Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

+15
[μsic]மாபியா
crimson king
BC
vss1902
al_gates
counterpoint
mythila
IsaiRasigan
jaiganesh
ravinat
Drunkenmunk
ank
Usha
app_engine
raagakann
19 posters

Page 2 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next

Go down

Any TN hits from "rAman adbullA"?

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 2 Vote_lcap43%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 2 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 3 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 2 Vote_lcap29%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 2 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 2 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 2 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 2 Empty Re: Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

Post  app_engine Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:42 pm

Usha wrote:app,

mazhai varuvadhu mayiluku theriyum paatai sonnengala.. radio hit dhan idhudvum.....

oodha kathu veesaiyile kuyilu kuvaiyile.. indha paatum radio hit dhan......... guitar sound.. village song. romba rasichu kaetu iruken..........

Yes, both these were hit songs and will be part of the next post Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 2 Empty Re: Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

Post  app_engine Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:48 pm

1979 Part 2 Hits on multiple channels

As in the case of other years, this year too had its share of song that were popular on more than one domain but per my perception not super-duper hits. Thus putting them in this section (it may sound unfair for certain songs to some people but this is as much objective as I can get Smile )

#147 ponnAram poovAram (SPB solo, pagalil oru iravu)
Frequently aired by IOKS and AIR but not as widely familiar as iLamai enum Wink  By this time, teakkadais and buses were slowly taking over the exposure of TFM and this song made use of such channels very well too.

#148 EdhO ninaivugaL kanavugaL (SPS-KJY duet, agal viLakku)
Possibly IR's first duet for Vijayakanth and was a regular on radio. Evergreen song that had mainstay in people's personal collections for years!

#149 enna pAttuppAda enna thALam pOda (IR solo, chakkaLaththi)
Despite people making fun of this song and IR, it was very popular in country side

#150 vAda vAttudhu oru pOrvai kEkkudhu (IR solo, chakkaLaththi)
Big favorite on radio and buses - unlike enna pAttuppAda, this didn't get much criticism from naysayers Wink

#151 rAjA chinna rOjA (PS solo, poonthaLir)
Popular on both radio and otherwise "sophi" networks

#152 manadhil enna ninaivugaLO (SPS-SPB duet, poonthaLir)
Regular on IOKS and many other domains. One of those songs that frequently got "recorded to cassette from radio" Laughing

#153 vA ponmayilE (SPB solo, poonthaLir)
What a delectable song - very popular on radio & bus-teakkadai. As mentioned in my post on IR-SPB thread of the hub, this song instantly reminds me of the evenings of 70's summer vacations! Among the top few in evoking nostalgia!

#154 ada pOyyA pOyyA ulagam perusu (SPS solo, dharma yudhdham)
Another song that was frequently heard beyond radio but didn't get the same level of coverage like the other two (AgAya gangai & oru thanga radhaththil)

#155 sindhu nadhikkarai Oram (PS-TMS duet, nalladhoru kudumbam)
NT movie song and thus had wider coverage than radio but just short of becoming patti-thotti hit

#156 sevvAnamE pon mEgamE (Kalyani Menon - BSS -PJ -TLM double-duet song, nalladhoru kudumbam)
This song was very popular on radio and buses. For those who have not heard this before, Kalyani Menon is Rajiv Menon's mom (minsArakkananvu, kaNdu koNdEn KK diretor)

#157 ennuLLil engO Engum geetham (VJ solo, rOsAppoo ravikkaikkAri)
For whatever reason, this didn't get as much coverage on kOlAmbi as the other songs of that album. So, moved to part-2 to differentiate Embarassed

#158 geethA sangeethA (Jency-PJ duet, anbE sangeethA)
Regular on IOKS and AIR, frequently heard on buses and private recordings also. Also remember the light music troops performing this on stage in the "porutkAtchi" grounds!

#159 peththAlum peththEnada (SPS-PJ duet, anbE sangeethA)
Another regular in channels similar to the song above

#160 kalyANam pAru appAvOda kalyANam pAru (SPS solo, uthirippookkaL)
This song was often on kOlAmbi speakers in village side - quite interesting fact of the IR-launch-era. Didn't have the lasting power of 'azhagiya kaNNE', however.

#161 pOdA pOdA pokka eLLukkAttukku thekka (SJ solo, uthirippookkaL)
Despite the kezhavi voice and non-filmi nature, people didn't mind this song playing on loudspeakers in the villages of TN. Another interesting thing of the 70's TN

#162 mayilE mayilE (SJ-SPB solo, kadavuL amaiththa mEdai)
With IR himself declaring it as his favorite at that time, no wonder this had a special place with listeners of TFM 

#163 AN piLLai enRAlum (BSS-SPS female duet, 6-lirundhu 60 varai)
Frequently heard on radio / buses / teakkadai

#164 sugam sugamE (VJ-MV duet, nAn pOtta savAl)
Regular on radio and buses. Rajini had become a big hero already.

