Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed)

+20
D22_Malar
Sakalakala Vallavar
baroque
crimson king
rajkumarc
fring151
olichudar
Drunkenmunk
Punnaimaran
jaiganesh
Wizzy
sagi
kiru
al_gates
plum
V_S
sheepChase
Usha
app_engine
24 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) - Page 9 Empty Re: Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed)

Post  app_engine Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:29 am

#90 pOttEnE poo vilangu anbAlE nee adangu (SJ, poo vilangu)

At last, one normal song on-screen from this movie:

VM at last gets some tolerable pallavi lines (but shocks in the first line of first saranam, SJ kind of softens it with some "muffler"):

போட்டேனே பூவிலங்கு அன்பாலே நீ அடங்கு
(இந்தப்) பெண்மையின் ஆணையை மீறாதே
(என்) கண்களைக்கடந்து போகாதே போகாதே

மலையைப் பிழியும் ஆண்மை தான் Shocked
மறுக்கவில்லை உண்மை தான்
தாண்ட முடிந்தால் தாண்டு இது உன் சீதை கிழித்த கோடு தான்
இன்றோடு மாறி விடு என் காதல் மன்னவா
என் நெஞ்சின் ஆசைகளை உன் காதில் சொல்லவா
கை சேர்த்தால் அந்தக்கோபம் ஆறிப்போகும் வா

ஆளைக்கொல்லும் திமிங்கிலம்
நூலில் தானே அகப்படும்
அன்பு என்னும் பிடியினுள்ளே மலையும் கூட வசப்படும்
கண்ணோரம் காதலிசை இந்நேரம் பாடுவேன்
கையோடு பூவிலங்கு எந்நாளும் போடுவேன்
கண்ணாளா உன்னை ஆளும் தாலி நான் செய்வேன்

Anyways, average stuff for a typical cinema romance Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) - Page 9 Empty Re: Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed)

Post  fring151 Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:47 am

app_engine wrote:
fring151 wrote:it is amazing to note that much of VM's poetry and in fact TFM poetry in general is quite repetitive
Very true!

Unfortunately, instead of placing the blame on the mediocre lyricists, people tend to slap that on rAsA ("he arm twisted, forced to write for mettu" etc).

Some even resort to stupidity about rAsA sidelining VM resulting in loss of kwality Laughing

They should honestly examine this thread for all the lines VM wrote for some of the top-class compositions in the 80's Embarassed

Also, what great poetry did he do AFTER rAsA made his exit from the top spot? Nothing but rubbish "olive eNNey thEyththu" & "50 kg tAj mahal" kinds. Plus some funny and extraordinary claims for occasional 'Ambal' 'mouvval' business as "grand-re-entry-of-poetic-ancient-vocabulary" Laughing

Then there's this strange claim that "people don't like classic Thamizh lines" and practially totally killing that semi-classical genre from TFM Sad

That such claims are total fraud can be established by the simple fact of karNan getting a dream run in TN. Or, such claimers should be redirected to this youtube (watch from 24th minute and see how much emotion / feel / cries / praises etc):

Lyricists such as Vaali & VM failed to use the available grand vocabulary of Thamizh (while their other language contemporaries excelled, for e.g. in Malayalam! I'll have to restart kunnaththE in the IR's MFM thread, but whatever few pages done in that thread so far already showcase the tremendous standard gap between both fields in lyrical quality)!
Agreed! When I first heard "Olive eNNey theythu", because of its unseemly appearance there and incoherent pronunciation, I actually heard it as "Olly-Vennai" and for a long time had no cllue what "Olly" was supposed to mean and wondered what kind of bizarre fetish it was to get butter smeared over one's body.

