Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more

+3
Drunkenmunk
Usha
ravinat
7 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more Empty தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more

Post  app_engine Mon May 09, 2016 6:34 pm

தகிட  தகதிமி 
(tha-ki-ta-tha-ka-dhi-mi)

த - tha -1
கி - ki  - 2
ட - ta - 3
த - tha - 4
க - ka - 5
தி - dhi - 6 
மி - mi - 7

IR had many hits (and non-hits too Embarassed as I'm finding out from songs that get played in raajafm.com) in the misra chapu thALam that gets explained as above, the format that gets repeated if one measures along the melody.

There is a primer on this from youtube, which helps one in understanding this cycle (which we can then apply on IR songs and find out all those that match the pattern) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ha88ySplbQ

Last edited by app_engine on Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:15 pm; edited 53 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more Empty Re: தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more

Post  Drunkenmunk Mon May 09, 2016 8:58 pm

Had archived a few Raaja songs in Misram, Khandam, etc. adhulErndhu eduthu vudarEn.

1. Kalidasan Kannadasan, Soorakottai Singakutty:

2. Isaiyil Thodangudhamma, Hey Ram:

idhula oru chinna siththu vElai irukku Smile 

This part: https://t.co/bb3M6Miu80

Note how the rhythm sounds faster in the interlude and slower when Ajoy sings it. There is no change in the main Misram pattern. It is 7/8 only. In the interlude, he plays Misram in mEl kAlam; i.e. 14 beats in a bar of 8: ThaKaDhiMi ThaKa ThaKaDhiMi ThaKaDhiMi (4+2+4+4=14). Charanam la it reverts to ThaKiTaThaKaDhMi based 7/8. Already a monster of a song in terms of melody+orch.+picturization+overall film. On top of that, rhythm masterclass too. One of the greatest songs ever composed! thuNdu info: Song was not part of the original screenplay. It was a Raaja suggestion to an already picturized montage. Basically composition+lyrics+song placement (partly the scriptwriter in a sense) --> Raaja only.

3. Another masterpiece. Ponvaanam Panneer Thoovudhu Inneram, Indru Nee Naalai Naan:

Proper Misram, but idhulayum oru siththu vElai irukku Smile

Pallavi's first line la Misram pattern repeats 4 times if I'm right, with piano giving the ThaKiTaThaKaDhiMi rhythm pattern clearly. 28 beats total. The bass cuts in every 2 beats making 14 thundu pieces of 2 beats each within the overall Misram pattern of 7/8! This is outside a scorcher of a melody in Gowrimanohari, SJ in her greatest form and top notch orchestration where the Mridangam and Tabla alternate in the charanam without so much of an announcing from the rooftops but it all happens just like that. So many musical ideas packed into 1 song. Genius!

4. Om Namaha, Geethanjali. Misram to the pattern of heart beats!

5. Manasu Mayangum, Chippikkul Muthu:

The ThaKiTaThaKaDhiMi stamp is unmissable here.

6. Pottu Vaitha Oru Vatta Nila, Idhayam:

Watch the anklets of the heroine as the hero sings the first line. It taps ThakiTaThaKaDhiMi. Misram for dummies! Smile

7. Kai Veenaiyai, Vietnam Colony:

Classic Misra Chaapu. Classic Hamir Kalyani.

8. Pradeeptha Rathnojwala, Swappnam:

As late as 2015. Mridangam+Pakhawaj playing Sankeernam+Misram. 9+7=16 beats in all. Megh+Kaapi. Ardhanareeshwara Ashtakam. Shiva+Parvathi. Read what you want into this Smile Polyrhythm with Misram forming one part.

இப்போதிக்கு இதான் ஞாபகம் இருக்கு. அப்பறம் ஏதாது கண்டெடுத்தா திரும்ப வரேன்.

