Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3

+33
kameshratnam
soco_sri
mythila
crimson king
Wizzy
Shank
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
Sakalakala Vallavar
Manoj Raj
Kr
d22_malarr
ank
kamalaakarsh
irfan123
இசை
AbhiMusiq
vicks
panniapurathar
irir123
jaiganesh
Drunkenmunk
groucho070
prakash
V_S
plum
writeface
sagi
fring151
Raaga_Suresh
counterpoint
Balu
kiru
vaticanscientist
37 posters

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3 - Page 36 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3

Post  Raaga_Suresh Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:04 am

Ravi,

Give me a few days. Planning to write about a few songs of recent vintage where there are good counter melodies.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3 - Page 36 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3

Post  crimson king Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:01 pm

ravinat wrote:

Can't agree more. However, BRangan blog is all for popularity and there is no sincere attempt to understand what Raja does. Let us not go there. I will not drag CSR's name unnecessarily unless it is a serious question that he needs to respond. He has written all basics already in his blog and every serious Raja fan must read it. My point was more about Prasanna skating around the question of harmonizing ICM. This is serious stuff and I will be glad to hear counter points to Raja's methodology. However, there has not been one worthwhile composer who can talk or walk the talk.

Even Raja's 21st century work is shrouded in mystery and it takes a few solid experts to analyze this and get our heads around. We started to understand a lot of Raja's 80s work only after late 90s. Even today, most analysis (including some of mine) are focused on his 80s work. He is so freaking ahead of time that only the chasm is widening.

In the interest of transparency, when I traced his synth work, at times he applies his 80s ideas and in other occasions, he throws a curve ball that I completely miss. There are tons of such misses and we need to seriously make some mistakes, fall down, get up and walk so that we will understand it eventually. I do not think, I am even armed with the right arsenal to take on such a combat.

Have we understood the way he has been creating the NEPV style work? (I called it another indescribable Raja genre) - you cannot apply your good old harmony rules as he is breaking it while following it. Most of us pass things off as his use of syncopation and clever rhythm arrangement. There is more to it.  In his Rudramadevi and Abhaiyetho Ammaiyi, he uses techniques that appear to me that is a further refinement of his NEPV genre. We are so far behind that it will take us ages to catch up.

The other day, I was hearing 'Thatharam' from Guru (Malayalam 1995). How many of us have figured this composition? He starts off with a clever rhythm and you try to follow it only to find that he throws a typical light melody and when you are trying to almost dismiss it as another typical film song, he throws in a Western choir and when you try to catch that, he will complete that with a female folk chorus. When all this is going on, he will change the rhythm and throw you off base. This is a magnum opus composition that we have not figured out fully till date.

I only wish I get all 12 hours of my wakeup time to listen, analyze and understand the mind of this rare genius. The desire may be there, but one needs to have very deep training in understanding music at the atomic level like he does to figure out everything he does.

Sorry for the long post. The BRangan type of reference set me off on what should be the pure pursuit of any Raja fan.

Great post.  Yeah, my reference to Brangan commenters was just to bring out that IR's music is still misunderstood after so many years and hence underappreciated.  He is still regarded more as the pre-eminent composer of the 80s rather than as a seminal innovator who has in fact never stopped innovating.  Raja himself voiced his disappointment in a recent interview that the import of his works How to Name It and Nothing But Wind was not appreciated.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  AbhiMusiq Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:26 pm

app_engine wrote:
AbhiMusiq wrote:Sharreth gets ecstatic as he talks on Raja . Explains about his music, re recording and many other interesting facts during his interactions with raja. The sound quality is not that great,however the discussion in Malayalam should be more or less self explanatory for the forum to digest :--)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R04dv1p5Ts

Fantastic!

Thank you so much AbhiMusiq for sharing it here!

makkaLE, don't miss this - it's a treasure!  

What a flow - unadulterated, highly vocal & musically knowledgeable fan! 

When he talked about IR's gift to him - kaNgaL pongi vittana!

App,

As sharreth mentioned that raja's re recording is unmatched,he keeps saying that he had informed raja on how few visuals have not done justice to his score by quoting two songs. Iam not sure which KJY song is he referring there?Anyway sharreth wants to talk more and he closes his conversation stating that he may get emotional if he talks again...

