Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more

+3
Drunkenmunk
Usha
ravinat
7 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more - Page 2 Empty Re: தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more

Post  app_engine Thu May 19, 2016 9:18 pm

#27 gangaikkarai mannadi
(varusham 16)

Though not as mega a hit as pazhamudhirchchOlai & poo pookkum mAsam songs from this album, this song was reasonably popular at the time of arrival and ever since then (from time to time one can also see this getting butchered in reality shows Embarassed )

While the actual percussion or the interludes do not easily show the misra nadai to a naive listener (i.e. as easily as in the other songs we have cataloged so far, where IR easily showcases either by the rhythm itself or some lead instrument, say keyboard, clearly play thakita-thakadhimi somewhere), if one sings the melody with just the misra pattern - i.e. stripping the lyrics and replacing with thakita-thakadhimi, it can be easily discerned that this is a classical misra nadai number Smile

I've posted more than once that I've not seen this movie but watched only the original (ennennum kaNNEttande, Malayalam, music not IR but directed by Fazil only). 

My Palakkad collegue (who was also college classmate) saw both and was cursing himself for watching this horrible remake.

Well, regardless of how the movie was, music was far superior. (Of course, the MF album was good too - with that delectable dEva dundhubi, but IR's output was far innovative / superior / phenomenal).

Not a great quality youtube (both picture and audio are bad) - just for record :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAq7bhx5M1A

Last edited by app_engine on Fri May 05, 2017 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more - Page 2 Empty Re: தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more

Post  app_engine Thu May 19, 2016 9:36 pm

Jayachandran (MD who got NA this year) and Unnikrishnan commenting on 'thOdi' rAgam in a show where the girl sings this song reasonably well :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP7E59tbNls

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri May 20, 2016 7:10 pm

#28 veN mEgam viNNil ninRu
(nAn sigappu manidhan)

Possibly the first Rajini song in this misra chApu collection.

Never realized before that it had a special thALam / nadai Embarassed  
This is my post on this sweet SPB number in the IR-SPB hub thread :  
veN mEgam on that nostology threaddu

The nadai is obvious and simply demonstrated by percussion itself Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkxbtqacxOA

Like I mentioned in the SPB-IR thread, this was the time when same day will have many releases with IR's music.

Terrific albums + super hit movies! Sweet nostalgia!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Fri May 20, 2016 9:04 pm

There are many.

a rare sensual one from kalyaanaraman, ninaithal inikkum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoinLR4nq7o

some more:

nadhiyil aadum poovanam from kaadhal oviyam

en kalyaana from ilamai oonjaladugiradhu

and thendral kaatre from the under-rated kumbakakkarai thangaiah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OACf-Dw5zFU

the trickiest and ingenuous usage of this pattern IMO is by MSV in therottam from Noolveli. Till now have had a tough time keeping beats to this song, like a revolving jigsaw puzzle. I believe SPB himself commented about having a challenging time with this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0XetBorpMg

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri May 20, 2016 9:50 pm

counterpoint,

Please keep them coming Smile

BTW, ninaiththAl inikkum / nadhiyil Adum & en kalyANa vaibOgam have already been covered in this thread as #22, #17 and #12 in the previous page.

'thenRal kAtRE thenRal kAtRE' is in my pending list to be posted.

I'm trying to collect the non-IR misra nadai numbers in the "Music Miscellany" section in this thread :

https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t260-non-ir-misra-chapu-7-beat-cycle-songs-in-tfm

Will listen to the noolvEli song and catalog it in that thread ASAP Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sat May 21, 2016 10:30 am

app,
vazhakam pol.. romba azhagana thread.. Because of U..... Clean and Neat........ ivaigal dhan edhirkalathil iruka pogum satshigal.......... IRin Greatness kaga.....

Thalam.. swaram.. rendum.. romba kashtam.... thelivaga therindhu kolla.....

Waiting for ur listings.........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun May 22, 2016 4:38 am

nanRi Usha akkA for the kind words!

I have another 16 songs to post, so 28+16 = 44 known ones already Smile

Prolificity, thy name is Ilayaraja!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun May 22, 2016 4:59 am

#29 kaNNAlE kAdhal kavidhai
(AthmA)

What a lovely song in the voices of SJ & KJY!

