Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more

+3
Drunkenmunk
Usha
ravinat
7 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more - Page 4 Empty Re: தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more

Post  V_S Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:19 pm

Congratulations sir for achieving yet another milestone cheers cheers cheers Lot of dedication and passion went into this. This thread is really a gem and priceless.

Back to top Go down

தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more - Page 4 Empty Re: தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more

Post  ravinat Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:21 pm

Great work App cheers

It is not easy to collect and catalog such information as it is lying all over the place. Will serve as a reference to all future IR researchers!

ravinat

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:44 am

mikka nanRi for the kind words V_Sji & Ravi sir!

வெறும் லிஸ்ட் போடறதுக்கே நாம இவ்வளவு மெனக்கெட வேண்டியிருக்கு. 

அதுவும் இவரோட வேலையின் 1%ஐயும் விடக்குறைவான ஒரு தொகுப்புக்கு Smile

இது போல் 100 மடங்கு - முழுமையாக உருவாக்கிய ஆளின் மூளையும் உழைப்பும் - ஆஹா!

நானெல்லாம் அதை மெச்சக்கூட அருகதை இல்லாதவன்! Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  naarayanan Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:01 am

Usha, thanks for remembering.. Smile BTW we have resurrected Dhool.. In a new platform.. Blog+ FB.. Will give u link.

naarayanan

Back to top Go down

Post  naarayanan Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:04 am

http://newdhool.blogspot.in/?m=1

naarayanan

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:52 pm

Narayana,
   Welcome. Thanks for the link. pakkaren......

IR songs. inum enna. therinja solla mudiyuma..........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  ravinat Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:47 pm

app_engine wrote:mikka nanRi for the kind words V_Sji & Ravi sir!

வெறும் லிஸ்ட் போடறதுக்கே நாம இவ்வளவு மெனக்கெட வேண்டியிருக்கு. 

அதுவும் இவரோட வேலையின் 1%ஐயும் விடக்குறைவான ஒரு தொகுப்புக்கு Smile

இது போல் 100 மடங்கு - முழுமையாக உருவாக்கிய ஆளின் மூளையும் உழைப்பும் - ஆஹா!

நானெல்லாம் அதை மெச்சக்கூட அருகதை இல்லாதவன்! Smile

That was my message when I responded to CK on the harmonization of ICM. We need to be heads down uncovering different aspects of his work. Most of us have FT jobs that make it very hard to do this research. At the same time, it makes us more qualified than the ones who depend on it for a livelihood. We have no bias to spin something with an agenda. We do not expect anything in return. Just sharing the pleasure of our findings with fellow IR fans.

Research is not glamorous. The output sometimes turns out to be so. We should not shun from that as the results may not always be in our favor. To quote a personal example, I started off trying to find symmetry in Raja's work and did not find much to document. However, having researched this topic from a simple symmetry perspective, I realized that film music has no scope for such things. Aakarsh started me on this trip (no fault of him) and I started off with an interlude in a song called 'Eerettu Padhinaaru' and quickly realized that there was no true symmetry in that interlude though it appears so, on the surface. I went looking for symmetry in several other compositions and had only limited success. This topic is for the mathematically minded and I am sure I lost quite a few readers as a result of this endeavor. I wanted to do tessellations and I realized that when I do not find readers who can understand simple translation symmetry, everything else becomes academic.  However, I decided to press along and publish all the research that I had done.

Some research work in inconclusive and you have to be brave to drop them. I have several of these projects that I abandoned. However, symmetry research did not show Raja in great light and to me that was fine. That is not Raja's focus, but mine looking into his music. My methods could have not uncovered true symmetry and I am aware of that. I liked the comment from one of my readers - tell me where the hell did you find true symmetry in Raja's music Smile

I am not writing about all this to brag about the work I do, but to encourage folks doing research on Raja's music that the road ahead is not very smooth. I have a number of requests from folks who would ask me - where do I download Raja's music? I have a standard response for such requests.

"He is many things to many people - decide what you like of him and then I will advise you. Does his melody, his arrangement, his rhythm, his folk, his ICM, his disco, his harmonies attract you? Think about it."

I am sure most of these requestors think I am a snob as they have no idea what to do after this response bounce

My only hope is one of these guys/gals will start looking for at least one idea that I teased him/her, go on to forums such as this and try to appreciate Raja better. Your work is very important and please do not shy away from uninteresting research work, that may never win you many friends. Rest assured, I always will support serious attempts to catalog, analyze Raja's work, as true learning comes from such strong foundation.

ravinat

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  naarayanan Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:52 am

Usha wrote:Narayana,
   Welcome. Thanks for the link. pakkaren......

IR songs. inum enna. therinja solla mudiyuma..........

இதயம் போகுதே... already listed?

naarayanan

Back to top Go down

Post  naarayanan Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:07 am

Ignorebthe previous msg.. I just played the song in misram in my mind.. Of course it sounds good.. Try it.. Smile

naarayanan

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:48 pm

naarayanan wrote:Ignorebthe previous msg.. I just played the song in misram in my mind.. Of course it sounds good.. Try it.. Smile

narayana,
idhu misrama ilaiya.. Rolling Eyes

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  naarayanan Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:20 pm

illa tisram... kaettu romba naalaachu... manasula paadi paarthen.. konjam izhuthu..misram maadhiri irundhadhu. hehe.. Smile

naarayanan

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:49 pm

57. Vaasa Malli Poovu Poovu, Sevvandhi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTzdJXtAaT8

A personal favorite. Was listening now as I do every now and then. Remembered this also falls under Misram. Very excellent melody.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:17 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:57. Vaasa Malli Poovu Poovu, Sevvandhi

nanRi sir!