Glad that Mallu poetry is better as far as film music goes. Unfortunately, I am incapable of appreciating it. Neutral

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:11 am

fring151 wrote:Agreed! When I first heard "Olive eNNey theythu", because of its unseemly appearance there and incoherent pronunciation, I actually heard it as "Olly-Vennai" and for a long time had no cllue what "Olly" was supposed to mean and wondered what kind of bizarre fetish it was to get butter smeared over one's body.
LOL We live in the days where an "avaL paadham kazhuvum neeril samayal seivAn" and a "dEvadhai kuLiththa thuLigalai aLLi theertham enRE naan kudippEn" qualifies as poetry. solradhukku oNNumE illeengO.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:13 pm

fring151 wrote:
Glad that Mallu poetry is better as far as film music goes. Unfortunately, I am incapable of appreciating it. Neutral
Resources in our forum to help you Wink

1. To learn Mal alphabets, using vinyl cover pics (completed):
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t93-learn-to-read-malayalam-using-vinyl-lp-record-covers-and-such-movie-based-resources

2. Weekly Malayalam language lessons (in progress):
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t124-learn-malayalam-beyond-basic-reading-lesson-3-building-sentences-word-count-30

3. IR & MFM (translations / interpretations etc of IR's MF songs ; the detailed translation of 'Adhi ushus' of pazhassi rAjA got done there, I've even done my version of Thamizh translation of the song there Laughing ):
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t111-ir-mfm

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:20 pm

#91 kAlam mARalAm nam kAdhal mARumA (vAzhkkai, SPB-VJ)

When I featured this song in the SPB-IR thread, I wasn't aware if NT were there on screen or not. Didn't have the courage to check that video then. Unfortunately, I looked at the same today ("yAm petRa inbam" to the forum'ers below):

Yes, ambi chEchi dance rotfl2 

VM did some adakki vAsikkal, if one looks at the lines (may be for NT's sake):

காலம் மாறலாம் நம் காதல் மாறுமா
தடைகள் தோன்றும் போதும் தலைவி பார்வை போதும் (தலைவன் பாதம் போதும்)
இனி வரும் காலம் மாறலாம் நம் காதல் மாறுமா

எந்தன் தோளில் நீ சாய்ந்தால் இன்னும் என்ன மௌனமா
புல்லின் மீது பூ வீழ்ந்தால் ஓசையென்ன கேட்குமா
மல்லிகைக்கொடி தோளைச்சுற்றுதே
தேவன் தொட்டதால் பூமி சுற்றுதே
உடலில் காந்தம் கொண்டு தழுவும் தங்கம் ஒன்று
இதழ்களில் ஈரமானதின்று

காலம் என்னும் தேனாற்றில் (பேராற்றில்?) நாமிரண்டு ஓடங்கள்
வாழ்ந்து காட்டும் நம் வாழ்க்கை வையகத்தின் பாடங்கள்
உள்ளங்கைகளால் உன்னை மூடுவேன்
உன்னைக் காக்கவே மண்ணில் வாழுவேன்
வாழும் காலம் யாவும் மடியில் சாய்ந்தால் போதும்
தோள்களில் தூங்கும் பாரிஜாதம்

Of course, he could not live without some key words, such as 'ஈரமான' 'பாரிஜாதம்' & 'காந்தம்...தழுவும் தங்கம்' Smile

AhA, the science teacher had finally got fail mark here Embarassed gOldu and mEgnattu Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:43 pm

app_engine wrote:
fring151 wrote:
Resources in our forum to help you Wink

1. To learn Mal alphabets, using vinyl cover pics (completed):
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t93-learn-to-read-malayalam-using-vinyl-lp-record-covers-and-such-movie-based-resources

2. Weekly Malayalam language lessons (in progress):
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t124-learn-malayalam-beyond-basic-reading-lesson-3-building-sentences-word-count-30

3. IR & MFM (translations / interpretations etc of IR's MF songs ; the detailed translation of 'Adhi ushus' of pazhassi rAjA got done there, I've even done my version of Thamizh translation of the song there Laughing):
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t111-ir-mfm
Thanks a lot App-ji! Will try to read as time permits.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Just now looked at that "காலம் மாறலாம் நம் காதல் மாறுமா" lyrics and found this atricious line :

"புல்லின் மீது பூ வீழ்ந்தால் ஓசையென்ன கேட்குமா"
Shocked

Agreed, the girl can be compared to flower. OTOH, to compare a hero to 'pullu'?

rotfl2

Fortunately for VM, NT fans were probably not in any combatant mode those days (or were quite decent unlike other hero fans) Smile He escaped calling NT as veRum pullu Wink

(It's more deragatory in Malayalam than in Thamizh but here too it's silly)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:35 pm

idha eppidi pAkkaNum naa, NT appovum pullappOla silim aa irundhAr namma Diamondukku Razz
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:51 pm

Drunkenmunk,
Laughing

Well, I've been posting some abrasive stuff today @twitter and the forum...should smoothen now with a real good number in this thread, udambukku adhu dhAn nalladhu...