#165 nenjE un Asai enna (TLM solo, nAn pOtta savAl)
Ditto as above

#166 malargaLilE ArAdhanai (SJ-MV duet with chorus, karumbu vil)
This song was a regular on radio and buses. I had to control my personal bias for this song to not declare it "super hit" Embarassed

#167 vA en rAjAkkaNNA (SPS solo, rishi moolam)
Unlike the TMS songs of this album, this song didn't make it big with average NTF group which possible limited its reach

#168 mazhai varuvadhu mayilukkuththeriyum (SJ solo, rishi moolam)
Another female solo from the hit movie which was popular on radio and buses but not as big as the TMS numbers. Some bias Sad However, over the years, this proved to be more popular with IRFs and thus "evergreen" IMHO

#169 nAnoru ponnOviyam kaNdEn edhirE (PS-SJ-SPB trio , kaNNil theriyum kadhaigaL)
Popular on radio / bus / teakkadai. The album had 5 MD's and only this song and nAn unna nenachchEn by S-G became popular.

#170 theerththakkarai thanilE (KJY solo, thaippongal)
Widely heard those days on many streams / channels, despite from an obscure album. Almost everyday either this or the female version got played on IOKS.

#171 theerththakkarai thanilE (Jency solo, thaippongal)
Read the comments for the song above Wink

#172 kaN malargaLin azhaippidhazh (SJ-IR duet, thaippongal)
Similar reach as theerththakkarai thanilE ; got featured in a lot of IRF v/s older-TFMF those days Wink

#173 ootha kAththu veesaiyilE (SJ-PJ duet, grAmaththu aththiyAyam)
Frequently heard in villages from "somewhere", including radio

#174 poovE idhu poojaikkAlamE (BSS solo, grAmaththu aththiyAyam)
Power of IR to make a hit from failed movie with a not-top-grade singer!

#175 rasiganE en arugil vA (SPS-IR duet, maNippoor mAmiyAr)
Another song that demonstrated the IR-craze those days. Despite movie not getting released (and thus not getting coverage on AIR), this song was widely heard thanks to IOKS / buses and teakkadais!

I have another 30+ songs from this year which were "limited domain hits" and it's quite remarkable that IR had more than 200 hit songs in just one field in less than 4 years!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:02 pm

Like some other forumers (ank, Usha akkA, Anbu sir) have already pointed out, this "hit list / hit history" cannot be called 100% complete - as there have been a few misses in each year already Embarassed

Like I realized this AM when raajafm.com played the TMS / Kovai Sounderrajan duet song "ulagam veRum iruttu" - a hit song which didn't get accounted in 1977. 

This song was a patti-thotti hit upon arrival. Personally, I would have heard it a hundred times on kOlAmbi speakers in villages - without knowing which movie this one is from or who the MD is. Of course, I knew that it was some Sivaji song (and definitely didn't like it).

As it turned out to be, it was from thyAgam and IR was the MD Embarassed 

OK, the positive side to this fact (that I'm missing a few) is that IR had only MORE hits than we have listed and not less Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:15 pm

There was an interesting coincidence - after posting the list above on Friday, on my drive raajafm played 'kalyANam pAru' of uthirippookkal Smile

And then, on Saturday, they played the Telugu (dubbed) version of the same song, in the voice of same SPS Smile

This song when it originally came out and was playing on kOlambi in my village and places around, I didn't pay close attention. Embarassed

Even when I watched the movie a few years back - for the first time, on youtube - thought of this song as something that slows down the proceedings / unnecessary. 

I don't remember now but may be I even FF-ed portions of that song at that time.

However, listening to this song in the car, a few years after watching the actual movie, was a very different experience!

For a surface listener, it's just an eLLal song, making fun of a man getting his second marriage after the sickness / death of wife. (Happens all the time in TN, with children around - often justifying that the "chiththi" is needed to take care of the children etc)

Even for those who are close to the movie's theme, the song runs that way, for the most part.

However, when the emotional interlude for the last stanza starts playing - one gets frozen / goose bumps / lump in throats / tears in eyes and what not!

நூற்றுக்கணக்கான பாடல்களை ஹிட் செய்வது பெரிய விஷயம் தான்- அவற்றைப் பட்டியலிடத்தான் இந்த இழை திறந்திருக்கிறோம்.

என்றாலும், ராசாவை ஒரு "ஹிட் இசையமைப்பாளர்" என்ற அளவில் பார்ப்பது எவ்வளவு மூடத்தனம் என்று ஒரு சாதாரணப்பாட்டின் ஒரே ஒரு - ஒர்ரே ஒரு - இடையிசையில் இங்கே உணருகிறோம்.

சும்மா, "எங்கேடா உன் இதயம், இதோ பார், என் கையில் அதைப்பிடித்து இப்போது கசக்கிப்பிழிகிறேன்  பார் - ஒன்றும் செய்ய முடியாமல், தொண்டை அடைத்து அப்படியே விக்கித்து நிற்பாய் பார்" என்று நம்மை அடித்துத் துவைக்கிறாரே - அந்த ராசா!

