Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

+15
[μsic]மாபியா
crimson king
BC
vss1902
al_gates
counterpoint
mythila
IsaiRasigan
jaiganesh
ravinat
Drunkenmunk
ank
Usha
app_engine
raagakann
19 posters

Page 8 of 31 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19 ... 31  Next

Go down

Any TN hits from "rAman adbullA"?

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Vote_lcap0%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Vote_lcap43%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 3 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Vote_lcap0%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Vote_lcap29%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Vote_lcap14%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Vote_lcap14%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Empty Re: Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

Post  IsaiRasigan Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:25 am

Of course, Azhagi referred to the cow only. For Pasunesan, his first love was always the cows!

IsaiRasigan

Back to top Go down

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Empty Re: Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:48 pm

IsaiRasigan wrote:Of course, Azhagi referred to the cow only. For Pasunesan, his first love was always the cows!

rotfl

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:00 am

ennai vittuppOgAthE adds two more to the IR hit list. Let's get them here and move on to the next poll :

#919 vAlAttum oorkkuruvi (KSC-Mano duet, ennai vittuppOgAthE)
It was around this time that this duet pair was slowly and steadily getting into a regular-preferred-combo by the composer. This song was quite popular and I was personally very familiarized during bus trips.

#920 ponnaippOla AththA (IR solo, ennai vittuppOgAthE)
Never knew that this famous ammA song by IR was from this album. Quite an iconic number!

While some songs from grAmaththu minnal were super hits and reached me in Palakkad, not sure about the reception of those (as well as rest of the songs in the album) inside TN. So, a poll will be needed to finalize the hits :

kaNNE yen kaNNA nee kaNthoongu K.S.Chithra
nee pOgum pAthaiyil manasu pOguthE mAnE Malaysia Vasudevan / K.S.Chithra
kalyANam paNNi koLLammA Malaysia Vasudevan / S.N.Surendar / Chorus
vatti yedutha soRRai pOttittE ilaiyaRaaja / K.S.Chithra
rettai kiLi suRRi vantha [yE vidiyAtha pozhuthAchu] ilaiyaRaaja / K.S.Chithra

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:33 pm

Let us add the grAmaththu minnal hits and move on:

#921 kaNNE en kaNNA nee (KSC solo, grAmaththu minnal)
Remember watching this boring movie in one of the Palakkad theaters (not sure if it was "new" theater or somewhere else) and this song in which Revathy was showering love upon a lamb...sweet number!

#922 nee pOgum pAdhaiyil manasu pOguthE mAnE (KSC-MV duet, grAmaththu minnal)
Biggest hit of the album, per my observation! Was frequently heard on buses and other involuntary settings!

#923 vatti eduththa sORappottutta (KSC-IR duet, grAmaththu minnal)
Superb nAdan beauty of a song, with that perfect IR voice as pinnaNi for grAmarAjan! V_Sji wrote a nice post on this song in one of those mayyam threads.

#924 rettakkiLi suththi vandha (KSC-IR duet, grAmaththu minnal)
This was an "all-Gangai-Amaran-lyrics" kind of album. Possibly the group were often together those days!

The next album is illam & I've covered the 'nandhavanam pooththirukkudhu' song in the IR-SPB thread of the hub, possibly citing my teakkadai experience in Kuniyamuthur or another Kovai suburb on the NH to Palakkad - not sure of the hit status of other songs inside TN. So, a poll will be necessary:

nanthavanam poothirukkuthu [azhagendRa virunthu vaithAL] S.P.Balasubramaniam
Adum pAmbirukkuthu [kAdhalilE thOlviyuRRAn] P.Jayachandran / Gangai Amaran / Chorus
puttu puttu vaikkattumA Mano
manjal neerAttu [rAsAthi poNNu magal] K.S.Chithra / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:11 pm

#925 nandhavanam pooththirukkudhu (SPB solo, illam)
At the minimum, the song was popular in the Kovai area buses Smile Looks like it wasn't that well known all-around TN and could be categorized in the "B" list Wink