First time watching the video & surprised to see that Ramki had the opportunity to romance Gautami on screen Smile

Right from the prelude, it is direct and easy to count the "thakita - thakadhimi" ; it also helps that the song is a relatively "slow" number!

Sweet number to enrich the weekend night! I have heard this song almost exclusively in buses only (prior to internet era).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6HlZmE0e3o

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon May 23, 2016 4:59 am

#30 iLa nenjE vA
(vaNNa vaNNappookkaL)

Didn't have much (rather any) idea about this BM movie, other than hearing the songs on buses those days and on drives post-internet!

Lovely KJY number with complex rhythm arrangements & the unmistakable misra chApu Smile

Shocked to see Prashanth on the youtube - what a big gift to this fellow!

இப்படி எத்தனை அற்புதங்களைப் போற போக்கில் போட்டுட்டுப் போயிருக்கார் ராசா! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVSXSxji8Q

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon May 23, 2016 5:08 pm

#31 thenRal kAtRE thenRal kAtRE
(kumbakkarai thangaiyA)

This song is "IR Folk-V2" model in general! 
(BTW, this folk v2 terminology is from old hub discussions, where a simplified version of IR folk that emerged in later part of 80's, especially for Ramarajan kind of movies got called IR Folk V2. In these songs, the heavy WCM elements present in the 70's and early 80's folk got simplified a lot IMHO with more emphasis given for lead melody).

Except that he switched to the misra chApu in the nadai thus making it even more ICM-leaning  Smile

Prabhu-Kanaga on screen in an obscure movie (with a not-so-appealng-movie-title Embarassed )

SJ enhances the hard work of IR in making he song a classic, in spite of Mano Embarassed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OACf-Dw5zFU

Somehwat better quality audio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOCsmvewWOg

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  ravinat Mon May 23, 2016 11:23 pm

app_engine wrote:#29 kaNNAlE kAdhal kavidhai
(AthmA)

What a lovely song in the voices of SJ & KJY!

First time watching the video & surprised to see that Ramki had the opportunity to romance Gautami on screen Smile

Right from the prelude, it is direct and easy to count the "thakita - thakadhimi" ; it also helps that the song is a relatively "slow" number!

Sweet number to enrich the weekend night! I have heard this song almost exclusively in buses only (prior to internet era).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6HlZmE0e3o

Listen to the song closely between 2:24 and 2:26 in the first charanam and 3:38 to 3:40 in the second charanam. Raja will switch the percussion instrument from tabla to drums just for these 4 seconds and you can hear the rush of the beats and I now know why. He has to still keep the 7-beat cycle though he does one crazy experiment of switching the percussion for those 4 seconds. This is like changing the tires of a race car at the pit stop and keep it running to ensure it meets its speed requirements.

Thanks for posting this app. I always wondered why there is such a rush and now I understand. Every day, you learn something new with Raja.

ravinat

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 24, 2016 5:43 am

ravinat wrote:
Thanks for posting this app. I always wondered why there is such a rush and now I understand. Every day, you learn something new with Raja.

You're welcome sir!

I think IR is particular about the "tightness" of kAlapramANam. Unless the situation warrants, he does not leave it easily IMHO.

Excellent illustration of race car Smile

applause

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  ravinat Tue May 24, 2016 5:02 pm

app_engine wrote:
ravinat wrote:

You're welcome sir!

I think IR is particular about the "tightness" of kAlapramANam. Unless the situation warrants, he does not leave it easily IMHO.

Excellent illustration of race car Smile

applause

I can imagine the number of retakes for those two 2-sec 7-beat experiment in this track. If it was live recording, this can frustrate the entire team with these retakes as the singers will need to sing the entire charanam again. If this was live recording, my appreciation for the Raja team will multiply several times. If it was not (mostly, I think, by 1993, separate tracks for orchestra and vocals were used), it is the right use of technology.  This is not to say that you can skip the retakes. However, the vocals are not dependent on it as Yesudas and Janaki fully understand how to sing to a taalam. These kind of experiments will be much harder with live recording. I would infer that technology is used to enhance the art form here.

However, if anybody brings this to Raja's attention, he would say, listen to Ghanashyama Vrundhyaranyam from Kochu Kochu Sandhoshangal where he keeps the exact kaala pramanam but keeps switching between the tabla and the drums as the visuals switch between both the dancers - this is piece of cake!

