Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

+15
[μsic]மாபியா
crimson king
BC
vss1902
al_gates
counterpoint
mythila
IsaiRasigan
jaiganesh
ravinat
Drunkenmunk
ank
Usha
app_engine
raagakann
19 posters

Page 3 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17 ... 31  Next

Go down

Any TN hits from "rAman adbullA"?

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 3 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 3 Vote_lcap43%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 3 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 3 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 3 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 3 Vote_lcap29%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 3 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 3 Vote_lcap14%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 3 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 3 Vote_lcap14%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 3 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 3 Empty Re: Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

Post  app_engine Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:29 pm

1981 appears to be like 1979 in terms of total volume (around 90 songs) and like 1980 in terms of % of super hit songs!

So, it's much bigger treat for IRFs of that time. Why not - with the flow of hits like alaigaL Oyvadhillai / panneer pushpangaL / rAjapArvai / tik tik tik / kazhugu / netRikkaN there were songs hitting the disk shops and beyond on a weekly basis I think! With more cassette players, more buses fitted with music and more tea shops serving out songs with thEneer, it was "all-year-festivity" for TFM lovers like me Smile

With netRikkaN, even KB bowed down to the IR-domination and signed him up for his home production, unlike the previous year when his "gang" had MSV mainly - vaRumaiyin niRam sivappu / mazhalaippattALam / avan avaL adhu kind of films that were BO hits with some super hit songs - sippi irukkudhu, thaLLu model vaNdi idhu, illam sangeetham that got played everywhere, keeping the MSV ship afloat. 

MSV also had a couple of Rajini hits, billA and pollAdhavan with K Balaji / Muktha films - so 1980 was not too bad for him but the overall output / success rate wasn't anywhere comparable to IR's. 

Coming back to 1981, there were also biggie albums that came out in that year but movies only next year, like moonRam piRai / thanikkAttu rAjA and such. As we are covering based on audio release year, they'll make it into these posts.

Unlike 1980, I will be writing tweet-sized comments for even part 1 songs and thus will need a couple of days to post Embarassed

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 3 Empty Re: Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:06 pm

1981 Super Hits of IR - Part 1a

Since there are more than 50 super hit TFM songs of IR in this single calendar year, I need to split the part 1 into more than one post Smile

BTW, a couple of these songs were from 1980 audio release "naNdu" and I missed out catalog-ing in that year, so including here (and the movie came out in 1981, so not too bad).

#265 aLLiththandha bhoomi annai allavA (MV solo, naNdu)
The song was regularly on radio, buses and teakkadais - despite being part of a movie that did dismally at BO. Mahendran was the director and it was his second dud after poottAdha poottukkaL. Actually, his success streak was over with NK in 1980 and he was pretty much done Sad Never had a major hit beyond that.

#266 manjaL veyil mAlai itta poovE (UR solo, naNdu)
This song was equally popular like the above, in similar channels. Though these two were not "sound-set" favorites, by this time IR no longer needed those kOlAmbi speakers to reach the farthest places of TN. The music culture had grown leaps and bounds by this time in the state that even in a very small place in a hilly region (a hamlet near a "town-like" Pannaikkadu in the kodaikkAnal hills) had huge box speakers playing nenjaththaikkiLLAdhE songs! The tea-stall / bus music phenomenon unique to TN had been one strong IR-effect on TN-ers and their culture.

#267 andhi mazhai pozhigiRadhu ovvoru thuLiyilum un mugam therigiRadhu (SJ-SPB duet with TVG humming, rAja pArvai)
indhiran-mundhiri-veeriyam business by Vairamuthu Laughing  Well, this song is popular to this day Embarassed

#268 oru ooril oru maharANi (MV and chorus, garjanai)
The terrific guitar uRumal song was a favorite in all channels those days.

#269 enna sugamAna ulagam (UR-MV duet, garjanai)
Despite the movie becoming a failure at BO (possibly in all three languages it got made - Thamizh / Kannada / Malayalam, peculiar combo) the songs were patti thotti popular. And the orch for the songs was way ahead of its times and are being appreciated even today as specials

#270 vandhadhu nalladhu nalla idam (SJ-SPB duet, garjanai)
"jum-thala jum-thala jum-thalakkA, soup-pukku kOzhiyum vandhadhakkA" nonsense by kavingar Embarassed  However, big hit everywhere 

#271 varuvAy anbE tharuvAy muththam (SJ-TKS Kalaivanan duet, garjanai)
Popular like the other three songs of the album, despite having an inexperienced male voice

#272 rAmanin mOhanam jAnaki mandhiram (SJ-KJY duet, netRikkaN)
With that terrific guitar interlude & lovely rhythm arrangement that go sweetly along with a killer melody, this song was very popular everywhere and is evergreen

#273 mAppiLLaikku mAman manasu mAmanukkO kAman manasu (PS-MV duet, netRikkaN)
IR can do all kinds of fusion, if some wanted western-ICM jugalbandhi in a துருத்திக்கிட்டு வெளியில் தெரியும் fashion, why not? patti-thotti hit despite the unconventional style

#274 theerAdha viLaiyAttuppiLLai (SPB and chorus, netRikkaN)
Relatively less popular than the previous two songs but a super hit nevertheless

#275 rAjA rANi jAcki (SPS-MV duet, netRikkaN)
Jazzy song, another unconventional orch for the time of arrival. The popularity was IIRC at same level as TVP (and not like rAmanin / mAppiLLaikku)

#276 vizhiyil un vizhiyil oru poo pooththadhO (PS-SPB duet, rAm latchumaN)
akkA-thambi sounding PS-SPB Embarassed The song was popular everywhere and I heard it mostly on buses

#277 nadakkattum rAjA namma rAjjiyam (SPB solo, rAm latchumaN)
Another "yAnai" song for dEvar films movie Embarassed with Kamal riding it this time, got played everywhere

#278 vAlibamE vA vA (SPS-SPB duet, rAm latchumaN)
Per my observation, the most popular of the album. I simply loved the terrific orch / sounds and wanted radio to only play this song all the time (and got disappointed when other songs from the album got played after the movie's name got announced)

Will continue with more super hits of this year, like panneer pushpangaL , alaigaL Oyvadhillai in the next post Smile

Last edited by app_engine on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:51 pm

1981 Super Hits Part 1b

#279 kOdai kAlakkAtRE (MV solo, panneer pushpangaL)
Should I even talk about the popularity of this song? Some even consider this as MV's career best.

#280 poonthaLirAda (SJ-SPB duet with chorus, panneer pushpangaL)
@jvazhkudai picked this as the song to open a thread in the hub, with the title " 1000 songs to hear before you die " Smile  Fantastic song and extremely popular / evergreen

#281 Anandha rAgam kEtkum kAlam (UR solo, panneer pushpangaL)
Telugu director RGV remade this song in Hindi in the new millennium, with Shreya Goshal's voice (Shiva 2006). Should I say anything more about it being a "hit"? Smile

#282 putham pudhukkAlai (SJ solo, alaigaL Oyvadhillai)
Another case of "remade in new millennium". In this case, even the remake with a super singer voice got 10 million+ hits on youtube Smile

#283 vAdi en kappakkezhangE (Jency-RDB-GA-Sundarrajan-IR group song, alaigaL Oyvadhillai)
patti-thotti hit, recently in the IR-1000 function actress Radha talked about it I think Wink

#284 Ayiram thAmarai mottukkaLE (SJ-SPB duet with chorus, alaigaL Oyvadhillai)
I can still recall those days when I was waiting to hear this song in the Trichy AIR Sunday 1 PM program that featured "current songs". Used to get ecstatic with that first interlude every time! Interestingly, this was also among the first few songs that I've EVER SEEN on TV! (It was during my visit to Chennai for "Guindy-engg-admission-interview" that I saw oliyum-oLiyum for the first time in life and this song got featured, in a 12 or 14 inch B&W TV at my cousin's home)

#285 kAdhal Oviyam pAdum kAviyam (Jency-IR duet, alaigaL Oyvadhillai)
Popular to this day! 