அந்த ராசாவை "ஹிட் இசையமைப்பாளர்" "வெற்றியாளர்" 'சாதனையாளர்" என்றெல்லாம் சுருக்குவது என்ன ஒரு மடத்தனம்?

எத்தனை பேர் இப்படி ஒரே ஒரு இடையிசையில் நெஞ்சைப் பிழிய முடியும்? 

ஈடு இணை எங்காவது காட்டுங்கள் பார்ப்போம்!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:01 pm

1979 Part 3  Limited domain hits

Well, people who were actively listening to TFM those days may have questions about the list below (there could be any number of disputes that some of these should have been placed in Part 2 as they were widely known etc).

What is not debatable is that these songs were HIT songs and were familiar with any average TN radio listener.  That way, they definitely deserve their places in this thread Smile

#176 engEyO EdhO pAttonRu kEttEn (PS-SPB duet, nadhiyai thEdi vandha kadal)
Heard mostly on radio, especially IOKS.  I don't think it reached much beyond.

#177 poonthOttam poovil peNNin jAdaigaL (SPS solo, nadhiyai thEdi vandha kadal)
Another radio regular

#178 varAdha kAlangaL vandha (PS-SPS duet, nadhiyai thEdi vandha kadal)
Perhaps heard more often than the two songs listed above but still within the radio domain only. Definitely not regularly on buses etc like 'thavikkudhu thayangudhu'

#179 kalaiyO silaiyO (PJ solo, pagalil oru iravu)
Was frequently on radio but also heard in other channels from time to time. However, not in the scale of SPB songs of this album Embarassed

#180 thAmtha dheemtha Adum uLLam pAdum kAviyam (SJ and chorus, pagalil oru iravu)
Another radio favorite, the jAzz waltz song, a personal favorite too - but cannot place it in part 1 or 2

#181 kOzhi muttakkOzhi (SPS-BSS female duet, sakkaLaththi)
Popular in country side, I've possibly mentioned before in a post about my listen of this song on a bus journey coming back from a badminton tournament at Batlagundu. One of our teammates had nickname 'kOzhi' and it added to the fun Laughing

#182 thOraNam Adidum mEdaiyil nAyagan nAyagi (SJ-TMS duet, vetRikku oruvan)
Regular on IOKS, may be I heard this on buses too (being an NT number)

#183 muthamizh charamE (SPS-TMS duet, vetRikku oruvan)
Another song frequently on radio with thuLLal signature IR rhythm arrangement...perhaps the only song TMS sang (for NT) with SPS?

#184 ninaiththAl inikkum nalla nEram sErndhu varum (SJ solo, kalyANa rAman)
misra chApu sweetie from the hit movie but with limited reach - radio & functions may be

#185 Asai nenjin kanavugaL vaLarpiRai (PS-MV duet, mugaththil mugam pArkkalAm)
Favorite pick of listeners of IOKS for ungaL viruppam kind of programs but didn't make it big on other 'media'

#186 nAnoru rANi (SJ solo, mugaththil mughal pArkkalAm)
Another song that got featured often on radio

#187 nilavu nEram (PS solo, annai Or Alayam)
I've heard this many times on radio and buses but cannot classify along with 'appanE appanE' or 'ammA nee sumandha' kinds Smile

#188 nandhavanaththil vandha kuyilE (SPB solo, annai Or Alayam)
Much like the song above, heard on many occasions involuntarily. In a funny coincidence, heard its Telugu version this morning on raajafm.com (they play a lot of 70's Telugu songs, mostly from dubbed movies, nowadays)

#189 malai aruvi maNikkuruvi hOy (SPS solo, annai Or Alayam)
Ditto like the two songs above, from the same album

#190 varuvAy kaNNA neerAda (PS-SPB and chorus, pattAkkaththi bhairavan)
Fun song where SPB mimics RDB - heard it many times involuntarily those days

#191 yArO nAnum neeyum yArO (SPB solo, pattAkkaththi bhairavan)
Radio only hit - especially IOKS frequenter

#192 nAn pAda varuvAy (SJ solo, uthirippookkaL)
This song didn't have the country-side popularity, for whatever reason - but was played on radio and in town settings Embarassed

#193 thenRalE nee pEsu (PBS solo, kadavuL amaiththa mEdai)
I can't recall any other TFM number that PBS sang for IR. Well, this was a radio-only hit

#194 mayakkamA oru thayakkamA (VJ solo, nAn pOtta savAl)
Heard it on both radio and buses but the reach wasn't like sugam sugamE or nenjE un Asai enna

#195 nAttukkuLLE sila narigaL irukkudhu (MV solo, nAn pOtta savAl)
Ditto like the above song. I've never liked this song and wondered why IR did one like that Embarassed

#196 kAlangaL mazhaikkAlangaL (SJ-MV duet, idhayaththil Or idam)
I used to get confused those days w.r.t. name of the movie as thaippongal - it was frequently on radio

