Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IR's waltz hits

+8
counterpoint
mythila
app_engine
ravinat
V_S
Usha
crimson king
Drunkenmunk
12 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

IR's waltz hits - Page 6 Empty Re: IR's waltz hits

Post  app_engine Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:24 pm

Had been listening to raajafm.com during ALL the drives in the past 10 days and had terrible experience mostly!

Means, even for a long-time-IR-admirer like me, they manage to play almost 70% unknown songs!  And many of them with not-good sound quality, making the experience even more unsakikkable!

Embarassed Embarassed 

Well, I don't know if this "jinjilArO" number sung by SJ for a movie called "thAi mozhi" was a hit in TN at its time or not, but I had been made to listen to this song 3-4 times within a week Shocked

Documenting here that song for three reasons :

1. Waltz, obviously

2. Though I don't like it much, it manages to keep playing in my mind non-stop Sad I'm not able to chase it away Laughing

3. Evaluating without my bias, I think this one should be palatable to jazz lovers in general and my mind gets directed to 'kAlam kAlamAga vAzhum' song on each occasion this "jinjilArO" song plays in mind!

I couldn't find the song alone on youtube but if someone wants to WATCH this song (featuring silukku), please go here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BI9enAD20g&t=6530s

To listen to the song in decent quality, there's an audio / MP3 link:
http://download.tamiltunes.com/songs/__P_T_By_Movies/Thai%20Mozhi/Gingila%20Gingila%20-%20TamilWire.com.mp3

Here's is the distant relative from punnagai mannan, which we're very familiar with and a huge hit (and of course, the third tisra nadai song in that album - besides enna saththam indha nEram and vAn mEgham):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffm1GHEHXzg

("முள்ளை  யார் அள்ளிப்போட்டாலும்" - what a violent thought in a sweet love duet - of course by the VanMuRaikkavignar! 
Why would anyone even think of taking muL and throwing at another? Laughing )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:12 pm

Two more Kamal specials that I happened to hear in recent times on raajafm.com need mention in this thread Smile

The first song is what I would call "தங்கு தடையின்றி ஓடும் நீரோடை" - what a flow, right from the moment the tablA-guitar combo rhythm starts! 

So smooth , mellifluous and thanks to tablA-tisram, it is "running" / racy!

muththam pOdhAdhE (enakkuL oruvan)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elhsWBmIL_4

engE en jeevanE (uyarndha uLLam) got played this AM during drive to work - and what a sweet waltz this one is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBx_zU15SgI

ஆயிரம் முறை கேட்டாலும் அலுப்போ சலிப்போ தோன்றாத பாடல்கள்!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:30 pm

On those two albums (enakkuL oruvan & uyarndha uLLam), it is interesting to note that there is ONE EACH of PS number that is tisram Smile

enakkuL oruvan - thEr koNdu senRavan
(I've written a lot about this song in the PS thread)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPEcdm6lmoc

uyarndha uLLam - kAlaiththenRal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8fFuyqEx0E

BTW, another oRRumai between both these movies - both were flops Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:27 pm

After hearing one particular song on raajafm.com a number of times in the past few weeks, I can't help but post about it here Embarassed

It's a classic "jazz waltz" number that should fit into the group that Vicky defined in his article / youtube.

Interestingly, it employs "tablA waltz" in the saraNam. However, towards the end of the saraNam, IR employs some twist and introduces a few more taps on the drums - ammA how sweet it becomes!

Let me place the "song only youtube" here, for those who wish to enjoy this sweet number :

vAlaipparuvaththilE from kaNNE rAdhA, PS & SPS - a rare combination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TilwjuDSSHs

For those who have the urge to watch the video, please go here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxf-haAZY9g

Sorry, I don't want to embed the video here as it was kind of shocking to me when I searched for and watched last night Embarassed Embarassed
(It is Radha and Vanitha taking bath together in a tub Laughing )

Well, on the same topic "#IR_Waltz / raajafm.com" combo, I'll have to post one more song.

