Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo

+20
irir123
Manoj Raj
irfan123
ravinat
Raaga_Suresh
Drunkenmunk
plum
al_gates
endrum_raja
Usha
kiru
olichudar
jaiganesh
sagi
groucho070
rajkumarc
SenthilVinu
mythila
V_S
app_engine
24 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 2 Empty Re: Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo

Post  app_engine Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:48 pm

The next number from kallukkuL eeram written by GA, "thOppiloru nAdakam nadakkuthu ElElangiLiyE" had been thoroughly analyzed by V_Sji in the hub when he wrote about non-solo songs sung by IR:

Please go there to read the complete post

Let me reproduce his concluding remarks :

V_Sji wrote:

Maestro's music is all about emotions, all the emotions right from our birth till our death, not just our emotions, emotions of the people, nature and the world, no exceptions. Maestro only requests us to just sit back and enjoy and bring back our glorious childhood memories through this song!

Let me add, GA beautifully complements with his nach-nach words & phrases to decorate the emotions painted by rAsA music!

pAdal varikaL idhO:

பல்லவி:

தோப்பிலொரு நாடகம் நடக்குது ஏலேலங்கிளியே
தோகை மயில் ஆட்டம் போடுது ஏலேலங்கிளியே
நாடகத்துக் கதையோ புதுசு, நடிக்க வந்த ஆளும் புதுசு
நாங்க இப்ப நடத்துற கதையில ராசா ஒன்னு ராணி ஒன்னு ஆடுது பாடுது அம்மாடி!

சரணம் 1:

பார்த்தாலும் பார்த்தேன் அட நாலும் நானும் பார்த்தேன்
கேட்டாலும் கேட்டேன் உன் கீர்த்தி யாவும் கேட்டேன்
நெஞ்சுக்குள்ள நெனச்சேன் நிம்மதிய கொறச்சேன் என்னத்த சொல்வேன்

அத மாதிரி நீ காதலி
ஆசையில பலவித நெனப்புல பார்த்தேன் ஒன்ன, கேட்டேன் ஒன்ன பாசத்துல தவியா இருந்து தவிச்சேன்

சரணம் 2:

பாக்காத கண்ணு தெனம் ஏக்கத்தோட தேடும்
கேக்காத ஒன்னு மனம் ராகத்தோட பாடும்
பக்கத்துல இருந்தா சொர்க்கத்துக்கு விருந்தா தொட்டு ரசிப்பேன்

ஒரு நாளிலே தீருமா?
தூக்கத்தில தொடருற கனவுல தொட்டா என்ன பட்டா என்ன
ஆசையிலே அணைச்சா ரசிச்சா என்ன

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9XoNUV44qI

Last edited by app_engine on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 2 Empty Re: Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo

Post  app_engine Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:51 pm

As I mentioned before, all the four songs of kallukkuL eeram can be classified under the "decent, nice" category. The last one, 'eNNaththil EdhO sillenRadhu' pallavi was somewhat novel for that time period IMHO, because it had only 3 phrases which is an odd number (and the first phrase gets repeated as the 4th, to get even)...

Anyways, here are the lines (both this song and thOppiloru are hard to find on the web...while I could do "copy / paste / listen and correct" for the other two songs, I had to freshly type out these two numbers Smile )

பல்லவி:

எண்ணத்தில் ஏதோ சில்லென்றது
ஏழை தேகம் ஏங்கும் மோகம் நில்லென்றது
ஓ ஓ சொல்லென்றது ஓ ஓ எண்ணத்தில் ஏதோ சில்லென்றது

சரணம் 1:

தென்றல் அது தரும் சந்தம் சேரும் அதிலொரு சொந்தம்
துளிர் விடும் ஆசை ஆடியது, தொடர்ந்தொரு ராகம் பாடியது
உள்ளூற மெல்லாடும் உண்டான சந்தோஷம்
காதல் ராகம் தொட்டு ஆடும் நேரம் காலம்

சரணம் 2:

மாலை தழுவிய வண்ணம் மனதைத் தழுவிய எண்ணம்
மறுபடி சேரும் காலம் எது? மடியினில் ஆடும் நேரம் எது?
ஏறாத இன்பங்கள் காணாத சொந்தங்கள்
மேலும் மேலும் என்னைச்சேரும் காலம் எங்கே?

thiraippAdal:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1447'&lang=en

youtube:

With just two movies (alaigaL Oyvathillai & kallukkuL eeram, both with BR tags), we've already got 5 beautiful hit songs by GA. If this many hits had been done by ANY lyricist in his whole career in the 90's or the new millennium, he would have already got some titles & awards Laughing

Well, we'll probably score a century in this thread (may be more) and then move on to his other talents!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Sorry to break the thread's flow:

Amar's latest in terms of lyrics.
https://twitter.com/gvprakash/status/291178327178375168/photo/1/large (Plis to note a 'poththi vechcha' song Laughing )

He has also sung a song for GVP in Bala's paradesi.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:29 pm

The next song and album that I want to highlight here is something NO ONE would associate with nAttuppuRam & dappAnguththu (and, by extension, never with GA)...

