Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All about Jazz.com reviews NEETHANE EN PONVASANTHAM !

+6
rajkumarc
crimson king
baroque
jaiganesh
fring151
irir123
10 posters

Go down

All about Jazz.com reviews NEETHANE EN PONVASANTHAM  ! Empty All about Jazz.com reviews NEETHANE EN PONVASANTHAM !

Post  irir123 Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:17 am

NEETHANE EN PONVASANTHAM glorifyingly reviewed by Allaboutjazz.com !

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=45539#.Umb1p1MuegR

IR's output is considered and compared with those of Pat Metheny's work with pianist Lyle Mays, the classic Gil Evans, Oliver Nelson instrumentation, and the tempo of Tom Petty !!
irir123
irir123

Back to top Go down

All about Jazz.com reviews NEETHANE EN PONVASANTHAM  ! Empty Re: All about Jazz.com reviews NEETHANE EN PONVASANTHAM !

Post  fring151 Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:47 am

Thanks a lot irir123 for getting this reviewed. Considering that the album as a whole is far from pure jazz and in a language not understood by the reviewer, I'd call this quite a positive review. Perhaps he didn't mention Satru munbu as it doesn't have any definitive jazz or rock elements. If I remember right, you posted a while back that the reviewer wrote back saying some of the vocals don't add anything to the songs (referring to Saindhu saindhu). That being the case, the way he has phrased it in the actual review is milder. I consider it to be Raja's vettri that a neutral jazz critic finds Kaatrai konjam and saindhu saindhu only "curiously jazz-like". New genre indeed!

"Every tune has vocals, and while several tunes present light and floating orchestration that's curiously jazz-like, these vocals often bring them back to earth."

fring151

Back to top Go down

All about Jazz.com reviews NEETHANE EN PONVASANTHAM  ! Empty Re: All about Jazz.com reviews NEETHANE EN PONVASANTHAM !

Post  jaiganesh Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:07 am

Awesome - Fantastic review - and purists watch how this reviewer doesnt find the voice of yuvan odd- years of carnatic listening sometimes makes ppl
prejudiced against certain elements of singing in human voices.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  baroque Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:47 am

Good job, irir123.

mmm.... for me to understand his references , I need to listen & learn  the styles of Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, Oliver Nelson.
yenakku avallam theriyaadhey...Very Happy  any of the above closer to Dexter Gordon or George Brooks, I have listened to couple of their tracks.
Raja's music is like mother's milk rich & complex.
baroque
baroque

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:51 am

That's a pretty big deal, man, all about jazz is a very well known website.All about Jazz.com reviews NEETHANE EN PONVASANTHAM  ! 2798411019  Nice review but not a word about Sattru Munbu or Mudhal Murai (?) All about Jazz.com reviews NEETHANE EN PONVASANTHAM  ! 1965431236

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:56 am

baroque wrote:Good job, irir123.

mmm.... for me to understand his references , I need to listen & learn  the styles of Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, Oliver Nelson.
yenakku avallam theriyaadhey...Very Happy  any of the above closer to Dexter Gordon or George Brooks, I have listened to couple of their tracks.
Raja's music is like mother's milk rich & complex.
Pat Metheny with Lyle Mays on piano:

No idea about Oliver Nelson or Gil Evans.  I only know Bill Evans.Very Happy

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  baroque Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:31 am

Crimson king,

Jazz.com has some nice articles on various artists & 12 of their essential performances. They have featured Pat metheny. just check out their picks, nice guidance.

George Brooks has performed with Ronu majumdar at  a sanjose  hindustani sangeeth society.  I liked it.
baroque
baroque

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:41 am

Great work irir123 in getting NEPV reviewed in a renowned Jazz magazine, happy to see your efforts get the success they deserve. Great review. Wonder why Mudhal Murai & Satru Munbu were not talked about.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:30 pm

baroque wrote:Crimson king,

Jazz.com has some nice articles on various artists & 12 of their essential performances. They have featured Pat metheny. just check out their picks, nice guidance.

George Brooks has performed with Ronu majumdar at  a sanjose  hindustani sangeeth society.  I liked it.
Ah but I am already quite familiar with Metheny.  

Just listening to Oliver Nelson and Gil Evans, sounds great. Shall start looking for works of theirs.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Congrats irir123, this review says more about your passion and perseverance than about IR's music.
Wishing you all the best in your professional career !!
(BTW, it is difficult to do serious jazz or WCM in our movies. that is our social/cultural situation .. so any favorable appreciation from critics speaks volumes about our man )

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  irir123 Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:46 am

kiru wrote:Congrats irir123, this review says more about your passion and perseverance than about IR's music.
(BTW, it is difficult to do serious jazz or WCM in our movies. that is our social/cultural situation .. so any favorable appreciation from critics speaks volumes about our man )
thanks Kiru - wish I could do more - more than me Mysshkin has done a fantastic job of releasing the soundtrack of "Onnayum.."

a music student from Illinois who specializes in cello performance - a gifted one at that if one goes by the scholarships she has been awarded - is very keen on doing a project on IR as part of her school's dissertation - she loves IR's works, especially the non-filmy works.
irir123
irir123

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:10 am

irir123 wrote:
kiru wrote:Congrats irir123, this review says more about your passion and perseverance than about IR's music.
thanks Kiru - wish I could do more - more than me Mysshkin has done a fantastic job of releasing the soundtrack of "Onnayum.."