There is one irritability with the radio station here - this song gets truncated Shocked (They keep playing the same version many times over the past few weeks, during the second interlude the song gets cut mercilessly and know what, nilA kAyudhu gets played rotfl )

Well, anyone who was a "youth" in 80's MUST HAVE some nostalgic memory with this EXTRA-SWEET-WALTZ-SJ-number:

orE muRai un dharisanam from en jeevan pAdudhu (R Sundarrajan & IR - what a combo for TFM)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He8898QRe1w

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:22 pm

At about 4 minute into this youtube, SPB says about the "#IR_Waltz" thingy in the evergreen song 'kAdhalin deepam onRu' Smile

The song he says is 2/4 (i.e. the regular thakadhimi-thakajunu) but the prelude is 3/4 (that AhA-AhA-AhA humming is waltz, until strings change the time signature and afterwards the song is regular chathusram) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOA6z6omg74

BTW, the interview is quite interesting, SPB in rare elements (caustic about current MDs - telling he even refused to sing a song after getting irritated by one ignorant MD, walked out Shocked )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:44 pm

காலைப்பயணத்தில் ராஜா எஃபெம்மில்  ஹிட் வால்ட்ஸ் மழை Smile

உதயகீதம் பாடுவேன், ராசாத்தி ஒன்ன, சந்தைக்கு வந்த கிளி - இப்படி.

இவற்றுள், தாளவாத்திய அமைப்பில் உதயகீதம் பாடுவேன் பற்றி சில வரிகள் சொல்லாமல் இந்த நாளின் வேலையைத் தொடங்க இயலாது Smile

பின்னணியில் எப்போதும் போல் ஜாஸ் ட்ரம்ஸ், இடையிசைகளில் காங்கோ வந்து போதல், பேஸ் கிட்டார் ராசாத்தனம், அதோடு கார்ட்ஸ் என்று பலசுவை உணவு சிறப்பு.

என்றாலும் இப்பாடலின் நட்சத்திர நாயகன் தபலா என்பது தெரிந்ததே.

த-கி-ட என்பதன் மேலைத்தேய வடிவமான ஜிங்-சக்-சக் (அழுத்தமான முதல் அடி மற்றும் மென்மையான 2,3 தட்டுகள்) தொடர்ந்து வருவதை பேஸ் கிட்டார் உறுதி செய்கிறது. கூடவே எப்போதும் செய்யப்படும் ராசா கிட்டார் ஜாலங்கள்.

தபலாவும் தகிட-தகிட நடையைப் பின்பற்றுகிறது என்றாலும், அதற்குள்ளே இனிமையான தகதிமி உருட்டல் ஒவ்வொரு சுழற்சியின் உள்ளேயும் "திணிக்கப்"படுகிறது Smile 

அதாவது, சந்திரக்கலா என்று சொல்லப்படும் இனிப்பில் உள்ளுக்குள் பால்கோவாவைத் திணித்து வைப்பது போல. 

நாவில் நீர் வரவைக்கும் தாளக்கருவி இசை - கண்ணில் நீர் வரவைக்கும் மெட்டு  & பாட்டு. 

எப்படியப்பா இப்படி ஒரு கற்பனை? 

ராஜசுகம்!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhQoZlgeIIE

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:05 pm

Wonderfully written sir! I can surely understand how much you are impressed by these songs, so am I. These songs are very special to me, because these are the first films/songs that I happened to watch/listen independently compared to accompany parents wherever they take us and like whatever they like. Needless to say, I am listening now as I am writing. Apart from the ones you already explained, every time I listen, I can hear trumpets cry not just play to highlight the mood/tense situation there. Popular film and still remember we were on the edge of the seat when we were watching this scene with the song. These kind of movie progressing with a song are all long gone.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:30 pm

Digression:

This reminded me of another thing. Quiz now Smile

Can you tell me a movie where the climax and end does not have any dialogues/score? A movie where just the song alone takes it to the climax and ends the film when the song ends. கலையின் உச்சம்!

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:37 pm

V_S wrote:Digression:

This reminded me of another thing. Quiz now Smile

Can you tell me a movie where the climax and end does not have any dialogues/score? A movie where just the song alone takes it to the climax and ends the film when the song ends. கலையின் உச்சம்!

Film ends but don't they show "No end..." on screen?
Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:41 pm

Yes it starts with displaying END, but adds NO END FOR ANY ART. To me, no film has impressed me more than this one, and I am sure no film will ever do it for me.

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:44 pm

if its "sAgara sangamam", I too have the same view.
No movie can ever better this one, in ny books.

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  raagakann Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:38 am

Kaadhal Oviyam film ends with the thumping "Sangeetha Jathi Mullai" song..

raagakann

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:46 pm

Yes it is indeed Saagara Sangamam. Just this name alone gives me goosebumps. Just the starting swaras (க...ம...நீ...கமகஸ மாகஸா ...மாகஸா கஸா... கஸா நீ ஸா நிதமக... நிதமக) of vEdham anuvanuvuna gives me shivers. Breath-taking experience.

Good catch on Kaadhal Oviyam and there could me few more too where songs alone did the screen writing (especially towards the climax/end).

