Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo

+20
irir123
Manoj Raj
irfan123
ravinat
Raaga_Suresh
Drunkenmunk
plum
al_gates
endrum_raja
Usha
kiru
olichudar
jaiganesh
sagi
groucho070
rajkumarc
SenthilVinu
mythila
V_S
app_engine
24 posters

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 2 Empty Re: Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo

Post  kiru Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:41 pm

V_S wrote:app sir,
You are doing an amazing job! cheers Through you I am getting closer to GA lyrics. Definitely this thread serves as an eye opener for me having missed these lyrics and deserving lyricist. I never knew GA wrote poonkathavE. What a miss! Thank you!
Me thought it was VM !!!

kiru

Back to top Go down

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 2 Empty Re: Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo

Post  app_engine Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:10 am

I started this thread with a pulambal that Gautam missed GA from the directors' list. pOgattum.

Well, he didn't really miss the lyricist GA Smile The very song he himself chose to sing got penned by none other than rAsA's younger bro!

uRavugaL thodar kadhai , uNarvugaL siRu kathai!

What a lovely pallavi line did he construct! The words and phrases sound nice, sit well on the melody and exhibit a decent understanding of life (sounds almost philosophical)!

Above all, it suited the movie theme and the song's setting to a T! One of the loveliest picturizations for rAsA songs - in B & W!

A late 70's song gets picked up by a youththu iconic director after 30 years - to sing as a personal favourite on stage, just with guitar accompaniment, in front of thousands of new millennium Chennai people! Is that not something that one would want to associate with a hip, sophisticated, city-bred lyricist? Probably that's why no one mentions this pattikkAttAn GA - whom they would happily bracket with dappAnguththu & nAdan pAttu Smile

See radiospathy's post here, for e.g.

என்ன அழகான வரிகள், வரிகளைச் சேதப்படுத்தாமல் ஜேசுதாஸின் கனிவான குரலும், இளையராஜாவின் ஆர்ப்பாட்டமற்ற ஒத்தடமாய் இசையும்.

Though there is slAgippu about the lovely lines, there's no mention of GA Mad OTOH, everyone else gets great praise! Well, I'm glad we're undoing a lot of injustice to GA by this thread exercise Smile

This is another "western" song to add to GA's kitty in our thread:

பல்லவி

உறவுகள் தொடர்கதை
உணர்வுகள் சிறுகதை
ஒருகதை என்றும் முடியலாம்
முடிவிலும் ஒன்று தொடரலாம்
இனி எல்லாம் சுகமே

சரணம் 1

உன் நெஞ்சிலே பாரம்
உனக்காகவே நானும்
சுமைதாங்கியாய் தாங்குவேன்
உன் கண்களின் ஓரம்
எதற்காகவோ ஈரம்
கண்ணீரை நான் மாற்றுவேன்
வேதனை தீரலாம் வெறும் பனி விலகலாம்
வெண்மேகமே புது அழகிலே நானும் இணையலாம்

சரணம் 2

வாழ்வென்பதோ கீதம்
வளர்கின்றதோ நாதம்
நாளொன்றிலும் ஆனந்தம்
நீ கண்டதோ துன்பம்
இனி வாழ்வெல்லாம் இன்பம்
சுகராகமே ஆரம்பம்
நதியிலே புதுப்புனல் கடலிலே கலந்தது
நம் சொந்தமோ இன்று இணைந்தது இன்பம் பிறந்தது

thiraippadal link:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0349'&lang=en

youtube:

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:39 am

Amar Singh collar-ai thookki vittukkoLLa another song from avaL appadiththAn - "panneer pushpangaLE"!

Not just for the terrific lines that question the society about the wrongs done to women but also for writing the first song that Kamal sang under IR's music. For a B&W movie produced and directed by Rudraiah. Interestingly, Kamal acts as a film maker / director in this movie and he is perhaps the hottest topic right now for the TF community (viswaroopam) Smile Perhaps there was some mutually beneficial learnings for both Rudraiah and Kamal in AA...(unfortunately, Rudraiah does not have any more proof of his genius. OTOH, Kamal has since directed some acclaimed movies).

Anyways, not to take the focus away, please give some attention to the lines that GA penned for this interesting song that rides on a lovely rAsA melody of early times:

பல்லவி

பன்னீர் புஷ்பங்களே
கானம் பாடு
உன்னைப்போலே எந்தன் உள்ளம் ஆடுது
புதுத்தாளம் தொட்டு ஓ
புது ராகமிட்டு

சரணம் 1:

ஆண் கொண்ட தாகம் தீர்க்கின்ற தேகம்
பெண்ணென்ற ஓரினமோ
இது யார் பாவம்

ஆண் செய்த சட்டம் அவர் போட்ட வட்டம்
அதற்கென்று பெண்ணினமோ
இது யார் சாபம்

நியாயங்களோ பொதுவானது
புரியாமல் போனது

சரணம் 2:

பாஞ்சாலி வாழ்ந்த பரிதாப வாழ்வை
பாராட்ட யாருமில்லை
நிஜ வாழ்க்கையிலே

பலபேரைச் சேரும் பரந்தாமன் தன்னை
புகழ் பாடக்கேட்டதுண்டு
இந்த பூமியிலே

நியாயங்களோ பொதுவானது
புரியாமல் போனது

thiraippadal link:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0348'&lang=en

youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzNeGHpI_B0

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:09 am

UravugaL Thodarkathai is the one I sing often. Last summer when we went for camping with some kannadigas, I sang this song and Naguva Nayana and got lot of applause. Very close to me. To be honest, again I don't know who was the lyricist for UravugaL Thodarkathai till today. Very embarrassed seeing this song in this thread. Embarassed Thanks App for clearing all the clouds in front of us. Very sorry GA sir!.