#197 rAjA poNNu adi vAdiyammA (PJ solo, orE muththam)
Popular on radio - interesting that I document this as rAjA had his (paiyan's) poNNu naming ceremony recently Smile

#198 pAvaiyargaL mAn pOlE (SJ-SPB duet, orE muththam)
Didn't know the movie's name or the composer when I got introduced to this song via radio but it was popular in that domain

#199 mahArANi unaiththEdi varum nEramE (SJ-PJ duet, Ayiram vAsal idhayam)
Sweet song that got decent radio time those days. Unfortunately, forgotten in the streams of time

#200 kichchu kichchu thAmbALam (SJ solo, Ayiram vAsal idhayam)
Played frequently on radio. With a number of SJ solos of this style becoming patti thotti hits those days, this turned out to be just a "wannabe" Embarassed

#201 thAnE sadhirAdum mAlai veyil vELai (BSS-SJ duet, thaippongal)
Radio only hit

#202 pani vizhum poo nilavil (SPS-MV duet, thaippongal)
Favorite choice of many on IOKS those days. I've also heard this on buses sometimes. 

#203 orE mugam nilA mugam (SPS solo, oppantham)
Heard it frequently on radio and buses those days, almost makes it to part 2

#204 mAlaichchevvAnam un kOlam thAnO (Swarnalatha-IR duet, iLaiyarAjAvin rasigai)
One can understand the sensation that IR name created those days with the title of this movie! Unfortunately, only the disk came out and made it regular on IOKS and in recording centers...the movie never got made or came out

#205 endha Aththuppaiyan avan yAru peththa sella magan (SPS-SJ-MV song, iLaiyarAjAvin rasigai)
IOKS was the sole reason for such songs to reach most part of mid & south TN. I don't have to listen to this song to get a number of pAdal varigaL even now! 

பேரு என்ன பேரு? வீட்டுக்கு வார  மாப்பிள்ளை பேரு டி பி சந்துரு 
வீடு எங்க இருக்கு? கிட்டு மாமா வீட்டுக்கு ரொம்பப்பக்கத்துல இருக்கு 
தோப்பனாரு பேரு? தோப்பனாரு பஞ்சாபகேஷன் அம்மா பேரு காமாச்சி 

#206 samaiyal pAdamE (SPS-SPB duet, maNippoor mAmiyAr)
Song was radio-popular and made a new avatAr in unnAl mudiyum thambi later on

#207 kOdi inbam mEni engum pAyndhadhammammA (SJ-SPB duet, nenjil Adum poo onRu)
Hit from unreleased movie, also aided by IOKS in a big way

#208 oru moodan kadhai sonnAl (MV solo, nenjil Adum poo onRu)
Another radio-hit from the same unreleased album. Those days, I didn't know that it was an IR song Embarassed

95 hit songs in a calendar year! While this is a remarkable feat, it was going to become "not that big a number for a year for IR" in the coming years Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:17 pm

With 1979 completed, here is the summed up counts 
(BTW, I made an error in the previous post on sums and fixed it today Embarassed )

YearCat A (Super Hits)Cat B (Hits)Cat C (Moderate Hits)Year Total

Total so far866260208

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:25 pm

என்னப்பா 79லயே இவ்ளோன்னா.. மீதி வரைக்கும் அந்தப்பய தாங்குவானா?

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  IsaiRasigan Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:52 am

மனதில் ஒரு வகை ஏக்கம் வருகிறது. பெரும்பாலான பாடல்களை எவ்வாறு கேட்பதென ! Very Happy

IsaiRasigan

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:59 pm

Too many coincidences with what's going on in this thread and what gets played on raajafm during my drives Laughing

This morning :

திருட்டு படவாவ இழுத்து வாரேன் பாரு, பிடிச்சு தண்டனையும் தாரேன் பாரு 
(எந்த ஆத்துப்பையன் அவன் யாரு பெத்த செல்லமகன்) 

The way in which SPS sings "பக்கத்துல" in the line "கிட்டு மாமா வீட்டுக்கு ரொம்பப் பக்கத்துல இருக்கு" is unique for her (well, those days)...a typical "vAlu" teen sound Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:39 pm

"endha aathu paiyyan ivan" - a very reverberating, livelly fun in Mohanam.

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:51 pm

Now going through the 1980 list using Anbu sir's spreadsheet Smile 

I'm surprised to note that there are not "that many" hits for IR in TFM Embarassed

Means, I could spot "ONLY" 57  Wink

One reason for the relatively lower TFM count is the many albums he started doing in other languages.

The other could be the relatively less number of movies made in that year in TF overall. Also, MSV had some renewed confidence and was trying to get his share of market etc. Plus some additional competition from S-G, TR came in this period.

Regardless of the # of hits, this is IMHO, TOP YEAR for IR in terms of extraordinary music!

