Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IR's waltz hits

+8
counterpoint
mythila
app_engine
ravinat
V_S
Usha
crimson king
Drunkenmunk
12 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

IR's waltz hits - Page 5 Empty Re: IR's waltz hits

Post  mythila Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:00 pm

I think MSV's "min miniyai kaN maNiyAi kondavaLai" to be a nice waltz that should have inspired ARR to do "sahAnA saaral thoovudhO" of Sivaji.

V.Kumar's "kAdhOdu dhAn nAn pAduvEn" , another worthy consideration.

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:24 pm

counterpoint wrote:

For a quick change of flavor how about non-TFM waltz from IR?  Velaambal kelum from Olangal is one, a very popular one at that.

Please scroll up the previous page for my "opinion # 9" and the long post Smile

CK sir,
I'm not surprised about your giving credit to MSV for V Kumar's songs. Until I came to tfmpage.com in the late 90's, I was thinking that 'kAdhOdu dhAn nAn pEsuvEn' was MSV song Embarassed

That was partly because AIR stations except Vividh Bharathi never announced the name of MD or Lyricist for the songs. And an instrumental disk in our school with title 'Enchanting MSV' - or something like that - included this 'kAdhOdu dhAn' - played in accordian. Each year, girls used to do a "deepa nadanam" for that instrumental piece in our school Embarassed

More importantly, prior to IR, there was no "pOrALi fan" for ANY TFM MD (discussed in detail in another thread). So, anything prior to IR wasn't closely paid attention as to the name of the MD. Since MSV was the biggie, most people automatically assumed it was by him. (Much like some non-IRFs credit IR for a lot of 80's songs that he didn't do).

Reg MSV's waltz, I've posted above 'viLakkEtRi vaikkiREn' of soodhAttam - which was part of that same instrumental disk in our school.

Also, please refer my old post in the hub on those instrumental tracks:
SPB thread, post on iLa manadhu pala kanavu song

Interestingly, that dog-dog love song from selvi also is a lovely #IR_Waltz Smile

Another MSV favorite of mine is 'kalyANA vaLaiyOsai' song of urimaikkural - a slow folk song and a nostalgic number for me  (PS-TMS and PS is awesome in this song too).

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:12 am

counterpoint wrote:crimson, are you listening to Unnidam mayangigiren only now? Don't tell me. It is a one of a kind piano waltz.

Some of MSV's memorable waltzes that I can immediately think of:

kann pona pokkile kaal pogalaama
kalyaana naaL paarthukoLLalaama - great one, a favourite
ellorum nalam vaazha naan paaduven
kannan endhan kaadhalan- lively romantic waltz
naaLai indha veLai- great one, a very SouthIndianish waltz, memorable melody flow

Coming back to IR, not  a big fan of his mid-80s tabla waltz. Some of those songs were rescued more by interludes or by a decent tune/singing than by any ingenious use of waltz.

For a quick change of flavor how about non-TFM waltz from IR?  Velaambal kelum from Olangal is one, a very popular one at that.

Thaimaavin thanalil fom Yaathramozhi another memorable one

No, I have heard it before, at least a few times when I was a child (mum used to play all these old 60s/70s songs).  Must have heard it in Saptaswarangal/Ragamalika also.  But not being a big fan of MSV (esp NOT the orchestration) I never paid much attention to the instrumentation on Unnidam or Oru Naal.  Unnidam orchestration is superb. I will check out those MSV numbers also in due course.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:21 am

app_engine wrote:
counterpoint wrote:

Please scroll up the previous page for my "opinion # 9" and the long post Smile

CK sir,
I'm not surprised about your giving credit to MSV for V Kumar's songs. Until I came to tfmpage.com in the late 90's, I was thinking that 'kAdhOdu dhAn nAn pEsuvEn' was MSV song Embarassed

That was partly because AIR stations except Vividh Bharathi never announced the name of MD or Lyricist for the songs. And an instrumental disk in our school with title 'Enchanting MSV' - or something like that - included this 'kAdhOdu dhAn' - played in accordian. Each year, girls used to do a "deepa nadanam" for that instrumental piece in our school Embarassed

More importantly, prior to IR, there was no "pOrALi fan" for ANY TFM MD (discussed in detail in another thread). So, anything prior to IR wasn't closely paid attention as to the name of the MD. Since MSV was the biggie, most people automatically assumed it was by him. (Much like some non-IRFs credit IR for a lot of 80's songs that he didn't do).

