Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

+15
[μsic]மாபியா
crimson king
BC
vss1902
al_gates
counterpoint
mythila
IsaiRasigan
jaiganesh
ravinat
Drunkenmunk
ank
Usha
app_engine
raagakann
19 posters

Page 5 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 31  Next

Go down

Any TN hits from "rAman adbullA"?

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 5 Vote_lcap0%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 5 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 5 Vote_lcap43%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 5 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 3 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 5 Vote_lcap0%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 5 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 5 Vote_lcap29%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 5 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 5 Vote_lcap14%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 5 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 5 Vote_lcap14%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 5 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 5 Empty Re: Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

Post  app_engine Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:07 am

1985 Super Hits - 5th Installment

#712 ada machcham uLLa (SPS-SJ-TVG-SPB group song, chinna veedu)
V_Sji had done a detailed post in the hub as requested by me in the SPB-IR thread, a song with ton of things happening! Though this movie didn't do like mundhAnai mudichchu, IIRC, probably matched the run of dhAvaNikkanavugaL - or better. In any case, KBR was on the descending bell curve after mundhAnai mudichchu which was the peak!

#713 chittukkuruvi vekkappadudhu (SJ-SPB duet, chinna veedu)
Very popular song and frequently talked about on forums (both for right and wrong reasons Embarassed )

#714 veLLa manam uLLa machchAn (Sunandha - MV duet, chinna veedu)
Sweet number, was heard everywhere those days

#715 jAmam AgippOchchu En mAmA mAmA (KSC-MV duet, chinna veedu)
Another "typical-KBR" song and was frequently played on buses and teakkadais. I've never had a personal copy of this but heard only on such "broadcasts"

#716 chinnappoo chinnappoo (SJ solo, jappAnil kalyANarAman)
One of the two super hit songs from this album...other songs could have become super popular if the movie did better like its prequel.

#717 rAdhE en rAdhE vArAdhE (SJ-Ramesh- Sundarrajan, jappAnil kalyANarAman)
The chipmunk voice was a big novelty at that point of time and this song was heard everywhere those days (possibly mainly for that reason and also being from a KH movie)

#718 ooraiththerinjukkittEn ulagam purinjukkittEn (KJY solo, padikkAdhavan)
The song is popular to this day. Interestingly, there was even a "remake" made by S-G for Visu's samsAram adhu minsAram (MV the singer, spoof?) which was popular as well. There was also a movie made in that name.

#719 solli adippEnadi (SJ-MV duet with chorus, padikkAdhavan)
The whole album was a super hit and so was the movie. By the time the movie came out, I was in Kerala and the movie and songs were popular even there.

#720 oru koottukkiLiyAga (MV solo, padikkAdhavan)
Song for NT who acted as elder brother to Rajini, patti thotti hit

#721 rAjAvukku rAjA nAndA (SPB solo, padikkAdhavan)
Horrible video but the song was popular nevertheless

#722 sOdikkiLi engE sollu sollu (SJ-SPB duet, padikkAdhavan)

Racy duet - especially lovable portion is that "aththa maha rathinamE"

#723 kalaivANiyE unaiththAnE azhaiththEn (KJY, sindhubhairavi)
The ArOhaNam only song. Despite having less cinematic elements (semi-classical), the song was popular everywhere.

#724 nAnoru sindhu kAvadichchindhu (KSC solo, sindhubhairavi)
What a song! One gets goosebumps the moment the solo violin starts (after the initial couple of lines sung by KSC). Evergreen favorite!

#725 pAdaRiyEn padippaRiyEn (KSC solo, sindhubhairavi)
It is quite interesting to see that the female singer got more mileage in an album that was for a movie about a male singer Smile Well, one of the MOST BRILLIANT songs ever in the history of TFM IMHO. Also, one that elevated TN folk to the classic(al) status! Accurately reproducing the swarams before mari mari ninnE in the ending is the benchmark today for winning reality shows Wink

#726 poomAlai vAngi vandhEn pookkaL illaiyE (KJY solo, sindhubhairavi)
patti thotti hit, needs no intro

