa
Sona Sona Ival Angam Thangam Thaanaa
Sonaa Sonaa Ival Latest Cellular Phone'naa
Computer Kondivalai Antha Bhramman Padaithaanaa

Anyone reading this will rapidly come to the conclusion that there is a clear pattern to the first 4 lines - namely, each one is exponentially more nonsensical than the one preceding it. Actually, I take that back. As I try to decode these lyrics, I am stuck at line 2. Just what exactly the fuck is so special about "Melbourne malar", I will never know. Digital'il sedhukkiya kural is equally dubious, both grammatically and semantically   And Zakir Hussain tabla? Seriously? Does the maestro know about this? The only positive in this ludicrous gobbledegook of a stanza is Vairam's futuristic allusion to cellular phones and computers.

fring151

Posts : 1090
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2013-04-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  Drunkenmunk on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:14 am

Fring,

Bwahahahahaha. Whattay!

Sundari Siru Irattai Vaal Sundari. Film for which Diamondu got National Award for Oru Deivam Thandha Poove. But Sundari has some uvaack uvamais. Check this out:

இவளை நாளை மணக்க போகும் அசடு என்ன பாடு படுவான்?
அவள் பாதம் கழுவும் நீரில் சமையல் செய்வான், ஓஹோஹோஹோஓஹோஹோ.

And Anbe Anbe Kollaadhe from Jeans. Other than the 50 kg Tajmahal goodhal, there is this gem from Anbe Anbe:

தேவதை குளித்த துளிகளை அள்ளி, தீர்த்தம் என்றே நான் குடிப்பேன். Ewwwww. idhellaam creativity aa?

Most films ku oru pAttu nalla arumaiya ezhudhittu enna pEchu glory revival paththi, reskils.

But highs I have to mention to stay unbiased (adhAvadhu 100 varudathukku appuram varappOgum arivALigaLukku). Uyire and Kizhakku Chemmaiyile are 2 outstanding albums from ARR-VM combo. Be it the kaatchi azhagu of இரு பூக்கள் கிளை மேலே, ஒரு புயலோ மலை மேலே, or the Sufi strains of surrender in என் ஆறடி உயரத்தை அபகரித்தாய், உன் காலடியில் என்னை பணிய வைத்தாய், I'd say it was a creative peak for VM. Maybe one of the days when I have time, I'll share a write up I once twitlongered with our Aravind Mano's (whose favorite too is Uyire from this combo) twitlonger Smile

Drunkenmunk

Posts : 1230
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2013-05-01
Age : 28
Location : Chennai

View user profile http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  fring151 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:30 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:இவளை நாளை மணக்க போகும் அசடு என்ன பாடு படுவான்?
அவள் பாதம் கழுவும் நீரில் சமையல் செய்வான், ஓஹோஹோஹோஓஹோஹோ.

And Anbe Anbe Kollaadhe from Jeans. Other than the 50 kg Tajmahal goodhal, there is this gem from Anbe Anbe:

தேவதை குளித்த துளிகளை அள்ளி, தீர்த்தம் என்றே நான் குடிப்பேன். Ewwwww. idhellaam creativity aa?

Some seriously gross stuff there.

Also, the "Adhisayam" song has some great lyrics, but features some equally infantile aacharyams - 

ஒரு வாசமில்லாக் கிளையின் மேல் நறுவாசமுள்ள பூவைப்பார் பூவாசம் அதிசயமே
மின்சாரம் இல்லாமல் மிதக்கின்ற தீபம்போல் மேனி கொண்ட மின்மினிகள் அதிசயமே

Ok, right. Ondraful stuff. Then between the above 2 lines, we have

அலைக்கடல் தந்த மேகத்தில் துளிக்கூட உப்பில்லை மழை நீரும் அதிசயமே

Err, it's called evaporation, genius.

fring151

Posts : 1090
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2013-04-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  Drunkenmunk on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:19 am

LOL Fring!

Ok Highs.

Thoughts on Uyire. From Aravind Mano:

http://twitlonger.com/show/gc4g1o

Aravind Mano wrote: "உன் துன்பம் என்பது வரவு” is the line that caught my attention this evening and pulled me to the soundtrack of Uyire. It's hidden somewhere in சந்தோஷக்கண்ணீரே. It hangs there without any further explanation. Yet I couldn't discard it as fillers. Vairamuthu's lines are rich, picturesque, abstract and evocative beautifully highlighting the terrific film and the score.

மேடையிலே அவர் ஏறி நின்று கம்பீரமாக ஒரு விரலை ஆணித்தரமாக அசைத்து அசைத்து பெருமையுடன் சொல்லக்கூடிய வரிகள் பல உண்டு என்றாலும் (கல்லொன்று தடை செய்த போதும் / புல்லொன்று புது வேர்கள் போடும்), கவர்பவை பிற ஏராளமான சொல்லாடல்கள்.