Next coming "pAdavA un pAdalai?" (NPP)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:55 pm

#92 & #93 pAdavA un pAdalai (Both versions by SJ, nAn pAdum pAdal)

One of my all-time-fav TFM songs! Of course, I like the 'terror' number more than the soft sOga number but this one is not a pushover either. IIRC, the first one that comes in the film narration is the sOga song of this movie - a film that is good for the most part! (I've stated many times in the hub that the Mohan-Ambika love leading to marriage is perhaps one of the best sequences watched in TF Smile

Directed by none other than R Sundarrajan, the director with lovely ears for music)!

Before I post the sOga song's lines, one correction to my post (at the hub) for pAdum vAnampAdi, another song in that movie :

I gave credit to VM for that song there Embarassed
Yet another case of WRONG CREDIT, with VM being the beneficiery Embarassed
(VM wrote only pAdavA in that album - 2 versions ; pAdum vAnampAdi was by nA.KAmarAsan)

Now, let's look at sOgappAdal - mostly terrific lines (excluding the பூகம்பம் & வேட்கை business), with metaphors that suit the soothing melody:

Listen to the song here!

பாடவா உன் பாடலை?
என் கண்ணிலே ஏன் நீரோடை?

தேங்கும் கண்ணீரில் உந்தன் பிம்பம்
பூவின் நெஞ்சில் பூகம்பம்
சுடரோடு எரியாது திரி போன தீபம்
உயிர் போன பின்னாலும் உடல் இங்கு வாழும்
கண்ணீரில் சுகம் காணாதோ மனம்
நீ தந்த மாங்கல்யம் என் ஜென்ம சாபல்யம்

கண்ணா என் நெஞ்சில் காதல் காயம்
ஆறுதல் சொல்லும் ஆகாயம்
புயலோடு போராடும் பூவாகும் வாழ்க்கை
இருந்தாலும் என் நெஞ்சில் ஏன் இந்த வேட்கை
உன் பாதை எங்கே என் பாதம் அங்கே
வளராமல் தேயாமல் வாழ்கின்ற நிலவிங்கே!

That last line - WOW - terrific! What a fitting description to "நடைப்பிணம்"!

With the terror version too, we have suitable lines that ride nicely on the evergreen melody :

பாடவா உன் பாடலை
என் வாழ்விலே ஓர் பொன் வேளை

வாடைப்பூங்காற்று என்னைத்தீண்டும்
வாழ்க்கை யாவும் நீ வேண்டும்
கடலோடு அலை போல உறவாட வேண்டும்
இலை மோதும் மலர் போல எனை மூட வேண்டும்
என் தேகம் எங்கும் உன் கானம் தாங்கும்
நீ வந்து கேளாமல் ஏங்கும் தமிழ்ச்சங்கம்

உன்னைக் காணாமல் கண்கள் பொங்கும்
அதுவே நெஞ்சின் ஆதங்கம்
உனக்காக என் பாடல் அரங்கேறும் வேளை
நீ கேட்க வழி இல்லை இது என்ன லீலை
பூமேகம் இங்கே ஆகாயம் எங்கே?
நீ சென்ற வழி பார்த்து வாடும் உன் பூ இங்கே!

VM can do collar lift for this number!
applause

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:31 am

Requesting to cover Vaanampaadi Koodu ThEdum from ThalaiyaNai Mandhiram. One of Vairamuthu's best songs for Raaja imho. Lovely composition too.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:25 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:Requesting to cover Vaanampaadi Koodu ThEdum from ThalaiyaNai Mandhiram. One of Vairamuthu's best songs for Raaja imho. Lovely composition too.
Yes, it's a lovely composition. Though I don't remember hearing it a lot during the time of its arrival (too many great albums & songs those days and such ones got missed), listening to this in the recent times quite a bit and love the song Smile

I don't even remember how it started Embarassed
(Did you feature in your daily blog?)

