Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Balki's next project - Shamitabh

+22
Usha
fring151
sagi
[μsic]மாபியா
irfan123
Raaga_Suresh
mythila
kiru
raghuCA
Shank
Wizzy
MH
crimson king
rajkumarc
Drunkenmunk
jaiganesh
V_S
D22_Malar
plum
mayilSK
kamalaakarsh
app_engine
26 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Balki's next project - Shamitabh - Page 8 Empty Re: Balki's next project - Shamitabh

Post  crimson king Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:49 am

Thanks DM

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Balki's next project - Shamitabh - Page 8 Empty Re: Balki's next project - Shamitabh

Post  Raaga_Suresh Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:00 pm

Nice CR. I have left a comment in the blog.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:21 pm

BTW, my Shamitabh review got translated and published in Solvanam. http://solvanam.com/?p=38028

Interesting our own Ravi Natarajan explains genetics with help of Raja !!! : http://solvanam.com/?p=37971

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:47 am

Digression

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/tech-media-telecom/article-shamitabhs-d-street-connection-rakesh-jhunjhunwala-radhakrishnan-damani-736351

Stock market & Shamitabh

End-digression

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:56 am

ROTFL stuff

The writer of this piece is "reminded of" telephone mani pOl sirippavaL ivaLA when hearing Asaya kAththula thoodhu vittu's latest Shamitabh version Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:04 am

off-beat'AmAm

Claps Or Slaps:

We give Claps to Illaiyaraaja who has impressed us with his off beat music yet again in Shamitabh. And though the audience may not find the tracks engaging initially, once the film releases, they will surely be hooked on to it.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:07 am

bizasia 5/10

FINAL WORD

Ilaiyaraaja might be a legend on the final step of becoming the first music composer to have composed 1000 soundtracks but he sure does not impress much with the OST of ‘Shamitabh’. His work is clean but not awesome to stand the competition with the mainstream Bollywood composers. The music on all songs sound very flat with not much depth or real instrumentation. The casio keyboard sounding compositions are rather unattractive to listen to at times. Suraj Jagan is the vocal lead of the album although Big B steals the show with Piddly Si Baatein which is the best musical piece on the album. Stereophonics Sannata has good vocals by Shruti Haasan as well but like most other songs the lyrics fail them. A lot better was expected from Kirkire and Munir with their pens on the lyrics front as some of the songs are just plain bad work. But considering these two lyricists usually do a great job I guess the combination of R. Balki and Ilaiyaraaja working with them just doesn’t work. Overall the album lacks creativity and a good wholesome sound that will work in Bollywood as the musical standard has shot up too high for this soundtrack to make a mark.

BizAsia Showbiz Rating – 5/10

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:20 am

stereophonic silence

So, sannAttA means silence.

She has the throw and the range and the way she pronounces Sannata is fabulous. No other singer could have pulled off this song, Raja sir was categorical that this was the voice he wanted," he says. The recording was just half a day's work at Ilayaraja's sprawling studio in Chennai which has a series of booths but also a huge hall where you can record with a string quartet. "After recording in matchbox size cubicles, it was wonderful to go back to this old school studio in Chennai and record a song under the baton of my first composer," Shruti smiles. 

The piddly story is funny :

Swanand points out that you don't need singers and song writer when the hero is mute and his song is silence... Sannata. "It was great fun jamming with Balki and Raja sir who I have worked with earlier in Paa. He's an institution in himself who pays minute attention to words, nuances and tonality. I came up with Piddly because of him. I had started out with the word Alam Ara but he insisted he wanted something small and threw me some Tamil words, one of which was idli from which Piddly came about," informs Swanand. "Fortunatelym in this case we already had Sannata. The word has different connotations, from terror to danger, but in this case we've brought in an element of humour." 

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:27 am

So, reviews are after all personal opinions

Ilaiyaraja’s least interesting track also sounds more interesting than most of what our Bollywood composers usually offer. His magic lies in the curious yet brilliant juxtaposition of techno new-age beats with timeless compositions making Shamitabh an album you can listen to over and over again.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:38 am

While Thappad/Lifebuoy may not prove to be timeless, the review makes a point with merit.  There's a lot of quirk in the music of Shamitabh which Raja has pampered us enough to take for granted but which is very unusual in jaded Bollywood.  Esp a song like Piddly with its funky syncopation that still accommodates an interlude with no percussion (WUT!) and string sweeps where one actually hears the vibrato.  Even Amit Trivedi has become formulaic over the last year or so (Queen OST was like a xerox of English Vinglish/Ishaqzaade).  Raja brings back some old world dramatics dressed up in modern sensibilities.  Ironic because he would have as a young composer leaned on the shoulders of the Hindi giants to acquire that very fine sense of drama.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  irir123 Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:45 am

app_engine wrote: off-beat'AmAm

Claps Or Slaps:

We give Claps to Illaiyaraaja who has impressed us with his off beat music yet again in Shamitabh. And though the audience may not find the tracks engaging initially, once the film releases, they will surely be hooked on to it.