It was one of the most modern scores for the year 1980! And, a top hit song from the album got featured in a popular "peter" movie in the new millennium! Needless to say it got featured in the IR-JayaTV music show as well!

Well, before featuring that stupendous GA song, let's focus on the other number from the same album first! A short 3 min song, with considerable duration taken up by instrumental & humming portions - thus leaving very less room for poem. Still, GA provides some refreshing & stylish lines:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2064'&lang=en

பல்லவி

பருவ காலங்களின் கனவு
நெஞ்சில் பளிங்கு போல வந்த நினைவு
தழுவிச் சேருகின்ற நிறைவு
இன்பத்தவிப்பை ஏற்றுகின்ற உறவு
உன் நினைவு!

சரணம்

இடைவெளி இல்லாத தொடர்கதை
எழுத்திலும் சொல்லாத புதுச் சுவை
இதழின் மேலாக இனிமை நூறாக எழுது
இரவு முடியாதபொழுது விடிகின்ற பொழுது
தழுவத்தானே தவித்த மானே
இனிமை உன்னோடு!

(movie - rAsA's 100th aka moodupani, directed by BM, his wife Shobha & his AsthAna artist Banuchandar on screen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH0NnuPX_Ec

Those who can afford a few more minutes please continue to read what got triggered from my memory last night (WARNING : masAlA Laughing )...

The words 'paLingu' & 'paruvam' obviouly takes one to the LRE hit song. Interestingly, while both these songs do not refer to the literal 'paLingu' but only use it as a simile / metaphor for other "things", my mind always recall glass / crystal / marble / glazed tile kind of construction materials that my b-i-ls deal with. It's always a fascinating topic for me. (When a supplier took me for dinner to the Leela hotel in Mumbai, we talked about the Italian marble that decorated the building more than other things).

This was the conversation with my big boss when he came to my Palakkad house-warming in '95 :

"Hey, nice tile work & kadappA/marble work - who is your contractor? Was it yOhannAn?" (the top guy in that town)

"Oh, I can never afford him...since the local group that I used for the project didn't have the skills, I requested my b-i-l and he sent a few boys from Trichy...they finished it in a couple of days"

He got impressed and told the project manager for the new factory building to get the boys thru me Shocked (It was a big project, a building of 3 floors with each floor > 60K sqft and considerable area -1000s of sqft - with tiles / marbles etc).

My b-i-l sent the main boy who started his work at the site a few miles from our home and he was provided accommodation at the site.

After a week or so, I casually asked the project manager (who lived in my sub-division / colony and a colleague too) : "Is the guy meeting your expectations? Are you satisfied with the speed / quality of the work?

"The work is terrific - super fast and high quality! There's just one minor issue" (He did a namuttuch chirippu and I got confused)

"The fellow lived in the site only for a couple of days...now he started kudumbam nadaththifying with a malayALi siththAL and is living with her" Shocked

lol! I got surprised at the efficiency of that fellow, a little amused, but was obliged to inform my b-i-l.

When my b-i-l communicated to the boy's family, however, it reportedly created a tremor / boogambam / tsumani / puyal etc in their family as he was already engaged, muRaippoNNu, expected to marry shortly etc...They wanted him report back the very next day it seems.

Well, fortunately, no more drama occured...he completed the project, and somehow amicably closed the relationship too and escaped...unlike Viv Richards Neena Gupta, this couple didn't make a baby, so one less complication.

Anytime marble / glazed tile etc becomes a topic of thought, my mind does an auto-recall of that guy and I cannot avoid the amusement Smile

GA's lines are definitely great poem, because என் "நெஞ்சில் பளிங்கு போல வந்த நினைவு" happened to be the "பருவ காலங்களின் கனவு" of that tile worker!

lol!

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Continuing with moodupani, I was impressed to see GA's pic on the album cover (much like the kallukuL eeram one, posted in the vinyl album thread)!

I don't remember associating that album with GA at any point of time even though 'en iniya pon nilAvE' is among my all-time-top-IR-favourites.

That song obviously does not need any introduction / references / links / write-ups etc., being (most probably) precious to every IRF.

Makes me work less Smile It's just sufficient that I do this "koovikkoovi viRkal" that Gangai Amaran wrote the lines for this all-time-famous classic!

Here are those lines for this guitar beauty, for quick ref:

பல்லவி:

என் இனிய பொன் நிலாவே
பொன் நிலவில் என் கனாவே
நினைவிலே புது சுகம்
தொடருதே தினம் தினம்

சரணம் 1:

பன்னீரைத் தூவும் மழை
சில்லென்ற காற்றின் அலை
சேர்ந்தாடும் இந்நேரமே

என் நெஞ்சில் என்னென்னவோ
வண்ணங்கள் ஆடும் நிலை
என்னாசை உன்னோரமே

வெண் நீல வானில் அதில் என்னென்ன மேகம்
ஊர்கோலம் போகும் அதன் உள்ளாடும் தாகம்
புரியாதோ என் எண்ணமே அன்பே...

