Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai

+9
counterpoint
Wizzy
crimson king
Usha
kv
V_S
Drunkenmunk
app_engine
sagi
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai

Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai Vote_lcap0%Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai Vote_lcap0%Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai Vote_lcap20%Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 2 ]
Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai Vote_lcap30%Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 3 ]
Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai Vote_lcap10%Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 1 ]
Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai Vote_lcap10%Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 1 ]
Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai Vote_lcap30%Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 10

Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai Empty Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai

Post  sagi Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:22 pm

As promised, here goes. Now this album is so different from the first two. First two are iconic, supposedly came out during his 'peak' period. And those songs, all of them are popular even today. And most of us will have those songs in our playlist. Now this one is a completely different ball game because:

-This came in a period in which he did not do so many films
-He totally totally lost his #1 position.
-Most of us will probably have 1 or may be 2 songs from this in our playlist.
-Songs are not very popular today but still not forgotten. Played infrequently in FMs/TV AFAIHaveSeen
-The album has Hariharan going bonkers and Raaja fans personally don't have a very good opinion about his singing esp in Raaja songs
-And synth.

So I am interested in hearing your views. Wonder what criterion app_e would pick to judge these songs  Razz 

I personally haven't listened to say, Diana Diana in years. Looking forward to listening to the songs again.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai Empty Re: Best song in Kaadhal Kavithai

Post  app_engine Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:23 pm

Nerd wrote: Wonder what criterion app_e would pick to judge these songs  Razz 

Laughing

This album was a hot topic in tfmpage.forum when it arrived.

I wasn't much into IR's new albums of that time period but that discussion made me search and buy the album at that time Smile

I'll try to get on with the same metrics Embarassed but don't know how these songs will fare....however, I know which song I'll vote for Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:22 pm

Conflicted between Hey Konji Pesu, Thathom and Diana Diana and finally settled with Diana. The wind instruments (especially sax which settles in with a soft jazzy feel for the evening/night setting in the picturization of London and creates a simply lovely ambience), orch, chorus with the tune is dope. சும்மா சொல்லக் கூடாது, இன்ப தேன் வந்து பாயுது காதினிலே. Album overall is among his lesser albums in my books and I am not especially fond of Hurry ji's rendition in the other 2 songs. But these 3 songs I totally dig and Diana is the shiz in the album for me.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:47 pm

DM,
Did you listen to aaLaana naaL mudhala? This is what I love about this soundtrack. All breezy western-based songs and one hard-core naattuppura paadal. Can anyone even think in these lines?

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:17 pm

V_S wrote:DM,
Did you listen to aaLaana naaL mudhala? This is what I love about this soundtrack. All breezy western-based songs and one hard-core naattuppura paadal. Can anyone even think in these lines?
Ya heard. Not as often as Diana. It is a very fine song and semma kuthu but somehow feel it as being unremarkable compared to the class of kuthu from say a Veerathaalaattu Smile
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:20 pm

Links to listen to this album (preferably audio-only) in good quality, please.
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:24 pm

kv wrote:Links to listen to this album (preferably audio-only) in good quality, please.
You will have mail shortly.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:26 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:
V_S wrote:DM,
Ya heard. Not as often as Diana. It is a very fine song and semma kuthu but somehow feel it as being unremarkable compared to the class of kuthu from say a Veerathaalaattu Smile
Also, Thathom is a very unconventional song. Ila Arun's Tamil spoils it a little but the swing and kuthu is remarkable there imo. Just prefer it personally to Aalaana Naal Mudhala Smile
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:44 pm

My vote for Kadhal meedhu

enna oru orchestration.. enna oru instrumentation....... Haunting tune........ love a lot.............

aduthu.... Hey konji pesu kobam enna kannama........... 

indha 2 paatum..... Non stop aga kaetu kondae irupen...................... en paiyanukum pidikum.......

naan kaeka arambitha mudhal.. indha 2 paataiyum............

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:28 pm

The only song I have in my current playlist is காதல் மீதிலொரு which I am thinking is my most favorite. There has to be a reason why I chose this one ahead of the others. Going to listen to the rest now. But I think except may be manasa thotta, all others are strong contenders. In a way this poll is more difficult than the others  Razz

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:36 am

OK, kadamai uNarchchi vasappadal Laughing

youtube linksu:

kAdhal meedhiloru kAdhal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbaBoqKl0ps

Diana Diana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=774tOXhZX4g

ALAna nAl mudhalA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZksXopWWuE

thaththOm thakadheemi thOm thOm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npSvcBpKELU

manasaththotta kAdhal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq5BKzso2Ek

hEy konjippEsu (title song)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsHEHNZozSY

alai meedhu (@ 8th min of this):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyBsGfG9BXs

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:34 am

Like a few songs fairly well on this album but not overwhelmed by any one particular track.  Hence, opening Alai Meethu's account.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Was this album a "hit" in TN? (Me was not living in TN at that time ; also, started indulging in tfmpage already, always clouded by HCIRF's - so no way of ascertaining the "true popularity" status)...

In any case, absolutely zero personal emotional connect with any of the songs Embarassed
(If anything, the picturization can only push in the negative direction...)

Someone please tell me how the TN public viewed these at the time of arrival...

Last edited by app_engine on Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:15 am

Certainly a hit app. I already mentioned that the songs were played everywhere at the time of release. IR just gave his come back ( Laughing ) hit in Kaadhalukku Mariyaadhai late Dec'97. And after that I think Dharma and  desiya geetham came out which were  semi-hits. And there were expectations around this movie and music. Agathian had 3 critical successes prior to this film. Album was generally well received (I did not know about TFM page then).

Btw check out this link. The last line esp Laughing http://www.indolink.com/tamil/cinema/Music/Reviews/98/Kaadhal_Kavidhai_19231.html

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:47 am

Agathian was flying high around that time with KB anointing him as his Kalai-Varisu..Agathian fell into that hype
and went onto hindi with remakes of his classics only to phail spectacularly.

Kadhal Kavithai is the best out of Agathian works though nothing really sticks other than titles and climax.
Konji pesu is my pick.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:28 am

what was the point in choosing a soundtrack like this for an opinion poll on best song, in the first place? Iam curious. The soundtrack as a whole is nothing great and I dont see anything unique/controversial or otherwise discussionowrthy(even for non-musical reasons). If the intention was to pick something from the late 90s when IR was not at his peak but yet the songs were good, then Poonthottam might have been a better soundtrack to discuss in my opinion. 

Tune + orchestration- alai meedhu was good, but spoiled by the rendition.

Other Hari-songs, both the tunes, and orches was'nt that great. At that time Karthik Raja was widely accused of bringing in the synth into songs too much in his dad's songs, not sure how true this was. So if  a song's ludes did not make an impact immediately Karthik was blamed. And Hariharan's songs for Deva such as "oru mani adithaal kanne un gnyabagam" etc. were compared with Diana Diana and the former was a bigger hit I think. Dark times for IR fans.

If I were to really pick one from this soundtrack it is the title song-hey konji pesu. Too bad it was'nt even picturized, but maybe that was good since picturization could have ended up putting us off further. Good tune, singing and I just love the way the male chorus is deployed to end the song "kannamma..Oh kannamma..".

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:50 pm

^Poonthottam better than Kadhal Kavithai is just an opinion. And you calling this soundtrack isnt great is another. I only have 2-3 songs from both the films in my playlist and I could not pick one over the other. The reason I picked this one was (apart from the ones you mentioned) this was a superhit at the time of its release. Poonthottam was not. Also if you feel there is nothing to discuss on the songs, fair enough, point taken.

I only listen to Kaadhal Meethu often. Replace the synth chords with real piano, the violin stokes with real violins and the brass parts played live. It would have been one hell of a song.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:48 am

There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from opening a thread for an album of their choice. All are welcome. 

I love Poonthottam too probably a shade over kaathal kavithai. Would be happy to see someone opening a thread for it and discussing the songs.

As for the insinuation - asserted firmly patronsingly and faux-factually - that IR was not really at his peak in late 90s and if we really stretch it we could appreciate a few songs well I'll let that pass. 

Are we suggesting that we have to NECESSARILY all agree that late 90s IR is just okay-shokay and that "Poonthottam IS AND WAS better than Kaathal Kavithai; period. Any other opinion is sullied by fanboyness"? I hope not. (I think not too but it is not obvious from the tone of the post)

If anyone is forcing their opinion on others it is not Nerd or anyone talking about Kaathal Kavithai here

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:53 pm

I am not at all  questioning Nerd's or anybody's right to open a thread on Kaadhal kavidhai. Was just wondering about the choice of this particular soundtrack. The reason was not obvious to me reading the earlier posts. If somebody opens such a thread for a soundtrack like Agni natchathiram or payanangal mudivathillai, the reasons are obvious, it doesnt need any explaining. If I remember right, this was not a blockbuster or anything, just a mild hit at best. IR's biggest hit in the late 90s was probably kaadhalukku mariyaadhai. And for critical merit too, it doesnt rank all that high. So it seemed like just another decent soundtrack to me, nothing more.

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:50 pm

This should be a really "objective" exercise for me, thanks to no emotional connection or favouritism (though the mild aversion to HH could affect the prospect of some songs)...

The problem in getting the metrics is I'll have to invest time to listen to ALL the songs, at least a couple of times...and I'll have to "push" myself to do that Embarassed

Which is not nice feeling for a rAsA album Embarassed

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Sorry to have put you all through this ordeal. I don't think this album is great as well, but still, I thought there will be some takers for this. And they could explain the greatness or whatever.

Next time I choose an album, I will make sure that either the album was a superhit or the songs are great (at least in my opinion) or both.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:28 pm

Please don't conclude anything just because there were not much takers. Please give me sometime, I will certainly explain what this soundtrack is all about. This one is such a beautiful soundtrack. I see some posts/views/comments that a song/soundtrack has to be a hit for it to become a good/best song/soundtrack, otherwise it becomes a decent/average song/soundtrack. Since this soundtrack was not a big hit, does it automatically become a decent soundtrack? I don't think so, especially on IR soundtracks. I will explain.

Nerd and all, please don't fall prey to hits and decide IR songs as the best/average. My humble request. This poll is a great idea, but let us not restrict it for only popular soundtracks (just because we will have good participation), we can also introduce some non-popular ones too giving everyone an opportunity to listen and decide.

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:45 am

V_S wrote:

Nerd and all, please don't fall prey to hits and decide IR songs as the best/average. My humble request. This poll is a great idea, but let us not restrict it for only popular soundtracks (just because we will have good participation), we can also introduce some non-popular ones too giving everyone an opportunity to listen and decide.

+1 V_S.....

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:01 pm

V_S wrote:Nerd and all, please don't fall prey to hits and decide IR songs as the best/average. My humble request. This poll is a great idea, but let us not restrict it for only popular soundtracks (just because we will have good participation), we can also introduce some non-popular ones too giving everyone an opportunity to listen and decide.
Agree. Though I cannot say I found every song up to my liking, I rediscovered Thathom and discovered Konji Pesu. Finding them lovely.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:54 pm

Nerd and all, please don't fall prey to hits and decide IR songs as the best/average.
I did not mean that at all.

I wanted this to be a fun exercise for one and all. And I really wanted to bring in popular soundtracks first and then slowly get into the rare territory as I mentioned earlier.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next