Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussions on ARR

+22
prakash
counterpoint
rajkumarc
groucho070
Bala (Karthik)
sagi
mayilSK
Raaga_Suresh
vicks
V_S
kv
Wizzy
Usha
Drunkenmunk
crimson king
fring151
jaiganesh
layman10
dilbert
kiru
plum
app_engine
26 posters

Page 6 of 23 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 23  Next

Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 6 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  Wizzy Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:53 pm

^superabu  applause , always wondered how AR arrives/what he calls a base tune which the director gets to okay it, must be a mighty guessing game.

The way I see it, to create these ‘free-flowing’ songs, you’re likely to create couple of lines randomly, that needn’t necessarily have any logical flow – perhaps pick a scale/ragam, create a couple of lines, play around with the notes in the scale and create more lines randomly, let a day or two pass and create some more ‘sets’; eventually collate all these little pieces and play around with their ‘sequence’ and when something sounds nice, you’re actually done! (Yeah, add chords, percussions, loops, etc. and you should most likely have a ‘free-flowing song’; go on, give it a try!).

during Bombay Dreams time Don Black the lyricist said some thing similar that AR tunes were a collection of 'phrases'
and it took him a while to come to terms with it. add digressions from singers/musicians we are looking a cocktail of  'phrases'.

And the interesting things about Raaja’s approach don’t just end there. He’s always looking for different patterns in not just the pallavi/charanam tunes but also on how to bridge the two portions together which is a definite musical signature of the man. And doing all these things while keeping the structure and flow of the song intact and ‘cohesive’ and more critically, servicing the needs of the film’s situation, supporting and underlining the emotions in it

:pullarips: SPB in an ETV show 'Swarabhishekam' did a demo on how the interludes/choice of instruments were exactly doing it, the song was 'kothaga'
from 'Swarnakamalam', will try to pull the video for you.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Illi nodu  Arrow  http://splicd.com/yAqfs35BCkw/3540/3840
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Super post KV. Well said.

Wizzy,

Thanks for the SPB link. Have posted it on Twitter. Against all the albums of ARR, Harris, YSR etc I will take 'Swarnakamalam' anyday. Has more melody, experimentation, orchestration that all albums of others combined. The lyrics of SitaramaSastry close the case Smile

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:57 pm

wizgaaru... thanks for that link. Superb stuff! Manavaadu manavaadu dhaan ya (pun intentional)!
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:56 pm

Great post kv. the clap The way you convey the message is exemplary as always (short and sweet).

Wizzy, That link does not work for me  Embarassed 

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:01 pm

V_S wrote:Wizzy, That link does not work for me  Embarassed 

& me Embarassed
(Not available to people outside India I think)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:13 pm

http://tamil.thehindu.com/cinema/cinema-others/இசையின்-ரகசியமே-வேறு-தாஜ்நூர்/article5559889.ece

இசைப்புயல் ரஹ்மான் இசையமைத்த 60 சதவிகித பாடல்கள் சூஃபியின் ஆன்மாவை கொண்டவைதான். ரஹ்மான் சூஃபியை திரையில் வெகுஜனப்படுத்தியது ஒருவிதம் என்றால் நாகூர் ஹனிபா வெகுமக்களிடம் கொண்டு சேர்த்தது வேறொரு ரகம்.
சூஃபியில் அமைந்த ரஹ்மானின் சில பாடல்களைக் கூறமுடியுமா?

ஏ ஆர் ரஹ்மானின் டெல்லி 6 இல் வரும் அர்ஜியான் (Arziyan), ராக் ஸ்டாரில் வரும் யானுசாமுதே, ஜோடா அக்பரில் வரும் க்வாஜாஜி, இன் லம்ஹோன், போஸ் படத்தில் வரும் அல்லாஹூ, குரு திரைப்படத்தில் வரும் ஆருயிரே, மன்னிப்பாயா மன்னிப்பாயா போன்ற பாடல்கள் இந்திய சூஃபி இசையின் தாக்கதில் உருவானவைதான். இன்னொரு ஆச்சரியத் தகவல் சொல்லட்டுமா? இசைஞானி இளையராஜாவின் இசையிலும் சூஃபி புகுந்து வந்திருக்கிறது. அன்பு எங்கெல்லாம் இருக்கிறதோ அங்கெல்லாம் சூஃபி இசை வழிந்தோடும்.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:30 pm

New song from highway :same blood:.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xHLnZMjJ8bY
Like I'd said, this feels as though there's so much emphasis on creating a free flowing tune that all other aspects appear compromised in the process. Or maybe not my cup of tea.
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:43 pm

Thanks kv for the link. As you said, tune is free-flowing, but nothing indian about it. High octave shouting is not my cup of my tea Smile To me it is a plain pop song with hindi lyrics, that's about it Crying or Very sad The beats are sharp and jarring.

