Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rudramma Devi

+17
panniapurathar
rajaclan
ravinat
Raaga_Suresh
sagi
plum
rajkumarc
kiru
mythila
kamalaakarsh
crimson king
MH
V_S
jaiganesh
irir123
Drunkenmunk
kameshratnam
21 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Rudramma Devi - Page 2 Empty Re: Rudramma Devi

Post  kiru Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:29 am

Very good .. great.. auna neevana  is buttery smooth .. like a fine french macaron .. in cardamom flavor (if you can find one) .. Still I am not sure it beats Pazhassi, NEPV/Megha .. but very  melodic and harmonically rich. (BTW, I thought it was all synths initially .. no .. real acoustic instruments .. but probably recorded a bit dry/close miced)

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:57 am

Loved all the 6 songs. This album is a winner for me. Still waiting for the album to be available on Google Play. It's available on iTunes now.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:42 pm

Good. But hit ellAm edhirpArkAdhEL. The lyrics are a bit of let down - neither outright classic Sirivennela nor catchy in the modern sense(which ofcourse would have been out of place here).
Overal, I can see the all important youth giving this a skip and the old timers going "but then raja of 80s.."  

Plus Gunasekar oru pied piper. Screenplay, depth ellAm sollavE vENAm - irukkAdhu although it's a story with such potential. He is supposed to be the visuals guy - which you guys have seen in trailer and kaari thuppufied. sangarji illAdha oorukku iluppaippoovA try paNNAn. but then rajamouli came and spoiled his pozhappu.

Now, Baahubali by Rajamouli - that might have been a good opp for both the director and us IR fans.. indha maragadhamaniyaar oru varusham munNAdi retire Agi irukka koodAdhA?

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:18 am

mythila wrote:Heard 4 songs out of 6 in Rudramadevi, the most awaited Telugu album for me after "Sri Rama Rajyam".
Found 3 of these to my liking. My list in that order :
1. Antahpuram lo - Heaved a sigh of relief when 2 other youthful female voices made up for Sadhana. Loved the song's laid-back drawl and the coy vocal parts. A very "girly" song which may not find men's favour. So what? I am lapping it like I did for "malar vililE" - 'Ponnar Sankar'.
2. Punnami puvvai - Goes to show how mastery in the art of vocals can pole vault the song and its listener well above seventh heaven. Shreya, all the way.
3. Auna neevena - Wonderful, breezy melody with apt orchestral backing. But heavily let down by Sadhana's ageing vocals. How I wish Raja paid Shreya's price for this one too!!

Choosukovo theesukovo - outright rejected.

Well .. even IMHO, these three the winners.. I will add mathagajamE also .. it is not aadhi ushas .. note aadhi ushas was lyrics first. Not sure, how this was done. Basically, it was probably done this way (like a medley) based on demands of the script. I am fine with Sadhana's voice.. I think it is the soft/sweet kind .. not necessarily aging. But I think may be Kailash Kher was miscast.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:07 pm

Punnami Puvvai is one for the ages.  The pallavi still sounds very generic to me but the charanam is fantastic.  Nothing need be said about the orchestration and, yes, Shreya's singing makes the difference here.  Basically, it has the dramatic arcs that imo Auna Neevena is missing.  The reasons may be dictated by the situation; regardless I am looking at the songs standalone from the selfish point of view of my own appreciation.  Anthapuramlo is also very nice, but sounds like something he might have done in the 80s or early 90s.  You know I am not one to hark back for his 80s work, I want IR's work to sound fresh rather than meeting some imaginary aesthetic standards subscribed to by fans. At this stage, I will take one winner per album, it's enough to satisfy me.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:43 pm

Punnami Poovai is perhaps the best song in the album. I am a tad disappointed with the interludes.  Doesn't provide a knockout punch. The first interlude has some generic chorus and the second interlude that veena-chorus scale change aint exciting either. But I am sold with the melody / backing and singing.

Aunaa is that typical melody any t/d/h can compose but what sets Raaja apart is how he writes such lush/layered orchestration to back it up. And it is not often that you find Hariji competent in a Raaja song. He is just beautiful here. Sadhana is no match, especially the charan-pallavi bridge line makes me cringe.