#727 thaNNiththotti thEdi vandha kannukkutti nAn (KJY solo, sindhubhairavi)
A rare case of Sivakumar excelling on screen, was, this song - he did really well IMHO. All-time-fav number! I haven't included the rest of the SB songs in the "super hit" list even though they also got played along with these numbers in buses and everywhere. That is because those weren't "muNu muNuththufied" by people of all backgrounds to qualify as truly super hit numbers IMO. (i.e. mahA gaNapthim, mari mari ninnE, manadhil uRudhi, mOgam ennum theeyil - all those will get into part B)

There are more super hits (i.e. Part A) from this year 1985 and will try to complete in the next post Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 5 Empty Re: Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

Post  app_engine Fri May 05, 2017 10:26 pm

1985 Super Hits - Last installment

With this post, I'm trying to complete the super hits from this year - but the otherwise hit songs will have to be done (part B) and that'll be the next post.

After that, another volunteer will be necessary to take this thread forward Smile
(Please recall the requirements set in the beginning of the thread - based on them, I don't qualify for the period from 1986 onward, as I didn't live inside TN - though Palakkad is only < 30 miles from the border).

As a help, I will provide spreadsheets for each of the years (from 1986 to 2016, i.e 31 years / spreadsheets) containing all the TF songs, based on Anbu sir's spreadsheet. These will be in the same workbook where I've done the years 1976 to 1985 that can serve as a template.

What's more - I can even highlight some of the songs that I knew as popular (during my trips / otherwise).

I'll also tweet this post to many known IRFs on twitter and solicit volunteers Smile

#728 thuLLi ezhundhadhu pAttu (IR solo, geethAnjali)
Terrific song for a flop movie. While the album was popular, it's possible pAvalar brothers (and distributors) lost a lot with this project.

#729 oru jeevan azhaiththadhu (KSC-IR duet, geethAnjali)
Another huge hit from this album. The song was heard everywhere when the album came out and is still fondly remembered by many. There is also a pathos version.

#730 poovE poochchooda vA (KJY solo - also KSC solo, poovE poochchooda vA)

The movie was such a refreshing change to TF, with Fazil providing a different, even off-beat movie from TN PoV, yet a big mass entertainer! Nadhiya became instant sensation. The song is popular to this day! This was the beginning of yet another talented director in TF who associated with IR for a number of projects!

#731 chinnakkuyil pAdum pAttu kEkkudhA (KSC solo with some chorus, poovE poochchooda vA)
What a song! One that earned KSC that nickname Smile I remember kumudam reviewer praising this song very highly and at the same time did uLkuththu (calling this as a good song in a very long time - nonsense fellow).

#732 pattAsa chuttuchchuttu (KSC and chorus, poovE poochchooda vA)
The whole album was a riot - of course, these got promoted well on vividh bhArathi ads too on radio Embarassed

#733 idhayam oru kOyil (IR / SPB solo, two versions, both with SJ humming, idhaykkOyil)
No intro needed for this #IR_Waltz Smile What's more, this is a case of "compose a melody, write lyrics, orchestrate and sing" - total IR-package Smile There are many who feel his version is as good as, if not superior to, the SPB version.

#734 oorOramA Aththuppakkam thennanthOppu (KSC - IR duet with chorus, idhayakkOyil)
The album that marked the end of a glorious collaboration between IR and Kovaiththambi, the producer who did all those "IlayairAjAvin innisai mazhaiyil" posters for his Motherland Pictures movies Sad Per one of his recent interviews, he was upset with the extravagance of the director (Money Ratnam) and showed his displeasure by getting angry at IR Laughing May be IR "promoted" MR those days and asked the producer to sign up a newbie director (with great potential, not based on pagal nilavu but based on his first Kannada movie) for this project.

#735 koottaththilE kOyil puRA (SPB solo, idhayakkOyil)
Motherland pictures "regular", Mohan was in the project with his mike. All songs were patti-thotti-citi hit.

