Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sri Rama Rajyam - Maestro's masterpiece

+6
Usha
kv
Raaga_Suresh
groucho070
Admin
V_S
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sri Rama Rajyam - Maestro's masterpiece - Page 2 Empty Re: Sri Rama Rajyam - Maestro's masterpiece

Post  V_S Fri May 17, 2013 5:57 am

19th episode: Invitation from Ayodhya

We have almost come to the most important phase of Uttara Ramayanam. Ashwamedha Yaagam. Before even going there you might recall my earlier post about this when Sage Vashishta recommends Ashwamedha yaagam for the prosperity of Rama and his kingdom and cleared Rama's doubt and the ways to perform a yaagam without Sita beside him. In the same context, dignitaries and soldiers from Ayodhya come to Vaalmiki's ashram to invite him to the yaagam. Vaalmiki was shocked and surprised to hear Rama performing yaagam at this juncture without Sita beside him. As per the rules and tradition yaagam cannot be performed by a husband without his wife. The dignitaries reiterate that the yaagam was blessed to be performed by the great Sage Vashishta and Rishyashringa. After hearing this, Vaalmiki convinces himself that they would have well thought about it before recommending such yaagam. So he wishes the yaagam to be successful and adds that he will be present at the appropriate day and time.

Trumpets and marching drums go from front to back as the Ayodhya soldiers and dignitaries arrive at the ashram as Sita watches them. When Vaalamiki questions "yaagamaa?", we can hear the same question musically raised by Maestro through tender strings. As the conversation progresses, the strings and harp progress mildly at the background without disturbing the scene. As the dignitaries leave, we can hear and smell the beautiful waterfall sound along with fading strings. Sita who was hearing their conversation from behind could not believe this. Immediately it struck her that there is something wrong. She now has the same doubt what Vaalmiki had before. How Rama is performing a yaagam without her? Maestro gives a surge of cellos/double-bass @1:27 which extends till 1:33 to indicate her shock and disappointment. A subdued flute and sarangi follows as having some grief and solace arguments with each other as Sita is having an helpless argument with her mind and Rama (indirectly). As my eyes run out of water watching the visuals, the music slowly takes my breath away.

http://maestroworld.wordpress.com/2013/05/17/sri-rama-rajyam-invitation-from-ayodhya/

Back to top Go down

Sri Rama Rajyam - Maestro's masterpiece - Page 2 Empty Re: Sri Rama Rajyam - Maestro's masterpiece

Post  V_S Mon May 20, 2013 7:05 am

Episode 20. Valmiki clears Sita's doubt (Part 1). This has the famous 'statue theme'. There are so many nicer subtleties in this score which I have tried to capture. Please read at your own leisure, as this is has become quite big. The second part to it will be published tomorrow.

http://maestroworld.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/sri-rama-rajyam-valmiki-clears-sitas-doubt-part-1/

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu May 23, 2013 12:16 am

Episode 20 (Part 2): Valmiki Clears Sita's doubt. Drench in Maestro's musical storm followed by the silence.

http://maestroworld.wordpress.com/2013/05/22/sri-rama-rajyam-valmiki-clears-sitas-doubt-part-2/

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:58 am

Episode 21 - Aswa-medha Yaagam. Please hear how Maestro has taken a huge challenge and delivered.
http://maestroworld.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/sri-rama-rajyam-aswa-medha-yaagam/

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:53 am

Episode 22 - War with Lakshmana. Do you want to hear Maestro's symphony?
http://maestroworld.wordpress.com/2013/06/25/sri-rama-rajyam-war-with-lakshmana/

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:29 am

Episode 23 - Sita Handover Lava-Kusa to Rama. This is dedicated to #365RajaQuiz to mark its completion. Please read at your own leisure. Smile

http://maestroworld.wordpress.com/2013/07/28/sri-rama-rajyam-sita-handsover-lava-kusa-to-rama/
Longest episode in SRR. This also proves why Maestro is Nostradamus in music.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:31 am

Episode 24 - Sita Returns to her Mother ...Forever

It will take time for us to get over this episode as Sita joins her mother forever, thereby ending her reincarnation. As the visuals continue to haunt us, the music will haunt us forever. I am so puzzled by the amount of precision with which Maestro has scored for this episode. The transformation of music from one phase to another accurately synchronized with the visuals is no mean an ordinary achievement. On top of it sustaining the mood throughout which is the most difficult task made easy with Maestro. The way he incorporates so many technical details like counterpoint, harmony etc. blending with the story, visuals and the dialogues thereby presenting endless motifs for us to identify makes him the only composer mastering the art so well.

http://maestroworld.wordpress.com/2013/08/12/sri-rama-rajyam-sita-returns-to-her-mother-forever/

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:46 pm

An alternative take of 'gaali ningi nela'. Seems to be Raja's voice. Superb rendition. Thanks to my friend Sridhar @maya_twit for this.

