Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Razzies 2013

+2
app_engine
sagi
6 posters

Go down

Razzies 2013 Empty Razzies 2013

Post  sagi Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:54 pm

Last year we created a separate section and the response was not great. This year the participation (at least in the non-IR sections) is so low that I don't even know if people will read this. So thought I will just create a thread in this section.

As always the intention is to not beat dead horses like an Irandaam Ulagam but to post about films / songs that were generally well received.

My nomination and award for the worst film of last year goes to Raja Rani. I have made several attempts but could not go beyond the first one hour. The Arya-Nayanthara portions in the first 30, I think the director intended those to intrigue the viewer but I was bloody annoyed. I mean nothing happens, one poorly executed scene after the other with rank bad acting to boot. And then appears Jai and I read a lot of reviews which said Jai portions are the best. Those scenes at the call center, did thamizh naad audience roll on the floor laughing? I can only laugh at those. Always wonder how such drivel gets passed off as 'comedy'. Jai probably plays the same character in every film and he is one of those 'harmless' actors. But I really wanted to punch him in his face. That's how F-in boring he was. Anyway borrowing Brangar's vocabulary - the film is a vile mess.

Worst song? Since we have already established that Ani/GVP are not even worth talking about let me invoke their big daddy - Rahman. There is this song 'I love my africa' or some such in Maryaan. Perhaps one of the most unlistenable tracks of Rahman. Ever. For those who have not heard it, it is worse than whatever you can imagine. I mean even if you make up your mind that this is going to be bad and start listening to it, it will exceed your expectations. I have not listened to this song in full yet and I don't think its possible. The other hit song from the album Sonapareeya is not far behind. This song is proof enough that Vijay Antony / DSP inspire him.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Razzies 2013 Empty Re: Razzies 2013

Post  app_engine Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:01 pm

Nerd wrote: I mean even if you make up your mind that this is going to be bad and start listening to it, it will exceed your expectations.

rotfl2

Never listened to that song - even involuntarily Embarassed

I saw in some website (vikatan?) that the album is considered best of the year.

ayyO pAvam TFM Sad

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:27 pm

This is of course limited by what I saw. So there can be worse films/songs/actors/actresses.

Worst film; Aarambam. Read somewhere that it was Tamil cinema's 8th highest grosser of all time. The entire film was one whole mess with Mumbai police wearing Khaki hats, speaking in Tamil down to the hero advising the villain in the climax on corruption and killing him. Tries to ride on Ajith's presence. Fails. Had a tough time in the theaters.

Worst actor/actress; actor has to be Savakarthikeyan for the few films he did which turned out to be superhits  Shocked . Sahikkala! Actress is the super annoying Hansika Motwani. The girl doesn't even mouth Tamil properly in Biryani. Pammal KS la varra mememe bubble gum dhaan.

Worst song; Chillendra, Raja Rani. Uvaack! It got all praised for being a good fusion song. Screams "I'm a wannabe song, throw me to the dustbin now" out of every pore.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:32 am

Without really watching much of TF these days, I can still confidently say Hansika is one of the worst actresses of all time.  And she's all over the map now, it seems!  Shocked   I don't know avakitta apidi yenna vizhiyum ivangalellam kandupidichurukanga, she was debuted by Himesji and even though the film was apparently a hit, she hasn't done a single Hindi film since then.  Pakkaruthukku pushnika madhiri, naddipunna "what is that".

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:45 am

Can't believe I watched 16 thamizh films last year, huge for my film viewing appetite. Disclaimer: My movie watching experience is very ordinary.

viswaroopam
kadal
ethir neechal
soodhu kavvum
nagaraja cholan MA, MLA
neram
theeya velai seyyanum kumaru
thillu mullu
sonna puriyaathu
varuthapadatha valibar sangam
aadhalaal kaadhal seiveer
thalaivaa
onaayum aattukuttiyum
raja rani
vanakkam chennai
singam II

I missed watching paradesi and thalaimuraigaL. Need to watch soon. The worst films would be nagaraja cholan (horribly made), vvs, ethir neechchal in that order. Aadhalaal Kaadhal Seiveer, OAK, Soodhu Kavvum, Viswaroopam tops the best films I watched last year. Neram, Kadal were good defeating my expectations. I watch all Mirchi Siva's films (blame my taste) for his soora mokkai's. Somehow whenever I hear that 'ithuthaan mahabaratha kathai' (DD mahabaratham serial) ringtone, I could not stop my laughter, courtesy 'sonna puriyaathu'. Raja Rani, Singam II, thalaivaa overrated films defining the current viewers taste and trend.

Songs: The best non-IR song goes to unai kaanaadhu naan indru naan illaiyE from viswaroopam, out of the park from the concept to execution. I get goosebumps whenever I listen to this song. Shankar Mahadevan's inswinger knocks off the timber. Except this, I don't have any idea if at-least one song is listenable from last year even in some successful films. Music has gone very bad  Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:09 am

"Oodha colour ribbon" has to be one of the warsht songs I have ever heard. Chillena is bad, pretty bad, I mean extremely bad,  hackneyed and pretentious, but sorry DM, I just picked something ridiculously worse. Oodha is a song I would choose if I wanted to subject someone to music torture. I mean, just put on a pair of headphones and hear it once. Go ahead, hear it. And then dare to disagree with me. That it has over 1000 likes and 1 million+ views further tilts the scale in its favour (Last I checked, Chillena had < 1million views)

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:53 am

Oodha is about what Sivakarthikeyan deserves.  These songs strike me more as incredibly boring.  In terms of bad, they are not much worse than the depths already plumbed via Manmadha Rasa or Deva's utter beauty Alli Alli Anarkali.  Even Sonapareeya is pretty  much standard ARR fast song a la Kadhal Viagara, it just feels so middling compared to the hype heaped on it.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:10 pm

fring151 wrote:"Oodha colour ribbon" has to be one of the warsht songs I have ever heard. Chillena is bad, pretty bad, I mean extremely bad,  hackneyed and pretentious, but sorry DM, I just picked something ridiculously worse. Oodha is a song I would choose if I wanted to subject someone to music torture. I mean, just put on a pair of headphones and hear it once. Go ahead, hear it. And then dare to disagree with me. That it has over 1000 likes and 1 million+ views further tilts the scale in its favour (Last I checked, Chillena had < 1million views)

Take it from me, I've been thinking on and off for the last few days if I've done Chillena a disservice by picking it over Oodha. Yes, Oodha is worse than Chillena, even if that's possible.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Just realizing that this film's music is by D. Imman or Dimman or Dim man as Plum likes to call him. What's the hype around him? Take away the self-confessed IR inspirations and influences, he's ok at best.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:23 pm

The singing and lyrics are what separate the boring from the bad and very warsht. Luckily, Oodha scores on both fronts. What about the lyrics, littered with pearls like "unakku yaaru mummy" "AC window AC", "Kingfisher beeru". In recent history only nAkka mUkka comes even close.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:24 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:Just realizing that this film's music is by D. Imman or Dimman or Dim man as Plum likes to call him. What's the hype around him? Take away the self-confessed IR inspirations and influences, he's ok at best.

Is there hype around him? I don't like a single song he has done.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:44 pm

fring151 wrote:
Drunkenmunk wrote:Just realizing that this film's music is by D. Imman or Dimman or Dim man as Plum likes to call him. What's the hype around him? Take away the self-confessed IR inspirations and influences, he's ok at best.

Is there hype around him? I don't like a single song he has done.

Oh filmfare award and all (onnyum periya award kedayAdhu but still an award noted widely by the mainstream) for Kumki's music. No recent album has been lapped in mainstream TN with the film like Kumki has been. Releases making of song videos with Shreya Ghoshal for every film and makes it a point to get her to sing in every film he does music for. Been making quite some sound for a year and a half.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:34 pm

Look at this behindwoods, makkaLE

rotfl2 

BTW, I am not laughting at this part Embarassed

16. Best original background score : Ilaiyaraja ( For Onaayum Aautukuttiyum )

The nominees were 1. Ilaiyaraja 2. Ilaiyaraja 3. Ilaiyaraja 4. Ilayaraja 5. Ilaiyaraja 

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down