Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hindi film music - Old is Gold

+9
fring151
rajkumarc
baroque
Drunkenmunk
crimson king
Usha
kamalaakarsh
V_S
app_engine
13 posters

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Hindi film music - Old is Gold - Page 6 Empty Re: Hindi film music - Old is Gold

Post  crimson king Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:23 am

My favourite from Haqeeqat:

Actually, I think there is an element of MM influence in some of Ilayaraja's compositions.  The ghazal flavour may not be there but the element of mystery and unpredictable choices is certainly there. 

And for those who like the mystery in MM songs, Naushad's Saathi soundtrack is a must.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Hindi film music - Old is Gold - Page 6 Empty Re: Hindi film music - Old is Gold

Post  counterpoint Fri May 02, 2014 7:55 am

Dil Dhoondta Hai Phir wohi fursat ke rat din.....
I always love these kind of clips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy3nkTiSZ6M

where the composer is thinking(or singing) aloud his rough ideas, trying out the alternatives before hitting upon the final version, which is this case was pure gold.
Bhupinder had that deep voice, with a dreamy kind of effect, well suited for Ghazal kind of singing.

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue May 06, 2014 3:12 pm

Nigahen Milane Ko Jee Chahta Hai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBo-wwCttec

indha qawwali  konjam IR's style ai ninaika vaikiradhu.......

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  krraju82 Tue May 13, 2014 9:33 am

Usha wrote:Nigahen Milane Ko Jee Chahta Hai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBo-wwCttec

indha qawwali  konjam IR's style ai ninaika vaikiradhu.......

nalla irukku but I dont know hindi so onnum puriyala....  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad
krraju82
krraju82

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Wed May 14, 2014 5:25 am

Just breathtaking. No words. Madan MOhan seems to have had a fondness for the sitar.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Wed May 14, 2014 2:00 pm

Another song in the same haunting spree from Madan Mohan, Lata and his Sitar Smile Raga Madhuvanthi this time.

Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Thu May 15, 2014 4:23 am

Yes, splendid song. Rasm-e-ulfat, Aaj socha to aansoo and Lag jaa gale have received innumerable F5 clicks from me the last few weeks.  Smile 
Rasm-e-ulfat strikes me as a possible inspiration for Raja's Ennulil engo, which I think is also based on Madhuvanti? IR clearly is a fan of the HFM masters.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu May 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Beautiful, poignant Lata solo from Love in Tokyo.  Probably my favourite from the soundtrack but somehow not as popular as the other tracks.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu May 15, 2014 5:57 pm

fring151 wrote:Rasm-e-ulfat strikes me as a possible inspiration for Raja's Ennulil engo, which I think is also based on Madhuvanti? IR clearly is a fan of the HFM masters.
You're right Smile
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat May 17, 2014 6:36 pm

fring151 wrote: IR clearly is a fan of the HFM masters.

Speaking of which, that is the other, underrated source material for IR.  We talk about his grasp of Tamil folk music, Carnatic as well as Western music.  But to achieve his unique brand of Indo-Western synthesis, he had to also incorporate the more understated, sophisticated inflections of HFM which, in my carefully considered opinion, are not so evident in MSV's work, more so MSV solo while it comes through at times in MSV-TKR.  Emotionally speaking, the MSV approach had more limited dimensions compared to HFM (which is why to this day my interest in it is somewhat limited beyond appreciating the vocal melody itself which is often very good).  HFM covered a wide array of romantic hues and IR captured that quality and even expanded on it, taking it to unprecedented heights (because he is IR!).  My father has often said the effect of SPB singing sweetly on melodic Raja numbers is evocative of Rafi and I agree, especially songs like Enna Satham, Kaalai Nera Poonguyil.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sun May 18, 2014 1:45 am

That's a good point. IR though, often talks about his indebtedness to and fondness of HFM composers. Agree also about SPB's singing. He himself has often said Rafi is his favourite singer, so the influence is definitely there.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sun May 18, 2014 3:35 am