She is a little better in Anthapuramulo, but Chinmayi with her fake voice makes up for it. Thankfully the inherent beauty of the melody soars above the singing. The co-ordination is actually crazy. I really like the interludes in this one. 

Matththagajame doesn't sustain the same energy throughout, situational perhaps, but hey who cares about Gunaa's vision here. But a superb listen nevertheless. The other SPB solo however has nothing going for it. And the Chitra song is fun but marred by the synth rhythms and a not-so-exciting tune.

Overall a great album but doesn't soar as high as some of his other symphony orchestra albums [NEPV, Megha, Pazhassi, Guru etc.]

And Kaaththirunthen from touring talkies is as good as the 3 melodies. That would have sounded fantastic with a symphony orchestra.

Like Plumji said looks like the album is a washout. Non-existent in iTunes charts. Shamitabh was there in the top 100 for weeks.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:48 am

Nerd wrote:
Aunaa is that typical melody any t/d/h can compose but what sets Raaja apart is how he writes such lush/layered orchestration to back it up. 

I dont know about the t/d/h part :-) orchestration is the primary product differentiation/USP of IR now .. this song wins as a total package with orchestration leading the points

Nerd wrote:
Overall a great album but doesn't soar as high as some of his other symphony orchestra albums [NEPV, Megha, Pazhassi, Guru etc.]
Fully agree

Nerd wrote:
And Kaaththirunthen from touring talkies is as good as the 3 melodies. That would have sounded fantastic with a symphony orchestra.
It is difficult for me to dissect melody/rhythm/orchestration to say which one is best (and if the orchestration is lush I ignore everything else :-) just my weakness) . i love the chorus in this song.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:25 am

Of course, punnami puvvai is my top pick Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:17 am

Yeah, Bombay Times ranked Piddly among the top 10 songs of Jan-March quarter.  Not bad at all, considering his almost negligible output in Hindi.  This album doesn't strike me as something that would succeed commercially in a big way, whatever its merits.  It's too heavy going for that.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:34 pm

My review of 'Rudramadevi' : https://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/rudramadevi-the-delicate-princess/

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  MH Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:06 pm

Raaga_Suresh wrote:My review of 'Rudramadevi' : https://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/rudramadevi-the-delicate-princess/
You have written a good summary for this album ..and imo It's a blessing to get such good orchestrated songs,in the era of the techno  sounds based songs.. Since you have mentioned a few songs which comes to ur mind while listening to these songs, I too get reminded of the song, Kooda varuviya song while I listened auna neevena song..

MH

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:22 am

You Shreya fans .. I will let you idolize punnami :-) .. I guess I am not with the majority here (even youtube has more views for punnami) but I am sold on auna just with the prelude ...and the interludes are awesome.. We need to divide IR's output as pre/post NEPV I guess. Absolutely, WCMish way of writing harmony/parts for orchestra. All those "new genre used in this song"  "modern music lovers" - take this from IR - an authentic new genre created/developed by IR - indian melody with full orchestra. A leader .. not a follower.
(@Suresh - good point about the melody/feminine nature. Also, anthapuramlo can be impressive, if they picturize/edit and sync the dancing of three women well with the vocals)

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:16 am

Excellent write-up Suresh ji on Rudhramadevi songs. You spoke my mind completely and you won't believe, I drafted same/similar thoughts about the 'feminine' aspect of the songs. Music is so overwhelming to me that I want to see the movie with the complete score and compositions. As I told earlier, I could not skip any song, all are big win for me cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:15 pm

punnami poovai - is a return ticket to swarggam!

Had the great opportunity of hearing this number (i.e. ever since its arrival, for the first time) to blast in high volume inside the parked van!

ammA - ammammA - goosebumps, kaNNil thaNNeer, shivering - what not! 

It's quite an experience!!

Like I tweeted sometime back, the song is a terrific combo of vintage IR + NEPV-style-modern IR.

