Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ராசாவுக்காக ஒரு ஆண்டு காத்திருந்த ஃபாசில் இயக்கிய படங்களுக்கென்று இந்த இழை

4 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

ராசாவுக்காக ஒரு ஆண்டு காத்திருந்த ஃபாசில் இயக்கிய படங்களுக்கென்று இந்த இழை Empty ராசாவுக்காக ஒரு ஆண்டு காத்திருந்த ஃபாசில் இயக்கிய படங்களுக்கென்று இந்த இழை

Post  app_engine Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:56 pm

Recently shared this link in the "Anything about IR" thread :
http://www.dinamalarnellai.com/cinema/news/51290

அப்போது இளையராஜா பயங்கர பிஸி. கிட்டத்தட்ட ஒரு வருடம் அவருக்காகக் காத்திருந்தோம். அதன் பலனாக,பூவே பூச்சூடவா எந்தன் நெஞ்சில் என்ற அருமையான பாடல் கிடைத்தது.

Starting a separate thread now, to host ALL the songs that came out of the IR-Fazil combo.

First let me catalog all the TFM songs one by one - we can handle MFM later Wink

Last edited by app_engine on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:25 am; edited 60 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

ராசாவுக்காக ஒரு ஆண்டு காத்திருந்த ஃபாசில் இயக்கிய படங்களுக்கென்று இந்த இழை Empty Re: ராசாவுக்காக ஒரு ஆண்டு காத்திருந்த ஃபாசில் இயக்கிய படங்களுக்கென்று இந்த இழை

Post  app_engine Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:25 pm

#1 & #2 poovE poochchooda vA (movie : poovE poochchooda vA)
(Two versions, both solo songs with female chorus - KJY & KSC the singers)

பூவே பூச்சூட வா
(பூவே பூச்சூட வா)

It got featured in the VM thread before:
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t96p275-ilayaraja-vairamuthu-combo-checks-balances-last-entry-198-198-#10407

I still remember the vividh bhArathi ad for the movie, playing frequently during my college days, featuring the first line of this song! Then it went on to say something like "பாட்டிக்கும் பேத்திக்கும் இடையிலான பாசப்பிணைப்பு" - which was kind of unusual theme for a movie at that point of time Smile

Of course, most people knew it was the remake of the Malayalam hit "nOkkaththA dhooraththu kaNNum nattu" by the same director, as it was mentioned in every article about the movie in the cinema columns of magazines those days.

And IRFs like me were eagerly looking forward to the album as well as movie at that point of time.

Needless to say the movie exceeded all our expectations (going by our level of cinema exposure / experience at that point of time)!

Let us play the song here again (while also remembering IR's comments that he got inspired by MSV-TKR's emotional pAsamalar song, "malarndhum malarAdha", for creating this magical classic):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU0oLrzvozw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySxe2Cwsxow

Lyrics here again, for quick ref:

பூவே பூச்சூட வா எந்தன் நெஞ்சில் பால் வார்க்க வா
வாசல் பார்த்து, கண்கள் பூத்து, காத்து நின்றேன் வா

அழைப்பு மணி இந்த வீட்டில் கேட்டாலும் ஒடி நான் வந்து பார்ப்பேன்
தென்றல் என் வாசல் தீண்டவே இல்லை கண்ணில் வெந்நீரை வார்த்தேன்
கண்களும் ஓய்ந்தது ஜீவனும் தேய்ந்தது
ஜீவதீபங்கள் ஓயும் நேரம் நீயும் நெய்யாக வந்தாய்
இந்தக் கண்ணீரில் சோகமில்லை இன்று ஆனந்தம் தந்தாய்
பேத்தி என்றாலும் நீயும் என் தாய்

காலம் கரைந்தாலும் கோலம் சிதைந்தாலும் பாசம் வெளுக்காது மானே
நீரில் குளித்தாலும் நெருப்பில் எரித்தாலும் தங்கம் கருக்காது தாயே
பொன்முகம் பார்க்கிறேன் அதில் என் முகம் பார்க்கிறேன்
இந்தப் பொன்மானைப் பார்த்துக் கொண்டே சென்று நான் சேர வேண்டும்
மீண்டும் ஜென்மங்கள் மாறும்போதும் நீ என் (நான்  உன்) மகளாக வேண்டும்
பாச ராகங்கள் பாடவேண்டும்

app_engine

Back to top Go down

ராசாவுக்காக ஒரு ஆண்டு காத்திருந்த ஃபாசில் இயக்கிய படங்களுக்கென்று இந்த இழை Empty Re: ராசாவுக்காக ஒரு ஆண்டு காத்திருந்த ஃபாசில் இயக்கிய படங்களுக்கென்று இந்த இழை

Post  app_engine Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:52 pm

I'll not be running this thread album by album or chronological Wink

That way, it will be marginally different from other "catalog" threads Smile

So, the next song will jump a couple of decades!

(No need to worry about missing any song - அன்பு சார் எக்செல் இருக்க பயமேன்?)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:03 pm

#3 rOjAppoonthOttam kAdhal vAsam (movie : kaNNukkuL nilavu)
(Anuradha Sriram -Unnikrishnan duet)

ரோஜாப்பூந்தோட்டம் காதல் வாசம் காதல் வாசம் 
(கண்ணுக்குள் நிலவு)

I saw on TV yesterday both these singers sitting as judges in the current edition of Super Singer (Vijay TV) Smile The one I watched was an episode featuring IR songs (supposedly quarter finals and a guy who sang "puththam pudhu poo pooththadhO" of thaLapathi got 40/40 score from the four judges!)

Which is why chose to feature this sweet song in this thread today Smile

While both these singers are less than desirable (to me) for this song, I found their appreciation for IR on the TV to be genuine. (Especially Anu - she had always been a vocal supporter of IR on TV ; in this episode she recalled her "thesis" or some research work on IR, done in USA - does anyone know what was the topic and has she published any book on that?)

If we ignore the singers, what a lovely composition this one is! Sweet melody and equally sweet orch! (The first interlude is my fav, especially the lead guitar!)

Unfortunately for Fazil, this movie didn't do very well. (It wasn't that bad but not very good either).

Enjoy the song using the links below :

Audio:
http://mio.to/album/Kannukkul+Nilavu+%282000%29

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVoC-4Q5uPs

Pazhani Bharathi's pAdal varigaL (I've mentioned many times in the forum that I'm not a fan of "adukkuththodar" to somehow "fill in" the meter Laughing This song has just too many of them, irritating):

பூவின் இதழெல்லாம் மௌன ராகம் மௌன ராகம்
ஒவ்வொரு இலையிலும் தேன்துளி ஆடுதே
பூவெலாம் பூவெலாம் பனிமழை தேடுதே
நம் காதல் கதையைக் கொஞ்சம் சொல் சொல் சொல் என்றதே

விழியசைவில் உன் இதழசைவில்
இதயத்திலே இன்று ஒரு இசைத்தட்டு சுழலுதடி
புதிய இசை ஒரு புதிய திசை புது இதயம் இன்று உன் காதலில் கிடைத்ததடி
காதலை நான் தந்தேன் வெட்கத்தை நீ தந்தாய்
நீ நெருங்கினால் நெருங்கினால் இரவு சுடுகிறதே

உனை நினைத்து நான் விழித்திருந்தேன்
இரவுகளில் தினம் வண்ண நிலவுக்குத் துணையிருந்தேன்
நிலவடிக்கும் கொஞ்சம் வெயிலடிக்கும்
பருவநிலை அதில் என் மலருடல் சிலிர்த்திருதேன்
சூரியன் ஒரு கண்ணில் வெண்ணிலா மறு கண்ணில்
என் இரவையும் பகலையும் உனது விழியில் கண்டேன்

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:04 pm

#4 oru kiLiyin thanimaiyilE siRu kiLiyin uRavu (movie : poovizhi vAsalilE)
(KSC-KJY-Chorus)

ஒரு கிளியின் தனிமையிலே சிறுகிளியின் உறவு
(பூவிழி வாசலிலே)

As mentioned before, this thread will run as "random play list" Smile That way, the next song is from the second half of 80's, from a movie featuring Sathyaraj & Karthika (who acted as Kamal's daughter in the famous "அவனை நிறுத்தச்சொல்லு நான் நிறுத்துறேன்" scene)

The song had been covered in detail in the GA thread a few years back, including the complete lyrics :
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t80p100-gangai-amaran-#6031

I don't think I need to add any comment - except to add that this had been playing pretty frequently in recent times in my drives! And each time when KSC comes in, with that "முத்து இரத்தினம் உனக்குச் சூட", I get goose bumps!