First time listen for me Embarassed (Uma Ramanan of 1993 sounds somewhat different)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:11 pm

One more rare one.. recalling from memory, not sure if video is available. It is from Yezhumalayan magimai which also had a Telugu version. 2 good songs sung by IR/SJ. There was one song sung by SPB "nanmai nalgum" or so, were the words. Definite 7/8, and in a rare raga as well. will try to see if i can get a link

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:14 pm

surprised that I could find the link easily
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FifdWzhGsbE

a devotional 7/8 from IR

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:27 pm

app_engine wrote:#50 ghanashyAma vrindhAraNyam
(kochu kochu santhOshangaL, 2000 - Kaithapram lyrics / Gayathri Ashokan singer)

great choice for song #50, app. One of my favourite IR MFM songs. He was good in MFM, not just good really special I must say during that phase.
Am a Bhanupriya fan as well. You dont find actresses with that kind of earthy appeal, classical dancing skills these days. Incredible body language and expressive eyes. Shivakara damaruka was another special song. Those days the impending release of IR's  malayalam soundtracks excited me more

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:31 pm

in recent times though I dont listen to all IR soundtracks religiously like I did before this song from un samayil arayil caught my attention because of the singer. a foodie song in 7/8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTie2rmrFhk

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:52 pm

nanRi for the addition, counterpoint!

That way, 'nanmai nalgum Ezhumalai' is #58 of this list Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi app, a suggestion or request to you (and mods). Since you have already put in quite a bit of effort in making threads like these and collecting songs that fit a musical description, would it be possible to put it in an excel database format somewhere here in this forum itself. Maybe a link like "IR songs categorized by musical genres" or sth at top of this site page? can have a permanent section with a link at top of this site. will be good for ever.

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:08 pm

counterpoint wrote:Hi app, a suggestion or request to you (and mods). Since you have already put in quite a bit of effort in making threads like these and collecting songs that fit a musical description, would it be possible to put it in an excel database format somewhere here in this forum itself. Maybe a link like "IR songs categorized by musical genres" or sth at top of this site page? can have a permanent section with a link at top of this site. will be good for ever.

I'll request our tech expert V_Sji respond to this good suggestion Smile
(Most of these lists are in excel with me and if there's provision, they can be hosted within no time)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:20 pm

#59 thagadhOm thAnaththandham marudhANi manjappoosu
(adharmam, 1994)

தகதோம் தானத்தந்தம் மருதாணி மஞ்சப்பூசு 
(இந்திரன் போலே சந்திரன் போலே)

ubayam : raajafm.com Smile

Recently they played this song and the seven beat cycle immediately caught my attention (as usual) Smile

OK song - SPB-SJ + chorus from the "dark ages" time period Embarassed I'm sure most people missed this song, even though another song from that movie was reasonably popular (muththoo maNi muthu maNi)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqLR4n4neIY

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:04 pm

#60 thangaththuraiyE moonAm piRaiyE ArO ArirarO
(kadavuL amaiththa mEdai, 1979)

Another song introduced by raajafm.com during a recent drive Smile

This is a thAlAttu by SPS and hitherto unknown (of course, Anbu sir's spreadsheet lists it and that's how I know which movie the song is from).

One cannot find the song youtube as a standalone (interestingly, tamilwire.com has the MP3).

Here is a link to the movie youtube with the time stamp (click on the link and it takes directly to the misra chApu song) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-31fisRxR4&t=5580s

Simple, sweet thAlAttu Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:20 pm

#61 nooRANdu kAlangaL nee vAzha vENdum
(December pookkaL, 1986)

நூறாண்டு காலங்கள் நீ வாழ வேண்டும்

This is another raajafm ubayam, as usual Smile

I probably listened to this song when #IR_Official_YT had this album as Juke Box sometime back, as I was playing this album from youtube frequently while driving (prior to raajafm days). However, I failed to pay attention to the 7 beat cycle thingy Embarassed

This is a one saraNam song, sweet KSC number that sounds like thAlAttu to me (even though it is a vaLaikAppu kind of situation and the orch morphs it to that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feLV7XKwuQI

The whole december pookkaL juke box is on #IR_Official_YT (of course my top fav is "azhagAga siriththadhu indha nilavu")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6YjHzyQyRc

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:48 am

raajafm.com was playing this "vandhE mAdharam" song today (morning commute to work).

VJ-PJ song from the Sivaji movie ezhudhAdha sattangaL.

It is primarily #IR_Waltz as most portions follow the thakita-thakita 3 beat cycle.

However, there's a small portion (for Kerala) where it switches to thakita-thakadhimi 7 beat cycle Smile 
(starting from 2:15 on the youtube below)

That way, this has a tiny #IR_misrA portion Smile

I won't add this to the count but want to give a "mention" in this thread. 
(Interestingly, there are also portions with regular 4/4 thakadhimi-thakajunu in this song).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLxuCv4T63M

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:38 pm

The recent gift from Navin Mozart sir on youtube, an exotic collection of IR's love themes, has some pieces with the Ezhadi suzharchi Smile

Interestingly, these are not based on ANY song or track from the corresponding album but entirely different pieces Smile 

That way, these are not like the second interlude of "hichki hichki" of the pA movie, where IR plays the movie's main theme music by changing the nadai to 7 beat cycle. 

These are "brand new" pieces.

Please enjoy them when you can spot them (I haven't heard the whole collection but from what I've heard so far, there are two misra nadai pieces - one from AvAram poo & another from nilavu suduvadhillai).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXGDNgM9SF8

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next