Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Football World Cup

+3
fring151
V_S
Drunkenmunk
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2014 Football World Cup Empty 2014 Football World Cup

Post  Drunkenmunk Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:29 pm

The biggest sporting event in the World for an individual sport probably deserves a separate thread.

Starting with this wonderfully articulate and funny rant from John Oliver on discerning the World Cup from FIFA:

Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

2014 Football World Cup Empty Re: 2014 Football World Cup

Post  V_S Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:46 pm

Thanks DM for opening this thread. I am not a huge fan of football but I never missed any World cup matches since 1982 (first time at home on a color TV). My favorite team always being Argentina. I have been eyeing for their win since 90 where they lost by a lame penalty by Andreas Brehme and a very bad play by Germany. Somehow I never had good regards for German team after that. I even want Netherlands/ England to win one. Last time Netherlands were too close, except Spain were too good.

Let's see if Messi and team breaks their long curse this time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:29 pm

I like Argentina perennially. Their system and internal politics is fucked up every time. But the flair they bring to the table is too good. This time though Germans have an amazing team imo. Brazil are perennial favorites and the world fancies them. Enough reason to not fancy them personally.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:01 pm

A post by Suhrith Parthasarathy on tracking Iran and its football history through its political discourse and ending at the 2014 WC. Superb:

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/politics-and-law/brief-history-modern-iran-told-soccer-82908/
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:11 pm

World Cup begins today between Brazil, the host nation, and Croatia. Ahead of it, a sober documentary on the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar and how truly appalling Qatar and FIFA are. Shocking levels of human rights abuse and this is nothing short of criminal:

Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:40 am

This has been known for a long time now. Human rights has never featured highly in the list of priorities of oleaginous oligarchs or in other words, Arab Sheikhs. What will be interesting to see is if any of the morally upright western governments initiate sanctions or boycotts against the Qatari govt like they did promptly with Russia. 

Hint: they won't.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:45 am

Brazil got an undeserved win today. A penalty for that 'foul' was a joke.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:20 am

V_S wrote:Thanks DM for opening this thread. I am not a huge fan of football but I never missed any World cup matches since 1982 (first time at home on a color TV). My favorite team always being Argentina. I have been eyeing for their win since 90 where they lost by a lame penalty by Andreas Brehme and a very bad play by Germany. Somehow I never had good regards for German team after that. I even want Netherlands/ England to win one. Last time Netherlands were too close, except Spain were too good.

weird..you must be one in million..how do you keep track of players then?
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:47 pm

fring151 wrote:This has been known for a long time now. Human rights has never featured highly in the list of priorities of oleaginous oligarchs or in other words, Arab Sheikhs. What will be interesting to see is if any of the morally upright western governments initiate sanctions or boycotts against the Qatari govt like they did promptly with Russia. 

Hint: they won't.
Of course. They wouldn't want their oil supplies hurt. But I do hope something does get done and Qatar faces music.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:07 pm

fring151 wrote:Brazil got an undeserved win today. A penalty for that 'foul' was a joke.
1966 la England'um 1978 la Argentina'vum seyyAdhadhA? Razz
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:05 am

Can't believe Spain's defense is this poor. Last season, they were known for the defense. They never conceded any goal in the knock-off stage. (Round of 16 Spain vs Portugal (1-0), Quarterfinals Spain vs Paraguay (1-0), Semi-finals Spain vs Germany (1-0), Finals Spain vs Netherlands (1-0). See the same pattern, astonished!! So tough they were in defense. Exactly at the rush of the hour they would score that solitary goal (so that opponent don't have much opportunity and time to equalize or win) to win every knock off match and the title. Two lucky goals for Netherlands, but nothing to take way from their resounding victory. Robben and Van Persie's day. They played like a revenge for the last season finals. Great resounding victory.

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:59 am

Anyone who first saw World Cup in 1986 will go for Maradona and Argentina. But for me its Zico and Brazil. The pains as a 16 year old in 1990 with a below par rowdyist anti-football Argentina sneaking past a silken but impotent-before-the goal Zico's Brazil still hurts despite the 2 titles later - none of those Brazil teams had the allure of Zico's artists. Those guys put the love of artistry before winningness as a philosophy in my min d- and they were probably the least worthy among the 1982 1986 and 1990 Brazil sides.

I just wonder what it might be for fresh fans from 1982 - to be introduced to the pinnacle and only downhill from there: and Socrates' brilliant winning is not everything philosophy must have washed away any pains of losing the actual cup to Italy. 

By default I am inclined to support even the worshtu brazil team but this one looks a stretch to support even for me.

I had an instinct Holland will do well - but wisely restrained from saying it out. 