Of these 57 hits, some 40 are super hit biggies! You'll see many songs that are revered until this day!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:38 am

1980 Part 1 Super hit songs

I'll probably need to simply list these songs, without any comments or qualifiers Laughing I would be happy if others can write about these songs (as I've written pages and pages from the time I got introduced to www)

#209 en vAnilE orE veNNilA (Jency solo, Johny)
#210 kAtRil endhan geethan (SJ solo, Johny)
#211 Asaya kAththula thoodhu vittu (SPS solo, Johny)
#212 senO ritA I love you  (SPB solo, Johny)
#213 oru iniya manadhu isaiyai aNaiththuchchellum (Sujatha solo, Johny)

Five songs that meant class were also played everywhere in TN - the stylish IR had been selling, conquering, covering every possible domain of TN with these songs from that Mahendran / Rajini / Sridevi movie.

Recently I heard the Telugu versions of a couple of songs (en vAnilE & oru iniya manadhu, both by PS I think) on raajafm and they are no match to the TFM, IMHO.

#214 paruvamE pudhiya pAdal pAdu (SJ-SPB duet, nenjaththaikkiLLAdhE)
#215 uRavenum pudhiya vAnil (SJ-SPB duet, nenjaththaikkiLLAdhE)
#216 E thenRalE ini nALum pAda vA (PS solo, nenjaththaikkiLLAdhE)

Another Mahendran movie that was big success and these songs left youth of those days breathless! Well, some may not be happy about the fact that this movie introduced Suhasini to acting but I'm one who is OK with that Laughing

#217 podhuvAga emmanasu thangam (MV and chorus, murattukkALai)
#218 mAmEn machchAn (SPS solo, murattukkALai)
#219 pudhu vaNNangaL konjidum sOlai (SJ and chorus, murattukkALai)
#220 endhappoovilum vAsam uNdu ( SJ solo, murattukkALai)

Definition of patti-thotti hit, in the post-MGR era!

#221 koththamallippoovE (SJ-MV and chorus, kallukkuL eeram)
#222 thOppiloru nAdagam nadakkudhu (Jency, SPS, MV, IR and chorus, kallukkuL eeram)
#223 siRu pon maNi asaiyum (SJ-IR duet, kallukkuL eeram)

BR acted in that terrible flop movie but the classy songs went everywhere in TN thanks to IR's selling power!

#224 vAzhu mattum nanmaikkAga (SPB solo, kALi)
#225 adi Adu poongodiyE (MV chorus, kALi)

The IV Sasi- Rajini movie that didn't do well / had accident etc but the songs got played everywhere nevertheless

#226 pEraichchollavA adhu nyAyamAgumA (SJ-SPB duet, guru)
#227 endhan kaNNil EzhulagangaL (SJ solo, guru)
#228 mAmanukkupparamakkudi (SJ solo, guru)
#229 nAn vaNangugiREn (SJ solo, guru)
#230 paRandhAlum vida mAttEn (SJ-SPB duet, guru)
#231 AdungaL pAdungaL (SPB solo, guru)

Though all songs from this Kamal-Sridevi masAlA were super hits, one cannot say they all were "equally" popular in every domain. Some were biggies on radio while others on kOlAmbi etc. That was relative within the album. Also, because this was on 2 disks of 48 RPM initially, it was probably because some establishments like AIR having only one of them Embarassed (Though the song was not banned, paRandhAlum was NEVER played on AIR, per my memory. OTOH, it was played daily in the school hostel, from a cassette player, at one point of time)

#232 vachcha pArva theerAdhadi (KJY solo, iLamaikkOlam)
Though this song was not much different from the Oram pO kinds in "crude eve teasing", AIR happily played often Laughing I don't know what was their standards / yardsticks! Well, I wasn't complaining Wink

#233 kAttiloru singakkuttiyAm (SPB solo, anbukku nAn adimai)
#234 kAththOdu poo urasa (PS-SPB duet, anbukku nAn adimai)
#235 onROdu onRAnom anbOdu (PS solo, anbukku nAn adimai)

Another Rajini-Devar Films hit movie and these songs got played everywhere!

#236 germaniyin sendhEn malarE (SJ-SPB duet, ullAsappaRavaigaL)
#237 azhagu Ayiram ulaga muzhuvadhum (SJ solo, ullAsappaRavaigaL)
#238 deiveega rAgam (Jency solo, ullAsappaRavaigaL)
#239 nAn undhan thAyAga vENdum (SJ solo, ullAsappaRavaigaL)

Kamal-Rathi flop - in any case, movie's result never mattered right from the time of IR's debut (well, thru mid 90's) for the songs to get played everywhere in TN!

#240 Anandham Anandham nee thandhadhu (SJ and chorus, poottAdha poottukkaL)

Only big hit from this Mahendran "downfall-started" movie, despite not being a match to the popularity of hits from his previous movies

#241 en iniya pon nilAvE (KJY solo, moodupani)

Advertised as IR's 100th album that had only two full songs, one bit song and an "englees" song. 

