Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

+38
counterpoint
krraju82
rajaclan
baroque
Shank
crimson king
MH
Drunkenmunk
irir123
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
D22_Malar
vicks
fring151
Punnaimaran
endrum_raja
Usha
raghav316
kamalaakarsh
rajkumarc
skr
writeface
Sakalakala Vallavar
groucho070
Wizzy
mythila
sagi
kiru
SenthilVinu
sheepChase
plum
Bala (Karthik)
Admin
Raaga_Suresh
app_engine
jaiganesh
V_S
kv
42 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 6 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  sheepChase Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:16 pm

V_S wrote:the charanam, it starts very casually, but during these lines 'ஏனென்றும் தெரியாது ஏக்கங்கள் புரியாது ஏற்றிய பாரம் தாங்காது இறக்கிட நீயும் வா ஏங்கிய உள்ளம் தூங்காது அமைதியை மீண்டும் தா', Maestro gradually builds the tune and goes for the crescendo and drops off.

yes Ji, most loved portion of the song.

sheepChase

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 6 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  sheepChase Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:18 pm

subhalekha rAsukkunnA yedhalO eppudO, remix by Thaman for a new Ram Charan film.

strictly okay and on the expected terms. Shreya Ghoshal is the only plus and the few variations that she provides at the end are lovely.

sheepChase

Back to top Go down

Post  SenthilVinu Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:45 pm

AravindMano wrote:One of *those* days, restlessly roaming around, not settling on any particular thought or a song, extreme mood swings and I miraculously and accidentally land on this song.

Supposedly, theis song was done after Manivannan already filmed the club scenes. He stuck on the idea of the doing a song in the set and he shot something in the club and came to maestro to ask, if he could do something. Raja produced this song.

SenthilVinu

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:36 am

Whenever we think of Chakravaagam raagam, one anthem which immediately comes to our mind is ULLaththil Nalla ULLam (Karnan). No one can bypass or skip this anthem and it is a sin to do that. Raja has composed few of them, but he always does the opposite. I was stunned to hear that Aapakkada AnnakkiLi (Paayum Puli) was composed in this raagam. Malaysia Vasudevan sir's best. While the former follows true to the classical genre, Maestro too when following it strictly, changes the tone of the song to sound pure folk, yet not deviating from the classical tradition and not giving the listener any hint of the raagam at the first strike. For a listener, while he listens to the former, the first that might strike him is the raagam and emotions, but for the second one, the first one which would strike him is the innocence and folk. But the base is same. How beautiful our indian basics are and we can never get this satisfaction and variety elsewhere. That's the beauty of our Indian music.

While I was stunned by chakravaagam googly in Aappakkada AnnakkiLi, Maestro bowled me around the legs in Thanal Virikkan Kuda Nivarthum (Aalolam) in the same chakravaagam. Both these songs happen almost within a year, with Aalolam has happened first, but look at the turn around. Unless this is a gift, you can never compose like this. Janaki chEchi pouring out subtle emotions. The starting aalaapanai must be one of her best. Here the starting veena tells us the raagam immediately. Veena speaks to us all the time in this song to convey the feel. Lyrics (by Kavalam Narayana Panicker) should be excellent, would like to know the essence (meaning) of the song. A perfect demonstration how to do playback singing for professionals and dummies alike. I am getting drowned by this tonight.

When we covered chakravaagam in thamizh and malayalam, it would be unfair if we don't cover in Telugu and Kannada. So here it is. Smile

Raja must have been in a delightful mood when he heard the situation. Like we see a question in exam paper which we wanted the most, as this is the one we have prepared hard last night. With Maestro, the reasons are different. He never prepares anything, yet his mood is jubilant on hearing the situation like this, as he immediately thinks of SPB and SJ who is going to accompany him. This song starts of with early morning rooster sounds. I don't understand anything what they sing in telugu, but one thing I can understand that how the lyrics fit the tune to 'T'. The way SJ ends the charanam, warewah, what a soul in that! That's where even Maestro gives us the first glimpse of the chakravaagam. Maestro has traversed from a fun song (in thamizh) to sad song (in malayalam) to a romantic duet here in the same chakravaagam. I want to learn this song, but the tricky lyrics beats me every time I try to sing. Here is Kotha Pittaro Kokko from Detective Narada. This grace is totally missing in today's songs. Please watch the video at your own risk, but that is the inimitable style of our dearest Vamsy gaaru. Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgeiZBvqMtI

Now we have come to a very popular song in Kannada, Halli Lavaniyalli from Nammura Mandara Hoove. Less said about this song is better. As they shivanna (Shivraj Kumar) needed an urgent hair cut. Smile Almost a SPB solo, with female choir providing backing vocals (not sure if Chitra is also part of the backing vocals) and harmony. It is very difficult to focus directly on raagam here, as the SPB and vocal harmony conveniently diverts us. Even when we don't much worry about this, Maestro makes sure his basics are intact and not to take any listener granted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=509s6oHuLRw

Four different shades of chakravaagam for four different reasons, but this is not all, there are many like this. It takes a Maestro to compose like this. Will finish with the last and latest one. Shall we guess our Maestro's latest chakravaagam?

soka jaladhi thaanainadi vaidehi
aasokha jaladhilo munige daasaradhi
seetha seetha seetha seetha ni
seethaki vinipinchela rodhasi kampinchela
rodinche seethapathi..
raamuni momuna dheenatha chusi vekki yedchinavi vedhamule
seethakendukee vishaadam… raamunikela viyogam
kamala nayanamula munige ponge kannetilo
chudaleka aa suryude dookenu munnetilo

How it could be other than Sri Rama Rajyam? This is semi-classical, but only when the situation demanded. This song (Sitarama Charitam) was composed in raagamaalika, with the above lines composed in chakravaagam. Where is Aapakkada AnnakkiLi, where is Thanal Virikkan and where is Sita Rama Charitam. Maestro does not leave any listener alone. He caters to everyone. Can anyone do this? Even with the same raagam, does it cause tedium? It can never especially with Maestro as he does not hit you on face with the 'genre'. Genre comes the last. Does it not take a genius mind or million births to compose like this?
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  SenthilVinu Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:40 am

V_S wrote:
While I was stunned by chakravaagam googly in Aappakkada AnnakkiLi, Maestro bowled me around the legs in Thanal Virikkan Kuda Nivarthum (Aalolam) in the same chakravaagam.
Here is Kotha Pittaro Kokko from Detective Narada. This grace is totally missing in today's songs. Please watch the video at your own risk, but that is the inimitable style of our dearest Vamsy gaaru. Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgeiZBvqMtI

Now we have come to a very popular song in Kannada, Halli Lavaniyalli from Nammura Mandara Hoove. Less said about this song is better. As they shivanna (Shivraj Kumar) needed an urgent hair cut. Smile Almost a SPB solo, with female choir providing backing vocals (not sure if Chitra is also part of the backing vocals) and harmony. It is very difficult to focus directly on raagam here, as the SPB and vocal harmony conveniently diverts us. Even when we don't much worry about this, Maestro makes sure his basics are intact and not to take any listener granted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=509s6oHuLRw

Four different shades of chakravaagam for four different reasons, but this is not all, there are many like this. It takes a Maestro to compose like this. Will finish with the last and latest one. Shall we guess our Maestro's latest chakravaagam?

soka jaladhi thaanainadi vaidehi
aasokha jaladhilo munige daasaradhi
seetha seetha seetha seetha ni
seethaki vinipinchela rodhasi kampinchela
rodinche seethapathi..
raamuni momuna dheenatha chusi vekki yedchinavi vedhamule
seethakendukee vishaadam… raamunikela viyogam
kamala nayanamula munige ponge kannetilo

How it could be other than Sri Rama Rajyam? This is semi-classical, but only when the situation demanded. This song (Sitarama Charitam) was composed in raagamaalika, with the above lines composed in chakravaagam. Where is Aapakkada AnnakkiLi, where is Thanal Virikkan and where is Sita Rama Charitam. Maestro does not leave any listener alone. He caters to everyone. Can anyone do this? Even with the same raagam, does it cause tedium? It can never especially with Maestro as he does not hit you on face with the 'genre'. Genre comes the last. Does it not take a genius mind or million births to compose like this?

Awesome! Never knew Aappakkada AnnakkiLi is Raaga based. To a layman like me, it sounds like a pure village song. I have cherished this since I was young. I don't know anything about Raaga but your write up made me feel like I know something!

Thanks for the Telugu and Kannada song. First time listening to it. Enjoyed it both. Vamsi's energy in the song are always fun to watch Razz My goodness!

SenthilVinu

Back to top Go down

Post  SenthilVinu Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:46 am

My contribution. Enchanted by this song last couple of weeks. I was always fascinated by this song since it came out.

Prelude and the beat. Love the percussive elements in this song. And when the song returns to original pallavi with those beats. Just super cool. 2nd interlude is so Raaja!

SenthilVinu

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:46 pm

Looping this since morning - Andha naaL nyaabagam from the BM disaster adhu oru kanaakkaalam. Lovely lilting tune, awesome synth drum work and ShreyaG to boot. Beautiful song.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  sheepChase Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:32 pm

ah Nerd, me too, me too.

sheepChase

Back to top Go down

Post  writeface Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:11 am

Nerd, Very nice song. This movie had wonderful, understated BGM. The movie on the whole wasn't too bad, I liked the climax. Quite different.

Gokul

writeface

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:26 pm

Happy new year Very Happy

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:32 pm

http://raajabrahmam.wordpress.com/2012/12/31/arre-kamali-kamali-a-butterfly-from-western-ghats/

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  SenthilVinu Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:28 am

Nerd wrote:Happy new year Very Happy

Happy new year!

SenthilVinu

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:36 am

Strictly for mano fans.. happy new year to great legend.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:51 pm

jaiganesh wrote:Strictly for mano fans.. happy new year to great legend.

kandraavi my mind radio was playing this song only for New Year. pala channelsla maRRum pakkathu groundla live-A, nAn dhAn Sakala Kala vallavannu blare paNNappOvum this song refused to go from the background of the mind through the day.

Traumatic childhood, mine. Still facing the effects.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:06 pm

மந்திரப்புன்னகையோ மஞ்சள் நிலவோ - என்ன விளையாட்டு இது வயலின்களை வெச்சிகிட்டு..

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1980'&lang=en

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:37 pm

Nee elatha podhu with extended prelude

we should invite Rajsmed to this hood, Skr pliss to do the needful
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:20 am

Wow two songs in a row in the tabla+bass line genre. One classy one stylish. Awesome.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:41 am

Adadaa angu viLayaadum puLLi maanE - Maaya Bazaar
http://thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1812'&lang=en

Synth driven minimalistic orchestration. Not a great tune, neither bland, just optimal and subtle enough to press the rewind button. It even harks back to 'paarijaatha poove' sometimes. Second interlude with female choir, folk'ish flute and native drums is the highlight. I had hard time distinguishing Yesudas voice. Is it really him? His trademark gliding default sangathi is missing, hence the doubt, even the voice does not sound like him. When the song is about to end, female joins him for the last pallavi, a nice touch and finish!
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  skr Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:47 pm

Came across a never heard before really rare number from he movie Nandu ..
Its such a soothing lullaby ..

Has anyone heard this before ???
https://soundcloud.com/bhoopathy-sargunar-e-r/nandu-aduthamma-rare#play

skr

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:46 am

V_S wrote:Adadaa angu viLayaadum puLLi maanE - Maaya Bazaar
http://thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1812'&lang=en

Synth driven minimalistic orchestration. Not a great tune, neither bland, just optimal and subtle enough to press the rewind button. It even harks back to 'paarijaatha poove' sometimes. Second interlude with female choir, folk'ish flute and native drums is the highlight. I had hard time distinguishing Yesudas voice. Is it really him? His trademark gliding default sangathi is missing, hence the doubt, even the voice does not sound like him. When the song is about to end, female joins him for the last pallavi, a nice touch and finish!

Good experiment. I am pretty sure it is not KJY.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:32 am

Thanks kiru for confirmation. But this song is credited to KJY everywhere, don't know why. Need to see the original soundtrack cover.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:34 pm

I'm still listening to NEPV album a lot (without skipping any songs of course). I have never given an IR album so many listens so frequently except maybe TIS. I hope and wish 2013 has more music releases from IR.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:33 am

After App posted Naan POtta Savaal LP cover picture, I have been listening to this song continuously from the film.

Vani Jayaram's bestest ever. IR's guitar 'puratchi'. Cool I have never heard guitar like this from anyone else (in India). The bass is fluent as a stand-alone melody. Trumpets going bonkers. Seducing tune. Hell of a song.

http://thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2198'&lang=en
http://www.mediafire.com/?m2lxnnzuwvbvme5 (good quality)
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:27 pm

VS - Agree with you word by word about Mayakkama song. I listened to this one through the finders keepers Solla Solla compilation. I was stunned as I was hearing it for the first time, a rocking, cracker of a song. It's a master stroke to use VJ's voice and she had rendered it fantastically.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:17 am

Thanks rajkumarc for sharing similar sentiments about this song. Smile

I was only listening to Archanai Pookkal songs today. Only today I came to know 'Mike' Mohan acted in this film. Till today I thought only Chandrasekar acted in it. When I saw Mohan on couple of songs (in youtube), the songs suddenly became so close like never before. Especially KaaviriyE and VazhimEl Vizhiyaai.

VazhimEl Vizhiyaai EthirpaarthirunthEn Varuvaai MaamugilE. Is it boopalam or bowli? This song is killing me. SJ, what secret you have in your voice?. Oozes with emotions.

As Wizzy pointed out RajsMed is doing a fantastic job of uploading these songs, which I never thought I would see the visuals.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next