Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raja's New Albums

+49
Kr
BC
app_engine
crimson king
raagakann
ank
ravinat
counterpoint
kamalaakarsh
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
Manoj Raj
AbhiMusiq
raghuCA
Sakalakala Vallavar
Usha
panniapurathar
irfan123
sheepChase
suresh2
rajaclan
Shank
vicks
baroque
MH
Balu
Drunkenmunk
irir123
crvenky
Punnaimaran
writeface
mythila
Sanjeevi
rajkumarc
isaifan
fring151
jaiganesh
layman10
kiru
MumbaiRamki
sagi
skr
SenthilVinu
Bala (Karthik)
kameshratnam
Wizzy
kv
plum
V_S
Raaga_Suresh
53 posters

Page 13 of 43 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 28 ... 43  Next

Go down

Raja's New Albums - Page 13 Empty Re: Raja's New Albums

Post  app_engine Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:17 am

oru oorla audio release

இறுதியில் பேசிய இளையராஜான் "ஒரு ஊர்ல படத்தை முழுவதும் பார்த்த பிறகுதான் இசையமைத்தேன். ஒவ்வொரு காட்சியும் சிறப்பாக இருந்ததால் என்னால் நிறைவாக இசையமைக்க முடிந்தது. எந்த படத்திற்கும் நான் மூன்று நாட்களுக்கு மேல் இசையமைத்தது இல்லை, அது 100 நாட்கள் ஓடக்கூடிய படமாக இருந்தாலும் சரி, வெள்ளி விழா படமானாலும் சரி மூன்று நாட்களுக்கு மேல் என் ஸ்டுடியோவில்  அந்த படம் இருந்ததில்லை.

அந்த காலத்தில் இருந்தே, பல புதுமுக இயக்குநர்களுக்கு என்னுடைய பெயர் பயன்பட்டிருக்கிறது. ஒரு சிலர் என்னிடம் வந்து "ஏன் அவர்களுக்கு எல்லாம்  இசை அமைக்கிறீர்கள்" என்று கேட்பார்கள். அதற்க்கு நான் இசையமைத்து நீ வந்தது மாதிரி அவன் வந்து விட்டு போகட்டுமே, உன்னக்கு உண்டான இடம் உனக்கு, அவனுக்கு உண்டான இடம் அவனுக்கு என்பேன். என்றுமே நான் புதியவர்களுக்கு இசையமைக்க மறுத்ததில்லை." என்று கூறியவர், இறுதியில் "புதியவர்களே வாருங்கள் நான் இருக்கிறேன்." என்று கூறி தனது பேச்சை முடித்தார்.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  vicks Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:47 am

Oru Oorla Audio release (Ilaiyaraaja speech):

vicks

Back to top Go down

Post  Balu Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:47 am

Ooru Oorla songs are very good

I liked all of them. We need to encourage these small producers by at least buying one cd. 

oruoorla.net

Balu

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:19 pm

Heard the songs a couple of time before I left for my vacation. Very much in the 'Nilachoru' ball park. You can see that this is a small budget film Smile Very minimal orchestration with emphasis on melodic tunes. The female solo was the best I felt. Will write in detail after I hear the songs a few more times.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:30 pm

Is the cd available in any shop? If not i can pay and get it from you guys.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:25 pm

pOr vAL duet recording:

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:29 pm

BTW, from angioplasty in later part of Dec to intensive work sessions in early Jan is phenomenal recovery for anyone - let alone someone in his 70s!

Shocked

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  baroque Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:17 am

I love you 
Take care, Raja!
Please don't engage in strenuous activities.
baroque
baroque

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:32 am

app_engine wrote:pOr vAL duet recording:

What a pleasure to see the man back in action !!! Awesome..Thank god.
I was listening to ramanamaalai in the morning over the weekend and my mother-in-law commented 'his music is a 'varam'..hope god gives him a long life '
I cannot but concur...he might have read lots of music theory .. the music is still very special and spontaneous.. like his own song.. kaaranaminRi kanneer varum

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Heartwarming to see the Maestro back in action. The instant connect of the brief bit of music played in that video, that happens only with this man's music.

Welcome back App from your vacation. Hope to see V_S back in action soon in the forum.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:55 pm

Thanks rajkumarc. I am back. Nice to see our Maestro back to work. May his health get better and better.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:48 am

Coming to think of it, more I listen to oru oorla songs the more I love it. This is the first soundtrack of 2013 where I didn't have to skip a song. Does this quality qualify for the soundtrack of the year? Wink Definitely this soundtrack is not to be left alone. Will write more about it soon.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:53 pm

My take on Oru Oorla soundtrack.

ippadiyum orutthan undu – The song directly went to the bottom of my heart and sat comfortably after my first listen itself. Striking and bold Velmurugan’s voice with casual laid-back language and singing, amicable folkish tune, bright percussion (loop) all add to the glory of the song. Last time I heard such a bold and striking voice was of Pushpavanam Kuppusamy.