இரு பூக்கள் கிளை மேலே / ஒரு புயலோ மலை மேலே / உயிராடும் திகிலாலே could be the best way to open that song. அந்த அபத்திரம், அபாயம். You also get a lovely ஒரு மலையில் நான் கண்ட மாணிக்கமா in a song that is no way connected to the story, இருந்தும் காட்சி அழகு.

ஒரு தண்டவாள ரயில் / பாடிப்போன குயில் gets both the meter and the imagination right but still he enhances the scene with பாடிப்போன குரல் கரைவதில்லை / அது பாடிப் போன குரல் கரைவதில்லை. ’என் ஆறடி உயரத்தை அபகரித்தாய்’ என்பதில் சொல்லப்படுகிற பெருமையும் சரணடைதலும். அழகின் கதகதப்பை வார்த்தையில் கொண்டு வருவது.

ஓரப்பார்வை வீசுவான் / உயிரின் கயிறில் அவிழ்குமே என்பதில் இருக்கிற சுவாரசிய முடிச்சு. அல்லது தேகத்தங்கம் என்ற உருவ உருவகம். The colourful சிவந்ததே என் மஞ்சளே. Or the way he de-ornaments the intentions behind குங்குமம் ஏன் சூடினேன் / கூரைப்பட்டு ஏன் உடுத்தினேன் / மங்கை கூந்தல் மலர்கள் எதற்கு.

If you get past the brilliant opening lines of பூங்காற்றிலே உன் சுவாசத்தை (which Gulzar found impossible to say in such short space, I hear), you get வானம் எங்கும் உன் பிம்பம் / ஆனால் கையில் சேரவில்லை. Not an unusual scene for the mind, yet the way you pack it in a tune. காற்றின் அலைவரிசை கேட்கிறதா என்ற கேள்வி வானொலியில் காதலியைத் தேடுகிற காட்சிக்கு சம்பிரதாயமானது எனினும் அது தனித்து நின்றும் தரும் அழகு. One of his old thoughts ஈரமுள்ள கண்ணில் தூக்கமில்லை பெண்ணே is beautifully refined as கண்ணில் ஒரு வலி இருந்தால் / கனவுகள் வருவதில்லை.


Though he succumbs to his pet idea of making the entire lyrics as an extended idea and thus tiring, like கண்ணுக்கு மை அழகு or குளிச்சா குத்தாலம், என்னுயிரே என்னுயிரே provides some lovely lines. கண்கள் தாண்டிப் போகாதே holds a dream inside it, என் உடல் வழி அமிர்தம் வழிகிறதோ is suggestive but என் உயிர் மட்டும் புதுவித வலி கண்டதோ makes the pain absolute. And climax-ing it with மரணம் தான் ஏழுநிலை.

The way he desicively and simply puts it , ஒரு பெண்ணில் மோகம் உண்டு / அதில் பருவத்தாபம் உண்டு / பேராசைத் தீயும் உண்டு / ஏன் உன்னை ஒளித்தாய் இன்று. The butterfly dreams, கண்ணைச் சுற்றும் கனவு.

Or just the pleasure of singing சந்தோஷக் கண்ணீரே, two carefully chosen lovely words together. The best that a lyricist could provide you.

I am: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rkta15

I wrote: @aravindmano Fabulous! Must confess I've not paid attention to the Tamil version as much as the Hindi version. Shall agree that this is right up there among Vairamuthu's best for ARR.

To me, a strain of Sufi thoughts permeate the album. Be it இங்கு நான் என்ற ஆணவம் அழிய வைத்தாய், என் ஆறடி உயரத்தை அபகரித்தாய் or the lines in EnnuyirE which kind of lead an almost Advaitic strain of thought with உன்னில் என்னை குழைத்தேன் and the various stages of love from duality to non-duality. Coming from an atheist, who'd have thunk!

The creativity sparkles too, with "வான் நிலா நாணுமே முகில் எடுத்து கண் மூடுமே." almost evoking a வரும் வழியில் பனி மழையில் பருவ நிலா தினம் நனையும், முகில் எடுத்து முகம் துடைத்து விடியும் வரை நடை பழகும் in Ilaya Nila more than a decade back. The moon then as a playful child and now as a shy lover. The range in this album is quite fascinating.

What beautiful paradoxes too with ஒரு மௌன வார்த்தை சொல் சொல்! coming almost close to Kannadasan's சொல்லாத சொல்லுக்கு விலையேதும் இல்லை (not quite but still).

