Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2

+32
groucho070
Punnaimaran
Shank
mayilSK
Bala (Karthik)
vicks
kv
Sakalakala Vallavar
sagi
rajkumarc
writeface
kamalaakarsh
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
D22_Malar
Balu
mythila
baroque
rajaclan
ravinat
Raaga_Suresh
irir123
irfan123
jaiganesh
Drunkenmunk
Wizzy
kiru
crimson king
V_S
fring151
Usha
plum
app_engine
36 posters

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2 - Page 28 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2

Post  fring151 Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:27 pm

Only in India can the mere mention of one of the country's greatest composers ever in a random, obscure "foreign" website, by someone who has probably heard less than 0.1% of his work, without any discussion of his music or style or even any mention of notable film scores (like for several others on that list) , and placing him in a not particularly flattering position (no 9? Meh) to boot, send juvenile fanboys and media into a tizzy. Only in India. Pathetic and sad.

Last edited by fring151 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

fring151

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2 - Page 28 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2

Post  crimson king Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:35 pm

fring151 wrote:
There is not a Beatles song I know that can match the arrangements, orchestral brilliance, melodic complexity or rhythmic variations of any IR song in a hypothetical "Top 50 western IR" list. I will refrain from making such a sweeping statement about Stevie Wonder because I haven't heard enough of his music. So I would consider a similar list rating Beatles no.1 and IR no.9 a bigger travesty. 

Beatles is a band and S Wonder is an artist so it's already not an apple to apple comparison.  While IR is forced to write for film situations dictated to him by the director, he also has a plethora of singers and musicians to choose from whereas, even when Beatles or Wonder enlist the help of sessions musicians, a Beatles song must necessarily revolve around performances by the fab four and a Wonder song around his vocals/harmonica/keyboard and that restricts their repertoire.    In terms of complexity and variety, King Crimson is a better bet to compare with Ilayaraja (yeah, how predictable of me!  Razz ) because Fripp decided that King Crimson was an idea and not just a band of individuals.  Their lineups have changed so much over the years and, along with, the music as well. Surely no other rock band has straddled tracks as diverse as I Talk To The Wind, Larks Tongue in Aspic pt2, Frame by Frame or Power to Believe.    

Also, Beatles are not regarded highly only for their complexity within short songs or versatility but also for their profound influence.  Likewise Wonder. I would not be surprised if IR was influenced by either.  Especially Wonder depended on the Fender Rhodes-brass section combination that IR has also used in many songs.  Songs in the key of life and Innervisions are must-haves.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Thanks for the link. Will check it later today. Gotta rush now.

Anyway, my point is simply that, YOU can compare. Not someone who cannot even put together an original para about IR's music, but rather chooses to ctrl+c, ctrl+v from wiki... And juvenile fanboys (on the comments) and media like The Hindu going into a frenzy about this as if this is the greatest recognition IR can possibly receive and taking the opportunity to mock ARR , is very very irritating.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Shank Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:05 pm

Apologize if you all have already seen this, but I was so struck by this awesome article...puts so many things that we routinely discuss here in context, from the perspective of a musician.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-sundaymagazine/the-king-and-i/article4774056.ece

Shank

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:24 pm

fring151 wrote:Thanks for the link. Will check it later today. Gotta rush now.

Anyway, my point is simply that, YOU can compare. Not someone who cannot even put together an original para about IR's music, but rather chooses to ctrl+c, ctrl+v from wiki... And juvenile fanboys (on the comments) and media like The Hindu going into a frenzy about this as if this is the greatest recognition IR can possibly receive and taking the opportunity to mock ARR , is very very irritating.
lol, it is the same syndrome that you see in the way the media goes ga-ga over Nadella becoming the CEO of Microsoft.  Please, Nadella is an American now and has earned the position through his efforts as an individual and not because of his origins.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:01 pm

"முக்கல் முனகல் பாடல்களைப் புகுத்தித் தமிழ்த்திரை இசையை ராசா சீரழித்தார்"ன்னு  இனி ஒரு பய சொல்லட்டும்!

