Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "spiritual"/"religous"/orvwhatever similar IR stuff.

5 posters

Go down

The "spiritual"/"religous"/orvwhatever similar IR stuff. Empty The "spiritual"/"religous"/orvwhatever similar IR stuff.

Post  Admin Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:16 pm

I am not religious. I don't even know what that means. I call myself an agnostic. Even that I don't know it that means. But once upon a time, I wanted to become a priest. Hindu priest, of course. My mother's side are apparently religiou. Was on my journey and then there was "Guna". I went haywire on Shiva. And this song, even though my preferences has changed, still rocks my socks off (if I am still wearing a pair)

PS. No altar in my home, not even for my Catholic wife (her wish), but there is a bearded Siva poster on the wall, still there questioning my conscience.

Admin
Admin

https://ilayaraja.forumms.net

Back to top Go down

The "spiritual"/"religous"/orvwhatever similar IR stuff. Empty Re: The "spiritual"/"religous"/orvwhatever similar IR stuff.

Post  plum Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:05 pm

Bearded Siva Poster - ha ha I know from which movie!

plum

Back to top Go down

The "spiritual"/"religous"/orvwhatever similar IR stuff. Empty Re: The "spiritual"/"religous"/orvwhatever similar IR stuff.

Post  Admin Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:03 am

Of course, how can you forget the pattinathar-esque title song from the same movie

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:24 am

This is the first film song which comes to my mind. Thalaivar's monumental composition and I sadly miss and remember MV whenever I hear this song. Crying or Very sad When MV sings 'theeyellaam poovaaga maarattum' I can't describe the feelings I get. I believe everyone knows the theatre atmosphere during this song. I have seen people dancing throughout the song with some going wild. Very very powerful composition and singing.

V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:30 am

MV, man, what great contributions he made. What powerful song this is. Sad that he's gone.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:57 am

After a powerful one, here is a sublime one. The more I hear this composition, the more I move towards spiritual. When KJY sings 'thEdinEn dEva dEvaa, thaamarai paadhamE', especially paadhamE, Maestro brings it down and KJY goes to his baritone as the word 'paadham' means on the earth and down, so Maestro brings it down superbly. Then he gradually builds up, very sweet and again very moving song. As we keep engrossed ourselves in this sweetest tune, he brings another big surprise, Kaadhil naan kEttadhu, vEnu gaanamrutham, kaNNIl naan kandathu kaNNan brindhaavanam' and he peaks up high, maayanE nEyanE maasilaatha thooyanE and again falls down in 'aathma nyaanam adaintha pinnum' and brilliantly connects to the pallavi 'thEdinEn dEva dEvaa'. This composition is full of surprises and we cannot escape tears rolling out. Rajini's brilliant portrayal of Sri Raghavendrar makes us watch the film and the songs again and again. The chant 'guruvE saranam' gives that divine and closer to God feeling. When KJY sings as Sri Raghavendrar's soul in soft voice, we can hear the pain in Malaysia Vasudevan's hard voice as he sings for Delhi Ganesh (a supreme devotee) fearing he might not see his guru. The song wonderfully peaks at the end giving a fitting finish! This song can move anyone, bar none.

V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:13 am

I was watching 'Idhayam thotta Isaignani' on Vijay TV. Rajkiran was sharing his memories of En Raasaavin Manasile and Aranmanai KiLi. Looks like Raja composed all his films songs in just 30 minutes. He tells that he used to present 'dolls' before him and Raja used to create life in it using his BGM.

He explains a scene where he was driven by his sister-in-law and he walks off throwing his stick away. Camera man and director wants to cut off there itself, instead Rajkiran walks for a longer time as he wanted that shot to prolong till he was satisfied. He already assumed that Raja will play SOlai PasungkiLiyE in flute to bring out the weakness in him as his wife passed away. A man who was strong before became empty when he lost her. When he went with this scene to Raja, Raja exactly played the same tune in flute.

Rajkiran explains about how 'En Thaayenum kOyila kaakka maranthitta paaviyadi kiLiyE' song was born. Those who say Raja needs to be inspired by the situation/story need to hear this. This one clearly says he is not a director's music director. Rajkiran says he didn't have any story for Aranmanai KiLi, just he went to Raja and ask him to compose 7 super hit songs. Based on that he would build a story. It seems Raja himself gave a story line and composed all these 7 songs in 30 minutes. When he started singing this song, Sundarrajan and him were in tears.