#242 madai thiRandhu (SPB and chorus, nizhalgaL)
நேற்றென் அரங்கிலே நிழல்களின் நாடகம் - இன்றென் எதிரிலே நிஜங்களின் தரிசனம் - IR's meta
#243 poongathavE thAzh thiRavAy (UR-DC solo, nizhalgaL)
#244 idhu oru ponmAlaippozhudhu (SPB solo, nizhalgaL)
#245 dhooraththil nAn kaNda un mugam (SJ and chorus, nizhalgaL)

dhooraththil had not as much reach as the other three but regardless it got played in all kinds of forms that were available then in TN

#246 ponnAna mEni (SJ-KJY duet, meeNdum kOkilA)
#247 rAdhA rAdhA nee engE (SJ-SPB duet, meeNdum kOkilA)
#248 chinnanjiRu vayadhil (SPS-KJY duet, meeNdum kOkilA)

All these songs were patti-thotti-citi popular! The fourth one had to go to the next list, however Embarassed

Actually, if one has a play list of the 40 songs above, he/she can play that on loop for a lifetime IMHO!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  IsaiRasigan Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:50 am

இளமை கோலத்தில் 'ஸ்ரீதேவி என் வாழ்வில்' என்ற பாடல் ஹிட் வரிசையில் வருமே. நான் பலமுறை அந்த பாடலை வானொலியில் கேட்டிருக்கிறேன்.
அதே போல் கிராமத்து அத்தியாயம் பாடல்களும் மிக பிரபலம் ஆனவை. 

app_engine அவர்களே தயவு செய்து தங்கள் பழைய பாணியையே தொடரவும். தங்கள் கருத்துக்களைப் படிப்பது தனி இன்பம் தருகிறது.

IsaiRasigan

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:30 pm

app,
  kaali. one more song..  azhagaga poothiruku .....

unga list   paatu ellam patti thotti.. ellam unmai.. engal oor marriyaman pandigai ku paatu vaipanga... indha pattu ellam apodhu kaetu iruken....

kovil konjam thooram engal veetil irundhu... NIght... indha madhirii ellam sathamaga irukadhu... amaidhiyaga irukum... 8 manikae.. apodhu..
kovilil irundhu kaetkum paatukaga veetuku mun pakkam vandhu kaetka varuven.. angu irutaga irukum... en ammavum paatiyum ennai thedi
vandhu.. bayandhu poi.. ennadi inga irukae endru kaepanga.... paatai kaekaren paati.. paatu kaetutu ullae vandhudaren nu solli iruken.. andha
nyabagam vandhadhu..............

kaatru nanraga adikum podhu.......... kaatru .. kovilil irundhu paatai enga veetu pakkam kondu varum podhu... konjam sathamaga.. nanraga
kaetkum.......... andha nerathirkaga wait panni.. paatai kaeta kaalam......... Magizhichiyana tharunangal............

Village il.. IR songs.. apodhu kaeta podhu........  nammudiaya rasanaiyin tharam uyarndhadhai feel panna vaitha IR..... maraka mudiyadhu.........

Schoolil... Teacher padam nadathitu irupanga... dhooramaga... IR songs........ padam.. teacher.. kashtam ellam marandhu poi mandhu
relax agum parunga... endha marundhum thevai illai............ paadathai yar gavanichanga...  pattudhan kadhula... Smile

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:44 pm

IsaiRasigan wrote:app_engine அவர்களே தயவு செய்து தங்கள் பழைய பாணியையே தொடரவும். தங்கள் கருத்துக்களைப் படிப்பது தனி இன்பம் தருகிறது.

Smile

நன்றி!

மேற்கண்ட பாடல்கள் குறித்து மீண்டும் மீண்டும் எழுதி இருப்பதால் தவிர்த்தேன் - மற்றபடி முன்பு போலவே எழுதுவது தான் திட்டம்.

கிராமத்து அத்தியாயம் முந்தைய ஆண்டில் வந்து விட்டது. (இசைத்தட்டு வெளியிட்ட கணக்குப்படியே செல்கிறோம்).

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:09 am

1980 Part 2 Hit songs in multiple domains

From this point, it's kind of not easy to categorize as "only one domain" (or part 3, in this thread's terms) - as there was a lot of enthu among public in getting personal recordings. 

With cassette players increasingly becoming popular and available, the culture of personal recordings and even "recording centers" was emerging.

So, radio was about to lose its stronghold as the main channel for TFM. At this point, however, for me it was still radio the main source and others only thru "air". So, I'll continue to get these two groups for may be only this year. From 1981, I can have only 2 categories - super hits and hits...

#249  nAn dEvadhai (SJ solo, soolam)
This got frequently played on radio stations and I've heard it many times in functions / buses / teakkadais. The scale of reach, however, could not be to the magnitude of the songs in the prior group.