a music student from Illinois who specializes in cello performance - a gifted one at that if one goes by the scholarships she has been awarded - is very keen on doing a project on IR as part of her school's dissertation - she loves IR's works, especially the non-filmy works.
Yes, mysskin has done a great job ..apparently IR has asked for more "time and space" in the future, as he did not get enough time to do justice to this movie !!!!
While other movie directors were thrilled when Rahman recreated the same 'sound' as in US/European pop music, mysskin is very thrilled in IR recreating that "hollywood bgm sound". Looks like in this case, IR also is not offended by these comparisons. If only our directors were more structured/systematic in the screen play , IR can also do more structured work. I remember Rahman mentioned about 27 "cues" in slumdog. IR needs directors like that. mysskin is very thrilled about OAK and I am sure his next movie also will be very "musically" guided. This could be a new opportunity for IR after NEPV rejuvenating him on the song side.

Re: research - earlier I suggested all of us here in the US contributing a small amount every month to fund some music research in India. Let me know what you think about this.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  raja4ever Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:40 am

irir123 wrote:

Congratulations irir123 ! your passion towards Raaja's music is something special... Kiru.. count me on the funding for music research in India..

raja4ever

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:15 am

Ayyayo mokka pasanga comments pOda ArambichitAngale. Namma forathu Alunga pOi urupadiya edhavdhu pOdanum to redeem IR fans' mAnam on allaboutjazz. Milli, BRangara kitta picha edutha mAdhiri ingeyum picha edukka vandhutAnga - idha review pannu, adha review pannunu sollikittu Mad 

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=45539#.Umi5zvlQGSq

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:26 am

fring151 wrote:Ayyayo mokka pasanga comments pOda ArambichitAngale. Namma forathu Alunga pOi urupadiya edhavdhu pOdanum to redeem IR fans' mAnam on allaboutjazz. Milli, BRangara kitta picha edutha mAdhiri ingeyum picha edukka vandhutAnga - idha review pannu, adha review pannunu sollikittu Mad 

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=45539#.Umi5zvlQGSq
lol! occupational hazards of sharing this on twitter and social media to make sure as many people read it as is possible.

Two gems:
"Please review Maestro Ilaiyaraaja's latest OST "Onaayum Aattukuttiyum"(Wolf and Lamb)."
As the site says, this is a jazz-only site. He asks to review OAK. maLiga kadaila oru meter thuNi kEppayA da?

'I request you to review Maestro ilayaraja's new hit album 'Megha', the same 'Neethane En Pon Vasantham' team joined again for this movie."

DEI!
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:57 pm

irir, any chance that he would be interested in reviewing How To Name It or Nothing But Wind?

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  irir123 Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:28 pm

crimson king wrote:irir, any chance that he would be interested in reviewing How To Name It or Nothing But Wind?
this is a site that focusses entirely on jazz - with great difficulty convinced him to do the review of a film album - and he has been generous enough to do so - HTNI and NBW stand no chance of being reviewed for a jazz review site
irir123
irir123

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:19 pm

irir123,

உங்கள் கடின உழைப்புக்கு நன்றி சார்!

கிட்டிய இந்த பலனுக்கு வாழ்த்துகள்!

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:41 pm

crimson king wrote:irir, any chance that he would be interested in reviewing How To Name It or Nothing But Wind?
A friend had forwarded this review to me a few months back. 
[url=http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/daily/article.cfm/articleID/6175/An- "An 'Unknown]http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/daily/article.cfm/articleID/6175/An-%20%22An%20'Unknown[/url]

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:25 am

irir123 wrote:
this is a site that focusses entirely on jazz - with great difficulty convinced him to do the review of a film album - and he has been generous enough to do so - HTNI and NBW stand no chance of being reviewed for a jazz review site
Ah, ok.  I only suggested because HTNI gets closer to Mahavishnu Orchestra-type music (especially Is It Fixed) and probably more compatible with the requirements of a jazz website.  By the way, allaboutjazz has reviewed progressive rock before so they are not necessarily rigid about it.  But I don't mean to trouble you, so hats off for your efforts.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:44 am

fring151 wrote:
[url=http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/daily/article.cfm/articleID/6175/An- "An 'Unknown]http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/daily/article.cfm/articleID/6175/An-%20%22An%20'Unknown[/url]
Have read this before, good summing up of both albums.  Note that he recommends NBW as an easier initiation for Western listeners.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  baroque Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:24 am

Crimson, this site has reviewed SPIRIT AND SPICE of George Brooks which is  new age fusion like Shakthi.
These albums are novelty listening for me.
but our IR compositions emotions, feelings  are  amazing
for that matter I can on & on enjoy Indian film music compositions in jazz or waltz or  other genres than those novelty albums.  I get obsessed with them.Very Happy 
Definitely this site deserve to know the Megha's jazz track.
baroque
baroque

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:05 am

crimson king wrote:
fring151 wrote:
Have read this before, good summing up of both albums.  Note that he recommends NBW as an easier initiation for Western listeners.
Yes, I found that kind of surprising. I am guessing he found the 'Mozartian' arrangements to be easier listening.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Goes back to the discussion on the Onaayum thread.  For some reason, baroque is not liked that much in Western circles.  Classical/romantic is what they prefer.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down