I'm not a huge fan of Vairamuthu (Kannadasan has spoilt me Razz) but Uyire is up there. Every song is a peach.

Drunkenmunk

Posts : 1230
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2013-05-01
Age : 28
Location : Chennai

View user profile http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  Bala (Karthik) on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:44 am

Not a "lyrical" at all but Usure fails Plum's osai nayam test.

Bala (Karthik)

Posts : 411
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-10-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  Drunkenmunk on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:45 am

Bala (Karthik) wrote:Not a "lyrical" at all but Usure fails Plum's osai nayam test.

Agree. Osai nayam illa. But regardless, a creative peak for VM nu sollalaam.

Drunkenmunk

Posts : 1230
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2013-05-01
Age : 28
Location : Chennai

View user profile http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  Drunkenmunk on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:47 pm

Maintaining balance.

Thathi aadudhE thaavi aadudhE thathaiyoda nenju, En Swasakatre.

adhula sila lines:

ida odhukkeedu unakaaga idai seivadhu
endhan aadai neeyallava
ida odhukkeedu enakkaaga iNai seivadhu
andha rAthiri pozhudhallavA
unnil uruvaana aasaigal en anbe
andha vengaaya vilai pOla irangaadhadhu.

Chillallava Chillallava Kadhal Niagra.
Uyir Kadhalai Thoondave Vendaam Viagra.

arumaiyaana kavidhai, arumaiyaa Tamizha vaazha vechaanga.

Drunkenmunk

Posts : 1230
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2013-05-01
Age : 28
Location : Chennai

View user profile http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  fring151 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:45 am

[quote="Drunkenmunk"]Maintaining balance.

Thathi aadudhE thaavi aadudhE thathaiyoda nenju, En Swasakatre.

adhula sila lines:

ida odhukkeedu unakaaga idai seivadhu
endhan aadai neeyallava
ida odhukkeedu enakkaaga iNai seivadhu
andha rAthiri pozhudhallavA
unnil uruvaana aasaigal en anbe
andha vengaaya vilai pOla irangaadhadhu.

Chillallava Chillallava Kadhal Niagra.
Uyir Kadhalai Thoondave Vendaam Viagra.

arumaiyaana kavidhai, arumaiyaa Tamizha vaazha vechaanga.[/quote]

Lol. I had never heard the Tamil version before. VM paNNa attuzhiyangaL ondrA reNdA. Ida odhhukkeedu, vengaaya vilai? Wtf man seriously. I can never listen to this song again in Tamil, ever!

fring151

Posts : 1090
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2013-04-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  Drunkenmunk on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:04 pm

^^My bad Fring. Turns out that song alone is Vaali. Rest of songs including referencing Sanga Thamizh are through VM. Mistake aaga pOguthundhi :-| Apologies.

But even then, Munbe Vaa level'ukku IR-Vaali'aala kudukka mudiyumA nu kEkkara andha gumbal konjam mEl ezhundhu idhayin kEttuttu vara vENum.

And Jumbalakka Jumbalakka (VM this time) from the same film:

Apart from the groundbreaking Tamil in Jumbalakka Jumbalakka Jumbala Jumbaale, it has a few more gems.

Apple endru thottu pArthAl, Pineapple AnAi kaNNE.
AaN idhayathin kari thEdi alainginRa peNNukku eepeeko section enna.

Kadhal ellAm mEgam pOlE, thannAlE uNdAgaNum (err, same evaporation logic odhaching here).
avaL pAdhathil thalai vaithu aNNandhu mugam pArthu love pichai kEttu pAru.

wah re wah!

Drunkenmunk

Posts : 1230
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2013-05-01
Age : 28
Location : Chennai

View user profile http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  fring151 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:47 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:^^My bad Fring. Turns out that song alone is Vaali. Rest of songs including referencing Sanga Thamizh are through VM. Mistake aaga pOguthundhi :-| Apologies.

Ah, I see. Of course, not that Vaali has never scraped the bottom of the barrel. Only VM does it with even more unfailing consistency and thusly deserves more attention on that count.

Drnkenmunk wrote:Kadhal ellAm mEgam pOlE, thannAlE uNdAgaNum (err, same evaporation logic odhaching here).