The song towers above all the songs of NEPV , with the exception of 'mudhal muRai pArththa gnAbagam', where it finds a match Smile

I'm thrilled with the sweet tablA usage right from pallavi. In addition, the strings thru-out are something to die for! (As a sample, please focus on the moment when strings creep in to join the chorus humming in the first interlude in a majestic manner - appappA!)

What sets this song apart from many other IR songs with great string sections is the jazzy guitar bits that he included. Like in the end of the second interlude. Or as background in the pallavi / portion of the saraNams - terrific!

rAsA has this habit of "extra decorating" the pallavi when it gets played for the last time in a song. 

There are numerous examples but two of them can be quickly recalled for their stunning nature : 
1. That 'thana nAna' humming by SJ in Ayiram thAmarai mottukkaLE of alaigaL Oyvadhillai
2. The extra vocal harmony stuff to 'ninu vethiki vethiki choosi' towards the end

I guess he chooses to do such decoration when he extra-loves a song Smile  punnami gets the benefit of that habit too...listen to the extra wind instrument (oboe?) that joins & later chorus humming when pallavi is sung in the end (this accompaniment is not granted for the prior pallavi portions)!

Of course, ShreyaG increases one's pleasure in listening to this song and thus multiples the appreciation part. 

However, even otherwise, the song is a superlative one IMHO!

For a not-so-great-audio-quality-youtube : 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2c63mSXldw

Last edited by app_engine on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:34 pm

Super writeup app.

I am still undecided about the three melodies. Can't pin one as the best. All three songs have outstanding orchestration. 'auna neevena' has some amazing passages.  Overall this is an amazing album wherein Raja gives a masterclass on orchestration. So many layers. As ViolinVicky wrote, how many can write such multi part score?

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:53 pm

App ji, Beautiful write-up on a beautiful song. Tastefully written. I can literally visualize your excitement. This has been a non-stop album whenever I find consecutive devoted time as this album deserves such. No one can dare to do such a melody and orchestration PERIOD

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:20 pm

nanRi Sureshji and V_Sji for the kind words Smile

As is always the case with (most) IR songs, I instantly liked this song at first listen and then started appreciating the "details" Smile

All the songs in this album are lovable right at the first listen (which is my necessary criteria, as long as I'm doing a voluntary listen, in a normal mood) Smile

(Most of my IR favorites fall in the above category. There are of course exceptions where I failed to like the first time but later identified the beauty in some songs. These were mostly because the first listen was in an inappropriate setting - like casually listened to them without paying much attention or while travelling with a lot of disturbance or otherwise when in a bad mood).

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:56 pm

app_engine wrote:punnami poovai - is a return ticket to swarggam!

Had the great opportunity of hearing this number (i.e. ever since its arrival, for the first time) to blast in high volume inside the parked van!

ammA - ammammA - goosebumps, kaNNil thaNNeer, shivering - what not! 

It's quite an experience!!

Like I tweeted sometime back, the song is a terrific combo of vintage IR + NEPV-style-modern IR.

The song towers above all the songs of NEPV , with the exception of 'mudhal muRai pArththa gnAbagam', where it finds a match Smile

I'm thrilled with the sweet tablA usage right from pallavi. In addition, the strings thru-out are something to die for! (As a sample, please focus on the moment when strings creep in to join the chorus humming in the first interlude in a majest manner - appappA!)

What sets this song apart from many other IR songs with great string sections is the jazzy guitar bits that he included. Like in the end of the second interlude. Or as background in the pallavi / portion of the saraNams - terrific!

rAsA has this habit of "extra decorating" the pallavi when it gets played for the last time in a song. 

There are numerous examples but two of them can be quickly recalled for their stunning nature : 
1. That 'thana nAna' humming by SJ in Ayiram thAmarai mottukkaLE of alaigaL Oyvadhillai
2. The extra vocal harmony stuff to 'ninu vethiki vethiki choosi' towards the end

I guess he chooses to do such decoration when he extra-loves a song Smile  punnami gets the benefit of that habit too...listen to the extra wind instrument (oboe?) that joins & later chorus humming when pallavi is sung in the end (this accompaniment is not granted for the prior pallavi portions)!

