Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music!

+10
rajkumarc
jaiganesh
Bala (Karthik)
plum
vicks
kiru
Vinayzmusic
Usha
V_S
app_engine
14 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music! - Page 2 Empty Re: First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music!

Post  vicks Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:04 am

app_engine wrote:
vicks wrote: being the "Ippo Ramasamy" that he is
puriyalai Embarassed
Please explain Smile

I think what I meant was any composer would have 'paused' to appreciate that his music can have such impact, but namma Raja was more like "get on with it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtm_Q2LK9g Smile

atha thaan sonnen..

vicks

Back to top Go down

First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music! - Page 2 Empty Re: First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music!

Post  V_S Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:47 pm

Song of a lifetime! Our dear plum nails it down in the quiz. the clap applause noteworthy The way he pours it out really needs multiple reads. Requoting here, as I thought everyone should read this.

plum wrote: the charanams start off with a restrained outpouring, just as the mother’s departed soul recalls the moments of bliss, as if lamenting it, and it reaches a massive proportion at “nee pirinja samayam mudhal nAn pirinja nimisham varE”..that’s a full-blown oppAri at the change in circumstance. As you heard it, I bet your heart cried and pounced and repeatedly struck you hard as if mourning a loss , each of you who are reading this and heard this song. Just go back, hear it, and challenge me if you didn’t get that feeling as I describe it.

Now, that is Raja, and no matter how much other fans claim the same for their composers – and mind you, I ahve never seen anyone actually claiming it pro-actively for their composer especially the post-IR commercial superstar MD fans, it is just that when we point out such phenomenal heart-stringing music from IR, they just copy and reuse a few weeks later, our words for their man’s music, just to record in history that their man also did it. Their conscience knows that beyond “soothing the soul” and “sufiana”, there is no other heart-touching feature of IR proportions in their man’s music.

In older MD’s case, it was always virtuosity and tune gamakams, tune twists, and unusual use of Ragas that were discussed. It is only with Raja that I see fans actually feeling minute emotions, and being simulated with a ‘state of mind’ of a moment that is encapsulated in the situation of the song.

Now that I have written so eloquently about this effect, you’ll find that other MD’s fans will copy and reuse this randomly for their man just so taht they can claim the same effect from their MD but their conscience, and you, my dear IR fan, know that only IR is capable of that.

Which is why he is the BGM king. BGM is all about stoking the emotions of the situation and capturing the mind-state of the characters involved. Only a man who has understood Cinema and music in their vast range can do proper justice to movie BGM. And no matter how much they project their MDs, truth is nobody has as much exposure to variety of Cinema and variety of Music as Raja. Being an Asst MD for movies ranging from Puttanna Kanagal to Sethumadhavan to tamil family dramas to everything literally under the sun during the 70s is what made IR the Movie-Music monster that he is. A career in Jingle making, with its need and penchant for superficial, catcy 2-minute noodle situations can never prepare you for that. And it hasnt, except in the words of fans, who also cannot articulate it on their own but make do by copying IR fans’ words coming from the heart and induced by IR’s music. Those fans do it just for “varalARU miga mukkiyam” but they know in their heart that they are just making it up for theor political aim of propping up their man. Whereas, whenever we speak ins uch depth about IR’s music, it comes from the heart and only because of the impact made.

When people claim that Roja BGM is in Time magazine therefore it is the best, you can only laugh at his lack of self-esteem. Leave the time magazine, can you articulate abotu why YOU think it is great? This reliance on veLLakAran’s approval, and using it as the only argument betarys their lack of musical inclination or knowledge and just treating IR-ARR like a Ajith-Vijay thing. Not saying all ARR fans are like thsi or something but all ARR fans I know are like this only. Funny guys.

I grew with IR’s music, and when I talk about it, i can talk in the context of the precise emoptional impact it makes, and what are its musical values. Pity if you cannot talk about music and can only advance arguments lik “Spielebrg comes for my man means he is greatest” and “Time magazine says it is greatest”,. Shows your and your idols hollowness, actually.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:48 pm

plum wrote:And see how it makes sense that Rex was reminded of this song while pondering about the Boston tragedy? It is actually a oppAri skilfully wrapped in a melodious tune, and “heart-touching”(nenju-nakking, to use Chennai local parlance) arrangements.

Strangely enough, and perhaps due to the director’s quirky thinking, it is the departed soul that is performing the oppAri. It is as if the dead mother cannot let go of her bonds with her worldly child, and the soul will not rest in peace until she can find her child well-settled emotionally, making up for her loss. What you hear, as a result, is a full-blown oppAri, milking every pore of poignancy in your heart. It blows open every such pore in your heart, which is why you have that sinking feeling by the time the enormously brilliant rakshasi Janaki reaches “ullAsam, anandam kunjOnE…”

Shakespeare said he who doesn’t like music is fit for only treason, strategems and betrayals. Some ideologies proscribe music hearing. Now, you know why.
Well, music is a vast ocean, and the above quotes need to be understood correctly. It is not that those quotes encompass all modes of music. The reason some hard-core ideologies which depend on the recipients having a terrorist-state of mind, proscribe music is to avoid them listening to music such as this song, because it attacks all your soft, poignant pores, and once that floodgate is opened, you lament for the affected, you feel for the sufferors.

There is also the other kind of soothing music, which actually deadens your pain, and like a drug, anasthesises you into a “heighetened staet of being”, laying you inert and unattached. Thats the sufi kind, which kind of makes you peaceful and gives you a temporary bliss for the duration it plays.

But the human mind, being the human mind, is capable of climbing back the murungai maram, once that music stops.

Whereas, with Raja, he touches raw nerves, and prises open your inner wounds, and exposes you to the precise suffering with his music, after which it is impossible for you not to feel aversion to anythign that causes this suffering. It is like a permanent cure. This is the kind of music Shakespeare refers to, the absence of which makes a villain. This is the kind of music terrorist-producers are afraid of. Because once you hear it, you get in touch with your deepest emotional chords, and can feel every dark and stark feeling felt by the sufferors.

Last edited by V_S on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:51 pm

plum wrote:Having produced so many words, I still feel the need to point out how just thinking about the tragedy automatically led Rex to play this song in his mind, and as a result, bring it up here. Ofcourse, a Rahman fan would play “Bombay Climax BGM”. But that’s the soothing, sufiana type which makes you feel peaceful, rather than poignant. It kind of acts as a temporary pain-balm but doesnt attack the root cause, and expose that part of your heart which feels – FEELS, mark that word – for suffering, which once you do, you cannot ever forget it. That precision, as @equanimus often refers to, is the hallmark of Raja.

Playing a peaceful, faux-poignant piece for a riot situation is the remit of most musicians,but to go beyond that, and offer a ruthless exposure of the precise nature of suffering, you need Raja

plum wrote:“aataanum mataanum njaanille” …is where the tormented soul pours out its central pain – that of not being there for the kid, for whom it still holds the maternal affection, just as if it were still in the material world. If you dont experience the torment of a helpless mother when you hear that, you, as Shakespeare said, are only fit for treasons, strategems and spoils.

As you can see, the song is tormenting me from yesterday and I am unable to let go…

What the ….theis damned song is still playing in my mind…yOv Rexu, ennOda mind radiova keeRal vizhundha Record-A mAthittiyEyyA?

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:06 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:23 pm

I am reading it again and again, simultaneously listening to 'aataanum mataanum njaanille'. No words plum, beautifully expressed, best-est! noteworthy

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:40 pm

vS,
Thanks for the link....................... enaku oru chinna kadhai iruku.. indha padam vandha podhu,
en paiyan 1 and half years...appodhu enaku oru periya accident achu.. Head injury.. so padukaiyil sila maadhangal...
andha time il indha padathu paatai elalm... kaeten..... solla theiryamal azhugai varum.. infact, padam, kadhai
edhuvum theriyadhu apodhu...... paatu sonnadhu.. mother sentiment... feelings ellam. ennoda manasin
Reflection aga thoniyadhu ..............

nambikaiyodu, naan sari aga kaaranamana paatu. indha padathu paatu ellam...............

Niraiya varudangal anadhu. naan normal life lead panna.. adhu varai .. IR songs .. adhuvum monter's songs.. adhu dhan enaku unmaiyana medicines.. naan cure aga..nadamada. en oru vayasu kuzhandhaiyai parthu kolla.......... I love u Raja......

idhai ezhudhum podhae kannil kannir. IR kaga. .IR songs kaga.. andha feelings kaga................ amazing..................

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Ushaji,
Very moving post and sorry to hear about your accident. As always Maestro rescues us by healing from inside by touching the roots, as plum quotes. Now you also said the same thing. noteworthy
Thanks a lot for recording this. Maestro's songs are not just part of our life, they are our life.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:34 pm

Usha wrote:
idhai ezhudhum podhae kannil kannir. IR kaga. .IR songs kaga.. andha feelings kaga................ amazing..................

First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music! - Page 2 2798411019

mey silirppu UshakkA!

Excellent posts plum & nanRi V_Sji for sharing them here Smile

It's a sweet song from a lovely album (pappayude swantham appoos) and my fav from that is the bubbly 'Olaththumbathu' by SJ Smile

(BTW, I liked only a small portion of that movie which was below-average for the most part. It was made by Fazil after he got spoilt / corrupt by working in the TF industry for a few years Embarassed)

Last edited by app_engine on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:18 pm

When I speculated that IR had evoked the feelings of a tormented mother's soul, lamenting its inability to reach out and take care of the kid, I was doing just that - speculating. For what do I, a depraved, lazy, selfish male of the species, know about motherhood and its attendant concerns?

Yet, there I was, feeling the torment of that soul when IR did his magic with En Poove. Just speculation, right? Yet another fanciful theory by a over-analysing IR fanatic, right?

And that's where, for the second time in my life, Usha chechi comes to my rescue. Last time I speculated about a IR song and its invocation of motherly feelings was when I wrote about Mazhai varuvadhu Mayilukku theriyum. Then, too, I was just talking through my hat - just describing the feeling as I interpreted it on hearing the song. On that occasion, too, Usha chechi was to corroborate what I wrote, as she had experienced exactly that feeling in her life, and this song had exactly replicated that feeling for her.

That is, to say, she had experienced both sides of the following equations, and therefore, was in good position to confidently insert the "=", in between them

IR's music for Mazhai varuvadu = Feelings evoked in an estranged mother as she prepares to meet her kid, returning after a long separation, a meeting that looked woefully distant and unlikely at one point
IR's music for Poove Pon Poove = Feelings evoked in a helpless mother's soul as she stood there watching her kid suffer, yet unable to wipe away the kid's tears, rendered immobile by fate.

Now, she has the experience and right to insert that "Equal To" sign in between. What experience or right do I have, or had, to insert that sign, and confidently proclaim that the two sides were equal? I have never, nor ever will, experience the RHS of those two equations right? How did I confidently write two days ago that that song was the lament of a helpless mother's soul, and that I could feel that inside me? I was making it up, right?

Wrong. You are wrong, because you failed to contend with this magician called Ilayaraja, who, if you recall, I said, can evoke any feeling in you, even if Life itself never offered you the chance to experience that feeling. And that is what I feel corroborated for when I see Usha Chechi sharing her experience.

Now, I am fairly sure that now that I have written this, eventually fans of other composers will miraculously experience similar events and write about them. If I have seen that once, I have seen that a million times.

And, ofcourse, we will have Annanagar Tumourists confidently proclaiming that this is just over-analysis by an IR fanatic, and mocking our heart-felt expression of our experience of IR's music. Actually, I feel sorry for that tribe - for if they cannot experience the extra-ordinary power of true, divine, sincere, heartful music to evoke subtle, specific, precise feelings, how can you teach them? And do you not feel sorry when they mock when we express such a unique, divine experience provided by IR's music. I really feel sorry for their hollow souls.

Thanks Usha chechi, you are blessed, indeed, that you have actually felt these tender feelings, and then had the extra-ordinary boon of having Ilayaraja underscore these feelings with his music for you to experience it again vicariously.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:18 pm

Thanks Usha and Plum

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:39 pm

vs and app,
naan dhan thanks sollanam ungaluku elalm. enani ingae serthindadhuku..am blessed.

plulm,
unga post anniki naan padikavae ilai.. paatai parthadhum..emotional agi.. post panninen. apparam dhan unga post ai padichen........ungalai madhiri elam enaku solla theriyadhu indha IR ai.

Plum,
mazhai varuvadhu,...ssssssss.. ennoda collar tune adhu dhana.. indha paatai vaithu kolllum podhu avanuku 17 vayasu. ipo 22 vayasu .. solli irukan. change pannadhae indha paatai nu.......... en pasathai purindhu kondan........... thanks to IR....avan kalyanam analum, avanuku kids vandhalum.... IR songs irukium enaku thunaiyaga........ avan ninaivugaludan..........................

Baka karthick, welcomne....... unga post podungo.. parkanam.......

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:55 pm

Yes, Usha Chechi, I understood you wrote that without looking at my post. That's why I used it as proof how IR could evoke unknown emotions of motherhood even in stone-hearted males like me Smile. nInga unga vAzhkaila uNarndhadhai veRum oru pAttai mattum vechu rAsa enakku uNarthittApla - even though I am not capable of that emotion in real life.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:03 am

plum wrote:Yes, Usha Chechi, I understood you wrote that without looking at my post. That's why I used it as proof how IR could evoke unknown emotions of motherhood even in stone-hearted males like me Smile. nInga unga vAzhkaila uNarndhadhai veRum oru pAttai mattum vechu rAsa enakku uNarthittApla - even though I am not capable of that emotion in real life.
Plum - Raasa says "ungalukkul illaadha unarchiyayum isayum naan ungalukku thara mudiyaadhu" - manusan is basically a paasakkaara paya irrespective of the garbs and cloaks he hides himself with..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Tamil slang, choice words in English, some barbs at other music fans, generalization but very good perceptiveness of the music trend all in a very raw format but conveying the impact and highlights of rAja's music/style seems to be hallmarks of Plum's writing. Very unique and effective :-)
I think this tune has a tamil version too. Starts with a ghostly/eerie feel and then goes on to plucking the heart strings. Awesome. The picturization perspective from a little boys admiring view of his mom, is very interesting (seeing how my 4yr old boy is fond of his mom).

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed May 15, 2013 3:44 pm

There's a series of tweets (Plum, V_Sji, B(K), musicmafia) highlighting KSC's Telugu accent as superior to SJ's / PS's Thamizh...

Me too entered the series this AM with the following :

a_e wrote:

@balakarthik78 @nom_d_plum @maestrosworld @sicmafia

Chitra chEchi needs no cert by me, but let me nitpick her Thamizh issues, tho RARE-1/4

Mal's have issues with ர,ள and say them ற,ல at times, as in their language. KSC too 2/4

துல்லிப்போகும் புல்லிமான மல்லுவேட்டி இழுக்குது (பூஜைக்கேத்த பூவிது முதல் சரணம்) 3/4

நான் கொடுத்தத திறுப்பிக்கொடுத்தா (end-il)
ரவி வற்ம்மாவின் (பாசப்பறவைகள்)
Not delib 4/4

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 21, 2013 7:41 pm

A vinyl in musicalaya with the title "Hit songs of S Janaki" (possible date 1976, includes 'machchAnappAththeengaLA' of annakkiLi and 'kola kolayA mundhirikkA' of pAlootti vaLarththa kiLi):

First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music! - Page 2 Hit_so10

First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music! - Page 2 Hit_so11

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Vinayzmusic Thu May 23, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi app_engine,

This Vinyl LP looks very good . Thanks for sharing .
Do you have songs (as it is ) from this LP . I would love to listen voice of SJ as recorded in LP .I will send you my mail ID . Kindly post me these songs , if you have with you . Thanks in advance !!

While writing this , I am listening to Yeh Padal ondru -- My God what a song ! This one is sung by KJy-Sj in Tamil/Kannada and by SPB-Sj in Telugu .Try all versions at once to get a superb feel Smile

Vinay .

Vinayzmusic

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 23, 2013 10:07 pm

Vinayzmusic,

Almost all the vinyl cover pictures that I've posted in various threads of the forum are from musicalaya.net Smile

I've repeatedly given them credits everywhere Smile

Unfortunately, I've never owned any IR vinyls Embarassed

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Vinayzmusic Thu May 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Thanks for the information appengine,

This is the first LP of SJ that I saw in Tamil . It made my day Smile

Vinayzmusic

Back to top Go down

Post  Vinayzmusic Thu May 23, 2013 10:24 pm

I am listening to this compilation of Duets http://www.sjanaki.net/yesudas-janaki-tamil-melodies .

I simply love the duets of Janaki amma in music of Raja sir .Because he always made something is special in almost every other duet composed for her (in fact for every one) .

SJ-SPB is my first and ultimate choice in music of Raja sir .
After SPB , it is KJY who sang max number of duets with SJ in number , mainly because of their Malayalam duets . But When it comes to their Tamil duets , major contribution is by Raja sir only .He composed some beautiful numbers in Kannada also and some very rare songs in Telugu .
I would love to listen Thendral vandu ennai thodum song without break for 10 times . Especially for the sangathis that they add @ pagalE pOi vidu, iravE "paai" kodu.

Then comes yeh Paadal ondru , My god , what a tune and especially that stereo effect .. It drives me crazy .

Putham Pudu poo poothado , God bless these three legends for such a song ! Enthan Nejil is one of those initial songs which I heard in Tamil music Smile

Many from this compilation are my all time favs .....Smile

Vinayzmusic

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:05 am

Just finished reading Plum's post on En Poove song while listening to the song multiple times. It's been a while since I heard a song that kindled raw emotions(tears that is) as this one and also as Plum put it which we Men can't experience in real life. This song was made for SJ and I can't think of anyone who could have pulled this off, right from the initial humming soulful singing at it's best. As for IR, there is no one before or after him who can make us experience these deep emotions that we might not be capable of in real life.

Thanks Plum for your writeup, actuallly an outpour, you are one of a kind when expressing your thoughts about IR's music, a post to treasure noteworthy noteworthy noteworthy

Thanks V_S for sharing Plum's post. It will be really tough to listen to any other song for a while.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:23 am

Though an old video (not too old, may be last year's), first time watch for me:

Some interesting things :

IIRC the acapella by female singers in praise of SJ is 100% rAsA songs Smile

(And, most of them written by GA - sounds like a message to VM sitting in the audience, some kuRumban / kuRumbi picked them I think)

The singers "sing" even the interludes Smile
Another speciality that has to happen with IR songs Smile

When one talks too much, he is bound to commit blunders - gObi sAr listing 'en vAnilE orE veNNilA' as her great singing to SJ herself Shocked

EnyA andhammA pAdina 10000 pAtta vuttuttu Jency pAdina pAttu thAnA onakku kedachchudhu? nalla program conductor pO Shocked

SJ signs off with 'thAttum poongAtRu', my top-fav Smile

extra-khushi for me Smile

(Looks like Vijay TV was behaving well even last year, what happened to those fellows now?
I suspect some edhirkkatchi engineering, post-NEPV!)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Kangalukul ennai ezhudhu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEulORR1vSA

Jaggery Syrup madhiri.. oru sweetness.... adhai polavae izhuvai...... kuralil........ paadum style il.........

paatin thalathin mood udan padum oru  Singer .......  Enna oru Energy....... kuralil.......... Really something
Great in this song...............

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:26 am

SJ was on SS4 program for 2 days.

Like V_Sji mentioned in the appropriate thread, perhaps the best episodes of the program are these two, thanks to SJ!

IMO, much better singing / sharing etc than the three days that SPB attended in that week. During the SPB days, people sang some not-so-great numbers, including one that SPB himself forgotten Laughing peNNalla peNNalla oodhAppoo. Admittedly there are many non-IR SPB numbers that are great but picking a very ordinary song like this must have been the engineering by the pro-ARR gumbal (in addition to oruvan oruvan, thangaththAmari, padaiyappA, swAsamE - significantly tilted % compared to SPB's career output from other composers, especially IR).

Also, despite SPB telling the fellows not to eulogise him too much, there was thigattum levels of SPB-pugazh pAdal done which was not in great taste. That apart, Sankar nEthrElayA took a lot of shine away from him on the last day. So, it was IMHO much-below-average show. In addition, most singers were atrocious. (For masAlA's sake, SS4 is running a quota system - one elderly, one disabled, one mimicry, one immature, one guNdu, one olli kind of mix is being maintained with absolutely no regard to singing abilities. As pathetic like the scenario of male singers in TFM today).

OTOH, the females did a tremendous job & SJ was gracious! Personally, max share of IR songs made me happy and that could be the reason I liked the SJ part better Smile

Here are the two days' videos:

Both the 'azhagu malarAda' & 'pAdu nilAvE' singers were awesome and along with Sharth (who sang maNNil indhakkAdhal), ok talents to watch for in the future (not immediately, after some more training / maturity etc) Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next