Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed)

+20
D22_Malar
Sakalakala Vallavar
baroque
crimson king
rajkumarc
fring151
olichudar
Drunkenmunk
Punnaimaran
jaiganesh
Wizzy
sagi
kiru
al_gates
plum
V_S
sheepChase
Usha
app_engine
24 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) - Page 8 Empty Re: Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed)

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:16 am

V_S wrote:Parvati Pa-Rameshwarau is way too excellent
The genius of KALidAsAr that is Smile
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) - Page 8 Empty Re: Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed)

Post  fring151 Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:51 am

There was some interesting dialog among Plum-genesis-V_Sji in the SPB-IR thread of pazhaiya veedu, may provide some entertainment if one has some time...
That was a really juicy thread App!Laughing Terrific entertainment indeed. Your college/mess experiences..lol!. And that dialogue (Note, Plum, I didn't say discussion) rotfl2, good stuff.

DrunkenMunk,

Awesome write up. Out of curiosity, I checked the Telugu original's lyrics for Mohanam reference and needless to say it is there! Am not sure how the telugu lyrics translate. I think there is merit to your theory that he meant it as a mischievous inside joke, the song itself being about the mischievous Krishna!

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:48 am

fring151 wrote:Out of curiosity, I checked the Telugu original's lyrics for Mohanam reference and needless to say it is there! Am not sure how the telugu lyrics translate. I think there is merit to your theory that he meant it as a mischievous inside joke, the song itself being about the mischievous Krishna!
Yes yes. I checked the original too before posting this. A very clear case of the musician adding nuances and prising it out from the lyricist. idhu pOla pala edangaLLa eduthu kAttalAm, that Kavidhai KELungal's "nEtru en pAttil sruthiyum vilagiyadhE" at the point of graha bEdham (change of shruti) and so on. Often times, and this may come across as too fanatical and arrogant, I feel the role of other lyricists, save Kannadasan and Vaali, in IR's songs are massively overrated w.r.t Tamil.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:29 pm

nanRi, V_Sji!
I'm not writing a lot on these songs, most of which got covered extensively elsewhere - only making some remarks here and there (apart from posting the whole lyrics, making them the possibly most accurate ones on the whole internet) Smile

fring151,
I had a lot of fun during the whole SPB-IR series (not only writing my "nostology" Laughing but thanks also to a lot of lively exchanges) Smile

When you have time, check out the story starting at song#283 and ending at song#288 along with the interactions there Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:14 pm

#74 geetham, sangeetham (kokkarakkO, SPB + SPS for a couple of repeat lines in the beginning & humming in the end)

That GA directed movie is remembered only by this song today. Doesn't mean it had great / poetic lines. Some typical cinematic lines combed together with a few rhyming words (geetham / vEdham / pAdham, veppam / theppam etc).

However, there are a couple of lines that show the presence of VM :

Female appearance appreciations such as

நடந்து வந்த சோலையோ / உளி வந்து தீண்டாமல் உருவான சிற்பம்

& the naughty

உன்னை நான் கண்டாலே உண்டாகும் வெப்பம் Smile

Overall, it's the sweet melody combined with lovey orch and SPB's sweet voice that made this song evergreen.

Look at the complete pAdal varigaL:

கீதம் சங்கீதம் நீதானே என் காதல் வேதம்
பாதம் உந்தன் பாதம் என்னோடு வந்தாலே போதும் எப்போதும்

வாசமான முல்லையோ வானவில்லின் பிள்ளையோ
பூவில் நெய்த சேலையோ நடந்து வந்த சோலையோ
உன் கண்ணில் நீலங்கள் நான் கண்டு நின்றேன்
ஆகாயம் ரெண்டாக மண் மீது கண்டேன்
காணாத கோலங்கள் என்றேன்

நீளமான கண்களே நீண்டு வந்து தீண்டுதே
பாவை பாதம் பார்க்கவே கூந்தல் இங்கு நீண்டதே
உளி வந்து தீண்டாமல் உருவான சிற்பம்
உன்னை நான் கண்டாலே உண்டாகும் வெப்பம்
நீதானே ஆனந்தத் தெப்பம்

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:07 pm

#75 Mylapore pakkam mayilakkaNdEnE (kokkarakkO, MV)

We don't have the vinyl cover for this movie but our master spreadsheet says VM - so I'm going by that Smile

Why do I say that?