AbhiMusiq

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:17 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing Abhimusiq. I heard it but it was quite noisy and I am not that acquainted with the language. If you or Inba sir can loosely translate (or just the gist), that would be much appreciated Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:38 pm

V_S wrote:Thanks a lot for sharing Abhimusiq. I heard it but it was quite noisy and I am not that acquainted with the language. If you or Inba sir can loosely translate (or just the gist), that would be much appreciated Smile

IMO, this has to be translated verbatim and kept as a reference! Coming from a person with significant musical background!!

I'll find time to listen again and post translation - may not happen immediately but it has to be done and will be done Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:02 pm

There is mention of IR but the news report is a worthy read even otherwise

நான்கு வருடங்களுக்கு முன் இட்லியும் காபியும் மட்டும் விற்கும் உணவகமாக இருந்தது, இன்றைக்கு இந்த வழியாக செல்லும் இசை அமைப்பாளர் இளையராஜா முதல் இயக்குனர் மிஷ்கின் வரை சாப்பிட்டுவிட்டு செல்லும் அளவிற்கு உணவகம் வளர்ச்சியடைந்துள்ளது.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:26 pm

Start with RDB and end with IR Laughing 

For RDB new was never an irreverence to the old, it was in fact built on it. But for R.D. Burman and Ilaiyaraja, I cannot think of music composers who bestowed so much dignity on modernity.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:06 pm

Yet another new MD with some IR reminiscence

“சொல்லப்போனால் பிளஸ் டூ பரீட்சை எழுதி முடிச்ச அடுத்த நாளே நேரடியாகக் கச்சேரிக்குத்தான் போனேன்” என்கிறார் ஜோகன். பாடகர் எஸ்.பி.பாலசுப்பிர மணியன் முதல் இளையராஜா வரை பல இசை மேதைகளோடு நெருங்கிப் பழகி அவர்கள் இசையை அருகிலிருந்தே அனுபவிக்கும் வாய்ப்பை லஷ்மண் ஏற்படுத்திக் கொடுத்தார். “நாங்க அந்தக் காலத்துல உருவாக்குன இசையை இந்தக் காலத்துல நீங்க மறுபடியும் வாசிக்கும்போது புதிய தொழில்நுட்பங்களுக்கு ஏற்ற மாதிரி அதை மாற்றி பயன்படுத்தக் கத்துக்கணும்” என இளையராஜா சொன்ன அறிவுரை பொக்கிஷம்போன்றது என மகிழ்கிறார்.

அதிலும் 2008-ல் இளையராஜாவைக் கவுரவிக்க லஷ்மண் ஸ்ருதி ஆர்கெஸ்ட்ரா நடத்திய ‘ஒன் மேன் ஷோ’ நிகழ்ச்சியில் இளையராஜாவுக்கு அருகில் நின்று அவருடைய ‘திருவாசகம்’ ஆல்பத்தை கீபோர்டில் வாசித்தது ஜோகனுக்கு மறக்க முடியாத அனுபவம். இந்தக் காலகட்டத்தில் டிரம்ஸ் சிவமணியிடம் சவுண்ட் புரோகிராமிங் செய்ய ஆரம்பித்தார்.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:11 am

Ramgopal Varma briefly mentions Ilaiyaraaja in his 3hr interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kxe8YPZWZU 

Scroll to 1:07:04. RGV says that there will be always superhits by many composers, but any new composer entering the field comes with the aspiration to become another Ilaiyaraaja. And that individual style of Raaja is what that created an impact on people, irrespective of Raaja music being saleable or not today.
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Listening to Saathu Nada and noticed that IR used a lot of fretless bass in the 90s.  A kind soul has uploaded an excellent remaster of this song which makes the recording sound much better, but maybe the fretless bass takes away the punch Raja fans were used to.  I am NOT saying that using it was a bad idea; on the other hand, it's great that he moved on to something different.  Just that, as was typical of the decade, the fans weren't always ready to hop in for the ride.  

Also feel this song should be added to the IR-jazz collection.  It's not outright jazz but the chords in the charanam definitely bring out the flavour.  It's very subtle, like he married the chords of some jazz standard that I may or may not have heard to great Carnatic phrases. Again, the problem is I am only able to really notice the chords with this remaster.  The versions that aired on TV at the time simply lacked the necessary definition to follow the chords closely.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:43 pm

app_engine wrote: Start with RDB and end with IR Laughing 

For RDB new was never an irreverence to the old, it was in fact built on it. But for R.D. Burman and Ilaiyaraja, I cannot think of music composers who bestowed so much dignity on modernity.