Just like there is a source for water/waterfall, he is the source of music. Wherever you touch him, music will flow. The reason I am saying this is because mother is the source of creation. We all are born from mother's womb. Without source there is no destination. Without mother we are not here. Without her there is no path to glory or spirituality. That's why whenever we talk of Raja we often talk about mother. Whenever we talk of mother, we often talk about Raja. He is gifted with purest music. In that sense, all his mother songs are most spiritual in nature.

That's why he says these lines:

Deivamathu thaaikku keezhathaan, en thaayavalum saamikku mElathaan in pEtha manasu suthathilum suthamadaa from Enna petha Raasa. Whenever Raja sings these lines I cannot go beyond that line.
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0862'&lang=en

kettuppOna thaayee engum illavE illai in ponna pOla Aatha from Ennai vittu pOgaathE. The way he tuned this line and finishes with 'aathaa....'. Hear how he sings these lines. No singer can bring life the way Raja brings. It can only come from a purest musician Ilaiyaraaja. No awards can get you this line. A real composer of all times.
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0870'&lang=en

This is also one of the reasons I like Ramarajan and Rajkiran films. Mostly Raja would have sung for them and it is so effective. This is just a drop in a ocean of his mother songs which can definitely lead us to spirituality.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:32 am

My mother and father are gods to me. Of course, mothers' occupy higher place. I have been avoiding the above mother songs for last few years, things have not been rosy between me and my mom. If I hear those songs, I'd cry, I don't know whether its guilt, or simply the man knows the way to right into your heart and switch the goddam tear switch. Those songs were huge hit during my high school days (pre 1993), among us (and classmates).

Interestingly, I have an aunt (who prefers the 50s, an MGR fan) who started complaining that Ilayaraja is singing too many songs especially those mother songs and he sound the same it seems; and he should leave it to the real professionals. And I'm, like, wtf??? He's the owner of that song! And what's wrong with the singing or who else can sing better than that?

Ejjambil: Mother song illa? Take nAnAga nAn illai thAyE. SPB is awesome. But the feel for the mother is better expressed in IR's version, which I prefer. SPB version suited Kamal. IR version suited the rest of the world.

Of course, I never argue with my aunt, but used to laugh at her complaint with my buddies (ithukunE oru thread arambikkalAm: "Complaints you heard about IR and let's laugh our ass off at it" thread.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:15 pm

Admin wrote:SPB version suited Kamal. IR version suited the rest of the world.
Exactly! What a coinage grouch! How true!! Yes we cannot hear these songs often fearing of breaking down. The thing is not many composers understands the human emotions like Raja does.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:22 pm

VS .. yesterday I was stuck in the train with SF Giants fans standing for the whole 45 minute commute to work. I watched the idhayam thotta isaignani episodes all the way which made me forget that my legs were aching.
Some people make fun of IR's amma songs. My point is - you have to feel deeply about something or somebody ... and it is very easy to feel for something like mom, god/religion or even food. But when you dont have such deep feeling about anything what will interest you ? what will make you work hard ?
I was surprised to hear rajkiran's version of the genesis of aranmana kiLi. He also seems to be a passionate man. He says, I also love my mom and IR also loves his mom.. You can see why they are in the same wavelength. Rajkiran mentioned the secret of his health is '5 vELai thozhugai'. Note, IR's religions beliefs are different but they are great friends and work well. Amazing gentlemen.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:13 pm

Absolutely you nailed it! When it comes to Raja's compositions, we don't see them as just compositions. Just like we are having a relation with IR's music, Raja has close relations with every director and producer he is/has working/worked. It is more of a family get together, more than the music. That's why we keep hearing that whenever they meet Raja, they feel at home. It is not business alone. That's why we still hear Raja saying to GVM, 'EnnOdu vaa vaa endru sollamaatten, unnai vittu vEru engum pOgamaattEn'. It is not just applicable to GVM alone, to everyone. Some might twist it because of his insecurity of being the market, but he does not have to prove to anyone, especially at this stage. The real truth is he has always been with them (every one of them) and only they move out of him, if we think closely. That's also a reason I like those 80's/90's directors who worked with him, as they still remember and revere him, which we don't see much in today's music scenario.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  kameshratnam Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:58 pm

What is NOKIA OVI?

How can i download this album?

http://music.ovi.com/in/en/pc/Product/Ilaiyaraaja/Vedic-Chanting/24193646

Some has it? Please share it here

kameshratnam

http://soundcloud.com/kameshratnam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down