It's otherwise difficult to locate any VM-ism in this song Laughing

Filled mostly with simple, clean lines, this ordinary fun song features some Chennai area names added to mayil / kiLi and their wings. Of course, MV adds to the fun quotient. (If you want Laughing kind of fun, need to watch the boy on the video. pAvam Ilavarasi, supposedly her heroine debut).

pAdal varigaL : can be attributed to any generic TFM kavingar & no +ve or -ve for VM

மயிலாப்பூர் பக்கம் மயிலைக்கண்டேனே
கீழ்ப்பாக்கம் பக்கம் கிளியைக்கண்டேனே
அதைக்கண்டு பிடிக்க இந்த நெஞ்சு துடிக்க
ரெண்டு ரெக்கை கட்டிப்பறந்தேனே

திரு வி க பூங்கா ஓரம் நீ என்னப்பாத்த நேரம்
ஏதேதோ ஆகிப்போச்சம்மா அத விடு அத விடு
கண்ணான காதல் கள்ளி ஒம்பேரச் சொல்லிச்சொல்லி
என்பேரே மறந்து போச்சம்மா அத விடு அத விடு
தேடித்திரியிறேன் தெருவின் ஓரமா
திரைய விலக்கி நீ திறந்து பாரம்மா
சிங்காரக்குயிலே உன் சோடி இங்கே
அடையாளம் சொல்லு உன் கூடு எங்கே?

இன்னைக்கே ஒன்னக்கண்டு முன்னூறு முத்தம் வைப்பேன்
எண்ணிக்கை எண்ணிச்சொல்லம்மா ரகசியம் ரகசியம்
பொன்னான நேரம் பாத்து கையோடு கையச்சேத்து
ஊர்கோலம் நாமும் போகலாம் அதிலென்ன அதிசயம்
உருகிப்பாடுறேன் உனக்குக்கேக்குமா
தெரிஞ்ச தாமரை திரும்பிப்பாக்குமா
செந்தாழம்பூவே ஒரு சேதி கேளு
கல்யாணம் கட்ட ஒரு தேதி கூறு

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:02 pm

#76 oru kiLi urugudhu urimaiyil pazhagudhu (SJ/SPS, Anandhakkummi)

Good old days of buddy-buddy between IR & VM. All the nicer songs of this rAsA produced movie (album recorded in Mumbai, something special those days) were given to VM. There are of course some nice lines in a couple of songs. (We'll appreicate when we encounter them, yes, all hits will get recorded in this thread).

Personally, however, I got so much irritated with the first line of this song due to the 'mainA mainA' :yuck: It's a terrific melody and the song got brilliant orchestration and great recording by prevailing standards, only to have that "mainA mainA" thingy repeat irritatingly Embarassed

Make no mistake, I love that bird! IIRC, I mentioned about the pet of one of my closest friends in some post somewhere. Like "sonnadhai sollumAm kiLippiLLai", this mainA used to do "paRayunnadhai thirichchup paRaiyum" in Malayalam Smile The bird has that same ability like a parrot and it was fascinating to watch. Even otherwise, it's such a beautiful bird.

For some reason, its name 'mainA' sounds so alien to Thamizh. Like 'jiginA' Laughing Accordingly, each time someone calls a girl 'mainA', it brings to my mind some "dance-kAri" image, with jigu-jigA costume and layers of make-up, doing ugly sEshtais Embarassed

Forget my rants, please look at the whole set of pAdal varigaL now :

ஒரு கிளி உருகுது உரிமையில் பழகுது ஓ மைனா மைனா
குறும்புகள் தொடருது அரும்புகள் வளருது ஓ மைனா மைனா
தளிரிது மலரிது தானா இது ஒரு தொடர்கதை தானா
இரு மனம் இணையுது இரு கிளி தழுவுது ஓ மைனா மைனா

நிலவெரியும் இரவுகளில் ஓ மைனா ஓ மைனா
மணல்வெளியில் சடுகுடுதான் ஓ மைனா ஓ மைனா
கிளிஞ்சல்களே உலையரிசி இவளல்லவா இளவரசி
தேனாடும் பூவெல்லாம் பாய் போடும்
ஒரு கிளி மடியினில் ஒரு கிளி உறங்குது ஓ மைனா ஓ மைனா

இலைகளிலும் கிளைகளிலும் ஓ மைனா ஓ மைனா
இரு குயில்கள் பெயரெழுதும் ஓ மைனா ஓ மைனா
வயல்வெளியில் பல கனவை விதைக்கிறதே சிறு பறவை
நீரோடை எங்கெங்கும் பூவாடை
மலர்களின் வெளிகளில் இரு பிறை வளருது ஓ மைனா ஓ மைனா

Another major irritant to me is that "கிளிஞ்சல்களே உலையரிசி இவளல்லவா இளவரசி"
:yuck:

What do they mean here?

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:24 pm

app,
 munnadi varigalai gavanicheengala.