From the article: " The song from the film Aandhi, “Tere Bina Zindagi Se Koyi” has been heard by nearly four million people online, a record that no other Hindi film song has been able to match."

..and Gangnam Style and Kolaveri have many million more views.  I really, really dislike these kind of popularity validations.  Just because a lot of people listen to a song over and over doesn't necessarily mean it's special.  Tere Bina Zindagi is a great song in my opinion too but there is no need to go on a mystique hunt just because it has so many hits.  I personally prefer the other Tere Bina (from Ghar), also a Lata-Kishore duet and again mostly Lata.  I also prefer Ghar's music over Aandhi though they are both among RDB's finest.  I have a theory: soon after RDB's death, Anu Malik did a tribute to RDB for Zee Tv, curating a selection of songs and discussing them.  Nearly every one of them has since been enshrined in immortality, rightly or not.  O Mere Dil Ke Chain, Chingari and then this one.  There were others that I can't recall anymore.  So people should not attach too much importance to such pop culture phenomena.  RD has a vast catalog with many underrated songs/sound tracks and listeners should dig deep to find the hidden treasures, just as we Raja fans are already accustomed to doing.  Wink

I also disagree with the conclusion.  RDB was a clean break from the old Hindi composers.  He put more thrust on rhythm (you can see even in a melody song like Tere Bina Jiya the beat is so catchy) and combined it with very staccato singing (a factor which probably caused discomfort for Rafi in the songs he rendered for RDB), replacing the melody-driven lazy legato days of yore and easing out the earlier ghazal based tradition.  Of course everything begins to appear nostalgic and quaint given plenty of time but the interludes of a song like Lekar Hum Deewana Dil had no precedence in Hindi music at the time and not even SJ, one of the few 'foot tapping' composers before RD, would have conceived something like that in their wildest dreams.  

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  raagakann Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:54 am

Saru Nivedita does a U-turn in this week's Kumudham article.  He talks about his friendship with Myskkin and apologizes for his IR-bashing in the past....!  He claims that he was brought up with the music of pre-IR MDs.  When IR came into film music, he had moved to Delhi and never heard IR's music..!  When he returned back, it was Rahman's music which greeted him...!  However he got bowled by the stunning symphonic music of Oonaayum Aattukuttiyum and hence the transformation... மகிழ்ச்சி..

raagakann

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:05 pm

raagakann wrote:Saru Nivedita does a U-turn in this week's Kumudham article.  He talks about his friendship with Myskkin and apologizes for his IR-bashing in the past....!  He claims that he was brought up with the music of pre-IR MDs.  When IR came into film music, he had moved to Delhi and never heard IR's music..!  When he returned back, it was Rahman's music which greeted him...!  However he got bowled by the stunning symphonic music of Oonaayum Aattukuttiyum and hence the transformation... மகிழ்ச்சி..

rotfl2

Sorry thiru Ragakann avargaLE. ungaLa pAthu sirikkala. Charu va paathu dhAn sirikkarEn. idhukkoru appropriate reference irukku.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/8156921

Where Sendhil = Charu, Gounder = Mafia, "pAttan muppAttan" = IR predecessors, "desiya uNarvu" = IR bakthi, "oru nimsathula" = OAK score (which is still pretty much a minuscule sample of Raaja's genius).
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:23 pm

R Sundarrajan reminiscence

ராஜாதி ராஜா' படப்பிடிப்பு முடிந்து முதல்பிரின்ட் காப்பியை ரஜினியும், இளையராஜாவும் ஸ்கிரினில் பார்த்துவிட்டு வெளிவந்தனர். ரஜினி வீட்டுக்கு சென்று விட்டார். 

என்னை அழைத்த இளையராஜா, 'ரஜினிக்கு 'நெஞ்சத்தொட்டு சொல்லு..' பாட்டு பிடிக்கலே ரொம்ப ஸ்லோவா இருக்குனு சொன்னார் அதனால தூக்கிடுங்கனு சொன்னார் எனக்கு செமகோபம். 