அப்படி அபாண்டமாகச் சொல்லும் நபர்கள் கண்டிப்பாகப் படிக்க வேண்டிய பதிவு இதோ:

https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t170p15-spb-s-pre-ir-tfm-songs-status#14896

வெறுமனே "எம்ஜியார் முதலான எல்லோரும் ஏற்கனவே செய்து வைத்திருந்த கலாச்சாரத்தை இவரும் பின்பற்ற வேண்டி இருந்தது" என்று மட்டுமே சொல்ல வேண்டும் Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:47 am

app_engine wrote:"முக்கல் முனகல் பாடல்களைப் புகுத்தித் தமிழ்த்திரை இசையை ராசா சீரழித்தார்"ன்னு  இனி ஒரு பய சொல்லட்டும்!

அப்படி அபாண்டமாகச் சொல்லும் நபர்கள் கண்டிப்பாகப் படிக்க வேண்டிய பதிவு இதோ:

https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t170p15-spb-s-pre-ir-tfm-songs-status#14896

வெறுமனே "எம்ஜியார் முதலான எல்லோரும் ஏற்கனவே செய்து வைத்திருந்த கலாச்சாரத்தை இவரும் பின்பற்ற வேண்டி இருந்தது" என்று மட்டுமே சொல்ல வேண்டும் Smile

Hahaha. That's a good discovery  thumbsup

fring151

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2 - Page 28 Empty my daughter playing punnagai mannan theme..

Post  jaiganesh Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:48 pm

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Sindhu Bhairavi

Nothing new in the article. Placed the link here because Cinema Express (of Indian Express group) calls this as one of the "திருப்புமுனைத் திரைப்படங்கள்"...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:23 pm

Raja pesarar. ingu enaku sound ku vazhi ilai...  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53psoT7auLo&feature=youtu.be

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:29 pm

KR-kku badhilA Bhavadharini

While it was earlier told that the maestro's elder son Karthik Raja will be the head of the fan club now there seems to be a change in leadership. Owing to prior commitments Karthik Raja has backed from the fan club activities and he will be replaced by his sister Bhavatharini who is a renowned play-back singer.

Like I said before, thEvai illAdha ANi...well...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:31 pm

veLi nAttukkAran blog mahimai

Recently Isagnani Ilayaraja was selected as one among the top 25 film music composers all over the world. Our maestro who is currently working on his 1000th film Tharai Thappattai that will be directed by Bala has been given 9th place in the list of 25 music composers. Ilayaraja was also the only Indian composer to have made it to the list.

To honour this historical achievement a group of senior journalists met the ace music composer and conveyed their wishes with a huge garland.
Raja sir who was moved by this, said, "Journalists visit us only when we call them to announce something. But this time you have come voluntarily to appreciate me. This affection is priceless. Thanks giving me this exclusive honor. This gesture of yours is a bigger award for me".

rotfl

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:49 am

app_engine wrote:veLi nAttukkAran blog mahimai

Recently Isagnani Ilayaraja was selected as one among the top 25 film music composers all over the world. Our maestro who is currently working on his 1000th film Tharai Thappattai that will be directed by Bala has been given 9th place in the list of 25 music composers. Ilayaraja was also the only Indian composer to have made it to the list.

To honour this historical achievement a group of senior journalists met the ace music composer and conveyed their wishes with a huge garland.
Raja sir who was moved by this, said, "Journalists visit us only when we call them to announce something. But this time you have come voluntarily to appreciate me. This affection is priceless. Thanks giving me this exclusive honor. This gesture of yours is a bigger award for me".

rotfl
these coconut people Mad
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:33 pm

RGV's "tribute" to rAsA it seems

He adds, "I still can't forget the goose bumps I got back in 1989 when Ilayaraja was scoring music for that sequence. I wanted to bring the attention to track number 17 in the album "Rowdy" whoever ever liked and remembered that cycle chase music in "Shiva”, I am sure they will enjoy listening to this back ground track. As a huge fan of this legendary musician my main interest is to bring back this composition to express the great idea of the genius Ilayaraja’s 1989 sound track to 2014. I asked Sai Kartik to do an integration of the brilliant cycle chase theme from Shiva into the main theme of "Rowdy" and it turned out to be brilliant.This is my salute to Ilayaraja."

Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2 - Page 28 Empty Lip service for free

Post  mythila Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:15 pm

tribute/salute ellAm irukkattum RGV , enga padam enga rAsAvukku?