#736 nAn pAdum mouna rAgam (SPB solo, idhayakkOyil)
The only VM song in the IR-MR koottaNi albums, that were trend setters in a time period. Though MR credits VM for his next movie's title (based on this song), he didn't let him write even one song for that project Laughing It was a 100% Vaali show - even though VM was still working with IR. Another thing to be noted - VM is not the first ever person to use this "mouna rAgam" term as some would like to believe. At the minimum, I've heard it in the Telugu dubbed version of dharma yudhdham song (AgAya gangai I think). Also, the concept had been there for years, even in TF (not sure about Litt). Something like "mounamE pArvAiyAy oru pAttuppAda vENdum" is an old PBS song. There was this KBR movie "mouna geethangaL" years before this etc.

#737 pAttuththalaivan pAdinAl pAttuththAn (SJ-SPB duet, idhayakkOyil)
MP movies always featured SJ-SPB duets and each of them were immensely popular. This was no exception. However, in my personal opinion, the duets of IK weren't of the same quality as prior MP ones Embarassed

#738 yAr veettil rOjA poo pooththadhO (SPB solo, idhayakkOyil)
Song with some fear-inspiring interludes / call-responses in the ending pallavi that inform a listener about something terrible happening on screen.

#739 vAnuyarndha sOlaiyilE (SPB solo with SJ humming, idhayakkOyil)
Some eeriness with the humming Embarassed pAdal varigaL credited to pAvalar Varadharajan, IR's elder brother.

#740 mAlaikkarukkalil sOlaikkarunguyil (SJ-KJY duet, also a pathos SJ solo, neethiyin maRupakkam)
Fantastic song and a big hit from a not-well-known movie.

#741 adhikAlai subhavELai un Olai vandhadhu (SJ-KJY duet, natpu)
Never had a personal copy but heard this song 100's of times on buses and other public places! Especially during night travels Smile

#742 ennammA kaNNu sowkyamA (MV-SPB duet, Mr Bharath)
Rajini-Sathyaraj (playing son-father) and the song has a terrific prelude (after the initial ennammA kaNNu-sollammA kaNNu, the typical loLLu language of Sathyaraj). I think this song got remixed in recent times for Rajini's son-in-law.

#743 kAthirundhEn kadhavaththoRandhu uLLukkuL vAdi (SJ-SPB duet, Mr Bharath)
Comedy picturization for a sweet song. (Rajini-Ambi chEchi dance inside a refrigerator Laughing ). patti-thotti hit, of course.

#744 aththi marappoovidhu (SJ solo, sAdhanai)
This album got promoted well - there were ads on radio frequently with a clip of this song, telling people about IR doing some NI style music Embarassed Well, the album was quite popular but not sure if the movie did well or not. (Another case of NT promoting Prabhu).

#745 engE nAn kANbEn (VJ-MV duet, sAdhanai)

By this time, MV had been accepted as the regular voice for NT (remember this movie came much after mudhal mariyAdhai) and this song got played frequently in buses and recording centers, per my recall

#746 O vAnampAdi unnai nAdi (SJ-SPB duet, sAdhanai)
Sweet #IR_Waltz and a big hit those days, featured in MP3 collections even currently!

#747 nAn pooveduththu vaikkaNum pinnAla (SJ-SPB duet, nAnum oru thozhilALi)
As discussed in the IR-SPB thread of the hub, this movie was in production for a while and eventually got released in 1986 by Sridhar. In Kerala, the title was 'meeNdum sooryOdhayam' but could not use it in TN because of politics - that too with MGR ailing Laughing. This song was a patti-thotti hit and I heard it 100's of times on buses alone! For those who have not read the discussion on this movie / songs in the IR-SPB thread, please rush to the hub and read all the posts. Lot of interesting stuff there Wink

#748  sembaruththippoovE singAram kaNdu (SJ-SPB duet, nAnum oru thozhilALi)
Not a fav. for me Embarassed The song was big hit, however, even in Palakkad

#749 pattuppoovE unnaippArththAl (SPB solo, nAnum oru thozhilALi)
The whole album was very popular even though the movie was a disaster. Per Murali sir's post in the hub, Sridhar was "making" it from 1981 onward and it was advertised as the first movie for KH-Ambi chEchi combo Laughing

#750 oru nilavum malarum nadanam puriyum (SJ-SPB duet, nAnum oru thozhilALi)
Quintessential example for a "racy" duet Smile

We are now done with the super hits of this year...will come back with the other hits next.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:23 am

I'll have to reconstruct my spreadsheet for all the years already done Embarassed
(Problem of not backing up and losing the original spreadsheet)...