'ராஜாதி ராஜா' ரிலீஸாச்சு ரெண்டுநாள் கழிச்சு என்னை அழைத்த ராஜா 'ரஜினி இப்போ 'நெஞ்சத்தொட்டு..' பாட்டை  படத்தோட சேர்க்கச் சொல்றார்' னு சொன்னார். நான் முடியாதுன்னு சொல்லிட்டு வந்துட்டேன். 

ரஜினியும், இளையராஜவும் நான் இயக்கிய பாடல் காட்சியை அலட்சியம் செய்தனர் அதனால் அவர்கள் கருத்தை நான்  உதாசீனம் செய்தேன்"

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:31 pm

SPM applying that nonsense "grows on you" logic for a totally inappropriate song - Asai nooRu vagai Laughing 

‘ஆசை நூறு வகை’ பாட்டு. ரஜினியும், டிஸ்கோ சாந்தியும் சேர்ந்து ஆடும் காட்சியைப் படமாக்கும் வேலையில் இறங்கினோம். 

அந்தப் பாடலை தயாரிப்பாளர் துவார கேஷ் கேட்டுவிட்டு, ‘‘பாட்டு ஸ்லோவாக இருக்கிற மாதிரி தெரியுதே?’’ என்று ஃபீல் பண்ணினார். 

‘‘இளையராஜா பாடல் அது. முதன்முறை கேட்கும்போது அப்படி தெரியும். இரண்டாவது முறை கேட்டால் இனிமையாக இருக்கும். மூன்றாவது முறை கேட்கும்போது சூப்பர் ஹிட் லிஸ்ட்ல இருக்கும்’’ என்று நானும், ரஜினியும் சொன்னோம். 

துவாரகேஷ் அரைகுறை மனதோடு, ‘‘உங்களுக்கெல்லாம் ஓ.கே என்றால் எனக்கு ஓ.கே!’’ என்றார். பாட்டை பட மாக்கி முடித்து பார்த்ததும் அவருக்கு மிகப்பெரிய நம்பிக்கை வந்தது. படம் ரிலீஸானதும் அந்தப் பாட்டும், நடனமும் சூப்பரோ சூப்பர் ஹிட்! இத்தனை ஆண்டுகளுக்குப் பிறகும் இப்போது அந்தப் பாட்டை ரீமிக்ஸ் செய்கிறார்கள். அதுதான் இளையராஜா! 

Even a pAmara fan those days liked 'Asai nooRu vagai' instantly. 

What is this "liking in 3rd listen" nonsense business?

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:55 pm

Except for the Thaarai Thappattai episode (which obviously does not work for me), it a must watch. Gangai Amaran talks in detail about Maestro and his thought process involved in composing. Some really nice insights on vasantha kaala kOlangaL, karagaaattakkaaran, annakkiLi, his masterpiece orchestration and re-recording techniques for some dumb scenes and much more. Another thing which I don't like is where he credits/includes his name (he adds 'naanga') everywhere along with his name for composing  Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:56 pm

V_S,

apo pesina andha vaayy adhu vera.. indha vaay.. idhu vera pola iruku. vera enna solradhu......

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:10 pm

From Violin Vicky.......

The quiz is cracked in FB. The answer is "Vaalibam Vaazhga". FB removed old video link. New link is: https://www.facebook.com/vignesh.subramanian.399/videos/vb.1089469142/10210088176416147/?type=3&theater …

Beautiful finding........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:58 pm

Prabhalini and queen cobra

எல்லாவற்றுக்கும் மேலாக இசை உலகின் பிரம்மா, இசைஞானி இளையராஜா அவர்களிடம் தனது அல்பத்தை சந்தித்து கொடுத்தது மட்டுமின்றி அவரது ஆசீர்வாதத்தையும் பாராட்டையும் பெற்றவர் பிரபாலினி என்பது பெருமைதான்.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:22 am

Sounder writes about MSV

பின்னாளில் எத்தனையோ புகழாரங்களை மெல்லிசைமன்னர்கள் பெற்றாலும் , அதில் அதியுயர் பாராட்டாக, அதே துறையில் யாரும் எட்டாத சிகரங்களைத் தொட்ட இசைஞானி இளையராஜா ,மெல்லிசைமன்னர்களின் இசை எவ்விதம் தன்னை பாதித்தது என்பதை விளக்க முனைந்தமை சிறந்த பாராட்டாக அமைந்தது