Because this wasn't a "hit", I wasn't planning to feature in this thread Embarassed In any case, it's not getting "counted" for statistics Smile

One can listen to the song in this link

From the pAdal varigaL, one can easily guess that it's a "pasumai niRaindha ninaivugaLE" kind of college farewell (or may be school farewell) song:

வானம்பாடி கூடு தேடும் இந்த நேரம் என்ன பாடும்
வந்து இங்கு வாழ்ந்த காலம் கானல் நீரில் காணும் கோலம்
கசிந்து கண்ணீர் வரும்

சோக ராகம் பாடும் நேரம் வார்த்தை இங்கு ஊமையாகும்
பழைய காலம் திரும்புமா வசந்தம் மீண்டும் அரும்புமா
இது ஒரு வேடந்தாங்கல் கலைகிறோம் இன்று நாங்கள்
பாசமே போ போ மனதை மறந்து போ

பாடும் நெஞ்சம் பாரம் ஆகும் ஏங்கும் கண்கள் ஈரமாகும்
உறவு நம்மை இணைத்ததே பிரிவு இன்று அழைத்ததே
முகவரி வாங்கிக்கொண்டோம் முகங்களைத்தாண்டிச்சென்றோம்
விடைபெறும் வேளை வார்த்தை வரவில்லை

Definitely one of those better-written numbers by the kavingar! Aptly pictures the situation, especially the following lines reflect both emotionally and philosophically :

-இது ஒரு வேடந்தாங்கல் கலைகிறோம் இன்று நாங்கள்
-முகவரி வாங்கிக்கொண்டோம் முகங்களைத்தாண்டிச்சென்றோம்
-விடைபெறும் வேளை வார்த்தை வரவில்லை
doublethumbsup

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:38 pm

#94 thAlAttu mARippOnadhE (SJ, unnai nAn sandhiththEn - there's also a "track" version by IR on disk)

Simple lines, catchy melody but the song is loaded with emotions provided primarily by SJ's terrific singing! Of course the interludes add similar emotions and power to the song but IMHO SJ owns this number. This was a big hit when arrived and continues to be an evergreen sOgaththAlAttu! IMO, this kind of strong-emotion-sOga-song becoming extremely popular has almost ceased in today's TFM Embarassed

pAdal varigaL (like I mentioned, quite simple but not irritating, note the 'mAnE / thEnE'):

தாலாட்டு மாறிப்போனதே
என் கண்ணில் தூக்கம் போனதே
பெண் பூவே வந்தாடு என் தோளில் கண் மூடு
என் சொந்தம் நீ

பெண் மானே செந்தேனே யார் என்று பார்க்கிறாய்
உன் சோகம் என் ராகம் ஏன் என்று கேட்கிறாய்
உன் அன்னை நான் தானே என் பிள்ளை நீ தானே
இது போதுமே

கண்ணீரில் சந்தோஷம் நான் இன்று காண்கிறேன்
தாயாக இல்லாமல் தாலாட்டுப்பாடினேன்
என் வாழ்வே உன்னோடு என் தோளில் கண்மூடு
சுகமாய் இரு

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:18 pm

app_engine wrote:I don't even remember how it started Embarassed
(Did you feature in your daily blog?)
Enna ippidi kEttutteenga? Smile

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/2013/08/05/74-as-the-bird-flies/
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:19 pm

app_engine wrote:Definitely one of those better-written numbers by the kavingar! Aptly pictures the situation, especially the following lines reflect both emotionally and philosophically :

-இது ஒரு வேடந்தாங்கல் கலைகிறோம் இன்று நாங்கள்
-முகவரி வாங்கிக்கொண்டோம் முகங்களைத்தாண்டிச்சென்றோம்
-விடைபெறும் வேளை வார்த்தை வரவில்லை
doublethumbsup
Exactly cheers Thanks for unofficially discussing it Wink
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:26 pm

#95 ulagam muzhudhum pazhaiya rAththiri (nooRAvadhu nAL, KJY/VJ)

IR gave a few songs to this pair in that year - hEy I love you / unnaikkANum nEram from unnai nAn sandhiththEn and this one from that famous Manivannan movie.