But you see how each song is inventive in its own way. These 8 songs can well be a textbook guide into exploring the various shades of Misram within the commercial limitations of a medium like cinema. What Guitar Prasanna said; "cinema is a medium of popular entertainment just the same way pop music is in the west. That DOES NOT however mean that it CANNOT be artistic. I think readers will get this 'distinction' I am making. It's just that its scope and purpose is a little different. Raaja has transcended the idiom and brought elements of 'higher art' into it while still maintaining the 'immediate appeal' that characterizes (and should characterize) a mass medium like film music."

Every page of musicality in Raaja's lexicon (rhythm, melody, raga, WCM, western internalization, etc. etc.) will fit this definition. This is one of the innumerable many such instances.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more Empty Re: தாள லய ராசா - ஏழடி சுழற்சியில் அமைந்த பாடல்கள் (misra chApu rAjA) - 64 (muthu thErE thErE) posted & waiting for more

Post  app_engine Mon May 09, 2016 10:00 pm

Excellent post, DM!

அடிச்சுக் கலக்கீட்டீங்க!

Going by the songs getting played in raajafm.com, we should easily get around 50 songs in this thread Smile

Thanks to that #IR_Waltz thread, nowadays I'm often doing the "beat counting" - even doing thakita / thakadhimi etc with my fingers on steering wheel Laughing

Well, let me keep adding whatever song comes to mind or listen to on a given day Smile

For today, this song that I often talk about in this context (and also a big fav. for many years! What's more, it's IR-SJ-SPB Smile )

#9 meeNdum meeNdum vA
(Vikram)

This song is more than that primer to teach anyone of the 7 beat cycle IMHO. However, the array of percussion / rhythm instruments that IR deployed for this song (as in many of his hot compositions) is mind boggling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq8VBJUdi0I

Last edited by app_engine on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  ravinat Mon May 09, 2016 10:15 pm

#10 - Kaathirunthaen thaniye (Rasa Magan)

Raja will ensure that even the interludes follow the 7 beat cycle...

ravinat

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue May 10, 2016 10:37 am

old post from tfmapge.. from Narayanan

12th December 2008, 09:22 PM
misra chapu

• manasu mayangum - sippikul muthu
  • pon vanam - inru nee nalai naan
  • kalidasan - soorakoatai singa kutti
  • ayiram malargale - niram maradha pookal
  • meendum meendum - vikram
  • vayyari godharamma - preminchi pelladu (telugu)
  • om namaha - idhayathai thirudadhey ,geetanjali (telugu)
  • en jeevan paduthu -
  • anbe vaa arugile - kili paechu kaetka vaa
  • isaiyil thodangudhamma - heyram
  • nadhiyil aadum poovanam - kadhal oviyam
  • ila nenje vaa - vanna vanna pookal
  • kannale kaadhal kavidhai - aatma
  • pottu vaitha - idhayam

the list continues.......

Narayanan .. innum enna pattu iruku... solla mudiyuma........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 10, 2016 4:23 pm

Usha chEchi,

To preserve this thread's numbering, I've edited your post to change the numbers into bullets Smile Hope you don't mind Smile

Also, I'll be getting those from your post - that are not already listed - and include / cover in this thread.

That way, we'll have this thread not only as "one-stop-shop" for all #IR_misrA but also a reasonably accurate count of all such numbers that rAsA has done so far.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 10, 2016 4:41 pm

Also started a "non-IR-misrA" thread in the Music Miscellany forum, to capture such songs done by other MDs in TFM :

https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t260-non-ir-misra-chapu-7-beat-cycle-songs-in-tfm

Please feel free to post the non-IR Ezhadi numbers there Smile
(I've put my kerchief with the ammAdi ammAdi Shreya Ghoshal song already)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 10, 2016 5:09 pm

I've also identified that Jency / SPS / MV song to be in this thALam when covering the 28 Jency songs recently.