நிலவெரியும் இரவுகளில் ஓ மைனா ஓ மைனா
மணல்வெளியில் சடுகுடுதான் ஓ மைனா ஓ மைனா
கிளிஞ்சல்களே உலையரிசி இவளல்லவா இளவர

manal veiyil... vilaiyadum podhu........ as a girl kid.... samachu sadham senju velaiyatu kandipa velaiyadum.
adhai than VM azhagaga solli irukar...............

kilinjalgalai pottu. arisi nu .. poi poiya velaiyadaradhai than solrar........Embarassed 

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:46 pm

Yes UshakkA, once someone sees the video it kind of makes sense (i.e. that children's playtime angle).

Otherwise, VM wrote thazhuvudhu, madiyil kiLi etc and I used to think about this as another cinematic romance song.

In that context, ulai arisi / iLavarasi did not fit Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:10 pm

#77 thAmaraikkodi tharaiyil vandadheppadi? (SPB, Anandhakkummi)

With an ABBA-esque prelude & one of the greatest 2nd interludes ever in TFM history, this song is an IR-SPB marvel. Did VM do enough justice to such a wonderful composition?

Let us see Smile

The first two lines are definitely quite interesting :

தாமரைக்கொடி தரையில் வந்ததெப்படி?
மல்லிகைக்கொடி உந்தன் மனதில் என்னடி?

Creates a nice situation, one of a confusion in the boy's mind - as to whether the coldness (or "oodal") is over or not Laughing

It's not hard to imagine that the girl was sitting tight only a little while ago (lotus in her own "waters", a poetic expression equivalent to "sitting in one's own ivory tower") but apparently relaxing now, even appearing to be leaning toward the boy. However, he can't be sure as to what is really in her mind.

With that great start, one would think that the boy would continue to try and unravel her mind, probing as to what she's really thinking - what's running in her mind - is it one of pachchaikkodi or still in danger zone etc.

Alas, VM doesn't want to build upon such a great start but nosedives to T Rajendar mode of lousiness almost immediately Sad  The next two lines of pallavi are typical "uyiruLLavari ushA" kind of mirattal mode!

The whole first stanza is another "oru thalai rAgam" stuff + mild boasting as mannan-kaNnan-arjunan kacha muchA ; one of total irritation to me!

One has to wait till the second stanza to look for some kind of "mind-reading-of-girl" by the boy, though not really poetic or brilliant but low-class-hotchpotch-job:

தாமரைக்கொடி தரையில் வந்ததெப்படி?
மல்லிகைக்கொடி உந்தன் மனதில் என்னடி?
உனை நாடி வாடினேன் சுவரேறி ஓடினேன்
பலன் இல்லை என்பதால் இன்று பாதை மாறினேன்

காலை வேளை ஒரு கனவு வந்ததடி உருகினேன்
பாடநூலில் தினம் 'செல்வி துணை' என்று எழுதினேன்
வீட்டுப் பூனை நான் வேங்கை போலவே மாறினேன்
நேரம் வந்ததடி நானும் எல்லைகளை மீறினேன்
வேலை செய்வதில் நான் காதல் மன்னனே
லீலை செய்வதில் நான் பாதி கண்ணனே
அல்லிராணி அள்ள வா நீ அர்ஜுனன் நானே

மூக்கின்மீது நிறம் மாறிப்போனதடி கோபமோ?
என்னை மீறி ஒரு தந்தி வந்துவிடக்கூடுமோ?
பங்கமுள்ளதில் சொந்தம் கொள்வது பாபமோ?
ஆசை கோபமாய் வேஷம் போடுது ந்யாயமோ?
லோகமெங்குமே பனி தூங்கும் புல்வெளி
பாடி வந்து நீ விளையாடு பைங்கிளி
ஊடல் கொள்ள நேரம் இல்லை வரங்கொடு தோழி!

The youtube suits the mediocre pAdal varigaL:
(If someone wants to listen to the song, look for other sources - one great recording and sweet sounding song, but this youtube audio is horrible)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:52 pm

#78 O veNNilAvE vA Odi vA (SPB/SJ/SPS, Anandhakkummi)

"nilA nilA Odi vA, nillAmal Odi vA" is one of my fav nursery rhymes :oops:The pallavai of this song is a version of that fitted into a rAsA melody ;)Also add some TR-esque nALai / vELai (actually borrowed from an old TF song - 'நாளை இந்த வேளை பார்த்து ஓடி வா நிலா இன்று எந்தன் தலைவன் இல்லை சென்று வா நிலா" PS sweetie, lovely poem that).

However, the lines get much better in the saraNams - some sweet ones there!