சரணம் 2:

பொன்மாலை நேரங்களே
என் இன்ப ராகங்களே
பூவான கோலங்களே

தென் காற்றின் இன்பங்களே
தேனாடும் ரோஜாக்களே
என்னென்ன ஜாலங்களே

கண்ணோடு தோன்றும் சிறு கண்ணீரில் ஆடும்
கை சேரும் காலம் அதை என் நெஞ்சம் தேடும்
இதுதானே என் ஆசைகள் அன்பே!

Though the song is of romantic genre, look at how words sweetly include the beauty of nature!

More power to GA as a worthy competition to VM for iyaRkai azhagu songs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IXuH6ScQZM

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:25 pm

We've seen a few samples that should have already dispelled the myth that GA wrote only dappAnguththu songs (or nAttuppuRa songs). Obviously, there are a lot more to be showcased on this thread...let's continue to collect them.

Meanwhile, a small gear-shift.

The samples that appeared so far happened to be all romantic / natural beauty /pleasant but not highly emotional kinds. Let me quickly list them :

-putham puthukkAlai
-siRu ponmaNi asaiyum
-kothamallippoovE
-thOppiloru nAdakam nadakkudhu
-eNNaththil EdhO sillenRadhu
-paruva kAlangaLin kanavu
-en iniya pon nilAvE

Has he done some pathos kind of emotional stuff? Not just for name's sake - something quite competently and one that went on to become popular, lingering in the minds of people for a long time?

'vaigaRaiyil vaigai karaiyil' song of payaNangaL mudivadhillai comes to mind!

The song happens to be the last number in the movie, close to its ending, in a serious situation. With all those heavy pathos music (shehnAi / strings etc), the lines were expected to be weighty enough. That is, those should not water down the situation or make people laugh at them - as in the case of some recent "serious songs" (e.g. EzhAm aRivu)...

Needless to say, GA managed to live up to the requirements. Let us look at the lines now:

பல்லவி:

வைகறையில் வைகைக் கரையில்
வந்தால் வருவேன் உன்னருகில்
உன் நினைவில் நெஞ்சம் வான்வெளியில்
நாளும் நடத்தும் ஊர்வலங்கள்

சரணம் 1:

உன் நினைவே எனக்கோர் சுருதி
உன் கனவே எனக்கோர் கிருதி
உன் உணர்வில் மனமே உருகி
வாடுதம்மா மலர்போல் கருகி
பலப்பல ஜென்மம் நானெடுப்பேன்
பாடல்கள் கோடி நான் படிப்பேன்
அன்பே உனக்கே காத்திருப்பேன்

சரணம் 2:

ஆயிரமாயிரம் ஆசைகளை
ஆசையில் உன்னிடம் பேச வந்தேன்
ஆவியில் மேவிய சேதிகளை
கேளென நெஞ்சிடம் கூற வந்தேன்
நினைவுகள் எங்கோ அலைகிறதே
கனவுகள் ஏனோ கலைகிறதே
நிழல் போல் உன்னைத் தொடர்கிறதே

thiraippAdal link:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2677'&lang=en

youtube:

Perhaps one of the best pathos songs in SPB's voice...(IR's music sounds like a temple bhajan in part but the strings bring the movie mood aptly!)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  groucho070 Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:02 am

app, this one or that coughing song the last in the movie? I think its the latter. (We use to make fun of the blood cancer back then, when Kamal also appeared as a victim that year). But now, as adult, jeez man, what a condition to be in....Mom said she can't watch both movies now without getting depressed.

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:05 pm

groucho070 wrote:app, this one or that coughing song the last in the movie? I think its the latter.

illeenga Smile

'maNiyOsai kEttu ezhundhu' (the coughing song) is when the heroine first learns that the hero is "avoiding" her. (She typically accompanied him to studio for his prior assignments but this one without her ; she rushes to find out why but he is cold to her). In a way, it's the "break-up" song Laughing

'vaigaraiyil' comes many scenes later.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Let's continue with one more "pathos" number written by GA. This came a year before that vaigaRaiyil number of PM.

adhAvadhu, from the 100th movie of Kamal - rAja pArvai!