From time to time we've heard / seen that Manivannan used IR's compositions that were made for others. (sOlai pushpangaLE / thekkuththeru machchAnE are the quintessential examples, that were bought-out from an unreleased oomai veyil for ingEyum oru gangai. Also, all iLamaikkAlangaL songs. And jotheyalli > vizhiyilE in 100vadhu nAL).

IMG, this song must be something similar. As I don't know any equivalent from another language, let me make another wild guess Wink All the three KJY/VJ songs mentioned above, including this VM written song, were possibly from the songs rAsA made for the "only-poojai-but-never-made-MGR-movie" Laughing

While the first two got used by the ADMK MLA in that K Rengaraj directed movie, Manivannan went for this 'ulagam muzhudhum' song in his thriller per my guess Smile This is a typical MGR-era song IMHO.

That way, VM had a relatively tough job of writing for a 70's MGR-styled melody construction (this has nothing to do with carbon dating, purely for fun) and he did a commendable job where the male and female voices keep switching for each word in the saraNam lines!
applause 

Look at the youtube (nothing special there, it was possibly a filler in the movie to show some "normal" scenes before hitting the audience hard with terror):

pAdal varigaL:
உலகம் முழுதும் பழைய ராத்திரி
உனக்கும் எனக்கும் புதிய ராத்திரி
தழுவும் தோள்களில் நழுவும் பூங்கொடி

எப்போதும் இல்லாமல் இருதயம் மேளம் கொட்ட
நான் தொடத்தொட மனசுக்குள் தீம் தரி கிட
பொன்மேனி எங்கெங்கும் வெட்கம் வந்து சேலை கட்ட
நான் மலர்ந்திட ரகசியத்தீ வளர்ந்திட
முத்தம் கொடுத்து முத்துக்குளிக்க வித்தையும் கத்துக்குடுக்க
நான் உன்னைப்பார்க்க நீ என்னைப்பார்க்க
கட்டிப்பிடிக்கும் காதல் சுகத்தில் கட்டில்களும் பூப்பூக்க

கட்டிக் கொண்ட தாமரைகள் காலையிலே கண் விழிக்க
தேன் வடிந்தது அடடட ஏன் விடிந்தது
சங்கீத முத்தங்களை மெல்ல மெல்ல நான் நினைக்க
நீ சிவந்ததும் வானம் கூட ஏன் சிவந்தது
சொர்க்கம் கண்ணிலே தட்டுப்பட்டது தொட்டவுடன் கட்டுப்பட்டது
பூங்காற்றாய் வீசு ஓர் வார்த்தை பேசு
பெண்ணின் மனசு பேச நினைத்தால் மாதம் ஒன்று போதாது

There are of course some VM specialities : வெட்கம் வந்து சேலை கட்ட, ரகசியத்தீ, கட்டில்களும் பூப்பூக்க, சங்கீத முத்தங்களை, தட்டுப்பட்டது / கட்டுப்பட்டது Smile

Enjoyable overall!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:47 pm

#96 kasthuri mAnE kalyANaththEnE (pudhumaippeN, KJY-UR)

We often make fun of "IR-promoted-lyricists" for 'mAnE thEnE' lyrics.

Well, going by the samples we keep getting in this thread, Mr VM too belong to that category Laughing

In any case, VM was also an IR promoted-lyricist, know? Going by the plum songs he got during those years, undoubtedly so! Here is this song, another mAnE-thEnE by VM! (BTW, movie was directed by IR's co-promoter of VM those days, Mr BR).

With the song situation a bed-room one (first night?), VM is happy to spill all kinds of fluids (pAl, thEn, raththam, mazhai). Surprisingly, his favourite, vErvai, is missing in this song Embarassed

Look at the varigaL:

கஸ்தூரி மானே கல்யாணத்தேனே கச்சேரி பாடு வந்து கைத்தாளம் போடு
ஜாதிப்பூவை நெஞ்சோடு நான் (நீ) சேர்த்துச்சூடிப்பார்க்கும் நேரம் இது

கட்டில் ஆடாமல் தொட்டில்கள் ஆடாது கண்ணே வெட்கத்தை விட்டுத் தள்ளு
கன்னம் பூம்பட்டு வெட்கத்தை நீ தொட்டு நெற்றிப் பொட்டொன்று வைத்துக் கொள்ளு
பாலூறும் வாயோரம் பார்த்தாலே வாயூறும் அருந்த நேரஞ்சொல்லு
பெண்மையே பேசுமா? மெளனம் தான் பள்ளியறை மந்திரமா?