Now, I seriously think he is confused about this.

fring151

Posts : 1090
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2013-04-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  fring151 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:57 am

koakilamae nee kural koduththaal unaik kumbittuk kannadippaen
goapuramae unaich chaayththukkondu undhan koondhalil meen pidippaen
vennilavae unaith thoongavaikka undhan viralukku sodukkeduppaen
varudavarum poongaatraiyellaam konjam vadikatti anuppivaippaen -
enkaadhalin thaevaiyai kaadukkul oadhivaippaen -
unkaaladi ezhudhiya koalangal pudhukkavidhaigal enruraippaen


Can someone explain what's going on here?

fring151

Posts : 1090
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2013-04-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  Drunkenmunk on Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:18 pm

fring151 wrote:koakilamae nee kural koduththaal unaik kumbittuk kannadippaen
goapuramae unaich chaayththukkondu undhan koondhalil meen pidippaen
vennilavae unaith thoongavaikka undhan viralukku sodukkeduppaen
varudavarum poongaatraiyellaam konjam vadikatti anuppivaippaen -
enkaadhalin thaevaiyai kaadukkul oadhivaippaen -
unkaaladi ezhudhiya koalangal pudhukkavidhaigal enruraippaen
Can someone explain what's going on here?

I will fall at your feet and ogle at you  LOL 
I will displace you, my tower (erm...), and shall fish in your hair (mavane konjam miss aagi undhan koondhalil paen pidippen nu esagu pisagu aayirukkaNum)
Ye white moon to make you sleep, I shall take soduk in your fingers
All the breeze that comes to caress, I'll filter it and send
My wants of lou, I'll preach inside the ears
The kolams drawn by your feet, I'll announce them to be poems  cool3 

In other words, Pulamaipithan's மணல்வெளி யாவும் இருவரின் பாதம், நடந்ததை காற்றே மறைக்காதே beats this hands down (similar yeng lovezhs love song situation, so comparable imo).

btw, this song from the ARR-VM stable. Thothapuram, Godfather.

Dinam dinam dinam Deepavali
ungal thiruvizhigalil pushpangali

Idhu thothapuram doi
Thotta chini chakara doi
Vandha maapilai ku virunda paaru oyi
Iva naatu kozhi kaavala
Ila kaatu kozhi kaavala
Ikkada kozhi paNNa irukkumaavayya.

Sondhapuram pOnA sathuNavu dhaaNdi
Andhapuram vandhOm enna tharuva seeNdi?
Maamiaaru vettu maja maja maja maajavukku
naanga guarantee.
(I mean WTF is this sondhapuram, andhapuram and sathuNavu business?)

Ocharu ocharu ocharu babu gaaru
Iva osaram paathu koduppAr Benz caru
Ninna oru sugamum konjam kavundhA oru sogamum
Pala vidhamA kudupeeha verenna kudupeeha?

Veralil sulukkeduppOm
Onga nagathil azhukkeduppOm (eww... gross)
Buthi mayangi kidapeeha
MarunAL theliveeha.

Muruku muruku sarakil irukku murukku
Unakum enakum pazhaya kanakku irukku

Madichi thandha vethala
Konjam sevakKa villai paaru..
Naan kadichi thandha vethala
Romba sevakkum itha podu (ewww)

And the second charanam nosedives to a further abyss that you may look it up online.

Also, on what you asked about VM's osai nayam fail. One example that strikes me. Kai Thottu Thottu AzhaithaaLE, Jodi. Reused from the Hindi song for Doli Saja Ke Rakhna. Big hit. But look at the lyrics. No obvious sotha kadalai nonsense like "ungaL nagaththil azhukkeduppOm" but the charanam where the tune changes to a most saccharine, sweet one, the lyrics (the first charanam just pass for osai nayam but for the final word, iNaithu vittAL where vittAL has to be fit with the concluding musical phrase and gets dragged mercilessly but the second charanam is utter fail):

pAl vaNNa nilaveduththu
pAr kadalil pala murai salavai seidhu
peNNuruvAy pirandhavaL avaL dhAnO?
en kavidhaigaLil kaN malarndhavaLO?
en mounangaLai mozhipeyarthavaLO? (mozhipeyarppu is a single word meaning translation. But to fit in the tune here, it sits awkwardly as mozhipeyar<pause>thavaLO and can be construed as either mozhipeyarthavaLO or mozhi peyarthavaLO (one who peyartheduthufied the mozhi LOL )
azhagai thaththeduththavaLO?
en uyir malarai thaththarithavaLO? (more violence LOL )

Drunkenmunk

Posts : 1230
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2013-05-01
Age : 28
Location : Chennai

View user profile http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  fring151 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:04 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:I will fall at your feet and ogle at you   
I will displace you, my tower (erm...), and shall fish in your hair (mavane konjam miss aagi undhan koondhalil paen pidippen nu esagu pisagu aayirukkaNum)
Ye white moon to make you sleep, I shall take soduk in your fingers
All the breeze that comes to caress, I'll filter it and send
My wants of lou, I'll preach inside the ears
The kolams drawn by your feet, I'll announce them to be poems   

In other words, Pulamaipithan's மணல்வெளி யாவும் இருவரின் பாதம், நடந்ததை காற்றே மறைக்காதே beats this hands down (similar yeng lovezhs love song situation, so comparable imo).

 lol! .