Since the movie was about an artist who could not see (and thus the poetic title for the movie), there had to be some references to vizhi. At least that was my expectation in the song lines. Without disappointing such enthusiasts, the Kamal-IR combo included a song that started with vizhi Smile

(Well, for simplicity's sake, I placed only the name of Kamal the hero, producer and singer of the song. sangeetham paththina discussionla Singeetham pEr pOdalainnu yArum kOchchukkAdheenga. Laughing )

I don't remember associating GA clearly with that song. Well, the magazines were going so much gAgA with andhi mazhai and the latest sensation Vairamuthu that they clearly ignored the lyricists of the other two songs. Listeners didn't care much either. However, rAsA did his job with the music companies properly and one can see the pictures of both kavingar and GA in the cover of the vinyl that had 'azhagE azhagu' & 'vizhiyOraththukkanavum' Smile

The lines are quite decent (and the solo-violin-dominated orch & emotional singing by Sasireka / Kamal gets the song the required appeal of "unarchchivasam"):

பல்லவி

விழியோரத்துக் கனவும்
இங்கு கரைந்தோடிடுதே
விடியும் என்ற பொழுதில்
வந்து இருள் மூடிடுதே

கதைபோல் வந்த உறவு
இடையே இந்த பிரிவு
இசை கூடிய கவிதை
அதன் ஒலித்தேன் அதும் ஏனோ?

சரணம்

ஒரு ஓவியக்கவிதை
கண்ணீரினில் நனையும்
ஒரு காவியக்கனவை
தினமும் மனம் நினைக்கும்

இருகாதலர் நடத்தும்
தனிமைப் பயணம்
ஒரு பாதையில் இருந்தும்
அதில் பிரிவென்பதும் ஏனோ?

Listen to the song here:
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3061'&lang=en
Youtube:

Last edited by app_engine on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:04 am

Great..for doing justice to GA's skills. I think he is a fantastic lyricist. Wish IR lets him write now for him. Let bygones be bygones. Hope brothers will be brothers again.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 am

Now we are moving into double digits Smile

The tenth song we host in our thread - written by GA under IR's music - has to be an extra-special one. From an extra-special album. Well, whichever way one looks at it, nizhalgaL is extra-special!

While a lot of recognition had been given by IRFs (and media) to VM for 'idhu oru ponmAlaip pozhudhu' (deservingly so), not many even know that GA wrote a terrific song in that album Shocked Until the arrival of tfmpage, even me -an ardent admirer of nizhagaL songs - wasn't aware of the fact that 'poongathavE thAzh thiRavAy' was by GA Embarassed

What makes me feel worse is I've discussed a lot about this song in our "sitting-on-parapet-wall" conversations in the hostel. And never ever we bothered to comment on the lyricist / commend him etc. Well, the conversations were often of "adults only" nature. I had been given the book கலிங்கத்துப்பரணி as a prize during school days. Since it was a "seyyuL + pozhippurai", never bothered to read it at that time. During the college first year, we experienced a lot of holidays due to many exam postponements and I often ended up spending weeks at home. With all my schoolmates gone from the hamlet, I had not much company. So, to kill the time started reading any material that I could get to and this book too was read for the first time!

At that age, I got shocked reading the poems and the pozhippurai of the section 2 called கடை திறப்பு and had to take that book to the hostel to share with the hostelmates Embarassed Now, leaving the juicy material alone, suffice to state that 'poongathavE' song drew a lot of attention / comparison to SeyangoNdAr's kadai thiRappu Laughing

So, does not a song that prompted engg. guys to discuss Thamizh litt. call for some recognition to the writer?

lol!

Though all of us are simply taken to a different world by IR's orch (drums+mridhangam concoction as percussion for e.g.), right now let's return back and plant our feet on earth to have a look at the lines:

பல்லவி

பூங்கதவே தாழ் திறவாய்
பூவாய் பெண் பாவாய்
பொன் மாலை சூடிடும்
பூவாய் பெண் பாவாய்

சரணம் 1

நீரோட்டம் போலோடும்
ஆசைக் கனவுகள் ஊர்கோலம்
ஆஹாஹா ஆனந்தம்
ஆடும் நினைவுகள் பூவாரம்
காதல் தெய்வம் தான் வாழ்த்தும்
காதலில் ஊறிய ராகம்

சரணம் 2

திருத்தேகம் எனக்காகும்
தேனில் நனைந்தது என் உள்ளம்
பொன்னாரம் பூவாழை
ஆடும் தோரணம் எங்கெங்கும்
மாலை சூடும் அந்நேரம்
மங்கள வாழ்த்தொலி கீதம்

Thiraippadal link:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2408'&lang=en

youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWqWrC78QCM

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:05 am; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:29 am

app sir,
You are doing an amazing job! cheers Through you I am getting closer to GA lyrics. Definitely this thread serves as an eye opener for me having missed these lyrics and deserving lyricist. I never knew GA wrote poonkathavE. What a miss! Thank you!

Back to top Go down

Post  groucho070 Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:34 am

+1

This thread is a goddamn eye-opener. Didn't know some of those lyrics were by GA. Shocked

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:12 pm

nanRi V_Sji & groucho!

The vinyl covers that featured GA's picture (rAja pArvai / moodupani / kallukkuL eeram etc) triggered me to open this thread and start posting.