Def, IR has been very forthcoming in acknowledging his debt to HFM but perhaps because his audience is mainly from the South, it is not highlighted enough.  It is also less obvious than his Western influence because Hindustani and Carnatic share more similarities and the differences are nuanced.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sun May 18, 2014 3:42 am

Very nice interludes on this one.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Fri May 23, 2014 10:57 am

Another beautiful, poignant, evocative MM song. There is a strange sort of allure to these compositions almost making one nostalgic for a past that never was. Glad to have been introduced to his music thanks to CK, DM and other forummers. 

My favourite MM songs thus far, in no particular order:

Aap ki nazaron
Lag jaa gale
Jo hamne daastan
Chirag dil ka
Rasm-e-ulfat
zaraa si aahat
Mere pyaar mein

P.S: More recos please  Smile 

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri May 23, 2014 7:25 pm

fring151 wrote:
P.S: More recos please  Smile 
Another MM lovely. Guessing this is one Aalayamaniyin Osai Naan Ketten situation. MM with his Sitar is in his element again:

Another favorite from my collection. Naina Barse Rim Jhim (which Veda copied into Tamil as Naane Varuven Razz ):

Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri May 23, 2014 7:29 pm

One of my absolute favourites of MM is the unreleased Kaise Kategi Zindagi Tere Bagair.  Indeed.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri May 23, 2014 7:30 pm

Some classical MM

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat May 24, 2014 9:39 am

Great. "Nainon me badraa chaaye" is added to my playlist now. Thanks!

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Tue May 27, 2014 8:06 am

Heard this lovely Salil Chowdhury song on radio today after ages.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Tue May 27, 2014 5:06 pm

^^^  One of my favourites of Salil da, certainly.

Reminds me (randomly and not because of any similarity) of another of RDB's quirky, under-appreciated songs.  

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue May 27, 2014 6:44 pm

Reminds me of my most favorite Hindi earworm of these days. Salilda again here. Only 2 words. Master tunesmith:

Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Wed May 28, 2014 3:49 am

Love that song. Anand is a masterpiece album. "Naa jaane kyon" is actually in the same vein as "Zindagi kaisi hai paheli".

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat May 31, 2014 6:45 pm

And created one small playlist based on that Anand song and one kutti discussion I had with Raaga_Suresh, Plum and one @diogeneb on twitter, starting with Salilda and ending with IR. Not exactly old Hindi but old Bengali (includes one Rabindra Sangeet influenced by Muthuswami Deekshithar Smile), old Hindi and IR and some of the his influences in Hindi and some of my all time favorite Hindi and Bengali songs thrown in:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn4GJpNVAHewcVG001PIpb21qTVA3fjvB

Give it a listen whenever Smile
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:31 pm

am a great fan of na jaane kyun too. Evokes strong sense of nostalgia even for smoeone who hadn't listened to this song at that time. That is the power of a strong melody.
Same actress, same composer, another breathtaking song, one of LataM's very best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qa58miSJ-c

Reg, Anand depending on your mood you could pick a favourite. The tamil version of naa jiya laage naan is one of my alltime SPB favourites, one of the very best songs he got to sing in Tamil-naan yennum pozhudhu from azhiyaadha kolangal. Again it has the power to evoke nostalgia in you even if you listened to it like for the first time only yesterday

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:24 am

ah..one of the greatest preludes of all time. Just kills you again and again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn5GfRoihKI

so much emotion.

As a kid I had re-shot this song again completely in my head with the then then most expressive actors of our times, Kamal and Banupariya, two of my favourites. A slightly rainy night, Kamal with a forlorn loom on his face, glancing back at the balcony here she is standing...Banupriya trying to avoid looking at him straight in the eye but as always speaking volumes with just her eyes. I had everything planned out in my head. If only I could have landed a producer..:-) such is the power of these songs

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next