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:59 pm

Link courtesy drunkenmunk in twitter Smile
https://t.co/9lT9Ujj9YI

3 lovely, sweet #IR_Waltz played by Prasanna for 3 min!

sendhoorappoovE, poovE sempoovE, do anything

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:09 pm

How about "thEn poovE poovE vaa thendral sEra" - Balu/Janu duet from "anbuLLa Rajinikanth" ?

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:06 pm

mythila wrote:How about "thEn poovE poovE vaa thendral sEra" - Balu/Janu duet from "anbuLLa Rajinikanth" ?

எனக்கு அது நான்கடி - சதுஸ்ர-  நடையில் கேட்கிறது (தகதிமி-தகஜுனு)...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:28 pm

IR says "யோசிக்கிறதெல்லாம் இல்லை - அப்படியே வருவதைத் தருகிறேன்". 

However, when one listens to certain songs it's unavoidable to get the thought that "ஒரு முடிவோட தான் இருந்திருக்காரு இந்தப்பாட்டை உருவாக்கினப்போ" Smile

Like this #IR_Waltz number from 1986. 
(When I search the movie's name on google, get irritated to see a 2010 movie with the same name coming up as top result. Re-using IR-movie titles should be banned).

When I heard it this morning in raajafm.com, right from the prelude, it sounded to me that IR went to the studio that day with a mindset, like, "இன்னிக்கு ஐயா honey-drip-mood-ல இருக்கேன். அந்த மாதிரி ஒரு பாட்டு இப்போ செய்றேன் பாரு" Wink

And the end result is 'mandhirap punnagaiyO" - what a sweet song!  

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:55 pm

Sometime back I was trying to form a theory that IR's hit songs may contain around 50% #IR_Waltz.

Two things pushed me to do a "successful exercise" for this theory this AM Smile

One, I got a new toy this weekend. 
(Got an 'IR-SPB-SJ' disc titled 'சீர் கொண்டு வா' from a store in Missisauga. It has 50 songs. Of course, as one can expect with such collections, all the songs aren't SPB Embarassed It contained 'mullai arumbE' and may be another MV song. Yet another song had a third singer along with the SPB-SJ pair. However, most songs are fabulous numbers.)

Second, I had an hour's drive this AM (instead of the usual 20 min commute), because of a specific need.

So, I did the "how much % is #IR_Waltz exercise" on this random collection by some spurious sales team. (I was surprised to see tons of such CDs and collections being sold inside a room in that "Kaveri" store and there was reasonable crowd inside as well. The guy had huge collection of DVDs as well. One would have thought such shops have become extinct in Americas but parts of Toronto are like SL or TN, so one shouldn't be surprised).

As it turned out to be, it was EXACTLY 50% Smile 25 out of those 50 songs are #IR_Waltz. (With one misra chApu song, nadhiyil Adum poovanam, 4/4 has less percentage than waltz on this collection Smile ) 

Well, one might ask "இதுக்கெல்லாம் ஒரு போஸ்ட்டா?" Laughing

So, to make such ones happy, here are a couple of #IR_Waltz that are included in that 'சீர் கொண்டு வா' , both SPB-SJ, from the iconic sippikkuL muththu album:

துள்ளித்துள்ளி நீ பாடம்மா 

கண்ணோடு கண்ணான என் கண்ணா (தெலுங்கு ஒரிஜினல்)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:25 pm

I'm not sure if this song was really a "hit" - but recently found this to have something catchy about it Embarassed

தென்றல் நீ தென்றல் நீ
(தந்துவிட்டேன் என்னை)

I don't think I've heard this song when it arrived (even though the director happens to be Sridhar - for whom IR gave some phenomenal songs / albums). 

Even when we discussed that misra chApu song (muththammA muththAlammA) recently in the corresponding thread, I didn't pay much attention to this album. (Supposedly actor Vikram's TF debut as hero). Years before, it didn't get cataloged in the IR-SPB thread - obviously due to unfamiliarity. After all these years, it took that Toronto CD to make me pay attention to this song too Embarassed

Sridhar must have a liking for the word "thenRal" - rOjAvaiththAlAttum thenRal / thenRal vandhu ennaiththodum. Possibly that's why he had another song starting with that word, in the voices of the famous SPB-SJ pair for this movie.

The song has that "somewhat irritating northie feel" for the pallavi rhythm arrangement. (CK can possibly relate - he had earlier mentioned in this thread about the countless conga drum "waltz" numbers in HFM that are boring). 