Last edited by ravinat on Sun May 29, 2016 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total

ravinat

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 24, 2016 6:21 pm

#32 manjaL poosum manjaL poosum
(sakkarai thEvan)

I don't remember having a chance to listen to this album at the time of arrival. Not on a cassette or during my travels to / from TN in buses.

That way, I can't say if this song was a hit in TN or not (considering it was in 1993, it could have met with either of the results...I see Vijayakanth / Suganya on the video, possibly a follow-up after chinna gounder, don't know how the movie fared also).

However, in the recent years, I've listened to this song a lot of times (got it in some IR hits MP3 collection from somewhere and the song is in the van's HDD) Smile

Terrific song - especially SJ simply melts one!

Of course, misra nadai - thus deserving its place in this thread Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYCqGD11Lzc

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed May 25, 2016 10:22 pm

#33 vayyAri gOdhArammA
(prEminchu pellAdu)

What a sweet song - my most fav combo of IR-SJ-SPB! 

I got introduced to this song only via Usha akkA's post in this thread  - well, re-post of Narayanan, so nanRi iruvarukkum!

It may be a good thing that all my searches to find the video of this song proved futile Laughing 

They say it is Vamsy / Bhanupriya etc and still no youtube is surprising - may be copyright adi dhadi removed any that existed...
(I can't believe this was so obscure, should have been hot in 1985 - well, there are no other video's from this movie on youtube also)

So, here it is - just the audio of a sweet misra chApu IR number in sundharaththelungu :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3PoBNexENY

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 26, 2016 6:58 pm

#34 ee janumavE / indha poRappuththAn / ee janmamE
(oggarane / un samaiyal aRaiyil / ulavacharu biriyANi)

Technically 3 tracks / numbers but counted one for the purpose of this thread Smile

In the interesting voice of Kailash, IR had delivered this sweet number in recent times for the Prakash Raj directed tri-lingual. (As admitted in the wiki page, the movie did well only in Kannada and failed in the other two). 

Very enjoyable misra nadai number!

I believe the visuals are different for each language version, please check below as all the three links are included :

ee janumavE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UldJ9AnalEY

indha poRappuththAn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTie2rmrFhk

ee janmamE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH0ea2k1lug

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Fri May 27, 2016 1:59 pm

Not sure if the following have been covered yet, if so pl ignore:

aayiram malargale malarungaL

en jeevan paadudhu- needhana andha kuyil

iLanenje vaa -vanna vanna pookkal

ganashyaama -kochu kochu santhoshangaL

oranjaaram ushaarayya - kaakkai siraginiley

yaarai kettu neerdhaan- en uyir kannamma

pon vaanam panneer- must have been covered already, if not  a big miss!

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri May 27, 2016 4:56 pm

counterpoint,

Covered already : Ayiram (as #11), en jeevan (as #13 ), iLa nenjE vA ( as #30 ), pon vAnam (as #3 ) 

In pipeline : OranjAram & yAraikkEttu nee dhAn

New one from your post : The KKS song, I need to listen to it again Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri May 27, 2016 6:56 pm

#35 EdhO pAttu EdhO rAgam
(kizhakkE pOgum rayil)

Relatively less-known song from that super hit 2nd movie of Bharathi Raja (I remember seeing the 300th day ad's on dina thanthi those days).

I'm not sure if this song was on disk - don't remember hearing it on radio those days. (This one is played often on raajafm.com these days).

IR's voice has that pathos even in younger days - BGM kind of short song (possibly inserted during re-recording, also possibly for film field sentiments because of 'chOLam vedhakkaiyilE' success Laughing )

The interlude is, as always, TERRIFIC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhf53bCtB6w

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 31, 2016 5:15 pm

#36 kAnakkarunguyilE
(pANdiththurai)

Both singers stress the first syllable as 'kAna' and not 'gAna', possibly they wanted to stress that it is forest (and not song) Wink  Or, it could be to stress that the situation is for nAdam people who typically pronounce g as k only.

Either way, very sweet song in the voices of SPB / Swarnalatha and another "heard-in-buses-only" kind of song in the pre-net era. I had to google around to find that this came out in the year 1992 Wink  

Famous Prabhu-Kushbu pair Wink 

Sweet song and the misra nadai is unmistakable, right from the prelude!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=louBm1tC5iA

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 31, 2016 5:59 pm

Identified two more #IR_misrA songs this AM and the file count as of today is #48 Smile

So, it looks like the "latchiyam" of identifying and posting 50 does not seem unreachable now. 