Reg MSV's waltz, I've posted above 'viLakkEtRi vaikkiREn' of soodhAttam - which was part of that same instrumental disk in our school.

Also, please refer my old post in the hub on those instrumental tracks:
SPB thread, post on iLa manadhu pala kanavu song

Interestingly, that dog-dog love song from selvi also is a lovely #IR_Waltz Smile

Another MSV favorite of mine is 'kalyANA vaLaiyOsai' song of urimaikkural - a slow folk song and a nostalgic number for me  (PS-TMS and PS is awesome in this song too).

Exactly, I think at least until programmes like Then Kinnam began to be aired on TV, there wasn't even much discussion on the composer of these songs.  So I only knew that MSV was the great composer of the 60s and 70s (up to IR).  As for V Kumar, I am reminded of Nagesh's dialogue in Aboorva Sagotharargal, "Yaar da andha Rambo"!  Razz  I will excuse myself with an example of another gaffe: Madan Mohan's son Sanjeev Kohli once mentioned Master Sonik saying, after MM's death, that he had contributed to the composition of some songs and Kohli irately questioned whether Sonik had even composed.  Ahem, turns out he did, in partnership with Omi. And some fine songs too.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:14 am

CK,

LOL @ the Rambo reference. VK was popular as long as he was with KB. They had a fallout and VK lost his main benefactor and faded away commercially. So for his famous hits (as with Kaadhodu Dhaan and Oru Naal Yaaro), head to KB. Edhir Neechal was VK. So was Iru Kodugal. Vetri Venduma Pottu Paarada Edhirneechal, Thaamarai Kannangal, Sedhi Ketto, Aduthaathu Amboojatha Paathelaa are all popular songs. So is the case with Punnagai Mannan Poovizhi Kannan. Paappa Paattu Paadiya Bharathi Naan Dhaane is a personal favorite from Iru Kodugal on account of the song's picturization Razz 

KB's first film, Neerkumizhi, was scored by Kumar and it has the very famous Aadi Adangum Vaazhkkai Ada.

Another of a popular VK song would be Naan Unnai Vaazhthi Paadugiren Nee Vara Vendum.

Arangetram is also VK and Moothaval Nee is a beautiful melody from him. Likely to be easily mistaken as an MSV song.

Now I haven't bothered go listen and consciously pick out the waltz numbers from the songs above. Just mentioned them here on account of all of them being VK songs. I'd say he was a very good composer in this niche of slow, soothing melodies. But outside of that, pretty limited and several notches below MSV IMO on the overall variety of genres and moods and overall scale. But in his own way, he is good.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:45 am

V Kumar.....  sila paatu romba pidiikum.... Before IR... tamil songs sila ... 

idhil ellam IR irundhu irupar endru thondrum.........

Oorayiram karpanai.. migavum piditha paatu.. indha madhirii sila padalgalil..

Guitar work miga nanraga irukum.......

for Waltz......  one song.. V Kumar music endru ninaikiren... enakuk piditha paatu idhu........

Vellai manam konda pillai ondru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7F3cit3zuE

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:38 pm

Those sweet MSV samples by counterpoint (besides viLakkEtRi vaikkiREn / kalyANa vaLaiyOsai and some nAdan ones that I've mentioned like thAzhayAm poo mudinju / ennadi rAkkammA) can showcase that he could do decent variety with waltz.

However, that we need to search out and find just <10% from hundreds of hit songs perhaps proves my theory that he (or his team) was looking down on tisram in general.

Something like, "Hey, pick that only for some folk numbers or some "western" numbers. MOSTLY NOT for carnatic or light, it's low class" Embarassed

Compared to him, other MDs like V Kumar or even KVM were more kind towards it. However, they too typically picked it for slow western or nAdan kinds IMHO.

IMHO, APN would have told KVM, "aNNE, indhappAttu konjam folk mAdhiri varaNum but slow....not like the semi-classical shaNmugapriyA you did in 'maRaindhirundhE pArkkum', for the next one".

Thus, for the "folkish dance number" nalandhAnA, they picked tisram Wink

OTOH, even in albums like SindhuBhairavi (see my post in previous page) or sAgarasangamam, IR made sure waltz gets deserved gowravam Smile

We've already talked about mounamAna nEram as a 'tablA waltz' in salangai oli.

Are there some more?