Lovely attempt at translating the untranslatable. Precisely my point. Absolutely none of those lines makes any sense at all. And it cannot even be forgiven on the grounds that it creates some 'feel' or 'mood' as the meanings are just plain gross. Fish in the hair? Unless it has some metaphoeical meaning I am unaware of, what the flying fuck? Filter the gentle breeze? Kumbittu kaNNadippEn? Enna oru apoorvamAna karpanai indha aalukku.

fring151

Posts : 1090
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2013-04-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  fring151 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:10 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:pAl vaNNa nilaveduththu
pAr kadalil pala murai salavai seidhu
peNNuruvAy pirandhavaL avaL dhAnO?
en kavidhaigaLil kaN malarndhavaLO?
en mounangaLai mozhipeyarthavaLO? (mozhipeyarppu is a single word meaning translation. But to fit in the tune here, it sits awkwardly as mozhipeyar<pause>thavaLO and can be construed as either mozhipeyarthavaLO or mozhi peyarthavaLO (one who peyartheduthufied the mozhi  )

Ya, that part sticks out like a sore thumb. And I just realize that not just the lyrics, but even the seemingly random deviation of the tune at that point (en kavidhaigalil) is almost a direct lift from the mawkish boy band Boyzone (original Beegees) song "Words". Unnecessary deviation, more so considering the fact that the deviation isn't particularly original. IdhellAm ARR'ku inspiration'A? Facepalm.

fring151

Posts : 1090
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2013-04-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  Bala (Karthik) on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:30 pm

DM
Like mayilsamy says in the titel Park comedy: "I am biggest rekuost" 
Can you decipher the words in Yaaro yaarodi and chorus parts in Snehidhanai Snehidhanai (assuming they are by VM and in Tamil)

Bala (Karthik)

Posts : 411
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-10-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  plum on Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:53 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:
fring151 wrote:koakilamae nee kural koduththaal unaik kumbittuk kannadippaen
goapuramae unaich chaayththukkondu undhan koondhalil meen pidippaen
vennilavae unaith thoongavaikka undhan viralukku sodukkeduppaen
varudavarum poongaatraiyellaam konjam vadikatti anuppivaippaen -
enkaadhalin thaevaiyai kaadukkul oadhivaippaen -
unkaaladi ezhudhiya koalangal pudhukkavidhaigal enruraippaen
Can someone explain what's going on here?

I will fall at your feet and ogle at you  LOL 
I will displace you, my tower (erm...), and shall fish in your hair (mavane konjam miss aagi undhan koondhalil paen pidippen nu esagu pisagu aayirukkaNum)
Ye white moon to make you sleep, I shall take soduk in your fingers
All the breeze that comes to caress, I'll filter it and send
My wants of lou, I'll preach inside the ears
The kolams drawn by your feet, I'll announce them to be poems  cool3 

In other words, Pulamaipithan's மணல்வெளி யாவும் இருவரின் பாதம், நடந்ததை காற்றே மறைக்காதே beats this hands down (similar yeng lovezhs love song situation, so comparable imo).

btw, this song from the ARR-VM stable. Thothapuram, Godfather.

Dinam dinam dinam Deepavali
ungal thiruvizhigalil pushpangali

Idhu thothapuram doi
Thotta chini chakara doi
Vandha maapilai ku virunda paaru oyi
Iva naatu kozhi kaavala
Ila kaatu kozhi kaavala
Ikkada kozhi paNNa irukkumaavayya.

Sondhapuram pOnA sathuNavu dhaaNdi
Andhapuram vandhOm enna tharuva seeNdi?
Maamiaaru vettu maja maja maja maajavukku
naanga guarantee.
(I mean WTF is this sondhapuram, andhapuram and sathuNavu business?)

Ocharu ocharu ocharu babu gaaru
Iva osaram paathu koduppAr Benz caru
Ninna oru sugamum konjam kavundhA oru sogamum
Pala vidhamA kudupeeha verenna kudupeeha?

Veralil sulukkeduppOm
Onga nagathil azhukkeduppOm (eww... gross)
Buthi mayangi kidapeeha
MarunAL theliveeha.

Muruku muruku sarakil irukku murukku
Unakum enakum pazhaya kanakku irukku

Madichi thandha vethala
Konjam sevakKa villai paaru..
Naan kadichi thandha vethala
Romba sevakkum itha podu (ewww)

And the second charanam nosedives to a further abyss that you may look it up online.