[url=https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vhscjnauzoflsf/gaali_sri rama rajiyam_IR.wma]https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vhscjnauzoflsf/gaali_sri%20rama%20rajiyam_IR.wma[/url]

Last edited by Raaga_Suresh on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:56 am; edited 4 times in total

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:58 pm

Wow! Super Suresh ji. What a surprise gift! Maestro is almost crying when singing. Can't take my ears off. Thank you so much! noteworthy

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:49 am

Me getting 404 error at the dropbox link. Can one of you pl upload this elsewhere & share the link? Nandri.
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:53 am

KV,

I am having problems trying to post the link. I am doing some mistake. Just cut and paste the link. It should work.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:43 pm

suresh,
 enakum work agalai. copy paste panninalum...  dropbox 404 error message dhan varadhu..........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:47 pm

Usha ji,
Please try this one, if not already tried. I am able to see the download button.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vhscjnauzoflsf/gaali_sri%20rama%20rajiyam_IR.wma

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:08 pm

VS,
  indha Link work anadhu......... Thanks a lot VS.............

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  isaifan Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:44 pm

Raaga_Suresh/V_S,
thankyou 

I was Shocked  on hearing IR's voice and rendition in this version of Gaali Ningi Neeru. I did not expect him to sound so good and emote so well in Telugu. There are probably no post-90s professional singers (in Tamil/Telugu) who can render anywhere close to this. I mean, hear that tone and cry throughout the song, incredible, more so, at this age!

In the old Lava-Kusa (Tel) movie, (non-sadistic!) Ghantasala 'maastaaru' composed and sang Ye Nimishaniki Yemi Jaruguno for this situation. They show Rama and Lakshmana crying at the helpless situation and Ghantasala expresses the melancholy flawlessly. He sings as if like crying in some places. This song is a classic in Telugu.

In Sri Rama Rajyam, (non-sadistic!) IR 'master' composes and renders it, taking upon himself the challenge of the standard set by another 'maastaaru'. The difference in SRR is that the melancholy is supposed to reflect the deep-heart wailings of the laymen/people of Ayodhya of the helpless situation (and not exactly that of Rama or Lakshmana; recollect the simple folks in that dhobi scene where the problem starts). And so, IR changes his voice to reflect that rawness of the layman, and does the wailing throughout  noteworthy 

This rendition is no joke. Just listen to the way he renders "kaapaadalera evarainakaani" in the 2nd charanam. He even lets his voice break to get the emotion right (reminds me of Kudhikira kudhikira kudharakutti from Azhagarsaamiyin Kudhirai, but for a joyful/playful mood thumbsup  ). He has surpassed all the challenges taken..only to create new ones himself.

I feel the Tel producer may have felt he would lose the audience for such a song, as the general Tel movie-goer (and even other regions) have lost tolerance for sad/crying scenes. And so, we get the SPB version where the melancholy is underplayed! They anyway kept the song short in the movie, so could have as well retained IR's version. (Like the popular KS Rama Rao's rendition of Hanuman Chalisa in Tel) I am sure this would have got noticed for being so different and the raw emotions/rendition.

isaifan

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:42 pm

Isaifan,

Thanks for ur nice post.........  Beautifully told about IR's Renditiion.........

vaarthai.. adhilum ezhuthu.. adharku oru value koduthu paduvar IR............... chords madhirii....

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:51 pm

Yes I concur with Usha ji. Very nice post isaifan. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  isaifan Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Ushaji and V_Sji, thank you.

isaifan

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:52 am

Episode 25 - End of Rama's incarnation. 
An emotional and vibrant moment to be experienced.
http://maestroworld.wordpress.com/2013/10/03/sri-rama-rajyam-end-of-ramas-incarnation/

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:31 pm

Thank u VS........  romba azhaga  explain seidhu irukeenga......Ungalin vaarthaigal.. IR in isaiyai gavanika vaikiradhu............ Once again Thank u VS............

Maestro complements the sanskrit verses with underlying theme with strings, keyboards, wind instruments which rewinds almost the entire film in seconds. The way he bridges the first set of verses (during pattabishEkam – mantra pushpam) and second set of verses (to mark the end of a journey – narayana upanishad) is nothing but extra-ordinary. For that he starts playing the theme right from the first second of the clip and when we hear a pause of chants, we hear the music so well that it connects beautifully to the second set and lands beautifully. 

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks a lot ushaji for your kind compliments. Smile Sri Rama Rajyam is so close to me. I will be ending this big and my first initiative in the next and final episode with End Credits and Conclusion.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:29 am

Last and final episode of Sri Rama Rajyam - End Credits and Conclusion. Lord Vishnu's anantha sayana dharisanam. This ends a very special journey of writing about Sri Rama Rajyam background score which started last September. Great moments to remember for the rest of my life.

http://maestroworld.wordpress.com/2013/11/04/sri-rama-rajyam-end-credits-and-conclusion/

Last edited by V_S on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:03 pm

V_S,

Lovely. Great effort from you. Hats off to your hard work.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks a lot Sureshji. I means a lot to me. I have some plans on my next project, will reveal soon Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:43 pm

Meticulous - that is the word to describe this passionate work by V_Sji!

Great job!

வாழ்த்துகள் V_Sji!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next