So, this song from Usha chEchi's post in the next in this thread :

#11 Ayiram malargaLE malarungaL
(niRam mARAdha pookkaL)

The complete lyrics are in the Jency thread here, please apply the thakita-thakadhimi to each of them and find how nicely they fit Smile
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t254-all-28-songs-that-jency-has-sung-for-ir-28-kadhal-oviyam-padum-kaviyam-all-songs-done#21684

Please apply this beat counting thingy to each of the following words in the song and see how IR is laya rAjA :

ஆயிரம் 
மலர்களே 
மலருங்கள் - ள் extended, so 2X the 7 beat cycle
அமுதகீதம் 
பாடுங்கள் 
பாடுங்கள் 
காதல் தேவன் 
காவியம் 

He maintains the tightness / kAlapramANam thru out, right from prelude to the end Smile  (Of course, he also plays the thakita-thakadhimi in other instruments like keyboard / guitar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VjTqg2JaZM

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 10, 2016 5:24 pm

Likewise, while listing the VJ songs in the corresponding thread, I've identified the song IR composed for Director Sridhar for AUA to be in Ezhadi suzharchi.

The tablA arrangement is very similar to the one for the saraNam portion of Ayiram malargaLE song :

#12 en kalyANa vaibOgam unnOdu thAn
(azhagE unnai ArAdhikkiREn)

This one is quite similar, the first interlude plays this thALam in flute and other instruments, actually the interlude is somewhat similar to the glorious extraordinary interlude before the third charaNam of Ayiram malargalE... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYnOZ6ELxkg

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed May 11, 2016 12:08 am

#13 en jeevan pAduthu unnaiththAn thEdudhu
(nee thAnA andhakkuyil)

This whole song quite explicitly plays the 7 beat cycle - udukkai adi!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdZ_QFUbnoU

For better quality audio, please check this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyOfT4eMTlw

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 12, 2016 12:26 am

I've mentioned about these two exquisite numbers in the #IR_Waltz thread also as misram from special albums, now documenting here as a "one-stop-shop-collection".

Two extraordinary compositions from two phenomenal albums! (guru-Malayalam & NEPV)

#14 aruNa kiraNa
(Guru - Mal)

When the low frequency strings follow this nadai in the prelude (which gets repeated later in interludes too), goose bumps!
(I can't help but visualize IR standing and conducting with his hands moving in the 'tha-ki-ta-tha-ka-dhi-mi' movements, whole body shaking and shivering)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SSHkC9v48U

#15 kAtRaikkonjam niRkachchonnEn
(nee thAnE en ponvasantham)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfiGXEr-VmY

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 12, 2016 5:58 am

#16 hichki hichki
(pA)

Sunithi Chauhan is way different in this song (compared to mudhal muRai pArtha gnAbagam).

Well, another worthy addition to our 7 beat cycle list Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th7Nbf2mH6M

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 12, 2016 9:38 pm

#17 nadhiyil Adum poovanam
(kAdhal Oviyam)

Sweet SJ-SPB duet in that BR flop movie...what an album that is! 

I'm surprised there is no juke box for this terrific album in the #IR_Official_YT channel Embarassed

While the song is a misra nadai beauty, I'm not sure what are all the variations in the second "interlude" where SPB does swarAs and the jathi business keeps transforming around (not savvy enough Embarassed )

Enjoy the song anyways!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUdiL4G0e1Y

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 12, 2016 11:15 pm

#18 chenkathir kayyum veeshi
(snEha veedu, Malayalam)

As quoted in the #IR_Waltz thread, this song got explained by SKV Rajiv & V_Sji in a hub thread as to the math trickery in the prelude (one gets misled that it is chathusram - 4/4 nadai but it is actually misram and that 7 beat cycle thingy becomes very clear when KSC starts singing the pallavi. From then on there is no confusion as to the thakita-thakadhimi).

So, adding it here to the collection Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cznD5Gf1Tpg

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri May 13, 2016 7:22 pm

Venkkiram sir has posted a twitlonger on IR's misra gathi Smile  I'll be posting any delta (of #IR_misrA samples) from that post (or the follow-up tweets) Smile

For this post, a couple of melodious & sweet numbers (where IR also plays around with one's emotions by his melody / orch)!