#250 eNNaththil EdhO jillenRadhu (SJ solo, kallukkuL eeram)
Sweet song that was on radio and teakkadai. (I've posted before about our village tea shop that had this disk which got played often). Didn't have the "reach" of the other three from this album, as per my observation as to how others remembered it Wink

#251 azhagazhagA pooththirukku (PS solo, kALi)
Another song that was on radio, buses and may be other channels such as functions but didn't enjoy as wide a reach as the other two hit songs of this album.

#252 nee illAdha pOdhu (Sujatha-MV duet, iLamaikkOlam)
Radio favorite, especially IOKS. I've heard every now and then on buses too. Didn't reach as much as vachcha pArva Embarassed

#253 sreedEvi en vAzhvil (KJY solo, iLamaikkOlam)
Radio hit ; was on also on buses and functions. Personal favorite Smile

#254 hEy OrAyiram (SPB solo, meeNdum kOkilA)
This was on radio / buses / personal recordings / teakkadais but not as often as the other three hits of the album. 

As one can notice, because of the massive IR-wave in TN from this time period onward, there will be fewer songs that suffered "reach" due to lack of opportunities. I'll cover a few more in Cat 3 for 1980 but there will be only 2 categories from 1981 and later Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  ank Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:10 am

IsaiRasigan wrote:இளமை கோலத்தில் 'ஸ்ரீதேவி என் வாழ்வில்' என்ற பாடல் ஹிட் வரிசையில் வருமே. நான் பலமுறை அந்த பாடலை வானொலியில் கேட்டிருக்கிறேன்.

app_engine அவர்களே தயவு செய்து தங்கள் பழைய பாணியையே தொடரவும். தங்கள் கருத்துக்களைப் படிப்பது தனி இன்பம் தருகிறது.
 Agree with the above.

Also, there was another song in Pootadha Pootugal that was equally popular.

ank

Back to top Go down

Post  ank Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:12 am

ank wrote:
IsaiRasigan wrote:இளமை கோலத்தில் 'ஸ்ரீதேவி என் வாழ்வில்' என்ற பாடல் ஹிட் வரிசையில் வருமே. நான் பலமுறை அந்த பாடலை வானொலியில் கேட்டிருக்கிறேன்.

Agree with the above.

Also, there was another song in Pootadha Pootugal that was equally popular.

I would say "Nadhiyoram" from Anbukku Naan Adimai was also a very popular song.

ank

Back to top Go down

Post  raagakann Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:48 am

This was the year when IR ventured into Kannada films with a bang.  Janma Janmadha Anubhandha - Film by Shankar Nag who was a main lead of IR mafia in those days.  Thangaaliyallie, a stunner by SJ, is still popular today (A spooky number which can be compared to Maaman Machan of Murattu Kaalai).  Akashadindha jaari and Yaava shilpi were the other 2 mega hits.  This was IR's third film in Kannada (followed by RK's Priya and Maathu Thappadha Maga).  Initially, people over here had problems in pronouncing IR's name (I remember people calling "Iliyaraaja").

raagakann

Back to top Go down

Post  IsaiRasigan Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:40 am

உண்மை. நான் நீண்ட நாட்களாக 'நதியோரம்' பாடல் எம்.எஸ்.வி. என்று நினைத்திருந்தேன்.

IsaiRasigan

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:08 am

nadhiOram (annai Or Alayam) got covered among super hits already, audio release was in 1979 and hence featured in that year. (#132 of our listing).

SPB-PS duet from anbukku nAn adimai, another Devar films / Rajini movie after annai Or Alayam, was 'kAththOdu poo orasa' . This song too that got listed as a 1980 super hit Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:05 pm

Enjoying Usha akka's nostalgic trip down the memory lane. Keep going Smile
app sir, there is a "hard rock" super hit number in KaaLi  "thithikkum mutham ondru kotti kodu" theat was also a radio regular.

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:36 pm

1980 Part 3 Limited domain hits

This will possibly be the last year that I'll be documenting with this "cat C". Even here, there are not too many. The year 1980 was one of massive success and classic output for IR. In my books, this year was so phenomenal that even other biggie years of 80's would find it tough to match on "quality" and success!

Let me stop my blA-blA and get into the documenting business...

#255 Baby shake it Baby (Saibaba, SPS & SPB, kALi)
This song was a 'radio-only-hit'. And at times as a filler in the "end of the cassettes" that played on the bus Laughing 

#256 kaNNA nee engE vA vA nee ingE (SJ solo, rusi kaNda poonai)
SJ sang this in "small baby voice" and the song got frequently played on radio. I don't think it got happily lapped up in other domains, however. OTOH, most people who listened to TFM in the 70's and 80's couldn't have missed this peculiar song Embarassed  SJ later did another in child voice with GA as MD for the movie mouna geethangaL (KBR super hit movie) and that one was a super hit (daddy daddy)

#257 anbu mugam thandha sugam (IR solo, rusi kaNda poonai)
Another "radio-only-hit" song

#258 azhagiya malargaLin pudhuvidha oorvalamE (SJ and chorus, ullAsappaRavaigaL)
This didn't match the popularity of the other songs of the album in any degree. Many who knew germaniyin may not know the existence of this even - but it had its share of coverage when the album was at its peak

#259 engengum kaNdEnammA (MV-SPB duet, ullAsappaRavaigaL)
Limited popularity, despite SPB doing mimicry (suruLi / VAM duet IIRC)

#260 vaNNa vaNNa vaNNa (SJ solo, poottAdha poottukkaL)
I've heard this often on radio and may be a few times on buses.

