Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maestro's magic in Neethaane En Ponvasantham

+19
raajarasigan
kid_glove
sheepChase
sid_316
jaiganesh
Cinemarasigan
Karthikeyan
Wizzy
Sanjeevi
CF
Bala (Karthik)
HonestRaj
plum
V_S
Sakalakala Vallavar
app_engine
groucho070
sagi
23 posters

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Maestro's magic in Neethaane En Ponvasantham - Page 7 Empty Re: Maestro's magic in Neethaane En Ponvasantham

Post  Karthikeyan Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:24 pm

app sir,

try panna vendaam.. its a kaattu mokkai in Tamil..

but, Telugu-la Nani irukkaan.. that guy is koot.. naan-ee padathulaye avan namma makkal kitta nalla peru vaanginaan.. he might just save it in Telugu.. music ellaa language-layum onnu thaane..
Karthikeyan
Karthikeyan

Back to top Go down

Maestro's magic in Neethaane En Ponvasantham - Page 7 Empty Re: Maestro's magic in Neethaane En Ponvasantham

Post  app_engine Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:26 pm

epdiyellAm review ezhudhurAnga pArunga

படத்தில் வில்லனோ சண்டை காட்சியோ வரவில்லை என்பது குறிப்பிடத்தக்கது.
படத்தில் சண்டை காட்சிகளோ , விறுவிறுப்புகளோ இல்லாதது படத்து குறையாக அமைந்துள்ளது. அதை விட வழமையான மசாலா படங்களை எதிர்பார்பவர்களுக்கு இது ஒரு அலுப்பு தட்டும் படமாகவே அமையும்(அனுபவம்).

lol!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:28 pm

Karthikeyan wrote:app sir,

try panna vendaam.. its a kaattu mokkai in Tamil..

but, Telugu-la Nani irukkaan.. that guy is koot..

Same complex is running both NEPV & YVM in Warren (metro Detroit area)...For IR's sake, I need to pay a visit Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:30 pm

ridiculous reviewer

இளையராஜா ஏதோ புதிதாய் வாய்ப்பு தேடும் இசையமைப்பாளரைப் போல ஒவ்வொரு 5 நிமிடத்துக்கும் ஒரு பாடல் என போட்டிருப்பது அவரைக் கௌரவப்படுத்துவதாய் இல்லை. படத்தில ஆக்சுவல எத்தனை பாடல்கள் சார்? 20? 25? ஏன் இப்படி?

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:44 pm

the VM/ARRF blogger who enjoyed telling "Jeyakanthan's Appu to IR" likes YVM but hates IR

Understandably so Laughing

படம் பார்க்கும் வரை நான் இந்தப் படத்தின் இசையைக் கேட்டதில்லை என்று சொன்னால் நம்புவதற்கு சிரமமாக இருந்தாலும் நம்பத்தான் வேண்டும். இசையைப் பற்றி பெரிதும் மக்கள் பேசுவார்களாயிருக்கும், என்வரையில் இது ரஹ்மான் படம், கௌதம் சொதப்பிட்டார். ஹாரிஸ் ஜெயராஜுக்குப் பரவாயில்லை என்றாலும் கூட. கண்ணை உறுத்தாத ஒளிப்பதிவு படத்தொகுப்பு. இளையராஜா இசை உறுத்துகிறது என் வரையில் சொல்ல முடியவில்லை இதுதான் இந்தப் படத்திற்கான பெஸ்ட் இசையா என்று. படத்தைப் பற்றிச் சொல்ல நிறைய இருந்தாலும் கதை வந்திடுமோ என்கிற பயத்தில் நழுவுகிறேன்

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:52 pm

Sify review

It is Jiiva and Samantha the lead pair who carries the film with effortless charm and sweetness. They both look good on screen and their banter is cute and fresh. Jiiva has come out with a knockout performance as a happy –go-lucky guy who wakes up to his responsibilities. His dialogue delivery is near-perfect and body language, precise.

However, the film belongs to Samantha with a layered performance that brings out her character as a head strong girl who is madly in love with her man. On the downside, NEP meanders at a sluggish pace with a running time of 153 minutes, until absolute exhaustion sets in.

The supporting cast in the film is what makes it tick. Santhanam is a scream as he infuses energy with his smart lines and his natural dialogue delivery. Vidyulekha who comes as Samantha’s best friend and ends up as Santhanam’s girl is good. MS Prabhu and Om Prakash’s camera is eye-catching while Ilayaraja ‘s music especially the BGM goes with the theme of the film. ‘Saindhu, Saindhu…’ and Yennodu Vaa Vaa...are the pick of the lot.

On the whole, NEP has its sparkling moments. Watch it.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  HonestRaj Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:55 pm

plum wrote:honestu - ungaLa mAdhiri iLaignargaL ellAm thavaRAma oru figure-ai thaLlikittu pOi theatrela pAkkaNUm!

like vadivelu in seettu vilayattu comedy..

girl friend / figure irundha nan yean hub forum'nu inge vandhu kuththa vekkiren
HonestRaj
HonestRaj

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:03 am

app_engine wrote: ridiculous reviewer

இளையராஜா ஏதோ புதிதாய் வாய்ப்பு தேடும் இசையமைப்பாளரைப் போல ஒவ்வொரு 5 நிமிடத்துக்கும் ஒரு பாடல் என போட்டிருப்பது அவரைக் கௌரவப்படுத்துவதாய் இல்லை. படத்தில ஆக்சுவல எத்தனை பாடல்கள் சார்? 20? 25? ஏன் இப்படி?
The world is better off without Internet. Ivanungala ellam cull pannanum

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:48 am

watched first half. shud say it is not bad.
focus is stead fast on the lead pair. santhaanam
rocks. vaanam mella and saaindhu are gorgeous.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:14 am

finished the movie.. ppl in the hall were the restless always used to one dance bit followed by terrible manipulation
and heroism. This movie has none of it. In fact it treaded a dangerous line of being devoid of any drama worth
engaging - but then the pre-climax bit came and samantha did absolute stunning job here. Gowtham menon -
has tried a new angle - an upper class girl falling for a middle class guy who is in love with the girl, but conscious
about the class difference that manifests itself into some weird tangles and indifferent behaviour that drives the girl nuts.
It is too sophisticated an angle to thamizh audience who are happy with both of them eloping and end credits with title card
eulogising self sacrificing love. However Gowtham menon wasnt gutsy enough to have appropriate ending - F*ck happy endings ppl.
Raaja's music in this movie is 'over dose' in some portions - post interval block and the lead up to the pre climax segment (involving car)
were filled with one half a song interrupting another half a song - made me wonder is this a broadway stage play or what? could have been
arranged so that the songs would have felt wholesome.
Forgot to add - the movie opens with Santhanam and pudikkale maamu - and the guy simply rocks. (no apologies to santhanam haters).

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:02 pm

(Raja's) Love's labours lost

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:11 pm

It's not a bad film at all, mind you. But it didn't need Ilaiyaraja. That was manipulation, Menon-ji, and you have boxed itself into a corner now.

Menon is a classic no-land man. He has a Mallu sensibility, tempered by a Chennai upper class up-bringing, but spoilt by his inability to fully dive into the machi-maamu chennai college environment.

He is true to his self here. This is self-indulgence. Likeable even for that aspect. But to what avail? Commercially, Raja fans of my vintage cannot really relate to Varun and Nithya and their Besant Nagar background. The Pachaiyappas College youth is not going to really appreciate - and infact, Mayajaal where I watched had only a excursion group from a college apart from us - and they patently didnt like the thayir saadham Varun.

This will be appreciated by Besant Nagar vaazh South Mumbaites in spirit - bet Baradwaj Rangan will go ga-ga over this.

I wouldnt make smart-arse comments on Menon though. It does seem a honest effort, if a tad self-indulgent. But, sorry, you dont have an audience for this here in TN.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:23 pm

During the announcement and initial still-releases, Nerd called Jeeva a thiruvAththAn. I didnt understand, and Nerd/SS kindly explained. I sought of nodded but didnt still get it.
I got my answer today. Nerd/SS - I fully understand, infact, feel what you mean by that term now Smile

And that is the reason I wish I had chosen the Telugu version. Nani would have been truly at home in this character, and I myself would have bought this story much better if it was a Jubilee Hills Nithya Reddy and Himayat Nagar Varun Rao. I can see why this would work perfectly - from the majority audience point of view - in Telugu

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:37 pm

Plum neenga sonna maadhiriyE Rangar likeittaar. Hasn't put up a review yet but see kumki comments.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Karthikeyan Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:51 pm

Nerd wrote:Plum neenga sonna maadhiriyE Rangar likeittaar. Hasn't put up a review yet but see kumki comments.
he is spot on about thambi ramaiah's torture .. he liked nep a lot it seems ..
Karthikeyan
Karthikeyan

Back to top Go down

Post  Karthikeyan Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:53 pm

Brangan is a trade mark curd rice writer though.

NepV has fallen for sure.. Poor response in Cuddalore.
Karthikeyan
Karthikeyan

Back to top Go down

Post  sid_316 Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:57 pm

Marana kodurom! Evil or Very Mad Raja is wasted. Could have just done with the audio launch and the songs.

sid_316

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:06 pm

Aaha enga theater full-a en reaction dhaan. Like unanimous. Aana Plum/jai vera madhiri solreenga. Mmm

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Karthikeyan Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:10 pm

Jai MX classic-nu sonnaaru
Karthikeyan
Karthikeyan

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:05 pm

UnmaiyO illaiyO just louuu this from indhu.

http://thehindu.com/arts/cinema/an-ode-to-ilaiyaraaja/article4203416.ece

We have to save the best part of the movie for the last bit in this review: Ilaiyaraaja.

A self-confessed fan, Gautham has said in interviews that Neethaane En Ponvasantham is about packaging Ilaiyaraaja's music for a new generation. It has been a really long wait for legions of fans to see the music director's glory on the silver screen, save for an odd encore here and there.

It is tough to explain the role music plays not just in movies. Apple's iconic founder Steve Jobs once remarked that he could relate to every important moment of his life through a Bob Dylan or a Beatles song. Most people who grew up watching the Tamil cinema of the 1980s and the 1990s would say the same of Ilaiyaraaja's music.

Neethaane En Ponvasantham is without a doubt the best homage to a man whose music has swayed millions. Not only are the songs outstanding, the manner in which the filmmaker has woven them into the narrative makes them even more special.

In a moment of inspiration, Gautham uses two songs back to back — ‘Kaatrai Konjam’ sung by Karthik and ‘Mudhal Murai’ sung by Sunidhi Chauhan. The ten-minute sequence is a vindication of Ilaiyaraaja's genius.

Neethaane En Ponvasantham is a treat for all Ilaiyaraaja fans. His music elevates a good film by Gautham Vasudev Menon into a must-watch for the season.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Karthikeyan wrote:Jai MX classic-nu sonnaaru
i still stand by it.
andha theme andha stylil edukaradhu remba kshtam

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Periya pillaiya thoonga pannittu varen. While the film was what it was, I have a big regret now. I just didn't lose myself and enjoy the songs. I missed most parts of the 2nd half attending office calls and running behind my toddler, I entered only at the end of pudikkala maam, in the first place . I was too caught up to enjoy the other songs. My 5yr old daughter liked all the songs and the movie itself. However, I was stunned just now to know how much she was into the music, thanks to that man mottai
1. She kept asking me how come she never heard the title song being played/sung by us till now
2. She told me to sing the lines of all sings (Laughing) and when I sang the pallavi . of mudhal murai and went on to the next song, she stopped me prodding me about 'adhula innonnu varume, nee dhaan nu' (chorus)
3. Vaanam mella pallavi I started the background orch and she was like playing the rhythm and saying drums madhiri ippadi varume. This seems to be her favorite in the album
Note: I and my wife mostly listen to NEPV in headphones and even when we wanted to play it out loud for our daughter, maybe a song or two and she had never paid particular attention. All these above are only from the movie.
People who are going to watch the film, just go there and enjoy the music. Ethana peru enna vena sollattum, kindal adikkattum. Namma isai adhan idathula irukkum.

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  sheepChase Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:12 pm

Sudhish Kamath says there is a disconnect between the music and the director's vision. ellArum suththi suththi adippAngannu ninaikkREn.

Night show pOREn

sheepChase

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:21 pm

It's just that the music is intense and heavy and Menon's situations just aren't(except for the characters themselves). I have to intellectually place myself in Varun/Nithya's place to feel the heaviness that the music evokes. Which is kind of unsettling.

This is a tough dynamic - ipdi explain paNNinA puriyudhA? I can appreciate this movie(an BGM) from my head but not from my heart. And being a puppy love story, that's a failure illaiyA?
Rahman fans will obviously phrase it as "Raja's music doesnt suit director's vision". I don't think it is as simple as that.

I too feel a sort of disconnect between music and movie but not at the kind of level that Kamath is talking about - it is more like, it is apt even, but the youth audience is not reacting! The youththu(everyone except me in the theatre was one) were dead silent for Pudikkala Maamu and the amazing veedhi paththadhEy. Whose fault?unnai cholli kuRRamillai...kaalam seidha kolam.

To me, the problem is for a movie like this, you have to connect with the youththu audience. (critically and commercially, I mean). A generation ago, we as youththus would have connected to this music with this movie. But today's youth isnt. They probably want anjala for a soga situation. This is not Raja's fault.

Ramalinga vaLLalAr said "kadai viriththEn koLvArillai". Despite the amazing songs and BGM, that is how I feel for the music of the movie.

That's why I dont blame Menon for this. Audience have regressed over last several years in terms of appreciating music in movies - and Menon himself spearheaded that regression by getting Anjala for that situation in Vaaranam. And he is reaping the sour harvest now of that - unfortunately, our Raja took the bullet for him.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:24 pm

Saying that, I guess a majority of the NEPV bashers (Both our VM/Karki fan friends there and general anti-Raja jenmams as well as general public) are the ones that went like "Thuppakki parava illaiyA, sumAra paravaillAma okvA irukku so adhai super moviennu dhAne sollaNum".

Definitely, I'd rather take NEPV any day over their favourites and I wont give much currency to the "NEPV is slow mokkai" views of such people.

The critique hs to be at a differnt level.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next