The whole song is here (I love the "நிலவே நீயும் தூங்காதே" line, poetic though silly):

ஆனந்தக்கும்மியடி கும்மியடி வானமெல்லாம் கேக்கட்டும்
இந்திரரும் சூரியரும் எட்டி எட்டிப் பாக்கட்டும்
தங்கச்சமுக்காளம் தரையெல்லாம் விரிச்சிருக்க
மதுர மல்லிகப்பூ மண்டபத்தில் இறைச்சிருக்க
முத்து மணித்தோரணங்கள் வீதியெல்லாம் உயிர்த்திருக்க
அன்னங்களும் குடைபிடிக்கும் அலங்கார மேடையிலே
கல்யாணக்குயிலிரண்டு கச்சேரி பாடட்டும்

ஓ வெண்ணிலாவே வா ஓடி வா
நாளை இந்த வேளை எமை நீ காண வா ஓ பால்போல வா

நிலவின் ஜாடை தெரியும் ஓடை அழகே நீயும் நீராடு
மலர்கள் சேர்ந்து மாலை கோர்த்து அடடா நீயும் பூச்சூடு
கதைகள் பேசி கவிகள் பேசி விடியும் வரையில் நீ பாடு
நிலவே நீயும் தூங்காதே

இதமாய்ச் சாய்ந்து இமைகள் மூடு இதுதான் உரிது வேறேது
இறக்கும்போதும் இதுவே போதும் இனிமேல் பிறவி வாராது
காதல் மாலை சூடும் வேளை அழுகை ஏனோ கூடாது
நிலவே நீயும் தூங்காதே

ஆனந்தம்கொண்டு நீங்கள் இன்றுபோல் வாழ்கவே
ஆயிரம் பௌர்ணமிகள் கண்டுதான் வாழ்கவே
ஆவியில் சேர்ந்த காதல் ஆனந்தம் காணவே
ஆகாயம் உள்ளமட்டும் அழியாமல் வாழ்கவே

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:48 pm

#79 oomai nenjin OsaikaL kAdhil kELAdhO (SPB-SJ, Anandhakkummi)

Top class lines by VM, for a change Smile

I really love many lines, including the first line, of this song!

"Aren't my heart's silence unheard to your ears" is so melancholic and sweet!

Actually, if someone sings that to me, my immediate response would be "Oh, NO, it's deafening!" Smile

The song can boast of many such lines, not very common among the VM songs per my observation. I need to specify some of those lovely lines :

-கனவிலேனும் கடிதம் போடு காதல் முல்லையே ("Please, my jasmine, please mail me a love letter at least in dream" - I guess it was a request first of its kind in TFM, please correct me if there were earlier case(s) )

-மூடிவைத்த காதல் இன்று மோசம் போகுமோ? மூடிவைத்த தாழம்பூவில் வாசம் போகுமோ? ("AhA, will my hidden love prove to be futile? No, no - flower won't lose fragrance simply because it's hidden!" What a sweet comparison!)

-மனம் தாங்குமோ? இமை தூங்குமோ? ("Can the heart bear it? Will it even be possible for my eyes to close in slumber?" - What a nice and simple way to portrait the agitated mind, thrown around in the waves of love with no solace!)

-கண்ணே உறங்கு கனவை வழங்கு ("Sleep please, my dear eyes, so I can get my dream!" - what a lovely request, kavidhai! kavidhai!)

The other lines not mentioned here are well-suited to the melody as well and above-average. ( e.g. நீயில்லாமல் நடந்துபோகக் கால்கள் இல்லையே, உன்னை நினைந்தேன் உயிரைச் சுமந்தேன்).

There is this mild mischief - obviously VM couldn't avoid it even in such a tender, melancholic song - "மலராதோ எந்தன் பூவனம்? பெண்மைதானே அதன் காரணம்" Shocked)

ஊமை நெஞ்சின் ஓசைகள் காதில் கேளாதோ?
இந்த ஊமை நெஞ்சின் ஓசைகள் காதில் கேளாதோ?
மனம் தாங்குமோ? இமை தூங்குமோ?

பிரிந்தாய் இன்பத்தேனே வெறுத்தேன் என்னை நானே
எனக்கும் அதுதானே கலக்கம் என்ன மானே?
நீயில்லாமல் நடந்துபோகக் கால்கள் இல்லையே
கனவிலேனும் கடிதம் போடு காதல் முல்லையே
உன்னைக் காணும் அந்த நாள்வரை உறங்காது இந்தத் தாமரை
உன்னை நினைந்தேன் உயிரைச் சுமந்தேன்

தரையோ வெகுதூரம் அலையோ தடுமாறும்
விதியோ விளையாடும் கிளியோ கிளை தேடும்
மூடிவைத்த காதல் இன்று மோசம் போகுமோ?
மூடிவைத்த தாழம்பூவில் வாசம் போகுமோ?
மலராதோ எந்தன் பூவனம்? பெண்மைதானே அதன் காரணம்
கண்ணே உறங்கு கனவை வழங்கு

Good job, VM!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:49 pm

There's one more VM song, sung by IR from Anandhakkummi which was not as popular as the others we've listed so far but had its glory those days (with most people recording it along with the other numbers of this album + radio time)...