England should do well now - looks like it is THAT kind of a world cup brewing now.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:03 am

Wizzy wrote:
V_S wrote:Thanks DM for opening this thread. I am not a huge fan of football but I never missed any World cup matches since 1982 (first time at home on a color TV). My favorite team always being Argentina. I have been eyeing for their win since 90 where they lost by a lame penalty by Andreas Brehme and a very bad play by Germany. Somehow I never had good regards for German team after that. I even want Netherlands/ England to win one. Last time Netherlands were too close, except Spain were too good.

weird..you must be one in million..how do you keep track of players then?
Make it 2 or several in a million. Many are like this as twltter proves - a lot of us capable of reasonably pretending to be football knowledgeable without anything more than once in 4 years investment of a month Smile

Football gives me the pleasure of primal tribal instincts that Cricket doesnt give - its always the players and beauty of the game that I relate to in Cricket.
Football is all about politics for me - Europe should fail; South America and Africa should do well ;would be happy if Asia did well but they won't; North America - only mexico. 
Which means there will be atleast 3 European teams in the Semis and 2 in the finals this time Smile

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:25 am

I don't watch the leagues either but football is publicised so much I know who are the stars, who are the players to look out for.  Didn't stay up late for yesterday (today's) match but caught the goals on youtube.  Simply outstanding stuff, Spain must be gobsmacked.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:05 am

plum wrote:Football is all about politics for me - Europe should fail; South America and Africa should do well ;would be happy if Asia did well but they won't; North America - only mexico. 

Ada namme settu  Razz . 

Been playing the game for close to 15 years now. Oru kaalathula, big fan of watching also. I seem to be saying that for all sports these days. Tennis watching stopped when Fed's decline began, cricket bandh after first 2 years of IPL, football stopped after Zidane's retirement in 2006, though I did continue to watch the odd Barca games for the artistry and eye-pleasing style of Tiki-taka football.

But I don't see any sense in Indians rooting for or buying jerseys of Arsenal and Chelsea, or worse random clubs like Tottenham (Yes, I have known a Tottenham fan). Admiration and fandom of individual player I can understand, but these desi hardcore club fans amuse me. Ada engirundhu indha foreign clubs mela ivLO pattru vandhadhu? EdharkkAga vandhadhu? IrundhAlum CSK, MI ku support panra koottatha ninaikkum pOdhu, idhungalE paravaa illa nu thaan thOnudhu...

In 2002, I rooted for Brazil, in 2006 I rooted for France, but only because of Zidane (who happens to be of Algerian origin  Razz ). Last time  I backed Spain for the sheer beauty of their passing game. This time, I am supporting Brazil, though as always, I will be very happy if an African team reaches the final stages and/or wins it  Smile.

And speaking of Zidane, here's a brilliant compilation of who I consider the most versatile footballer eva!

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:44 am

Finally watched the Oliver rant. ppahhh, brilliant, chance-less!  Very hard hitting and at the same time very funny.  The parallel between football and organised religion was ultimate.  Also, "If your name is Sepp, at the bare minimum, you must have strangled somebody in a bar fight." Razz

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:02 am

"If you are American, soccer is something you pick your 10 yr old daughter up from" is also pretty hilarious cos it's so true! It would be even more cool if Oliver was more "English" i.e., straight faced, deadpan in his delivery, but I guess the over the top, dramatic American comedy style has gotten to everybody these days, including Brits  Smile

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:09 am

Yeah, basically, for American audience, you have to laugh and say joke for them to get it.  I still do enjoy stuff like Big Bang Theory, not complaining.  But yeah, this is Brit humour 'customised' for American tastes.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:20 am

Few things warm the heart like a good old English defeat in sports. But love 'em or hate 'em, there is no denying Brits make the best football commentators. And their awesomeness does not get any more evident than when you have two parallel streams of the game running on your laptop - one with American commentary and the other with English commentary.

The 'Muricans can hardly stop yapping at the commentary box, but the Brits - ah, what a pleasure to listen to. You can begin to understand the origin of the old adage "silence is golden". And happily, those silent stretches get longer and longer as an England defeat becomes more and more imminent and the commentators fall almost completely silent, simply letting you take in the momentousness of the occasion, the frenzied atmosphere in the stands, the crowd chanting..Lovely stuff.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:22 am

So good to see the Poms bite the dust again.  Of course the rest of the world, except English fans who dream of the Cup each time (!), expects and waits gleefully for this result.  Guess they are knocked out now?

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:58 am

Virtually knocked out. To qualify for the knockouts, they need to win their last game and also hope Italy wins their next 2. Then it will come down to goal differences. Barring a minor miracle, they are out.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:37 am

Best news of the World Cup so far. England are almost knocked out Razz
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:02 pm

mangaLam prasidhamA angilEya Smile. uruguay maruguay will maNNa kavvify against Italy chutney but this one event is enough for this world cup. inimE italy jeyichAlum sandhOshamE

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:12 pm

Total shit from Uruguay. Suarez laugh also on a side note, aNil'ukkE indha gadhi'naa Seedhai'ki enna gadhi? Razz But equal shit from Italy. Anyway good to see a South American team get the better of a European team Razz
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:36 pm

Missed the Suarez incident, bt surely they are going to replay it to death. Yup glad the Italian are out. I despise them, though perhaps a little less than England speaking of which it is slightly disappointing they are exiting on a high note (on a draw). Would have loved to see them get thrashed again.

Oh and just saw England lost with one ball to spare. Hip hip hurray.  applause

I hate SL too, irundhum ippadi sandhosha padrEna, Englishkaaran mEla evLo luv nu pAthukkOnga.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next