ஆஹா பொன் முத்தம் ரத்தத்தில் ஏன் சத்தம் என்னை ஏதேதோ செய்கின்றதே
வானம் சொல்லாமல் மேகங்கள் இல்லாமல் இங்கே தேன்மாரி பெய்கின்றதே
என் தேகம் எங்கெங்கும் ஏதோ ஓர் பொன் மின்னல் நடந்து போகின்றதே
நாணமே போனது! போதுமே, ஆளை விடு ஆடை கொடு!

Those who want to see Pandiyan - Revathy fighting with kosuththollai, watch this youtube:

Last edited by app_engine on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Saar Very Happy now that you say, wasn't Ponmani un veettil sowkyama also referred to VM's oiff's name? Heard arasal burasal talks that VM got back with Mettu Podu in Duet LOL
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:02 pm

app_engine wrote:Those who want to see Pandiyan - Revathy fighting with kosuththollai, watch this youtube:
laugh first night song ku edhukku da ithana female dancers (adhuvum marathu mElayellAm)?
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:47 pm

app_engine wrote:#96 kasthuri mAnE kalyANaththEnE (pudhumaippeN, KJY-UR)

We often make fun of "IR-promoted-lyricists" for 'mAnE thEnE' lyrics.

Well, going by the samples we keep getting in this thread, Mr VM too belong to that category Laughing

In any case, VM was also an IR promoted-lyricist, know? Going by the plum songs he got during those years, undoubtedly so! Here is this song, another mAnE-thEnE by VM! (BTW, movie was directed by IR's co-promoter of VM those days, Mr BR).

With the song situation a bed-room one (first night?), VM is happy to spill all kinds of fluids (pAl, thEn, raththam, mazhai). Surprisingly, his favourite, vErvai, is missing in this song Embarassed

Look at the varigaL:

கஸ்தூரி மானே கல்யாணத்தேனே கச்சேரி பாடு வந்து கைத்தாளம் போடு
ஜாதிப்பூவை நெஞ்சோடு நான் (நீ) சேர்த்துச்சூடிப்பார்க்கும் நேரம் இது

கட்டில் ஆடாமல் தொட்டில்கள் ஆடாது கண்ணே வெட்கத்தை விட்டுத் தள்ளு
கன்னம் பூம்பட்டு வெட்கத்தை நீ தொட்டு நெற்றிப் பொட்டொன்று வைத்துக் கொள்ளு
பாலூறும் வாயோரம் பார்த்தாலே வாயூறும் அருந்த நேரஞ்சொல்லு
பெண்மையே பேசுமா? மெளனம் தான் பள்ளியறை மந்திரமா?

ஆஹா பொன் முத்தம் ரத்தத்தில் ஏன் சத்தம் என்னை ஏதேதோ செய்கின்றதே
வானம் சொல்லாமல் மேகங்கள் இல்லாமல் இங்கே தேன்மாரி பெய்கின்றதே
என் தேகம் எங்கெங்கும் ஏதோ ஓர் பொன் மின்னல் நடந்து போகின்றதே
நாணமே போனது! போதுமே, ஆளை விடு ஆடை கொடு!

Those who want to see Pandiyan - Revathy fighting with kosuththollai, watch this youtube:

The blame lies squarely with the composer, singers and instrumentalists for thwarting the bard's attempt to work in a vErvai. Nowhere else is the debilitating effect of the mettukku pAttu policy more obvious than here. pAl, thEn,raththam, mazhai....the poet was salivating for vErvai, what an absolute travesty and insult to the language that the tune wouldn't accommodate it.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:02 pm

laugh fring151!

Drunkenmunk,
I don't know about that kaNmaNi-ponmaNi thingy, wasn't it by Vaali-KH combo? Doubtful...