#80 thiNdAduthE reNdu kiLiyE (IR, Anandhakkummi)

As usual, rAsA excels in singing this kind of inane thaththuvam genre song Embarassed

Inane IMHO because none of us took such thaththuvams in this song (such as "கண்ணில்லாமக் கண்ணாமூச்சி ஆட்டம்") seriously then Smile

If you look at the lines, you'll agree that they're not that signifcant...neither they have maN vAsanai nor sublime sOgam or thaththuvams - typical VM stuff of throwing in some country vazhakku words here and there (ஒத்தயடிப் பாதையிலே) among otherwise meaningless gibberish...

திண்டாடுதே ரெண்டு கிளியே
கண்ணீரு ஒன்னாச்சேந்து ஆறாப்போகுதே
(இது) என்ன தல விதியோ என்ன விடுகதையோ

மந்தையாடு மாறிப்போனா சந்தையிலே தேடுவேன்
சொந்தமிங்கு மாறிப்போச்சு என்ன சொல்லிப்பாடுவேன்
சிக்கல் உள்ள நூலிலே முடிவெது தெரியலே
ஒத்தயடிப் பாதையிலே சோடி ரெண்டு போகாதே
கட்டளைக்குக் கட்டுப்பட்டால் காதல் இங்கு வாழாதே
கண்ணில்லாமக் கண்ணாமூச்சி ஆட்டம் இங்கே ஆகாதே

மாலை ரெண்டு வாங்கி வந்தேன் மாலைக்கென்ன தோஷமா
மாமானுக்கு நாடகத்தில் ரெண்டும் கெட்ட வேஷமா
விடுகதை யாருக்கு சொல்லி விடு சாமிக்கு
தீராத இந்த வழக்கு அம்பலத்தில் ஏறாது
சொல்லாத காயம் அம்மா சொல்லி இது ஆறாது
கண்ணில்லாமக் கண்ணாமூச்சி ஆட்டம் இங்கே ஆகாது

Also look at the pointless video sincerly uploaded by some HCIRF to youtube:

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:05 pm

Per my statistical analysis (posted earlier in this thread), VM has two more hits from this year 1983. Both from Rama Narayanan movies Wink

Of these, one is a sure thing - from a movie called "thangamadi thangam" - though we don't have vinyl for this, we have the "spreadsheet" that reliably credits him.

That way, let me catalog it first :

#81 aththai maga thangaththu enna mayakkam (MV/PS, thangamadi thangam)

Not a roaring patti-thotti hit but had its own audience (recording centers, buses, radio kind).

Audio link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQzqhPPn4vE

Let me collect the lines here:

அத்த மக தங்கத்துக்கு என்ன மயக்கம்
நித்தம் நித்தம் பசிக்குது நெஞ்சு வரைக்கும்
செம்பகப்பொன் அரும்பே கட்டி வச்ச கரும்பே
தூளி ஆட வா தோளில் ஆட வா

சோடிக்கிளி வேணுமின்னு சொல்லுதடி மாமன் பொண்ணு
கண்ணுக்குள்ள சொணக்கம் கண்டதில்ல உறக்கம் மேனி வாடுதே
காஞ்சு போச்சு கம்பங்கொல்ல தண்ணி பாச்ச நேரம் இல்ல
மேகம் பாத்து இளங்கொடி வதங்குது

ஏ மழத்தண்ணி இல்லாமே ஏன் மாந்தோப்பு வாடுதுன்னே
தண்ணி வந்து பாஞ்சு புட்டா தங்க மாங்கா காய்க்குமுன்னே

தொண்டக்குள்ள விக்குதடி வார்த்தையெல்லாம் திக்குதடி
(துள்ளும் உந்தன்) கொலுசு கொல்லும் எந்தன் மனசு கேக்கவில்லையா
பாள போடும் தென்னம்புள்ள தேதி நேரம் பார்ப்பதில்ல
காலம் வந்தா மயிலுக்கு மழ  வரும்

The words in bracket are just my guess as they are missing in every audio link I could spot on the web.

Though the song is in thAlAttu genre, as usual, VM adds his perverted lines here and there Embarassed

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:20 pm

The last one for that year (1983), which is #82 of this thread, is from manaivi sollE mandhiram, another Rama Narayanan movie.

There were two hits from the movie but there's only 50% chance that any of them got penned by VM. We don't have the vinyl and this is a rare care where our esteemed forumer's spreadsheet lists "Muthulingam / Vairamuthu" for all songs Embarassed

It's possible they have not credited properly on the vinyl / casstte cover, as in the case of 'pOvOmA oorgOlam'. The movie's titles possibly have these two lyricists listed and hence they are placed in our source spreadsheet.

Accordingly, I won't bother listing out the pAdal varigaL (which are not that great anyways). Let me list the two songs and give the 50% credit to VM Smile

mAnE mAnguyilE mAdakkuLam manjappoonkizhangE (MV/SJ, sweet song, possibly Muthulingam's lines)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E2vBw-pl2c

AththAdi athisayam, pAththAlE paravasam (KJY/UR, another sweet song, possibly VM stuff! Why? KB had used the pallavi phrase for his "kadhai-mudinjudhu" movie with ARR music Laughing
Also, parimARal, pasiyARal, pagalilum etc strongly suggest VM Wink )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdDKxyXgJ1k

Thus ends our chronicling of the IR-VM list for 1983!

Will start 1984 ASAP...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:13 pm

I've started working on the 1984-hit-list of IR.

Being another year of prolificity, it should easily hit 100 or so.

As usual, let me get the % by VM and update the overall statistics.

After which, we'll do the catalog business (listing / lyric-ing / appreciating / criticizing etc) Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Congrats on completing 1983 App the clap . Loved reading it. I went back to your IR-SPB thread and thoroughly enjoyed the 1983-86 portion of that too. Looking forward to 84.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:11 pm

A quick look (not a detailed one, i.e. without listening to the songs that do not readily "ring a bell upon reading the first line") gives 100 TFM hits of IR in this year, with VM accounting for a whopping 37%!

There may be minor adjustments after I briefly listen to the remaining 100+ songs and identifying if they can be called hit or not (based on memory recall / historical recall etc).

At least one more day before I can give a reasonably accurate number for 1984 Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Well, while working on the stats, let me continue with the listing exercise as well.

Why? That is because I've written in detail about one exquisite number from this year 1984.

That lovely 'thEr koNdu vandhavan yArenRu solladi thOzhi' by SuseelAmmA!

Let it be the # 83 of this thread Smile

Here is the link to the first post (or page) on that lovely classic, I've got the pAdal varigaL and commented on them too in that thread:
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t23p15-the-ir-ps-thread#938

ஒரு கால் நூற்றாண்டுக்கு முந்தைய தீபாவளிப்பாடல் Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) - Page 8 Icon_smile

மழையோடு இந்தப்பாடலுக்கு வேறொரு உறவும் உண்டு - ஆனால், பொதுவான மழை அல்ல, "உப்பு மழை" ! Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) - Page 8 Icon_wink

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:08 pm

One interesting observation today on the spreadsheet provided by our esteemed forumer which we are currently using as the "raw material" for IR-tracks database.

Of all the 5000+ tracks done by IR in his career so far, VM wrote pAdal varigaL for < 350 songs ONLY. This is coming from one of the most accurate rAsA catalogs in existence today!

And, all those < 350 were not hit songs. By the time I'm done with this thread, we'll have the EXACT count (well, possibly this thread will be the most accurate IR-VM hit list ever)!

Also, among the hits, one has to discount songs without great lines (and thus were hits due to music and not pAdal varigaL)! Though I'm not doing that exercise in this thread (remember plum's comment on 'thAzhampoovE kaNNuRangu'?), serious historians should take that factor into account as well.

ellAm kazhichchu minjuvadhu will not be that many IMHO.

That is, not some quantity that is significant enough to be referred as a great yugam during rAsA's career!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:54 pm

Reg. 'thEr koNdu vandhavan' song, in the PS thread I wrote :

வைரமுத்து என்று நினைக்கிறேன், காரணம் 'உப்பு மழை பெய்கிறதே' Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) - Page 8 Icon_smileகொஞ்சம் கமல் கைவண்ணமும் தெரிகிறது Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) - Page 8 Icon_redface
My comment there about Kamal was clearly short-sighted, as I've realized thru out in this VM thread exercise
Embarassed

Those risque phrases in the first saraNam must clearly be VM's contribution only
Embarassed

For the benefit of sOmbERi joLLu makkaL who won't click the link to go to the PS thread, let me just quote the "vaira varigaL" here :

பொட்டு வைத்தான், பூவைக்கொண்டு சுட்டு வைத்தான்
தொட்டு வைத்தான், பெண்மைக்குள்ளே இட்டு வைத்தான்
என்ன ஒரு வேதனை? பத்து விரல் சோதனை!
தேனாற்றில் பாலோட, நானென்ன வாதாட?
கண் விழித்தால் காலை வேளை காணவில்லையே!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:39 pm

OK, I'm done with the 1984 "hit" analysis Smile

Since I've missed a couple of albums that got released in prior years (but movies released in 1984), I'll include them in this calc - meeNdum oru kAdhal kadhai & mudivalla Arambam. (Otherwise, how to include them at this point of time?)

That way, we're talking about a whopping 44 TF albums from this calendar year that had some 210 songs (both direct & dubbed into TFM). Of these, IR had 107 hits - per my observation! Though it is a very big number - how many MD's can talk about 100+ hit songs in a single calendar year in history? - the percentage can only be called "satisfactory", around 50% of the songs produced.

Not that the not-hits were of less quality but missed the mark due to, say, law of averages Smile

Anyways, now, the question of VM's contribution out of this 107 - 37 of them!
the clap 

So, 34.5% of rAsA's TFM hits got penned by VM in the year 1984. (BTW, VM's hit rate is better than that of other lyricists in the overall scheme of things, about 60% - 37 out of 61).

Let me post the complete hit list in the next post, highlighting the VM-written ones in RED.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:14 pm

1984 IR TFM hit list (RED ones had VM's pAdal varigaL, I have not listed the movies with zero hits)

24 maNi nEram - kuLikkum pOthilE, kalloori mANavarA
alai Osai - neeyA azhaiththadhu
ambigai nEril vandhAL - annai thAlAttuppAda, kalyANachchElai unadhAgum nALai
anbE Odi vA - jOdi nadhigaL, idhazhil amudham, azhagAna pookkaL, kanavOdu Engum
anbuLLa malarE - alai meedhu thadumARudhE
anbuLLa Rajinkanth - muthumaNichchudarE, thAthA thAthA, iLanguyilE, kadavuL uLLamE, thEn poovE poovE vA
dhAvaNi kanavugaL - oru nAyagan, sengamalam sirikkudhu, vAnam niRam mARum, mAmOi mAmOi kaLLukkadai
enakkuL oruvan - mEgam kottattum, thEr koNdu senRavan, muththam pOdhAdhi, engE endhan kAdhali
ezhudhAdha sattangaL - Alangatti mAmazhaiyAm
kai kodukkum kai - kaNNukkuLLE yArO, thAzhampoovE vAsam veesu
kairAsikkAran - nilavonRu kaNdEn, kai veesum thAmarai
kombEri mookkan - rOjA onRu muththam kEtkum nEram
kuvAkuvAvAththukaL - thEnil vadiththa silaiyE
magudi - neelakkuyilE, karattOram moongil kAdu
mudivalla Arambam - thennangeetRum thenRal kAtrum, pAdi vA thenRalE
meeNdum oru kAdhal kadhai - adhikAlai nEramE
my dear kuttichathan - chellakkuzhandhaikaLE, poovAdaikkAtRE
nALai unadhu nAL - veNNilA Odudhu
nAn mahAn alla - ommEla oru kaNNu, kalyANam vaibOgam, mAlai soodum vELai
nAn pAdum pAdal - pAdavA (grand), pAdavA (sOgam), dEvan kOvil (solo), dEvan kOvil (duet), pAdum vAnampAdi, machchAna vachchukkadi, seer koNdu vA
nalla nAL - pOdu thandhAnaththam, vetta veLi pottalilE, oththaiyilE peN kuthirai
nalla thambi - Atti vachcha Ada vENum nAdhA, kalyANa poNNirukku
nallavanukku nallavan - vachchukkavA, unnaiththAnE, sittukku, namma modhalALi, muththAdudhE
neengaL kEttavai -nAnE rAjA, piLLai nilA (male), piLLai nilA (female), kanavu kANum vAzhkkai yAvum, O vasantha rAjA, adiyE manam nillunnA nikkAdhadi
nEram nalla nEram - kattil pAttonnu pAdu, pavaLamaNiththEr mElE, yen anbE EngAthE
neruppukkuL eeram - thaniyA thavichchirukkEn, kaNNil onRu kaNdEn
nilavu suduvadhillai - pArijAtham pagalil pooththadhu, nALum en manam
niyAyam - karudhu kAththAdudhu, gangai nadhi meenO
nooRAvadhu nAL - vizhiyilE, ulagam muzhudhum pazhaya rAththiri, urugudhE
O mAnE mAnE - rOjA onRu uLLangaiyil, O dEvan kOvil veeNai, ponmAnai thEdudhE
poo vilangu - AthAdi pAvAda, kaNNil EdhO, love me love me, pOttEnE poo vilangu
puthumaippeN - kasthoori mAnE, kaNNiyila sikkAthaiyA, O oru thenRal, kAdhal mayakkam
thalayaNai mandhiram - manmadhan thAn vitta ambu
thambikku endha ooru - kAdhalin deepam (male), kAdhalin deepam (female), en vAzhvilE, kalyANa mELchchaththam, Asai kiLiyE
unnai nAn sandhiththEn - hEy I love you, dEvan thandha veeNai (mother), dEvan thandha veeNai (daughter), thAlAttu mARippOnadhE, unnaikkANum nenjam
vAzhkkai - kAlam mARalAm, mella mella ennaiththottu
vaidhEki kAthirudhAL - mEgam karukkaiyilE, rAsAththi onna, rAsAvE onna, indRaikku Enindha, kAthirundhu kAthirundhu, azhagu malarAda
veLLaippuRA onRu - iLam kAdhal veeNai

Obviously, I had surprises when scanning thru the vinyls earlier in another thread - such as 'pArijAtham pagalil pooththadhu' , 'dEvan kOvil deepam' 'pAdum vAnampAdi' and many such songs were not by VM but a variety of kavingarkaL...

Now, we have a complete list Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:55 pm

With this 1984 numbers, let us once again update the overall IR-VM statistics Smile

1976-79 - VM had none during those terrifc years when rAsA established himself as numero uno!

1980 - Just one song, ponmAlaippozhudu, making it < 2% of 50+rAsA hits that year
1981  -10 songs, all hits, which was a 15% contribution to IR's hit list
1982  -31 hit songs penned by VM, forming 33% of IR's TFM hits that year
1983  -One of the most successful years for VM, writing 40 hit songs for IR, or 38% of his hits
1984  - 37 songs and we'll talk about them in the next few pages, that formed 34.5% of IR's TFM hits for the year

1985 & 86 : in the "TO DO" list

1987 & after - these phenomenal years had no VM Smile

I've earlier posted that overall, VM wrote only < 350 songs out of IR's 5000+ tracks!

Out of those, we have so far identified 119 hit numbers, until 1984! At current rate, I guess it may reach a max of 200 or so (after we identify for 1985 & 1986).

Seen alone, it's a big number - no question about that.

However, when seen in the IR-context, it's not that big a number and dispels the 'mottai gOpura' myth!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:41 pm

#84 mEgham kottattum Attam uNdu minnal vettattum pAttum uNdu (enakkuL oruvan, SPB - Kamal)

The song that brought some praises from IR to Kamal on the Guna cassette. Unfortunately, only a couple of years prior to this, another song was done for a very similar situation that helped a movie become successful (rAga deepam EtRum nEram of PM). This time around, despite terrific effort by the composer & singer, the movie bombed - that too despite the Kamalahasan, kavidhAlayam, deepAvaLi and such factors. VM had wholesale kuththagai for this KB production and songs were popular nevertheless.

A personal favourite as can be seen from IR-SPB thread post Smile

Let's look at pAdal varigaL now:

மேகம் கொட்டட்டும் ஆட்டம் உண்டு
மின்னல் வெட்டட்டும் பாட்டும் உண்டு
ராகங்கள் தீராது பாடாமல் போகாது
வானம்பாடி ஓயாது

எந்தன் பாடல் கேட்டு இடி இன்று கை தட்டும்
தடை ஒன்றும் இல்லை மழை வந்து கேட்கட்டும்
நிஜமழையை இசைமழையால் நனைத்திடுவோம் நாங்கள்
குளிர் எடுத்தால் வானத்துக்கே குடை கொடுங்கள் நீங்கள்
பாட்டுகள் வான் வரை கேட்குமே
என் ஆட்டத்தில் மின்னலும் தோற்குமே
மழை சிந்தும் நீரும் தேன்

மழை வந்ததாலே இசை நின்று போகுமா
புயல் வந்ததாலே அலை என்ன ஓயுமா
ராகங்களால் தீபங்களை ஏற்றிவைத்தான் தான் சேன்
ராகங்களால் மேகங்களை நான் நிறுத்திவைப்பேன் என்பேன்
ரசிகனின் ஆர்வத்தைப் பாக்கிறேன் உங்கள் பாதத்தில் என் தலை சாய்க்கிறேன்
இசை எந்தன் ஜீவன் என்பேன்

Kind of jolly lines (unlike the emotional high 'rAga deepam') and there are some typical VM flashes of interesting phrases in the first saraNam (தடை ஒன்றும் இல்லை communism followed by uyaRvu naviRchi stuff such as  நிஜமழையை...நனைத்திடுவோம், வானத்துக்கே குடை, மின்னலும் தோற்குமே etc.).

Unfortunately, the second stanza becomes masAlA with generic cinematic phrases (e.g. இசை எந்தன் ஜீவன்). However, the lines are good overall Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next