Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

+15
[μsic]மாபியா
crimson king
BC
vss1902
al_gates
counterpoint
mythila
IsaiRasigan
jaiganesh
ravinat
Drunkenmunk
ank
Usha
app_engine
raagakann
19 posters

Page 13 of 31 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22 ... 31  Next

Go down

Any TN hits from "rAman adbullA"?

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 13 Vote_lcap0%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 13 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 13 Vote_lcap43%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 13 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 3 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 13 Vote_lcap0%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 13 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 13 Vote_lcap29%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 13 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 13 Vote_lcap14%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 13 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 13 Vote_lcap14%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 13 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 13 Empty Re: Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

Post  app_engine Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:45 pm

Adding that sweet song in our hit list...

#1110 poongAtRE idhu pOdhum en udal theeNdAthE (IR solo, also KSC-Mano duet, padichcha puLLa)
What a lovely song! Interestingly, the duet version has a similar styled rhythm as another "poongAtRu" song (of vetRi vizhA) that came out in the same year Smile

Poll added for the next album, pagalil pournami :

poonthendRalum vanthathu Two versions
karaiyOra kARRu kalyANa vAzhthu ilaiyaRaaja / S.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
tommy come come S.Janaki
manamE avan vAzhum kOyil [thalaivan thirupAtham pORRi] ilaiyaRaaja / Chorus
sadu kudu sadu kudu Mano / S.Janaki / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 13 Empty Re: Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

Post  app_engine Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:36 pm

As confirmed by TN-ers, one song from this low profile, hitherto-unfamiliar-to-me "pagalil pourNami" makes it to the chart. Kochi Hanifa was the director, interesting!

#1111 poonthenRalum vanthathu (KSC-SPB duet, there is also an IR version, pagalil pourNami)
Fast moving song with nothing-special kind of orchestration IMO. Appeared to have enough air time in TN because of the IR tag / recording centers etc.

The next album does not need a poll as all the songs were super hits and most of them are popular to this day Smile

#1112 maraththa vachchavan thaNNi ooththuvAn (IR solo, paNakkAran)
Sort of making fun of prior era's "thaththuva pAdalgaL" Laughing Since this was in IR's voice, people happily embraced it Smile

#1113 iraNdum onROdu onRu sErndhadhu (KSC-SPB duet, paNakkAran)

What a fantastic rhythm arrangement! Once can listen to this on repeat non-stop! Also, KSC's voice is so sweet in this song!

#1114 nooRu varusham (SJ solo, also there is a Mano solo, paNakkAran)

SJ giving playback singing lesson to Mano Wink

#1115 uLLukkuLLa chakkaravarthi (IR solo, paNakkAran)

Another funny song masqueraded as "thaththuva pAdal" Wink  Recently there was a youtube of an European singing this song on stage, such is its reach.

#1116 silence kAdhal seyyum nEram idhu (SJ-SPB duet, paNakkAran)

Hit songs like this should have been the nightmare of directors those days - as to how to picturize them, with IR pouring down a lot of non-standard rhythm patterns, making the choreographer and teams work hard!

We need a poll for next album "pick pocket" as I'm familiar with only one song (manjakkuruvi manjakkuruvi).

vElaiyai thEdi [vElai vElai] [Title Song] ilaiyaRaaja / Chorus
kAdhal thirudA periya kAdhal thirudA P.Jayachandran / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
manjakuruvi manjakuruvi S.P.Balasubramaniam / P.Susheela / Chorus
poovum thendRal kARRum S.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra
soodu romba soodu Mano / S.P.Sailaja / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:18 am

app_engine wrote:As confirmed by TN-ers, one song from this low profile, hitherto-unfamiliar-to-me "pagalil pourNami" makes it to the chart. Kochi Hanifa was the director, interesting!

#1111 poonthenRalum vanthathu (KSC-SPB duet, there is also an IR version, pagalil pourNami)
Fast moving song with nothing-special kind of orchestration IMO. Appeared to have enough air time in TN because of the IR tag / recording centers etc.

I am shell-shocked that "Karaiyora kaatru" is not even there Crying or Very sad !  It is actually as popular as or maybe even a tad more popular than "Poonthendralum vandhathu".  I missed to vote for Pagalil Pournami; now, I wish I did.

As for Pickpocket, Kaadhal thiruda is a radio & DD song.  A few times, I have watched "Poovum thendral" (my favourite in the album) on Oliyum OLiyum.

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:51 am

Adding songs that stole TN-ers' hearts :

#1117 kAdhal thirudA periya kAdhal thirudA (KSC-PJ with chorus, pick pocket)

Like I mentioned above, it is the choice of listeners who lived in TN who could vouch for its popularity those days, on radio TV etc. For me, this is familiar only in the internet era Embarassed

#1118 manjakkuruvi manjakkuruvi (PS-SPB duet, pick pocket)
What a nice song with a racy tempo! Some HCIRF had even identified that this was originally a BGM in another movie and IR later made it into a song. I have covered this one in the IR-SPB series in the hub due to my familiarity. The only song known to me from the album during 80's and 90's

#1119 poovum thenRal kAtRum (KSC-SPB duet, pick pocket)

Ditto like the kAdhal thirudA song for me - which is why this was not covered as part of SPB hits with IR. Now, it gets to be listed here Smile

Though these are made part of the hits' thread, I should say these were not super-duper hits and can generally be called "B" category (there I show my personal bias Laughing )

Moving on to the next poll - pongi varum kAvEri, album for a grAmarAjan movie - and there's no qualification needed for that fantastic "veLLi kolusu maNi" a patti thotti hit despite with a part-time singer, the great player of flute, Arunmozhi Napolean Smile

dhinamum sirichu mayakki Arunmozhi / K.S.Chithra
veLLi kolusu maNi Arunmozhi / K.S.Chithra
intha rAsAvai nambi vantha yArum ilaiyaRaaja / Chorus
mannavan pAdum thamizh piRantha ilaiyaRaaja / P.Susheela
kattil illai meththai illai S.P.Sailaja

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:44 am

Velli kolusu mani is surely a smash hit.  Dinamum is a popular one too, and a regular song of AIR.  

The other 3 cannot be called "hits", though Indha raasava & Mannavar are good songs & somewhat-familiar numbers.

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:39 pm

TV, cable kaaalam....... kattil ilai paatu thavira ellam adikadi vaitha paatukal....... indha time dhan... ilaiyaraja paatu ellam kaeka mudindhadhu......

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:45 am

Flood of hits continue, this time from the exploding kAvEri.

#1120 dhinamum sirichchu mayakki (KSC - Arunmozhi duet, pongi varum kAvEri)

Frequently played in buses and a huge hit in the villages, fun song!

#1121 veLLi kolusu maNi (KSC-Arunmozhi duet, pongi varum kAvEri)
Perhaps the biggest hit song for the flute maestro who did playback singing for a while! And, what a lovely song!

#1122 mannavan pAdum thamizh piRandha (PS / IR versions, pongi varum kAvEri)
Lovely song with a soothing melody, once again had a lot of air time on buses, teakkadais and such IR-era music promoters

Posting the next album for a poll, ponmana chelvan. A few songs must have been popular, even I've heard a couple those days Smile

pottu vachcha thanga kudam Malaysia Vasudevan / Mano / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
poovAna yEttai thottu Mano / Vani Jayaram
adichEn kAdhal parisu Mano / K.S.Chithra
kAna karugkuyilE kAdhal Or pAvamadi Mano / K.S.Chithra
thOppilE irunthAlum ovvoru maramum [Adi kARRil] Malaysia Vasudevan
inimEl nalla nEramthAn Malaysia Vasudevan / Uma Ramanan / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:01 pm

Pottu vecha, Adichen kaadhal, Poovaana yaetta are super-hits, followed by Thoppile irunthaalum.  I voted for all those 4 songs.  

Moderate hits would be Kaana karunguyile & Inimel nalla.

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:51 am

Though I thought only "poovAna Etta thottu" was a super hit (because of my familiarity only with that number and another UR number that I checked out for the UR thread), I was overwhelmed by the quick response from people on this album.

So, decided to check all the songs on YT, thinking that "நாம தான் தவற விட்டுட்டோம்" Smile Of course, many songs have millions of hits and should have been very popular in TN. However, by way of sweetness and other factors that I go by, not much I missed Embarassed Anyways, doing the scribe work here...

#1123 pottu vachcha thangakkudam (KSC-Mano-MV with chorus, ponmanachchelvan)
Though I wasn't very familiar with this song, TN appeared to have great experience with this one - millions of hits on YT Smile

#1124 poovAna Ettaththottup ponnAna ezhuththAlE (VJ-Mano duet, ponmanachchelvan)

This one is a nice number (though some cheesy pallavi lines...adhukku pramAdham / sabAsh appreciation in dialog vERa Embarassed )

#1125 adichchEn kAdhal parisu (KSC-Mano duet, ponmanachchelvan)

After a listen today I'm sure I've heard this song in Kovai buses Smile

#1126 kAna karunguyilE (KSC-Mano duet, ponmanachchelvan)

One more of the many "karunguyil" songs for Vijayakanth Wink

#1127 thOppilE irundhAlum ovvoru maramum (MV solo, ponmanachchelvan)
First time listen and one wonders how this pathos could have become popular - but even on YT this has million plus hits and I'm surprised!

Having covered that super hit album, let us now move on to "poRuththadhu pOdhum"...needs a poll again as in my mind only "ArArO pAda vandhEnE" plays...

yElE thamizhA enthiridA Malaysia Vasudevan / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
ArArO pAda vanthEnE  ilaiyaRaaja & PS Solo, two versions
adi rANi mangammA Mano
rAthiri thookkam kettu pOchu S.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra
vEppamaram nOyilE Malaysia Vasudevan

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:43 am

Pretty sure that both Aaraaro & Adi raani mangammaa are hits.

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:49 pm

'adi rANi mangammA' got featured by the "Finders Keepers" UK brand, with exceptional sound quality :

Thanks to @sicmafia who reminded this brand which got so much success with "solla cholla enna perumai" (of ellAm inba mayam)

https://finderskeepersrecords.bandcamp.com/album/ilectro

That way, this song is "international hit" (in the internet era, of course).

app_engine

BC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:25 pm

Adding two songs from that album to our list :

#1128 ArArO pAda vandhEnE (PS & IR solo, two versions, poRuththadhu pOthum)
What a lovely and sweet themmAngu song! I need to use a cliche - "the flute portion is melting" Smile

#1129 adi rANi mangammA (Mano solo, poRuththadhu pOthum)
International hit Wink I'm sure it got the attention because people were getting this in their cassettes in recording centers those days Smile

Moving on to the next album, for the movie pulan visAraNai. The movie was a super hit but I'm not sure if there were songs included in the video. One song was of course quite popular (kuyilE kuyilE)...Let's have a poll :

iLamaikku yenna vilai S.Janaki / Chorus
ithuthAn ithukkuthAn athuthAn athukkuthAn ilaiyaRaaja / Chorus
kuyilE kuyilE konjum thamizhE K.J.Yesudas / Uma Ramanan

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:37 am

Voted for Kuyile & Ilamaikku.  Ithuthaan is a good foot-tapping number, but doubt if it is a "hit".

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:55 pm

Per twitter feeds and other resources, all songs from pulan visAraNai were hits - despite the initial reluctance of R K Selvamani to have songs for the movie.

What's more, the movie was a super hit and that perhaps helped push the songs to some people. The songs are obviously not chart-topping variety, IMHO. That those songs got some reach (among the big crowd of hit songs that IR was churning out those days) could be partly because of the movie's success - which is a rarity in IR's history. (Usually it's the other way around and / or "despite the failure of the movie" kinds).

#1130 iLamaikku enna vilai (SJ with chorus, pulan visAraNai)
Dance number, foot tapping variety. Personally don't think much of it but this had its reach in TN

#1131 ithu thAn ithukku thAn (IR with chorus, pulan visAraNai)

Another foot-tapping variety, with a different kind of rhythm, lot of people seemed to have liked this one too in TN (has a decent count of views on YT too)

#1132 kuyilE kuyilE konjum thamizhE (UR-KJY duet, pulan visAraNai)

My fav of the album, very sweet number and quite popular!

We can comfortably add all songs of the next album into the list in this thread without poll - KB's last with IR Wink

#1133 kELadi kaNmaNi (SPB solo, puthu puthu arthangaL)

There is some resemblance of the first line of pallavi to "sO gayA" of Tezaab. However, one will never know when this got recorded and whether L-P took from IR or it was a case of simultaneously "thinking similar". That the song was a super hit is without question, even a movie got made with the name 'kELadi kaNmani' with SPB as hero.

#1134 ellOrum mAvAtta kaththukkidaNum (SPS-SPB duet with chorus, puthu puthu arthangaL)

Comedy song and one that got played everywhere in TN and Palakkad

#1135 guruvAyoorappA (KSC-SPB duet, puthu puthu arthangaL)
What a terrific, racy duet! I love the second interlude (rate it as one of the best from IR) and the whole song is a riot! I wrote many posts in the "last song listened" thread appreciating this number. Top fav from this album!

#1136 eduththu nAn vidavA (SPB-IR duet, puthu puthu arthangaL)
Fun song, this one having IR doing a stammer voice for Janagaraj, exceptionally well!

#1137 kalyANa mAlai (Multiple versions, SPB's the most popular, puthu puthu arthangaL)
Lovely song in the kaNda nadai, phenomenal strings make one melt!

Time for next poll - this is for a relatively unknown album (i.e. to me) - rAjA rAjA dhAn

eerettu pathinARu nidRAdum iLamAthu Mano / S.Janaki
innum yenna pEchchu Malaysia Vasudevan / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
mAmarathu kuyilu poo manjam idum mayilu ilaiyaRaaja / K.S.Chithra
mynA mayakkamA [girAmathu pAttaiyellAm] Malaysia Vasudevan / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:50 am

Isn't Maamarathu kuyilu a "hit" number?  Anyway, I have voted for it.

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:58 pm

Adding the hits from "rAjA rAjA thAn" (yet another Ramarajan-Gowthami movie and I'm surprised to see that the video for mAmaraththu kuyilu has millions of views Shocked )

#1138 eerettu pathinARu (SJ-Mano duet, rAjA rAjA thAn)
TN-ers confirm this "fusion" song was quite popular, so adding this here

#1139 mAmaraththukkuyilu (KSC-IR duet, rAjA rAjA thAn)
Now I know this was a super hit song Embarassed Well, IR used to give generously for grAmarAjan, so it should not be a surprise.

Adding the next poll for the Rajini-Shobana movie sivA. I'm familiar with both the duets (adi vAnmathi & iru vizhiyin vazhiyE) as they've reached KL. Need to ask TN-ers for the other songs.

adi vAnmathi yen pArvathiS.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra
veLLikizhamai thalai muzhugiilaiyaRaaja / K.S.Chithra
iru vizhiyin vazhiyE neeyA vanthu pOnathuS.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
ada mAppiLLai summA muRaikAthE [intha ooril]S.P.Balasubramaniam / Saibaba / Chorus
adi kaNNAthA ponnAthA [aiyA aiyA hOi]S.P.Balasubramaniam / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:26 am

I voted for all songs except Adi kannaathaa.  Velli kizhama is an eye-sore but good to just "listen" to Embarassed ; I think it could be, fairly, a "hit".

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:38 pm

Per overwhelming response in twitter, all songs of sivA were hits Embarassed  I played all songs in YT and found out that I've heard all the songs (involuntarily of course) except the "adi kaNNAththA" song. However, even that got played in TN frequently it seems. Obviously the Rajini effect but that cannot stop us from adding the song to the list in this thread. So, here we go:

#1140 adi vAnmathi en pArvathi (KSC-SPB duet, sivA)

Sweet duet with lot of IR-signature stuff. Like I mentioned before, reached me in Palakkad even when I had no idea what movie this was from. Included in the mayyam.com thread on IR-SPB hits, of course.

#1141 veLLikizhama thala muzhugi (KSC-IR duet, sivA)
This song made it to the finders-keepers KSC collection and I came to know of its existence only in the recent years Embarassed

#1142 iru vizhiyin vazhiyE (KSC-SPB duet, sivA)

What a lovely, racy duet song! Personal favorite from this album Smile

#1143 ada mAppiLLa summA muRaikkadha (Saibaba - SPB with chorus, sivA)

Never knew the existence of this song until the whole group got upset with me for not including this in the IR-SPB hits thread at mayyam.com Embarassed 

#1144 adi kaNNaththA ponnAththa (SPB and chorus, sivA)
Ditto as the one above.

Most songs should have been hit in the next album "thangamAna rAsA" - however, I got introduced to some of them only in the internet era. So, I had better ask TN-ers in a poll :

sokkupodi vachchirukken mAmAArunmozhi / S.Janaki
kaRpudaiya AmbaLaingaS.P.Balasubramaniam / Chorus
tHen madhurai seemaiyilEK.S.Chithra / Chorus
kaNNE yen kArmugilEilaiyaRaaja / K.S.Chithra

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:46 am

I voted for all songs barring Karpudaya.  Even that could be dubbed as moderate hit, IMHO.

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:26 pm

Once again quick and overwhelming responses for "thangamAna rAsA" - looks like all songs were hits, with varying degrees Smile

#1145 sokkuppodi vachchirukkEn mAmA (SJ / Arun Mozhi duet, thangamAna rAsA)

Janaki in kuRumbu mode, possibly sung in a way to match the histrionics of Kanaga. This movie should have been made in a rush - immediately after the huge success of karagam. Enjoyable themmAngu!

#1146 kaRpudaiya AmbaLainga (SPB with chorus, thangamAna rAsA)
Reminds us of some old songs but still enjoyable. Moderate hit (even I heard it despite not living in TN, covered it in the IR-SPB thread)

#1147 then madurai seemaiyilE (KSC with chorus, thangamAna rAsA)
Super hit song and so enjoyable to listen!

#1148 kaNNE en kAr mugilE (KSC-IR duet, thangamAna rAsA)

Perhaps the director wanted something similar to "kudagu malai" - poignant and also soothing. I've not heard many times but TN-ers confirm this was a big hit.

Next poll is for "thenRal sudum"

oru rAjA yen pinnOdu vanthAn K.S.Chithra / S.P.Sailaja / Chorus
dhoori dhoori dhumakka dhoori   Happy / Pathos versions, multiple singers
kaNNammA kaNNammA oNNoNNA sollalAmA ilaiyaRaaja
AthAdi alli kodi poothAdum malli chedi Uma Ramanan

I'm sure I've heard all these songs before. However, I'm not sure whether they were hits in TN or not. (It's possible I heard these songs on the net / raajafm only).

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:22 pm

Regardless of whether 'AthAdi allikkodi' song was a hit or not, it had some attention from HCIRF's on the internet Smile

For one, we have covered it as part of UR songs in that thread.

More importantly, Vicky has paid an interesting tribute to this song here (please make sure you read his notes below the video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE2sfs9P6Io

app_engine

Usha and BC like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:49 am

My votes for all songs except Aaththaadi.  While the last one is a good song, I think it is not popular as the other three.

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  [μsic]மாபியா Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:28 am

All were Hits Except Athadi were hits. But Songs like like Athadi Allikodi, Enakkutha (velaikaran) Thanniyila Nananja(keladi Kanmani) etc., gained popularity much later...sleeper hits!
[μsic]மாபியா
[μsic]மாபியா

http://myradiostream.com/irmafia

Usha likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:15 pm

Sleeper Hits...nalla vaarthai...ipadi oru list podalam Raja paatuku......

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:21 pm

வந்தபொழுதில் ஹிட் ஆகாத அந்தப்பாட்டை விட்டு விடுவோம். (இப்போதும் அது ராசா விசிறிகளுக்கு அப்பால் சென்று எட்டவில்லை என்பதே வலையில் காணும் நிலைமை).

ஆக, மிச்சம் இருக்கும் மூன்றையும் பதிவேட்டில் ஏற்றி விட்டு அடுத்த ஆல்பத்துக்குப் போகலாம் Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 31 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22 ... 31  Next