Well, it will be some more days before I revive and complete the year 1985 Sad

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:56 pm

app_engine wrote:I'll have to reconstruct my spreadsheet for all the years already done Embarassed
(Problem of not backing up and losing the original spreadsheet)...

Well, it will be some more days before I revive and complete the year 1985 Sad

This task is progressing well, for the past couple of days Smile 

I've updated till 1980...should be done in a day or two and then work on 1985's last part!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:50 pm

1985 Hits (Part B - 1st installment)

Restarting this exercise...

Thought I can fill all these not-so-super-hits-but-popular songs from 1985 in just one post but cannot, as there are simply too many. So I need to split Embarassed

#751 azhagE azhagE ennOdu vA (SJ-MV duet, piLLai nilA)
Song was popular on buses and recording centers, also on radio - but didn't have the reach of 'rAjA magaL' that had multiple versions. Per Manobala, this movie was a hit and gave him further opportunities. I've never seen that movie Embarassed

#752 puththagaththai mellappurattu (SJ-MV duet, annai bhoomi)
This Vijayakanth 3D movie that came after the big success of kuttichchAththan proved to be an utter flop, almost finishing the resources of dEvar films. This was the only song from that album that I've heard on buses quite often.

#753 anbE anbE neeyE endhan AdhAram (KSC solo, urimai)
Never heard of the movie before the internet era but this song was popular!

#754 malarE nalamA madimEl vizhavA (SJ-KJY duet, urimai)
Another popular song from the same movie that I came to know about only after the advent of net. Very nice song!

#755 poongAtRE theeNdAdhE (SJ plus chorus, kungumachchimizh)
Best song of that popular album for director R Sundarrajan, though not as popular as the nilavu thoongum nEram and gooda vaNdiyilE kinds. Personal fav.

#756 kAttukkuLLa karugamaNi (SJ solo with chorus, eetti)
Found out today that there's another eetti movie from recent times Embarassed This song from Vijayakanth movie was quite popular on buses and radio, after I left TN. Heard it mostly in Coimbatore in 1986.

#757 oru nAL oru pozhudhu (SJ solo, eetti)
Another song similar to the above number. Interesting to see that both songs that got popular from a Vijayakanth movie were female solos Smile

#758 kELAyO kaNNA (PS - Usha Srinivasan duet, nAnE rAjA nAnE manthiri)
This is a PS solo in my mind based on my involuntary listenings in that time period (the usual places such as buses / tea shops, never had the song in my collections). Anbu sir's spreadsheet adds another singer to this song Smile

#759 Ey indhira puththiranA (SPS-MV duet, aduththAththu Albert)
Fun song from this movie with a funny title, frequently heard involuntarily those days

#760 vA vA mysore malliyE (SJ-Ramesh-MV group song, aduththAththu Albert)
I believe the original (melody) of this song exists in Kannada and is credited to GKV. Possibly done by IR when he was his assistant and didn't need permission to re-use here. Another fun song from this album which was heard in public those days.

#761 sondhangaLE sutRangaLE (MV solo, aduththAththu Albert)
Perhaps the only MV pathos song in CSJ mode as otherwise he did only fun or romantic numbers in that voice. With typical IR-orch, this had reasonable air time on all media.

#762 orE rAgam orE thALam orE pAdal pAda vA (SJ-KJY duet, amudha gAnam)
Another case of song being well-known with no idea about the movie / album it belonged to. Knew the name of the movie only in the net era.

#763 enna vENum thinnungadA dOy (SPB solo, uyarndha uLLam)
While the pAdal varigaL are admittedly irritable, the orch for even this song is top notch. The song had its reach but not to the extent of other popular numbers from this album.

#764 malarE malarE ullAsam (SJ solo, un kaNNil neer vazhindhAl)
Though the BM venture with Rajini failed at BO, a couple of songs became popular and this was one.