IR always gave the finest stuff to Fazil!

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmVrmOpLY_g

Audio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBMF84iEQRA

GA's fantastic varigaL, for quick ref:

ஒரு கிளியின் தனிமையிலே சிறு கிளியின் உறவு
உறவு உறவு உறவு உறவு
இரு கிளிகள் உறவினிலே புதுக்கிளி ஒன்று வரவு
வரவு வரவு வரவு வரவு
விழிகளிலே கனவு மிதந்து வர
உலகமெலாம் நினைவு பறந்து வர
தினம் தினம் உறவு உறவு புதிது புதிது வரவு வரவு
இனிது இனிது கனவு கனவு புதிய கனவு ஆஹா!

முத்து இரத்தினம் உனக்குச் சூட முத்திரைக் கவி இசைந்து பாட
நித்தம் நித்திரை கரைந்து ஓட சித்தம் நித்தமும் நினைந்து கூட
சிறு மழழை மொழிகளிலே இனிமை தவழ இதயம் மகிழ
இரு மலரின் விழிகளிலே இரவும் மறைய பகலும் தெரிய
ஆசையால் உனை அள்ள வேண்டும்
அன்பினால் எனைக்கொள்ள வேண்டும்
சேரும் நாள் இதுதான்

கட்டளைப்படி கிடைத்த வேதம் தொட்டணைப்பதே எனக்குப்போதும்
மொட்டு மல்லிகை எடுத்துத்தூவும் முத்துப்புன்னகை எனக்குப்போதும்
ஒரு இறைவன் வரைந்த கதை புதிய கவிதை இனிய கவிதை
கதை முடிவும் தெரிவதில்லை இளைய மனது இழுத்த கவிதை
பாசம் என்றொரு ராகம் கேட்கும்
பார்வை அன்பெனும் நீரை வார்க்கும்
பாடும் நாள் இதுதான்

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:34 pm

#5 pazhamudhirchchOlai enakkAgaththAn (Movie: varusham 16)
(KJY solo)

பழமுதிர்ச்சோலை எனக்காகத்தான்
(வருஷம் 16)

Perhaps the biggest (ever) hit song for a Fazil directed Thamizh movie! (Possibly this was his biggest hit movie as well). The most interesting thing is the movie being a remake of a "BO failure" Malayalam film (ennennum kaNNEttande / എന്നെന്നും കണ്ണേട്ടന്റെ ) Laughing

KJY was at his peak at this time period and this song is a quintessential example of his playback singing skills / specialties.

Not semi-classical but almost sounds like one (possibly due to the rAgam or melody or orch). High speed with energy without compromising sweetness. The switch to a different melody pattern for the second saraNam - which IR chooses to do in only a small % of his songs - makes the song even more special.

Such a fantastic package that only IR can think of / compose and KJY was a great support in the execution! The song's unique percussion / rhythm arrangement (for the pallavi and first saraNam) is another concoction which "purchased-loop-based" MD's can only dream of! That IR can coolly switch to a traditional mridhangam backing for the second saraNam and seamlessly connect back to the pallavi is another stunning feature of the song that can make one wonder "இதையெல்லாம் இவர் எப்படித்தான் கற்பனை செய்தாரோ"!

Amazing song - with apt support by the lyricist Vaali.

Audio:
http://mio.to/album/Varusham+16+%281989%29

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIPu9J9b0HI

பழமுதிர்ச்சோலை எனக்காகத்தான்
படைத்தவன் படைத்தான் அதற்காகத்தான்
நான் தான் அதன் ராகம் தாளம் கேட்டேன் தினம் காலை மாலையும்
கோலம் அதன் ஜாலம் இங்கு ஓராயிரம்

தூரத்தில் போகின்ற மேகங்களே தூறல்கள் போடுங்கள் பூமியிலே
வேர்கொண்ட பூஞ்சோலை நீர்கொண்டு ஆட
ஏரியில் மீன் கொத்தும் நாரைகளே இறகுகள் எனக்கில்லை தாருங்களே
ஊர்விட்டு ஊர் சென்று காவியம் பாட
பறவைகள் போல் நாம் பறந்திட வேண்டும்
பனிமலை மேல் நாம் மிதந்திட வேண்டும்
ஏதோ ஒரு போதை மனம் கொண்டாடுதே

பந்தங்கள் யாவும் தொடர்கதை போல் நாளும் வளர்ந்திடும் நினைவுகளால்
நூலிழை போல் இங்கு நெருங்கிய இதயங்கள் பாலுடன் நெய்யெனக் கலந்திடும் நாள்
தந்தையும் தாயும் மகிழ்ந்து குலாவி சிந்தை இனித்திட உறவுகள் மேவி
பிள்ளைகள் பேணி வளர்ந்தது இங்கே மண்ணில் இதைவிட சொர்க்கம் எங்கே
நேசங்கள் பாசங்கள் பிரிவதில்லை (என்றும்) வானத்தில் விரிசல்கள் விழுவதில்லை.
இலக்கியம் போல் எங்கள் குடும்பமும் விளங்க
இடைவிடாது மனம் ஒரு மகிழ்ச்சியில் திளைத்திட

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  vigneshram Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:26 am

Ilayairaja: Composer as phenomenon in Tamil Film Culture\" is the title.This site http://7swara.blogspot.com/2008/06/thesis-on-isaignani.html used to have a few excerpts from the thesis (now not available). I will try to locate it from my hard disk & share.
app_engine wrote:
#3 rOjAppoonthOttam kAdhal vAsam (movie : kaNNukkuL nilavu)
(Anuradha Sriram -Unnikrishnan duet)

(கண்ணுக்குள் நிலவு)

I saw on TV yesterday both these singers sitting as judges in the current edition of Super Singer (Vijay TV) Smile The one I watched was an episode featuring IR songs (supposedly quarter finals and a guy who sang "puththam pudhu poo pooththadhO" of thaLapathi got 40/40 score from the four judges!)

Which is why chose to feature this sweet song in this thread today Smile

While both these singers are less than desirable (to me) for this song,  I found their appreciation for IR on the TV to be genuine. (Especially Anu - she had always been a vocal supporter of IR on TV ; in this episode she recalled her "thesis" or some research work on IR, done in USA - does anyone know what was the topic and has she published any book on that?"

vigneshram

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:14 pm

vigneshram wrote:Ilayairaja: Composer as phenomenon in Tamil Film Culture\" is the title.This site http://7swara.blogspot.com/2008/06/thesis-on-isaignani.html used to have a few excerpts from the thesis (now not available). I will try to locate it from my hard disk & share.

Thank you so much sir, for the information!

Of course, sharing whatever excerpts you have is most certainly appreciated Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:51 pm

#6 kaNNE navamaNiyE (en bommukkutty ammAvukku)
(IR solo)

கண்ணே நவமணியே
(என் பொம்முக்குட்டி அம்மாவுக்கு)

A song that can melt even the hardest of "kal nenju" fellows! Interestingly, I don't remember hearing this song when the movie got released in TN. I was in Palakkad - few other songs of the album reached me and I assumed those were the only ones from this movie. Only when I watched the movie on DVD in the new millennium (renting from an Indian store run by a Malayali in Michigan Laughing ) I've heard this classic for the first time...and it hit me so strong, instantly making eyes watery!

The song is used as title song / background music etc. a number of times in the movie IIRC and could be the one ringing in your ears after you finish watching it. It did keep playing in my mind for a few days thereafter! IR sings the pallavi many times but on ONLY ONE occasion he does an extra stretch of the last syllable of நவமணியே (யேஏ - அளபெடை style) and it could choke one's throat - simply listening to it!

There seems to be 3 different saraNams for the song - used on different occasions in the movie I think - and I'm indicating along the lyrics what could possibly be the situation for each. It's quite appropriate that IR himself penned those lines, as he possibly loved the movie and wanted to do it / sing it etc.

This particular audio youtube has all three collected in one place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS3SEhTOjeg

I saw one of the movie occurrences in this youtube (and didn't search for others Embarassed )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR1VDMdCyy4

Most of us know that the movie was a remake of "ente mAmAttukkutty ammaykku" of Malayalam - the debut film of the famous "Baby Shalini" (who went on to act as kumAri Shalini later on, before getting married to actor Ajit). By the time the remake was made in Thamizh, she had grown up a bit and hence wasn't a fit - so a different girl, more innocent looking one, shows up on the screen. Fazil got what he could extract from Suhaisini (Maniratnam) and Satyaraj, to make a tolerable movie. However, IR had made it a very enjoyable one (i.e. to me) with his songs and BGM. A personal favorite!

Here are the pAdal varigaL, with the possible situation that prompts the song in the background :

Pallavi, that gets repeated each time - the last occasion having a refined "உன்னை" while on other occasions, it is the rustic "ஒன்ன" :

கண்ணே நவமணியே
ஒன்னக்(உன்னைக்)காணாமல் கண்ணுறங்குமோ
ஆயிரம் பிச்சிப்பூவும் அரும்பரும்பாப் பூத்தாலும்
வாசம் உள்ள பிச்சி எனக்கு வாய்க்காது எக்காலும்

This saraNam must be after Suhasini losing her child in water - IR had possibly got inspired by the village "oppAri" songs that women wail with - each time adding different set of words to lament on the deceased :

தவமாத் தவமிருந்து துணையாக வந்த கிளி
தவியாத் தவிக்கவிட்டுத் தனியாகச்  சென்றதென்ன
ஊராரின் கண்ணுப்பட ஊர்கோலம் போனதம்மா
ஆரோட கண்ணுப்பட்டு ஆத்தோடு போனதம்மா
கையில தான் வச்சிருந்தா தவறி அது போகுமின்னு
மடியில நான் வைச்சிருந்தேன் மடியுமின்னு நெனக்கலியே

A child's death can have the mother mourning for many years - even a lifetime. Especially when she realizes that she cannot bear another child Sad So, on one of those depressed moments comes this portion:

ஒன்னு ரெண்டப் பெத்திருந்தா துக்கமது தோணாது
உன்னை நானும் விட்டதனால் கண்ணு ரெண்டும் தூங்காது
ஆடாத ஊஞ்சல்களை ஆடவைத்த வண்ணமயில்
பாடாத சொந்தங்களைப் பாடவைத்த சின்னக்குயில்
எங்கிருக்கு என்னுயிரே என்னைவிட்டு நீ தனியா
வந்துவிடு கண்மணியே எனக்கும் இங்கே ஓர் துணையா

The last one is after the woman adopts a child, to get over the loss of her own. However, the situation is such that she is about to lose her too (to the original mom who came in search of the child to the orphanage):

தவமிருந்து பெற்ற கிளி தவிக்கவிட்டுப் போனது போல்
துணையாக வந்த கிளி தனியாகப் போய்விடுமோ
ஆடாத ஊஞ்சல்களை ஆடவைத்த வண்ண மயில்
பாடாத சொந்தங்களைப் பாடவைத்த சின்னக்குயில்
என்னை விட்டுத்தன்னந்தனி வாழ்ந்திடுமோ வாழ்ந்திடுமோ
என்னுயிரும் என்னை விட்டுப் போய் விடுமோ போய் விடுமோ

This way, the song captures the whole movie story Embarassed Which may be the reason it wasn't on all disks (and thus didn't reach Palakkad).

In any case, "discovering new treasures" is something that happens all the time to IRF's - regardless of how many years they had been listening to his music - however closely they may be following his career!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:25 pm

For reference, here are the movie albums that IR-Fazil combo released
(not including any dubbed ones)...

Thamizh

1. poovE poochchooda vA
2. poovizhi vAsalilE
3. en bommukkuty ammAvukku
4. varusham 16
5. arangEtRa vELai
6. kiLippEchchu kEtka vA
7. kAdhalukku mariyAdhai
8. kaNNukkuL nilavu
9. oru nAL oru kanavu

Thamizh - Malayalam bilingual:

10-11 : karpoora mullai / ente sooryapputhrikku

Malayalam

12. pappayude swantham appoos

Telugu

13. Killer

Many of these got dubbed into other languages (and thus we see more albums listed in Anbu sir's spreadsheet). Let us first get the songs from these!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  vigneshram Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:22 am

app_engine wrote:
vigneshram wrote:Ilayairaja: Composer as phenomenon in Tamil Film Culture\" is the title.This site http://7swara.blogspot.com/2008/06/thesis-on-isaignani.html used to have a few excerpts from the thesis (now not available). I will try to locate it from my hard disk & share.

Thank you so much sir, for the information!

Of course, sharing whatever excerpts you have is most certainly appreciated Smile

Got it and managed to compile as a single PDF  Cool .
I have uploaded it here .

vigneshram

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:24 pm

vigneshram wrote:

Got it and managed to compile as a single PDF  Cool .
I have uploaded it here .

Thank you so much!

I've quickly read thru it. And it almost felt like reading a summary of "varalAtRu chuvadugaL" (that appeared in dhinathanthi, possibly much later) plus some threads of tfmpage.com Smile

There are a couple of errors I noticed (the most glaring one being 'andha 7 nAtkaL' getting included as an IR work Embarassed ) which should have been easily caught by any average TFM fan...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:49 pm

BTW, the lazy me watched bommukkutty ammAvukku one more time (after a gap of few years) last night Embarassed

Portions of the movie are still enjoyable (especially the songs) and I got kaNNil neer with both கண்ணே நவமணியே & பொம்முக்குட்டி அம்மாவுக்கு ஆராரோ songs.

Ending part of that second interlude of the KJY song can put one to terrible gloom Embarassed

Interestingly, the movie titles do not have IR as either singer or lyric writer Smile He sings not only the kaNNE navamaNiyE song but another one too (a folk "kAlellAm nOguthadi" as a BGM song). I guess both these got composed AFTER the movie got made - when IR sat to do the BGM. Considering that this was "pAvalar creations" production (R D Bhaskar, IR's elder bro, is the producer - no doubt with funding by IR), such extra attention is quite understandable.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:35 pm

#7 oru pattAmpoochchi nenjukkuLLE sutRukinRadhE (Film : kAdhalukku mariyAdhai)
(Sujatha-KJY duet with female chorus)

ஒரு பட்டாம்பூச்சி நெஞ்சுக்குள்ளே சுற்றுகின்றதே
(காதலுக்கு மரியாதை)

It must have been quite a challenging assignment for the young lyricist Pazhani Bharathi - to write for the complex tune. And he did a fantastic job! Except for the occasional adukkuththodar to fit the meter, he had penned brilliantly to ensure the free flowing thru the melody while exhibiting poetic creativity!

Let me present the lyrics first here:

ஒரு பட்டாம்பூச்சி நெஞ்சுக்குள்ளே சுற்றுகின்றதே
அது சுற்றிச்சுற்றி ஆசை நெஞ்சைத்தட்டுகின்றதே
காதல் சொல்ல வந்தேன் உன்னிடத்திலே
வார்த்தை ஒன்றும் இல்லை அடி என்னிடத்திலே
அடக்காதல் இதுதானா

பூச்சூடப் பூ வேணுமா? பூ இங்கே நீதானம்மா!
அடிக் கல்யாண ஊர்கோலமா? இனி எப்போதும் கார்காலமா?

ஏனோ மனது உன்னைக் கண்ட பொழுது காற்றில் ஒரு மேகமென ஆச்சு
ஏனோ எனக்குக் காதல் வந்த பிறகு கண்ணாம்மூச்சி ஆடும்கதை ஆச்சு
உன்னை அழைத்தவன் நானே நானே தன்னைத் தொலைத்தவன் ஆனேன் ஆனேன்
கூண்டுக்கிளி இங்கு நானே நானே விட்டு விடுதலை ஆனேன் ஆனேன்
உன் சேலை நூலாகவா? நான் உன் கூந்தல் பூவாகவா?
அடி நான் இன்று நீ ஆகவா?

பூவான என் நெஞ்சம் போராட தூங்காத கண்ணோடு நீராட
உறவான நிலவொன்று சதிராடக் கடிதங்கள் வாராமல் உயிர் வாட
அஞ்சலகம் எங்கு என்று தேடுகின்றேன் நான்

பூஞ்சோலை நீதானம்மா! ஒரு பூச்சிந்தப் பிடிவாதமா?
மௌனங்கள் மொழியாகுமா?

காதல் மனசும் தத்தளிக்கும் வயசும் எப்பொழுதும் ஜன்னல் எட்டிப் பார்க்கும்
ராத்திரிப்பொழுதும் பௌர்ணமி நிலவும் என் மனதைச் சுட்டு விட்டுப் போகும்
தனிமைகள் என்னைத் தொடுமே தொடுமே பனித்துளி என்னைச் சுடுமே சுடுமே
தாகம் கொண்ட தங்கக்குடமே குடமே அள்ளித்தர கங்கை வருமே வருமே
மேகங்கள் தேனூற்றுமே புது மொட்டுக்கள் பூவாகுமே
ஒரு பூமாலை தோள் சேருமே

Of course, the traditional simile of girl = flower but with a twist, the boy is not the regular pattAm poochchi (that is in search of flower's nectar) Laughing It's a case of some adolescent boy with butterflies in stomach Laughing

Such small and interesting things in the lyrics make this song stand out from many film songs with repetitive & boring lines.

IR took some special care for the song - providing some nice instrumental adornments / chorus portions - for the Fazil movie. Their partnership - companionship delivered another super hit album in 1997, also a super hit film - after some dry period for IR by way of hit movies...

Video of the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqJqDY-vBPs

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:03 pm

#8 vandhadhu vandhadhu nenjinil vandhadhu (Movie: kiLippEchchu kEtka vA)
(SJ and chorus)

வந்தது வந்தது நெஞ்சினில் நின்றது யாரடி கிளியே
(கிளிப்பேச்சு கேட்க வா)

This song is a rare case for me - in the sense that even though I've heard it involuntarily those days, I'ver never related or associated it with Fazil Embarassed Right from the days of poovE poochchooda vA and until the most recent oru nAL oru kanavu, perhaps this was the only album where I couldn't pay much attention when it arrived. Accordingly, I didn't even know what were the songs (until I came to tfmpage.com / mayyam.com). That an album in the combo of IR-Fazil with songs unknown to me was unusual Embarassed Well, it came out in 1993 and I was perhaps preoccupied with the newborn baby and didn't care for otherwise entertainment world that much.

Regardless, this is a gem of a song, with some exotic rhythm arrangements - very sweet sounding! Also, SJ nicely delivers the complicated melody - both pallavi & saraNam are not that easy to sing - one may thing so listening to the ease with which Janaki delivers but try to sing oneself and we're forced to understand it is difficult Embarassed

While wikipedia says the movie was a super hit, I don't know what was the real BO result of this movie. One thing is sure, it was not a biggie like poovE poochchooda vA / poovizhi vAsalilE / arangERRa vELai / KM kind of movies.

Here is the video of the song :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17A4VahQqJ8

pAdal varigaL are by Vaali - typical 90's style of his...

வந்தது வந்தது நெஞ்சினில் நின்றது யாரடி கிளியே
தந்தது தந்தது சம்மதம் தந்தது யாரடி கிளியே
சொன்னது சொன்னது மந்திரம் சொன்னது யாரடி கிளியே யாரடி கிளியே
கூறடி கிளியே கூறடி கிளியே

தோகை மனம் மான் போலே மெல்லத்துள்ளுது துள்ளுது யாராலே
பாயும் நதி நீர் போலே இன்பம் பொங்குது பொங்குது யாராலே
யார் அந்த மகராஜன் எனைத்தேடி வந்தான்
ஏனிந்த இளநெஞ்சில் ஏக்கங்கள் தந்தான்
மன்னவன் தென்னவன் அவனோ இல்லை மன்மதன் என்பவன் மகனோ
என்னிடம் என்னென்று சொல்லடி பைங்கிளியே

ஏதோ ஒரு ஆலோலம் தென்றல் சொன்னது சொன்னது காதோரம்
எங்கோ ஒரு ஊர்கோலம் எண்ணம் சென்றது சென்றது இந்நேரம்
பார்க்கின்ற இடம் யாவும் புதிதான தோற்றம்
நான் காண விழி மீது யார் தந்த மாற்றம்
கண்ணுக்குள் இத்தனை அழகு வைத்துச் சென்றவன் என்னடி உறவு
சொந்தமோ பந்தமோ சொல்லடி பைங்கிளியே

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:09 am

#9 khajurAhO kanaviloR siRpam (Movie: oru nAL oru kanavu)
(Shreya Ghoshal - Hariharan duet)

கஜுராஹோ கனவிலோர் சிற்பம் கண்ணில் மிதக்குதே
(ஒரு நாள் ஒரு கனவு)

The movie that perhaps ended Fazil's TF career Embarassed One wonders how such a brilliant director chose a dud pair - the hero-heroine we see in this youtube Laughing From whatever I read in reviews, the movie was horrible as well & suffered an instant death at BO. Looks like never did the director recover from that.

OTOH, IR, on his part, delivered a superb album as usual. This khajurAhO song must have been an IR favorite (or the favorite of Vamsi) that it got a modified version in the Telugu film anumanAspadam too (koilAlE koilAlE).

I've heard this song many times on car but never watched the youtube before - first time today and I was shocked at the risque picturization (especially the ones for the second interlude Embarassed Embarassed )

நல்லவேளை வீட்டில் யாருமில்லாத நேரத்தில் இதைப்பார்த்தேன் Laughing Surprised that this was stuff from Fazil!

Well, the pAdal varigaL are typical in that style as well - but well-fitted to the difficult meter provided by IR - Pazhani Bharathi again meets the challenge of the tough job (manages here and there with adukkuththodar, as usual)!