The song makes fun of an alcoholic and also adds a message. First time I had hard time concentrating on the interludes main reason being it did not demand my attention as it flows with the tune itself. Synth flute (sounds like a mouth organ?) in first interlude and synth shehnai in the second interlude.  Second interlude has that touch of melancholy. Nice and effective lyrics. One portion which I keep rewinding is when Velmurugan finishes the charanam with ‘ivanukkappa’ on a high note in an innocent way. Seducing part that! This song straightaway goes into classic category in my music listening dictionary for its innocence, earthy and arresting nature. How many folk songs Maestro would have composed yet another fresh one?

thaayE vanthaayE – This song captured me instantly when I listened to the ‘making of’ clip. Whenever we want to visit Pazani or ThirunaLLaar but we don’t have time, God presents himself in Vadapazani or in Vada ThirunaLLaar for us to save time. Same way when I wanted to visit the whole of 90’s compositions of Maestro, he gives me a free pass through this 2010’s composition so that I can get a glimpse of 90’s. Vintage Raja.

Thavil percussion to start the proceeding. Fantastic and racy tune. With excellent lyrics and Raja’s singing, the emotional quotient is very high. Surprisingly the song sings praises about the daughter (by a father) who fondly calls her his mother (?). Signature flute and shehnai interludes which I have been longing as I have expressed above.  Once the charanam starts there is no stoppage. I love the way charanam is constructed without any gap. Complex tune. It has its own charm with instruments answering first two lines. You know when I break down, when Raja sings ‘neeyE neeyE chellakkutti’. Raja's voice is growing sweeter and sweeter as he ages. So much glued to this composition that words fail to express the satisfaction it gives.

thannanthani endriruntha – Lilting sad song. I mildly get reminded of kaathiruppEn kaaththiruppEn/en usiru (sengaathu bhoomiyilE). I am so astonished that with some subtle changes in notes, we get another new and fresh tune which is only possible from the magical fingers of Maestro when people fear to even try these intricacies and rather fall into western prey only to be caught red-handed.

Back to home, back to bass. Back to tabla. Nothing like that. Dashing charanam tune. So sweet. Interludes pour melancholy with synth violins and santoor. Rewind that. Haricharan sings with lot of heart giving us the much needed soul. These are kind of moist and sweet tunes which are desperately needed today when people are trying to split rocks to find water in it. Another one in my classic list.

thEdi ennai kaanavE – Sweet and short song, but the impact it creates is big. Another pathos song. Arresting cellos/violins (only for few seconds) will make us long for more. Good that even in this short song we have a short interlude and short charanam. Great example of how to effectively use the time and convey the message.

vanaththil vaNNa malargaL - I am so addicted to this song. Damn addictive. Piano delight.  Sounds like unnai patri sonnaal (maththiya chennai) may be because of Rita and piano/jazz touches. If I sing the last line of charanam it connects to unnai patri sonnaal ;)Signature syncopation. I loved the way pre-lude starting with just guitar and piano with no percussion. Beautiful counterpoint there.

This song is about nature, people and world. Pallavi starts with just piano without any percussion. Love the way piano follows the pallavi tune closely. Breezy! Percussion (synth) comes only during the repeat pallavi (I would have preferred it even without that). Lyrics is good, but not great.  Two short lines (vanaththil vaNNa malargaL, malaril veesum thendral) followed by extremely long third line (thendralil veesum vaasam athu deivaththin kaanikkai oh deivaththin kaanikkai). How the hell is this possible?

I love the starting sound of inter-lude (I think from vibraphone?). Wonderful to hear. synth and piano interlude (only one interlude though). We will not know when the charanam started as the piano does not end at all, Maestro stops it with a convincing splash of bells to start the charanam. Beautiful! The biggest highlight of the song is it has that beautiful post-lude same as the pre-lude making it a coda. Not many IR songs has coda (another one I remember is poove sempoove), in that way it is a unique song. Rita sings it very well.

Only question I have about this song is where will it fit the movie (theme) as the title and the theme of other songs seems to be different. Considering ‘ippadiyum oruththan undu’ and this one, quite a big contrast (thereby showing Maestro’s every growing versatility). May be heroine introduction/title song. Eagerly waiting to see the placement of the song.