#765 kuyilu kuyilu idhu kAttukkuyilu (SJ solo, selvi)
Fun song with some voice changes in the beginning - only SJ possible stuff Smile

#766 appappA thiththikkum (Dr Kalyan / SPB duet, jappAnil kalyANarAman)
I thought this was SPB solo, looks like there's another voice. The song was quite popular but not to the extent of original kalyANa rAman

#767 yappappOy yammammOy (KH/ Sundarrajan, jappAnil kalyANarAman)
Another reasonably popular song from this flop movie

#768 vAyyA vAyyA pOyyA pOyyA (SPB with chorus, jappAnil kalyANarAman)
This was more known as a 'vEtti madichchukkattu' song to me Laughing

#769 malarE pEsu mounamozhi (KSC-IR duet, geethAnjali)
Another popular duet from that pAvalar creations album, though slightly less popular than oru jeevan azhaiththadhu

Will post the balance in next post and complete chronicling IR hit history during my TN days Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:03 pm

1985 Hits (Part B - Last installment)

#770 dhAgamE uNdAnadhE (UR-KJY duet, ketti mELam)

The only Visu directed movie for which IR was the MD. And this is the only song that became popular (never even heard the other songs before).

#771 Adal kalaiyE dEvan thandhadhu (KJY solo, Sri Ragavendrar)
The song is popular to this day (proof - super singer kind of TV reality shows). Only a moderate hit, as per my observation. Also, none of the other songs from this album could be called hit in any sense (that sampling of "unakkum enakkum" song by a western artist notwithstanding)

#772 vAn veLiyil oru oonjal parakkudhu (IR solo, thanga mAmA)
Yet another 3D movie that became a terrible flop, this song was a moderate hit - may be because it got heavily promoted on radio Embarassed

#773 mAn kaNdEn mAn kaNdEn (VJ-KJY duet with some chorus, rAja rishi)
Sweet song which was the only one that make it to the charts from this album, as the space was so crowded with tons of super songs from IR those days Embarassed

#774 nAn unnaiththAnE kAdhaliththEnE (KSC solo, murattukkarangaL)
The song had been played often on buses but I don't remember even hearing the name of the movie before Embarassed Such movie titles are remembered only because of IR's songs (& Anbu sir's spreadsheet Smile )

#775 anbE anbE engE engE (SJ solo with some chorus, sAdhanai)
Another hit song from the movie featuring NT as a movie director (promoting Prabhu as the hero - how many such attempts Embarassed )

#776 AhA silukkuththAvaNi kAththula paRakkudhu (KSC-Krishnachandar duet, karimEdu karuvAyan)
Heard this song frequently but never knew the movie, as in the case of many albums those days. The youtube shows (late) Pandiyan on-screen

#777 kAttukkuLLE kAdhal kiLiyakkaNdEn (SJ solo, karimEdu karuvAyan)
What a sweet song! Remember covering this song in the VM thread also. Personal favorite - frequently heard on Coimbatore buses in the subsequent years...

With that sweet number, concluding 1985 - the last year of my TN presence.

I'm yet to get a volunteer for the next year. I'll meanwhile prepare the spreadsheets (with my own recommendations of hit song, based on experiences while away from TN, but it is up to the volunteer to accept or not).

So, in the first decade of IR's performance in TFM, he had 777 hits!
applause

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  IsaiRasigan Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:16 am

Kudos sir:) the clap noteworthy applause

IsaiRasigan

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:32 am

நன்றி இசை ரசிகன்!

1985 வரையான ஆண்டுவாரியான ஹிட் பட்டியல்

Year
Cat A (Super Hits)
Cat B (Hits)
Cat C (Moderate Hits)
Year Total
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
Total so far

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:49 pm

As mentioned in the beginning of the thread, being a "NRTN" (non-resident-Thamizh-nAdAn), I'm not qualified to do 1986 onward.

So far, there's no volunteer that can take up the job (who wants to run it as I did for 1976-1985).

It is still open, if someone wants to take the baton and I can provide the spreadsheet and material to work on.

If no one has bandwidth / availability, we need to find out some kind of alternative for the rest of the years (well, not few - 3+ decades as of now , 1986-2017, and more to come!  Laughing )

Some suggestions :

1. Get a volunteer for each year. I can supply that year's spreadsheet and let the person do the rating and do his comments or he only does the rating and we all can put together some comments.

