Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retirements, Obituary etc

+3
suresh2
Wizzy
plum
7 posters

Go down

Retirements, Obituary etc Empty Retirements, Obituary etc

Post  plum Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:47 am

I just read the shocking news of Ricky's retirement Shocked affraid What a Face silent pale Shocked

Who am I kidding?
cheers Basketball bom drunken Laughing afro

As many of you know, idhukku dhAnE dhavam irundhEn.

The only sad thing is this will put even more pressure on Sachin, and most likely we are days or weeks or in the best case, few months away from Sachin's retirment.

Anyway,...let's open a Appreciation thread for Cook and Kallis next here Smile

plum

Back to top Go down

Retirements, Obituary etc Empty Re: Retirements, Obituary etc

Post  Wizzy Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:36 am

Pwnting should be forever grateful to Indian team for buying him some time Very Happy imagine his plight if it wasn't for our trundlers.

//dig where are the rest of the threads Question //

Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  suresh2 Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:36 am

Cheenu mama irukkara variakkum dhoni mappilaikku enna problem?

Athu sari, why Ricky Pandiyan mele so much kadupps?

suresh2

Back to top Go down

Post  suresh2 Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:40 am

Oh sorry, Plum, I was responding to your post on Dhoni in the other thread drunken. Sumall confusion..

suresh2

Back to top Go down

Post  2040 Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:49 pm

:cheers:ponting... thanks for some great knocks, entertainment and tears Embarassed (2003 final)

thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaaling Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Never liked him but that terrific pull shot :noteworthy:. His captaincy was overrated and Clarke is showing exactly how to take a young team forward provided you have the fast bowling arsenal and 1 or 2 dependable bats.

Reg 2003 final, he gave a precursor in the SL game itself on what to expect. Pasangallaam Bajji avanai thookkiruvaan-nu sema confident-a irundhaanga :hayyo :hayyo:.

Kaaling

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:08 pm

all the praises coming Pwnting's way is bordering on sycophancy, kind of mirrors the eulogies written
on Thackeray which portrayed him as a statesman of unmatched repute Evil or Very Mad

Pwnting will be long remembered for this

Retirements, Obituary etc 2lwdac
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:16 pm

suresh2 wrote:Cheenu mama irukkara variakkum dhoni mappilaikku enna problem?

Athu sari, why Ricky Pandiyan mele so much kadupps?

correctA sollaNumnA - Adu mEikkiRa kazhudhaikku ivLO aRivA is the root of all my ponting kaduppu...

Other threads - konjam sodhappal. Deleted accidentally - trying to restore it. inimE ipdi nadakkAdhu Sad

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaaling Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:23 am

Wizzy wrote:Pwnting will be long remembered for this
:exactly:. Also too much written about >100 test wins. Dude was lucky to play alongside a bunch of greatest cricketers to have played the game. Its not like he won 100 tests of his own bat.

Kaaling

Back to top Go down

Post  2040 Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:02 pm

British media apologetic over debasing 'great' Ponting throughout playing days

The English media has hailed Ricky Ponting on the eve of the former Australian captain's 168th and final Test match at Perth against South Africa on Friday, and also apologised for disparaging him throughout his playing career.

Former English off-spinner Vic Marks lauded Ponting in London's The Guardian, calling him a ‘team man, right down to the decision to quit Test cricket’.

Marks said Ponting is the first of the three ‘undroppables’ to retire, with Indian superstar Sachin Tendulkar and South African all-rounder Jacques Kallis likely to depart the international arena soon, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.

Derek Pringle, writing in the London Telegraph, said Ponting was ‘a batsman and captain whose natural instinct was to attack, whatever the situation. He leaves the game as one of its greats and arguably its toughest competitor’.

London''s Daily Mail took the opportunity to apologise to Ponting for accusing him of cheating, unsporting behaviour, two-facedness, but mostly for creating the caricature Ratty Ponting.

“Like all the greatest villains, we loved to hate you. Like all Australians, we've loved making fun of you. Above all else we loved beating you – and we'd gotten used to that,” wrote Mark Alford.

“The sad truth is we wish more of our sportsmen and women were like you. And that's why we must say sorry,” he added.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/british-media-apologetic-over-debasing-great-ponting-throughout-playing-days/1038522/

Back to top Go down

Post  2040 Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:29 pm

plum to notice::

Ricky Ponting's greatest rival, Harbhajan Singh, has said the retiring batsman is one of the best players he's ever come across, and added that the decision of the former Australia captain is a sad day for cricket.

Harbhajan has dismissed Ponting more than any other bowler in his Test career and said he thoroughly enjoyed their fierce and combative rivalry that intrigued both Australian and sub-continent fans.

"It is very sad news for the cricket world, another legend of the game has retired. What comes to my mind when I look back and think about Ricky Ponting is that he was one of the greatest players for Australian cricket," News.com.au quoted Harbhajan, as saying to an Australian paper.

<p>"He was very competitive and energetic on the field, and he was one of their best in terms of leading from the front. He has been a champion player for Australia, and played very well for Australia and himself. His record speaks for itself. He scored runs all over the world," he added.