There are bound to be many in other language albums where we have seen only the tip of the iceberg...I wonder if we dig thru all those + TFM obscure albums, it could even number 100 Embarassed

Interestingly, these are for all kinds of situations / shades / emotions! IR is the king of rhythm in the real sense!

Another interesting thing I found about the album sakkarai thEvan, from which we've featured 'manjaL poosum' song, is that this is a case of both misra chApu and kanda chApu songs in the same album. Quite rare, even for IR Smile
(I heard that thaka-thakita song "thaNNeerkkudam koNdu thaniyAga" in the voice of SJ. Not a fav. but has this unique distinction).

While on kaNdam (thaka-thakita, 5 beat cycle structure), there are all kinds of songs / emotions / variety once again!

azhagu malarAda (typical rudhra thANdavam style beats but the emotions are far different)

kalyANa mAlai koNdAdum peNNE (singer's life has family problems Laughing )

mazhai varudhu mazhai varudhu kudai koNdu vA (soft / sweet modern romance)

adhikAlai nilavE alangArachchudarE (uRudhi mozhi song, classical love)

Well, don't want to start another long listing exercise Smile

Of course, this should not be surprising to IRFs but people who often try to beat us up that we're praising him "too much" should seriously calibrate their attitudes / viewpoints to align with true facts...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:32 pm

#37 anbE vA arugilE
(kiLippEchchu kEtka vA)

Another misra chApu song for director Fazil Smile  Also, another song that I heard only on buses at the time of its arrival Embarassed  That way, I think the album's songs had a decent reach to the public. (Even though not at the levels of previous albums that IR did for Fazil, IMHO). Overall, it's interesting to see that >90% of the #IR_misrA songs that got featured so far were either hits or super hits!

There are both SJ & KJY versions on youtube (and a couple of comments under the Rajsmed upload are quite interesting).

Let me give both of them here:

SJ version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpg1IeUCMvs

KJY Version :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ey-mGupeAg

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:26 pm

#38 nAL thOrum endhan kaNNil
(dEvadhai, 1997)

Well, this is a "new" song hitherto unknown to me (i.e. until this misra chApu exercise started).

As discussed in the previous page, this song got hosted by Swaminathan in soundcloud along with those nice comments / 25 song list by him on #IR_misrA.

The movie's director was Nassar and I'm familiar with couple other songs from this album (deepangaL pEsum & oru nAl andha oru nAL). 

IR sings this duet with Kavitha Krishnamurthy of Bollywood. (Whom our B(K) jocularly attributes to having a "permanently jaladhOsham" voice Laughing )

The audio quality is not great on this youtube but it has Vineet on screen :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_GDT047x3w

For better quality audio, please check this Kanaprabha upload:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRTSL6gmIpg

Anbu sir's spreadsheet says the audio got released by T Series.  This song is one of the few "high-speed-misra-chApu" songs Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:12 pm

Unrelated to this thread (hence apologies) but when I see time tested mafia not having heard songs I earworm often, it feels good Razz

My upload version too here:

Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:14 pm

#39 thAzhvAram maNpoovE
(jackpot, Malayalam, 1993)

A couple of days back I tweeted about a song 'AgAyam bhoolOgam' that was found in the disk 2 of IR-1000 function. 

It is listed there as 'nAn sonnadhE sattam' Embarassed  I know about that album with two delectable SPB songs (oru dEvadhai vandhadhu / adhikAlai nEram kanavil unnaippArththEn, both duets with Asha B) and was surprised as to how I missed this misra nadai song.

Anyways, found out now the correct info (that it is not from that album but from Thamizh dubbing of Mammootty's superhit film Jackpot).

So, featuring the original here, in the voices of MFM's most celebrated pair (KJY / KSC). KJY is not in his best here, ageing started to show, but the melody itself is so good that one gets melted! The misra is of course icing on the cake!

This video youtube does not have the full song (+ audio is poor) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8jACHKAI0o

To listen to the complete song in decent audio quality, please go here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTts10_2Cog

I've definitely heard this song before (i.e. Palakkad days) but didn't connect it with IR / didn't even know that IR-Mammootty pair had a super hit movie at that time Embarassed

Well, another of the countless discoveries in the IR-world Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next