Back to top Go down

Post  mayilSK Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:58 am

Same feeling here. It's been really tough to bear with it beyond a point as it goes on and on. May the case that since the film is itself about a journey he would have ended up with this. 

Aside, HJ in this interview mentioned 'pleasurable listening' as his motive and you could see where he takes it from. Very relevant to this song as well.

mayilSK
mayilSK

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:40 am

Thanks for the video. I don't understand why everyone is choosing the (alien) pop way (even in tune and singing) when we have rich culture, history and tons of musical resources to tap within India. I also don't understand why they always think getting alien genres to India (in main tune and singing again) as international when the actual international stuff is broadcasting our rich indian musical treasure (in main tune) in the form world would understand.

If the same song above had English lyrics, I don't see what is so different from a pop song which were already dished out from 70s, 80s and 90s. Again, I also don't get how it takes months to create such a song. If you give this song to any alien friend would they say it is international stuff? I have experienced myself many like this and got embarrassed. I really feel we are going back in time with these songs (but rather fooling listeners that we are going forward, as they have not much heard these kind complete pop songs) not forward at all.

Another important thing as you pointed out that this is a journey. So? Recently they try to typecast almost everything into this pop/rock capsule, be it a romance movies (VTV, JTYJN, Jootha Hi Sahi kind of movies), or adventure movies (Blue, Maryan kind) or even our own rural/sea-side movie (raavanan, kadal etc) or crime+love movies (Gajni kind), when they had a very good opportunity to show the versatility based on different subjects and themes (I still remember how Sigappu RojakkaL or Tik Tik Tik songs had that creepiness factor in songs too, done way back). They all missed a huge chance. I really feel they are cheating themselves and the listeners by choosing an easy path (as kv said), but due to other marketing factors try to convince the listeners that it is very difficult to create (thereby taking so much time for these kind of songs).

I would love to hear tunes of native indian like deivam thantha poovE or uyire or even a sahana, but I know I am day dreaming.

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:24 am

Another point is, there is no such thing as composing a tune in fragments is an accepted style in the West.  The old pop songwriters like Burt Bacharach used to write a complete melody first, with or without lyrics, and then work out the arrangements, maybe with the help of an arranger.  Or they write the chords and the melody evolves as a response to the chords.  Breaking up the entire composition into bits and trying to somehow put them together must be one of the bizarre ways of working that I have heard of.  It's fine if that's works for him but by itself that doesn't make it 'pathbreaking' or 'unique'.  As a technique, writing songs with only a Western verse-chorus and no charanam is not unique to ARR even in India.  IR has done it on All The Time (Nadodi Thendral).  Nor do I see, to endorse your arguments, anything that makes it somehow more difficult than a pallavi/charanam or mukda/antara flow.  It is just THEIR songwriting tradition just as pallavi/charanam is ours.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:33 am

crimson king wrote:Another point is, there is no such thing as composing a tune in fragments is an accepted style in the West.  The old pop songwriters like Burt Bacharach used to write a complete melody first, with or without lyrics, and then work out the arrangements, maybe with the help of an arranger.  Or they write the chords and the melody evolves as a response to the chords.  Breaking up the entire composition into bits and trying to somehow put them together must be one of the bizarre ways of working that I have heard of.  It's fine if that's works for him but by itself that doesn't make it 'pathbreaking' or 'unique'.  As a technique, writing songs with only a Western verse-chorus and no charanam is not unique to ARR even in India.  IR has done it on All The Time (Nadodi Thendral).  Nor do I see, to endorse your arguments, anything that makes it somehow more difficult than a pallavi/charanam or mukda/antara flow.  It is just THEIR songwriting tradition just as pallavi/charanam is ours.

Why go back only to 92? Rahmana pAthu thAn adhu kathukkutAru nu abANdamA pazhiya pOttruvAnga (never mind the chronology and other things - andha nuNNukkangaLa pathi kavala padra gumbal illa idhu). EVK (1982) had two songs without any charanam - Pazhaya sogangal and thendral idai. Even PArtha vizhi from Guna had a sort of verse-chorus format - with possibly the best use of the "money note" I've heard in Indian music - while still retaining a very classical melody and arrangements - so the format is cleverly disguised and totally Indianized. Songs where charanam-1 is different from charanam-2 abound as well - KalaivAaniye,  rAga deepam, Kavidhai keLungaL (nambungappa, adhu Rahman idea illa). I even had an example of a 3 charanam song where all 3 charanams are different, but can't recall.