Look at this Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qgOqg9kP4

That way the most popular two of salangai oli had this nadai Wink

Besides those two, there's also காவிரி மங்கை வந்தாளம்மா second portion of the nAdhavinOdhangaL song that didn't get picturized but pretty well-known to public!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:12 pm

@ DM Not really comparing V Kumar and MSV overall but just found the former's orchestration in those few songs very interesting.  Very different from MSV and closer, in terms of lightness, to IR.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:20 pm

I have heard all the five MSV numbers counterpoint mentioned.  Somehow couldn't recall them immediately; no space in the memory bank after allocating the same to IR, HFM and progressive rock.  Esp Naalai Indru is a favourite aana nyabhagam varlai.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:41 pm

crimson king wrote:@ DM Not really comparing V Kumar and MSV overall but just found the former's orchestration in those few songs very interesting.  Very different from MSV and closer, in terms of lightness, to IR.
Oh of course didn't mean to say you compared. That was just an unwanted nail on my part Razz
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:43 pm

crimson king wrote:I have heard all the five MSV numbers counterpoint mentioned.  Somehow couldn't recall them immediately; no space in the memory bank after allocating the same to IR, HFM and progressive rock.  Esp Naalai Indru is a favourite aana nyabhagam varlai.

Here is "nALai indha vELai pArththu" of uyarndha manidhan :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoVumrtuJds

Let me add another "bonus track", this one by Viswanathan Ramamoorthy :

unnai nAn sandhiththEn nee Ayiraththil oruvan, bongos waltz Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0kaOdXV21g

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:15 pm

I surprised myself with this "re-discovery" of a mid/late-80s MSV waltz, a fairly popular radio number at that time,

Mannikka maataya by KJY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvDO_0sSlBo

A melancholic waltz from IR. Once again he starts off with the classic waltz rhythm accompaniment in the pallavi and switches to classic tabla thisram in the charanams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvB4Tlmaq58
And this didn't go to Mano or Arunmozhi, thank god for small mercies

A relatively lesser known but trademark classic IR waltz with pulsating basslines from Aruvadai naaL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKiMAOZqihc
MeLaththa mella thattu..
Those were the days, when he could have composed/recorded devanin kovil moodiya neram in the morning session, had a quick lunch break and then came back and finished off this song in the afternoon session.
Imagine that.

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:15 pm

When talking about iconic albums (and especially when SindhuBhairavi gets mentioned), one that automatically comes to the mind of any average IRF is "mudhal mariyAdhai" Wink

Both got released in the same year and competed for NA (and each got some) and were immensely successful - both as movies and musicals.

While one is carnatic-thookkal, the other is a nAdan-special.

Interestingly, IR didn't make the nAdan one a 100% thakita-thakita tisram, considering the sophi background of the lead character Wink 
(It's also possible that NT liked chathusram and IR had to make the evergreen 'poongAtRu thirumbumA' in thakadhimi-thakajunu timing).

In any case, he gave 4 songs (2 regular ones and 2 short ones) in #IR_Waltz mode. 

"yEh kiLi irukku" the title song & "ERAdha malai mElE - pAttu chaththam kEkkalaya" were the short ones.
(The other short one,  'yEh kuruvi', where the lead char is in "kavingar" mode, IR switches to sophi mode and made it chathusram).

Of the 4 regular sized songs, he gave 50% to waltz.

The song that didn't get included on screen, 'rAsAvE onna nambi' is one. This is perhaps one of the very few songs in TF history that have obtained classic / evergreen status despite not being part of the movie on-screen.
(putham pudhukkAlai SJ version is another that quickly comes to mind).

The top-class-nAdan-tablA-waltz-with-terrific-bass-guitar had special picturization!

vetti vEru vAsam - one of my all-time-fav-TFM-numbers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0lYy2cdZrA

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:10 am

thumburu,

'kadhodudhaan' is a reworking of 'jeena yahan marna yahan' of Shankar Jaikishen. My friend's wife told me once that she found 'sahana saral' to be a sort of slower version of 'badan pe sitare lapete hue'. I sort of understand why she felt that.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:10 pm

Stepping away from the "iconic albums" for moment and getting some "puLLi vivaram" supporting my theory Laughing
(That of IR having 1/3 share of ALL his songs as tisram & 40% of hits as tisram)

We've earlier seen that 1976 had much above my suggested % but that year was quite "limited" in numbers (i.e. small numbers looking from IR domain...OTOH, there may be some international musicians who are world-famous and made millions but they possibly had only that many songs in lifetime and much less number of hit songs in their whole career)!