However, I wonder if there were some kuRumbu intended in the 'ponmaNi vairangaL minnumE' & 'ponmaNi mEkalai AdudhE' - double reference - in 'indha mAn undhan sondha mAn' (by the GA-IR combo) Wink

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:06 pm

app_engine wrote:I don't know about that kaNmaNi-ponmaNi thingy, wasn't it by Vaali-KH combo? Doubtful...
Vaali dhaan. But knowing IR's propensity to give the first few lines and that they usually are stunners, it is possible. But all speculation and hearsay only. So no need to delve too deeply.

Fring,

LOL
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:35 pm

#97 kAdhal mayakkam (pudhumaippeN, JC-Sunantha)

What a classic, sweet composition by rAsA!

VM starts off with some funny (IMO meaningless) word play. "அன்பே உன் பாதமே சுப்ரபாதம்", to me, is comical. I don't see any connection of foot to either "good morning" (meaning of சுப்ரபாதம்) or the famous MS devotional song with that title. When I posted this on twitter, Sureshji and others mildly defended VM - telling that the girl considers falling on the feet of her husband as her form of worship (similar to a bhakthan reciting சுப்ரபாதம் and thus a small connection between பாதம் & சுப்ரபாதம்).

Well, I signed off telling "இப்படிப்பட்ட அடிமைப்பெண் தான் வைரத்துக்குப் புதுமைப்பெண் போலிருக்கு" Smile

Let's look at the whole set of pAdal varigaL now :

அன்பே உன் பாதமே சுப்ரபாதம்
ஆனந்த சங்கமம் தந்த பாதம்
என் வாழ்வில் வேறேதும் வந்த போதும்
எந்நாளும் உன்பாதம் ரெண்டு போதும்

காதல் மயக்கம் அழகிய கண்கள் துடிக்கும்
இது ஒரு காதல் மயக்கம் அழகிய கண்கள் துடிக்கும்
ஆலிங்கனங்கள் பரவசம் இங்கு அனுமதி இலவசம்
தன்னை மறந்த அனுபவம் ரெண்டு கண்களில் அபிநயம்
தேகம் கொஞ்சம் சிலிர்க்கின்றதே மேகம் போல மிதக்கின்றதே மெழுகாய் உருகும் அழகே

நான் தூங்கும் வேளை கனவுகள் தொல்லை
நான் தூங்கவில்லை கனவுகள் இல்லை
மெய்யா பொய்யா மெய் தான் அய்யா
பாதத்தில் வீழ்ந்த பௌர்ணமியே
மார்பினைத்தீண்டு மார்கழியே
பட்டும் படாமல் தொட்டும் தொடாமல்
என் பெண்மை பின்னோடும் முன்னோடும் நின்றாடும்

கண் வார்த்தை தானே நான் சொல்லும் வேதம்
உன்பேரைச் சொன்னால் ஆயுளும் கூடும்
போதும் கேலி வா வா தேவி
கண்களில் ஒன்று பார்க்கின்றது
உன்னிடம் தேதி கேட்கின்றது
மாலை வழங்கும் நேரம் நெருங்கும்
நான் வந்து பெண் பார்க்க நீ அன்று மண் பார்க்க

Though there is this soththakkadalai "இங்கு அனுமதி இலவசம்", there are some very interesting poem in this song and we got to praise VM for that.

My most fav lines are the first two of first saraNam :

நான் தூங்கும் வேளை கனவுகள் தொல்லை
நான் தூங்கவில்லை கனவுகள் இல்லை
the clap 

This youtube has some extra stuff too (with rAsA BGM):

Last edited by app_engine on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:46 am

looks like another beautiful sudhdha saaveri number wasted on allinagaram minor and kadai film.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:27 am

"VM starts of with some funny (IMO meaningless) word play. "அன்பே உன் பாதமே சுப்ரபாதம்", to me, is comical"

Keep going another couple of years and you'll find "bandham nam bandham endrendrum theeppandham"
BTW, a cousin of mine used to sing
kAla kAlamAga ..kAdhalukku nAngal arppaNam
kAlidasan kamban kooda seyyavillayE dharppaNam

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next