However, in the last line of the pallavi, the special "ahA ahA ahA ahA A haha haha huh-huh-hA", the lovely IR-SPB combo - voice + bass - entices us Smile The interludes (especially for the second saraNam) are terrific and IR carefully avoids this rhythm patten for the saraNam - replacing it with non-northie-IR-style Smile That last line humming in pallavi and the #IR_Waltz rhythm arrangement for saraNam are my fav portions in this song Smile

RajsMed's youtube upload has ok quality audio Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWFXTVzx0vE

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:03 am

ராசாவின் எந்தப்பாட்டையும் "இது சாதா" என்று நினைத்து விடக்கூடாது என்பதற்கான செயல்முறை விளக்கம் பல்லாயிரம் முறை கிடைத்திருக்கிறது.

என்றாலும், அவ்வப்போது நாம் ஒரு பாடலின் தொடக்கத்தில் சலிப்பு மனப்பான்மை காட்டி இன்னொரு முறை உதை வாங்குவது நடந்து கொண்டுதான் இருக்கிறது.

இன்று உதைத்த / உரைத்த பாடல் சுசிலா வெர்ஷன் தூரி தூரி தொம்மக்க தூரி (தென்றல் சுடும்).

அல்லாமலேயே எனக்கு இந்தப்பல்லவி வரி சலிப்பானது. (இதன் ஜானகி வெர்ஷன் முன்பு கேட்டிருக்கிறேன் - இனிமையாக இருக்கும்).

இன்று மேஸ்ட்ரோ ஆப் முதலில் சுசீலா வெர்ஷனை ஒலிபரப்பியது. மேற்கத்திய ட்ரம்ஸின் வால்ட்ஸில் தொடங்கி தபலாவுக்குப்பயணம்.

பிற்காலங்களில் வந்த ராசா பாடல்களில் அடிக்கடி காணும் "சுசீலாம்மா கஷ்டப்பட்டுப்பாடும்" நிலை. Sad

என்றாலும் மாற்றாமல், ஆனால் கொஞ்சம் சலிப்பு மனநிலையில் (வண்டி ஓட்டும்போது ஸ்கிப் செய்ய சோம்பேறித்தனத்தால்), கேட்டுக்கொண்டிருந்தேன்.

"அம்மா", "அம்மா" என்று பாடி நிறுத்துமிடம் வந்தது. (கிட்டத்தட்ட 1:45 நேரத்தில்).

"இப்போப்பாரு" என்பது போல் அடுத்த அரை நிமிடத்துக்கு ராசாவின் அற்புதமான கருவி இசை!

மெய் சிலிர்த்துப்போனேன்!

"இனிமேல் சலித்துக்கொள்வாயா?" என்று இடித்து / உதைத்துச்சொன்ன பாடல்!
http://download.tamiltunes.com/songs/__P_T_By_Movies/Thendral%20Sudum/Dhoori%20Dhoori%20-%20TamilWire.com.mp3

(என்றாலும் மீண்டும் ஒரு முறை இதே போல் அலுப்பு + உதை கொஞ்ச நாள் கழித்து நடக்கும் என்பதில் ஐயமில்லை)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:15 pm

Please check one of my earlier posts in this thread where I did an analysis of IR's 1976 output (as to how many were #IR_Waltz and what was the overall % and hit % and it indicated IR's specific preference of this time signature for his start-up period) :

https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t245p75-ir-s-waltz-hits#21395

app_engine wrote:ஆடிஓடிக் கடைசியில் புள்ளிவிவரத்துக்கு வந்தாச்சு Embarassed

So, IR had tisram as his springboard for the launch year! 
(BTW, it included all kinds - soft folk, rocking themmAngu folk, tablA light, "western" slow waltz)

Now, please check this post of UshakkA - where she has posted the latest IR interview (in a ladies' college) youtube:

Usha wrote:MOPRANGMANCH_ Ilayaraja's 75th Birthday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg7SzQxipC8

At about 23 minutes into this video, an interesting thing IR himself confesses Smile

That is about #IR_Waltz (3/4 time signature - roopakam). What I've actually talked about in the #IR_Waltz thread had been confirmed by Maestro himself - that there wasn't much use for this in TFM prior to him (by analysis, one cannot possibly get more than 1% of songs strictly set in roopakam, compared to the HUGE percentage jump in IR's works! I guess the 6/8 one deployed for dappAnguththu songs from time to time by the previous masters don't confirm to this...even though personally I chose to call all of them as #IR_Waltz, i.e. anything divisible by 3 Laughing )

நம்ம "இப்படித்தான், அப்படித்தான்" என்று ஊகித்துக் கொண்டிருந்ததை அவர் வாயாலேயே கேட்பது எல்லையில்லா இன்பம் Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6