#19 pOttEnE poo vilangu
(poo vilangu, Murali's debut)

I've earlier covered this in the VM thread , including an expression of shock on the first line of first saraNam Embarassed

Beautiful misra nadai, which is maintained in the interludes too (and the second interlude is so clearly "rhythmatic")!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkEQaf85DO4

#20 veeNaikku veeNaikkunju
(ellAmE en rAsA dhAN, the Raj Hiran hit of 1995 with a song sung by Vadivel Laughing )

The "thakita-thakadhimi" is so easily manifesting in this number as well Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb_pAsCmzXU

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri May 13, 2016 7:49 pm

ஐம்பது லட்சியம், முப்பது நிச்சயம் Laughing
(ஏற்கனவே 20 பதிச்சாச்சு, இன்னும் 12 கை வசம் கிடைச்சாச்சு)

மக்களே, நினைவுக்கு வருவதை எல்லாம் இங்கே கொட்டுங்கள். 

ஏற்கனவே சொல்லப்பட்டிருந்தாலும் பரவாயில்லை. 

எண்ணிக்கை சரிபார்ப்பு வேலை ஒன்றும் பிரமாதமில்லை. 
(எக்ஸெல் இருக்க பயமேன்?)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun May 15, 2016 6:13 am

The top link that comes up on google if one types "Ilayaraja misrachApu" is this soundcloud post by V Swaminathan :

https://soundcloud.com/maestroilaiyaraajathegodofmusic/duet-with-fast-beats-in-mishra

applause

Excellent post and there are some songs that are neither covered here nor in my "pipeline" Smile

Well, I'm happy to grab them Smile Will present here one by one!

This comment in that soundcloud is interesting and noteworthy :

V Swaminathan wrote:
Almost every Indian Film music composer has either used the 4 beats or occasionally used the 3 beats cycle. It is Ilayaraja sir who stands alone and very tall in using the 7 beat cycle (Mishra Chapu) by composing the maximum number of songs than any other composer in the world.

applause

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon May 16, 2016 5:40 pm

#21 magizham poovE
(pudhiya adimaigaL)

Got reminded of this song during the weekend when there was some twitter conversation between some fellow IRFs (getting / giving more #IR_misrA numbers) Smile

This song used to be frequently played in the IOKS when the disk came out and could be recalled by most people who were radio listeners in the early 80's. Well, the movie never got released and the song didn't get its due in TN radio or at other places.

I'm surprised that there are 3 youtubes for this song! Unmistakably "misra chApu" of course Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwcklo6ToSM

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon May 16, 2016 5:56 pm

#22 ninaiththAl inikkum
(kalyANarAman)

Sweet SJ number, one more misra nadai song from "those days" Laughing 

nanRi Swaminathan sir, for reminding this sweet number (on the soundcloud post that got referred above)!

Personally, I think IR (and may be KH also) had this song in mind when working on 'meeNdum meeNdum vA' for Vikram. 
(Especially the SJ's "yearning" portion towards the end of the saraNam, that perhaps showed itself up in the saraNam ending of the Vikram song Embarassed )

Fantastic song, frequently heard on radio those days (though not as popular as the other songs of the album - AhA vandhuruchchu was mega hit number and malargaLil Adum iLamai pudhumaiyE  - SPS - was perhaps the more popular female solo from this album)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAXuGn3F934

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon May 16, 2016 6:22 pm

The next song that I planned to post got referred to by Baradwaj Rangan in this blog post :

https://baradwajrangan.wordpress.com/2012/06/16/i-call-it-the-raja-genre/

No, it is not the one that Swaminathan sir has posted in his sound cloud, but the other one. The SJ / MV number Wink

(Until I post the song tomorrow, please feel free to read the above BR's post & comments - that came out prior to the release of NEPV album) Embarassed

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 17, 2016 5:10 pm

I'm not sure if anyone revisited the BR blog Wink

In any case, as mentioned in my post, here is the SJ-MV song from a special album (IMO) :

#23 kaNgaL reNdum sandham solla
(unakkAgavE vAzhgiREn)

The album has the special 'kaNNA unaiththEdugiREn vA' song, one of my all-time-top-fav songs, of course IR-SJ-SPB Smile

This particular video is quite funny as well as interesting (funny for the dance movements of course but interesting because the director / choreographer had tried to bring as much as possible the "misra nadai" in the picturization).