Here are the stats for 1977 IR, w.r.t. tisram % (of total songs and hit songs)...

IR's waltz hits - Page 5 1977_w10

There was a five fold increase in the # of movies (from 4 to 21) and likewise in the total number of "de-duped" melodies.

Obviously, such spurt could mean relatively less % of hits - but IR was remarkably consistent! Though not at 1976 levels, he was still scoring big (49 hit songs, of varying degrees, out of 85 total is terrific number, in one year)!

Now, coming to tisram / waltz percentages, once again they far exceed my proposed numbers Smile

Total tisram songs = 45, maintaining the same 52.94% as in 1976, despite increase in quantity! IR was still giving same importance to thakita-thakita in his 2nd year.

Out of his hit songs, tisram scored 59.18% (29 songs)  - though less than the huge 75% in the prior year, this is still remarkable as the size has increased!

So far so good, for my theory!

We'll analyze 1978 next week!!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:34 pm

With 1977 supporting my stats theory, I want to pick a special "iconic" album from that year and get those "waltz" for appreciation Smile

That was the year of such famous albums / movies as 16V, IO, BoK - from which we've showcased some songs in this thread already on prior posts.  This was the year of rising popularity of Rajinikanth - even though he had been active for a couple of years already. At the minimum, BoK is often listed as the "first positive role" for him Wink

Well, as for the IR-Rajini combo, there's another film that got released earlier than BoK. That album is remembered to this day by super singer junior level of fellows because of the terrific "chinnakkaNNan azhaikkiRAn" - kavikkuyil.

That was perhaps the first released movie to have this combo & that featured a song with Rajini on screen (even though the lead chinnakkaNNan role was played by sivamaindhar).

And that one is a "waltz" Smile

manOdum pAdhaiyilE (PS sings this sweet themmAngu, with fadAfat on screen with Rajini)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCsPFaZ2PzI

Then there was this 'kAdhal Oviyam kaNdEn kanavO ninaivO' - perhaps the first of singer Sujatha (kAlaippaniyil of gAyathri from the same year but a couple of months later).

That was sweet waltz too. I don't think the song got included in the movie - just in the audio disk.

Of course, the most popular song those days was the sweet SJ number 'kuyilE kavikkuyilE' which followed tisram!

Another SJ number which is one of my favorites then and now is the sweet slow-pathos number 'udhayam varuginRadhE' Smile

'udhyam varuginRadhE', waltz number, its youtube has Sridevi on screen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrpNKf74Gug

So, the iconic album had 4 waltz numbers (BTW, BMK's chinnakkaNNan was not one - it follows 4/4)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:01 pm

After a long time, I visited the PS thread (to post on her Guinness recognition) and was surprised to see my own post a few years back on "kaNNan oru kaikkuzhandhai" as waltz...I've forgotten that and once again posted in this thread
Embarassed
Embarassed
Embarassed

This is the shortcut to that post in rAsAththi thread Smile

a_e before three years wrote:
மூன்றடி சுழற்சியில் தகிட தகிட தாளம் வழக்கம் போல இனிமையும் ஓட்டமும் அளிக்கிறது! அடுத்த காலத்தில் நான் மீண்டும் மீண்டும் கேட்கும் பாடல்களில் பெரும்பான்மை இந்தத்தாள அடிப்படையிலேயே இருப்பது ஒரு வியப்பான நிலை தான்! ஒரு வேளை வயதாக ஆக வால்ட்ஸ் இசை அதிகம் பிடிக்குமோ என்னமோ...Embarassed (நேற்று முழுவதும் 'கையெத்தா தூரத்துக் கண் எத்தேணம்' வண்டியில் பாடிக்கொண்டிருந்தது!)

இவ்வகை மனநிலையில் விக்கி அவர்கள் சொல்வனத்தில் எழுதிய "இளையராஜாவின் ஜாஸ் வால்ட்ஸ்" கட்டுரை படிக்கவும், அதிலுள்ள இசைத்துளிகள் கேட்கவும் இதமோ இதம்!

http://solvanam.com/?p=19324

Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:07 pm

app,

kuyile kavi kuyile varuma ......

vaasilae poosani poo

velli kolusumani

Devadhai pol oru pen ingu.. paatu varuma........