Also, on what you asked about VM's osai nayam fail. One example that strikes me. Kai Thottu Thottu AzhaithaaLE, Jodi. Reused from the Hindi song for Doli Saja Ke Rakhna. Big hit. But look at the lyrics. No obvious sotha kadalai nonsense like "ungaL nagaththil azhukkeduppOm" but the charanam where the tune changes to a most saccharine, sweet one, the lyrics (the first charanam just pass for osai nayam but for the final word, iNaithu vittAL where vittAL has to be fit with the concluding musical phrase and gets dragged mercilessly but the second charanam is utter fail):

pAl vaNNa nilaveduththu
pAr kadalil pala murai salavai seidhu
peNNuruvAy pirandhavaL avaL dhAnO?
en kavidhaigaLil kaN malarndhavaLO?
en mounangaLai mozhipeyarthavaLO? (mozhipeyarppu is a single word meaning translation. But to fit in the tune here, it sits awkwardly as mozhipeyar<pause>thavaLO and can be construed as either mozhipeyarthavaLO or mozhi peyarthavaLO (one who peyartheduthufied the mozhi LOL )
azhagai thaththeduththavaLO?
en uyir malarai thaththarithavaLO? (more violence LOL )

KS Ravi kalai vaNNam theriyudhu. Basically, I would have lined it up as the typically leery male fantasy that KSR types are proficient in but this is not exactly fantasy - In Andhra, there is a place called Peddapuram, whose resident cottage industry is, uh, the oldest profession in the world.
According to the grapevine, these are the kind of services performed for customers there.

I presume KS Ravi took kavipperarsu for a visit there, and jotted down whatever kavignar uLarufied in mayakkam there.

plum

Posts : 1201
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-10-23
Age : 42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  plum on Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:55 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:
fring151 wrote:koakilamae nee kural koduththaal unaik kumbittuk kannadippaen
goapuramae unaich chaayththukkondu undhan koondhalil meen pidippaen
vennilavae unaith thoongavaikka undhan viralukku sodukkeduppaen
varudavarum poongaatraiyellaam konjam vadikatti anuppivaippaen -
enkaadhalin thaevaiyai kaadukkul oadhivaippaen -
unkaaladi ezhudhiya koalangal pudhukkavidhaigal enruraippaen
Can someone explain what's going on here?

I will fall at your feet and ogle at you  LOL 
I will displace you, my tower (erm...), and shall fish in your hair (mavane konjam miss aagi undhan koondhalil paen pidippen nu esagu pisagu aayirukkaNum)
Ye white moon to make you sleep, I shall take soduk in your fingers
All the breeze that comes to caress, I'll filter it and send
My wants of lou, I'll preach inside the ears
The kolams drawn by your feet, I'll announce them to be poems  cool3 

In other words, Pulamaipithan's மணல்வெளி யாவும் இருவரின் பாதம், நடந்ததை காற்றே மறைக்காதே beats this hands down (similar yeng lovezhs love song situation, so comparable imo).

btw, this song from the ARR-VM stable. Thothapuram, Godfather.

Dinam dinam dinam Deepavali
ungal thiruvizhigalil pushpangali

Idhu thothapuram doi
Thotta chini chakara doi
Vandha maapilai ku virunda paaru oyi
Iva naatu kozhi kaavala
Ila kaatu kozhi kaavala
Ikkada kozhi paNNa irukkumaavayya.

Sondhapuram pOnA sathuNavu dhaaNdi
Andhapuram vandhOm enna tharuva seeNdi?
Maamiaaru vettu maja maja maja maajavukku
naanga guarantee.
(I mean WTF is this sondhapuram, andhapuram and sathuNavu business?)

Ocharu ocharu ocharu babu gaaru
Iva osaram paathu koduppAr Benz caru
Ninna oru sugamum konjam kavundhA oru sogamum
Pala vidhamA kudupeeha verenna kudupeeha?

Veralil sulukkeduppOm
Onga nagathil azhukkeduppOm (eww... gross)
Buthi mayangi kidapeeha
MarunAL theliveeha.

Muruku muruku sarakil irukku murukku
Unakum enakum pazhaya kanakku irukku

Madichi thandha vethala
Konjam sevakKa villai paaru..
Naan kadichi thandha vethala
Romba sevakkum itha podu (ewww)

And the second charanam nosedives to a further abyss that you may look it up online.