#261 nenjukuLLE Asai (SJ solo, poottAdha poottukkaL)
Ditto like the number above

#262 paruva kAlangaLin kanavu (SJ-MV duet, moodupani)
Since en iniya pon nilAvE took all the spots that people could give in their channels for this movie, this song got neglected - despite being very good - and had to settle for "radio-only-and otherwise-limted-reach" status Sad

#263 Asai rAjA AreerO (UR solo short song, moodupani)
Another radio-only hit, per my memory. Sometimes on buses but didn't go much farther.

#264 magizhampoovE unnaippArththEn (PS-KJY duet, pudhiya adimaigaL)
Another hit song from an unreleased movie, thanks to IOKS! Got covered in the "misra chApu" thread also Smile

Hey we're done with the great year 1980! 
(I had to toss 'mummy pEru mAri' which some may recall as SJ singing in male voice, not considering for the "hit list". Alas, I have never heard it prior to some super singer show where SJ sang it or when I watched NK on youtube for the first time...how to call it a hit from 1980? )

Last edited by app_engine on Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:52 pm

Updating the summary chart, including the 56 hit songs from the year 1980...
(Reminder : This is ONLY TFM, other language hits must have increased a lot during this period)

YearCat A (Super Hits)Cat B (Hits)Cat C (Moderate Hits)Year Total
Total so far1266870264

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  ank Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:11 am

app_engine wrote:1980 Part 3 Limited domain hits

This will possibly be the last year that I'll be documenting with this "cat C". Even here, there are not too many. The year 1980 was one of massive success and classic output for IR. In my books, this year was so phenomenal that even other biggie years of 80's would find it tough to match on "quality" and success!

Let me stop my blA-blA and get into the documenting business...

#255 Baby shake it Baby (Saibaba, SPS & SPB, kALi)
This song was a 'radio-only-hit'. And at times as a filler in the "end of the cassettes" that played on the bus Laughing 

#256 kaNNA nee engE vA vA nee ingE (SJ solo, rusi kaNda poonai)
SJ sang this in "small baby voice" and the song got frequently played on radio. I don't think it got happily lapped up in other domains, however. OTOH, most people who listened to TFM in the 70's and 80's couldn't have missed this peculiar song Embarassed  SJ later did another in child voice with GA as MD for the movie mouna geethangaL (KBR super hit movie) and that one was a super hit (daddy daddy)

#257 anbu mugam thandha sugam (IR solo, rusi kaNda poonai)
Another "radio-only-hit" song

#258 azhagiya malargaLin pudhuvidha oorvalamE (SJ and chorus, ullAsappaRavaigaL)
This didn't match the popularity of the other songs of the album in any degree. Many who knew germaniyin may not know the existence of this even - but it had its share of coverage when the album was at its peak

#259 engengum kaNdEnammA (MV-SPB duet, ullAsappaRavaigaL)
Limited popularity, despite SPB doing mimicry (suruLi / VAM duet IIRC)

#260 vaNNa vaNNa vaNNa (SJ solo, poottAdha poottukkaL)
I've heard this often on radio and may be a few times on buses.

#261 nenjukuLLE Asai (SJ solo, poottAdha poottukkaL)
Ditto like the number above

#262 paruva kAlangaLin kanavu (SJ-MV duet, moodupani)
Since en iniya pon nilAvE took all the spots that people could give in their channels for this movie, this song got neglected - despite being very good - and had to settle for "radio-only-and otherwise-limted-reach" status Sad

#263 Asai rAjA AreerO (UR solo short song, moodupani)
Another radio-only hit, per my memory. Sometimes on buses but didn't go much farther.

#264 magizhampoovE unnaippArththEn (PS-KJY duet, pudhiya adimaigaL)
Another hit song from an unreleased movie, thanks to IOKS! Got covered in the "misra chApu" thread also Smile

Hey we're done with the great year 1980! 
(I had to toss 'mummy pEru mAri' which some may recall as SJ singing in male voice, not considering for the "hit list". Alas, I have never heard it prior to some super singer show where SJ sang it or when I watched NK on youtube for the first time...how to call it a hit from 1980? )

"Thithikkum" was not played on radio except Radio Ceylon.  i was studying in Vivekananda college, Madras when Kali came out.  About 5 of us used to walk about to a restaurant that was at the intersection of Luz Corner and Kutchery Road that had juke box every day for lunch for over a month just to play this song on the juke box Smile

ank

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next