” நான் ஒரு இசைக்கலைஞனாக இந்த உலகத்தில் நடமாடிக்கொண்டிருப்பதன் முக்கியமான காரணம் அண்ணன் விஸ்வநாதன் அவர்களும் , மெல்லிசைமன்னர் ராமமூர்த்தி அவர்களுமே ! ஏனென்றால் நான் பிறந்த கிராமத்திலே இசை கற்றுக் கொள்ள விரும்பினாலும் அங்கே சொல்லிக் கொடுக்க யாருமில்லை.அந்தக் கிராமத்திலே அவர்களுடைய பாடல்கள் ஒலிக்காத நாளெல்லாம் விடியாத நாள் என்று தான் எங்கள் பொழுதுகள் கழிந்தன……உணர்வுமயமான அவர்களது நாதம் என்னுடைய நாடி , நரம்பில், இரத்தத்தில் உடம்பில் எல்லாம் ஊறிப்போனதால் தான் !

இது தான் மெல்லிசைமன்னர்கள் பெற்ற அதியுயர் பாராட்டு என்பேன்.அவர்களின் இசைக்கு கிடைத்த மாபெரும் வெற்றி என்பது அவர்களது இசை, ஒரு மாபெரும் கலைஞனை உருவாக்குவதில் எவ்விதம் பங்காற்றியிருக்கிறது என்பதே!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:03 am

RS has written what I wrote here few months back after the tribute concert. That its was the greatest tribute any MD could get. But it is good to see an industry insider recognizing this and wriitng about it.

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:36 pm

veLi varAdha pAdal "piRandha" kadhai

S Ramakrishnan wrote:
படித்துறை என்ற சுகாவின் முதற்படம் எதிர்பாராத காரணங்களால் இன்றுவரை வெளியாகவில்லை. ஆகவே பாடல்களும் வெளியாகவில்லை. சுகா மனம் சோர்ந்து போனார். பின்பு புதிய நம்பிக்கையுடன் பாபநாசம் படத்திற்காக கமல்ஹாசனுடன் இணைந்து வசனமேம்பாடு மற்றும் உச்சரிப்பு பணிகளுக்கா வேலை செய்ததுடன் தூங்காவனம் படத்திற்கு வசனம் எழுதி தனது வெற்றியைத் தேடிக் கொண்டார். இப்போது சுகா புதிய படம் ஒன்றை இயக்குவதில் ஈடுபட்டிருக்கிறார். அதுவும் நிச்சயம் பெரிய வெற்றிபெறும்.

மக்களின் காதுகளை சென்று அடையாத எனது முதற்பாட்டினை இன்னொரு முறை கேட்கவேண்டும் என்ற ஆசை சமீபத்தில் ஏற்பட்டது. சுகாவிடம் போனில் சொன்னேன். உடனே அப்பாடலை அனுப்பிவைத்தார்.

பாடலை திரும்பக் கேட்டபோது ஒரு எழுத்தாளனாக என் மீது கொண்டு அன்பிற்கு சாட்சியாக இப்பாடலைப் பரிசாகத் தந்த இசைஞானிக்கும் சுகாவிற்கும் என்ன செய்துவிட முடியும் என தோன்றியது.
எழுத்தாளனிடம் இருப்பது சொற்கள் மட்டும்தானே.

நன்றி... நன்றி... நன்றி என மூன்று முறை மனதிற்குள் சொல்லிக் கொண்டேன். நன்ற என்பது சிறிய வார்த்தைதான். ஆனால் மனதின் ஆழத்திலிருந்து வெளிவரும் சொல். நிச்சயம் மழைத்துளியைப் போல அன்பின் ஈரத்தை வெளிப்படுத்தும் என்றே தோணியது.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:27 pm

Indian Express connects IR to kabAli

Citing the example of musician Ilayaraja, P Ramajayam, a political analyst, says, “While Dalits had the ability and talent that made several projects successful, many of them remained invisible because they didn’t have financial muscle or godfathers in the industry. The industry always ran on the capital of Chettiars or Gounders or Marwadis and rarely had any Dalit entrepreneurs. But with movies such as Madras, there has been a change.”

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:23 pm

Actually good connection.
Raaja had the guts to say 'no thanks' to AVM group and other influential groups.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:03 am

First look
Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3 - Page 36 Imagejpeg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next