2.  e-mail (or google doc / share) each year's spreadsheet to make it available to multiple forum members (those who are reasonably active either here or twitter) and get the collective "ratings" and then post here.

3. Start posting details of each song (one album at a time) right here in this thread and solicit opinions (super hit / hit / not hit) . Based on the collective opinion (as long as it appears reasonable to most people), we can include / exclude.

4. Any other reasonable method to recall the "actual hit status in TN"

What do you think?

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:50 pm

app,
 yarum ilaiya.. bhadhil solla........ Best members ellam enga ponanga........

point 1 and 3 is good  ........ to share the details......

(for my personal experience.. from the  85 was away from my native vilage.. went to Dharmapuri..
angae radio stations ellam sariyaga edukadhu.........(en village il edukum. near salem.. kashtapadavilai.. raja songs kaetka..)

ennudaiya radio.. ingae work agavilali.. paatu kaetka vazhi ilai... paatu kaetka playerum ilai.. yar veetilavadhu vaithal..
paatai kaeten.. padam parkukm podhu paatu kaeten...)

indha kashtam... 90s varai irundhadhu.. piragu dhan.. tvil.. songs.. kaetka mudindhadhu... ipodhu  internet.. mudindha varai
kaetkiren.. anal.. 

indha hit...  from 90s...(IR Fan's choice aga than iruka mudiyum... adhu dhan nam varaiyil hit....... endru eduthu kolla vendum.)+

adhanal.. enaku therindhadhai  sollalama.......

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:42 pm

Usha akkA,

Most regulars are now busy at twitter Smile

Reactions on twitter:
-sagi posted that his choice is #3
-plum made his comment on how ARR is claiming not many of the 40-50 albums of IR were hits, only just a few - then why all this exercise Smile
-parisal Krishna volunteered to be part of the group to help

Either way, I'm planning to do two things:

1. Send the "IR_Hit_List" spreadsheet as separate e-mails to whoever is interested in being part of the exercise (regardless of whether they can take up a whole year or not). I may even send it to some of our earlier regulars who are not that active right now Wink
2. Start posting the albums of 1986 one by one in this thread (option 3 for that year) as a (possibly) fun exercise to start with.

I agree with you that in the late 90's and into the new millennium, HCIRF's may not be the best source to gauge the actual hit status as they could have possibly moved away from the mainstream listening channels to "only listen to IR" Laughing

However, it should not affect our exercise much - as most of his TFM hits are from years prior anyways (late 90's and new millennium had more Malayalam and Telugu hits IMHO) - so, we don't have to worry much about TFM hits in general in those years. (For e.g. I won't worry about if mAyakkaNNAdi was a popular hit in TN or not, those are not much in reckoning in the grand scheme of things)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:14 pm

I've sent the spreadsheet to most regulars yesterday (individual e-mails). Please check, if you've not seen already Smile

Some have already responded stating that they'll be able to take up some years, once they can find some bandwidth.

Meanwhile, we'll start the 1986 exercise right here in this thread. Since I'll be referring to the order of movies / songs from the spreadsheet, if someone wants a copy of it to follow the thread more easily, please PM.

The first album on the list is AkrOsham, possibly a dubbed from Telugu.
(A Kothandarami Reddy director, VJ lead female singer etc makes one think so. Besides, I've never heard the name of the movie or any of the songs those days)

songs in the list :

sridEvi thodum sugam kedaikkumA (MV/VJ)
unnOdu nAn (VJ/SPS)
yenna vENum solladA thOzhA (MV)
AgAyam maNNil vandhu Adum (VJ)
yennenna muththam (MV/VJ)

I will vote for "None" Embarassed

Please post your choices Smile
(Let me see if some poll option can be set in the thread for this exercise)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:12 pm

app sir, my choice is #3 for listing IR hits post 85 till date.

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:55 pm

Moving on, the next film on the 1986 chart is "ALappiRandhavan" and the spreadsheet says all songs had lyrics by IR (Director A S Prakasam).

One of the songs is very familiar to me - even though I wasn't living in TN (because of listening to the song during road trips quite often). May not be a super hit song but a hit song nevertheless - EtRi vachcha neruppinilE.