All five songs in my kitty, 24 carat sokka thangam, seikkooli illai sEthaaram illai. Lot of variety in these five songs. Four folk songs of different nature and one jazzy song. All five solo songs (with no chorus) with five different singers. Not sure if this is the first time? Five solo songs almost tells how the story is woven. Every song has a touch of desolation, even the refreshing vanaththil vaNNa malargaL has it in it's prelude. That is the running chord which connects every song (and us) and Maestro gives that chord to the director, in case he gets it.

Tune is the big winner. Songs to be preserved and listened frequently as it gives the same amount of satisfaction what we get from those mighty soundtracks. I would even say the soul will be more in these kind of simple, minimalistic folk soundtracks as it revolves around the native people of our land and the hardships faced by them and the way they carry their life merrily despite all odds. I feel guilty now for not even listing this soundtrack as the contender when picking the soundtrack of the year. I take this soundtrack as the healing medicine given by (forecast-ed) Maestro to us to forget about his ailing health as he will be back very soon with lot of music.  He did, he did for us. What a soundtrack to end the year 2013!

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:55 pm

V_Sji, lovely review, as usual.
Vanathil vanna is an instant winner; gorgeous chord work. I've been listening to it a lot, my scratchy mp3 copy notwithstanding. Waiting to get the original CD.
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks kv. Yes, please listen to the original CD (oh that advertisements! Mad ), the quality differs.

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:46 pm

The general public is going to think thannanthani add thaayE as recycles. The other three are fresh but two of them are short :-(
I think IR is hoping to have the emotional content of the classic two songs to help the story line.
Inspite of synth, the mixing is very good (levels and no unnecessarily too much reverb/echoes)

(BTW, what sort of lyrics is this - thannanthani enRiruntha thaavi vantha nilavE - I dont get it.. the lonely nila .. suddenly thaavi vanthathu ?. I also dont like rhyming thaayE .. vandhaayE .. low imagination. I guess na.muthukumar has become costly these days )

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:50 am

Nice review V_S. Yet to hear each one of them closely. Will post my views on them later. As of now tripping on 'vanaththil vanna'. What a song it is.

kiru,

I guess this movie is a 'No Budget' movie as compared to low budget movies that Raja does. I think that is why the orchestration is minimal and usage of synth. Yet, it is a very nice album because of some strong tunes.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:23 pm

kiru wrote:The general public is going to think thannanthani add thaayE as recycles. The other three are fresh but two of them are short :-(
I think IR is hoping to have the emotional content of the classic two songs to help the story line.
Inspite of synth, the mixing is very good (levels and no unnecessarily too much reverb/echoes)

(BTW, what sort of lyrics is this - thannanthani enRiruntha thaavi vantha nilavE - I dont get it.. the lonely nila .. suddenly thaavi vanthathu ?. I also dont like rhyming thaayE .. vandhaayE .. low imagination. I guess na.muthukumar has become costly these days )
General public and oru oorla? YouGottaBeKidding  Very Happy 

Agree about the lyrics. I think it probably is தன்னந்தனி என்றிருந்தே(ன்).

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:16 am

http://www.amazon.com/Oorla-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B00FQUBT3Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390086830&sr=8-2&keywords=oru+oorla
this is oru oorla which was released in 2007. I think this movie title is in for some change.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:25 pm

Bala's Karagam:

FTW!
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:00 pm

12 songs in the album? We are in for a grand treat. Thanks DM for sharing.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:54 am

Bala's Musical? well thats a first..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:22 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:Bala's Karagam:

FTW!

this is very exciting.
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:31 am

12 songs is a virundhu. Nalla vettu vettuna vettanam.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:12 am

My worry is whether a 12 song (predominantly folk, by the looks of it) movie will work commercially. And a not-so-gentle reminder of the state of affairs where IR is a GVP replacement Razz . PAttu hit AnA be prepared for "IR makes comeback after NEPV (or even better, NAn kadavuL)" articles and reviews by the Milliboys of the world. Ergo, flop AnA friendly retirement advice edhirpArkalAm. If the movie also flops, there is a chance the songs might become cult classics like kaLvane or Nandri solla vEndum. ParavAle, athilayum oru kicku thAn - "We are hipsters who listen to songs which hardly have 1 or 2 listeners" nu perumayA sollikalAm. Best scenario is where there is massive pre-release hype as in the case of NEPV and songs do well though movie flops. Not sure how I want this to play out  Razz . PAttu, padam rendum hit Agardhu, dream come true for HCIRFs though it is, is unlikely IMO.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 43 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 28 ... 43  Next