Also, on what you asked about VM's osai nayam fail. One example that strikes me. Kai Thottu Thottu AzhaithaaLE, Jodi. Reused from the Hindi song for Doli Saja Ke Rakhna. Big hit. But look at the lyrics. No obvious sotha kadalai nonsense like "ungaL nagaththil azhukkeduppOm" but the charanam where the tune changes to a most saccharine, sweet one, the lyrics (the first charanam just pass for osai nayam but for the final word, iNaithu vittAL where vittAL has to be fit with the concluding musical phrase and gets dragged mercilessly but the second charanam is utter fail):

pAl vaNNa nilaveduththu
pAr kadalil pala murai salavai seidhu
peNNuruvAy pirandhavaL avaL dhAnO?
en kavidhaigaLil kaN malarndhavaLO?
en mounangaLai mozhipeyarthavaLO? (mozhipeyarppu is a single word meaning translation. But to fit in the tune here, it sits awkwardly as mozhipeyar<pause>thavaLO and can be construed as either mozhipeyarthavaLO or mozhi peyarthavaLO (one who peyartheduthufied the mozhi LOL )
azhagai thaththeduththavaLO?
en uyir malarai thaththarithavaLO? (more violence LOL )
Awesome Put a twitlonger and get it RT-ed indiscriminately.

plum

Posts : 1201
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-10-23
Age : 42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  Drunkenmunk on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:43 am

Bala (Karthik) wrote:DM
Like mayilsamy says in the titel Park comedy: "I am biggest rekuost" 
Can you decipher the words in Yaaro yaarodi and chorus parts in Snehidhanai Snehidhanai (assuming they are by VM and in Tamil)

VM dhaan and LOL @ if it is Tamil. Sure. Why not? It has some interesting lines which fail osai nayam on all counts and some confusing lines for me as well. A musical peak for ARR imo and one of my favorite ARR albums as well. Here goes.

Pallavi:
Yaaro Yaarodi unnOda purusan? (Yaarodi is 2 words, yaar and di)
Yaaro Yaarodi un thimirukku arasan?
Eekki pOl nilavadikka indhiranAr pandhadikka
andha pandhai edhirthadippavanO, sollu! (Eekki is shaart faarm for Eekkil, which means Eer kuchi in Thirunelveli slang if I'm not wrong: https://ta.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E0%AE%88%E0%AE%95%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%B2%E0%AF%8D_%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%9F%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%9F%E0%AF%81 And VM has derived this line from an old thAlAttu: http://ethamil.blogspot.in/2013/11/blog-post_23.html and here, osai nayam goes for a 6. edhirthadippavano struggles to get into that tune construct. The singers struggling with Tamil too doesn't help imo. For a verr long time, I was singing it as izhuthadippavanO? "Maapla payyan enna Sehwag aa?" nu pala dharava koschins vandhurukku enakkuLLa)
Sandhana pottazhagaiyum sAnja nadai azhagaiyum
VeLLi vEtti kattiyavanO sollu! (again, kattiyavanO becomes katti <gap> yavanO to fit with the tune. Sandham doesn't fit sangeedham).
Yaaro Yaarodi...

Charanam:
Thangathukku vErkudhu pArunga, pArunga...
Saandhu kaNNu mayangudhu Enunga?
Muthazhagi ingE illeenga, sollunga
Mutham ittu ingE thodunga.
Mothamaaga solli kudunga
Solli kudunga kudunga kudunga kudunga...
KaNNi poNNu nallA nadippA adi nadippA
Kattilukku pattam padippA (to sound like vakkeelukku pattam padippA and be creatively funny? scratch I mean kattil kalai ku pattam ellAm eduthAnga'na and adha padikka yeng gerls pOnAnga'na... kEkkuvE nArAsamA irukkudhE mama lol! )

Yaaro Yaarodi unnOda purusan?
Aathi avan dhaaNdi un thimirukku arasan!
Eekki pOl nilavadikka indhiranAr pandhadikka
andha pandhai edhirthadippavanO sollu!
MalluvEttu katti vandha sallikattu mAtta mutti
Malliyappoo vellapoovudhadi nillu! ( scratch )

KannAlam kannAlam Poongodikki kannAlam (repeats several times)

Charanam:
Ponnu thaali poNNukkedhukku? edhukku?
MooNu mudi pOduvadhedhukku?
Urimaikaaga oththa mudichu, adiyae
Uravukaaga reNdAm mudichu (again, conpeesans begaas the singer sings it like uravu kAkka reNdAm mudichu so not sure if it is uravukkAga reNdAm mudichu or uravu kAkka reNdAm mudichu, both of which is OK)
OorukkAga mooNAm mudichu...
mudichu... mudichu mudichu mudichu.
Ponnu thaali poNNukkedhukku? edhukku?
MooNu mudi pOduvadhedhukku? (Ponnu thaali poNNukkedhukku? edhukku ya? Poet never answers that koschin which he himself put. oruvELa nammaLa kEkkurArO? scratch )

Yaaro Yaarodi...