Of course, ShreyaG increases one's pleasure in listening to this song and thus multiples the appreciation part. 

However, even otherwise, the song is a superlative one IMHO!

For a not-so-great-audio-quality-youtube : 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2c63mSXldw
I am yet to hear to Rudramadevi songs.. you guys are increasing my acidity levels..
and good observation on the nagaasu velai for the final occurrence of pallavi in songs - sadhu dhaane muthaaippunnu solvaangaa.
Raaja keeps reiterating that our musical tradition has all the elements to keep wowing us without us having to violate any of its norms and practices..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:15 am

Lovely writeup App on Punnami Poovai  the clap. It was my most favorite song in the album until Auna Neevena's orchestration took me in completely and I don't see any way out. It's one of the most exquisitely orchestrated songs ever. 

Jai - I got tired of waiting for Google Play and got the version from iTunes which is currently the only best option other than the actual audio CD.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:20 am

rajkumarc wrote:Lovely writeup App on Punnami Poovai  the clap. It was my most favorite song in the album until Auna Neevena's orchestration took me in completely and I don't see any way out. It's one of the most exquisitely orchestrated songs ever. 

Jai - I got tired of waiting for Google Play and got the version from iTunes which is currently the only best option other than the actual audio CD.

I am with you 100% .. the harmony layers are very well woven into the main melody. It sounds more rich to my ears .. but the downside is the vocals will not be more 'standalone' like punnami poovai. If you strip the cello/piano layers the tune will not be impressive.. it works only as a 'whole' not the vocals 'part' alone.
I am into these sort of songs post-NEPV .. none of the other MDs can play in this space (including people in the US/Europe - was listening to Sarah Brightman on Spotify during the morning commute and cannot but yearn for her to collaborate with IR .. the orchestra is more integral to the main melody in IRs works than even in Sarah's albums)

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:34 am

Ha, that's a nice thought.  Would personally love for an Annie Haslam/Kate Bush collab with Ilayaraja.  Or to have Fripp or Hackett play guitar leads in his interludes.  Would be a great meeting of progressive minds.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:21 pm

True Kiru. I was mentioning to a friend one day about Raja's new songs where the orchestra is not just supporting the song but becomes a character itself. It questions the singer, answers the singer and so on. Was giving him the example of 'kalvane' from Megha, 'katrai konjam' from NEPV and 'galiya mathali' from Oggarane. In these songs the orchestra is just not to enhance the harmonic beauty of the song. It is integral to the song. In 'katrai konjam' the sax keeps talking to Karthik and without that sax the song is not complete. Same with 'galiya' where the strings keep the conversation going. I had done detailed analysis with him and as you point out, this is a very different Raja we are seeing, especially from the NEPV days. The orchestration has a very different flavor in many of his recent songs and all of them are enjoyable.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Nerd tweeted this link :
http://cinema.dinamalar.com/tamil-news/30234/cinema/Kollywood/2-crore-spend-for-Rudhramadevi-BGM.htm?device=tw

ருத்ரமாதேவி, பின்னணி இசைக்கு மட்டும் 2 கோடி!

Shocked

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:09 pm

I keep humming "punnami puvvai" this way -
punnami puvvai ... vekachesthunnaa..
vennila kompai... vekachesthunnaa...

thulli ezhundhadhu paattu
china kuyilisai kEttu
kanda varigaLai pOttu
solli koduthadhu kaatru

madhura......

Did anybody feel this IR tribute to his 80's hit here ?

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:17 pm

mythila wrote:
thulli ezhundhadhu paattu

Did anybody feel this IR tribute to his 80's hit here ?

Nice connection, this !
the clap

BTW, my mind plays 'nAn pudikkum mAppiLLai dhAn' once I start listening to 'maththa gajamE' song or when playing in mind. 

Even tweeted about it, asking experts to confirm if there is some relationship.

Drunkenmunk dismissed it stating that there's some meter similarity for a couple of words and that's it - no other uRavu...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum