Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raja & Rajan (Vaalee = Sriranga Ranga "Rajan")

2 posters

Go down

Raja & Rajan (Vaalee = Sriranga Ranga "Rajan") Empty Raja & Rajan (Vaalee = Sriranga Ranga "Rajan")

Post  app_engine Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:28 pm

Perhaps the numerically top share kavingar among IR's hits is Srirangam Rangarajan. (Not writer Sujatha but kavingar Vaali, both had same name and hailed from same place).

With GA & VM threads taking a decent share of my free time, this is ahalakkAl. However, within a few pages, I want to quickly capture the list of hit songs from this combo (without much detailed posts) to compare against the output of other kavingars with rAsA.

Such numbers / details are necessary for any statistical review and comparison IMHO...participation of forumers (both by quantity & quality) is welcome Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Raja & Rajan (Vaalee = Sriranga Ranga "Rajan") Empty Re: Raja & Rajan (Vaalee = Sriranga Ranga "Rajan")

Post  app_engine Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:41 pm

Would like to proceed chronologically...so, 1976 to start with.

annakkiLi didn't have Vaalee (all by Panju sir)...OTOH, badhrakALi was a 100% Vaalee show Smile

#1 kaNNan oru kaikkuzhandhai (KJY/PS)

-melody, romance, sophi, classic

#2 kEttELE ingE adhap pAththELA angE? (PS)

-fun song, call it "kuththu" if you want

#3 oththa roovA onakkuththArEn (MV/SJ)

-themmAngu / folk

Great, successful start to a combo that is to last for decades! We should also pay attention to the wide variety this combo provided thru the years...

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Raja & Rajan (Vaalee = Sriranga Ranga "Rajan") Empty Re: Raja & Rajan (Vaalee = Sriranga Ranga "Rajan")

Post  app_engine Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:57 pm

Would like to stress once again that the "hit" qualification is based on my already established parameters and those will be as objective as possible and will definitely be impartially applied to IR-V / IR-GA / IR-VM / IR-PA and any other such combo.

The idea is to apply similar specs and establish a balanced perspective of the contribution of lyricists in IR's career. (Though I'm biased heavily that IR was the main contributor to his hits, I assure that my "pheeling" will not cloud these lyricist threads and the respective kavingar will be given primary spot in the threads).

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:21 pm

Let me continue to capture what can be authenticated from available vinyl covers first. We'll worry about others later on.

That way, nothing more available crediting Vaali for 1976 & 1977, other than bathrakALi. (There must have been songs in 1977, can possibly look at the movie titles, but we'll do that exercise later on).

Moving on to 1978...

chittukkuruvi - all songs were patti-thotti hits, another 100% Vaali album!

#4 adadada mAmarakkiLiyE onna innum nAn maRakkaliyE (SJ)

-lovely themmAngu, folksy

#5 en kaNmaNi un kAdhali (SPB-PS)

-the line-interspersing attempted was quite novel!

#6 kAverikkara Oraththila / ponnula ponnula paNNuna mookkuththi (SPB)

-what a terrific themmangu, one that runs like a kAttARu!

#7 onna nambi neththiyilE pottu vachchEn maththiyilE (PS)

-soft folk melody that has a mild tinge of sOgam

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:31 pm

iLamai oonjalAdukiRadhu was another 100% Vaali album, first Sridhar movie with rAsA. The musicalaya vinyl cover has only four songs but the movie titles show no other kavingar and hence the fifth number too can automatically be credited to Rajan...I've posted many times that this was perhaps the first "bus-cast" trend-setter album!

#8 thaNNee karuththiruchchu (MV)

-what a terrific folk song, patti-thotti muNumuNuppu!

#9 ennadi meenAtchi sonnadhu ennAchchi (SPB)

-western, trendy

#10 orE nAL unai nAn nilAvil pArththadhu (SPB-VJ)

-melodious romance duet, evergreen, nostalgic

Well, so fast we're into double digits :-)

#11 kiNNaththil thEn vadiththu kaigaLil EndhugiREn (KJY-SJ)

-funny to see Vaali translating "madhu" into "thEn" Laughing

#12 nee kEttAl nAN mAtten enRA solvEn kaNNA (VJ)

-kuRumbu lines to a fast paced melody

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:39 pm

The first song that Vaali wrote for a Bharathiraja film was for the film sigappu rOjAkkaL (BR's third movie)...

#13 ninaivO oru paRavai, virikkum athan siRagai (Kamal / SJ)

-Lovely lines for a romantic melodious duet, some nice word play too (adhuvallavO parugAtha thEN, adhai innum nee parugAthadhEn?)

I think if one sits and analyzes all the sweet lines that Vaali wrote for rAsA, time kattuppadi AgAdhu Embarassed

I can only do this rapid-listing, to complete stats and we can later on take up some kavidhai analysis...

Vinyl covers for 1978 done Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:56 pm

Moving on to 1979, azhagE unnai ArAdhikkiREn has to be listed first. The big musical directed by Sridhar had 100% Vaali lyrics...

There are seven songs but I can vouch for 6 as big hits (the 7th one is familiar to me but I didn't hear that often during the arrival of the album, so discounting it for this exercise).

#14 nAnE nAnA yArO dhAnA mella mella mARinEnA (VJ)

-Beautiful lines for a stylish melody

#15 abhishEga nEraththil ambALai dharisikka adiyEn koduththu vachchEn (SPB)

-kuRumbO kuRumbo by this youththu kavingar

#16 en kalyANa vaibOgam unnOdu dhAn (VJ)

-traditional style song, "ladieskku pidikkum sAr" kind of lines

#17 kuRinji malaril vazhindha rasaththai uRinjaththudikkum (SPB-VJ)

-free flowing lines to a stream-like melody, what a smooth-sync!

#18 hEy masthAna (SPB-VJ-PJ-Jency)

-trendy, youthful lines for a stylish song

#19 azhagE unnai ArAdhanai seygiREn (PJ)

-short but sweet song ... may be Vaali influenced the movie's title too Smile

The discounted song "thanimaiyil yArivaL" (VJ) is a terrific number too, listen to it at thiraippAdal: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0372'&lang=en

Last edited by app_engine on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:08 am

kadavul amaiththa mEdai not only had all songs written by Vaali but he did the screenplay-dialog for the movie too, as per the titles in the link. (I had to look at the titles because the vinyl info is incomplete, it doesn't list the only song PBS sung for rAsA Embarassed )

This movie takes us to the twenties of the IR-Vaali hit list Smile

#20 mayilE mayilE un thOgai engE (SPB-SJ)

-sweet lines for a lovely romantic hamsadvani duet (someone reminded the video of the song in twitter recently, Raja & Rajan (Vaalee = Sriranga Ranga "Rajan") 3325497835stuff)

I'm discounting the other songs of the movie from this hit list because of their limited popularity. (thenRalE nee pEsu by PBS was heard a few times on radio and so was the hEy thaNNee song, the FIRST duet of the IR-SJ terrific combo. Both songs are my personal favourites, however!)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:34 am

Looks like the available vinyl covers have only two more for the 70's and both are from nAn vAzha vaippEn - the NT / Rajini film.

#21 AgAyam mElE bAthALam keezhE Anandha ulagam naduvinilE (KJY)

-stylish themmAngu with some carefree attitude invoking lyrics

#22 ennOdu pAdungaL nalvAzhththuppAdalkaL (SPB)

-simple but catchy lines for a soft melody (that 'wish you many more' business is not preferable to me, though Embarassed )

We're done with the 70's as far as available vinyl covers are concerned. There has to be a few more Vaali hits but we have plenty to cover before digging that way Smile

(OTOH, I'll do all the digging in the VM thread because there's a necessity there...that of dispelling a myth Smile )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  thiruvizha Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:25 am

app_engine wrote:(OTOH, I'll do all the digging in the VM thread because there's a necessity there...that of dispelling a myth Smile )
rotfl rotfl

thiruvizha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:23 pm

Moving on to 1980, which is not really a big year for the R-R combo (as per the handful of vinyl covers we have)...

Devar films anbukku nAn adimai (Rajini-Rathi) had Vaali as the sole lyricist and three songs were patti-thotti hits...

#23 kAttil oru singakkuttiyAm (SPB)

-story telling genre

#24 onROdu onRAnOm anbOdu (PS)

-thAlAttu like melody but a love song actually

#25 kAththOdu poo orasa, poova vaNdorasa unnOdu nAn ennOdu nee poovA kAththA orasa? (SPB-PS)

-sweet duet that was in IR brand "POP" format Smile

Hey, we've already scored quarter century!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:13 am

One of the biggest by Vaali, eulogizing IR...

nizhalgaL

#26 madai thiRandhu thAvum nadhiyalai nAn

Need I say more?

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:16 pm

It's quite interesting to see that there are not many Vaali hits with IR in 1980 Smile

I'll have to move to 1981 Shocked

(I've seen thru all the vinyl covers we have...there are some missing, like 'Ayiram vAsal idhayam' 'nadhiyaith thEdi vandha kadal' that had hit songs but no Vaali name could be found searching for those on the web. BTW, I found another addition to GA's kitty from a dhool Saravanan article - 'thavikkudhu thayangudhu oru manasu')...

Devar films RAm LatchumaN had 3 hits for Vaali :

#27 vizhiyil un vizhiyil oru poo pooththadhO? (SPB-PS)

- Standard romantic duet

#28 nadakkattum rAjA namma rAjjiyam (SPB)

- Nicely balanced the animal-song + heroism requirements to come up with non-irritating lines

#29 nAn dhAngoppandA nalla muththuththEvandA (SPB)

-fast paced themmAngu with a roller coaster of words

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:22 pm

1981 too seems to be a lean year for the IR-Vaali combo (more songs done by GA / PA, even Kannadasan had written more numbers this year as per vinyls)...

vidiyum varai kAthiru is another 100% Vaali movie, with two songs becoming hit.

#30 pEsu en anbE un anbai (SPB/SPS/BSS)

- Nice balance of love-duet + the mystery, also mildly showcasing the villainy nature of the protagonist

#31 neengAdha eNNam onRu nenjOdu uNdu (MV/SJ)

-Standard love duet with smooth lines

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed May 08, 2013 4:52 pm

Based on the recent arrival of vinyl pic of 'sAyndhAdammA sAyndhAdu', we have

#32 oru kAdhal dEvadhai (SPB-PS)

- what a lovely duet!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:06 pm

Vaali in hospital

தன்னை வளர்த்து விட்டவர்கள், வாழ்க்கை தந்தவர்கள் அனைவரிடத்திலும் இன்று வரை நன்றி பாராட்டுவதில் வாலிக்கு இணையாக ஒருவரையும் சொல்ல முடியாது. இதனால் திரையுலகில் அனைவருக்கும் இனியவராக வாலி திகழ்கிறார்.

காலையில் இளையராஜாவிடம் பாட்டெழுதும் அவர், மாலையில் ரஹ்மானுக்கும் பாட்டெழுதுவார். இருவருமே அவர் மீது அன்பைப் பொழிபவர்கள் என்பது குறிப்பிடத்தக்கது.

சில ஆண்டுகளுக்கு முன் கவிஞர் வாலிக்கு இருதய அறுவைச் சிகிச்சை செய்து மறுபிறவி எடுத்து வந்தார். அவ்வப்போது உடல்நலக் குறைவால் அவதிப்பட்டு வந்த அவருக்கு, மூன்று தினங்களுக்கு முன் மூச்சுத் திணறல் ஏற்பட்டது. உடனே அப்பல்லோ மருத்துவமனையில் அவர் சேர்க்கப்பட்டார்.

தீவிர சிகிச்சைப் பிரிவில் வைத்து அவருக்கு சிகிச்சை அளிக்கப்பட்டு வருகிறது. உடல் நிலையில் முன்னேற்றம் தெரிந்தாலும், அவர் இன்னும் பூரண குணமடையவில்லை என்று மருத்துவமனை வட்டாரங்கள் தெரிவிக்கின்றன.

வாலியின் உடல் நிலைக் குறித்து கேள்விப்பட்டதும் திரையுலகினர் அதிர்ச்சி அடைந்தனர். அவர் நலம் பெற பலரும் பிரார்த்தனை செய்து வருகின்றனர்.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:07 pm

Very sad news

தீவிர சிகிச்சை பிரிவில் சிகிச்சை பெற்று வந்த கவிஞர் வாலி(82) சிகிச்சை பலனின்றி இன்று மாலை உயிரிழந்தார்.
Sad

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:12 pm

அம்மா என்றழைக்காத உயிரில்லையே
(மன்னன்)

Nice song in the combo of Vaali & rAsA

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down