Nice song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqxJvf6EcRY

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 17, 2016 5:28 pm

#24 chellappiLLai saravaNan
(peN jenmam)

Chronologically, this one got to be the first #IR_misrA in TFM (from the year 1977 and I don't think there was any in 1976 releases).

A sweet PS-KJY number!

Interestingly, this is one of those songs that I used to classify under "IR songs that are MSV-ish" Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

To add to the fun, 'en kalyANa vaibOgam' was another in the same category in my books. 

Only now I'm seeing the irony Laughing
(Please refer the non-IR-misrA thread in the other forum, it appears there are not many MSV misra nadai numbers at all. So many misra chapu numbers in TFM is yet anotherf IR-phenomenon. In fact, Swaminathan sir asserts in that soundcloud post that IR stands tall among all in the world in this particular aspect).

Well, have the pleasure of listening to IR's FIRST misra chApu song in TFM :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGevMUI6t0A

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 17, 2016 6:09 pm

#25 pAttAlE budhdhi sonnAr
(karagAttakkAran)

For such specialty stuff series, even #25 is a landmark and thus this evergreen super hit in this post Wink

Besides being a misra chApu, this song is special for few other reasons :

1. Every other song in this album is a thakita-thakita ("#IR_Waltz") number. There are eight of them! The album has no 4/4 at all. Shocked So, a 7-beat-cycle number in such an album is extra special! I think for the karagam theme, they wanted to keep exclusively thakita-thakita and avoided the popular thakadhimi-thakajunu. 

This number got exception perhaps because of IR Wink

2. "Completely" IR song (composed / wrote lyrics & sung - why, even acted on screen)

3. Both song and movie "vegu jana" hit (many other on-screen appearances of IR were not in such hit movies. for e.g. nizhalgaL was a terrible flop. BTW, we can see some of IR's instrumentalists too  - Napoleon / Sadha among others).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njvZUKFYcmI

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed May 18, 2016 4:56 pm

As it stands today, I don't expect the overall count to hit 3 digit number. Even then, this is phenomenal that IR made use of this structure so extensively!

We can probably say ~1% of IR's songs had misra chApu Smile  

(With the overall unique song count around 5000 so far, i.e. removing duplicates for sugam / sOgam, multilinguals , recycles etc., the #IR_misrA count of around 50 should make it one in hundred Smile )

Well, I already have 44 songs in my spreadsheet, even though only 25 have been posted so far in this thread.

With the number not too big, I see no need to rush posting all of them within a few days and close the discussion Embarassed 

So, I plan to post only one song per day for the remaining numbers.

Meanwhile, please feel free to post any number that you can recall / enjoy (regardless of whether it had been posted or not).

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed May 18, 2016 7:42 pm

#26 ArArO pAttuppAda nAnum thAyillai
(poNdAtti thEvai)

What a sweet song, in the voice of KSC (Arun Mozhi / Napoleon comes in the later part of the song)!

This got played in raajafm.com this morning and that's how I got reminded that another song exists in misram. As this song happens to be a personal favorite, didn't wait to post Smile

When the saraNam comes, I used to get reminded of another big fav. that got documented in the #IR_Waltz thread, 'poongAviyam / AlApanam' TFM/MFM song in the terrific voices of KJY/PS/KSC. 

In the IR world of "permutation and combination of 7 notes to make tons of songs", such interesting things are possible Smile  Where the melody gets somewhat closer but IR does each in a different thALa nadai and gives that distinct color change Laughing

Both are emotionally very enjoyable songs!

Here's the #IR_misrA for R.Parthiban:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoZU_NSGxnE

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next