Prior to that I wasn't quite this warm to GA either Embarassed That way, I now owe something to musicalaya Smile

****flAsafy alert****

Well, namma kadan thollai remains (moved from GA's credit to musicalaya's credit) Laughing

That way, one will continue all life as kadankAran Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:47 pm

The next song is one which is probably well-known to everyone as a GA number Smile

One of the reasons could be the dinathanthi varalARRu suvadukaL where IR himself spoke elaborately about GA and 'sendhoorappoovE'. (IR initially dismissed the idea proposed by BR to use GA's lyric but got impressed with the lines and thus went ahead with thambi).

Also, GA himself talked about it often in his stage / TV and other media appearances. For e.g. he mentioned once that there's no real flower called 'sendhoorappoo' Laughing It was just a smart coinage by him. (I have seen 'sendhooram' being the name of a color powder used to decorate bulls and oxen during mAttuppongal / jallikkattu in villages. That way 'sendhoorappottu' is quite common in the countryside lingo. Sendhoorappoovu is not. It's a TF-only-word!)

The movie 16V was not only a hit but became a cult-classic in TF history. In addition, the song won many hearts - prior to SJ winning NA. The மூ.ஆ.மு. Sridevi is shown pretty by Niwas's camera in this song - one of the few visually pleasant portions from that movie that otherwise had (technically) low-q camera work.

However, the movie is high on emotions, powered by Kamal and supported by rAsA and can be watched even now with interest IMHO.

This song, with a percussionless pallavi, was a rage at the time of arrival!

There's also a short version of the song on the movie (may not be on the disk) with some words replaced to suit the new-found-love for the girl (i.e. the mayilu-chappAni love). It goes like 'வாழ்த்தொன்று பாடாயோ' in place of 'நீ கொஞ்சம் சொல்லாயோ'.

பல்லவி

செந்தூரப்பூவே செந்தூரப்பூவே
சில்லென்ற காற்றே
என் மன்னன் எங்கே என் மன்னன் எங்கே
நீ கொஞ்சம் சொல்லாயோ

சரணம் 1

தென்றலை தூதுவிட்டு ஒரு சேதிக்கு காத்திருப்பேன்
கண்களை மூடவிட்டு இன்பக் கனவினில் நான் மிதப்பேன்
கன்னிப் பருவத்தில் வந்த கனவிதுவே
எண்ண இனிக்குது அந்த நினைவிதுவே
வண்ணப்பூவே தென்றல் காற்றே
என்னைத்தேடி சுகம் வருமோ

சரணம் 2

நீலக்கருங்குயிலே தென்னஞ் சோலைக்குருவிகளே
கோலமிடும் மயிலே நல்ல கானப் பறவைகளே
மாலை வரும் அந்த நாளை உரைத்திடுங்கள்
சாலை வழியெங்கும் பூவை இறைத்திடுங்கள்
வண்ணப்பூவே தென்றல் காற்றே
என்னைத்தேடி சுகம் வருமோ

thiraippadal link:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0002'&lang=en

youtube:

Last edited by app_engine on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:24 am; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:41 pm

V_S wrote:app sir,
You are doing an amazing job! cheers Through you I am getting closer to GA lyrics. Definitely this thread serves as an eye opener for me having missed these lyrics and deserving lyricist. I never knew GA wrote poonkathavE. What a miss! Thank you!
Me thought it was VM !!!

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:10 am

I started this thread with a pulambal that Gautam missed GA from the directors' list. pOgattum.

Well, he didn't really miss the lyricist GA Smile The very song he himself chose to sing got penned by none other than rAsA's younger bro!

uRavugaL thodar kadhai , uNarvugaL siRu kathai!

What a lovely pallavi line did he construct! The words and phrases sound nice, sit well on the melody and exhibit a decent understanding of life (sounds almost philosophical)!

Above all, it suited the movie theme and the song's setting to a T! One of the loveliest picturizations for rAsA songs - in B & W!

A late 70's song gets picked up by a youththu iconic director after 30 years - to sing as a personal favourite on stage, just with guitar accompaniment, in front of thousands of new millennium Chennai people! Is that not something that one would want to associate with a hip, sophisticated, city-bred lyricist? Probably that's why no one mentions this pattikkAttAn GA - whom they would happily bracket with dappAnguththu & nAdan pAttu Smile

See radiospathy's post here, for e.g.

என்ன அழகான வரிகள், வரிகளைச் சேதப்படுத்தாமல் ஜேசுதாஸின் கனிவான குரலும், இளையராஜாவின் ஆர்ப்பாட்டமற்ற ஒத்தடமாய் இசையும்.