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:13 pm

app_engine wrote: RGV's "tribute" to rAsA it seems

He adds, "I still can't forget the goose bumps I got back in 1989 when Ilayaraja was scoring music for that sequence. I wanted to bring the attention to track number 17 in the album "Rowdy" whoever ever liked and remembered that cycle chase music in "Shiva”, I am sure they will enjoy listening to this back ground track. As a huge fan of this legendary musician my main interest is to bring back this composition to express the great idea of the genius Ilayaraja’s 1989 sound track to 2014. I asked Sai Kartik to do an integration of the brilliant cycle chase theme from Shiva into the main theme of "Rowdy" and it turned out to be brilliant.This is my salute to Ilayaraja."

Laughing
 This is what he is referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDMyVcjlQBQ (the new version)
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:15 pm

Chokkan sir's free e-book on IR

அவ்விதத்தில், எண்பதுகளின் தமிழ்த் திரையிசைபற்றி நான் அவ்வப்போது எழுதிய கட்டுரைகளை Freetamilebooks.com இணையத் தளத்தினர் தொகுத்து மின்னூலாகக் கொண்டுவருகிறார்கள். அவர்களுக்கு என் நன்றி.

இந்நூல் முற்றிலும் இலவசம், வணிக நோக்கின்றி யாரும் எவ்வண்ணமும் பயன்படுத்தலாம். இதனை வாசிப்போர் மற்றவர்களிடம் பகிர்ந்துகொள்ளலாம், தடை ஏதும் இல்லை. வாசித்து உங்கள் கருத்துகளை nchokkan@gmail.comக்கு எழுதினால் மகிழ்வேன். நன்றி!

என்றும் அன்புடன்,
என். சொக்கன்,
பெங்களூரு.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:42 pm

abaswaram Ramji light music troup

“It was a time when Western music was fading away and light music troupes were doing well. It was also the time when Ilayaraja entered the field. I made a circuit of other troupes, poaching the best from amongst their people and made others angry. But it did not matter to me then as I had to have a group,” recalls Ramjhi, who was the first to introduce transparent drums in the city.

D. Ramakrishnan, who used to render songs of T.M. Soundararajan and Malaysia Vasudevan on stage in Abaswaram, recalls how Ilayaraja had complimented the troupe, saying it was the only group that retained the true spirit of his songs.

IIRC, abaswaram Ramji did MD for at least one movie - "urugangaL mARalAm" starring YGM in the lead role - that had SPB singing 'kAmanukkuk kAman, kAdhalukku mAman', a hit song...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Hamsaleka

National acclaimed music director and lyricist of excellence Hamsalekha is known for hitting back soft and strongly at different occasions. For the audio release of 'Oggarane' he came with a hope that he could share the dais with Music maestro Ilayaraja. I have not shared the platform with legendary Raja for last 30 years recalled Hamsalekha. He is a genius in taking film music to common people. 'Janapada' the folklore Universities should take lessons from maestro felt Hamsalekha.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:16 am

Please do not miss this, directly from Maestro's birth land. So much soul in it. Not just nostalgia, it is much more than that. Thanks to @llaiyaraajafans for posting it on twitter .

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Ayya veedu - from violin vicky..

from 2.59 to 3.03.. Real Heaven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOD6o0xcV2I&feature=youtu.be

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:42 pm

Vasantha Balan interview

உங்களைப் பாதித்த இசைக்குச் சொந்தக்காரர்கள் யார்?

இளையராஜாவும், ரஹ்மானும் என்னைச் சரி சமமாக பாதித்து உள்ளனர். என் இளம் பிராயத்தை ஆக்கிரமித்துக் கொண்டவர் இளையராஜா, அதற்குப் பிறகான என் வாழ்க்கையை ரஹ்மானின் இசை ஆக்கிரமித்துக்கொண்டது.

What is he trying to tell? rAsA music is only for silren? Or youththu? Or "andhakkAla youththu"?

This fellow is very confused.

So much confused that while employing Rahman, says he cannot afford GV Piragas, who is only for big bud movies rotfl

(Possibly uLkuththu but on the surface, it demeans ARR as one without market value)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:05 am

Rahman pada release apPO kEttA enna paNNuvAr? idhai thAn rahman exploit seyyaRApla. If you work with him, you have to make these noises.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:19 pm

idhenna 50-50 biskOthu sari samam?? Raghu mAn thAn nu sollikkOyen , rAsAvO , illa naangaLO enna kEkkavA pOrOm?

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:25 am

ha ha problem is namakku customersaiyum thirupthi paduthaNum, sellersaiyum cover paNNanum. Dilemma of many self-promoters in tamil society is that while Raja's commercial top days are over, they still have to pay  lip service to him to not alienate a huge customer base.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next