Endhan vaazhkaiyil artham solla

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:43 pm

Usha wrote:app,

kuyile kavi kuyile varuma ......

vaasilae poosani poo

velli kolusumani

Devadhai pol oru pen ingu.. paatu varuma........

Endhan vaazhkaiyil artham solla

kuyilE kavikkuyilE - yes, I think it is mentioned in the post above Smile

vAsalilE, veLLi kolusu maNi, dEvadhai pOl ingu - these three songs also follow the tisra nadai (play in your mind tha-ki-ta-tha-ki-ta and the melodies will fit in)

endhan vAzhkkaiyin artham solla - is not tisram, it is 4/4 (tha-ka-dhi-mi-tha-ka-ju-nu)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:51 pm

While listening to some of the Jency songs for that thread (catalog-ing all the 28 songs that she has sung for IR), I noticed that a good number of them are #IR_Waltz Smile

Well, we've already seen the famous one "en vAnilE orE veNNilA" in this thread before. (This is yet to be listed in the Jency thread.) The other one from that movie that had both Sujatha & Jency versions - oru iniya manadhu isaiyai aNaiththuchchellum - is a sweet congo waltz as well. Then there is "idhayam pOguthE" of pudhiya vArppugaL that IR demonstrated to have symphonic connections. Then there's 'ennuyir nee thAnE' of priyA...

There's also this Jency-SJ duet from a not-well-known movie, thiripura sundari, which is of tisra nadai - vAnaththuppoongiLi.  

This song got introduced to me (and to those radio listeners of 70's) by AIR of course. I don't think I've listened to this song otherwise those days. Only after the internet era, I got reminded of this number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe_3pG1TmSQ

Interestingly, while playing this song in my mind this morning, I got "redirected" by my brain to the classic PS number "vasanthaththil Or nAL maNavaRai Oram vaidhEki kAthirundhALO" Smile There must be some connection between both the songs...please enlighten Sureshji / CK sir / Drunkenmunk / V_Sji...

From the comments section of the youtube of that moonRu deivangaL MSV number, I guess it was in dharbAri kAnada rAgam. (I believe isai mEdaiyil of IK also is of the same rAgam and in tisra nadai). Is this rAgam more used with tisra nadai?

Here is the youtube of "vasanthaththil Or nAL" (it's funny to see Nagesh with 4 sided heads - as BrammA)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asO-IBX8h4w

Is vAnaththup poongiLi of that rAgam too?

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:42 pm

Want to quickly review my earlier "opinions" in this thread before posting the next one Smile
(I myself don't remember them all due to the countless sweet samples that have flowed into this thread)

Here is a collection of all my prior 10 opinions on #IR_Waltz:

Opinion # 1 : 
IR's "waltz" songs are the most repeat-worthy (with absolutely no aluppu)

Opinion # 2 : 
IR's "waltz" songs are relatively "simple" and "easy-listening" which makes them repeat-worthy

#Opinion 3 : 
When IR is conscious that he is doing a waltz number, he makes sure additional ingredients are included (honey soaked melody, terrific otherwise arrangements etc) to make the song a super hit!

#Opinion 4 :
IR's preferred choice of thakita-thakita 3 beat cycle for "racy" songs often yields lovely "waltz" numbers that are sweet melodies yet racy and thus evergreen 

#Opinion 5 :
When the movie director says "Our last project (& possibly songs too) didn't do well and I must have a hit song this time", the MD chooses to have "sure-fire-waltz-hit" and IR is no exception 

#Opinion 6 : 
Waltz is a favorite of IR himself (and his predecessor, MSV)

#Opinion 7 :
Part A : IR chose to have AT LEAST ONE waltz number whenever he had an album of 5 songs or more. This is regardless of whether the album was a super hit one or happened to be for an unknown (worse, never released) movie! (I think this can be verified to be 99% correct easily and hence need not be even an opinion but just a statistical fact)

Part B : (This is definitely subjective and I myself plan to post exceptions soon) : While the Waltz number may not be the most innovative or most experimental song of the album in such 5 or more cases, it happened to be the most popular song either at the time of arrival or many years later 

Opinion 8 : 
IR got his love for Waltz from TN-Folk aka his "thAyppAl" !

Opinion #9 :  
The best tablA-waltz of IR were done in connection with albums that were either "common" to TFM-MFM or for directors who were prominent in "both these fields" (like BM / Fazil)!