Though there is slAgippu about the lovely lines, there's no mention of GA Mad OTOH, everyone else gets great praise! Well, I'm glad we're undoing a lot of injustice to GA by this thread exercise Smile

This is another "western" song to add to GA's kitty in our thread:

பல்லவி

உறவுகள் தொடர்கதை
உணர்வுகள் சிறுகதை
ஒருகதை என்றும் முடியலாம்
முடிவிலும் ஒன்று தொடரலாம்
இனி எல்லாம் சுகமே

சரணம் 1

உன் நெஞ்சிலே பாரம்
உனக்காகவே நானும்
சுமைதாங்கியாய் தாங்குவேன்
உன் கண்களின் ஓரம்
எதற்காகவோ ஈரம்
கண்ணீரை நான் மாற்றுவேன்
வேதனை தீரலாம் வெறும் பனி விலகலாம்
வெண்மேகமே புது அழகிலே நானும் இணையலாம்

சரணம் 2

வாழ்வென்பதோ கீதம்
வளர்கின்றதோ நாதம்
நாளொன்றிலும் ஆனந்தம்
நீ கண்டதோ துன்பம்
இனி வாழ்வெல்லாம் இன்பம்
சுகராகமே ஆரம்பம்
நதியிலே புதுப்புனல் கடலிலே கலந்தது
நம் சொந்தமோ இன்று இணைந்தது இன்பம் பிறந்தது

thiraippadal link:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0349'&lang=en

youtube:

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:39 am

Amar Singh collar-ai thookki vittukkoLLa another song from avaL appadiththAn - "panneer pushpangaLE"!

Not just for the terrific lines that question the society about the wrongs done to women but also for writing the first song that Kamal sang under IR's music. For a B&W movie produced and directed by Rudraiah. Interestingly, Kamal acts as a film maker / director in this movie and he is perhaps the hottest topic right now for the TF community (viswaroopam) Smile Perhaps there was some mutually beneficial learnings for both Rudraiah and Kamal in AA...(unfortunately, Rudraiah does not have any more proof of his genius. OTOH, Kamal has since directed some acclaimed movies).

Anyways, not to take the focus away, please give some attention to the lines that GA penned for this interesting song that rides on a lovely rAsA melody of early times:

பல்லவி

பன்னீர் புஷ்பங்களே
கானம் பாடு
உன்னைப்போலே எந்தன் உள்ளம் ஆடுது
புதுத்தாளம் தொட்டு ஓ
புது ராகமிட்டு

சரணம் 1:

ஆண் கொண்ட தாகம் தீர்க்கின்ற தேகம்
பெண்ணென்ற ஓரினமோ
இது யார் பாவம்

ஆண் செய்த சட்டம் அவர் போட்ட வட்டம்
அதற்கென்று பெண்ணினமோ
இது யார் சாபம்

நியாயங்களோ பொதுவானது
புரியாமல் போனது

சரணம் 2:

பாஞ்சாலி வாழ்ந்த பரிதாப வாழ்வை
பாராட்ட யாருமில்லை
நிஜ வாழ்க்கையிலே

பலபேரைச் சேரும் பரந்தாமன் தன்னை
புகழ் பாடக்கேட்டதுண்டு
இந்த பூமியிலே

நியாயங்களோ பொதுவானது
புரியாமல் போனது

thiraippadal link:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0348'&lang=en

youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzNeGHpI_B0

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:09 am

UravugaL Thodarkathai is the one I sing often. Last summer when we went for camping with some kannadigas, I sang this song and Naguva Nayana and got lot of applause. Very close to me. To be honest, again I don't know who was the lyricist for UravugaL Thodarkathai till today. Very embarrassed seeing this song in this thread. Embarassed Thanks App for clearing all the clouds in front of us. Very sorry GA sir!.

Atleast from the style, I could conclude that Panner PushpangaLE is infact GA.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 pm

You're welcome V_Sji Smile

I'm glad we're finally showcasing GA...somehow, this guy didn't get the necessary focus during all those tfmpage years. Like I mentioned before, the vinyl covers happened to be the catalyst Smile

Interesting to note that we haven't touched many SPB numbers so far Rolling Eyes Just one vaigaRaiyil IIRC.

Even the next choice happens to be a KJY number...

Last edited by app_engine on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:09 pm

Perhaps the first Vijayakanth movie to have rAsA music. And the lovely Shobha with him on screen in the movie 'agal viLakku'. This number used to be played so often on IOKS and I had to sharply focus my ears to the "valve" radio to catch the lovely bass guitar twist during the first interlude Smile

While the instrumental music, melody and the KJY voice are exotic, one has to admit that the pAdal varikaL too play a role in making one fly when listening to the song! GA gets decent marks for lines that nicely jell with the melody. Also to his credit is careful avoidance of any irritating word / phrase! The phrase "smooth flow" fits this song in every respect Smile

பல்லவி

ஏதோ நினைவுகள் கனவுகள் மனதிலே மலருதே
காவேரி ஊற்றாகவே காற்றோடு காற்றாகவே
தினம் காண்பது தான் ஏதோ..