Edit: My point is simply that it is not as though IR was in a rut in song-formats. He has experimented plenty even in this - the above examples are but a sampler. He just very rarely went for the complete free flow (or should it be free-fall?) where everyone does their thing and you just stitch it together to see what you get.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:42 am

I am not going into songs with different charanams because that goes way back to Baiju Bawra - Duniya Ke Rakhwale.  Razz   I mentioned All The Time because that is a proper Western verse-chorus with wholly Westernised orchestration.  There's nothing to suggest such an approach is beyond the pall of composers who are not Rahman. Wink

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:53 am

crimson king wrote:I am not going into songs with different charanams because that goes way back to Baiju Bawra - Duniya Ke Rakhwale.  Razz   I mentioned All The Time because that is a proper Western verse-chorus with wholly Westernised orchestration.  There's nothing to suggest such an approach is beyond the pall of composers who are not Rahman. Wink

And my point wasn't to refute that original point, but rather to add to it and show examples of songs where IR has played around with formatting to refute the claim that TFM was stuck in a rut with boring pallavi-charanam songs and violin-tabla providing BGM. Plus pArtha vizhi is pretty close to to a verse-chorus format. In any case, there is nothing path-breaking or rule-breaking about writing a song in the verse-chorus format or free format.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:53 am

V_S wrote:Thanks kv for the link. As you said, tune is free-flowing, but nothing indian about it. High octave shouting is not my cup of my tea :)To me it is a plain pop song with hindi lyrics, that's about it Crying or Very sad The beats are sharp and jarring.

high octave shoutingna ennoda #ConstipationCure genrela EdhAvadhu thERumA? sonnIngannu kEttu payan pEruvEn #avanavanprachnaiavanavanukku Smile

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:56 am

fring151 wrote:
crimson king wrote:Another point is, there is no such thing as composing a tune in fragments is an accepted style in the West.  The old pop songwriters like Burt Bacharach used to write a complete melody first, with or without lyrics, and then work out the arrangements, maybe with the help of an arranger.  Or they write the chords and the melody evolves as a response to the chords.  Breaking up the entire composition into bits and trying to somehow put them together must be one of the bizarre ways of working that I have heard of.  It's fine if that's works for him but by itself that doesn't make it 'pathbreaking' or 'unique'.  As a technique, writing songs with only a Western verse-chorus and no charanam is not unique to ARR even in India.  IR has done it on All The Time (Nadodi Thendral).  Nor do I see, to endorse your arguments, anything that makes it somehow more difficult than a pallavi/charanam or mukda/antara flow.  It is just THEIR songwriting tradition just as pallavi/charanam is ours.

Why go back only to 92? Rahmana pAthu thAn adhu kathukkutAru nu abANdamA pazhiya pOttruvAnga (never mind the chronology and other things - andha nuNNukkangaLa pathi kavala padra gumbal illa idhu). EVK (1982) had two songs without any charanam - Pazhaya sogangal and thendral idai. Even PArtha vizhi from Guna had a sort of verse-chorus format - with possibly the best use of the "money note" I've heard in Indian music - while still retaining a very classical melody and arrangements - so the format is cleverly disguised and totally Indianized. Songs where charanam-1 is different from charanam-2 abound as well - KalaivAaniye,  rAga deepam, Kavidhai keLungaL (nambungappa, adhu Rahman idea illa). I even had an example of a 3 charanam song where all 3 charanams are different, but can't recall.

Edit: My point is simply that it is not as though IR was in a rut in song-formats. He has experimented plenty even in this - the above examples are but a sampler. He just very rarely went for the complete free flow (or should it be free-fall?) where everyone does their thing and you just stitch it together to see what you get.

ninnai charanadaindhEn...

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:01 am

plum wrote:high octave shoutingna ennoda #ConstipationCure genrela EdhAvadhu thERumA? sonnIngannu kEttu payan pEruvEn #avanavanprachnaiavanavanukku Smile
Absolutely! Aromale, AdiyE, Anjali Anjali (duet) to name a few. Very allergic genre to me  Embarassed 

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:03 am

CK,
Agreed on your points as well.

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:07 am

V_S wrote:
plum wrote:high octave shoutingna ennoda #ConstipationCure genrela EdhAvadhu thERumA? sonnIngannu kEttu payan pEruvEn #avanavanprachnaiavanavanukku Smile
Absolutely! Aromale, AdiyE, Anjali Anjali (duet) to name a few. Very allergic genre to me  Embarassed 
habbAda innum sila mAdhangaLukku pudhiya #kaalaikadanEnabler

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:08 am

V_S wrote:
A very medicinal genre for me, though Smile
Truly, one man's shi..er..meat is another man's poison Smile

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:34 am

fring: i know you are only adding to the point, i was zust claripying.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:45 am

I think this will be a good listing exercise. List of Raaja songs which don't conform to the traditional P-C-P structure. 

How about இங்கேயும் அங்கேயும் ஒரே முகம். It has a Charanam #NOT!

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:06 am

kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:13 am

crimson king wrote:fring: i know you are only adding to the point, i was zust claripying.

Sure. I haven't even heard that "DuniyA ke rakhwAle" song, but it only goes to show playing around with song structuring dates back more than 50 years in IFM and for one MD and/or his coterie to take credit for this is sheer humbug and needs to be called out for what it is. I have even seen BRangan praise him to the skies for this free-formatting and I just don't get it.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 23 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 23  Next