#286 vizhiyil vizhundhu (BSS-IR duet, alaigaL Oyvadhillai)
People who blame IR for "not pushing the envelope  or think outside box but always following pallavi saranam pallavi format" should listen to this. Well, very popular at arrival and evergreen

#287 vEdham nee iniya nAdham nee (KJY solo, kOyil puRA)
Though they kept telling the names of the nAdhaswaram artists each time they played on radio, personally I don't think this song should be featured as a 'nAdhas-special'  Embarassed

#288 amudhE thamizhE azhagiya mozhiyE enadhuyirE (UR-PS duet, kOyil puRA)
Another very popular song from that terrific album

#289 thAlAttudhE vAnam (SJ-PJ duet, kadal meengaL)
Very popular those days - got played in every medium available frequently

#290 enRenRum AnandhamE (MV solo, kadal meengaL)
Though I was upset those days why SPB wasn't picked to sing this hip number, over the years I've come to appreciate MV being appropriate for this number Embarassed Though not as frequently played as thAlAttudhE vAnam (being a Suman song in a Kamal movie), this was super hit as well

#291 madhani madhani machchAn illaiyA (PS-MV duet, kadal meengaL)
patti-thotti hit. Also known for the "madhani-kozhundhan-incest-reference" controversy (though the movie had nothing like that but only unmarried lovers' duet); they had to change the on-screen version as 'mayilE mayilE machchAn illaiyA' for censor clearance Laughing I don't remember whether this got played on AIR or not

#292 ponnOviyam kaNdEnammA engengum (SJ-IR duet with chorus, kazhugu)
Very popular and most sought-after by "recording center visitors" those days. Of course, fantastic arrangements / vocal harmony / bass etc

#293 oru poovanaththula sugam kuLukuLungudhu (SPB solo, kazhugu)
Super hit song and a personal fav. Terrific #IR_waltz!

There are more to come in this group, like tik-tik-tik, in the next post :-)

Last edited by app_engine on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:10 am

1981 Super Hits Part 1 balance

Hopefully the remaining super hit songs whose audio got released this year can be completed in this post...

#294 madhana mOha rooba sundari (SPS-MV duet, inRu pOy nALai vA)
Though I place this among this list, because of the song being well-known everywhere in TN those days, it wasn't anywhere comparable to the big hit songs from other KBR movies (like mouna geethangaL, thooRal ninnu pOchchu, mundhAnai mudichchu)

#295 ammAdi chinnappAppA reNdu kaNNAlE ennappAththA (DC-TLM-MV group song, inRu pOy nALai vA)
The comment for the song above is applicable to this song as well

#296 barlA barlA (MV solo, ellAm inba mayam)
This song got played in all channels available in that time period, though not that greatly liked by me

#297 mAman voodu machchu voodu (MV and chorus, ellAm inba mayam)
While not comparable to the 'AhA vandhuruchchu' levels, this song had enough response in the available channels

#298 nEtRu indha nEram (Latha Rajinikanth solo, tik tik tik)
While this song could only take the 3rd spot in popularity within that album, it was a favorite among tea-stalls per my personal observation Smile

#299 poo malarndhida nadamidum ponmayilE (Jency / KJY duet with TVG jathis, tik tik tik)
Very popular - should I say, "to this day"?

#300 idhu oru nilAkkAlam (SJ solo with TVG's nadhir dhinA, tik tik tik)
Don't take my word for it - please ask super singer / sun singer fellows Wink

#301 koondhalilE mEgam vandhu (SPS-KJY duet, bAla nAgammA)
Very popular song from a hit movie powered by Sridevi (and not a big hero)

#302 paLLi aRaikkuL malligaiyai aLLi iRaiththEn (UR solo, bAla nAgammA)
I would have heard this song more on buses than other media, but definitely very popular

#303 oru kunguma chengamalam (SPB solo with SJ humming, ArAdhanai)
Though not many people knew anything about the movie, the song was well-known and got played in all channels available those days

#304 O nenjamE idhu un rAgamE (SJ-DC duet, enakkAga kAthiru)
Super hit song from another unknown movie (directed by Niwas, the BR camera man IIRC)

#305 poo mEla veesum poongAththE en mEl veesa mAttAyA (VJ-KJY duet, echchil iravugaL)
Very popular in all channels despite being from another dud movie. The first line of pallavi had similarity with a song in premAbhishekam Telugu that came out in 1981 also. Could be a coincidence or inspiration for one from another. Funnily, GA re-used that tune in vAzhvE mAyam but allegedly claimed that his tune and his aNNan tune were similar Laughing

#306 kaNNE kalaimAnE (KJY solo, moonRAm piRai)
The movie came out in 1982 but the album got released in the year prior. So, we get to document this in this post Smile

#307 ponmEni urugudhE (SJ solo, moonRAm piRai)
Silukku-Kamal dance song with mukkal munagal - IR had the distinction of making a mukkal-munagal song getting played everywhere Embarassed Even MGR-Sivaji weren't successful  to this scale with this category of songs.

#308 narikkadhai (Sridevi-Kamal duet, moonRAm piRai)
Story for kid, told in a mischievous way (kAdu mArippOchchu - kalar thEdippOchchu) BTW, Sridevi was a great "voice-actress" (also)

#309 poongAtRu pudhidhAnadhu (KJY solo, moonRAm piRai)
Still cannot come to terms with IR / Kamal / BM gumbal changing this song in Hindi to become yEh zindagi Sad

#310 vAnengum thanga viNmeengaL (SJ-SPB duet with chorus, moonRAm piRai)
That this song was in the regular small-size disks possibly restricted the reach those days (compared to others in the album), especially with AIR which hardly ever played this song Embarassed

#311 mEgam karukkudhu mazha varappAkkudhu (SJ-KJY duet with GA doing thogaiyaRA, Anandha rAgam)
Apart from listening to this song often in the college hostel, I had heard in all kinds of settings

#312 kadalORam kadalOram alaigaL veesi viLaiyAdum (KJY-IR duet, Anandha rAgam)
Similar to the song above

#313 oru rAgam pAdalOdu (SJ-KJY duet, Anandha rAgam)
Most popular song of the album, darling of radios and tea-shops...it was a thrill to listen to this song in good speakers those days

#314 metti oli kAtROdu en nenjaiththAlAtta (SJ-IR duet, metti)
That a complicated-melody like this became mainstream popular is another "shottu" to IR's brand name!

#315 sandhana kAtRE senthamizh ootRE (SJ-SPB duet, thanikkAttu rAjA)
I think this movie's title also is getting abused (is it Dhanush or someone else who is reusing this time?)

#316 rAsAvE onna nAn eNNiththAn (SPS solo, thanikkAttu rAjA)
Perhaps the top song for SPS in her career

#317 nAn thAndA ippO dEvadAs (SPB solo, thanikkAttu rAjA)
One of the many "drinking" songs that became popular in tfm history

#318 sangaththil pAdAdha kavidhai (SJ-IR duet, Auto rAjA)
Interesting case of someone getting an IR song (Thamizh equivalent of the Malayalam classic thumbi vA) for a movie with S-G as MD's. The SPB solo, 'malarE ennenna kObam' by S-G was also popular from this album.

OK, I'm done with the super hits, but we're not done with 1981 yet...there are more "hit" songs that perhaps didn't have the reach of these 54 songs!

Last edited by app_engine on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:04 pm

app,
 kadhal ennum kovil katti vaithen from Kazhugu.. sollitengala..... first indha paatu dhan radio hit..........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:50 pm

Usha wrote:app,
 kadhal ennum kovil katti vaithen from Kazhugu.. sollitengala..... first indha paatu dhan radio hit..........

Not yet, it is coming up in the "hits" post next Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:40 pm

1981 Hits Part 2

As per the thread's definition, while the songs listed here below were hits, they didn't match the popularity of those in part 1 (super hits). I agree these were possibly more popular in some places / better-known to some forumers. This degree of variation / boxing could be due to my level of exposure. However, because I was in +2 / college 1st year and was a lot more "vetti" than most people coming to this thread, had better opportunity to observer Laughing

#319 azhagE azhagu dEvadhai (KJY solo, rAjapArvai)
No need to explain the degree of popularity of this song compared to andhimazhai pozhigiRadhu Smile

#320 vizhiyOraththukkanavum (BSS-KH duet, rAjapArvai)
Same as the case above

#321 kuththum oosi valikkum (VJ solo, garjanai)
I'm not sure why I haven't heard this song as many times as the others from that album. It's quite possible that this wasn't part of a "4 song" disk and thus didn't get played in a number of settings, besides the fact that the movie was a flop Embarassed Also, quite possible that AIR shunned it.

#322 EriyilE elandha maram thangachchi vachcha maram (SJ-IR and chorus, karaiyellAm sheNbagappoo)
I've listened to this song on radio / buses / teakkadais and other settings. Just that the frequency of that wasn't anywhere near those in the superhit list. For some reason, this terrific album didn't get the reach it deserved. 

#323 kAdellAm pichchippoovu (IR solo, karaiyellAm sheNbagappoo)
This song possibly had the max reach from this album, just short of super-hit popularity

#324 kalyAN rAman (SJ-SPB duet, karaiyellAm sheNbagappoo)
Popular on radio. Not so much on other territories. However, I don't want to open part 3 for just this one song Wink

#325 nAn dhAn ungappndA nalla muththuppErandA (SPB solo, rAm latchuman)
The song got noticed in recent years due to some UK connection. Was moderately popular at the time the album arrived.

#326 vengAya sAmbArum vEgAdha sORum (DC-SNS-TKS Kalivanan-Jyothiraman group song, panneer pushpangaL)
Popular among youth for a short time, kumudam(?) reported that this was plagiarized from some western song, not a personal favorite

#327 dharisanam kidaikkAdhA (IR-SJ two versions, short song from alaigaL Oyvadhillai)
This song was perhaps as popular as the others in that album, mainly because it got recorded along with others in cassettes - otherwise not so dearly remembered by people of that time, strictly OK song IMHO

#328 mAnE oru mangalachchippi un thAyE (PS solo, kadal meengaL)
Popular on radio and bus travels, not as widely popular as others from that album. themmAngu-thAlAttu and a personal fav

#329 kAdhalennum kOyil (soolamangalam Murali solo, kazhugu)
Radio-hit and was also sought after for personal recordings

#330 thEdum deivam nEril vandhadhO (SJ-MV duet with chorus, kazhugu)
Song was a hit on all kinds of media but the frequency it got played wasn't anywhere near ponnOviyam or oru poovanaththula

#331 pala nAL Asai thirunAL Achchu (PS-MV duet, inRu pOy nALai vA)
Radio and buses, as said before not in the scale of mouna geethangaL / thooRal ninnu pOchchu / mundhAnai mudichchu

#332 mEri pyAri dil ki rANi (TLM solo, inRu pOy nALai vA)
Fun song that got played widely

#333 sollachcholla enna perumai (SPB solo, ellAm inba mayam)
The song was reasonably popular -given that there were tons of IRFs / KHFs those days but not a patti-thotti hit. Funnily, this became a youtube hit and also started the "finders keepers" thingy in recent years Smile

#334 onnum onnum reNdu thAnE (SJ-IR duet, ellAm inba mayam)
Frequently played on tea shops and buses per my recall - not sure if radio listeners loved it big time

#335 pEsu en anbE un anbai ennenbEn (BSS-SPS-SPB "double-duet" song, vidiyum varai kAththiru)
Fantastic song IMHO but didn't match the popularity of MG/TNP/MM movies of KBR. So placing it under hits

#336 neengAdha eNNam onRu nenjOdu uNdu (SJ-MV duet, vidiyum varai kAththiru)
More popular than pEsu en anbE those days

#337 sangeetham en dheham anRO (VJ solo, bAla nAgammA)
Radio hit - was also heard on buses every now and then those days

#338 neer kodukka piRandhadhammA (PS-SJ duet, bAla nAgammA)
Another radio hit that was occasionally heard on other media

#339 iLam paniththuLi vizhum nEram (Radhika solo, ArAdhanai)
Got played on radio every now and then ; sought after by "recording" fellows in the coming years as well

#340 dhAgam edukkuRa nEram (UR solo, enakkAga kAthiru)
I've heard this song in all kinds of settings those days - though not as frequently as 'O nenjamE'

#341 pani mazhai vizhum paruvakkuLir ezhum (SPS-DC duet, enakkAga kAthiru)
Most popular on IOKS as per my memory

#342 kanavugaLE kanavugaLE (KJY solo, Anandha rAgam)
This was the least popular song of the album, though it had enough of its airtime. It was popular even prior to the arrival of the movie. Had the movie clicked, this had the potential to be played more frequently Embarassed

#343 sandhakkavigaL pAdidum manadhinil (Brammanandham solo, metti)
Was frequently on radio and sometimes on buses. Had the potential to be more popular had it been in a different movie Embarassed

#344 kalyANam enna mudikka (Jency with chorus and dialogs by Radhika / Rajesh, metti)
Fun song with seamless switching of a variety of genres, as if it were nothing to compose. Limited reach compared to many songs of Mahendran movies but can safely be called a "hit"

#345 kAdhal paN pAdu (KJY solo, eera vizhikkAviyangaL)
Not sure even many HCIRFs will agree with me calling this a hit - but it was a simple fact that I've heard this song any number of times in the "Main Guard Gate  to REC" buses in Trichy Smile along with a couple other songs of this album. Also, radio played it many times those days.

#346 en gAnam inRu arangERum (Jency-IR duet, eera vizhikkAviyangaL)
Please read the comment for kAdhal paN pAdu, same comments applicable

#347 kanavil midhakkum (KJY solo, eera vizhikkAviyangaL)
Ditto as the above two songs

#348 koovungaL sEvalgaLE (SPB solo, thanikkAttu rAjA)
I've moved a few songs from this album to this category, to differentiate the popularity enjoyed by those three in "grade A" (sandhana kAtRE, rAsAvE onna nAn eNNiththAn & nAn dhAndA ippO dEvadAs)

#349 mullai arumbE mellaththirumbu enna kuRumbu (SJ-MV duet, thanikkAttu rAjA)
Possibly the least popular song of the album in a relative sense - once again due to reasons inexplicable

#350 nAn thAn top-pu medhiyellAm dupe-u (SPB and chorus, thanikkAttu rAjA)
Was frequently on buses and tea-shops but relatively B grade popularity

#351 AvAram kAttukkuL thEvAramAm (UR-MV duet, archchanaippookkaL)
Heard mainly on radio and buses. Also in the hostel. 

#352 kAviriyE kAviriyE (SJ-SPB duet, archchanaippookkaL)
Frequently heard on buses and radio. Of course, a personal favorite Smile

#353 mounamE nenjil nALum nee ezhudhum kanavE kavidhai (KJY solo with IR starting the song, uRangAdha ninaivugaL)
Interesting to see that the song came out in 1981 and the movie only in 1983. I don't even remember now how I got intro'd to this song - but heard many times in a wide variety of settings those days

#354 panikkAtRin kuLumai paruva nenjai vAttudhE (SJ solo, panchami)
Hit song from a movie-never-released album Embarassed By this time, not just IOKS but the recording centers and other media (mainly buses and tea shops) helped popularize such songs

#355 udhaya kAlamE (PS solo, panchami)
Ditto like the song above, signature IR-chords for a nAdan song

#356 mAlai veyil (MV solo, panchami)
Another song from this unknown / unreleased movie, that got played frequently in the available channels those days. Sweet themmAngu!

OK, we are done now, with all the IR-TFM-Hits of & until 1981 Smile  The chart will be updated and posted ASAP.

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:51 pm

Summation updated until 1981 (and that's how I found one error in numbering, fixed it all thru Embarassed )

YearCat A (Super Hits)Cat B (Hits)Cat C (Moderate Hits)Year Total
19815438N/A92
Total so far

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  IsaiRasigan Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:06 am

'Dharisanam kidaikaatha' is just a OK song? Sir, IMHO that is the best song in that album:)

Especially the lines 'Poyyillai kannukkul thee valarthen...' never failed to bring tears to my eyes. Majestic IR. Definitely one of his best songs which not even SPB could have done justice.

Seems, you were not in love at that time:)

IsaiRasigan

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:48 pm

IsaiRasigan wrote:Seems, you were not in love at that time:)

Smile

Radio was still my personal "main channel" at that time. (Others weren't as regularly / readily accessible).

On radio, in general, any "short song" was not my pick from IR albums - simply because it was in a way robbing my precious IR-music time (which AIR will gift to irritating songs of other MDs like that 4 stanza mAn kaNda sorgangaL).

That is, such short songs didn't fulfill a "full-meal" experience during radio days (like V_Sji's opinion on some ammA kaNakku short songs recently).

Just imagine a whole week waiting for the AIR Trichy Sunday program, for ONE AO song on your personal home setting, and it happened to be 'thOththiram pAdiyE' or 'siriththa mugamum kaNdu' Sad

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:34 pm

As expected, there are more than 100 hits in TFM by IR in the year 1982 - a simple scan shows me something like 120+ hits from Anbu sir's spreadsheet. These were playing on a variety of channels in TN for many years (some of them even now).

This was the year of huge commercial hit albums as payaNangaL mudivadhillai (from which the culture of "iLayarAjAvin innisai mazhaiyil" on posters started), sakalakalA vallavan, ninaivellAm nithyA & an unexpected album!

salangai oli Shocked

I'm surprised this audio came out in 1982 itself as per Anbu sir Embarassed Embarassed  

For me, this was a rare case of hearing the songs for the first time when watching the movie and it was in summer of 1983 - that historic day of Kapil Dev 175* against Zimbabwe in world cup Embarassed  (from 17/5 to 266/8 Laughing ) ( BTW, went to the hub for a few minutes and read my posts + some discussion with Plum on the album those days )

Well, I will start posting the songs that made into super hit category in installments - there were just too many Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:25 pm

1982 Super Hits - Part 1 installment a

#357 boopALam isaikkum poomagaL oorvalam (UR-KJY duet, thooRal ninnu pOchchu)
First super hit album from IR for KBR direction, even though there was pudhiya vArppugaL before with KBR as hero which was a mega hit but with a different director. The two movies that IR did with KBR as director prior to this - namely inRu pOy nALai vA and vidiyum varai kAthiru had hit songs but the whole albums weren't patti-thotti hits. Also, those movies were average hits unlike some other movies of KBR. TNP was the first big hit for the combo. This song played everywhere those days.

#358 thangachchangili minnum paingiLi (SJ-MV duet, thooRal ninnu pOchchu)
Bass guitar beauty - played in buses all the time. BTW, the movie had to be renamed in posters as 'chAral ninnu pOyi' in Kerala Laughing ("thooRaL" in Malayalm means ஆயி in kid's bAshai)

#359 thAlAtta nAn poRandhEn (MV solo, thooRal ninnu pOchchu)
MV's voice was perhaps the best fit for KBR - even though he had a lot of success with the voices of KJY & SPB as well

#360 ErikkaraippoongAtRE (KJY solo, thooRal ninnu pOchchu)
This is a rare kind of a song - it has KJY doing some "mimicry" towards the end Laughing  I don't think he did it often in TFM

#361 En sOga kathaiyakkELu thAykkulamE (MV-Sundarrajan duet with KBR vasanam, thooRal ninnu pOchchu)
Biggest hit song of the album and my least preferred number

#362 nadhiyil Adum poovanam (SJ-SPB duet with some thogaiyaRA by DC / TKS Kalaivanan, kAdhal Oviyam)
The LP record showed a "mottai" IR teaching BR to play guitar Laughing Though the songs became popular everywhere, the movie flopped. 

#363 kuyilE kuyilE (SJ-SPB duet, kAdhal Oviyam)
The only song in the album that was not penned by VM - Panju A wrote the lyrics. Tunes simply flowed like aruvi those days from IR!

#364 nAdham en jeevanE (SJ solo, kAdhal Oviyam)
A favorite to this day for many - including the reality show fellows

#365 poovil vaNdu koodum (SPB solo, kAdhal Oviyam)
This was perhaps more favored by AIR fellows than the other songs - don't know why. Excellent number again!

#366 poojaikkAga vAzhum poovai (DC solo, kAdhal Oviyam)
IIRC, this is often quoted as "SPB's magnanimity song" Laughing i.e. the track singing of DC was so good that SPB refused to sing another version. That way, even though the movie was about a singer (which could have been better with a single voice for the whole album), more than one male got playback credits

#367 ammA azhagE (SPB solo, kAdhal Oviyam)
Played everywhere those days - especially buses

#368 veLLichchalangaigaL koNda kalaimagaL (SPB and chorus, kAdhal Oviyam)
Most exciting song for me when the album came out (and still a big fav.) 

#369 sangeetha jAthi mullai (SPB solo, kAdhal Oviyam)
James Vasanthan once remarked that this song should be banned from reality shows Laughing (Of course, it was one occasion when most HCIRFs would have agreed with him - the song had been murdered by tons of wannabe singers in TV competitions)

Like I said in the prior post, there are just too many super hits from this year and I need to make more installments Embarassed

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:28 am

app,

oru paatu.. busil kaetu iruken. radiovilum kaetu iruken.. year 81 or 82..... 

atha maga thangathuku..... idharku mel nyabagam ilai....... IR paatu dhan idhu endru ninaikiren.. enna padam endrum theiryavillai......

Raja sir paatu list.. neenga sonna list paatu ellam. apodhu radio and bus endru kaeta pozhudhu. pudhu paatu. endra aasaiyil kaetadhaga irukalam..

anal.. ithanai varuda anubavathil.. unarndhadhu....

Raja Sir... paatu patri... sila vishayangal pesum podhu.... adhu ragamaga irukalam... harmony aga irukalam.... counterpoint aga irukalam.....ipadi
pudhu vishayamga kaetpadal....

kaetkum paatu ellam pudhidaga...  oru science padam madhiri... padam purindhal.. padika asaiyga irukum.. adhai pola than Raja sir paatu ellam..

idhai thavira.. Radio and bus.. Sound quality... sadharanamana naatkal dhan apodhu.. anal ipodhu.. nalla sound system.. idhil paatu kaetkum podhu..

kaetkadha pudhu sound. chinna chinna sound ellam kaetkum podhu..... manadhil acharyaam.. ipodhan kaadhu kaetkara madhiiri oru feelings........

adhanal.. epodhum oru pudhumaiyana oru unarvu dhan................

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:52 pm

Usha wrote:app,

oru paatu.. busil kaetu iruken. radiovilum kaetu iruken.. year 81 or 82..... 

atha maga thangathuku..... idharku mel nyabagam ilai....... IR paatu dhan idhu endru ninaikiren.. enna padam endrum theiryavillai......

It is from a 1983 film, 'thangamadi thangam' as per database. 

I've heard this song many times too.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:44 pm

1982 Super Hits - Part 1 Installment b

#370  AththOram kAththAda oru Asa thONudhu (Jency solo, engEyO kEtta kural)
This movie was a moderate success (remember seeing 50 day kind of posters) but the scale was nothing compared to sakala kalA vallavan that got released on the same day. (Pretty much the same team, SPM / PA / IR but the movies were poles apart. Recently I saw EKK on youtube and was very impressed!)  That way, even though this song was very popular, the scale was nothing compared to SKV songs

#371 pattu vaNNachchElaikkAri (MV solo, engEyO kEtta kural)
Biggest hit of this movie / album. Heard it hundreds of times on radio / buses / tea shops those days. (This song seems to be a fav of the raajafm person, plays it often)

#372 mAlai soodakkaNNE rAdhA nAL varAdhA (SPS-SPB duet, kaNNE rAdhA)
Second hit movie for the newly arrived hero-heroine pair (Karhtik-Radha, after AO) and this song was very popular those days, playing in buses and other public sources of music

#373 amman kOyil kizhakkAlE (IR solo with some chorus, sakala kalA vallavan)
Title song of that blockbuster movie / album. Terrific themmAngu and the first line later became a movie title.

#374 nilA kAyudhu nEram nalla nEram (SJ-MV duet, sakala kalA vallavan)
The song is popular to this day. One of the recent references is in the popular hit movie 'veNNila kabadikkuzhu'

#375 katta vaNdi katta vaNdi (MV solo, sakala kalA vallavan)
patti-thotti hit of phenomenal proportions

#376 katta vaNdi katta vaNdi (SPS and chorus, sakala kalA vallavan)
Big hit - but less than the male version

#377 iLamai idhO idhO (SPB and chorus, sakala kalA vallavan)
Despite my liking for SPB, this song is enjoyed more without vocals IMHO Embarassed Even that "track" was very popular Smile

#378 nEththu rAththiri yammA (SJ-SPB duet, sakala kalA vallavan)
A rare song for which both Kamal and Rajini acted in different millenniums Laughing  Another rare case of SJ doing two mukkal-munagal songs in the same album, one with MV and another with SPB. Both were hits of phenomenal proportions and continue to be popular decades later.

#379 EdhO mOgam EdhO dhAgam (SJ-Krishnachandar duet, kOzhi koovudhu)
I won't hesitate to call this song "re-definition of IFM, with new grammar by IR". Something that prompted R D Burman to say that IR was 10 years ahead of the rest in Indian film industry. 

#380 poovE iLaya poovE (MV solo with some chorus, kOzhi koovudhu)
IR's home production company (pAvalar creations) was perhaps the only establishment that had some soft corner on Silukku Smitha those days. In AO, they showed her in saree as a regular homemaker, the compassionate aNNi of heroine. In this movie too, she had a relatively respectable role - possibly among the only few in her whole career. 

I guess IR had some mercy on that lady. Her on-screen appearance for this song is quite a rare one in her entire career (that ended in a suicide unfortunately). 

Let us give some credit to the 'pAvalar brothers' for this, by inserting the youtube here - uncharacteristic to this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=podBImbK5D0

#381 Ayar pAdi kaNNanE anbai aLLiththArAyO (SJ solo, kozhi koovudhu)
SJ singing in an abaswaram voice (to suit Bindhu Ghosh) and even this song was so popular those days, frequently playing in public address systems Embarassed

#382 veeraiyA veeraiyA nee ippO yAraiyyA (SPS and chorus, kOzhi koovudhu)
patti thotti hit those days, prompted IR to give a ton of similar "Adam-teasing" songs to SPS in the coming days Embarassed  On a personal front, I was thrilled those days with the "sounds" in this song that were quite novel

#383 pottappuLLa ellArukkum (SPS-MV duet, kOzhi koovudhu)
Love-duet for silukku-Prabhu and the song was a patti thotti hit those days. With terrific interludes and catchy rhythm, personal fav for me. (It's funny to see that censor has played with this song also, some lines have been changed for the on-screen version, like poovE iLaya poovE)

#384 aNNE aNNE sippAyaNNE (Dr Samuel Grubb, DC, Sundarrajan, Vidhyadhar group song, kOzhi koovudhu)
Very popular at the time of arrival and the voice of Samuel Grubb in this song became a fav for many mimicry fellows. Well this movie was first directorial attempt of Gangai Amaran and the movie was a big hit enabling him to do some more movies and remarkable among them was karagAttakkAran Smile

Will continue with more songs from this year...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:53 pm

1982 Super Hits - Part 1 Installment c

#385 iLaya nilA pozhigiRadhE (SPB solo, payaNangaL mudivadhillai)
Guitar special. Well, there's a separate thread by Nerd in the forum, to vote for the best song of this super hit album Smile  All the songs had SPB and I've written about them in the IR-SPB thread of the hub too. Moreover, these songs are mentioned in 100's of posts and it would be boring to repeat Smile

#386 sAlaiyOram sOlai onRu (SJ-SPB duet, payaNangaL mudivadhillai)
Orchestral delight (mouth-watering prelude) from the super hit album. The movie became a blockbuster because of songs.

#387 rAga deepam EtRum nEram (SPB solo, payaNangaL mudivadhillai)
The mood shift in second interlude / charaNam is so lovely

#388 maNi Osai kEttu ezhundhu (SJ-SPB duet, payaNangaL mudivadhillai)
irumal song, R Sundarrajan recently joked that a boy was adjudged adversely and not given first place because he "coughed" when singing this song (by a real court judge who attended the competition Laughing )

#389 thOgai iLamayil Adi varugudhu (SPB solo, payaNangaL mudivadhillai)
Evergreen hit - among the top half of the super hit album!

#390 Ey AththA AththOramA vAriyA (SPB solo, payaNangaL mudivadhillai)
R Sundarrajan documented the impact of IR-TFM on people's lives in this song on-screen Wink

#391 vaigaRaiyil vaigai karaiyil (SPB solo, payaNangaL mudivadhillai)
Well, current youth and future generations may not believe that there was a time when such azhuvAchchi songs could become super hits in TN Embarassed

#392 janani janani (IR with DC / TKS Kalaivanan, thAy mookAmbigai)
It was during this time period that IR did a total U turn, from "bell bottom - step cutting - cooling glasses" to "mottai-rudhrAkshakkottai" Smile  This song has since then attained a cult status (though it wasn't such a biggie at the time of arrival, say, like the devotionals of prior era e.g. marudhamalai mAmaNiyE or those by Seerkazhi / TMS)

#393 cheenaththu pattu mEni iLanjittu mEni (PS-MV duet, thAy mookAmbigai)
Even many (current) IRFs may question my observation that this was more popular than janani janani when the album came out Smile Also, unlike typical sAmi padams / albums, IR didn't worry about including such a cool "western" number in this case Smile

#394 veLLaippuRA onRu (Happy SJ-KJY duet, puthukkavidhai)
IIRC, this was the second kavidhayala movie after netRikkaN with mostly same combo (IR-SPM-Rajini). The songs were terrific and super hits!

#395 veLLaippuRA onRu (Pathos KJY solo, puthukkavidhai)
Not as popular as the happy one but was heard in all channels in that time period

#396 vA vA vasandhamE (MV solo, puthukkavidhai)
What a terrific song! Evergreen!

#397 arE vArE vA iLam poovE vA (SJ-KJY duet, puthukkavidhai)
Another super hit song that was heard in buses / teakkadais etc frequently those days!

Will come back with another biggie album of this year in the next post Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:34 pm

1982 Super Hits Part 1 Installment d

#398 rOjAvaiththAlAttum thenRal (SJ-SPB duet, ninaivellAm nithyA)
Third super hit IR album for director Sridhar, great hit songs for a dud flop movie Embarassed The heroine JiJi (daughter of Gemini Ganesan) was very popular until the release of the film Laughing I think she pursued some other carrier goal once the movie's result was known. Evergreen album / songs, however!

#399 nee thAnE endhan pon vasantham (SPB solo, ninaivellAm nithyA)
One of the best ever interludes by IR is in this song (the one prior to 2nd saraNam). The other fame of this song is well-known to recent IRFs, courtesy Gautam.

#400 thOLin mElE bAram illE (SPB solo with some chorus, ninaivellAm nithyA)
Fantastic drum / guitar work, years ahead of the IFM industry! 

#401 kAnal neer pOl endhan kAdhal (SJ solo, ninaivellAm nithyA)
Same tune as rOjAvaiththAlAttum but with different lyrics / interludes.

#402 kannippoNNu kai mElE (PS-MV duet, ninaivellAm nithyA)
IR goes on a rampage (esp. with drums) whenever the director indicates "tribal song" and this song is no exception!

#403 pani vizhum malarvanam (SPB solo, ninaivellAm nithyA)
கைகள் இடைகளில் நெளிகையில் இடைவெளி குறைகையில் எரியும் விளக்கு சிரித்துக்கண்கள் மூடும் Wink

#404 yEn purushan dhAn enakku mattum dhAn (BSS-SPS duet, gOpurangaL sAyvadhillai)
Manivannan's directorial debut movie had nice songs and hits. This song, however, is not a personal fav Embarassed

#405 pudichchAlum pudichchEn (Krishnachandar solo, gOpurangaL sAyvadhillai)
Another super hit song from the movie where Suhasini acted as "arukkANi" with a thEL kodukku koNdai hair-dressing (but the puLiyangombu referred in this song is Radha)

#406 poo vAdaikkAtRu (Krishnachandar - SJ duet, gOpurangaL sAyvadhillai)
My fav. number from this album. Though not as great as 'EdhO mOgam" by the same pair, it's a charming song with some nice guitar passages. 

#407 pookkaL sindhungaL konjum dEva sandhangaL (SJ-SPB duet, nizhal thEdum nenjangaL)
My pulse used to egiRify whenever this song started to play those days (especially in those buses that ran from Main Guard Gate to Thuvakkudi). What a song! Nobody cared for the movie, however (directed by Niwas, who was BR's first camera man and worked with him from 16V - KE / directed kallukkuL eeram etc)

#408 enna solli nAn ezhudha en mannavanin manam kuLira (PS solo, rANiththEni)
This song and the movie got a lot of press coverage prior to the release (AVM Rajan's goodwill with the media community probably, his daughter's debut movie). Great song and a big hit but that's about it. The movie went back to cans shortly after release, despite having G N Rangarajan as director (who did Kalyanaraman / meeNdum kOkilA / ellAm inba mayam with KH)

#409 hEy mAmA kObamA (BSS solo, azhagiya kaNNE)
Mahendran movie featuring Baby Anju as lead and it came with a lot of hype (exorcist -omen inspiration etc Laughing ) and made no impact. This song became very popular, however.

#410 sevvaraLi thOttaththula onna nenachchE (UR-IR duet with Saibaba folk singing in interlude, bagavathipuram railway gate)
Sweet themmAngu that was patti-thotti popular

#411 kAlai nErakkAtRE vAzhththuchchollu (SPS-DC duet, bagavathipuram railway gate)
Another super hit duet from the same movie - name of which was known only because of songs getting broadcasted, even those days Laughing

More to come...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:48 pm

இந்த மாதிரி ஒவ்வொரு வாரமும் ராசா பாடல்களை அள்ளி வீச, தஞ்சாவூர் நண்பர் வீட்டுக்குப்போகும் போதெல்லாம் அவற்றைப் பதிவு செய்து ஹாஸ்டலுக்குக் கொண்டு வர...

தினமும் திருவிழா தான் அந்தக்காலத்தில். 

அதாவது, ராசாவின் ஹிட் பாடல்களின் மழையில் நனைந்து நனைந்தே கல்லூரி வாழ்க்கையைக் கொண்டாடினோம்!

இதற்கிடையில் எப்படிப் படித்துப் பாஸ் பண்ணினோம் என்று இப்போது நினைத்தாலும் வியப்பு தான் Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:32 am

1982 Super Hits Part 1 Installment E

#412 rAgavanE ramaNA raghunAthA (UR-PS duet, iLamaikkAlangaL)
Second album by IR for the Motherland Pictures production house that made payaNangaL mudivadhillai. Only in the last couple of years we've identified the album to have been produced when siRumugai Ravi was signed up as the director. Later something happened and he moved out of the project. The disk cover does not have the director's name at all Shocked And the songs were super hits with a couple of them in my personal hall of fame! (isai mEdaiyil and pAda vandhadhO can easily make it to all-time-great-TFM-songs, even if my personal taste is discounted). Manivannan ended up putting a story together to use the songs and get the movie out Laughing

#413 pAda vandhadhO gAnam (PS-KJY duet, iLamaikkAlangaL)
I've already talked about many times - including the posts in PS thread

#414 isai mEdaiyil (SJ-SPB duet, iLamaikkAlangaL)
Competes with iLaya nilA for "max-repeats-in-my-lifetime" Smile

#415 padippula zero nadippula hero (SPS solo with some chorus, iLamaikkAlangaL)
Song was very popular those days - not much recall now

#416 eeramAna rOjAvE (KJY solo with BSS singing the last pallavi alone, iLamaikkAlangaL)
Perhaps the biggest hit of the album Embarassed I've declared VM as "science teacher" based on the pandhu business in this song...

#417 Adi mAsakkAththadikka (SJ-SPB duet, pAyum puli)
Rajinikanath movie that was produced by AVM months after they hit it big with SKV. Though the songs were super hits, they weren't as popular as the SKV ones. IIRC, there were reports that Rajini fans were unhappy with IR that he gave better songs to Kamal. (There was even rumor of "IR-office-kaNNAdi-udaippu" Laughing )

#418 poththukkittu ooththudhadi vAnam (PS-MV duet, pAyum puli)
Sweet rain song

#419 Appakkada annakkiLi (PS-MV duet, pAyum puli)
Song not easy to sing, try singing Wink

#420 vA mAmA vasamAththAn mAttikkittE (SJ solo, pAyum puli)
mukkal-munagal-silkku song but the rhythm section was fantastic! (Of course, there is no one to match SJ in this "genre" Wink )

#421 Om nama sivAyA (SJ solo, salangai oli)
Only during this exercise I noticed that this album came out in 1982 itself. However, I heard the songs for the first time when watching the movie in 83-June (already talked about many times). Fantastic song and super duper hit album!

#422 mounamAna nEram (SJ-SPB duet, salangai oli)
Evergreen, all-time-fav, classic

#423 nAdha vinOdhangaL (SPS-SPB duet, salangai oli)
What a song! Of course, those who understand Telugu can appreciate sAgara sangamam better and will toss the TFM versions. For me, even these iluppaippoos were much better than most other chakkarai available in TFM over all these years

#424 vAn pOlE vaNNam koNdu (SPS-SPB duet, salangai oli)
Another terrific song, super hit and the prelude itself will make one's spirits soar

#425 vEdham aNuvilum oru nAdham (SPS-SPB duet, salangai oli)
Popular to this day!

#426 thakida thadhimi (SPB solo, salangai oli)
Not sure if such songs will ever be made in future Embarassed

#427 bAla kanagamaya (SJ solo, salangai oli)
Another dance number, all Telugu one - with Manju Bhargavi dancing - and was heard in TN patti-thotti in the real sense (unlike the mags-only-claimed-sankarAbaraNam)

#428 poththi vachcha malliga mottu (SJ-SPB duet, maN vAsanai)
Is it not mind boggling that IR produced all these hit albums in a single calendar year! Shocked  For BR alone two huge albums (KO and this). Ask ANY other MD to match this feat (any language / field / time period)!

#429 poththi vachcha malliga mottu (SJ solo, maN vAsanai)
sOga version, with different orch and was very popular as well

#430 Anandha thEn sindhum poonjOlaiyil (SJ-MV duet, maN vAsanai)
Another classic from the rustic album

#431 arisi kuththum akkA magaLE (SPS-MV duet with chorus, maN vAsanai)
Fun song - had some double meaning thingy too - but very popular everywhere!

#432 thennangeetRum thenRal kAtRum (PS-MV duet, mudivalla Arambam)
Nobody knows much about this movie but the song lives on! It got played everywhere those days!

#433 pAdi vA thenRalE oru poovai thAlAttavE (JC solo, mudivalla Arambam)
IOKS favorite and the song is a guitar sweetie that is close to most IRFs of that time!

Looks like the compilation of super hits of 1982 is complete, will get the "hits" in the next post Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:42 pm

app_engine wrote:இந்த மாதிரி ஒவ்வொரு வாரமும் ராசா பாடல்களை அள்ளி வீச, தஞ்சாவூர் நண்பர் வீட்டுக்குப்போகும் போதெல்லாம் அவற்றைப் பதிவு செய்து ஹாஸ்டலுக்குக் கொண்டு வர...

தினமும் திருவிழா தான் அந்தக்காலத்தில். 

அதாவது, ராசாவின் ஹிட் பாடல்களின் மழையில் நனைந்து நனைந்தே கல்லூரி வாழ்க்கையைக் கொண்டாடினோம்!

இதற்கிடையில் எப்படிப் படித்துப் பாஸ் பண்ணினோம் என்று இப்போது நினைத்தாலும் வியப்பு தான் Smile

Raja songs.... secret of our energy ............

paatu kaetal dhan padipu varum..... Very Happy . edho tour poitu vandha madhirii oru sandhosham.. oru relax irukum...... adharku munnal
veru endha sandhoshamum sandhoshamaga irundha madhiri nyabagam ilai dhan....

discipline.. adhu nam period il namaku kidaitha varam dhan........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:13 pm

1982 Hits (Part 2)

Now it's time to complete this year, accounting for the "hits" that were quite popular on multiple media but could not make it to "super hit" status Wink

#434 madhu malargaLE dhinam malarndhadhu (SJ-MV duet, maganE maganE)
This song was a radio favorite. I've also heard it many times on buses and other places, but could not call it patti-thotti hit. As in the case of many IR hits, the movie is quite unknown - even in 80's it was unknown Laughing

#435 pEr solla vandha piLLai neeyE (PS solo, maganE maganE)
Similar to the song above. Interestingly, there was a KH-AVM movie with a title similar to this song, a few years later Wink

#436 thAyum nAnE thanga iLamAnE (SJ solo, engEyO kEtta kural)
Played frequently on radio. Also heard on other channels. This is a case of "reuse" of a melody from an old church song that goes like "தேவனே நான் உமதண்டையில்" .

#437 kulunga kulunga iLamai sirikkudhu (UR solo, kaNNE rAdhA)
Frequently heard those days on many channels. Especially on buses.

#438 vAlaipparuvaththilE (SPS-PS duet, kaNNE rAdhA)
Another song that was heard frequently on radio and other channels those days. Recently I hosted it in #IR_Waltz thread, after hearing it a few times on raajafm. (And was in for a shock when seeing the youtube Laughing )

#439 kottungadi ketti mELam (MV solo, kaNNE rAdhA)
Another hit song from the moderately hit movie by Rama.Narayanan (with whom too IR did a couple of movies, அந்தக்காலத்துல ஒருத்தர் விடாமல் எல்லோரும் ராசாவிடம் ஒரு படமாச்சும் பண்ண முயல்வர்)

#440 poonthenRal kAtRE vA (PS-PJ duet, manjaL nilA)
What a lovely sweet song! This was another "bus-radio" kind of hit. Also played frequently in our hostel. The tablA / bass guitar arrangement in saraNam is simply awesome!

#441 vA machchi machchi (DC / Saibaba / Sivachidambaram group song, manjaL nilA)
"bus'sE bus'sin color'E" Laughing  Thanglish thogaiyaRA and fun song. While I always hated that "machchi" word, I'll have to admit that it was very common word used among students of that time, including many of our hostel mates Embarassed 

#442 iLa manadhinil ezhum kanavinil vizhi malargiRadhE (BSS-KJY duet, manjaL nilA)
Another song that got played frequently on radio - bus those days. Some may know this trivia - the heroine of this movie, Ranjini, is sister of actress Oorvashi. (Her another sister Kalpana was an actress too and recently died)

#443 thEnaruviyil nanaindhidum malarO (SJ-SPB duet, AgAya gangai)
Terrific song from the first project of Manobala as director. As in the case of many other songs, this got introduced to me via "thanjavur cassettu" (read like thanjavur kalvettu Laughing ). Frequently on radio / buses / private recordings. That dhiranA-dhiranA plays in my mind, as I type this.

#444 yengum niRandhoLirum (Krishnachandar with chorus, kOzhi koovudhu)
Though not a "nEyar viruppam", this got popular simply because of being part of an extremely popular album Laughing Buses and tea shops played it, along with other songs of the album

#445 onnA vidhai vedhachchOm (Chorus song, kOzhi koovudhu)
Another short song that had the benefit of being in an extremely popular disk

#446 isiayarasi ennALum nAnE (SJ-PS-Rajeswari, thAi mookAmbigai)
Competition song that gives one goose bumps the moment SJ comes in! Also, a song that often gets murdered nowadays - in reality shows Embarassed

#447 pasikku chOrumilla (PJ solo, thAi mookAmbigai)
Was heard on radio / buses and other public address systems many times those days

#448 ninaivellAm nithyA nithyA (SPB solo, ninaivellAm nithyA)
Much like the short song for azhagE unnai ArAdhikkiREn. Unfortunately, didn't get that kind of a reach but definitely had the benefit of being part of a super-hit disc.

#449 Adai koNdu Adum kOdai mEgamE (SPS / Vijay aka Unni Menon, kELviyum nAnE badhilum nAnE)
One of those innumerable duets that IR did those days that got included in private recordings of many people. Recording centers started thriving those days.

#450 vAdi samanja puLLa (PS and chorus, gOpurangaL sAyvadhillai)
Relatively less popular song from the hit movie / album, but it had its own air time those days)

#451 iva machchamuLLa singAri (MV-TKS KalaivAnan and chorus, nizhal thEdum nenjangaL)
Frequently heard those days on a variety of settings - even though I never liked this song Sad

#452 ithu kanavugaL viLaindhum kAlam (SJ-DC duet, nizhal thEdum nenjangaL)
Big personal favorite and I am upset that this didn't become a super hit because of the movie becoming a dud (and among the crowd of super hit song that IR was producing those days). The melody is pure honey (both pallavi and saraNam) and what a delectable percussion arrangement!

#453 mangala vAnam (BSS-MV duet, nizhal thEdum nenjangaL)
Another hit duet from the album that deserved more popularity that what it got.

#454 azhagE unnaikkonjam kaNgaL (PS-MV duet, vAlibamE vA vA)
For the first time, there was BR movie with no super-hit song Embarassed For a long time, I didn't even know that this song was part of that movie / album, though I've heard it many times.

#455 ponvAnappoongAvil thErOdudhu (SPS-KJY duet, vAlibamE vA vA)
Another hit duet from that BR movie that had possibly the worst BO result of any in BR-IR combo

#456 rAmanukkE seethai (SJ-DC duet, rANiththEni)
Sweet duet that was played frequently on radio / cassettes. 

#457 koodi vandha mEgam thisai mArippOchchE (MV solo, rANiththEni)
Another song that got frequent airtime those days, despite being part of a terrible flop

#458 chinna chinnakkaNgaL reNdu (KJY solo, azhagiya kaNNE)
Some might question my rating and say "was it not super hit those days" Smile

#459 pala jenma jenmAndhara bandhangaL (SPS solo, azhagiya kaNNE)
Another moderately popular solo from the Mahendran movie with Baby Anju

#460 thenRal kAtRum anbuppAttum (BSS solo, Bhagavathipuram railway gate)
Simple solo that had radio / bus level popularity only

#461 yOgamuLLa rANi (SPS-MV and chorus, iLamaikkAlangaL)
I'm surprised they chose to include an average song like this in a Motherland pictures project...enjoyed benefit of being part of a phenomenal album and thus had media time

#462 vAdA en veerA kALiyaNNan pErA (MV and chorus, iLamaikkAlangaL)
Ditto as above song. I'm not sure if both these songs even made it on-screen when Manivannan made a movie out of the songs recorded with Sirumugai Ravi as director. I've seen the movie but don't remember much about it except the dialog "மாணவர் தலைவனை அடித்த பிரின்சீப்பால் ஒழிக"

#463  sirichchA kolli malaikkuyilU (Chaaya / SPB duet, jOthi)
People didn't even know a movie with this name came and went - but the song stayed in their memories forever Smile

#464 Asai madhana singAra vadhanA (SPS solo, jOthi)
Another hit song - a fun one this, SPS got many such songs those days - from the same unknown film

#465 alai pAyudhE kaNNA (SJ-KJY duet, eththanai kONam eththanai pArvai)
Movie was never released but many people had a couple of songs from this album in their private recordings from recording centers those days. Also, some songs got played on buses

#466 vidhaiththa vidhai (BSS-DC duet, eththanai kONam eththanai pArvai)
Another one like the song above Smile

Well, we're done with 1982 - finally Smile

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:26 pm

Statistics time - break-up of IR's TFM hits, up to 1982:

YearCat A (Super Hits)Cat B (Hits)Cat C (Moderate Hits)Year Total
19815438N/A92
19827733N/A110
Total so far25713970466

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:21 am

The song currently running on repeat mode during my drives is a 1983-er.

However, I won't be able to include it in this "hit-list" - because I have not heard it those days

Embarassed

Embarassed

I've realized it to be such a fantastic song, even though it was unknown to me until the internet erA (and thus to most TN public in 80's, by extension).

So, before I start the listing, I want to post separately about this song (that won't make it to the list), in detail.

May be that's my exercise for tomorrow Smile

Can anyone guess this song?
(clues - a) it is musically related to iLamanadhu pala kanavu , siRiya paRavai siRagai virikka, uRavenum pudhiya vAnil  
          b) it has some connection to aboorva sagOdharargaL movie)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:14 am

As the master-mind-reader plum guessed on Twitter, the song is 'uruginEn uruginEn' of aNNE aNNE.

This is a case of self-contradiction and I hate to admit it Embarassed

Look at my post a few years back on the hub about this song :
http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB&s=69c72aa6d8702acb8a2f2fd20f36bb93&p=722801&viewfull=1#post722801

I've told there that it was a radio hit / TDK casstte hit etc, after listening to it on thiraippadal.com when writing the post, possibly hearing for the first time.

I could have inadvertently connected it with some other IR song and made that post Sad 

Apologies!

Now I'm clear I've never heard this in 80's, after listening to the song from the "Missisauga CD - seer koNdu vA" (IR-SPB-SJ collection, with 50 songs).

Even after many repeated listens, still cannot remember the saraNam parts Sad  Somehow, those lines do not stick easily to mind (how could I've heard on radio those days and cannot recall the saraNam?)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:57 pm

Well, now that the "mistake-confession" is done, I can take care of my new-found appreciation for this underappreciated IR-SPB-SJ gem Smile

Please listen to the song here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2ZdDA5R95Q

(audio only link, sumAr quality)

A careful (or even careless in the case of experts) listen of this song could connect the brain to a number of famous IR songs over the years. The beauty is,not all of them were from the same time period Smile

One might connect it with uRavenum pudhiya vAnil or iLamanadhu pala kanavu because of that exotic prelude and the keyboard gloomy sound that is "ambient".

Or, it could be connected to 'siRiya paRavai siRagai virikkaththudikkiRadhE' for the rhythm changes (actually the first charaNam's rhythm arrangement is exactly similar to the "anbu Romeo, neeyE endhan jeeva sondham" portion of the andha oru nimidam song...one of those signature IR "rhythm-loops" of early 80's).

However, as evident from my hub post in the IR-SPB thread, I did connect the song to 'kAdhal rAgamum kanniththamizhum' of indhiran-chandhiran, which is from 1990 IIRC. 

Interestingly, while listening to the song this morning, I could see some strong relationships with the paNakkAran song 'iraNdu onROdu onRu sErndhadhu - kAdhal kAdhal ding dong' song, both pallavi and first saraNam (well, I would rate the paNakkAran song as a "catchier" melody). That one was another 1990 number. That way, this particular style of "melody-orch-combo" has its legacy from 1980 to 1990 Smile

IMHO, if not for that specific "IR-signature-rhythm-loop" that gets used in a small portion of the first interlude (with the wind instrument, sax? and then when SJ hums) and later for the first saraNam, the song cannot be easily identified as a 1983 song at all Embarassed One would "carbon-date" this as an early-90's song Smile  Actually, this song is quite timeless if some of those "sounds" are ignored - this can prove to be latest - even now, 17 years into the new millennium!

Of course, the sweetest part of the song for me is the "உன்னையே எண்ணியே ஏங்கினேன் தினமே" line Smile Especially when SJ responds with one of the sweetest hummings ever! Interestingly, it sounds like "உண்மையே" instead of "உன்னையே" when SPB sings the pallavi between two saraNams, nice variation and appropriate!

I am still to warm up to the first saraNam - though that was the preferred part to groucho (as per his comments on the hub) Embarassed May be my mind is replacing it with the saraNam melody of 'iraNdu onROdu onRu sErndhadhu' and thus comparing / confusing. Add to it the oft-repeated rhythm-loop and the song suffers some 'thoyvu' there, from today's point of view. (Obviously it would not have mattered had I paid such a listen to the song when it arrived - but I'm reviewing it with today's mind, which is 33 years more corrupt Laughing )

However, the master / maestro "fore-read" my 2016 thoughts in 1983 itself and thus did a different 2nd saraNam Shocked What a genius! He possibly figured it out that people may not warm up to the first saraNam 30 years from then and decided to rev-up / stylize both the interlude prior to the second saraNam and that saraNam also Smile I simply love it (well, always loved that wah-wah sound so effectively used by IR)!

SJ at her prime and all the neLivu-suLivu-kuzhaivu-izhaivu come so naturally and effortlessly to her! What a great singer!!

SPB is terrific as well but he had to give up the cooler stuff to SJ in this song...but it's not a competition between them and he too wins us over with his own unique stamps thru out!

IR - one can't understand this man at all - thinking so futuristic in 1983 something that could be so "current" after 3-4 decades! The bass is phenomenal and so are the wind instruments, especially the flute portions are so awesome! Also, what about the terrific string portion at the end of each interlude, that ends it and connects to the saraNam start!

All such fantastic works for such a low-profile (and possibly hopeless even to begin with) project!

BTW, I won't recommend watching the youtube at all - but that could explain the switch between saraNams in styling / rhythm etc. The picture that came into my mind when I listened to it in the car was something happening to the story (with that mystery kind of sounds / heavy trumpet etc) but unfortunately that is not the case. It is some dumb disco dancing by a different pair...that way, the pallavi and first saraNam are for the main leads and the second saraNam and the interlude prior is for another couple Embarassed That's all the difference and IR had worked it out so grand Smile

Anyways, for those who care, here is the youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGxisejtGmA
(Don't want to embed the link here as that would spoil the whole post, IMHO Embarassed )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17 ... 31  Next