Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources

+2
V_S
app_engine
6 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources Empty Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources

Post  app_engine Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:03 pm

Most of us in this forum can read Thamizh (Kamal Akarsh is an exception). A good % can also read Hindi.

OTOH, while many of us can understand Malayalam (some can speak as well), I think only very few can read.

This thread is an attempt to give READING lessons for the Malayalam language, from AnA AvannA, in a structured, regular, periodic way Smile

The inspiration is the availability of a lot of Malayalam disk covers on the musicalaya website. And also the craving inside to teach language related stuff.

Question - why should anyone learn to read Malayalam?

Answer - a) To keep brain-cells active (and escape Alzheimer's etc.)

b) Additional skill in life that comes at negligible cost (max 5 to 10 minutes a day for a couple of months)

c) Could come handy in case of travel to Kerala (impress the people around Laughing )

d) Read cinema titles Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources Empty Re: Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources

Post  app_engine Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:18 pm

Introduction

Like most Indian languages, Malayalam too has vowels & consonants in separate groups and a set of symbols to indicate the "combinations" (called உயிர்மெய் "uyir mey" in Thamizh).

While many Malayalam words are also common to Thamizh and also some Malayalam alphabets resemble Thamizh letters, the Malayalam alphabets are "designed / assembled / grouped" mostly like vadamozhi / Hindi. (For example, different characters for ka / kha / ga / gha / nga in one set, which is like Hindi and unlike Thamizh.)

That way, to get the Malayalam READING skill, if someone knows Hindi alphabets, it's an advantage.

If someone knows only English / Thamizh, they need to embrace this new concept for consonants.

However, the good thing is, we'll first start with vowels - which is more or less like Thamizh Smile

This one is a great resource - the google transliteration tool for Malayalam and I would encourage everyone to use it freely for practicing the words that we'll be using in this course - at least 5 minutes a day (you don't have to know Malayalam, all that is needed is only English typing):

http://www.google.com/intl/ml/inputtools/cloud/try/

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources Empty Re: Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources

Post  app_engine Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:40 pm

Day 1 (= Lesson 1)

First two vowels (a,A / அ,ஆ / अ,आ / അ, ആ)

The first two vowels are same like Thamizh / Hindi and I've given the vowels in four languages above for convenience.

Since English vowels are not phonetic, it's preferable to look at the corresponding Thamizh or Hindi to understand how it sounds Embarassed

The first Malayalam letter in somewhat bigger font is given below, along with some words and their corresponding renderings in other languages as well as meanings.

is the first letter.

Some words that start with this letter:

മ്മ - அம்ம - अम्म - amma -MOTHER

ച്ഛന്‍ -அச்சன் - अच्छन - achchan - FATHER

ക്ഷരം -அக்ஷரம் -अक्षरम - aksharam - ALPHABET

തിസുന്ദരി -அதிசுந்தரி -अतिसुन्दरि -athi sundhari - VERY BEAUTIFUL (WOMAN)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:47 pm

Now the interesting part - pictures of a couple of vinyl covers Smile

You'll be able to spot the letter അ in them easily as these movie titles START with that letter Smile

First one, same "mother" word, amma / അമ്മ

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources Amma10

Another one - with a picture of Kamalahasan & Lakshmi, having the same first letter but a juicier title Embarassed

anthi veyilile ponnu / അന്തി വെയിലിലെ പൊന്ന്

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources Anthi_10

BTW, if someone wants the vinyl cover pic of avaLude rAvukaL, please go to musicalaya website Wink

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 pm

The second Malayalam letter is just the extended version of that first letter.

Some words that start with this letter :

- This letter itself is also a word and has meaning - ஆ / आ / aa / THAT

ദ്യം -ஆத்யம் / आद्यं / aadhyam / FIRST

ണ്‍ -ஆண் /आण / aan / MALE

വശ്യം -ஆவஷ்யம் / आवश्यम/ aavashyam / NEED

Let me post the vinyl cover pics in a separate post, just to keep it simple Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Try to focus only on the first letter for now as you'll have plenty of time to worry about the rest of the characters in the coming days.

In learning to read, it's very important to memorize how a particular character looks - if necessary by writing ourselves on paper / paintbrush etc to embed in the mind. Let me come to that in another post today as to how to "exercise" / "practice" Smile

Two vinyl covers for this letter too, one being a rAsA one Smile

aa raathri / ആ രാത്രി (meaning "that night", music by Ilayaraja, having the lovely SJ number kiLiyE kiLiyE)

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources A_rath10

aa nimisham / ആ നിമിഷം (meaning "that minute" or "that moment")

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources A_nimi10

As I said before, there are tons of other vinyl covers that start with ആ in the musicalaya website and please look at them to familiarize and embed this character in mind Smile

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:34 pm

Now, exercise (until we hit our Lesson 2 next week sometime) :

Go to this website:

http://www.google.com/intl/ml/inputtools/cloud/try/

Type those 8 words (4 each for അ and ആ) a few times, while also loudly telling those words Smile

That's all Smile

(Challenge exercise : Instead of going to google, take a pen / paper and write down those eight words Laughing )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:50 pm

App ji,
I am dumbfounded by your energy and passion by your contributions. I never thought I would learn malayalam one day, until this thread. Hats off your passion! cheers cheers

Thank you very much!.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:18 am

yw, V_Sji!

I'll try to post 2 lessons per week - that way, all the characters (alphabets) can possibly be covered in a couple of months, while also giving enough time for practice (to anyone who is interested). I know people are busy with many pursuits in lives and this won't be a top priority.

Just to keep the thread alive and maintain interest, I'll try to post a few more pictures (not necessarily vinyl covers but otherwise movie related links) between the lessons Smile

In addition, more advanced reading lessons / exercises can follow after familiarization of alphabets / combos Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:20 am

Great job boss. Always wonder why are the Telugu/Malayalam/Kannada scripts so difficult to write. I mean in thamizh the toughest letter probably is the 'ங' and that's not half as difficult as the first two Malayalam letters posted by app.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:18 am

Great initiative App.
I have taught myself to read Malayalam film titles but still get stuck at combo-letters and the combination factor you mentioned. Given my knowledge of MF, I tend to auto-complete. For example, Rajathantram. I can read Ra, Ja, tha, ra, m. That adds up to Rajatharam. But I sense something wrong there and educatedly guess that it is rajathantrahm

Hopefully you can give me a formal lesson and make me an expert Smile

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:29 pm

Thanks Nerd & plum for the appreciation!

Will post the next lesson (e-ee / இ-ஈ /इ-ई / ഇ-ഈ) on Wednesday.

So, two more days to get the first two (അ & ആ) strongly stored in mind!

As a fun exercise, let's try to guess the following names that start with these letters (i.e. person / place associated with the name written in Malayalam but with some English clues included):

1. A K ന്തോണി (central minister, as pronounced in Thamizh and not English)

2.ദം & ഹവ്വ (First man & woman, Biblical)

3.ടൽ ബിഹാരി വാജ്‌പേയി (first name of former PM, BJP)

4.ഫ്രിക്ക (dark continent, "இருண்ட கண்டம்")

5.മേരിക്ക (U.S. of)

6.ഡ്‌ലൈഡ് (Oval, Cricket)

7.ദി ഭഗവന് (Thiruvalluvar - Ameer connection)

8. ച്ചുവിന്റെ മ്മ (Sathyan AnthikkAd - Meera Jasmine -Oorvashi -IR)

9. ലപ്പുഴ (Kerala town / district of famous snake boat race)

10. ലുവ (Another Kerala town near Ernakulam, famous for Sivarathri, on the banks of Periyar river)

Hopefully these are easy to crack, please post answers as soon as you figure out all or some or one Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:51 pm

app - I know a few consonants adhai vechu kaNdupidichadhu

1. A.K. andhONi
2. Adham & Evu?
3. atal bihAri vAjpEyI
4. Afrikke (not africa)
5. amErikke (not america)
6. adilaidu
7. Adhi bhagavan
8. achuviNdE ammA
9. Alappuzha (not AlappuzhA)
10. Aluva

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:52 pm

app_engine wrote:
As a fun exercise, let's try to guess the following names that start with these letters (i.e. person / place associated with the name written in Malayalam but with some English clues included):

1. A K ന്തോണി (central minister, as pronounced in Thamizh and not English)
---- A K anthOny (where is 'n' here?) I could see a, thO, ni
2.ദം & ഹവ്വ (First man & woman, Biblical)
---- aadhi or aadhaam & EvaaL? (not sure exactly) I understood the second letter as 'tha', not sure of the third letter.
3.ടൽ ബിഹാരി വാജ്‌പേയി (first name of former PM, BJP)
----a ta la(what's the difference between 'la' and 'il' bihari) bi haa ri vaa j pE yi
4.ഫ്രിക്ക (dark continent, "இருண்ட கண்டம்") ---- aa pri caa
----
5.മേരിക്ക (U.S. of) ---- amEricaa

6.ഡ്‌ലൈഡ് (Oval, Cricket) a di le d ?

7.ദി ഭഗവന് (Thiruvalluvar - Ameer connection) --- aa ends with 'van' (not sure of other words)

8. ച്ചുവിന്റെ മ്മ (Sathyan AnthikkAd - Meera Jasmine -Oorvashi -IR) --- aa chchu vi n te amma

9. ലപ്പുഴ (Kerala town / district of famous snake boat race) aa la ppu zha

10. ലുവ (Another Kerala town near Ernakulam, famous for Sivarathri, on the banks of Periyar river) aa le pe

Hopefully these are easy to crack, please post answers as soon as you figure out all or some or one Smile

My answers above, but without the clues, it would have been difficult. Please correct me. I think I haven't answered two.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:49 pm

Great job plum & V_Sji!

Of course, plum did better Smile

The correct answers :

1. A K ന്തോണി : A.K. அந்தோணி (A.K.Antony pronounced "unthONi") begins with short 'അ'

2. ദം & ഹവ്വ : ஆதம் & ஹவ்வ (Adam & Eve pronounced "Adham & havva") begins with long 'ആ'

3. ടൽ ബിഹാരി വാജ്‌പേയി : அடல் பிஹாரி வாஜ்பேயி (Atal Bihari Vajpayee) begins with short 'അ'

4. ഫ്രിക്ക : ஆஃப்ரிக்க (Africa pronounced Afrikka) begins with long 'ആ'

5. മേരിക്ക : அமேரிக்க (America pronounced amErikka) begins with short 'അ'

6. ഡ്‌ലൈഡ് : அட்லைட் (Adelaide pronounced ad-lied) begins with short 'അ'

7. ദി ഭഗവന് : ஆதி பகவன் (Adhi Bhagavan) begins with long 'ആ'

8. ച്ചുവിന്റെ മ്മ : அச்சுவின்டெ அம்ம (achuvinde amma) both words begin with short 'അ'

9. ലപ്പുഴ : ஆலப்புழ (Alappuzha, formerly known as Alleppey) begins with long 'ആ'

10. ലുവ : ஆலுவ (Aluva, formerly known as Alwaye) begins with long 'ആ'

As you can see, there had been some negligible errors in your posts - both of you get A+ Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:02 pm

TRIVIA / DIGRESSION (for the moment)

For those who can read Thamizh, you would have noticed that Malayalam uses the same notations for converting consonants to ye-yEh sounds (from the above quiz).

These are called 'oththa suzhikkombu' & 'retta suzhikkombu' in Thamizh.

The short one example : டெ = റെ (te) (as seen above in അച്ചുവിന്റെ / அச்சுவின்டெ)

The long one example : பே = ‌പേ (pE) (as seen above in വാജ്‌പേയി / வாஜ்பேயி)

So, for such people, two less characters to learn Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Small treat for quiz scorers plum & V_Sji, an image link:

aniyaththipRAvu (Fazil's Malayalam original of kAdhalukku mariyAdhai) :

നിയത്തിപ്രാവ് (அனியத்திப்றாவு - Sister, dove)

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources Aniyat10

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:28 pm; edited 3 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:05 pm

app_engine wrote:1. A K ന്തോണി : A.K. அந்தோணி (A.K.Antony pronounced "unthONi") begins with short 'അ'
App ji,
As I asked before where is that 'n' in anthONy. അ - a, ന്തോ - thO, ണി -Ni? Or is it implied indirectly based on the next letter? Please explain.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:13 pm

V_S wrote:App ji,
As I asked before where is that 'n' in anthONy. അ - a, ന്തോ - thO, ണി -Ni? Or is it implied indirectly based on the next letter? Please explain.

Embarassed sorry for not answering that question! Actually, it is kind of "advanced" section in a "learn to read Malayalam" course Smile

"ന്തോ" is a combinational letter (n+th+O, "nthO"), a feature absent in modern Thamizh.

As seen in the trivia above, the first character is the 'retta suzhikkombu' and the last character is the 'thuNai ezhuththu', for the O sound in the "thO".

The middle character is a combo of n & th : ന് + ത് = ന്ത്‌ (nth) Smile

This combo concept is alien to modern Thamizh (except in vadamozhi usage like sree & ksha : ஸ்ரீ & க்ஷ)

Last edited by app_engine on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:36 pm

No problem at all app ji. Thanks for explaining in detail.Smile Very interesting to know this. From thamizh perspective, I concluded from the starting 'rettai suzhi kombu' and ending 'thunaikaal' letter (ന്തോ) that the middle letter is just 'tha'. So malayalam's best kept secret is, there can be multiple letters ('n' and 'tha') between them.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:38 pm

So, we had the lesson, exercise & quiz for the first two alphabets of Malayalam (that sound exactly like the first two alphabets of Thamizh & Hindi) Smile

= அ = अ = the 'a' sound as in under
ആ = ஆ = आ = the 'aa' sound as in far

As one can discern, both characters appear very similar, except for the small extra hook in the right bottom in the case of the long sound!

Let's get ready for Lesson 2 today Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:34 pm

Lesson 2

Second two vowels (e,ee / இ, ஈ / इ, ई / ഇ , ഈ)

As in the case of first two, these are exact equivalents of their counterparts in Thamizh & Hindi.
On the other hand, the English part of the first one is somewhat tricky Embarassed When it's read as an alphabet only, the equivalent is "e" ; but when it occurs in words, it sounds the way how English letter 'i' sounds in words (it, in, India, impossible)

Let's get the words for these letters, to practice :

ന്ത്യ - இந்த்ய / इन्द्य / inthya (India)

ളയരാജ - இளயராஜ / इलयराज / Ilayaraaja (Ilayaraajaa)

ഷ്ടം - இஷ்டம் / इष्टम / ishtam (Desire)

വിടെ - இவிடெ / इविडे / ivide (Here)

The character looks somewhat like the Thamizh ஐ but with a flat line in the bottom portion.

Nerd,

IMHO, இ is a difficult Thamizh character to learn - it looks like jilEbi Smile It's relatively easier in Malayalam!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:53 pm

Time for vinyl covers, for ഇ Smile

First one is quite a long name, please focus only on the first character Smile

ത്തിരിപ്പൂവേ ചുവന്ന പൂവേ (iththirippoovE chuvanna poovE)

As you probably figured out, "poovE" means same in both Malayalam & Thamizh ("hey flower!")

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources Ithiri10

The second one is ന്നല്ലെങ്കില്‍ നാളെ (innallengil nALe)

This title roughly means "tomorrow, if not today".

Many TN-ers have a small confusion initially in Kerala w.r.t. "yesterday & today" words. (Not as clearly distinct as in Thamizh)

ഇന്നലെ ("innale" means yesterday, I saw Joe sir translating this as "today" in the viswaroopam thread of the hub)

ഇന്ന് ('innu' means today)

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources Innall10

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:29 pm

A few words for practice of this fourth letter:

- ஈ / ई / ee - The letter is also a word, means "this", for e.g. "ee puzha" means this river

റ്റ - ஈற்ற (ஈட்ட) / ईटट / eetta - Reed , not as translated in movie posters inside TN "இன்ப தாகம்" Laughing )

ച്ച - ஈச்ச / ईच्छ / eechcha - Fly / Housefly (thEn eechcha means honey bee)

ന്തപ്പന - ஈந்தப்பன / ईंदप्पन / eenthappana - Date palm, the tree that produces dates - I mean fruits Wink

As one can see ഈ shares the first character same as its short form (ഇ) with an extra hook on the right top ("superscript" kind).

We'll see this hook on the right top used for some more letters too, as we progress! So, please make note of this "super script" thingy!

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:45 pm

Two vinyls for Smile

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about these movies or the two movies posted above for the kuRil Embarassed

(If someone finds the vinyl covers or the associated movies offensive - due to their reputation for adult / pAluRavu content or something like that, please let me know...we can find alternates).

വഴി മാത്രം (ee vazhi mAthram, only this way)

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources Eevazh10

റ്റില്ലം (eetrillam, labour room...eetru = delivery + illam = home)

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources Eetril10

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next