சரணம் 1

மார்பினில் நானும் மாறாமல் சேரும்
காலம் தான் வேண்டும்
வான்வெளி எங்கும் என் காதல் கீதம்
பாடும் நாள் வேண்டும்
தேவைகள் எல்லாம் தீராத நேரம்
தேவன் நீ வேண்டும்
சேரும் நாள் வேண்டும்

சரணம் 2

நாடிய சொந்தம் நாம் காணும் பந்தம்
இன்பம் பேரின்பம்
நாளொரு வண்ணம் நாம் காணும் எண்ணம்
ஆஹா ஆனந்தம்
காற்றினில் செல்லும் என் காதல் எண்ணம்
ஏங்கும் என்னாளும்
ஏக்கம் உள்ளாடும்

thiraippAdal link:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0124'&lang=en

youtube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPxNqvnEDXQ

Last edited by app_engine on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Another evergreen KJY number whole pAdal varikaL have been written by GA...this one has the lovely SJ singing with him. The movie was a PA production and he wrote all other songs except this number. IMO, in that album, this one had the best melody / music by rAsA. Especially, the percussion part is out of the world!

Though the movie -that had Surya's daddy and Karthika's mummy in the main roles -flopped miserably, the songs were held high by IRFs and others alike. Recent rAsA concert with Jaya TV had KJY singing this number (with KSC?). I don't remember what all got talked about this song (by Prakash Raj and others). Those who've saved it in their minds (or can watch the youtube again) please confirm if there was any mention of GA Embarassed

oru rAgam pAdalOdu kAdhil kEttadhO (Anandha rAgam, KJY-SJ)

பல்லவி

ஒரு ராகம் பாடலோடு காதில் கேட்டதோ
மனதோடு ஊஞ்சல் ஆடுதோ
தினம்- உறங்காமல் வாடுதே
சுகம் உறவாட தேடுதே
ஓ நெஞ்சமே ஓராயிரம் சுகம் இது.

சரணம் 1

மாலை நேரக் காற்றில் மகிழ்ந்தாடும் தென்னங்கீற்றே
மாலை சூடி நாளும் என ஆளும் தெய்வம் நீயே

காதல் தேவி எங்கே? தேடும் நெஞ்சம் அங்கே
தேரில் போகும் தேவதை நேரில் வந்த நேரமே
என் உள்ளம் இன்று வானில் போகுதே

சரணம் 2

ஏதோ நூறு ஜென்மம் ஒன்று சேர்ந்து வந்த சொந்தம்
வாழும் காலம் யாவும் துணையாக வேண்டும் என்றும்

காலம் தந்த பந்தம், காதல் என்னும் கீதம்
ஜீவனாக கேட்குதே சேர்ந்து இன்பம் கூட்டுதே
வராத காலம் வந்து சேர்ந்ததே

thiraippAdal (you got to listen at least once right now, to appeciate the percussion and the lovey voices of KJY & SJ):

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0056'&lang=en

youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMEMlyPcmxQ

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:08 am; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:32 pm

Just now watched the youtube of the KJY number 'kanavil midhakkum' from EVK. It happens to be the title song (Though I've watched this movie at the time of release, don't remember anything now...)

While the vinyl confirms that the 'kanavil midhakkum' song was written by GA, his name appears twice on titles:

Yes, once telling that he did a 'gaurava vEdam' - means GA showed up on screen in this movie where the protagonist is a singer. (It's possible Pratap goes to the MD GA asking for chance or something like that).

His name is also shown in the list of pAdal AsiriyarkaL. It's shown on TOP i.e. above VM who actually wrote 3 songs in that album compared to the only one by GA. That clearly identifies the respect GA got those days (1982) for both being senior in the field & being the brother of IR Smile

The lines are quite interesting! They fit the melody (which is somewhat not a "regular" kind) quite well while also maintaining some "thaththuva" feel Laughing Suffice to say it proves the versatility with which GA could pen lines those days (from a marijuana-doped "kanavi midhakkum" to nAdan "kappakkizhangu" to soft romantic "oru rAgam pAdalOdu" to pathos "vaigaraiyil")...

பல்லவி

கனவில் மிதக்கும் இதயம் முழுதும்
புது ராகம் உருவாகும்
தினம்தோறும் எண்ணத்தின் இன்பத்திலே
எங்கெங்கும் வண்ணங்களே

சரணம் 1

ஏ..இளம் மனதே இசை பாடும் சுகங்கள்
ஓ..தொடர்ந்தாடும் பல கனவே புது நினைவே
உன் எண்ணங்கள் எங்கெங்கும்
ஊர்கோலம் போகின்ற காலம் இனிக்கும்

சரணம் 2

உன் சிறு இதயம் அது உந்தன் உலகம்
உன் மனம் போல விளையாடு உறவாடு
நீ என்றென்றும் எங்கெங்கும்
காண்கின்ற எல்லாமும் இன்பம்

thiraippAdal link here:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0690'&lang=en

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:02 pm

I was pleasantly surprised to see this link when googling to get one version or other of the pAdal varikaL of 'metti oli kAtROdu en nenjaith thAlAtta':

http://orukavithai.com/thiraikavithai/752-mettioli

This website is focussing on kavidhai and it's nice to see movie songs getting their due there. While I may not like some of the songs they've chosen to highlight (personal taste problems), at the minimum, that they recognize film songs as some form of ilakkiyam is noteworthy.