Ponting's retirement sad day for world cricket: Bhajji

Harbhajan will forever be known as Ponting's achilles heel, dismissing him 10 times, including three ducks in the Test arena to boast the best record of any bowler Ponting confronted, and the Indian spinner is proud that record will stand for good.

"I am pretty pleased with my record against him. If it was the other way around I would not have enjoyed it. He is one of the best players I've come across and I've always had a lot of respect for him," Harbhajan said.

"I enjoyed every moment playing against him, He has always been a very gutsy player. He showed he was a very tough character when he was out in the middle. As a batsman he always looked to attack and showed his class," he added.

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Harby wrote:Ponting's retirement sad day for world cricket: Bhajji

What he means is:

harby wrote:Ponting's retirement sad day for Bhajji

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:35 pm

BTW - too mcuh of Ponting praise and Sachin-dissing in the newspapers across the world and websites in the name of Ponting-tributes.
Guardianla ennadAnna, Ponting embodied the spirit of cricket 99.94% of timenellAm vERa ezhudhaRAnga and Vic Marks throws a salvo that "Ponting will be missed on the field; Sachin will be missed when the #4 for India walks out and there is no ovation"

What the...

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:44 am

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/594404.html
Nicely written by Dravid.

100 Test victories and three World Cups, two as captain. It is a statistic any cricketer from any age would die for.
That says it all. What a career he had!

For a long time, we didn't know each other well, and I admit I was surprised when I saw this other side of him, but I am glad I did eventually. At the end of the 2008 Test series against Australia, when I was going through a rough patch, he took me aside and said, "Look, I've been following your batting through the series and I know you're struggling for runs, and people are after your blood, but I want to tell you, I still think you're playing well. Hang in there." Coming from someone who was seen as a tough guy, someone we Indians had had so many skirmishes with, this was a revelation. We didn't know each other well but he took the trouble to talk to me and offer those words of comfort.
I am moved by Ricky's consideration for Dravid.

These cricketers are so special not just because of cricket alone, because of they are of my generation and I grew up with watching them. I don't know how I am going to digest Sachin's last day in cricket. I am already seeing big void in cricket in coming years, definitely I wanted to be proved false.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  2040 Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:18 pm

fonting says sachin is the best he has played against....

and wait... he also says akram and bajji were the best bowlers he faced...

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Retirements, Obituary etc 151977
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:44 pm

was going statsguru, in last 5 yrs Pwnting avgs 39(considerable boost after Ind visited OZ), in the same time
VVS avgs 49 and Wall 44, to think these two were chastised by Ian Chappell/other cricinfo pundits for prolonging their stay whilst Pwnting went under the radar makes me Evil or Very Mad

PS: Sach averages 53 in the time frame, suffice to say even in his lowest ebb Sach is better than him Smile
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  2040 Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Wizzy wrote:was going statsguru, in last 5 yrs Pwnting avgs 39(considerable boost after Ind visited OZ), in the same time
VVS avgs 49 and Wall 44, to think these two were chastised by Ian Chappell/other cricinfo pundits for prolonging their stay whilst Pwnting went under the radar makes me Evil or Very Mad

PS: Sach averages 53 in the time frame, suffice to say even in his lowest ebb Sach is better than him Smile

Shocked

plis post statistics with link... i want to post it in my fb status...

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:12 pm

2040 wrote:Shocked

plis post statistics with link... i want to post it in my fb status...

Looks like you got to fire a query...I did and got the 39.48 average:
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/7133.html?class=1;spanmax1=04+Dec+2012;spanmin1=04+Dec+2007;spanval1=span;template=results;type=allround

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:22 pm

app - Shocked - didnt know you followed Cricket so closeely so as to be proficient with statsguru!
(ofcourse you are an internet thillalangadi I know that but didnt expect you to know the preseence of something like statsguru let alone use it so masterfully!)

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  2040 Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:28 pm

plum wrote:app - Shocked - didnt know you followed Cricket so closeely so as to be proficient with statsguru!
(ofcourse you are an internet thillalangadi I know that but didnt expect you to know the preseence of something like statsguru let alone use it so masterfully!)

++

app,

cant access cricinfo from office... willl check ur link from home...

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:42 pm

என்னங்க இதுக்கெல்லாம் ஷாக் ஆகிக்கிட்டு Smile

I lost interest in closely following cricket from the time when match-fixing came to be exposed Embarassed

Occasionally (as in world cup time) I follow matches on internet (having NOT signed up to any Indian TV channels)...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:44 pm

This must be an "etc" news in this forum (& thread)...but somewhat related to cricket:

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-01-04/india/36148095_1_miandad-pakistani-visa-pakistan-cricket-board

Pakistan cricketer Javed Miandad on Friday has cancelled his tour of India. The news of Miandad being granted a visa by the authorities has generated a lot of controversy in India with a number of politicians questioning the decision as Miandad's family has ties with Dawood Ibrahim, India's most wanted terrorist.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Retirements, Obituary etc 7C948E12D93F11D4FC837922685B7_h498_w598_m2

Viv R with kAdhali?

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content