Actually, I've posted about this song in IR-SPB thread of the hub Wink
http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB&s=b14287517ac376ab200b554d8f1e2f8e&p=802050&viewfull=1#post802050

In any case, let me have the songs posted on the poll and see what others think, during the weekend Smile

kodi katti paRakiRa rAjA (MV)
yERRi vachcha neruppinilE (SPB-KSC)
unnaiyum yennaiyum katti izhukuthadi (KJY-SJ)
ennAl mudiyAthu summA iruppathu (MV)
machchAnukku veththalai madichu vachchirunthEn (SJ-Sundarrajan)

BTW, while the album was a 1986-er, the movie came out in 1987 it looks like. So most websites list these as 1987 songs.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Per feedback (and my experiences as a "visitor to TN"), we'll add two more to the IR Hits, but only as Cat B, from ALappiRandhAn :

#778 EtRi vachcha neruppinilE (KSC-SPB duet, ALappiRandhAn)
#779 unnaiyum ennaiyum katti izhukkudhadee (SJ-KJY, ALappiRandhAn)

I don't know any song from "Africavil appu" - but will let others comment on it. So, that will be the next one to go on the poll Smile

Andavan piLLaigaLE yArum bhoomi meethilE (PJ)
chiinanj chiru yAnai kaNdathu thAyai (SJ)
kaNmani appu un kaNgaLil muthu (KSC)
yenakku nAnE rAjA ippOthu (MV)

This will be on for a couple of days before we get to the next one (which will be AKK and may not need a poll)...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:56 pm

So, no songs picked from Africavil appu by anyone.

Fair enough Smile

Moving on to the next album - amman kOvil kozhakkAlE - which was biggie, as per my observations during weekly / monthly Coimbatore trips during 1986!

Following are to be voted :

chinna maNi kuyilE mella varum mayilE  (SPB solo)
un pArvaiyil OrAyiram (Two versions, KSC solo / KSC-KJY duet)
kadai veethi kalakalkkum (SPB kuzhuvinar)
kAlai nEra poongkuyil (SPB solo, SPB-SJ duet)
mooNu mudichAlE (MV kuzhuvinar)
poovai yeduthu oru mAlai (PJ-SJ duet)
kummALamthAn (Never heard this one / don't recall)

Will change the poll for these now.

Other than the last kummALam, every song was a super hit IMVSO!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:08 pm

I see less votes for 'oru mooNu mudichchAla' & 'kadaveedhi kalakalakkum'.

So, need to clarify the purpose of the poll : It is not WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE poll Smile

It is, "WAS THIS SONG A HIT IN TN" poll.

May be the voters are already aware, but I need to reiterate, for clarity Wink

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:07 pm

Well, AKK being an undisputed hit album, let me add the songs to our historic list :

#780 chinna maNikkuyilu (SPB solo)
patti thotti hit, talked about quite a lot - covered in detail in the IR-SPB thread in the hub

#781 un pArvaiyil OrAyiram (KSC-KJY duet, also KSC solo)
Very popular, to this day!

#782 kadai veedhi kalakalakkum (SPB + chorus)
Fun song, played everywhere when the album arrived

#783 kAlai nErappoonguyil (SPB solo, also SJ-SPB duet)
Darling song of the buses those days - played all the time

#784 mooNu mudichchAlE muttALA AnEn (MV / Sundarrajan and chorus)
Another patti-thotti hit

#785 poovai eduththu oru mAlai thoduththu vachchEnE (SJ-PJ duet)
Sweet number that was as popular as the other songs of the album

The last song wasn't much known and so not included. Let's move on to next album, that has a iconic song!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:12 pm

aRuvadai nAL has this terrific KSC solo, dEvanin kOyil moodiya nEram (with a slogan-style IR vocal harmonic prelude of course).