Moving on to the next poll, for the album "iniya uRavu pooththadhu" - another album by IR for the legendary director Sridhar. I'm familiar with "chikkEnRa Adaiyil" gym song, not sure about the reach of others in TN :

chikkeNdRa Adaiyil chittukaL Adattum S.Janaki / Dr.Kalyan
Or poomAlai athil thEn ivvELai Mano / K.S.Chithra
kaiyAlE type adikkathAnE S.P.Balasubramaniam
yenGe yengE sugam yengE S.Janaki
thottAlE pOthum kalyANam Agum Mano
chittu pOlE mottu pOlE piLLai vara pORAn thottil mElE K.S.Chithra / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:26 pm

Besides my familiarity with "chikkenRa Adaiyil", based on twitter feedback, we have two hits from that Sridhar movie (possibly the lowest for an IR album for this director).

#926 chikkenRa Adaiyil 1-2-3-4 (SJ with some Dr Kalyan sEttaigaL, iniya uRavu pooththadhu)
Following the trend of agni natchaththiram I think. rOjAppoo had Amala and this one was for Nadhiya. Heard on buses frequently but not a patti-thotti phenomenon I think.

#927 Or poomAlai adhil thEn ivvELai (KSC-Mano duet, iniya uRavu pooththadhu)
I'm familiar with this one but wasn't sure if others felt it was popular inside TN. Looks like it was. Possibly the recording center culture at peak and anything above average that IR was composing made it to cassette players those days Smile

Moving on to the next album - iraNdil onRu - which is totally unfamiliar one for me (i.e. prior to the hub days. Heard 'nArinil poo thoduththu' for the first time when V_Sji wrote a post I think)...will add a poll.

sangeetha poomazhaiyE yen santhEgam theeralaiyE Mano / K.S.Chithra
kAdhalukku thoothu solli vA vA K.S.Chithra
oru vEtti vanthu sElai kitta pOduthu oru pOtti Mano / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
mAnA madhurai thanthEn [Bit] Gousalya
nArinil poo thoduthu mAlaiyAkinEn ilaiyaRaaja / K.S.Chithra
thnga kudam yedutha poNNugaLE Malaysia Vasudevan / Chorus
ingE ellArum nallavangathAn nAma thoongiRappO Malaysia Vasudevan / Chorus
poovukku poovu vachchu [Bit] Gousalya / Chorus
karNanukku pin piRantha [dharmarukku pin piRantha] [Bit] Gousalya / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 01, 2018 11:17 pm

Looks like that iraNdil onRu had at least one hit, as insisted by voters Smile

#928 sangeethappoomazhaiyE en sandhEgam theeralaiyE (KSC-Mano duet, iraNdil onRu)
This song possibly evokes nostalgia in some people who went to college those days (as could be seen from youtube comments). Well, I was out of it and didn't know the song then Embarassed

Let us catalog the songs of the super hit album jallikkattu without poll...

#929 hEy rAjA onRAnOm inRu (Mano-SPB duet, jallikkattu)
Heard this umpteen times on buses those days. Interestingly, this is one of those few movies I watched in the "new" theater of Palakkad.

#930 kAdhal kiLiyE kAdhal kiLiyE (SJ-Mano, jallikkattu)
Another hit that I've heard mostly on buses and recordings of other people

#931 eththaniyO kannippoNNu nAttil irukku (SJ-Mano with chorus, jallikkattu)
Fun song and this too got played on buses often those days. Most people may not remember now, however Embarassed

#932 kaththichchaNdai pOdAmalE (KSC with chorus, jallikkattu)
Das-Das chinnappa Das-Das song that got composed for BGM of kadalOrakkavidhaigaL became an anthem for Sathyaraj and Manivannan got a full-size song from IR for this movie. Another "mostly-heard-on-buses" number

#933 Eriyil oru Odam (MV solo, jallikkattu)
Song for Sivaji and needless to say it was a big hit in TN and outside those days - very energetic song!

We need a poll for the next movie as I have no idea about that "kAdhal Oyvadhillai" (could be dubbed movie as all songs have SPB-SJ but the director is Manivannan)

intha dhAvaNi kuyil isai pAduthu kaNNA S.P.Balasubramaniam / S.Janaki
mANikka silaiyE manmatha kalaiyE S.P.Balasubramaniam / S.Janaki
rAjA mOhini suga rAga dEvi nee S.P.Balasubramaniam / S.Janaki
kadal mElE alai pOlE viLaiyAdu mAnE S.P.Balasubramaniam / S.Janaki
sirikkum mattum sirithu vidu rangA S.P.Balasubramaniam

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed May 02, 2018 11:08 pm

Looks like only a few HCIRFs heard about that kAdhal Oyvadhillai movie / album.

Interestingly, though the disk came out in 1987, the original Telugu movie itself got released in 1989 only (some 'Gopala Rao Gari Abbayi' flop movie) and got dubbed into Thamizh too then. Not many in TN knew about it apparently.

Let us drop that off and likewise another dubbing movie kaNNE kalaimAnE (this one by BM of his Telugu venture, rehashing some tunes from his earlier Malayalam movies such as thumbi vA / yamunE ninnude nenjil etc). TN-ers may find the songs familiar (because of the originals) but let's not scratch our head over this album.

Moving on to next poll, for an unreleased movie but album came out in 1987.

kaNNukkoru vaNNakkiLi.

Surprised to see that even Asha Bhosle had a duet with SPB in this album and I remember hearing that song often those days - never knew it was from an unreleased movie Smile

Can people confirm if TN-ers listened to the songs on recording centers / feverishly copied in cassettes / played in teakkadai bus etc?

unnai nAn pArkaiyil [Duet] S.P.Balasubramaniam / Asha Bhosale
unnai nAn pArkaiyil [Male] K.J.Yesudas
ingE pon veeNai yengE sangeetham Lata Mangeshkar
gAnam then kARROdu pOi sollum pOthu ilaiyaRaaja
vAlibam vAnavil vAlibam vAnavil mOham vanthAl mOtcham uNdu Anuradha / Chorus
yAr azhuthu yAr thuyaram ARum [1] ilaiyaRaaja
yAr azhuthu yAr thuyaram ARum [2] K.J.Yesudas
thuLi thuLi mazhaiyAi thuLir vidum manamE Mano / P.Susheela / Chorus
pathinARu pathinEzhu vayathOdu vAzhum poovithO Mano / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed May 02, 2018 11:28 pm

Just noticed that not just AB, even LM had sung in that album Shocked

That means, an IR album in which both sisters sang was for a movie that never got released Laughing

Regardless, this song by AB-SPB was definitely very popular ; I myself have heard on Kovai area buses so many times!

Let us see what others who lived in TN think about this rare kind of album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLEe_A2wnk8

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 03, 2018 11:15 pm

My guesswork above on kAdhal Oyvadhillai & kaNNE kalaimAnE (that those were dubbed movies) got confirmed by Anbu sir via e-mail.

Regarding kAdhal Oivathillai, its dubbed movie from Telugu movie gOpala rao gAri abbAyi. Actually the Telugu audio released as janaranjani in 1986 and the movie release as  gOpala rao gAri abbAyi in 1989. The Thamizh dubbed version kAdhal Oivathillai audio released in 1987  and movie released in 1989.

kaNNE kalaimAnE's original was Telugu "nireekshanA" (which some of the forumers knew before).

He has also sent the corresponding audio sleeve pictures Smile

Will host in the corresponding threads!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed May 09, 2018 8:48 pm

OK, let us collect those two hits from that unreleased movie whose album featured LM & AB Wink

#934 unnai nAn pArkkaiyil oomaiyAy AkiREn (AB-SPB duet, kaNNukkoru vaNNakkiLi)
As mentioned before, became familiar with this song mainly via CBE area buses. I have not covered this song in the IR-SPB series done on the mayyam possibly because the album wasn't on thiraippAdal or other places I was searching Embarassed

#935 gAnam then kAtROdu (IR solo, kaNNukkoru vaNNakkiLi)
Another song heard in buses those days from this unreleased movie.

Moving on to the next album, Krishnan vandhAn - none of the songs sound familiar to me Embarassed

Let us have a poll!

oru uRavu azhaikuthu Mano / P.Susheela
aNNE aNNE konjam vAnga vAnga ilaiyaRaaja / Mano / P.Susheela
singinA singiyadiyO [madArAsu seemaiyilE] Malaysia Vasudevan
thaniyAga paduthu paduthu pazhagi pOchu ilaiyaRaaja / P.Susheela
mAdu izhutha vaNdiyellAm izhuthu pArthEn ilaiyaRaaja

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon May 14, 2018 10:49 pm

While some IRF's have heard Krishnan vandhAn songs, the general consensus is they weren't popular inside TN. So, let us skip that album.

Moving on to the next one, manadhil uRudhi vENdum (KB-Suhasini movie). I had that echo cassette (poor quality, went bad pretty quickly) and heard them frequently while in Kerala. I've definitely heard a few of them on buses from time to time.

TN-ers, please pick which were hits inside the state :

manathil uruthi vENdum K.J.Yesudas
vangAla kadalE yennai unnAsai vidalai K.J.Yesudas
kaNNin maNiyE kaNNin maNiyE pOrAttamA K.S.Chithra
kANNA varuvAyA meerA kEtkirAL K.J.Yesudas / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
Achi Achi nalla kaNNAlam kAtchi Mano / K.S.Chithra
sangathamiZH kaviyE santhangaL sollum K.J.Yesudas / K.S.Chithra

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 15, 2018 10:01 pm

Adding hits from that KB movie and also nAyakan (that needs no poll).

#936 manadhil uRudhi vENdum (KJY solo, manadhil uRudhi vENdum)
First line from Bharathi poem and rest by Vaali, quite famous those days and got played on buses.

#937 vangALakkadalE (KJY solo, manadhil uRudhi vENdum)
I remember watching this movie and got amused with Suhasini dancing with some of her "dream" heroes Laughing The song's first line resembled some earlier IR song (may be in line with that movie situation). Nevertheless, this song was popular as well.

#938 kaNNin maNiyE kaNNin maNiyE (KSC solo, manadhil uRudhi vENdum)
Possibly the biggest hit from the album - it got played everywhere at the time of arrival! Sort of a "follow-up" song for the KSC-Suhasini combo after the sindhu bhairavi hits prior

#939 kaNNA varuvAyA (KSC-KJY duet, manadhil uRudhi vENdum)

Lot of similarity between this song and the SJ classic from nizhalgaL (dhooraththil nAn kaNda un mugam) and both used to play together in my mind those days. The song had reasonable amount of popularity those days and I should say, evergreen appeal!

#940 sangaththamizhkkaviyE (KSC-KJY duet, manadhil uRudhi vENdum)
Though I knew this song from that movie, over a time period forgot the song. Then came this "IR's tablA hits" cassette bought in a small shop in Palakkad in Y2K that had this song...Funny to think that I was wondering like "எங்கேயோ கேட்டிருக்கேனே - என்ன படத்தில் இந்தப்பாட்டு?" Laughing

#941 then pANdichchemaiyilE (IR-KH classic, nAyagan)
Right from the time IR starts humming "Ah...." it was goosebumps for me, when I watched the movie in theater and heard this song for the first time ever. In love with this number and hear it from time to time even now!

#942 nAn siriththAl deepAvaLi (MS Rajeswari - Jamuna Rani duet, nAyagan)
Excellent reproduction of olden-days IFM by IR, for a "period setting" song! No need to say it was popular in TN - recently watched an on-stage performance of the famous singers (when the news of MSR's death came).

#943 nee oru kAdhal sangeetham (KSC-Mano duet, nAyagan)
Evergreen classic, with some nice pAdal varigaL by Pulamaippiththan (who wrote four songs in this album)

#944 andhi mazhai mEgam (PS-TLM duet with chorus, nAyagan)
Another "period" song and IR chose singers accordingly IMHO Smile Excellent cinematography for this song by PC Sriram (who won an award for this movie, deservingly)

#945 nilA adhu vAnaththu mElE (IR solo, nAyagan)
I guess the popularity of this number led to IR singing many more songs for Janagaraj in the coming months / years. Supposedly the original tune given by IR for the title lullaby (but MR rejected for that requirement but used for a different setting.)