Also, they've placed this song written by GA -which is some kind of recognition for him from "literary" circles! Feels good Smile While such places on the web may not host many of his songs (mainly due to awareness issues), we need to welcome whatever gets done today. Also, when possible, we can post comments there / send them more info etc. to add more of GA songs.

Now, when I source the pAdal varikaL from web, I don't simply copy-paste into our thread but try to give the song a fresh listen, make necessary corrections and then fit into "my format" (which does not repeat pallavi or other duplicates, does not include swara / humming etc) Smile

The first line of this song created some comments at the time of arrival - have any of you heard "metti oli" unless it had kolusu style maNi / salangai attached? I clearly remember Mahendran defending the line in some mag - stating that it has a menmaiyAna oli and also adding that there's this "figurative" oli.

Funnily enough, all that got forgotten when the movie bombed (of course, the song was a hit). Sun TV, after many years, caught that 'metti oli' phrase and used it for a serial that ran for years I think Laughing That way, many of GA coinages for pallavi lines had "after effects" (Remember the Vijayakanth movie 'sendhoorappoovE'?). Such "after effects" are indeed credits to any kavingar!

பல்லவி

மெட்டி ஒலி காற்றோடு என் நெஞ்சைத் தாலாட்ட
மேனி ஒரு பூவாக மெல்லிசையின் பாவாக
கோதை மலர்ப் பூம்பாதம் வாவென்னுதே

சரணம் 1

வாழ்நாளெல்லாம் உன்னோடு தான் வாழ்ந்தாலே போதும்
வாழ்வென்பதின் பாவங்களை நாம் காண வேண்டும்
நாளும் பல நன்மை காணும் எழில் பெண்மை
பூவை வைத்த பூவாசம் போதை கொண்ட உன் நேசம்
தென்றல் சுகம் தான் வீசும் தேடாமல் சேராதோ

சரணம் 2

பெண் முல்லையே என் கண்மணி ஊர்கோல நேரம்
உன் காலடி படும்போதிலே பூந்தென்றல் பாடும்
பார்வை பட்ட காயம் பாவை தொட்டுக் காயும்
எண்ணம் தந்த முன்னோட்டம் என்று அந்த வெள்ளோட்டம்
கண்ட பின்பு கொண்டாட்டம் கண்டாடும் என் நெஞ்சம்

(I see kalingaththupparaNi kadai thiRappu again here, in the second saraNam where it talks about "பார்வை பட்ட காயம் பாவை தொட்டுக் காயும்"...of course, the SeyankoNdAr version is adults only variety Laughing)

The lovely IR song with SJ humming on thiraippAdal:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2048'&lang=en

youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUAnBCPD47M

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:49 pm

One more GA number from metti - this one with a lot of complications in the mettu.

'sandhakkavikaL pAdidum manadhinil inbakkanavukaLE' - this tongue-twister was sung by Brahmanandhan! (He sings like a typical Malayali!) Yet another song that proves how competent lyricist this GA is, especially when in company with the master composer rAsA!

I've already started feeling that some words find frequent use in GA's songs (I mean not his themmAngu numbers or mAnE thEnE...these words are frequent among his more sophisticated ones that are somewhat "literary").

A couple of such repeattu words are kanavu (or kanavukaL), rAgam, thALam Smile GA seems to use them quite a bit (apart from the already maligned 'poo/poovu/puippam'). If one walks thru the pAdal varikaL that I've posted so far (already 17 songs and now writing on the 18th), there are quite a few kanavu / rAgam / thALam besides poo. Well, it seems every kavi has his own set of mAnE / thEnE / dhAham / dhEham/ vErvai Laughing

Well, we can call GA as munnOdi to Dr A Kalam! (I mean in 'kanavu kANal' Laughing )

பல்லவி

சந்தக் கவிகள் பாடிடும் மனதினில்
இன்பக்கனவுகளே
சொந்தம் தர வரும் ஆனந்தம்
சிந்தும் கவிமழை ஆரம்பம்
தோன்றாத பேரின்பம்
தொடர்ந்துவரும் என்னுடனே
தினம் பல

சரணம் 1

சின்னஞ் சிறுவயது
பாடும் அவள் மனது
சீர்காண வேண்டும்
திருநாளும் வர வேண்டும்
மலர்மாலை சூடும்
உறவோடு கூடும்
என் உள்ளம் கண்டாடும் உறவுகளில்
இனிய சுகம் தினம் பல

சரணம் 2

தட்டும் ஒலி இசையில்
மெட்டிக் கவிதை தரும்
என் அன்பு நெஞ்சில்
புதுராகம் அது பாடும்
மடை போல ஓடும்
மனதோடு கூடும்
என் உள்ளம் கண்டாடும் உறவுகளில்
இனிய சுகம் தினம் பல

thiraippAdal link for this violin / drums(synth?) sweetie:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2050'&lang=en

youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d60RMwLCc0c

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next