கஜுராஹோ கனவிலோர் சிற்பம் கண்ணில் மிதக்குதே
அறியாதோர் மனதிலே ரகசிய வாசல் திறக்குதே
மெல்ல மெல்ல விரலில் திரன தீம்தனா
துள்ளுகின்ற பொழுதில் இனிய கீர்த்தனா
நான் உன்னுள்ளே உன்னுள்ளே சிலையின் மொழிகளைப் பழகலாம்

என் தேகம் முழுவதும் மின்மினி மின்மினி ஆடுதே
மாயங்கள் செய்கிறாய் மார்பினில் சூரியன் காயுதே
பூவின்னுள் பனித்துளி தூறுது தூறுது தூறுதே
பனியோடு தேன்துளி ஊறுது ஊறுது ஊறுதே
காமனின் வழிபாடு உடலினைக் கொண்டாடு
தீபம் போல் என்னை நீ ஏற்று
காற்றோடு காற்றாக அந்தரங்க வழி மிதக்கலாம்

நீராக உன் உடல் நெளியுது வளையுது மூழ்கவா
தண்டோடு தாமரைப்பூவினைக் கைகளில் ஏந்தவா
மேலாடை நீயென மேனியில் நான் உனைச்சூடவா
நீ தீண்டும் போதினில் மோகன ராட்டினம் ஆடவா
பகலுக்குத் தடை போடு இரவினை எடை போடு
எங்கே நான் என்று நீ தேடு
ஈரங்கள் காயாமல் இன்ப ராக மழை பொழியுது

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyNMyiokSYU

Last edited by app_engine on Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:32 pm

#10 mAmanukkum machchAnukkum (Movie : arangEtRa vELai)
(KSC-Mano duet)

மாமனுக்கும் மச்சானுக்கும்
(அரங்கேற்ற வேளை)

Three songs out of the four in this album belong to "comical" genre (on screen) and IR-Fazil combo decided to keep two of them that way even in the musical part (AgAya veNNilAvE is the exception, sounds a regular duet while being comical on-screen only).

One can sense the "comic" thingy in the way IR plays the instrumental responses to the singer (either by keyboard pieces or distortion guitar and suchlike stuff). Even interludes are crafted that way, to depict the funny side. Here in this song, the lady tries to express her love but the man thinks this is one of her endless tricks for money. Well, fun to listen and watch. Mano is an apt choice for such comical numbers and KSC is versatile as usual!

The audio version and video version are quite different, which is interesting. In audio, the whole first saraNam is female & the second one male. OTOH, they've mixed the portions and made it a "one-saraNam-song" on screen, possibly to cut down the length and not increase the length of the movie.

Actually, Revathy's equivalent character in the Malayalam original was male (rAmji rAo speaking, produced by Fazil but directed by Siddique-Lal I think) and there were no romance / love business. Fazil modified it for TN movie watchers (& Prabhu fans) to have a female character, duet, love etc. Unfortunately, that made the movie appear lengthier and a little dragging (while the comical elements were still OK). Despite my liking for IR / the album / songs, I would rate the Malayalam original far more superior (and Innocent was miles ahead of VKR Embarassed )

Audio:
http://mio.to/album/Arangetra+Velai+%281990%29

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmtF6IhX5vE

Vaali's fun pAdal varigaL:

மாமனுக்கும் மச்சானுக்கும் ஏய் வித்தியாசம் என்ன இருக்கு
காதலுக்கும் கச்சேரிக்கும் ஏய் வந்திருச்சி வேளை நமக்கு
பாக்கிறதென்ன மாமா நான் கேக்கிறதென்ன தாம்மா

ஆத்திரத்தை ஏத்தி விட்டு ஆசைகளைப் பொங்க விட்டு
பாடாப்படுத்தி வெக்கிற என்னப் பாத்தா ஒதுங்கி நிக்கிற
பின்னால வருகிற இளமாது சொன்னாலும் ஒன்ன விட்டு விலகாது
ஒம்மேல நான் பித்தாகிப் போனேன் முத்தாடும் பூங்கொத்தாக ஆனேன்
சின்னப்பொண்ணு நானே செங்கரும்புத்தேனே
நாளும் வாடினேன் ஒன்ன நெனச்சே பாடினேன்

மாமனுக்கும் மச்சானுக்கும் ஏய் வித்தியாசம் ரொம்ப இருக்கு
காதலுக்கும் கண்றாவிக்கும் ஏய் வெவ்வேறு அர்த்தம் இருக்கு
பாக்கிறதென்ன பாமா நீ கேக்கிறதென்ன போம்மா

ஆட்டம் என்ன பாட்டம் என்ன ஆள் புடிக்க வெட்கம் விட்டு
ஆலாப்பறந்து நிக்கிற அடி ஆத்தா எதுக்குச் சொக்குற
அன்னாடம் அடிக்கடி நிறம் மாறும் அம்மாடி உனக்கொரு நமஸ்காரம்
உன்னோடு எனக்கென்ன சகவாசம் உன்கூட வாழ்வது வனவாசம்
ஒட்டாதே நீ என்னோட ஆட தொட்டாட நான் முட்டாளும் இல்ல
கொட்டாவி நீ விட்டாலுங்கூட எட்டாதடி என்னோட எல்ல
ஒட்டி ஒட்டி வந்தா ஓட்ட விடுவேனா
ஏண்டி உனக்குத்தான் இப்ப என் மேல் கிறுக்குத்தான்

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:26 pm

#11 chinnachchinna rOjAppoovE (Movie: poovizhi vAsalilE)
(KJY solo)

சின்னச்சின்ன ரோஜாப்பூவே 
(பூவிழி வாசலிலே)

For sheer melody & singing, this song should be placed among the top few that KJY had ever sung for IR!

And the kind of feel this song evokes is inexplicable! The very definition of "இனம் புரியாத உணர்வு"! Even during my very first listen of this song when it came out, I thought "this song is nothing like IR had done before"! Well, it was only my feeling and I had no way of musically explaining it due to lack of knowledge / training but I was positive that this was way different!

I still wonder, like, "How can a composer imagine the melody for this pallavi!" - very unusual! Also, the way in which the last syllable of "பூவே" is stretched - WOW! That part is one of the peaks in IR-KJY combo, IMHO!

We've already featured the duet version of the fantastic "oru kiLiyin thanimayilE" from this movie. Now, with this extraordinary KJY solo, I wonder if this is the best album for Fazil by IR! Definite contender for the top spot (after completing this thread, I should have a poll on twitter, to get more opinions).

Nothing great to say about the movie or the picturization of the song with Sathyaraj - average only. In any case, the average movie was a BO hit those days (and I failed to watch on theater).

I could not locate hi-quality audio of the song on the web (what I hear in the car is superb, don't know where it came from, with excellent sounding tablA). Check this one which does not sound great on headphone :

http://mio.to/album/Poovizhi+Vaasalile+%281987%29

The youtube, I understand it takes extraordinary skill on the actor's part to match the song & Sathyaraj is no NT :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMYHcdbI7aE

Muthulingam is the lyricist (situational lines, nothing special):

சின்னச்சின்ன ரோஜாப்பூவே செல்லக்கண்ணே நீ யாரு
தப்பி வந்த சிப்பி முத்தே உன்னைப் பெத்த தாய் யாரு
சொல்லிக்கொள்ள வாயும் இல்லை அள்ளிக்கொள்ளத் தாயும் இல்லை
ஏனோ சோதனை இள நெஞ்சில் வேதனை

சின்னப்பிஞ்சு நெஞ்சுக்குள்ளே என்ன என்ன ஆசையுண்டோ
உள்ளம் தன்னை மூடிவைத்த தெய்வம் வந்தா சொல்லும் இங்கே
ஊரும் இல்லை பேரும் இல்லை உண்மை சொல்ல யாரும் இல்லை
நீயும் இனி நானும் ஒரு ஜீவன் தானடா
சோலைக்கிளி போலே என் தோளில் ஆடடா
இது பேசா ஓவியம் இதில் சோகம் ஆயிரம்

கண்ணில் உன்னைக்காணும் போது எண்ணம் எங்கோ போகுதய்யா
என்னைவிட்டுப் போன பிள்ளை இங்கே உந்தன் கோலம் கொண்டு
வந்ததென்று எண்ணுகின்றேன் வாழ்த்துச் சொல்லிப் பாடுகின்றேன்
கங்கை நீ என்றால் கரை இங்கு நானடா
வானம் நான் என்றால் விடிவெள்ளி நீயடா
என் வாழ்வில் நிம்மதி அது உந்தன் சன்னதி

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:22 am

#12 poo pookkum mAsam (Movie : varusham 16)
(PS and chorus)

பூப்பூக்கும் மாசம் தை மாசம்
(வருஷம் 16)

An all-time classic that I've often posted about in various threads Smile

While searching in youtube for this song, I spotted a PS stage concert video, with some average band, TMS sitting on chair etc. She sings without much alattal (as needed per the song) but one cannot miss the enormous amount of bhAvam / sangathees packed into this beautiful song. Did it suit the girl on-screen / whether it gives me rOmAnjak pheeling etc is not relevant (not sure if anyone really got a sensuous kick out of this song, even at the time when movie came out Laughing ).

That way, honestly, it was a failure on Fazil's part to picturize the beginning portion of this song that way.

However, considering away from screen, this is an evergreen classic of terrific magnitude. That TN was blessed with songs coming out of IR's studio every week during that time was such a wonderful thing in history. I don't know if it had ever been that way before or after. Can't say if such a phenomenon can ever happen again.

That way, in the TFM context, one should really mark the time period when IR was doing ~40 albums a year as a PIVOTAL point (say 1985) & consider giving that a name as "IRE" & term other periods as BIRE & AIRE (like BCE & CE) Smile

Audio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh3w_rV_o_8

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfAZQd7bHbk

Lyrics by Vaali:
பொங்கலு பொங்கலு வைக்க மஞ்சள மஞ்சள எடு
தங்கச்சி தங்கச்சி தங்கச்சி
புஞ்சையும் நஞ்சையும் இந்த பூமியும் சாமியும் இனி
நம் கட்சி நம் கட்சி நம் கட்சி

பூப்பூக்கும் மாசம் தை மாசம்
ஊரெங்கும் வீசும் பூ வாசம்
சின்னக்கிளிகள் பறந்து ஆட சிந்துக்கவிகள் குயில்கள் பாட
புது ராகம் புதுத்தாளம் ஒன்று சேரும் நேரம் இந்நேரம்

வாய்க்காலையும் வயல் காட்டையும்
படைத்தாள் எனக்கென கிராம தேவதை
தெம்மாங்கையும் தெருக்கூத்தையும்
நினைத்தால் இனித்திடும் வாழும்நாள் வரை
குழந்தைகள் கூடக் குமரியும் ஆட
மந்தமாருதம் வீசுது மலையமாருதம் பாடுது

நான் தூங்கியே நாளானது
அது ஏன் எனக்கொரு மோகம் வந்தது
பால்மேனியும் நூலானது
அது ஏன் அதுக்கொரு தாகம் வந்தது
மனதினில் கோடி நினைவுகள் ஓடி
மன்னன் யாரெனத் தேடுதோ உன்னைப் பார்த்ததும் கூடுதோ

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:17 pm

#13 sivakAmi nenappinilE (Movie : kiLippEchchu kEtka vA)
(SJ-SPB duet)

சிவகாமி நெனப்பினிலே
(கிளிப்பேச்சு கேட்க வா)

I remember posting about this song in the long running IR-SPB thread of the hub (where too I've mentioned about this album being the least known of all IR albums for Fazil)...here's the link & contents of that old post (it seems people in India cannot see the hub anymore):

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?10051-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-Part-2&p=863841&viewfull=1#post863841

#385 சிவகாமி நெனப்பினிலே
(கிளிப்பேச்சு கேட்க வா, 1993, ஜானகியுடன்)

'sivakAmi nenappinilE' from kiLippEchchu kEtka vA, with SJ

Perhaps the least familiar Fazil movie to me. Remembered this song only when I scanned for the movies of 1993 for SPB-IR songs. Otherwise, one doesn't even recall that such a movie existed Obviously, it's my problem that I wasn't paying close attention to the TF scene of those years. However, Fazil's movies (including the TF ones) always had some buzz around them in Palakkad but this had none. Also, the songs weren't as popular as those of his other movies.

I've heard the song a few times on CBE radio and thus assume that this was moderately popular / known inside TN. The first time I heard this song was on radio, when sitting in the home of a friend in Madhukkarai. This place is a township, the cement factory suburb of Coimbatore (ACC colony) and this song flashes me back those cement dust covered roofs / trees / plants / everything If one stands still outdoor in that township for an hour or so, their head could be covered with the dust as well. So much limestone pollution from the factory chimney. I had a few friends there - hearts of gold - and enjoyed many nice moments with them!

Interestingly, these cement factories seemed to have some long-term-connection with me, though I've never worked for one. During my campus interview, the ACC-Babcock gave the job (first time visit to Calcutta for the final interview)...then Andhra Cements gave another offer around the same time (first time visit to Hyderabad, Indira park / Birla mandhir)...then first few months of bachelor life (in the new Palakkadan telecom job) was in the Walayar cement factory colony, with a friend. The Madhukkarai friends followed. Even many years later, when I moved to TN for a brief period, had a friend in Dalmiyapuram (aka mukA's Kallakkudi) and visited that dust filled township a few times enna oru "concrete" bandham

My bandham with Fazil/IR songs is similarly concrete -i.e. overall, with this KPKV album an exception. Unfortunately for this thread, SPB didn't get to sing many of them, it was mostly KJY / KSC. This song is that way, a rare one. There's another SPB song in this album too but never heard before, which is another rare case among Fazil movie songs Even the recent one -ONOK- I've heard from a relative's car (apart from a few listens from the hub-given-links). KPKV is that way unique

Pretty much similar thoughts now Wink

The only difference is youtube that I've watched since then and can see the same dance movements that Kanaga had in practically every song of her on-screen (not that those are boring or bad, just repetitive). And funny Mammooty and an old man who appears like the soodhu kavvum girl who is always with Vijay Sethupathi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK78SkTLgoQ

Adding the Vaali lyrics :

சிவகாமி நெனப்பினிலே பாடம் சொல்ல மறந்துவிட்டேன்
அடியாத்தி வாத்தியாரு பாடஞ்சொல்ல மறந்ததென்ன
முக்கனியே சக்கரையே ஒத்தையிலே நிக்குறியே
(எம்மனச ஒட்டுறியே மம்முட்டிப் போல் வெட்டுறியே)
வந்து ஒட்டிக்கோ ஒட்டிக்கோ ஒட்டிக்கோ
என்னக்கட்டிக்கோ கட்டிக்கோ கட்டிக்கோ

ஆலமரக்கிளி அன்னாடம் என்னோடு பேசுமா இல்ல ஏசுமா
ஆத்தங்கரையினில் அத்தானும் முத்தாடக் கூடுமா விட்டு ஓடுமா
கோலக்கிளி கேக்கக் கட்டாயம் தட்டாமக் கேக்கவா என்னப்பார்க்கவா
காலங்கடத்தாமக் கையோடு கையாக சேர்க்கவா மையல் தீர்க்கவா
போதும் இது போதும் இந்தப்பிறவியில் வேறொன்றும் வேண்டாமே
மோதும் அல மோதும் நெஞ்சக் கடலிலே ஆசைகள் ஓயாமே
வந்து ஒட்டிக்கோ ஒட்டிக்கோ ஒட்டிக்கோ
என்னக்கட்டிக்கோ கட்டிக்கோ கட்டிக்கோ

காதல் கடுதாசி கண்ணாலே இந்நேரம் போட்டது வந்து சேர்ந்தது
கூடிக் கலந்திடக் கும்மாளம் இப்போது தோணுது பொண்ணு நாணுது
தேனும் தினைமாவும் தின்னாம நின்னாலே தாங்குமா பசி நீங்குமா
தேடக் கிடைக்காத பொன்னாரம் என் கையில் சேருமா சுகம் மீறுமா
பேசி வல வீசி இந்த மனசுல போதையை ஏத்தாதே
ராசி நல்ல ராசி நம்ம பொருத்தத்த நீ எங்கும் பார்க்காதே
இப்போ என்னவோ என்னவோ என்னவோ
என்னப் பண்ணுதே பண்ணுதே பண்ணுதே

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:49 pm

#14 pAttu ingE (Movie : poovizhi vAsalilE)
(SPS-MV + KSC in chorus)

பாட்டு இங்கே ர பப்பா
(பூவிழி வாசலிலே)

i'm featuring a third song from this album - an awesome one! With these three songs, this album should fight for something like a place among "all-time-best-top-20-albums of IR" and such lists, IMHO!

What a song this one! Each time I'm dying to listen to the fantastic bass guitar twists in the saraNam (places like at the end of the phrase "ஏற்றிய பாரம் தாங்காது" and such)!

Well, why don't we listen to the siRappugaL (esp. chords) of the song from an expert, Violin Vicky - who dedicated a whole youtube video to praise this song Smile

Violin Vicky's special notes on this extraordinary song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai08Q_quMhA

Though I don't get the exact technicalities that he explains here, one thing is clear to me "யாராலும் எளிதாகச் செய்து விட முடியாத என்னென்னவற்றையோ ஜஸ்ட் லைக் தட் ராசா இந்தப்பாட்டில் செய்து தள்ளி இருக்கிறார்"!

He plays the song too, in another video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEOj2EUjlLI

I had a copy of the original song from a high quality version (finders keepers?) and it was awesome to play on the vaNdi each time. I'm not sure if this uploader used that version :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvUjyVWCkHM

Finally, the video of the song - which is not that great, but has some Kerala style club dance that Fazil could come up with :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcULnwSKFmk

Kamakodiyan is credited with lyrics - which are basically fillers / simply combing together some words to fit the tune:

பாட்டு இங்கே ர பப்பா
ஆட்டம் இங்கே ர பப்பா
இன்னிசை யாவும் மெல்ல நீ சேர
தேனுடன் பாலும் பூவுடன் வாழ

பகலில் மனிதர்க்கு மதியே துணை
இரவில் பலருக்கும் மதுவே துணை
ஏனென்றும் தெரியாது ஏக்கங்கள் புரியாது
ஏற்றிய பாரம் தாங்காது இறக்கிட நீயும் வா
ஏங்கிய உள்ளம் தூங்காது அமைதியை மீண்டும் தா
வா பூவே வா

அசையும் அசைவுகள் இசையின் நிழல்
அமைதித் திருவிழி இறைவன் மடல்
பூவே நீ சாமந்தி பொழுதில் நீ பொன்னந்தி
எனக்கொரு ராகம் நீ தானே புதுப்புது கீதம் தான்
தனித்தனி வாழ்க்கை ஏதேது இனியென்றும் இனிமை தான்
வா பூவே வா

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:42 pm

#15 vizhiyil vizhi mOdhi (Movie : kAdhalukku mariyAdhai)
(Vijay solo with Bhavatharini voice in background)

விழியில் விழி மோதி
(காதலுக்கு மரியாதை)

I remember talking in tfmpage about this album cassette that I got from a small R S Puram (Kovai) store - which was in the vicinity of that infamous bomb blast just a few days later Sad So, I often get reminded of the sad events of Coimbatore when I think of KM (i.e. the happenings right from the time when communal riots led to burning down the Shobha cloth store to the years that followed - all the unpleasant things that happened in that area over the years).

That way, even though this album was immensely successful for IR - after a couple of years of no-big-BO-hit-movie situation, it does not necessarily bring back pleasant memories to me Embarassed

I didn't realize initially that the singer was the same as the lead actor of the movie (SAC's son Vijay) Embarassed OTOH, Bhava's name was well-known to me Laughing  It's interesting that from such a "not-well-known" position at that time (i.e. to me in Palakkad), Vijay has become such a popular star in Kerala today. (I've even read a news report few years back of the tragic death of a fan in Vadakkanchery when trying to do pAlAbhishEkam for his cut-out for a new movie. Such milk-pouring for cine stars was something unheard of in Kerala during all the years I lived there).

Well, this must have been a very simple song for IR to put together Wink For Fazil, this movie was perhaps one of the biggest commercial successes in his career.

விழியில் விழி மோதி இதயக்கதவின்று திறந்ததே
இரவு பகலாக இதயம் கிளியாகிப் பறந்ததே
ஹே காதல் நெஞ்சே யாரோடு சொல்வேன்
வந்து போன தேவதை நெஞ்சை அள்ளிப் போனதே

ஹோ பேபி பேபி என் தேவ தேவி
ஹோ பேபி பேபி என் காதல் ஜோதி
ஒரு பார்வை வீசிச் சென்றாள் உலகம் விடிந்ததிங்கே
வார்த்தை பேசவில்லை எல்லாம் புரிந்ததிங்கே
இனி இதயமெல்லாம் தினமும் தினமும் மழை தான்

பார்வை விழுந்ததும் உயிர்வரி தேகம் நனைந்தது
ஸ்வாசம் முழுவதும் பூக்களின் வாசம் நிறைந்தது
நேற்று இந்த மாற்றம் எந்தன் நெஞ்சில் இல்லை
காற்று எந்தன் காதில் கவிதை சொல்லவில்லை
ஹோ இருதயம் இருபக்கம் துடிக்குதே
அலை வந்து அலை வந்து அடிக்குதே எனக்குள்ளே தான்

ஜீவன் மலர்ந்தது புது சுகம் என்றும்  வளர்ந்தது
தேவன் எழுதிடும் தீர்ப்புகள் இதுதான் புரிந்தது
ஊரைக்கேட்கவில்லை பேரும் தேவையில்லை
காலம் தேசம் எல்லாம் காதல் பாணியில்லை
ஓ தேவதை தரிசனம் கிடைத்ததே
ஆலயமணி இங்கு ஒலித்ததே என்னைத் தந்தேன்

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-iNDLWATvM

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:58 pm

#16 konjam thiRa konjam thiRa kaNNE (Movie : oru nAL oru kanavu)
(SG-Sonu Nigam duet)

கொஞ்சம் திற கொஞ்சம் திற கண்ணே
(ஒரு நாள் ஒரு கனவு)

A song that I've not heard much, despite among the "most recent ones" that IR did for Fazil. Whatever was the reason, this album's songs didn't reach me very well. (kAtRil varum geethamE was an exception, of course).

This song can boast of Shreya G (who as usual sings superb) and a nice melody. Unfortunately, the orch is something that I didn't warm up to (because of being in the tsk-tsk format that I disliked...some Malayalam movies of this time period also received similar "inexpensive sounding" arrangements to which I could not warm up to ; for example, mazhavillin song for a Sathyan Anthikkad movie that had a superb ArO pAdunnu dhoorE with a much superior orch / arrangements, I felt "what an inconsistency" Embarassed )

Regardless, if one loves SG's voice and singing, this is for you! Also, a nice catch for melody lovers, as mentioned above.

Fazil didn't seem to be interested in having the whole song picturized (couldn't locate on youtube, except for a 1 minute clip with this song)..

pAdal varigaL by Vaali are quite nice!

கொஞ்சம் திற கொஞ்சம் திற கண்ணே
உந்தன் கண்கள் வழி உள்ளிறங்க வேண்டும்
உள்ளுக்குள்ளே உள்ளுக்குள்ளே என்ன
என் உள்ளத்தாலே கண்டு கொள்ள வேண்டும்
மறைந்து கிடக்கும் மனதின் நிஜங்கள்
ரகசியம் அதிசயம் புதையலை அன்பே எடுக்கட்டுமா

உண்மையைச் சொல்லவா ஊமை போல் நடிக்கிறாய்
உதட்டிலே கசங்குதே வார்த்தைப் பூவே
மௌனமெனும் சாவியால் வாயை நீ பூட்டினாய்
வாடினேன் தேடினேன் திறவு கோலே
பொய் வேடம் ஆகாது மெய்யாகிப் போகாது
உன் வாயால் உண்மை நீ சொல்லு அதை நான் கேட்பேன்

பௌர்ணமிக் கண்களால் பாரடி கண்மணி
வெளிச்சத்தை வேண்டுதே எனது உலகே
தென்றலின் வார்த்தையால் பேசடி பொன்மணி
மலரத்தான் துடிக்குதே இதய மலரே
மலர்மேனிக் காயங்கள் மருந்தாலே மறைந்தோடும்
உள்ளத்தில் உள்ள காயங்கள் ஆறும் அன்பாலே

Audio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skQhCFruvFs

1 minute only video clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaDCwE-76Js

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:53 pm

#17 nilavuppAttu (Movie : kaNNukkuL nilavu)
(HH solo)

நிலவுப்பாட்டு
(கண்ணுக்குள் நிலவு)

Sweet song (despite the not-so-enjoyable singing of Hariharan Embarassed At times, he does "bite & spit" the words).

IIRC, people who reviewed this album on tfmpage were kind of disappointed with it. Not that the songs were bad or anything like that - most songs were liked by DF-ers. However, they were expecting at least one song to be a "big winner super hit" as did "ennaiththAlAtta varuvALA" of the previous album of this combo.

Well, it was not to be Smile

This song has nice orch (though mostly synth) and enjoyable. Pazhani Bharathi had written some good poetry here, notwithstanding the meaningless doubling of this nilavuppAttu phrase in the pallavi. I used to hate such doubling, often not an adukkuththodar but a simple meaningless exercise for "listener's retention" - which was almost like a major trend in the 90's & early millennium! Especially from the time ARR arrived. (Starting with that rukkumani rukkumani, almost all of his hit songs had to have the first word or phrase or other phrases within pallavi repeated, often in a meaningless way - nonsense. Well, that is only me - many other people seem to love it that way! One man's music is another's noise Embarassed ).

However, as I said, there're quite enjoyable lines in the song otherwise - especially the first saraNam is awesome (கனவுகள் வருவது விழிகளின் விருப்பமா? onward)

Enjoy the video that features Vijay & Shalini...Fazil's hit pair of 90's Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unbOhVtsrYA

நிலவுப்பாட்டு நிலவுப்பாட்டு ஓர் நாள் கேட்டேன்
மூங்கில் காட்டில் மூங்கில் காட்டில் நாளும் படித்தேன்
அந்த இசையின் ரகசியம் இரு உயிருக்குப் புரிந்தது
இரு உயிருக்குப் புரிந்தது இங்கு யாருக்குத் தெரிந்தது?
இசையில் கலந்து மிதக்கும் தென்றலே
இசையின் மகளைப் பார்த்தில்லையோ?

கனவுகள் வருவது விழிகளின் விருப்பமா?
கவிதைகள் வருவது கவிஞனின் விருப்பமா?
குயில்களின் இருப்பிடம் இசையால் அறியலாம்
மலர்ந்திடும் மலர்களை வாசனை சொல்லலாம்
குயில்களும் மலர்களும் அதிசயம்
கனவுகள் கவிதைகள் ரகசியம்

நிலவொன்று நடந்தது சுவடுகள் மனதிலே
மழை வந்து நனைத்தது இசையலை செவியிலே
கொலுசுகள் கீர்த்தனை யாரந்தத் தேவதை
விழிகளில் விரிகிறாள் யாரந்தத் தாமரை
இது ஒரு புதுவிதப் பரவசம்
மயக்குது இசையென்னும் அதிசயம்

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:53 pm

#18 uyirE uyirin oLiyE (Movie : en bommukkutty ammAvukku)
(KSC-KJY duet)

உயிரே உயிரின் ஒளியே
(என் பொம்முக்குட்டி அம்மாவுக்கு)

Excellent song - though the scene on screen is kind of melodramatic, the song is not into such a mode but presents very controlled emotions, even endearing & refreshing! IR displays even some comical sense in parts of the interludes (which are reflected in the flashback scenes shown by Fazil, nice coordination between the team members).

KJY at his best - this was the time period when his voice was at its peak, immensely enjoyable (he was belting out awesome numbers in Malayalam too in this time period, with a number of MDs). The same cannot be said about KSC (while she was phenomenal in Malayalam field in this time period, some of her Thamizh numbers weren't at par and this is one. She gets the emotions right but somehow the voice isn't "full-blown", could also be the issue of recording...however, it's much above anything that many other contemporaries or later-day singers could ever achieve).

Piraisoodan is the lyricist and this one is a "not-bad" category song for him Wink

Enjoy the video as well as pAdal varigaL below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJUY08HHeRY

உயிரே உயிரின் ஒளியே ஒருநாள் உறவா இதுவே
நம் பந்தங்கள் சொந்தங்கள் இன்றா நேற்றா அன்பே சொல்
இன்பங்கள் துன்பங்கள் என்றும் வாழ்வின் உண்மைகள்

வெள்ளி நிலா வானவெளி போவது போல்
பிள்ளை நிலா துள்ளி இங்கு வந்ததம்மா
அள்ளியள்ளிக் கட்டிக்கொள்ள ஆனந்தமாய்
கிள்ளைகளின் செல்லமொழி கேட்டதம்மா
ஒருமரச்சிறு கூட்டில் கிளி ஒன்று இல்லை
பிரிந்திடப் பொறுக்காது தாய் அன்பின் எல்லை
பால்முகம் மறக்காமல் தடுமாறும்
சேய்முகம் கண்டால்தான் நிலை மாறும்

தென்றல் ஒன்று தேகங்கொண்டு வந்தது போல்
சொந்தங்கொண்டு மன்றமதில் வந்ததென்ன
சொர்க்கமொன்று பூமி தன்னில் கண்டதுபோல்
இன்பங்களைத் தந்துவிட்டுச் சென்றதென்ன
துணையாய் வழிவந்து எனைச்சேர்ந்த அன்பே
இனியும் உனைப்போல இணை ஏது அன்பே
எனக்கென நீதானே நம் வாழ்வில்
உனக்கென நான்தானே எந்நாளும்

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next