Let us list and poll for the songs of this album what reach they had in TN. From my experience of bus travels to-from Palakkad, these songs enjoyed quite some popularity on buses. However, we need to listen to TN-dwellers of that time period.

dEvanin kOyil moodiya nEram (KSC-IR)
nAnga seiyiRathellAm neenga poRuthukaNum (MV-GA)
oru kAviyam arangERum nEram (IR)
Olai kuruthOlai kARRila Aduthu (SJ)
chinna poNNu chinna poNNu (VJ-SJ-MV)
vAkkapattu vaLavi pOttu vadakka munna pORa poNNE (MV)
mELathai mella thattu (SJ-MV)
Silent Night Holy Night (Choir)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:06 pm

Based on my personal experience in trips to TN and what most others who voted seem to agree, let us pick the three songs listed as hits and add to the history Smile

#786 dEvanin kOvil moodiya nEram (KSC solo, aRuvadai nAL)
Perhaps the best poem written by GA for movie songs in his career. With terrific orch and an endearing melody, what a song this one is! Popular to this day and it crossed state boundaries to reverberate even in KL

#787 mELaththai mellaththattu (SJ-MV duet, aRuvadai nAL)
This song is also included in one of the MP3 disks I recently picked up roadside during India trip (some collection named some XYZ IR hits)

#788 OlakkuruththOlai (SJ solo, aRuvadai nAL)
Another song that had been voted by many and is once again part of the same MP3 I talked about above - some proof that it reached everywhere in TN during its heydays

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:17 pm

Next album from 1986 is December pookkaL (this one is available on #IR_Official_YT).

azhagAga sirithathu antha nilavu (P.Jayachandran / S.Janaki)
sambOnnu solli vantha sAmy (S.Janaki / Chorus)
mAlaigaL idam mAruthu (K.J.Yesudas / K.S.Chithra / Chorus)
indha veNnilA yendRu vanthathu (K.S.Chithra)
nooRaNdu kAlangaL nee vAzha vENdum (K.S.Chithra / Chorus)

Superb album. Of course, the first song was a top hit and was popular everywhere, per my observation. Two more are very familiar as I've heard frequently on buses and radios (mAlaigaL idam mARudhu and indha veNNilA). nooRaNdu kAlangal is #IR_misrA and a recent find for me. The sambO song is totally unfamiliar.

Let us see what TN-vAzhndha makkaL think Wink

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:02 pm

radio hit patri theriyadhu.. Bus hit dhan theriyum.......

indha time... ella paatum.. record seidhu kaetkum culture vandhadhu... thani patta neyar virupamagavum padalgal kaetka
mudindhadhu...

azhagaga sirithathu andha nilavu, indha vennila, malaigal idam marudhu.. ellam busil kaetu iruken.... local town busil....

(paadhi paatil iranga manasu varadhu.. stanza kaetal konjam nimmadhi.. adhuvum illamal.. paatu arambithu.. irangara
stopping vandhu irangum podhu.. stanza epadi irukum.. interlude epadi irukum... endra sogathudan dhan iranguvom....)

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:38 pm

I'm going with Usha chEchi's bus experience (which aligns with mine) for this december pookkaL & add those three songs as hits (azhagAga siriththadhu is obviously super hit while others were hits)...

#789 azhagAga siriththadhu andha nilavu (SJ-PJ, december pookkaL)
Terrific prelude (that comes after the initial pallavi)!

#790 mAlaigaL idam mARudhu mARudhu (KSC-KJY duet, december pookkaL)
This is among the songs where KJY messes up pronunciation. He says, poojai as "boojai" two times IIRC rotfl

#791 indha veNNilA (KSC solo, december pookkaL)
"Feels" similar to rAdhA azhaikkiRAL of theRkaththikkaLLan (that possibly came out later). Excellent orch and recording quality, for the period of time!

Let us move on to the next album now.

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:40 pm

dharma paththini is the next 1986 album and 'nAn thEdum sevvandhippoovidhu' won't need any intro / qualification etc to be called a super hit Smile

Let me list all the songs in the poll :

nAn thEdum sevvanthi poovithu ilaiyaRaaja / S.Janaki
kAthirunthEn kNavA kAnbathellAm kanavA S.Janaki
sumangali poojai idhu P.Susheela / S.P.Sailaja
muththam katti muththam K.J.Yesudas / K.S.Chithra
mottuthAn idhu idhu S.Janaki / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:07 am

radiovil thadai seiya patta padal.. mottu dhan idhu idhu..and muttham katti mutham..
bus hit dhan..... mottudhan idhu and mutham katti mutham.......

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 31  Next