IR anaalum romba kusumbu!

oru damaal dimeel adidhadi album koduthhaadhaan sarippattuvarum
irir123
irir123

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:48 pm

lot of reviews

In their third collaboration together, R Balki and Ilaiyaraaja have worked on the music of Shamitabh. This is the 999th album of Ilaiyaraaja's career and it definitely has that distinct mark of the music maestro - subtle and inviting. 

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:50 pm

Digression

Lot of curse words it seems, U/A

End-digression

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:24 am

I could assert under oath that I have heard the first interlude of piddly before in NEPV or Megha. I went back to listen to these albums and it was not there. Can some body else chime in on this ? But I had a awesome time listening to these albums. Gautam Menon and Megha directors/producers deserve all the kudos for enabling IR to produce these benchmarks. I think the Hindi audience is missing out on these wonderful masterpieces.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:29 pm

gAnA Prabha review of movie

Looks like typical Balki way (of not having full song videos but use bits and pieces of songs as they fit into the flow of the movie)...very much my preferred way Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:47 pm

Yet another music review

Ilaiyaraaja doesn’t dole out Hindi songs very often but when he does, they are special.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:54 pm

India Today marketing for the movie

Music
Illayaraja doesn't dole out songs for Bollywood films everyday but when he does, he makes sure that they cling onto the listeners. Be it the title track Sha sha sha mi mi or the quirky Ishq-e-Filum, the tunes do not easily get out of your mind. Even Amitabh Bachchan's Piddly Loo is quite catchy.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:40 pm

Gulf malayALi PoV

‘Shamitabh’ makes for an engaging one-time watch primarily due to the superlative performances from Bachchan and Dhanush

Stars: 3.5 out of 5

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  AbhiMusiq Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:20 am

http://www.bollywoodlife.com/news-gossip/shamitabh-movie-review-drop-everything-and-watch-amitabh-bachchan-dhanushs-highly-entertaining-flick-asap/

Another one

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/shamitabh-movie-review-roundup-watch-it-amitabh-bachchan-dhanush-brilliant-performances-622626

Music will be a smash hit for sure

AbhiMusiq

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:22 am

Reviews on twitter do not seem to be pleasing. This one for instance: http://www.huffingtonpost.in/suprateek-chatterjee/why-shamitabh-is-a-traves_b_6627312.html?utm_hp_ref=india

This --> "What is hard to imagine is that grown men and women with undeniable talent worked hard to make and promote a movie this infantile and badly-thought-through. That dichotomy sticks out even in the technical department. PC Sreeram's cinematography is horrendous (I lost count of the number of frames that featured out-of-focus objects blocking up to a third of the screen), while the great Illaiayraja's overly lush background score is manipulative and obtrusive, often drowning out dialogue to comical effect (much like enthusiastic acceptance speeches are cut off at awards ceremonies)."
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:37 pm

kamalaakarsh wrote:Reviews on twitter do not seem to be pleasing. This one for instance: http://www.huffingtonpost.in/suprateek-chatterjee/why-shamitabh-is-a-traves_b_6627312.html?utm_hp_ref=india

This --> "What is hard to imagine is that grown men and women with undeniable talent worked hard to make and promote a movie this infantile and badly-thought-through. That dichotomy sticks out even in the technical department. PC Sreeram's cinematography is horrendous (I lost count of the number of frames that featured out-of-focus objects blocking up to a third of the screen), while the great Illaiayraja's overly lush background score is manipulative and obtrusive, often drowning out dialogue to comical effect (much like enthusiastic acceptance speeches are cut off at awards ceremonies)."
Yeah this seems to have divided folks (Kudhish Samath, Raja Sen, Supratik LOLJK (don't rate him highly as a critic) din't like it). But in general, noted this from the trends on FB, people are impressed, especially with Dhanush. As a Dhanush fan, I am relieved. Film will make money for sure.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:51 am

Friend, reviewer for the New Indian Express, here: http://t.co/yUSQ1sQgl9

Mixed review for the film, as in Amitabh, Dhanush rock the floors, but inconsistent writing. But thumbs up to Raaja's music. This is a guy whose views I respect and trust. This is all I need to go confidently into the film.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  irir123 Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:52 pm

http://www.thehansindia.com/posts/index/2015-02-06/Shamitabh-review-rating-130000
irir123
irir123

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:06 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:Friend, reviewer for the New Indian Express, here: http://t.co/yUSQ1sQgl9

Mixed review for the film, as in Amitabh, Dhanush rock the floors, but inconsistent writing. But thumbs up to Raaja's music. This is a guy whose views I respect and trust. This is all I need to go confidently into the film.
Does he frequent this forum or follow any of our twitter kuroopp?
He uses 'Raaja' which only we use for reference... :-)

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:06 am

Oh ff.... i mustve known - he is gradwolf - regular to rangan blog..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next