Atleast from the style, I could conclude that Panner PushpangaLE is infact GA.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 pm

You're welcome V_Sji Smile

I'm glad we're finally showcasing GA...somehow, this guy didn't get the necessary focus during all those tfmpage years. Like I mentioned before, the vinyl covers happened to be the catalyst Smile

Interesting to note that we haven't touched many SPB numbers so far Rolling Eyes Just one vaigaRaiyil IIRC.

Even the next choice happens to be a KJY number...

Last edited by app_engine on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:09 pm

Perhaps the first Vijayakanth movie to have rAsA music. And the lovely Shobha with him on screen in the movie 'agal viLakku'. This number used to be played so often on IOKS and I had to sharply focus my ears to the "valve" radio to catch the lovely bass guitar twist during the first interlude Smile

While the instrumental music, melody and the KJY voice are exotic, one has to admit that the pAdal varikaL too play a role in making one fly when listening to the song! GA gets decent marks for lines that nicely jell with the melody. Also to his credit is careful avoidance of any irritating word / phrase! The phrase "smooth flow" fits this song in every respect Smile

பல்லவி

ஏதோ நினைவுகள் கனவுகள் மனதிலே மலருதே
காவேரி ஊற்றாகவே காற்றோடு காற்றாகவே
தினம் காண்பது தான் ஏதோ..

சரணம் 1

மார்பினில் நானும் மாறாமல் சேரும்
காலம் தான் வேண்டும்
வான்வெளி எங்கும் என் காதல் கீதம்
பாடும் நாள் வேண்டும்
தேவைகள் எல்லாம் தீராத நேரம்
தேவன் நீ வேண்டும்
சேரும் நாள் வேண்டும்

சரணம் 2

நாடிய சொந்தம் நாம் காணும் பந்தம்
இன்பம் பேரின்பம்
நாளொரு வண்ணம் நாம் காணும் எண்ணம்
ஆஹா ஆனந்தம்
காற்றினில் செல்லும் என் காதல் எண்ணம்
ஏங்கும் என்னாளும்
ஏக்கம் உள்ளாடும்

thiraippAdal link:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0124'&lang=en

youtube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPxNqvnEDXQ

Last edited by app_engine on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Another evergreen KJY number whole pAdal varikaL have been written by GA...this one has the lovely SJ singing with him. The movie was a PA production and he wrote all other songs except this number. IMO, in that album, this one had the best melody / music by rAsA. Especially, the percussion part is out of the world!

Though the movie -that had Surya's daddy and Karthika's mummy in the main roles -flopped miserably, the songs were held high by IRFs and others alike. Recent rAsA concert with Jaya TV had KJY singing this number (with KSC?). I don't remember what all got talked about this song (by Prakash Raj and others). Those who've saved it in their minds (or can watch the youtube again) please confirm if there was any mention of GA Embarassed

oru rAgam pAdalOdu kAdhil kEttadhO (Anandha rAgam, KJY-SJ)

பல்லவி

ஒரு ராகம் பாடலோடு காதில் கேட்டதோ
மனதோடு ஊஞ்சல் ஆடுதோ
தினம்- உறங்காமல் வாடுதே
சுகம் உறவாட தேடுதே
ஓ நெஞ்சமே ஓராயிரம் சுகம் இது.

சரணம் 1

மாலை நேரக் காற்றில் மகிழ்ந்தாடும் தென்னங்கீற்றே
மாலை சூடி நாளும் என ஆளும் தெய்வம் நீயே

காதல் தேவி எங்கே? தேடும் நெஞ்சம் அங்கே
தேரில் போகும் தேவதை நேரில் வந்த நேரமே
என் உள்ளம் இன்று வானில் போகுதே

சரணம் 2

ஏதோ நூறு ஜென்மம் ஒன்று சேர்ந்து வந்த சொந்தம்
வாழும் காலம் யாவும் துணையாக வேண்டும் என்றும்

காலம் தந்த பந்தம், காதல் என்னும் கீதம்
ஜீவனாக கேட்குதே சேர்ந்து இன்பம் கூட்டுதே
வராத காலம் வந்து சேர்ந்ததே

thiraippAdal (you got to listen at least once right now, to appeciate the percussion and the lovey voices of KJY & SJ):

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0056'&lang=en

youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMEMlyPcmxQ

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:08 am; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:32 pm

Just now watched the youtube of the KJY number 'kanavil midhakkum' from EVK. It happens to be the title song (Though I've watched this movie at the time of release, don't remember anything now...)

While the vinyl confirms that the 'kanavil midhakkum' song was written by GA, his name appears twice on titles:

Yes, once telling that he did a 'gaurava vEdam' - means GA showed up on screen in this movie where the protagonist is a singer. (It's possible Pratap goes to the MD GA asking for chance or something like that).

His name is also shown in the list of pAdal AsiriyarkaL. It's shown on TOP i.e. above VM who actually wrote 3 songs in that album compared to the only one by GA. That clearly identifies the respect GA got those days (1982) for both being senior in the field & being the brother of IR Smile

The lines are quite interesting! They fit the melody (which is somewhat not a "regular" kind) quite well while also maintaining some "thaththuva" feel Laughing Suffice to say it proves the versatility with which GA could pen lines those days (from a marijuana-doped "kanavi midhakkum" to nAdan "kappakkizhangu" to soft romantic "oru rAgam pAdalOdu" to pathos "vaigaraiyil")...

பல்லவி

கனவில் மிதக்கும் இதயம் முழுதும்
புது ராகம் உருவாகும்
தினம்தோறும் எண்ணத்தின் இன்பத்திலே
எங்கெங்கும் வண்ணங்களே

சரணம் 1

ஏ..இளம் மனதே இசை பாடும் சுகங்கள்
ஓ..தொடர்ந்தாடும் பல கனவே புது நினைவே
உன் எண்ணங்கள் எங்கெங்கும்
ஊர்கோலம் போகின்ற காலம் இனிக்கும்

சரணம் 2

உன் சிறு இதயம் அது உந்தன் உலகம்
உன் மனம் போல விளையாடு உறவாடு
நீ என்றென்றும் எங்கெங்கும்
காண்கின்ற எல்லாமும் இன்பம்

thiraippAdal link here:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0690'&lang=en

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:02 pm

I was pleasantly surprised to see this link when googling to get one version or other of the pAdal varikaL of 'metti oli kAtROdu en nenjaith thAlAtta':

http://orukavithai.com/thiraikavithai/752-mettioli

This website is focussing on kavidhai and it's nice to see movie songs getting their due there. While I may not like some of the songs they've chosen to highlight (personal taste problems), at the minimum, that they recognize film songs as some form of ilakkiyam is noteworthy.

Also, they've placed this song written by GA -which is some kind of recognition for him from "literary" circles! Feels good Smile While such places on the web may not host many of his songs (mainly due to awareness issues), we need to welcome whatever gets done today. Also, when possible, we can post comments there / send them more info etc. to add more of GA songs.

Now, when I source the pAdal varikaL from web, I don't simply copy-paste into our thread but try to give the song a fresh listen, make necessary corrections and then fit into "my format" (which does not repeat pallavi or other duplicates, does not include swara / humming etc) Smile

The first line of this song created some comments at the time of arrival - have any of you heard "metti oli" unless it had kolusu style maNi / salangai attached? I clearly remember Mahendran defending the line in some mag - stating that it has a menmaiyAna oli and also adding that there's this "figurative" oli.

Funnily enough, all that got forgotten when the movie bombed (of course, the song was a hit). Sun TV, after many years, caught that 'metti oli' phrase and used it for a serial that ran for years I think Laughing That way, many of GA coinages for pallavi lines had "after effects" (Remember the Vijayakanth movie 'sendhoorappoovE'?). Such "after effects" are indeed credits to any kavingar!

பல்லவி

மெட்டி ஒலி காற்றோடு என் நெஞ்சைத் தாலாட்ட
மேனி ஒரு பூவாக மெல்லிசையின் பாவாக
கோதை மலர்ப் பூம்பாதம் வாவென்னுதே

சரணம் 1

வாழ்நாளெல்லாம் உன்னோடு தான் வாழ்ந்தாலே போதும்
வாழ்வென்பதின் பாவங்களை நாம் காண வேண்டும்
நாளும் பல நன்மை காணும் எழில் பெண்மை
பூவை வைத்த பூவாசம் போதை கொண்ட உன் நேசம்
தென்றல் சுகம் தான் வீசும் தேடாமல் சேராதோ

சரணம் 2

பெண் முல்லையே என் கண்மணி ஊர்கோல நேரம்
உன் காலடி படும்போதிலே பூந்தென்றல் பாடும்
பார்வை பட்ட காயம் பாவை தொட்டுக் காயும்
எண்ணம் தந்த முன்னோட்டம் என்று அந்த வெள்ளோட்டம்
கண்ட பின்பு கொண்டாட்டம் கண்டாடும் என் நெஞ்சம்

(I see kalingaththupparaNi kadai thiRappu again here, in the second saraNam where it talks about "பார்வை பட்ட காயம் பாவை தொட்டுக் காயும்"...of course, the SeyankoNdAr version is adults only variety Laughing)

The lovely IR song with SJ humming on thiraippAdal:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2048'&lang=en

youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUAnBCPD47M

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:49 pm

One more GA number from metti - this one with a lot of complications in the mettu.

'sandhakkavikaL pAdidum manadhinil inbakkanavukaLE' - this tongue-twister was sung by Brahmanandhan! (He sings like a typical Malayali!) Yet another song that proves how competent lyricist this GA is, especially when in company with the master composer rAsA!

I've already started feeling that some words find frequent use in GA's songs (I mean not his themmAngu numbers or mAnE thEnE...these words are frequent among his more sophisticated ones that are somewhat "literary").

A couple of such repeattu words are kanavu (or kanavukaL), rAgam, thALam Smile GA seems to use them quite a bit (apart from the already maligned 'poo/poovu/puippam'). If one walks thru the pAdal varikaL that I've posted so far (already 17 songs and now writing on the 18th), there are quite a few kanavu / rAgam / thALam besides poo. Well, it seems every kavi has his own set of mAnE / thEnE / dhAham / dhEham/ vErvai Laughing

Well, we can call GA as munnOdi to Dr A Kalam! (I mean in 'kanavu kANal' Laughing )

பல்லவி

சந்தக் கவிகள் பாடிடும் மனதினில்
இன்பக்கனவுகளே
சொந்தம் தர வரும் ஆனந்தம்
சிந்தும் கவிமழை ஆரம்பம்
தோன்றாத பேரின்பம்
தொடர்ந்துவரும் என்னுடனே
தினம் பல

சரணம் 1

சின்னஞ் சிறுவயது
பாடும் அவள் மனது
சீர்காண வேண்டும்
திருநாளும் வர வேண்டும்
மலர்மாலை சூடும்
உறவோடு கூடும்
என் உள்ளம் கண்டாடும் உறவுகளில்
இனிய சுகம் தினம் பல

சரணம் 2

தட்டும் ஒலி இசையில்
மெட்டிக் கவிதை தரும்
என் அன்பு நெஞ்சில்
புதுராகம் அது பாடும்
மடை போல ஓடும்
மனதோடு கூடும்
என் உள்ளம் கண்டாடும் உறவுகளில்
இனிய சுகம் தினம் பல

thiraippAdal link for this violin / drums(synth?) sweetie:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2050'&lang=en

youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d60RMwLCc0c

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:29 pm

Let's continue with some more work that GA did for Mahendran. However, not for the metti kinds...instead, for some nicer films.

IMO, following are Mahendran's "nicer" films:

muLLum malarum / udhirippookkaL / Johny / nenjaththaikkiLLAthE (Ofcourse first two of these movies can make it to the top 10 movies of most serious TF lovers / connossieurs)

Let me not get into 'muLLum malarum' right now as both the songs that GA penned there can be considered 'themmAngu' variety (Raman ANdAlum / niththam niththam).

My current plan is to finish off all the hit songs that are not typically classified as nAttuppuRappAttu. (Well, there is already an exception in kotha mallippoovE but that song is a cross-genre one and cannot be that easily dismissed as dappAnguththu).

Once I've exhausted such "sophisticated" numbers, we'll talk about the rustic ones of GA Smile

With no song credited to him for uthirippookkaL, let's focus on Johny.

Easily one of the best-ever albums of rAsA. As usual, it's not difficult to guess who would have written 'Asaya kAththula thoodhu vittu' Smile However, that'll be part of the themmAngu / tribal / nAttuppuRa listtu that we'll get to later on (however sophisticated rAsA made it sound Laughing )

Of the other four songs of Johny, only one has been credited to Kavingar (i.e. Kannadasan) as per musicalaya LP cover - en vAnilE orE veNNilA. Leaving that out, three more sophi numbers are with GA Smile Some purists won't like engipees words in Thamizh poems and will come after my blood if I write high praises for senorita (actually "snow" reetA Laughing ). So, leave that one out and we still have two great gems from that album by GA!

As usual, our friend "gAnAprabhA" misses GA in his slAgippu of 'kAtRil endhan geetham kANAdha onRaith thEduthE':

http://videospathy.blogspot.com/2009/09/blog-post.html

Some other websites claim this song to be written by KD. However, there are websites that credit this to GA as well. For e.g. I found a blog dedicated to GA with the name gangaikkaraiththOttam that includes this number!

Either way, let me go with the LP cover available now and attach this one to GA...What a lovely poetry this one is (ofcourse the regular repeat words rAgam / thALam / geetham etc can be found)!

பல்லவி

காற்றில் எந்தன் கீதம்
காணாத ஒன்றைத் தேடுதே
அலை போல நினைவாக
சில்லென்று வீசும் மாலை நேரக்காற்றில் எந்தன் கீதம்
காணாத ஒன்றைத் தேடுதே

சரணம் 1

எங்கெங்கும் இன்பம் அது கோலம் போட
என் உள்ள வீணை ஒரு ராகம் தேட
அன்புள்ள நெஞ்சைக் காணாதோ
ஆனந்த ராகம் பாடாதோ
கண்கள் ஏங்க நெஞ்சின் தாபம் மேலும் ஏற்றும்

சரணம் 2

நில்லென்று சொன்னால் மனம் நின்றால் போதும்
நீங்காத நெஞ்சில் அலை ஒய்ந்தால் போதும்
மோனத்தில் ராகம் கேளாதோ
மௌனத்தில் தாளம் போடாதோ
வாழும் காலம் யாவும் இங்கே நெஞ்சம் தேடும்

thiraippAdal:
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1281'&lang=en
youtube:

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:13 pm

One of the songs that showed Sridevi beautiful (with Ashok Kumar's camera & rAsA music) is the "intro" song in Johny. Yes, there's Suruli interruption when we get as annoyed as the Johny character Laughing Otherwise, it's a lovely scene and Rajinikanth looks stylish too.

There had been doubts / discussions as to if this was sung by Sujatha or Jency (in tfmpage and elsewhere in the hub, I see this song with youtube getting featured in many blogs - very popular on the net and here and there this confusion is discussed as well). Now, we know for a fact that there is AT LEAST ONE VERSION by Jency! (Going by the musicalaya vinyl cover hosting and also my revised "listening experience" focussing more on the ra-Ra's that authenticate Jency singing). Whether there's a Sujatha version or not is something I'll no more worry about Smile

Lovely, sophisticated lines - GA scores nicely in this one too (rAgam thALam kanavu notwithstanding) Smile

பல்லவி

ஒரு இனிய மனது இசையை அணைத்துச் செல்லும்
இன்பம் புது வெள்ளம்
அந்த சுகம் இன்பசுகம் அந்த மனம் எந்தன் வசம்

சரணம் 1

ஜீவனானது இசை நாதமென்பது முடிவில்லாதது
வாழும் நாளெல்லாம் என்னை வாழ வைப்பது இசை என்றானது
ஆஹா ஆஹாஹா எண்ணத்தின் ராகத்தின் மின்ஸ்வரங்கள்
என் உள்ள மோனத்தின் சங்கமங்கள் இழைந்தோடுது இசை பாடுது

சரணம் 2

மீட்டும் எண்ணமே சுவையூட்டும் வண்ணமே மலர்ந்த கோலமே
ராக பாவமே அதில் சேர்ந்த தாளமே மனதின் தாபமே
ஆஹா ஆஹாஹா பருவ வயதின் கனவிலே பறந்து திரியும் மனங்களே
கவி பாடுங்கள் உறவாடுங்கள்

thiraippAdal link:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1282'&lang=en

youtube:

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:53 pm

May be the GA interview being discussed in the thread below was one of those things that irritated IRFs:

http://tfmpage.com/forum/cgi-bin/list_or.pl?start=/home/forumh3/tfmpage/www/forum/27969.22.42.50.html&all=1

(GA's interview is not in that link but only the tfmpage discussions related to that)

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:59 pm

Much like Johny, GA wrote all songs except one for Mahendran's nenjaththaikkiLLAthE!

Only 'paruvamE puthiya pAdal pAdu' was by PA while the other three were by GA. (Well, it's not tough to guess the 'mummy pEru mAri' song but the other two numbers aren't easy to associate with GA, unless specifically told!)

That way, we're hitting the second SPB song in this thread, which is our 21st song in this "nice-GA-lyrics-for-rAsA-series'!

Thanks to disk.box, didn't have to search around for an accurate copy of the lyrics...reproducing in my format here:

பல்லவி

உறவெனும் புதிய வானில்
பறந்ததே இதய மோகம்
ஓடும் அலை என மனம் போகும்
கனவிலும் நினைவிலும் புது சுகம்

சரணம் 1

பார்வை ஒவ்வொன்றும் கூறும் பொன்காவியம்
பாவை என்கின்ற கோலம் பெண் ஓவியம்
மாலை வரும்போதிலே
நாளும் உந்தன் தோளிலே
கனவிலாடும் நினைவு யாவும் இனிய பாவம்

சரணம் 2

நெஞ்சின் உள்ளூற ஓடும் என் ஆசைகள்
நேரம் இல்லாமல் நாளும் உன் பூஜைகள்
எந்தன் மனம் எங்கிலும்
இன்பம் அது சங்கமம்
இணைந்த கோலம் இனிய கோலம் இளமைக் காலம்

I've written before about the excellence of this song in the SPB-IR series HERE !

Though I haven't mentioned there anything about GA, in a subsequent post I told :

GA has done ok job of unobtrusive lines

However, when I take a closer look at the words today, I can't dismiss it that easily! It's loaded with 'uruvagams' Shocked uRavu is given the metaphor of puthiya vAnam and manam is given the metaphor of running wave! Interesting to note that he controlled his urge to make idhayam as 'mEgham' but modified the portion into 'idhaya mOgam', thereby increasing the beauty of the poetry! He continues with kOlam as metaphor for pAvai...all lovely, pleasant usage that adds to the haunting effect of the song!

thiraippAdal link:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2343'&lang=en

youtube:

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  SenthilVinu Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:42 am

ur doing a fantastic service to this very under rated artist. Never knew he had so many good songs. It seems MGR asked him if he really did write "Neela Vaanam Odaiyil". Poor GA. People judge him by his jovial outlook.

I actually think he is a very good composer too. SPB mentioned this in couple of forums. Here's segment that shows how he got inspired by "Andhi Mazhai" and has actually done justice to it. @ 6:17 secs.

Continue this work... cheers

SenthilVinu

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:56 pm

nanRi, SenthilVinu!

Like most of us here, me too am getting surprised seeing so many hit numbers that I've earlier mentally associated with other kavingars Embarassed

It's definitely a nice new experience digging thru the vinyl covers and other resources to find hits penned by GA !

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:41 pm

No big menakkedal needed from me for the next song. That's because I've already posted extensively on that number in the IR-PS thread as the first one there.

Eh thenRalE ini nALum pAda vA...

Starting with this post , I've written a series of posts musing on the greatness of that nenjaththaik kiLLina song! So, please feel free to visit that thread and check those posts, that contain the lyric / audio link / youtube and more Smile

BTW, Eh thenRalE is the 22nd lovely song written by GA under rAsA music that we have so far featured in this thread!

And, I already have identified a few more evergreen / great numbers to follow...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:43 pm

High time I made a playlist of these GA penned songs, thanks App for unearthing these gems from the lyrics perspective.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:27 pm

yw, rajkumarc!

BTW, that Mano interview of GA is quite interesting Smile nanRi SenthilVinu for the link!

(Nice to note that vAzhvE mAyam's "vandhanam" got inspired from IR's composing session of "andhi mazhai" for rAjapArvai)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:11 pm

GA seems to have terrific success with the "yearning" kind of female solos during the initial days of IR.

We've already noticed 'kAtRil endhan geetham' of SJ - which had phenomenal success and is enjoyed for decades, even now, by music lovers. The first of IR-Jaya TV concerts had this one sung by Shreya Goshal (who brilliantly corrected her error during the course of singing the song on stage!).

Let's look at another number of this genre - this one by VJ. Once again the word 'geetham' is a mainstay in the pallavi. However, other than that, the main content doesn't appear to be the same as the song for Sridevi. While that one had the heroine longing to meet her lover of youth, this one may be for a different kind of situation (I suspect an adulterous one).

Regardless, there're no explicit emotions in the lines themselves - which try to keep it as much subtle, confused, embedded etc as possible. Definitely not an outburst kind to a normal listener. Even the melody / instrumental portions keep the whole setting in some kind of mystery. (As usual, VJ's singing gives no clue to any emotions - she's always about technical precision in a teacharammA way. What the character actually feels / wants to convey etc typically never gets manifested in her singing - which holds true here too, IMHO).

ennuLLil engO Engum geetham En kEtkiRadhu of rOsAppoo ravikkaikkAri

Let's look at the lines:

பல்லவி

என்னுள்ளில் எங்கோ ஏங்கும் கீதம் ஏன் கேட்கிறது?
ஏன் வாட்டுது?
ஆனால் அதுவும் ஆனந்தம்!

சரணம் 1

என் மன கங்கையில் சங்கமிக்க சங்கமிக்க பங்குவைக்க
பொங்கிடும் பூம்புனலில்
பொங்கிடும் அன்பெனும் பூம்புனலில்
போதையிலே மனம் பொங்கி நிற்க தங்கி நிற்க
காலம் இன்றே சேராதோ

சரணம் 2

மஞ்சளைப் பூசிய மேகங்களே மேகங்களே மோகங்களே
மல்லிகை மாலைகளே
மல்லிகை முல்லையின் மாலைகளே
மார்கழி மாதத்துக் காலைகளே சோலைகளே
என்றும் என்னைக் கூடாயோ

Someone has commented in the Ravi Aditya blog that this was by Pulamaippiththan. That is how a number of great songs written by GA are discredited by many Mad (Per vinyl cover, it's clearly GA).

thiraippAdal link:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3145'&lang=en

youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF2eEIwQb24

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:10 pm

One significant album whose vinyl cover pic is missing from the musicalaya website is panneer pushpangaL. (At the minimum, my eyes could not spot it - if someone else can identify this somewhere in that website, please post the link Smile )

Though the wiki page says all pAdalkaL were written by GA, I didn't want to base my post totally on a wiki article. (Many wiki articles contain countless errors.) So, googled around for the vinyl cover - without any success. Finally, decided to watch the movie, hoping to catch the names of lyricists on the title credits. youtube has it in parts Smile

Fortunately, since there's only one lyricist in the titles, we can happily credit all the songs to him Smile

It appears GA was associated in a number of ways to that film, not simply as a lyricist only! The very first title slide shows "கங்கை அமரன் வழங்கும் (or அளிக்கும்)" - meaning he either produced it or financed it.  

The other interesting thing that caught my eye in the titles is Vani (Kamalahasan) as the costume designer Shocked I thought she did that job only for Kamal's movies...It's possible that Kamal was some kind of consultant to this movie (smell the Santhana Bharathy connection).

Well, in continuation of our female solos (yearning or otherwise), let's host one of the most successful songs written by GA in his career - 'Anandha rAgam kEtkum kAlam'! This must be UR's biggest hit after poongathavE (which was possibly her first film song). Both were instant hits when arrived and are fondly remembered right to this day! rAgA experts classify 'Anandha rAgam' to be based on simhEndra madhyamam . The song can also boast of some terrific WCM string arrangements by rAsA.

The pAdal varikaL totally align with the thuLLal melody and orchestration (as usual, there's this rAgam / thALam / bhAvam words Laughing ) :

பல்லவி

ஆனந்த ராகம் கேட்கும் காலம்
கீழ் வானிலே ஒளி தான் தோன்றுதே
ஆயிரம் ஆசையில் உன் நெஞ்சம் பாடாதோ

சரணம் 1

துள்ளி வரும் உள்ளங்களில் தூது வந்து தென்றல் சொல்ல
தோன்றும் எங்கும் இன்பத்தின் ஆனந்தத்தாளங்களே
வெள்ளிமலைக்கோலங்களை அள்ளிக்கொண்ட மேகங்களை
காணும் நெஞ்சில் பொங்கட்டும் சந்தத்தின் பாவங்களே
கள்ளம் இன்றி உள்ளங்கள் துள்ளி எழ
கட்டிக்கொண்ட எண்ணங்கள் மெல்ல விழ
ராகங்கள் பாட தாளங்கள் போட வானெங்கும் போகாதோ

சரணம் 2

வண்ண வண்ண எண்ணங்களும் வந்துவிழும் உள்ளங்களும்
வானின் மீது ஊர்வலம் போகின்ற காலங்களே
சின்ன சின்ன மின்னல்களும் சிந்தனையின் பின்னல்களும்
சேரும்போது தோன்றிடும் ஆயிரம் கோலங்களே
இன்று முதல் இன்பங்கள் பொங்கி வரும்
இந்தமனம் எங்கெங்கும் சென்று வரும்
காவிய ராகம் காற்றினில் கேட்கும் காலங்கள் ஆரம்பம்

The song received a Hindi avatar in 2006 when RGV remade his Telugu Shiva...rAsA retained the orchestration pretty much the same but unfortunately changed it to a duet Mad IMHO, it would have been lovelier as a Shreya Goshal solo!

thiraippAdal link:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2657'&lang=en

youtube (Shanthi Krishna / Suresh) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNiOQt1FF48

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:23 pm

Well, we've reached a mini landmark with this post...of reaching the 25th hit song penned by GA under rAsA's music! A lovely SPB-SJ number from panneer pushpangaL!

poonthaLirAda Smile

Let me once again copy-paste what jaiganesh wrote about this song once upon a time :

jaiganesh wrote:

poonthaLir aada...
It struck me in the end of the second interlude. If there is one song to bear all the Ilaiyaraaja stamps of his 80s phase - it has to be this one.
prelude with a catchy counterpoints and harmony - Check
chorus doing a counterpoint and singing out a melody that is heavenly - Check
majestic violins with sections playing different melody - Check.
Ok - lets do the same with vocal counterpoints from lead singers - Check.
Rakshasa singers SPB adn SJ - having their saamrajyam in the song - Check.
Some electronica and different melody for the interludes - Check.
Lets pause the entire thing for a while and create an effect - check.
some awesome lyrics - check.

Only thing missing is a single carnatic violin and an aaalaap by raaja or TVG.
I think everything else is almost covered.
It seemed like some1 asked Raaja "whats new in your music" and Raaja did the song to simply tell them ' TAKE THAT'.
The ultimate benefactor was P.Vasu and Santhana bharathy!!!
This is one song I want to listen before I die or loose my sense of hearing...

It's nice to see jai acknowledging GA as "some awesome lyrics" Smile

BTW, my post in the SPB-IR thread on this song is HERE Smile

pAdal varikaL (GA can do collar thookkifying, but there's this keyword "rAgam" Laughing ):

பல்லவி

பூந்தளிராட பொன்மலர் சூட
சிந்தும் பனி வாடைக் காற்றில்
கொஞ்சும் இரு காதல் நெஞ்சம்
பாடும் புது ராகங்கள் இனி நாடும் சுபகாலங்கள்

சரணம் 1

காதலை ஏற்றும் காலையின் காற்றும்
நீரைத் தொட்டுப் பாடும் பாட்டும் காதில் பட்டதே
வாலிப நாளில் வாசனைப் பூவின்
வாடை பட்டு வாடும் நெஞ்சில் எண்ணம் சுட்டதே
கோடிகள் ஆசை கூடிய போது
கூடும் நெஞ்சிலே கோலம் இட்டதே
தேடிடுதே தென் காற்றின் ராகம்

சரணம் 2

பூமலர் தூவும் பூமரம் நாளும்
போதை கொண்டு பூமி தன்னைப் பூஜை செய்யுதே
பூவிரலாலும் பொன்னிதழாலும்
பூவை எண்ணம் காதல் என்னும் இன்பம் பெய்யுதே
பூமழை தூவும் வெண்ணிற மேகம்
பொன்னை அள்ளுதே வண்ணம் நெய்யுதே
ஏங்கிடுதே என் ஆசை எண்ணம்

thiraippAdal link:
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2659'&lang=en

youtube (nice visuals, don't miss):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crO9G1iUzGI

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:42 pm

VM-IR re-union is something people want to happen/look forward to. Lets start from home - I want IR-GA reunion (after this revelatory thread - thanks to appengine)

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:03 pm

#26 - kOdai kAlakkARRE (panneer pushpagaL again)

One of the best ever numbers sung by MV. A guitar sweetie Smile

I can't help but bring the NEPV launch concert once again Embarassed From 0:57:00, Gautam brings the guitarist to stage (who pays obeisance to IR prior to his stunts), telling that he'll be pleased if IR renders at least the pallavi of some 5 songs which are his favourites...and the first one is "kOdai kAlakkAtRE" Smile

It's quite interesting to note that IR remembers the song's situation in the movie (should have been good enough to get that recall value as IR had composed literally thousands of songs and not all could possibly be recalled that way)! Jaya TV cameraman proves to be smart here as he captures Santhanabharathy - one of the fim's directors - humming along Smile

The most interesting part comes at the end of rAsA's singing when he asks Premji to certify him if he had sung it correctly Shocked And Premji is overjoyed (so is his brother Venkat Prabhu who had a few successful movies as director recently - both these are sons of Gangai Amaran who penned the song and was possibly the movie's producer...It's not difficult to see that these fellows are so happy to be in the limelight momentarily in their periyappA's function) Smile

BTW, kOdai kAlakkARRu is not necessarily always pleasant in the plains. While it could be so soothing in the evening after a hot summer day on occasions, it could also prove to be "அனல் காற்று" at times and extremely intolerable. (safer to write this phrase in Thamizh Laughing ) OTOH, it's definitely ALWAYS pleasant in Ooty - WOW, one can simply feel it on the face during a neelagiri summer, so lovely and enjoyable! As the movie's setting is in the malaikaLin arasi, it's quite fitting and very appropriate Smile

The pAdal varikaL are as enjoyable as the music, MV's lovely voice and the summer wind of Ooty! Look at them :

பல்லவி

கோடைகாலக் காற்றே குளிர் தென்றல் பாடும் பாட்டே
மனம் தேடும் சுவையோடு தினம்தோறும் இசை பாடு
அதைக் கேட்கும் நெஞ்சமே சுகம் கோடி காணட்டும்
இவைகள் இளமாலைப் பூக்களே புது சோலைப் பூக்களே

சரணம் 1

வானில் போகும் மேகம் இங்கே யாரைத் தேடுதோ
வாசம் வீசும் பூவின் ராகம் யாரைப் பாடுதோ
தன் உணர்வுகளை மெல்லிசையாக
நம் உறவுகளை வந்து கூடாதோ
இது நாளும் கூடட்டும் சுகம் தேடி ஆடட்டும்

சரணம் 2

ஏதோ ஒன்றைத் தேடும் நெஞ்சம் இங்கே கண்டதே
ஏங்கும் கண்ணில் தோன்றும் இன்பம் இங்கே என்றதே
பெண் மலையருவி பன்னீர் தூவி பொன் மலை அழகின்
சுகம் ஏற்காதோ இவை யாவும் பாடங்கள் இனிதான வேதங்கள்

thiraippAdal has listed this song (which even shows as "playing") but no audio is heard Embarassed There must be a snag and I don't know how to communicate to them to fix it...

youtube (while "paLich" versions are available for the other two numbers from this movie, couldn't find a similar one for kOdai kAlakkAtRE Embarassed ):
(As of June 2016, those paLich versions are gone - so all are looking similar on youtube Embarassed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypcPeZMlVn4

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:17 am; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:27 pm

#27 thamthana namdhana thALam varum (pudhiya vArppugaL)

Though I was personally sure that this has to be a GA song (thALam varum, rAgam varum, bhAvam varum, kanavukaL etc., simply too many keywords of his lingo Laughing ), many websites / blogs that write about this song have confused me quite a bit. Some say Kavingar Kannadasan and even write eloquent praises to him. Some others credit the song with Muthulingam (perhaps the blogger got convinced that GA cannot write such a song).

The vinyl cover at musicalaya shows this one as GA but not very convincingly Embarassed While it clearly credits 'vAn mEghangaLE' to kavingar and 'idhayam pOguthE' to Muthulingam (those two songs in one side of the disk), it's kind of unclear for the other side of the disk that has 'thamthana' & thiruvizhA kooththu. It does list GA for the side but not explicitly say both songs are by him. Typically it's that way but I wanted to be doubly sure.

So, watched the movie's titles on einthusan.com if that could give a clue. It simply lists all three names as pAdal AsiriyarkaL, not specifying who wrote which song. So, me initiated another search at google for images that landed me on a recent INRECO label in this interesting blog link, that confirms GA as the lyricist of this lovely song! :

http://rajalyricists.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/10/

That's quite an interesting blog I should say, trying to list the names of pAdal AsiriyarkaL for rAsA albums Smile Good service to kavingarkaL, thodarattum avarkaLadhu naRpaNi!

Now, this song - WOW what a lovely one (can't help but exclaim even after 1000's of listens - right from the time of the arrival, this song never fails to amaze me, thrill me, get me soaring etc)!

With this exercise, I'm also dumbfounded at the way words come and sit in the lovely melody - no unnecessary doubling of words, stretching of syllables etc - what a terrific musical kavingar this Amar Singh is! This one is enough to challenge all the big names in the TFM history!

Though Jency and Vasantha did a commendable job singing the torrent of words, one has to strain the ears to catch some words. I was trying to fix the errors / typos etc of one version of the pAdal varikaL I could get from the web and I must say it took me too many listens to identify some words.

Still, there's a confusion on one word of the first line of the second saraNam. Jency sings it first, without chorus harmony in the background and I hear the word as 'malar' in the following line:

சிந்தனை அம்புகள் எய்தது  என்னிடம் வந்துவிழ மலர் சிந்தியெழ

However, when Vasantha repeats it with chorus humming in the background, I defintiely cannot hear it as மலர் but it sounds like some other word (may be kayal but that would be meaningless in that position)! I don't know why rAsA (and BR / GA) allowed such clarity issue there Embarassed

Regardless, it's wonderful poetry as you can see for yourself:

பல்லவி

தம்தன நம்தன தாளம் வரும் புது ராகம் வரும் பல பாவம் வரும்
அதில் சந்தன மல்லிகை வாசம் வரும்
மணமாலை வரும் சுபவேளை வரும்
மணநாள் திருநாள் புதுநாள் உனை அழைத்தது

சரணம் 1

சில்லென மெல்லிய தென்றலும் வந்திசை சொல்லியது சுவை அள்ளியது
மனம் நில்லெனச் சொல்லியும் துள்ளியது
பெண்மனம் பூவிலும் மெல்லியது தவிக்கும் நினைவோ எனைக்கிள்ளியது
மல்லிகை முல்லையில் பஞ்சணையோ மன்னவன் தந்தது நெஞ்சணையோ
மின்னிய மின்னலும் கன்னியின் எண்ணங்களோ இனிக்கனவுகள் தொடர்ந்திட

சரணம் 2

சிந்தனை அம்புகள் எய்தது  என்னிடம் வந்துவிழ மலர் சிந்தியெழ
மனம் மன்னவன் உன்னடி வந்து தொழ
சிந்திய பூமலர் சிந்திவிழ அலைபோல் உணர்வோ தினம் முந்தியெழ
அந்தியில் வந்தது சந்திரனோ சந்திரன் போல் ஒரு இந்திரனோ
முந்திய நாளினில் எந்தனின் முன்பலனோ துணை சுகம் தர சுவை பெற

thiraippAdal links do not play today - either a technical issue or may be finally running into copyright issues Embarassed

youtube link (the infamous beginning of 'veLLai udai dEvathaikaL' in BR's picturizations I think...haven't watched this movie so far, should watch sometime when kids not around as this must be an adult themed film)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QixSF2OUiek

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next