Opinion #10 :
Almost all "famous" or "iconic" albums / movies of IR had a "waltz"! That is, regardless of the number of songs in the project (i.e. even without the >=5 clause...<5 but famous project)

Now, let's see what the next one is about...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:57 pm

The next one is somewhat difficult to express unlike the previous ones. Let me try Embarassed

Opinion # 11 :
Even in albums that are of "extraordinarily-experimental"  in nature, i.e. perhaps loaded with complex ICM-WCM, thus severely limiting the application of the "simple waltz", IR found space for it!

This is different from "iconic / famous" album concept. This is some "exclusive club" albums such as Guru (Malayalam), NEPV, HTNI, NBW.

Well, I've already specified examples of HTNI / NBW for a prior opinion #6...that way, this one is a sub-set of that or just expanding it Wink

Guru is really very interesting case. 

Most of us are familiar with the magnum opus in complexity, terrific arrangements etc - aruNa kiraNa - which is a  7 beat cycle number (tha-ki-ta-tha-ka-dhi-mi). So, there's no waltz business there.

Those exquisite & complex numbers, guru charaNam, dEva sangeetham, minnAram mAnaththu - all these are chathusram numbers (4/4). 

We're left with the "thaththAram" number and that too starts with the tha-ka-dhi-mi-tha-ka-ju-nu 4/4 Embarassed  I was feeling disappointed that such a landmark album was missing #IR_Waltz...well, it was not going to Smile

So, where is space for waltz? What happened to IR's love for it? 

I had to patiently wait for it to show up, LATER IN THAT SAME SONG! That is after the first saraNam and the pallavi after that ends! IR makes that terrific tempo change!

Please look at the youtube below, starting the time 3:13 (from "allal ellAm thinnaruLu")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhoqVfRJFaU

Now, NEPV - another magnum opus (despite using Yuvan and such voices for some songs Embarassed well, let me not go there but stick to tisram stuff)

As in the case of Guru, here too we have the "misra chApu" for the most complex number, kAtRaikkonjam niRkachchonnEn (thakita-thakadhimi 7 beat cycle). I've even wondered in one of my older posts about similarity of aruNa kiraNa & kAtRaikkonjam and now it's pretty simple to decipher as "same nadai' Smile

Four other special songs are 4/4 (mudhal muRai pArththa gnAbagam, sAyndhu sAyndhu, satRu munbu, ennOdu vA vA) and so is the YSR number "peNgaL enRAl poyyA" and even the part A of the fun song "pudikkala mAmu".

Well, we have that second half dappAnguththu portion following tisram (ada veedhi paththAdhE, indha ooru paththAdhE) but I wouldn't have been satisfied with that. (That is somewhat similar to MSV having that AL Raghavan song "once a pApA" in anbE vA). I want some DECENT portion of this special album....

Well, IR reserved waltz for the song that HE HIMSELF CHOSE TO SING in this extraordinary album!

"vAnam mella" is classic waltz (of course, V_Sji might get more technical and find out other patterns in this song but I'm satisfied that on the surface, there's #IR_Waltz, right from the bagpiper prelude)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzBrCSiwYGM

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:18 pm

app_engine wrote:Is vAnaththup poongiLi of that rAgam too?
Great catch app ji1 Yes the pallavi is surprisingly close to the pallavi of MSV number indicating dharbari kaanada clearly. anu-pallavi/charanams take a different route in tune, while it also maintains the same raagam (at-least to my ears).

Vaanam mella is a gorgeous beauty in 6/8 (most of the time), but Raja tricks here and there, especially the guitar portions. It falls into adi thaaLam, tisra nadai of course.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:01 pm

V_S wrote:
Great catch app ji1 Yes the pallavi is surprisingly close to the pallavi of MSV number indicating dharbari kaanada clearly. anu-pallavi/charanams take a different route in tune, while it also maintains the same raagam (at-least to my ears).

nanRi V_Sji!
I'm glad my mind is not playing tricks Smile

@AnithaJ also said in Twitter that there is "similar arrangement of notes" in a pallavi line Smile
(BTW, she is sister of Roshini who sang 'namma kAttula" with IR in pattiyal & my former team-mate)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:07 pm

Just for record, there is one album that meets the following criteria:

1.  5 songs

2.  "famous"

And yet, it does not have waltz / tisaram Shocked Embarassed

A rare exception indeed, coming from rAsA Embarassed 

Want to know the name of the album? 
Vikram (One song is thakita-thakadhimi 7 beat, meeNdum meeNdum vA, and the rest all 4/4)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next