Well, nAyagan movie was a classic and as a coincidence we hear the news of the death of Balakumaran, who wrote dialogs for this movie (those famous one-liners)...condolences to his family members.

Moving on to the next album - which needs a poll : ninaikkath therindha manamE

chinna chinna muthu neerilE K.J.Yesudas / S.Janaki
yengengu nee seNdRa pothum K.J.Yesudas / K.S.Chithra duet / KJY solo
kaNNukkum kaNNukkum mOthal K.J.Yesudas
iLamai rathathil iyaRRkai sugathil K.S.Chithra / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed May 16, 2018 6:09 pm

It's unfortunate that the song 'இளமை ரதத்தில் இயற்கை சுகத்தில் இளங்கிளியே' by KSC and chorus in this ninaikkaththerindha manamE didn't get the attention it deserved Sad Such a sweet #IR_Waltz sounding very fresh! Well, I would have heard this a few times but cannot call it a hit song.

Documenting the other three from this movie as additions to our running list Smile

#946 chinnachchinna muththu neerilE (SJ-KJY duet, ninaikkaththerindha manamE)
Never knew which movie this song was from those days - enjoyed it nevertheless during many bus rides. The internet informs me the name of the movie as well as the actors (Mohan-Roobini it seems)

#947 engengu nee senRa pOthum (KSC-KJY duet and also a KJY solo, ninaikkaththerindha manamE)
Very popular song, once again introduced to me by buses / recording centers / teakkadais and such.

#948 kaNNukkum kaNNukkum mOdhal (KJY solo, ninaikkaththerindha manamE)
Besides hearing this song in buses those days, also had this in some "hit" collections over the years - don't know how the song made into all those, despite not registering the name of the movie in my mind...well, problem of too much / plenty...

Moving on to another big hit album, ninaivE oru sangeetham...need status on one or two songs which I'm not sure how they fared in TN, so poll needed.

yEththamaiyA yEththam Malaysia Vasudevan / K.S.Chithra
yEduthu vachcha pAlum (two versions, SPB solo / SJ solo)
ungaLai oNNum seiyamAttOm Mano / Chorus
santhai kadai chellAyi Malaysia Vasudevan
pagalilE oru nilavinai kaNdEn S.Janaki

My doubts are about that "unagaLai onnum seyya mAttom" song as to how it fared in TN...know for sure rest were big hits!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:28 pm

Resuming this exercise after a gap...

There are four hits to collect from "ninaivE oru sangeetham" - a hit album for Vijayakanth-Radha movie.

#949 EththamaiyA Eththam (KSC-MV duet, ninaivE oru sangeetham)
Remember watching this song in the "Kodaikkanal relay of Chennai tholaikkAtchi" in a B&W TV in Palakkad Smile Big hit in TN those days!

#950 eduththu vachcha pAlum (Two versions, SJ & SPB solos, ninaivE oru sangeetham)
Heard it 100's of times on buses - sounds like a song "made for buses" Smile

#951 sandhakkada chellAyi (MV and kuzhuvinar, ninaivE oru sangeetham)
Never had a personal collection of this song - heard involuntarily only Wink

#952 pagalilE oru nilavaikkaNdEn adhu karuppu nilA (SJ solo, ninaivE oru sangeetham)
Possibly for praising Vijayakanth and the song was very popular (IIRC, they also made a movie "karuppu nilA" in the 90's)

Let me host a poll for the next album, orE oru grAmaththilE. I don't know how it fared inside TN. I know 'rettaikkiLigaL anRAdam pEsum' was a hit (as I've heard many times). Don't remember hearing others at all.

annam pOdum ooru [Title Song] ilaiyaRaaja / Chorus
Olai kudisaiyilE pazham sElaiyil oonjalAdum S.Janaki
orE oru giramathilE orE oru kaLLukadai Malaysia Vasudevan / Saibaba / Chorus
rettai kiLigal anRAdam pEsum kattil kathaigaL K.J.Yesudas / K.S.Chithra
vanthirichu vanthirichu mooLai vanthirichu Gangai Amaran
jAthi yennadA jAthi Malaysia Vasudevan / Chorus
nallathOr veeNai seithEn K.S.Chithra
padichu yennathai kiLikkapORadA ilaiyaRaaja / S.P.Sailaja

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Empty Iniya Uravu Poothadhu

Post  BC Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:12 am

HELLO app_engine, Iniya Uravu Poothadhu movie (1987, Suresh-Nadhiya) 2 songs are popular: 1. Or Poomaalai adhil thaen ivvelai - Addictive Prelude set in Carnatic base with Chitra humming and continuing into the 2nd interlude   2. Sikkendra Aadaiyil - the popular EXERCISE song of Nadhiya! (Heard it in gyms too!)

Another song Dhoorathu Pachai - Anandha Maalai song  Maybe a poll for this song and the following:

3 songs from the movie Chinna Kuyil Paadudhu:  Unnai naane azhaithaene, Chinna kuyil oru paattu paaduthu and Chithirai maadhathu poongaathu.

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:51 pm

BC,
Welcome to the thread and thank you for the interest in documenting IR's Thamizh(nAdu) hits!

If you please check the prior pages, you'll notice that akkarai pachchai & iniya uRavu pooththadhu had already been completed Smile
(The songs you've mentioned from iniya uRavu pooththadhu are already included as hits. As there were no votes for akkarai pachchai songs, that album didn't have any representation).

I'm actually following a spreadsheet provided by Anbu sir (that has meticulously included >99% of Ilayaraja's TFM output with a great deal of accuracy, the best one available so far).

I'll e-mail you the spreadsheet, for ready reference - on what had been already done and what are going to come Smile

Meanwhile, please watch this space for more albums from 1987 (and later years) and keep pouring in your inputs!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:11 pm

Adding one hit from OOG

#953 rettaikkiLigaL anRAdam pEsum kattil kadhaigaL (KSC-KJY duet, orE oru grAmaththilE)
As in the case of many IR songs from 2nd half of 80's, this was never owned but heard only on public address systems (mainly buses)

Moving on to the next album, oruvar vAzhum Alayam - that definitely had a few hit songs (malaiyOram mayilE plays regularly on my vaNdi even nowadays! I've also heard that uyirE uyirE urugAthE many times during my trips)

I don't know clearly how rest of the songs got received in TN. So, poll is needed Smile

malaiyOram mayilE viLaiyadum kuyilE Malaysia Vasudevan / K.S.Chithra
baby you are my baby Anuradha / Francis Lazarus
nee pourNami yendRum yen nenjilE K.J.Yesudas
singAra peNNoruthi Mano
vAnin dEvi varuga S.P.Balasubramaniam / S.Janaki
pallaviyE saraNam S.P.Balasubramaniam / S.Janaki
uyirE uyirE urugAthE K.J.Yesudas / S.Janaki

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Empty 3 songs to the list

Post  BC Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:19 am

app_engine, I can't believe you put 3 of these songs in the vote list! No   These 3 need to make it to the "hit" list directly without further polling.  

Malaiyoram Mayile, Nee Pournami endrum en nenjile and Uyire uyire urugaadhe.   doublethumbsup    Of course, I cast my votes for ALL these 3 songs.

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:57 pm

BC wrote:app_engine, I can't believe you put 3 of these songs in the vote list! No   

That was because I wasn't living in TN from 1986 onward & cannot vouch for the songs' popularity personally Smile

Until the year 1985, I didn't even have polls but cataloged them (based on my objective & honest personal observations)

Let me add these three songs, based on the votes & opinions and move to the next album Smile

#954 malaiyOram mayilE veLaiyAdum kuyilE (KSC-MV duet, oruvar vAzhum Alayam)
As a coincidence, I saw an article in a newsmag yesterday- that highlighted this album as "all-songs-written-by-Ponnadiyan-the-lyricist"! So, people remember the songs from this album that came 3 decades before!

#955 nee pourNami enRum en nenjilE (KJY solo, oruvar vAzhum Alayam)
A personal favorite - though I've heard this song only decades later Embarassed

#956 uyirE uyirE urugAdhE (SJ-KJY duet, oruvar vAzhum Alayam)
Definitely heard this one on buses those days - happy to get confirmation that this was popular in TN!

Next album too had some songs that reached me - pAdu nilAvE - K Rengaraj movie (possibly a remake with Nadhiya)... Not sure about those other than malaiyOram veesum kAtru, pAdungaL pAttuppAdungaL & vA veLiyE...So, poll needed.

kokkarkO kok kO koovuRa sEvalukku Mano / K.S.Chithra
malaiyOram veesum kAththu SPB & KSC solos
vA veLiyE iLam poongkuyilE S.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra
kuththammA nellu kuththu K.S.Chithra / Chorus
pAdungaL pAttu pAdungaL S.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
chiththirai mAthathu nilavu varuthu Mano / K.S.Chithra

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 8 Empty Hit

Post  BC Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:11 pm

thankyou For sending those 3 songs from Oruvar vaazhum aalayam to the hit list! thumbsup

Coming to the next movie, it is definitely a Rangaraj movie.  Not sure of if its a remake of any Malayalam movie!  

Malaiyoram veesum kaathu Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven is SURELY popular as the pathos song by the SPB + Mike Mohan combo.  Most would come up with this song when asked for the sad songs of Mohan.  The rest, maybe, need a poll.  

My personal favourites are the above song, Vaa veliye (good duet) and another duet, Chithirai maadhathu nilavu varudhu.

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:53 am

Looks like pAdu nilAvE was quite popular inside TN (more than what I thought it was) Embarassed

Adding those songs that got votes into our "hit list".

#957 kokkarakkokkO koovuRa sEvalukku (KSC-Mano duet, pAdu nilAvE)
I personally thought this didn't reach a big audience and that's why IR tried again a variant in ennuyir thOzhan (kuyilukkuppam). When the BR movie too didn't do the trick, it got a modified avatAr - thooLiyilE Ada vandha - which was one of the biggest patti-thotti hits ever. (Perhaps the biggest in Mano's career). However, TN-ers think even this kokkarakkokkO had its listeners Smile

#958 maliyOram veesum kAththu (SPB solo, pAdu nilAvE)
No questions here - what a song! Popular to this day!

#959 vA veLiyE iLam poonkuyilE (KSC-SPB duet, pAdu nilAvE)
Wasn't familiar with this song those days but one of my favorites in the internet era! Fantastic song with 4 & 3 beat nadai changes on the fly! Brilliant! BTW, I didn't include this when I covered IR-SPB series in mayyam.com, so an addition here Smile

#960 kuththammA nellukkuththu (KSC with chorus, pAdu nilAvE)
Must have been popular those days for Nadhiya - typical group song that she had so many on-screen those days Embarassed

#961 pAdungaL pAttuppAdungaL (KSC-SPB duet, pAdu nilAvE)
This song reached me in Palakkad and I cannot question Smile Duly covered in the IR-SPB series too!

#962 chithirai mAdhaththu nilavu varudhu (KSC-Mano duet, pAdu nilAvE)
Quite popular those days and got played in buses, like many of those IR-80s-numbers!

I'll have to add a poll for a Kamal movie in this thread now (unfortunately) Embarassed
pEr sollum piLLai

ammammA vanthathingu singakutti Kamal Haasan
mAdi yERi vAmmA tv pAkkalAm S.P.Balasubramaniam / S.Janaki
thappu thaNdA paNNiduvEn S.P.Balasubramaniam / S.Janaki
viLakEthu viLakEthu veLLikizhamai Malaysia Vasudevan / Chorus
pEr sollum piLLai neethAne short song S.P.Balasubramaniam / Suseela two versions

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:37 pm

Adding those two songs from PSP

#963 ammammA vandhadhindha singakkutty (KH solo, pEr sollum piLLai)
Of course I've heard only this song from this album those days and thus can agree with others that this was a hit. However, I'm not a fan of this song Embarassed

#964 veLakkEththu veLakkEththu veLLikkEzhama (MV with chorus, pEr sollum piLLai)
Perhaps the first song in this thread that I record as a hit (based on the feedback of TN-ers) which I've never heard before Shocked  And when I tried to listen today on youtube, I could not go beyond the pallavi - if heard without pre-knowledge, wouldn't have even associated the song with IR Sad

OK, with that rare kind of a dud Kamal movie & corresponding TFM album done, let us move on to the next one!

The next album is puyal pAdum pAttu (and I'm familiar with vEl muruganukku motta onnu song - others unknown, a poll is being added)

vEl muruganukku mottai [nadanam AdinAl] Malaysia Vasudevan / Chorus
kaNNana kaNNE kaNNeer yEn ingE K.S.Chithra
ozhungA padikka vidAma S.P.Balasubramaniam / Chorus
annAdam kasttappattAlum [pongalO pongal] Malaysia Vasudevan / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
puyal oru pAttu pAduthE Malaysia Vasudevan / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:48 pm

#965 vEl muruganukku mottai onnu (MV and chorus, puyal pAdum pAttu)
Enjoyable fun song - I remember it was an instant hit, with college youththu happily grabbing it. One of my college mates was staying with his friends at CIT for a few months as he worked in Coimbatore and I visited him a few times. That was how I knew about this song Smile

Moving on to the next album & I know rAsAththi manasula was a super hit evergreen song! Let us get approvals from TN residents for that Smile Also, I'm not sure about all the songs as to their popularity! (Movie came in 1988 but it was an 1987 album).

piLLaiyArE piLLaiyAre [Title Song] ilaiyaRaaja / Chorus
rAsAthi manasula Two versions Mano / P.Susheela
kAlai nEra rAgamE K.S.Chithra
seethaikoru rAvaNanthaan Mano
kammA karai Oram kaNNu reNdum sErum Malaysia Vasudevan / K.S.Chithra
mayilAttam pArthuputtu Malaysia Vasudevan / Gangai Amaran / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Based on my twitter conversation with TN-ers, I'm excluding the "seethaikkoru rAvaNan dhAn" song and add 3 from rAsAvE unnai nambi Smile

#966 rAsAththi manasula (Two versions, PS-Mano duet happy and another pathos solo, rAsAvE unnai nambi)
IIRC, this was the debut film (or production) of Raj Kiran who went on to become famous in TF field. This song with pAdal varigaL also by IR, is one of the iconic songs that Ramarajan was gifted with Smile

#967 kAlai nEra rAgamE (KSC solo, rAsAvE unnai nambi)
Very popular those days, even outside TN. Heard it 100's of times on radio / buses

#968 kammAkkarai oRam (KSC-MV duet, rAsAvE unnai nambi)
Another patti-thotti popular song from that grAmarAjan movie

I'm taking liberty to "not-have-a-poll" for the KH-Amala starrer Sathya & still eliminate two songs from that album as not hits Embarassed (Hopefully, TN-ers will agree).  That way, there were only two hits from that album

#969 vaLaiyOsai kalakala (LM-SPB duet, sathyA)
There had been enough posts / discussions / appreciations on this song over the years! Evergreen, fantastic hit!

#970 pOttA padiyudhu padiyudhu (KH-Sundarrajan-Saibaba, sathyA)
Though not as popular as the vaLaiyOsai song, this can be called a hit due to the # of times one heard it involuntarily Wink

It there's anyone who very strongly feels that the other two songs from sathyA were also hits (nagaru nagaru & ingEyum angEyum, songs I've hardly heard), please provide some justification!.

The next album (sheNbagamE sheNbagamE) has to be polled - though I'm familiar with a couple and also know those were popular, not sure about the rest of the songs!

veLuthu kattikadA yen thambi [Title Song] ilaiyaRaaja
vAsalilE poosanipoo vachchuputtA S.P.Balasubramaniam / S.Janaki
manja podi thEikkaiyilE S.P.Balasubramaniam
sAmy yen thAlikodi K.S.Chithra
karagAttam [then pazhani ANdavanE] Malaysia Vasudevan / S.Janaki / Chorus
pathinARu vayasu vanthu mayilE mayilE Malaysia Vasudevan / Gangai Amaran / Sundarajan / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 31 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19 ... 31  Next