So ippidi pala edathula scratch osai nayam fail, singers amorphous pronunciations. Song sweeps charts because song has a peppy tune and album overall is excellent. But Mr. Perarasu...

LOL @ your Snehidhanai (Kovai Sarala-esque). Chorus parts in Snegidhane are too good yaar. I mean, I used to sing Steeni's "en garvam azhindhadhadi" as "en garbam azhindhadhadi" Razz

The full chorus:

நேற்று முன்னிரவில் உன்னித் திலவு மடியில், காற்று நுழைவதென்ன? (not sure what thilavu means. Looks like a sanga kaala/muththoLLAyiram word)
உயிர் கலந்து களித்திருந்தேன்...
இன்று விண்ணிலவில் அந்த ஈர நினைவில்...
கன்று தவிப்பதென்ன?
மனம் கலங்கி புலம்புகிறேன்...
கூந்தல் நெளிவில் எழில் கோலச் சரிவில்,
என் கர்வம் அழிந்ததடி

Excellent song though, musically. Again, idhellAm thani variyA ezhudhinA evanAchum padippAnA? kEppAnA? Tune'kaaga hit'Ana song dhAn idhellAm.

plum wrote: Awesome Put a twitlonger and get it RT-ed indiscriminately.

nerayA pEsi pAthuttEn VM fans oda. Never been able to convince them of his failings. Hence stopped trenchantly criticizing him on twitter among his fans begaas it is a sevudankAdhula oodhina sangu. Useless imo to post on twitter again because I'll be preaching to the same choir.

Drunkenmunk

Posts : 1230
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2013-05-01
Age : 28
Location : Chennai

View user profile http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  fring151 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:51 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:Yaaro Yaarodi unnOda purusan? (Yaarodi is 2 words, yaar and di)
Yaaro Yaarodi un thimirukku arasan?
Eekki pOl nilavadikka indhiranAr pandhadikka
andha pandhai edhirthadippavanO, sollu! (Eekki is shaart faarm for Eekkil, which means Eer kuchi in Thirunelveli slang if I'm not wrong:https://ta.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E0%AE%88%E0%AE%95%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%B2%E0%AF%8D_%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%9F%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%9F%E0%AF%81And VM has derived this line from an old thAlAttu: http://ethamil.blogspot.in/2013/11/blog-post_23.html and here, osai nayam goes for a 6. edhirthadippavano struggles to get into that tune construct. The singers struggling with Tamil too doesn't help imo. For a verr long time, I was singing it as izhuthadippavanO? "Maapla payyan enna Sehwag aa?" nu pala dharava koschins vandhurukku enakkuLLa)
Sandhana pottazhagaiyum sAnja nadai azhagaiyum
VeLLi vEtti kattiyavanO sollu! (again, kattiyavanO becomes katti <gap> yavanO to fit with the tune. Sandham doesn't fit sangeedham).
Yaaro Yaarodi...

With this and yesterday's example, I understand the Osai nayam lacking aspect of Vairam better. While we are on Snegidhane, in my teenage days, this song used to give rise to even more lewd thoughts in my mind. To be more precise, on the lines "aiviral idukkil oli veNNai poosi" (which is how I used to hear it then), I used to wonder what kind of weird and unhealthy fetish it is to smother one's beloved in butter. And that such elaborate preparation for the obvious activity to follow is decidedly unwarranted given the cholesterol epidemic in the country. Why not a healthier alternative like Olive oil, I used to think. And then..*eureka*, it struck me one fine day that the public-minded bard had indeed suggested Olive eNNai and I had been misunderstanding and maligning him all these years for an imaginary transgression.  Smile

fring151

Posts : 1090
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2013-04-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  app_engine on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:56 pm

A poster on facebook

Can't say this post is 100% authentic with no migaippaduththal...however, I'm not surprised that someone pushes their business interests based on cine-popularity.

It is like actresses opening jewellery stores Laughing

It's the problem of naive fellows that they imagine getting celebrities for "Thamizh thoNdu" rotfl

app_engine

Posts : 6898
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2012-10-23
Location : MI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  Drunkenmunk on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:08 pm

FRING,

Our Ennavale Adi Ennavale redux over a bunch of the most howlarious tweets:

https://storify.com/kannan0420/story

READ!

 rotfl rotfl2 rotfl3 rotfl4 

Drunkenmunk

Posts : 1230
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2013-05-01
Age : 28
Location : Chennai

View user profile http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rahman and Vairamuthu - Highs, lows and pits

Post  rajkumarc on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:55 pm

^^^

To good. Thanks for sharing DM. I made the mistake of seeing this at work  Very Happy

rajkumarc

Posts : 206
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-01-03
Location : SF BayArea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum