Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raja's New Albums

+49
Kr
BC
app_engine
crimson king
raagakann
ank
ravinat
counterpoint
kamalaakarsh
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
Manoj Raj
AbhiMusiq
raghuCA
Sakalakala Vallavar
Usha
panniapurathar
irfan123
sheepChase
suresh2
rajaclan
Shank
vicks
baroque
MH
Balu
Drunkenmunk
irir123
crvenky
Punnaimaran
writeface
mythila
Sanjeevi
rajkumarc
isaifan
fring151
jaiganesh
layman10
kiru
MumbaiRamki
sagi
skr
SenthilVinu
Bala (Karthik)
kameshratnam
Wizzy
kv
plum
V_S
Raaga_Suresh
53 posters

Page 17 of 43 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 30 ... 43  Next

Go down

Raja's New Albums - Page 17 Empty Re: Raja's New Albums

Post  Wizzy Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:12 pm

some clips from audio release..to say Raaja was swamped/overwhelmed will be quite an understatement   Very Happy 

Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:17 pm

I think I got it now. Ee janumave is the main theme song which talks about food from whatever few words I could gather from the lyrics. When Kailash sings 'iss AhA' in the starting lines; means relishing the food. Should be interesting to see the visuals. I was wondering why there are no songs about food? Maestro is never wrong and never does such mistakes what others do.

Back to top Go down

Post  sheepChase Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:23 pm

V_Sji, videos are here

sheepChase

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:12 am

AravindMano wrote:V_Sji, videos are here

Videos are nice!

nanRi for the share Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:15 am

Thanks Aravind Smile Now it makes more sense. Ee JanumavE is so yummy on screen as expected Smile So appetizing.  tongue

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:08 am

After watching the videos (many thanks to AravindMano), this could be the soundtrack of the year. I am in deep love with every song and picturization (I am not sure if we have video of Sharath's song). The song and picturization go very well together. I even liked the yellow color of the name cover. The cinematography is rich with bright colors, shades and texture all made me enjoy the song even more and more. Very well done Prakash Raj sir. Can't wait to watch the movie. Every song is pure gold.

En Janmame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkFCDtAsDS8

Galiya Mathali
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3606jqjhVtE

Mandadi Belagaiete
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZgbqgowI9s

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:03 am

The album is great.. though not at the NEPV/Megha level. Major success in using synths. Very updated rhythm sounds. Many instrument phrases are pretty standard but they are mixed/harmonized with more layers. Recording/Mixing is great and the album is sonically "rich". The Kailash Kher song effortless goes from synth drums to indian drums and back. galiya is vintage Raja with those strings and WCM sounds. Lots of blues/rock elements which seems to be rAja's recipe for urbane sound. I like kv's characterization of the album.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:44 am

Wizzy wrote:some clips from audio release..to say Raaja was swamped/overwhelmed will be quite an understatement   Very Happy 

Raaja speaking was highly insightful. Takes one to a Singapore concert of his from 1986. A snippet from there was uploaded on YT by our Bala (Karthik):

Raaja speaks about Vaan Meedhile and Vaa Vennila here (aside from a few outstanding insights on Tham Thana Nam Thana and how he approaches a raga or mood). Here yesterday, after 28 years, he speaks of Vaan Meedhile, Vaa Vennila (which was incidentally written by Gangai Amaran, who would have grown up listening to Vaan Meedhile with Raaja and hence gets the meter with the 'Vaa' in the lyrics Smile ) and Oh Nenjame too and says he has not said this anywhere before (Oh Nenjame i.e.). idhu motta solra varaikkum enakku theriyala (yArukkAvadhu therinchu na sollunga, vandhu kAlla vuzhundhuttu pOgarEn Smile ). Also, ChaNdi RANi 1953. Raaja MSV meet possibly in the 80s in Prasad Studio. Mella Thirandhadhu Kadhavu 1986. Oh Nenjame and Enakkaga Kaathiru 1981. Therein lies the genius Smile idhula BGM'la after prelude hum and before actual song starts, Oh Nenjame's leitmotif plays. Whattey! Inspire Agi pAttu pOttuttu MSV'ya adhu mAriyE imitation kEttu vAngi orchestrate senjurukku motta Very Happy

Oh Nenjame:

Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:54 pm

Purely from the point of view of innovation also, Janumave has a lot going for it.  Very rustic, earthy singing (also the vigorous Indian flute interlude) combined with very funky grooves.  I am sure it's been done many times by Raja himself but not quite in this manner.  Kailash Kher is like a very rough version of Manna Dey, superb brigas throughout.   Manadi is like a better-sounding, more upbeat version of Chinna Vennila.  Very nice, pretty cool to listen to but coming from Raja, is more like background music, you know the kind of songs you can just play on the computer while working on an assignment.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:58 pm

The Hailash Kher song seems like Kanda Nadai (5 beat cycle) Sometimes I keep the beat badly. It could be a 3 beat cycle as well but it is not 4 x 4.

The 'Gaali' song to me is like 'kalvane' from 'Megha'. Lot of places I smiled. The way the strings interacted with the voice in this reminds me of 'katrai konjam' and 'kalvane'.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:50 pm

Listened only to the telugu version. Preferred sundhara telungu to a hardu kannada.

Kailash kher’s unconventional voice lends a totally different hue , never heard before in IR’s music . Amazing how the choice of singers can influence even Raja’s wall. Loved the captivating second interludes .  The duets are quite unimpressive  and somehow give me an overpowering déjà vu feel of those contrived songs during 2006-2010 times  with the weak synth pad rhythms. Raja can consider retiring Ramya. Even  Sharath’s serene song could have got some expansive, vivid   interludes  as there is a good amount of scope. IR could have even axed those duets to give more space to Sharath number.

Last edited by mythila on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:18 am

"E janumave" vaguely reminds me of "Isayil thodangudhama". (Similar 7/8 rhythmic phrases), but is not nearly as intricate. These are the kind of arrangements Raaja can do in his sleep - nothing particularly original. Guitar work also not Raaja level at all. Thegidi arrangements sounded fresher. *Runs away*

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  kameshratnam Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:15 am

Songs are good. Discussions are great. The audio cds are still not out

Suresh2 said he can sponsor 100 audio cds in tamil.

i am still looking out for people who can fund this and have the cds distributed to raaja fans

1,00,000 INR is the amount needed.
500 tamil cds at 100 rupees each
500 Telugu cds at 50 rupees each
500 Kannada cds at 50 rupees each

kameshratnam

http://soundcloud.com/kameshratnam

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:20 pm

crimson wrote:kingPurely from the point of view of innovation also, Janumave has a lot going for it.  Very rustic, earthy singing (also the vigorous Indian flute interlude) combined with very funky grooves.  I am sure it's been done many times by Raja himself but not quite in this manner.  Kailash Kher is like a very rough version of Manna Dey, superb brigas throughout.   Manadi is like a better-sounding, more upbeat version of Chinna Vennila.  Very nice, pretty cool to listen to but coming from Raja, is more like background music, you know the kind of songs you can just play on the computer while working on an assignment.
CK,

It is interesting you say that because I wrote this on twitter when I heard that song the first: https://twitter.com/kamalaakarsh/status/450173803776049153  Smile
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:57 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:Raaja speaks about Vaan Meedhile and Vaa Vennila here (aside from a few outstanding insights on Tham Thana Nam Thana and how he approaches a raga or mood). Here yesterday, after 28 years, he speaks of Vaan Meedhile, Vaa Vennila (which was incidentally written by Gangai Amaran, who would have grown up listening to Vaan Meedhile with Raaja and hence gets the meter with the 'Vaa' in the lyrics Raja's New Albums - Page 17 Icon_smile ) and Oh Nenjame too and says he has not said this anywhere before (Oh Nenjame i.e.). idhu motta solra varaikkum enakku theriyala (yArukkAvadhu therinchu na sollunga, vandhu kAlla vuzhundhuttu pOgarEn Raja's New Albums - Page 17 Icon_smile ). Also, ChaNdi RANi 1953. Raaja MSV meet possibly in the 80s in Prasad Studio. Mella Thirandhadhu Kadhavu 1986. Oh Nenjame and Enakkaga Kaathiru 1981. Therein lies the genius Raja's New Albums - Page 17 Icon_smile idhula BGM'la after prelude hum and before actual song starts, Oh Nenjame's leitmotif plays. Whattey! Inspire Agi pAttu pOttuttu MSV'ya adhu mAriyE imitation kEttu vAngi orchestrate senjurukku motta Raja's New Albums - Page 17 Icon_biggrin

Wow!

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:08 pm

kamalaakarsh wrote:
crimson wrote:kingPurely from the point of view of innovation also, Janumave has a lot going for it.  Very rustic, earthy singing (also the vigorous Indian flute interlude) combined with very funky grooves.  I am sure it's been done many times by Raja himself but not quite in this manner.  Kailash Kher is like a very rough version of Manna Dey, superb brigas throughout.   Manadi is like a better-sounding, more upbeat version of Chinna Vennila.  Very nice, pretty cool to listen to but coming from Raja, is more like background music, you know the kind of songs you can just play on the computer while working on an assignment.
CK,

It is interesting you say that because I wrote this on twitter when I heard that song the first: https://twitter.com/kamalaakarsh/status/450173803776049153  Smile

Yup, definitely there are shades of old Hindi songs, esp comedy type tracks like the ones Manna Dey sang for Mehmood.  Except for the funk grooves, that is.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:15 pm

DM wrote:
Raaja MSV meet possibly in the 80s in Prasad Studio.

Per what I've read here and there, IR possibly played for MSV in the 70's on occasions as a contract guitarist or combo-organist, like he played for many other MDs. (Also, IR was assistant to GKV for a lot of Kannada movies and GKV-MSV were nagam-sadhai kind of friends ; that way, there could have been otherwise opportunities for IR to get introduced to MSV before he hit annakkiLi. Those should be the reasons behind MSV reportedly supporting IR when some financiers of annakkiLi had bad remarks on IR's BGM. It seems they suggested MSV to help change the "horrible BGM" Laughing when MSV shot it down, advising them to retain whatever IR gave them. This is as per what I've read somewhere).

Though there was fierce competition between these two from 1976 to 1979 or so (at some point everyone understood rocket is different from airplanes), there had never been any bad blood between the two individuals themselves. Like we read from IR's own accounts, he wasn't accepting to compose for Sridhar out of respect for MSV as his AsthAna MD. Also, there had been cases when he outright said "NO" to producers, advising them to stay with MSV.

It is an undeniable fact that during his early years IR worked a lot with new-start directors, restart-directors and such cases and didn't try to "snatch away" strong combos of MSV. All one needs to do is simply read history Smile

Which was very different from the unethical people who worked hard in late 80's & 90's, with the sole aim to destablize IR's position!

(BTW, recent Gautam / Mysskin kinds are rare cases of directors who started with junior MDs who went to rAsA, and should not be confused as "snatching away"...these people had been big fans of him all along and begged him to work for them in specific project, and not otherwise).

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:00 pm

app_engine wrote:

Per what I've read here and there, IR possibly played for MSV in the 70's on occasions as a contract guitarist or combo-organist, like he played for many other MDs. (Also, IR was assistant to GKV for a lot of Kannada movies and GKV-MSV were nagam-sadhai kind of friends ; that way, there could have been otherwise opportunities for IR to get introduced to MSV before he hit annakkiLi. Those should be the reasons behind MSV reportedly supporting IR when some financiers of annakkiLi had bad remarks on IR's BGM. It seems they suggested MSV to help change the "horrible BGM" :lol:when MSV shot it down, advising them to retain whatever IR gave them. This is as per what I've read somewhere).

Though there was fierce competition between these two from 1976 to 1979 or so (at some point everyone understood rocket is different from airplanes), there had never been any bad blood between the two individuals themselves. Like we read from IR's own accounts, he wasn't accepting to compose for Sridhar out of respect for MSV as his AsthAna MD. Also, there had been cases when he outright said "NO" to producers, advising them to stay with MSV.

It is an undeniable fact that during his early years IR worked a lot with new-start directors, restart-directors and such cases and didn't try to "snatch away" strong combos of MSV. All one needs to do is simply read history Smile

Which was very different from the unethical people who worked hard in late 80's & 90's, with the sole aim to destablize IR's position!

(BTW, recent Gautam / Mysskin kinds are rare cases of directors who started with junior MDs who went to rAsA, and should not be confused as "snatching away"...these people had been big fans of him all along and begged him to work for them in specific project, and not otherwise).

Of course saar. No difference of opinion there. I wrote that based on what IR mentioned in that 1986 concert in Singapore that he and MSV met once during a forced break due to power shutdown in Prasad Studios Smile Raaja mentions in his Paal Nila Paadhai that he played for MSV in Avalukkendru Oru Manam. The song is Malar Edhu En Kangal, where Raaja played the combo organ. Raaja mentions at that point that he was assisting GKV and learning from Dhanraj Master and that DM had no regard whatsoever for GKV, MSV and the other top composers in India due to having researched all the great maestroes of WCM/ICM and Tamil folk marabisai, etc. Raaja mentions that that "kirukku" entered him also and he started to rate MSV and co lowly though he retained his fandom. He mentions the day he played combo organ for that song, MSV entered the studio and finished orchestrating the whole song's arrangement with every musician by singing the notes for them to jot down in 45 minutes and there, his regard went very high and vowed not to criticize MSV ever again in the future and also says "Dhanraj master has the right to criticize being qualified in every musical form. What right do I have?"  Laughing idhu dhAn enna porutha varaila humility.

I get your point on the directors who abandoned ship (many of them who owe their careers to IR, some important directors there) and the youngies coming today due to pure admiration and fandom Smile
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:48 pm

En janmame gives a retro feel and inadvertently I end up in “tere mere Milan ki ye raina” and “chinnan chiru kiLiyE parandhu vidaadhE”.

I overzealously wrote the interludes are innovative. It should be, the second interlude is captivating

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:50 am

It is innovative in the sense that it combines the folksy flute you might have heard in a sonnapadi kellu with his current urban flavour.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  irfan123 Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:37 am

crimson king wrote:It is innovative in the sense that it combines the folksy flute you might have heard in a sonnapadi kellu with his current urban flavour.

To me it looks like thiagaraja bagavadar who sings as if he doesnt know telugu rustic style and music composed in urban jazz style. never heard such kind from raja.

Most recently in megha he has done same way. like enna vendum kuthu paatu style mixed as jazz. looks like his experimentation goes on lots of variations Very Happy

irfan123

Back to top Go down

Post  irfan123 Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:12 am

kameshratnam wrote:Songs are good. Discussions are great. The audio cds are still not out

Suresh2 said he can sponsor 100 audio cds in tamil.

i am still looking out for people who can fund this and have the cds distributed to raaja fans

1,00,000 INR is the amount needed.
500 tamil cds at 100 rupees each
500 Telugu cds at 50 rupees each
500 Kannada cds at 50 rupees each
sad part here is people who own rights refusing to release cd. not sure who is junglee music and which world they are. when crore fans join new fan club why they think cds will not sell. when oru oorla cd was released i ordered from trichy talking to someone, because i like to hear in cd even LP  better. guess what. it was a single track with real estate advts. forced to listen and officially released ! i wont be surprised when people like junglee are after money can even rip wav or m4a from tunes they are planning to sell and press as cd and sell to us ! It is so bizzare to me when IR experiments such stuff how come original quality version is not available for purchase even., when nowadays with internet world people realize how quality differs between cd and mp3. and when people are looking to buy. i bet if all most recent IR albums comes in LP format there are so many willing to buy. simply frustrated. hope upcoming albums dont get caught in marketing and revenue mess rather original cds are available for alleast fans.

irfan123

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:10 am

I hear you.  I would gladly put up the money to buy the CD and I am sure there are many loyal fans who would do so.  Really sucks that it's not even being offered for sale.  And why only Itunes (if that), why not just offer the mp3s for download through bandcamp?  I would prefer to have complete portability for my mp3s (since I have paid for that) rather than being restricted to Apple devices.  I buy mp3s of bands working out of America and I cannot buy Ilayaraja's music, sad state of affairs.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  kameshratnam Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:19 am

If i had the money i would have walked to their office and got the cds released.

A friend of us in the forums has said he will help with the money for 100 cds.

I still need 90,000 indian rupees to release the cds

500 in tamil at 100 rupees each.. 500 each in telugu and kannada @ 50 rupees each

kameshratnam

http://soundcloud.com/kameshratnam

Back to top Go down

Post  irfan123 Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:30 pm

kameshratnam wrote:If i had the money i would have walked to their office and got the cds released.

A friend of us in the forums has said he will help with the money for 100 cds.

I still need 90,000 indian rupees to release the cds

500 in tamil at 100 rupees each.. 500 each in telugu and kannada @ 50 rupees each
even itunes are not available??. yday saw note in twitter that mobiletones are available! PrakashrajProduction@mePRProduction Apr 3
Ulavacharu Biryani Mobile codes @prakashraaj @PonyPrakashraj @actress_Sneha @Kailashkher pic.twitter.com/1rPgJe8urJ Replied back any plans to release audio cd. Trilingual film no dubbing elllam sarithan. but producer cant spare to release audio cds which for sure knows it will be purchased by all fans, is what puzzles me. may be they want to first sell tones then tunes and finally release cd. lets see. im always fishy after oru oorla cd release experience where it was single track with real estate ads ! im not sure if that cd was fans like us initiative to release cds. where first set came out with ads and later released as separate tracks without ads! so fans who were desperate and ordered cds got what they need for being faithful. with junglee im suspicious for that reason it should not be a m4a to cd version, rather has to be orginal cd version. unless producer/director himself confirms and releases i would wait.

irfan123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 43 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 30 ... 43  Next